HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Out of Shape Firefighters Costing the County Money
Posted by: Fit For Duty ()
Date: May 31, 2011 11:41AM

I just wanted to let the citizens know, there are out of shape firefighters costing the county money. We have an annual Work Performance Evaluation. It's a series of stations that you go through while wearing firefighter gear and while using their SCBA. The time limit is 10:47, and consists of stations such as a hose drag, ladder throwing, a dummy drag, forcible entry, etc. We're supposed to do mandatory physical training every work day to maintain our physical preparedness.

Certain individuals choose not to do much exercise throughout the year, and then try and get in shape a month os so before this annual test. If they fail, they go on light duty until they pass, costing the county money by earning a paycheck while not doing their assigned job, and also for OT to cover their temporarily vacant position. Fair enough for that, maybe. What I find insulting is that there are certain units that are scheduled to go to our Wel-Fit facility, where the test is held, while on duty, to practice for the exam, while the unit is out of service for several hours, multiple times leading up to the exam. what's more, some of these same individuals choose to call in "sick" when it's their day to take the exam. This also costs the county in OT, and also requires them to take the employee's unit out of service for two days rather than just one in order to take the exam. You're supposed to be exercising throughout the year to be fit for duty, not get special treatment to enable your laziness.

I felt the citizens need to know this.

BTW, word on the street is that one of the worst offenders, Lt. Boswell, showed up to work yesterday, found out that we had an outdoor drill during morning lineup, and then decided to go home "sick" generating even more OT obligations. Demand that the county not cater to these individuals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Out of Shape Firefighters Costing the County Money
Posted by: WowDude ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:07PM

In a department that large, I'm not surprised it happens. I'm sure the same thing happens in the military. Unfortunately, I don't see a solution. Certainly if there were one, it wouldnt be going onto a public forum and undercutting your department. This sounds more like a personal attack thread, especially with the recent postings of the FD in other threads.

You are a troll.

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:09PM

I sense an anti-Fire Department agenda here.

Posted by: Anon ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:16PM

I see alot more out of shape cops than firefighters, granted we all do see more cops on a daily basis than firefighters.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:20PM

I'm pretty sure that the fire department puts firefighters that can't meet the physical requirements on some sort of probation. If they don't meet the requirements by a certain time, they will be let go. I doubt that a firefighter can go 20 years without passing the physical requirements in the way the original poster described.

Posted by: Fred Suckaluski ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:26PM

Both the Fire Department and the Police Department Have some very Large Men and Women. These individuals couldn't run a city block if they tried. Think I'm kidding just spend a day at the County's Public safety Center where the Court hose is, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Posted by: CERTifiable ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:38PM

You CERTainly should stay in shape!

Posted by: No one in particular ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:51PM

The OP means that every year, the firefighter fails the test, goes on light duty, and then passes it later on. While on light duty, the county pays OT to cover their spot in the field. Also, unless you do something racist, sexist, are late four times in a year, beat the $hit out of someone, or have a recurrence of substance abuse, it's really difficult to get fired. Especially if you're a member of a protected class.

90% of the department's members are motivated and hard working, it's the other 10% that want a paycheck without having to do anything, or are just in it for the benefits and the schedule.

Posted by: Dead horse ()
Date: May 31, 2011 02:23PM

All of which are sentiments repeated over and over again in this forum. Way to bring the family fight into the streets!

What do you suggest we do? Force the failed-physical-testees (and testes) to keep working? Then what? They get hurt? And then sue the fuck out of the county for forcing them to work when they knew they shouldn't? Maybe we shouldn't have a physical test at all? No one can fail a test that isn't administered! That'll save the county tons!

How bout instead we realize the physical test has a purpose. To assess a maintainable level of physical readiness to do a tough job. People will fail the test. People will fear it. People will avoid it.

