HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Burke Trivia
Posted by: CrabbyNative ()
Date: June 07, 2011 08:04AM

Oddly enough I saw the reincarnation of "Sacks are Loaded" in a Manassas Antuque store in Manassas Shopping Center (corner of Matis and Sudley). GUess what...he was haggling with some kid over a card.....seriously. This about two years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JBass ()
Date: June 07, 2011 08:43AM

CrabbyNative Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oddly enough I saw the reincarnation of "Sacks are
> Loaded" in a Manassas Antuque store in Manassas
> Shopping Center (corner of Matis and Sudley).
> GUess what...he was haggling with some kid over a
> card.....seriously. This about two years ago.

Amazing intel! Thats hilarious!

Posted by: Fegelein ()
Date: June 10, 2011 04:55AM

That single family home that is next to the Citgo gas station, weren't there two single family homes there in what is now open land between the house and the gas station?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 10, 2011 08:50AM

@Fegelein - yes, a house was demolished sometime in the 90's i think between Citgo and the Curve somewhere - older looking place.

Posted by: Zimbo ()
Date: July 23, 2011 04:10AM

@ Fegelein

Interesting you point that out. I remember that house between the nursery and citgo being a pile of junk before the owners fixed her up. But what I dont get is slide 10 from http://braddockheritage.org/content/vault/Burke%20Slides%20-%20Pt%202_fc9a1ef799.pdf

There is two houses like you said! But where is the small house that stands currently? That big house on the top of slide 10 looks like the burke hotel.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: July 23, 2011 11:55AM

@Zimbo, I'm pretty sure the property behind the firestation is where the gas station is now, the next house up is gone, and the land is for sale currently. YOu can just make out a redish bldg at the top of the slide, which I believe is gone but was on the property that has the house next to the nursery now.
Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-07-23 at 11.52.32 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-23 at 11.54.57 AM.png

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: July 23, 2011 01:39PM

You never know. LB '82

Date: July 23, 2011 01:50PM

great pic, shadow

I dont know if I'm right, but I think it's just that parking lot in that pic that KC's Auto (the Citgo) sits on , not the house. But again i dunno............

Posted by: Trsitan ()
Date: July 23, 2011 08:06PM

@Zimbo

according to the Burke history book (where the picture above is taken from), that big house at the top of the picture is the old burke hotel that used to be owned by the Cooperthite race track. It was burned by an arsonist in 1980s.

I have my doubts however; I thought the hotel was clearly on the nursery's property formerly - since its address was 9401 when it burned to the ground.

The white house is on the land for sale (covered in bush now). The 'burke hotel' seems to be on the current property of that small house (currently). Heck, is that the foundation of the old building from the aerial view?

Other fun facts: that white building on the bottom of the screen used to be the post office. After that they sold lawn mowers/tractors I believe.

Posted by: kyle ()
Date: July 23, 2011 08:21PM

who planted all dose damn trees

Posted by: robonscanner1 ()
Date: July 23, 2011 11:18PM

Yea that small building was the post office. I had one pf those PO boxes that had a funky combo lock.
It then became a lawn mower and or a knit supply place .

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: July 23, 2011 11:30PM

Trsitan Wrote:

>
> Other fun facts: that white building on the bottom
> of the screen used to be the post office. After
> that they sold lawn mowers/tractors I believe.

Yes, it was the former post office, and I believe they might have also done lawnmower repair.

Date: July 24, 2011 01:05AM

whats really funny is that white house on the middle left of the pic is still there, completely surrounded by the little shopping center with the 7-11 and the big bite. I forget what business uses it now. I think a realty company or consignment or something like that I dunno.

Man, remember when a coal train would go thru Burke and everything would just shut down for 5 minutes. Same like with Guinea Rd......................wow, who would ever think you'd reminisce over something like that .........................

Posted by: robonscanner1 ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:49AM

I used to go to the movies in the mall adjacent to shopers and track auto..
I would take LB dates to see a movie there and then go to anitas.
That is when tex mex food was a delicacy.
That was fun.
A body of mine used to never buy new tires for his car. He would just go to the commuter lot at mid day and just take 2 tires from a car in there. We thought it was funny then.

Posted by: Trsitan ()
Date: July 24, 2011 02:02PM

That house, or the consignment shop now, used to be the old burke railway station, with the rails on the current location of big bite/7-11. They moved it in the early 1900s.

Posted by: Trish ()
Date: August 11, 2011 11:55PM

Wow - Burke Trivia. The internet DOES have everything!! :-) I stumbled upon this thread when I was trying to find out what the name of the old cosmetic store was in Rolling Valley Mall - where Dart Drug was and where JoAnn Fabrics is. Does anyone happen to remember the name? (It seems like mostly guys are posting on this thread, but maybe one of you can recall? Your memories are fantastic!). Thanks!!