People cheat systems. People are not 100% reliable. Go ahead and name names, and be that son of a bitch who sits at morning line up and bitches and bitches about how bad this department is. Even in your perfect world people like that will always exist. So instead of coming online and crying like a baby, get off your fucking horse and help out your brothers and sisters instead of heaving blame.

Posted by: Jim Fix ()
Date: May 31, 2011 02:29PM

I dont think the OP is anti fire at all. He/she seems to have insight into the department. I have heard it stated before that certain firefighters will fail the test then when no one is around but the examiner they will mysteriously pass it.

Posted by: Let's get it started ()
Date: May 31, 2011 02:44PM

Which pos have called out sick on test day now. I thought this is why they were going to not lists units until that day? This is going to get interesting. Telestaff can't hide'em

Posted by: Fit For duty ()
Date: May 31, 2011 03:01PM

@ dead horse,

I've tried to help. I offer to PT with people who need help, but get declined. I've suggested having members of my Bat. go to Wel-Fit on an off day and run through everything, but everyone's too busy. The Peer Fitness program only helps you after you fail, not in a proactive snese by coming to stations and getting people off their butts and doing more than some curls and the elliptical for a half hour. We have a mandatory PT provision that no one enforces. I've brought it up on numerous occasions, but it gets shrugged off.

Regardless, letting units go to the center on duty and OOS is inexcusable when we have gyme in most of our stations and/or deals with local gyms and Rec Centers, not to mention our "mandatory" PT rule. The same goes for banging in the day of the test. The way to fix that is for the member to go to the WPE the very next work day after the bang-in, no exceptions. then there will be no motivation to call in sick.

Personally, I think it should be every six months with an 8:30 limit, or perhaps a sliding scale that allows extra time with age. Maybe 8:30 until you hit 40, then 15 extra seconds a year or something like that.

It's our job to be fit for the demands of the field. If you can't make 8 or nine minutes, (Pisani did around 7:30 in the video, going slow) you're going to get gassed real quick in a real fire, however infrequent that may be. I almost threw up when it was suggested that we remove the time limit. The victim in the upstairs bedroom doesn't have 15-20 minutes for you to make your way up there at your leisure.

Posted by: Ninja WPE Appointment ()
Date: May 31, 2011 03:04PM

@ let's get it started,

That would be the best thing to happen, to have random WPE assignments. We can't choose when our fires happen, so we need to always be ready through training and physical preparedness. The same should go for the WPE, since it's supposed to emulate to demands of the job.

Posted by: corrections and thoughts ()
Date: May 31, 2011 03:21PM

if you fail the test, you use your own sick leave till you pass. ONLY if you get hurt doing the test do you go on injury leave or light duty. Some of the smarter fat ones get "hurt" when they know they will not pass to get out of using their own leave.

I think that they need to keep the test off the master calander, then have the BC's call up that morning and tell units your OOS and go to well-fit. I also think if you fail 3 times in a row, you get terminated.

Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: May 31, 2011 06:55PM

LOL. I've seen some huge fire fighters in my time, mostly at the "Spaghetti Dinner Night" at the fire house.
Attachments:
fat_guy.jpg

Posted by: Lt. Boswell ()
Date: May 31, 2011 07:12PM

Fit For Duty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just wanted to let the citizens know, there are
> out of shape firefighters costing the county
> money. We have an annual Work Performance
> Evaluation. It's a series of stations that you go
> through while wearing firefighter gear and while
> using their SCBA. The time limit is 10:47, and
> consists of stations such as a hose drag, ladder
> throwing, a dummy drag, forcible entry, etc. We're
> supposed to do mandatory physical training every
> work day to maintain our physical preparedness.
>
> Certain individuals choose not to do much exercise
> throughout the year, and then try and get in shape
> a month os so before this annual test. If they
> fail, they go on light duty until they pass,
> costing the county money by earning a paycheck
> while not doing their assigned job, and also for
> OT to cover their temporarily vacant position.
> Fair enough for that, maybe. What I find insulting
> is that there are certain units that are scheduled
> to go to our Wel-Fit facility, where the test is
> held, while on duty, to practice for the exam,
> while the unit is out of service for several
> hours, multiple times leading up to the exam.
> what's more, some of these same individuals choose
> to call in "sick" when it's their day to take the
> exam. This also costs the county in OT, and also
> requires them to take the employee's unit out of
> service for two days rather than just one in order
> to take the exam. You're supposed to be exercising
> throughout the year to be fit for duty, not get
> special treatment to enable your laziness.
>
> I felt the citizens need to know this.
>
> BTW, word on the street is that one of the worst
> offenders, Lt. Boswell, showed up to work
> yesterday, found out that we had an outdoor drill
> during morning lineup, and then decided to go home
> "sick" generating even more OT obligations. Demand
> that the county not cater to these individuals.

FUCK YOU!!! YOU'RE NO MALE SUPER MODEL YOU LAZY PENCIL PUSHING ASSCLOWN!!!

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 31, 2011 07:20PM

if the fatsos are still willing and able to

a) go into a burning building when I'm trying to get my ass out of it
b) use jaws 'o' life to cut me out the car after one of y'all decide to turn left into me from the right lane
c) know how to fix, use, and maintain all that crap they have, and can still carry it around

then I really dont give a fuck

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: May 31, 2011 07:24PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> if the fatsos are still willing and able to
>
> a) go into a burning building when I'm trying to
> get my ass out of it
> b) use jaws 'o' life to cut me out the car after
> one of y'all decide to turn left into me from the
> right lane
> c) know how to fix, use, and maintain all that
> crap they have, and can still carry it around
>
> then I really dont give a fuck

+1

Posted by: You kiss your mother with that mouth? ()
Date: May 31, 2011 10:07PM

@ Lt Boswell,

Yeah, that colorful language sounds just like you. Quite the lady. That post must have really struck a nerve with you.

BTW, I heard they cancelled the company ops and just did a bunch of classroom stuff instead. You wasted a sick day for nothing! Ha ha ha!

Posted by: Lt Bozwhell ()
Date: May 31, 2011 10:13PM

I doubt the Lieutenant would have gone off like that here. She usually has mic more properly formed sentences. And i doubt she cares enough go stoop to your level of name calling. Not saying i disagree with you. Going home sick "conveniently" after discovering youre going to a drill.... Is fucking weak.
But still... It seems professionalism has gone completely out the window here

More trolling...disgraceful.

Posted by: Who cares ()
Date: June 01, 2011 05:07PM

Fit for duty....your a moron. Who cares, post something that truly matters to taxpayers. Every job, department, unit, has losers that are fat and lazy. Tell me something that I should care about.

Here's a novel idea...close down that center you have and use that money to train your co-workers on proper fitness and nutrition. By the way I highly doubt you offered to train your co-workers using free time, I'm sure it would of cost the tax-payers, me!!

Get a life you troll!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Apparently you care ()
Date: June 01, 2011 06:09PM

Apparently a few people care, the thread got 20 something replies. And you just fed the troll.

Posted by: Roc ()
Date: June 01, 2011 06:54PM

Surely there some avenue within your organization to report such indiscretions?

Posted by: ideasman ()
Date: June 02, 2011 05:21AM

You can make these out of shape folks volunteer coordinators. Then when they are fit again they can go back to their job.

Posted by: what a joke ()
Date: June 02, 2011 10:16AM

Go to thebigeyeinfairfax.net to see other stuff going on in the fire deptment

Posted by: Nextdoorneighbor ()
Date: June 02, 2011 11:29AM

Maybe all the people who are called police officers who look like they acctually resemble pigs should be cut from the force.

Posted by: Slaphot ()
Date: June 02, 2011 01:55PM

You have the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) to thank for that. It's still a shame that any obese firefighter of police officer thinks they're capable of doing their job. Almost everybody has weight to lose, but there's no excuse for obeseity.