Posted by: Ray ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:49AM

Rebecca Wrote:
> Taco Bell was the library. A funny little round
> building if I remember correctly. It burned down.

Anyone remember who burned the library? I do.

Date: August 12, 2011 10:56AM

Easy one, James Orth

Posted by: Oldguy ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:57AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> OMG JBass - Joe's Books!! (and guess what his
> name was?)And stop with the Grumpy old man routine

Joe was cool. His store used to be on 28 in Manassas back in the 80's when I collected comics.

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: August 12, 2011 04:23PM

The more I think about, the more I realize this county probably peaked around 87-88. After that things really snowballed out of control with traffic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 04:23PM by FurfaxTownie.

Posted by: Nephew ()
Date: September 15, 2011 10:49AM

Yes, he's still with us.

Posted by: poopstick ()
Date: September 16, 2011 09:42AM

Posted by: got_it ()
Date: September 16, 2011 09:48AM

JBass Wrote:
> What was Taco Bell before it was converted?
> BONUS: What happened to the original building?
>
> What was Wal-Mart before it was converted?

1.) Taco Bell used to be the Burke Center Library, until it burned down. So the original building burned down.

2.) Wal-Mart was Kmart!!!! Oh man I remember sitting in the parking lot one time waiting on some friends to come out and I see this kid running out the door sort of smiling who then gets pummeled by loss prevention onto the sidewalk and dragged back into the store.

Posted by: Anywhoo ()
Date: September 16, 2011 10:41AM

Can you name the pizza joint that used to be in the Kings Park Shopping Center or the name of the original bank that is now Wells Fargo. There was also a gift shop next to the pizza place.

Posted by: Anonoldgeezer ()
Date: September 16, 2011 10:48AM

Sure...Fortuna and the bank went through many names, although I think the original was VA National...could be wrong on that one.

Posted by: got_it ()
Date: September 16, 2011 10:55AM

Anyone remember Pacific Cafe or Pinos in the burke shopping center?

Posted by: Still more Burke Trivia ()
Date: September 16, 2011 12:46PM

So glad to hear other posters remember the Handy Dandy market and old Civil War trenches.

Does anyone remember a riding stable in Burke called Millstone or Millstone Farms? It was owned (or managed) by a family with the last name Vinogradiv (guessing at spelling) or something close to that.

The stable and a house were on a bit of a hill off a dirt road, and there was a pond on the property. The whole thing seems to have been wiped off the map.

Posted by: Steve Jones ()
Date: October 23, 2011 02:04PM

The Movie theater, Rolling Valley 4? was where the Auto Zone currently is along with the adjacent open space and where a soon to be opened Dollar General Store currently is. At one point there was a Dart Drug store in that space. The Ross store is on the end of the shopping center.

Posted by: Nephew ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:09PM

Uncle Jona Shortt died 11 October 2011. What a man.

Posted by: bobby ()
Date: October 25, 2011 09:06AM

More Complete Wrote:

> Anyone remember Mr. Gatti’s? They had the best
> pizza in town, honest!

Yep, I used to love going there. Anyone remember what took over after Mr Gatti's?

I know it was Hopsfrog and is now a PNC Bank but it must have been something After Mr Gatti's and before Hopsfrog.

Posted by: BurkeIte ()
Date: October 25, 2011 09:35PM

The mr Gattis became Fritters for about 10 years before it became Hopsfrog.

The store by Dart Drug in Rolling Valley was Woolco, not Woolworths. All my clothes came from Woolco, plus an occasional Hamster. We used to ride our bikes to Anitas and eat salsa then go shopping at Wolco. Before Woolco I think it was a Dart Home? And the Shoppers was an A&P.

Also Anitas used to be a doughnut shop on one side and a coffee caboodle on the other. And the strip where subway is was just one building with a Hillarys Ice Cream shop.

Posted by: Old Burke Geezer ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:48PM

To Nephew...very sorry to hear of Jona's passing. I knew him many years ago as I worked for him as a helper with his farrier business. I also used to take care of his hounds, muck the stalls at Old Oak Farm on Pohick Rd when it was still a dirt road. I have many fond memories of him and his life. The animals, including the guinea hens, chickens, dogs and horses were quite fun to work with. I also recall him in his red hunt master outfit on the back of his beautiful buckskin horse. He was an incredible horseman and farrier. I also recall his Pontiac Boneville, convertible where I'd lug the tools to. He loved that car.... I worked with him in the late sixties and boarded my horse at his farm. I do recall 2 small boys, who he loved dearly...and that incredible old oak tree in the yard...biggest one I've ever seen. Anyway, my sympathies to the family and I hope you know that Jona touched many lives through his...he was quite the character and I remember him fondly.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: October 27, 2011 03:25PM

BurkeIte Wrote:
> The mr Gattis became Fritters for about 10 years
> before it became Hopsfrog.

Yes, Fritters. They made a pretty good French Dip sandwhich.

Posted by: Ledo Pizza ()
Date: October 27, 2011 03:40PM

Does anyone remember the drowing in Lake Barton back in the 90 - 92 time frame I believe. I worked at Ledo Pizza durring this time and one of the guys I worked with in the kitchen was there and drowned. The coroners report came back and we were told it appeared as though he had slipped and hit his head before going in the water.

Posted by: off topic on this thread I know ()
Date: October 27, 2011 03:50PM

The Safeway on Burke Centre Parkway has to be the worst one ever. Last night I was in there and tried to buy some produce. The register couldnt scan the barcode so he said I couldnt buy it. I mean could a place be anymore messed up. If this was a one time thing I might be able to deal with it but at this store it is something every time you go in there. On Friday nights there are at most three registers open and the self serves are usually broken.
The lines stretch through the store and I have seen some people throw the merchandise down and walk out.

I know my bad for continuing to go there but the prices are better than Giant. I will switch to the Shoppers Food on Keene Mill even though it is much further away.

Posted by: BurkeRes ()
Date: October 27, 2011 05:05PM

That Safeway is a Union shop and the Union is in control. I asked a cashier one time why those self-check-outs are shut down at night and she said, Union rules demand that they shut down the self-check-outs at night.
Bottom line, when you want to get in and out without a hassle, don't go to the Safeway, especially at odd hours.

Posted by: off topic on this thread I know ()
Date: October 27, 2011 10:49PM

On Friday when I went there it was 6pm so not really the off hours. Even on some Saturdays it is the same thing in the middle of the day.

Its almost like they are trying to run the customers away. Other than Giant they have no competition in Burke unless you want to go to Shoppers on Keene Mill.

Posted by: Fegelein ()
Date: February 17, 2012 12:37AM

Anyone remember when Rolling Road was a two-lane road and the bridge that went over Southern Railway/Norfolk Southern railway tracks? I think the old bridge abutment is still there before they straighten that portion of Rolling Road out. Can anyone conform this?

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: February 17, 2012 10:33AM

Anyone remember when they rolled large rolls of tobacco down Rolling Road?

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: February 17, 2012 11:03AM

I can conform it.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: February 17, 2012 11:34AM

Anyone remember buying a train ticket at Fairfax Station?

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: March 17, 2012 07:03AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 01:27PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: March 17, 2012 12:23PM

Fegelein Wrote:
> Anyone remember when Rolling Road was a two-lane
> road and the bridge that went over Southern
> Railway/Norfolk Southern railway tracks? I think
> the old bridge abutment is still there before they
> straighten that portion of Rolling Road out. Can
> anyone conform this?

Funny, as I was just thinking of the way Rolling Road used to be, back in the 70s

It was widened to 4 lanes in the mid-late 80s, as I recall. I am not sure of the exact year... The bridge would have been widened about the same time.

Posted by: RSS 1979 ()
Date: March 17, 2012 12:37PM

Back in 79 a bunch of us cool kids went to Lake Braddock SS at 2am and changed the sign to read "Lick Badcock suck man daily school". That was awesome.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 17, 2012 01:35PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> Hay Zeus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone remember buying a train ticket at
> Fairfax
> > Station?
>
> According to the book Fairfax Station: All
> Aboard!, the Fairfax Station closed in 1973, which
> I suspect predates by a decade or more the birth
> of most of the posters here.

Wow, chuck, I had no idea you were that young!

Posted by: Driving me crazy ()
Date: April 07, 2012 11:28PM

Anyone remember what was in the current glory days after chuck e cheese and before glory days?

Posted by: Bruin ()
Date: April 08, 2012 12:21AM

OK, nobody is on it, so here goes-

The shooter in that pic was ARVN Gen. Nguyen Loan(?). The guy he shot had just knocked off the family of one of his men. The restaurant was called something like "Le Trois Continents" (French, American and Viet-Namese cuisine). You could hang in there and talk about the war, and he would feed you free beers...that pic hung on the backside of the door to the kitchen. According to an author named Frank Snepp, in a book called "Decent Interval" (that I read LONG AGO), Gen. Loan was on a watch list when the poop hit the fan in Viet Nam in '75. The Americans were afraid that he might resort to holding americans hostage in order to get his family out of the sh!tstorm that enveloped that country. I think I got this right?...

Posted by: Dorothy Hatch ()
Date: April 15, 2012 01:54PM

Hi,

Did you ride there? or go to the Day Camp? A wonderful place in it's time.
It is still owned by part of the Hatch family. Dell
Vinogradov ran the horse part. She still lives nearby. Now it is part of the Millstone Pond development. The old farm house is owned by The Hatch family still.
Do you know any more history of the farmhouse? I am widow of son, Douglas Hatch and would like to know more. Especially interested if you have any pictures of how it used to be.