Posted by: RA RN ()
Date: September 03, 2011 10:28AM

Ya can't force someone to have pride and respect. Either they have it or they don't. Given the silly attention to anyone who says 'victim' 'discrimination' in the US it might cost the FD millions to even talk about obese, underperforming staff. Sad but so true. I live in a big Pacific Northwest city, all the females on the FD become huge a few years into the job.

Posted by: Fire stopper ()
Date: September 03, 2011 12:28PM

I like this thread and hope to hear more inside dirt from those who know. Keep it coming please. As far as the original post it is too exact to be a troll post.

BTW I do not think you will ever see the day when a female or minority firefighter will be terminated for being out of shape, just me saying.

Posted by: Troop ()
Date: September 03, 2011 01:53PM

Fairfax FD does a great job. Yet the agency cries like little babies when it doesn't get what it wants. Drop the holier than thou ego.

Posted by: CERtenyler45454 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 04:13PM

Lets makes one thing clear that the liason for the fire department with CERT is no fireman. He is just lasion. Nots a fireman. Whys it onlys the fireMEN are in the streets this weekends asking to fill boot and give money. I sees no womens. I sees no CERTs. I sees no fireliaiosn people. CERT rocks but you nose that it is good as its peoples and CERT people rock. We needs to be CERT on our own nots with fire department. YOu withs me? One for all and alls for one.

Posted by: CERTenly455454 ()
Date: September 11, 2011 08:21AM

Anyones know how to make CERT a NGA nongivernment agency? We doos that then we cans get money from people with donations. Me knows we talks about pig roast. Yous still want it?

Posted by: DitDatDos ()
Date: September 11, 2011 08:54AM

CERTenly455454 Wrote:
> Anyones know how to make CERT a NGA nongivernment
> agency? We doos that then we cans get money from
> people with donations. Me knows we talks about
> pig roast. Yous still want it?

What is CERT?

Fairfax County adds 23 professional firefighters
Posted by: Fairfax County adds 23 professional firefighters ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:24AM

Fairfax County adds 23 professional firefighters
Friday - 9/9/2011, 9:53am ET
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=149&sid=2535983

FAIRFAX, Va. - Nearly two dozen recruits will join the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Service as professional firefighters following graduation ceremonies in Fairfax.

The 23 recruit firefighters have been training since April to respond to hazardous materials incidents, emergency vehicle extrications, swift water rescue, confined space rescue, fire suppression and emergency medical incidents.

After graduation ceremonies Friday night, the firefighters will join a professional uniformed staff of nearly 1,400 serving the county's more than 1 million residents.

Re: Fairfax County adds 23 professional firefighters
Posted by: CERTenly34567656 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 09:31AM

CERT has no physicals so anyone can be CERT. join CERT and be a CERT person.

Posted by: waser ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:15PM

Firemen have the toughest physical standards if they are not in shape they die

Posted by: Oink ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:37PM

Nextdoorneighbor Wrote:
> Maybe all the people who are called police
> officers who look like they acctually resemble
> pigs should be cut from the force.

Piss off white trash, little pussy, go blow your boyfriend in the back of your car.

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:46PM

Why wouldn't a Fairfax county taxpayer be interested in the info Fit for Duty posted? He's highlighting the waste and abuse of the system. Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: oink ()
Date: March 28, 2012 10:01PM

Alexander smith Wrote:
> Why wouldn't a Fairfax county taxpayer be
> interested in the info Fit for Duty posted? He's
> highlighting the waste and abuse of the system.
> Thank you for posting this.

just checking in, yup you're still a fag. Daddy doen't like you either.

Posted by: Mr. Insensitive ()
Date: March 29, 2012 06:42AM

Well it doesn't sound like you or I will be doing it, so go ahead and let 'em do their job and stop complaining.
Attachments:
fire%20stories.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.