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: April 16, 2012 09:05PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Anyone remember buying a train ticket at Fairfax
> Station?

My Dad worked for Southern so we rode alot, for free. I barely remember catching the train at Fairfax Station at least once. Once it closed we'd go to Alexandria.

Posted by: Dorothy ()
Date: April 21, 2012 05:04PM

Sorry the Hatch family sold their land for that community, Millstone Pond.
I am related to them and have to decide what to do with the old farm house now that the second of the Hatch children died in Dec. 2011. My kids learned to ride there
because they were related.
The one remaining daughter of Ruth is still living off of Shiplett Blvd. She was the one who let you work there in exchange for riding.
A delightfully interesting person.

Would love to have pictures of the place when it was used for the stables and the swimming pond. Do you have any? Post or let me know how to contact you.

Posted by: The_Ghost_of_Yucky24. ()
Date: April 22, 2012 05:24AM

We South Run kids were like fucking royalty surrounded by 3rd world townhouse slaves at Lake Braddock - which I thankfully only attended for a year.

Posted by: yep ()
Date: April 22, 2012 05:38PM

Before Glory Days and after Chucky Cheese was a place called National Variety. It was kind of like a dollar store.

Posted by: south run ()
Date: April 22, 2012 05:40PM

South Run was royalty back in the day. Still a nice hood.

Posted by: even older ()
Date: April 22, 2012 05:46PM

There was a place in the small shopping center across from Taco Bell on Burke Rd called Spankys. Small place not much in the way of decor but the fajitas were great.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: April 22, 2012 09:27PM

Ledo's?

Posted by: Chuckie ()
Date: April 22, 2012 09:29PM

Spanky's, across from what is now Taco Bell, wasn't much in the way of a restaurant, and wasn't much in the way of a bar. Decor was by "Prison's-R-Us. It had a dart board, though.

Posted by: Old-Dude ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:05PM

Old local geezer Wrote:
> We used to go to the Handy Dandy in downtown
> Burke, across from the old fire station. They had
> a hitching post out back for our horses. Skinning
> dipping in Bell's pond....gas at Brown's Gulf
> station. Used to work for the Kinchloe's picking
> up bales of hay on their property. They had an old
> barn and silo across from their home.

The Handy Dandy was a general store known as Carson's Trading Post. The Carsons lived on Lee Chapel Rd, behind the school next to where the Vet is now. Mr. Carson Died and Mrs Carson became Postmistress and sold the store.
The Post Office was located in a converted "bay" in Brownie's Gulf. When the new Fire House was built the Post Office moved into the old fire house, white building on Burke Lake Road next to New Fire House. The Post Office had one mailman, Mr Elmer Maley (lived on El James Dr off of Guinnea Rd) Mr. Maley delivered all of what was Burke from the right seat of his old (1952?) Plymouth. (I went to school with Janett Maley) .

Pohick Rd (now 7100) was gravel. Old Keene Mill Road was gravel from Lee Chapel to Pohick (where it ended). There were no houses on Old Keeene Mill from Lee Chapel to Pohick, was to be Dulles, they were all torn down.

There was an old Black community on what is now Roberts Road between the RR tracks and now Burke Centre PW. The land would not "perc" so no septic fields could be put in, so the land was essentially worthless until the sewer lines made it out that far and Burke Center was built. The oweners of houses in that little community were relocated to new houses (with running water and plumbing) off of 123 near Burke Lake Road.

Posted by: marksz28 ()
Date: May 29, 2012 04:59PM

hechinger

Date: May 29, 2012 05:28PM

@old dude - the old Zion town is what I believe you are referring too when you mention that Black community. The community center and church near the bend on Zion Dr are all that's left of it..............

Posted by: BofAfff ()
Date: May 30, 2012 10:48AM

right before it was Bank of America (In rolling valley mall) it was a Nations Bank

Posted by: Old ()
Date: May 31, 2012 09:20AM

Before the dollar store was jo ann fabrics, before that was michaels and years ago a store called f & m

I might be wrong about both of these, but.................
Date: May 31, 2012 09:43AM

@Old - before F&M it was a Ben Franklin I believe.

@Bof - before Nations it was Soveran Bank. Before that it was a Bank of Virginia or a First VA bank I think

Posted by: skav ()
Date: May 31, 2012 08:51PM

The Post Office was located in a converted "bay" in Brownie's Gulf. When the new Fire House was built the Post Office moved into the old fire house, white building on Burke Lake Road next to New Fire House. The Post Office had one mailman, Mr Elmer Maley (lived on El James Dr off of Guinnea Rd) Mr. Maley delivered all of what was Burke from the right seat of his old (1952?) Plymouth. (I went to school with Janett Maley) .

Maley delivered our mail in Lake Braddock community for the first few years, 1970 onwards. Remember the guy and his delivery car well....

Posted by: kellififefty ()
Date: June 01, 2012 02:04PM

There used to be this house up a gravel road off of Burke Lake Rd. next to the Kings Park Library. I heard it belonged to a motorcycle gang. Anyone remember?

This was in the late seventies and early eighties. Please, for the love of god, don't mention WNC.

Date: June 01, 2012 02:11PM

Does anybody remember the dude who ran the plant and produce business off of 123, on the right side headed southbound just past the La Toltecca shopping center? He blew his brains out with a shotgun?

Posted by: Say What ()
Date: June 11, 2012 10:53AM

Chipotle was a hollywood video store before hand Dumbasses. Boston market has awlways been off of old keene mill hahaha. #truefact

Date: June 11, 2012 11:13AM

Say What Wrote:
> Chipotle was a hollywood video store before hand
> Dumbasses. Boston market has awlways been off of
> old keene mill hahaha. #truefact

Which Chipotle? And I find the term "always" pretty funny when taking about a 30+ year old building and a 1company that has only been in the area for 18 or so.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: June 11, 2012 11:58AM

"Anyone remember what was in the current glory days after chuck e cheese and before glory days?"

At one point Advance Auto was in there, or maybe it was Track Auto at the time. Then I think Village Ski's and Bikes used the space for about a year. You have to remember that the original Glory Day's was half the size it is now. That was two stores and they had to knock out the wall to make the bigger bar area.

"Does anybody remember the dude who ran the plant and produce business off of 123, on the right side headed southbound just past the La Toltecca shopping center? He blew his brains out with a shotgun?"

I do remember that, he was a friend of some of my parents friends. I don't recall it being a shotgun but he did shoot himself in that old school bus that was back there on the property.

Posted by: Champion ()
Date: June 11, 2012 12:11PM

Actually there was once a Boston Market there.

Posted by: fat gguy ()
Date: December 09, 2012 10:14AM

Ledo Pizza Wrote:
> Does anyone remember the drowing in Lake Barton
> back in the 90 - 92 time frame I believe. I worked
> at Ledo Pizza durring this time and one of the
> guys I worked with in the kitchen was there and
> drowned. The coroners report came back and we were
> told it appeared as though he had slipped and hit
> his head before going in the water.

Ledo pizza is good.

Date: December 09, 2012 11:19AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 12:45AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Mary Huffman ()
Date: January 07, 2013 05:03PM

Hi Dorothy,

I used to ride at Millstone in the 60s when I lived in Falls Church. I might have some pictures, and I can remember exactly how it was laid it. It was my most favorite place to be and I have so many fond memories of the horses, the people, the adventures. I'd love to share some of those moments and memories with anyone interested.

Mary

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: February 11, 2013 12:34PM

Shadow Wrote:
> @Zimbo, I'm pretty sure the property behind the
> firestation is where the gas station is now, the
> next house up is gone, and the land is for sale
> currently. YOu can just make out a redish bldg at
> the top of the slide, which I believe is gone but
> was on the property that has the house next to the
> nursery now.

The Gas station (Burke Automotive and now KC's)is now where the sheds are I am pretty sure, the house next to it, I think one of the 2 where used as a Hospital during the Civil War, the other was the Hotel. The Vacant lot as it currently stands was used by the JC's as a haunted house a few years before it burned down.

I seem to recall the hafts had a few chains,. Shoppers, Total Wine, Dart Drug and Dart Home they built many of the current shoppers locations, but from what I recall Fair city Mall and Rolling Valley Mall where built by them. Outback in Twinbrook is is an extension put on the building later and the cvs hollywood video in Twinbrook was the Dart Home?.

The train station/church/consignment shop has been moved but I am pretty sure its in the same location just rotated, the old railroad bed used to run right there until the 1900's and then they where relocated to remove the bend in the tracks that slowed the trains down.

And Burke road never came out at Coffer woods, it connected infront of the Firehouse and only the 1 bridge crossing the creek on Burke Lake Road, at what is now the intersection that cuts Burke Village I and II currently, before Burke Village II there was a building used as a farmers market, not sure of its use prior. and across the street from the entrance now into Burke Village II was an entrance into Bells Pond, you had to cross some cement pipes that allowed the water to run through. I remember an old car that was there atleast until 1985 in the water.

The 2 houses moved where Marshall House which was rebuilt after it burned where 7 - 11 sits now (the graves are still behind the wall, just overgrown) and it is currently at Dead Mans Curve just after the Nursery, and the one at the end of Old Burke Lake Road just before the railroad tracks which used to site where the new post office is now.

The 2 trails to get to the old 7-11 from the lake braddock side before giant was built was at the end of Raintree and the other off High lane, that one you had to slide down the cliff to cross the tracks, basically in Giants loading dock vicinity..

To my knowledge there has only been 1 drowning in Lake Braddock in it history, Kid throwing rocks at the ducks fell in off the boat dock, it was removed by parents and sat for many years as a smaller dock next to the big dock, the posts are still in the water from where is used to attach.

Burke Village also had at the time of Pepperoni stick had Dr. Doolittles Pets, Burke Hardware, Caravel Ice Cream, a TV repair shop, sporting goods store and the KFC was a bank at one time.

The pics attached are current Old Burke Lake Rd at the tracks, and the construction of Burke Rd and Burke Lake road in their current location where the intersect before the bridge
Attachments:
burke lake rd.jpg
IMG_00011.JPG
IMG_00081.JPG
IMG_00041.JPG

Posted by: pam reed ()
Date: April 24, 2013 09:52PM

I rode at Millistone Farm in the 1960s, as a child. It was lovely - dirt road, fields and a pond, trail riding forever. That was where I spent years and hours and grew up!
Pam in Maine

Posted by: JoJo Simpson ()
Date: April 27, 2013 06:00PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> Shadow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > @Zimbo, I'm pretty sure the property behind the
> > firestation is where the gas station is now,
> the
> > next house up is gone, and the land is for sale
> > currently. YOu can just make out a redish bldg
> at
> > the top of the slide, which I believe is gone
> but
> > was on the property that has the house next to
> the
> > nursery now.
>
>
> The Gas station (Burke Automotive and now KC's)is
> now where the sheds are I am pretty sure, the
> house next to it, I think one of the 2 where used
> as a Hospital during the Civil War, the other was
> the Hotel. The Vacant lot as it currently stands
> was used by the JC's as a haunted house a few
> years before it burned down.
>
> I seem to recall the hafts had a few chains,.
> Shoppers, Total Wine, Dart Drug and Dart Home they
> built many of the current shoppers locations, but
> from what I recall Fair city Mall and Rolling
> Valley Mall where built by them. Outback in
> Twinbrook is is an extension put on the building
> later and the cvs hollywood video in Twinbrook was
> the Dart Home?.
>
> The train station/church/consignment shop has been
> moved but I am pretty sure its in the same
> location just rotated, the old railroad bed used
> to run right there until the 1900's and then they
> where relocated to remove the bend in the tracks
> that slowed the trains down.
>
> And Burke road never came out at Coffer woods, it
> connected infront of the Firehouse and only the 1
> bridge crossing the creek on Burke Lake Road, at
> what is now the intersection that cuts Burke
> Village I and II currently, before Burke Village
> II there was a building used as a farmers market,
> not sure of its use prior. and across the street
> from the entrance now into Burke Village II was an
> entrance into Bells Pond, you had to cross some
> cement pipes that allowed the water to run
> through. I remember an old car that was there
> atleast until 1985 in the water.
>
> The 2 houses moved where Marshall House which was
> rebuilt after it burned where 7 - 11 sits now (the
> graves are still behind the wall, just overgrown)
> and it is currently at Dead Mans Curve just after
> the Nursery, and the one at the end of Old Burke
> Lake Road just before the railroad tracks which
> used to site where the new post office is now.
>
> The 2 trails to get to the old 7-11 from the lake
> braddock side before giant was built was at the
> end of Raintree and the other off High lane, that
> one you had to slide down the cliff to cross the
> tracks, basically in Giants loading dock
> vicinity..
>
> To my knowledge there has only been 1 drowning in
> Lake Braddock in it history, Kid throwing rocks at
> the ducks fell in off the boat dock, it was
> removed by parents and sat for many years as a
> smaller dock next to the big dock, the posts are
> still in the water from where is used to attach.
>
> Burke Village also had at the time of Pepperoni
> stick had Dr. Doolittles Pets, Burke Hardware,
> Caravel Ice Cream, a TV repair shop, sporting
> goods store and the KFC was a bank at one time.
>
> The pics attached are current Old Burke Lake Rd at
> the tracks, and the construction of Burke Rd and
> Burke Lake road in their current location where
> the intersect before the bridge

Where did you find those latter two vintage photos?

Posted by: Denise ()
Date: June 03, 2013 02:14PM

I went to Rolling Valley Elementary School.

I moved to Burke Centre in '79. Terra Centre was being built.

Date: June 03, 2013 02:27PM

The McDonald's at the corner of Old Keene Mill Rd and Lee Chapel Rd was a Roy Rogers.

Date: June 03, 2013 02:28PM

It was a Pizza Hut before.

Posted by: Burke RES ()
Date: June 03, 2013 03:57PM

I am currently a Burke resident. I have actually lived in Burke since 1986, when my father moved to VA to work at for the DOD. Graduated from Lake Braddock, went to GMU, now currently own a "cheap" single family home near Rolling Valley Mall. Obviously, it isn't worth $1M+, but that's ok with me. I love Burke. The traffic is pretty consistent during rush hour, and I never sit in backups on weekends, like I would if I lived in Falls Church or Arlington. My kid gets to go to a FCPS, and I make enough money to send him to summer camps and buy him the latest electronic gadgets (within reason.. I'm not TRYING to raise a spoiled brat!). To the troll who is making fun of all the folks who live in Burke: We don't care what you think. If I wanted to, I could move to your neighborhood, but then I would be house poor (which I suspect that you are). I like living in Burke. I am close enough to the Occoquan river that I can take family boating trips on weekends without spending an hour on the car, we have decent shopping and restaurants, and I don't consider myself poor or lacking in material goods. You might consider me a loser, for never having lived anywhere else, and I would be OK with that. I have a great life, and I think that Burke is a nice community.

Oh, and I used to work in Rolling Valley Mall. At the F&M. (stands for Fred and Margaret). Still the most fun job I've ever had.

Posted by: Cindy ()
Date: November 02, 2013 09:14PM

I remember the movie theatre at Rolling Valley Mall - it was there when I moved to Burke in 1989. It was next to the Shoppers Food Warehouse. When the theatre closed in the early 1990's Shoppers took over the theatre's space.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: November 02, 2013 11:16PM

I have posted this before, somewhere, the family that ran the movie theater had kids that went to LB. I saw Raiders of The Lost Arc at that theater when it first came out. Their daughter had a kid with one of the guys that worked at the theater. She was one of the few pregnant girls I remember seeing in high school. Not judging, just had never seen much teenage pregnancies before, this was the very early 90's.

That shopping center also used to have Hillary's Gourmet Ice Cream in a stand alone pad site where the IHOP and Tau Tau are now. When we moved to Burke our entertainment system was wired by the electronics store that was near the elbow of the center, can't recall the name. But I used to walk there every weekend to get my Cure and Depeche Mode tapes. Good times. I think at one point there a Dart Drug in the same center. Could be wrong...

Posted by: Dork ()
Date: November 03, 2013 07:28AM

While on the Rolling Road overpass going over the NS tracks heading south, has anyone ever noticed the old bridge abutment? In case you didn't know, that used to be part of Rolling Roads former route, until they straitened it out.

Posted by: The Lonely Death of Doss Wyley ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:26AM

Trailer's Occupant Dies in Blaze
January 9, 1960
A fire in a house trailer parked at the end of a lonely dirt road in woods a mile and a half south of Burke, Va., caused the death of the occupant last night.

Police said the victim was burned beyond recognition, but they assumed he was Doss Wyley, 57, a house painter.

A motorist on Route 645 saw flames and called police. The trailer was destroyed when Burke and Fairfax firemen arrived. The fire burned a quarter acre of underbrush.

The trailer, in which Wyley lived alone, was a third of a mile from Route 645 and a quarter of a mile from the nearest house.

Attachments:
Burke Trailer Death.png

Posted by: Combustible Trailer Homes ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:42AM

Police Identify Victim of Blaze
The Washington Post
January 17, 1960
A man tentatively identified as Jessie Watson, 31, of Falmouth, Va., was burned to death Friday night in a fire in a trailer at Routes 643 and 641, about three miles south of Burke in Fairfax County.

A companion, identified as Clayton Parker, 56, also of Falmouth, was treated at Alexandria Hospital for shock.

Fairfax County Fire Marshal Alfred A. Savia said "there is a possibility that one of the men was smoking in bed." Exactly a week earlier, off a dirt road in the same community, also in a trailer, and also because of a nighttime fire, another man died. He was believed to be Doss Wyley, 57, a house painter.

Attachments:
Burke Trailer Death 2.png

Posted by: Local ()
Date: November 21, 2013 10:54PM

Scott Wrote:
> I remember all of us "new" drivers from LB would
> try to get airborn just after going over the
> tracks.
>
> Someone stated that they couldn't remember if Inga
> had the old 7-11 or not. She did.

Yeah, and you used to be able to get air on Burke lake rd. in front of the Silas Burke house too, before VDOT regraded it. Any of y'all go hang out with all the partiers in the parking lot at Rolling Valley back in the mid eighties? That preceded allot of good times...

Posted by: the faggots are burning ()
Date: November 21, 2013 11:14PM

These two guys who died in the second trailer fire that week...do you think they were gay? They sound gay to me.

Posted by: bilbo ()
Date: November 22, 2013 10:28PM

What was up with the Miller compound? I lived in Burke in the 90's and the place, you couldn't actually see much if any of it, looked like a junk yard. Eventually they put up all kinds of no trespassing signs. I always wondered what was up there.

Posted by: George's owner ()
Date: March 13, 2014 02:50PM

Does anyone remember Spring lake Farm on Burke Lake Rd. I used to board my horse out there and rode my horse down to the Handy Dandy in Burke more than once...As for Millstone farm: I remember it well, and also Quailwood, which was a little further out towards Burke Lake and had some A rated horse shows, in the Spring, Summer and fall. As for Jona Shortt; he was my smithy, knew my horse, before he knew me....and I ended up riding in the Bull Run Hunt club with him, and also my Vet, was Dr. Mouser. Great times!! Anyone know anyone else who boarded their horse at springlake farm?

Posted by: Romulus ()
Date: March 13, 2014 10:37PM

YES, I remember Spring Lake Farm. A friend of mine used to exercise a horse that was boarded there. Rolling pastures, before mad suburbia hit the area and built up all the damn houses! Don't think I've ever come across anyone else who remembers that place!

As kids we went to Patty's Riding Stables on Guinea Rd. to ride the horses and wander through Burke by horseback. That was back when Burke Road crossed the railroad tracks.

George's owner Wrote:
> Does anyone remember Spring lake Farm on Burke
> Lake Rd. I used to board my horse out there and
> rode my horse down to the Handy Dandy in Burke
> more than once...As for Millstone farm: I remember
> it well, and also Quailwood, which was a little
> further out towards Burke Lake and had some A
> rated horse shows, in the Spring, Summer and fall.
> As for Jona Shortt; he was my smithy, knew my
> horse, before he knew me....and I ended up riding
> in the Bull Run Hunt club with him, and also my
> Vet, was Dr. Mouser. Great times!! Anyone know
> anyone else who boarded their horse at springlake
> farm?

Posted by: Burke Denizen ()
Date: March 27, 2014 06:07PM

I used to work at Pattys stable. No pay, but free riding. We would take care of the horses, muck stalls, run the rentals, etc. There were a handful of us there and we had a great time riding the trails throughout Burke. I went on to work with Jona Shortt, the farrier. He and I shod many horses throught the county while I worked for him for two years while boarding my horse at his place, Old Oak Farm on Pohick Rd, which was dirt. I also took care of his hounds which he used for the fox hunts. There were a large number of stables in the area, including Spring Lakes, Chuck Ackerman's (at Braddock and Guinea) among others. Many horse shows and opportunities to hire out as a groom for the big shows, such as Upperville's. Many good memories of the area before it became so suburban...

Posted by: Kayjay ()
Date: July 26, 2014 03:14PM

Walmart was originally a Bradlee's!

Posted by: TNT Jackson ()
Date: July 26, 2014 05:07PM

I've lived in Burke since 1979. I remember going to the old 7-11 where the post office is now. The bathroom was dingy and weird and had a strange orange toilet. There was also a large white house that was actually moved over the railroad tracks and is still there now.

When they did the road improvements and widened Burke Lake road where the old bridge was, I remember the construction workers whistling at my mom as she drove by in our old Chevy station wagon.

There was also a March of Dimes haunted house at the old Burke hotel next to the old Citgo before it burned down.

I also remember waiting forever for the trains to roll by at both railroad crossings. As a kid I loved watching the freight trains roll through. The longer the better.

Braddock road hadn't been widened, 123 was a two lane road, no FFX County Parkway.

I remember the construction of Giant across from Terra Centre. There was no Bradlees or Judy's Party Shop. Just trees.

Burke is still a nice place to live and raise your kids. Hopefully they don't clear anymore 1 acre lots to put 5 houses in.

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: July 26, 2014 10:35PM

Great thread! Was a freshman at LBSS in 1979 when a small fire knocked out the AC and electrical and we had to go to Robinson the last six weeks of the year. Robinson students went in the AM and LB students in the afternoon. Burke Centre was opening and they ran a jingle incessantly on the radio. Something like: “Sunny days and sunny ways Burke Centre is the place for you and me”.
I remember standing in the cold waiting to mail Christmas packages because the Post Office in the white building could only handle about three people in the lobby. In our Sophomore year our history teacher made us all do a Burke History project but back then you the only info you could only find was the race track, the hotel, and fire burning down the hotel. Poor bastard had to read 150 papers that all essentially said the same three things.
The theater at University Mall was a first run theater and I saw my first R rated movie, Animal House. OMG OMG OMG boobies! Route 123 was two lanes all the way to Occoquan and it had some tight turns just past Burke Centre which were smoothed out when they widened the road. As someone else already mentioned B-106 had their studios back there.
I worked at the Twinbrook Pizza Hut (white people did that back then) and there was Dart Drug which had a Space Invaders and then a Defender game. Angies seemed more like a bar than a pizza joint. The front window was blacked out. We would occasionally trade pizza with Baskin Robins for ice cream but if the owner of B&R found out he’d lose his shit.
New Years Eve of 1981 while driving home after closing I passed the accident on Commonwealth where Kevin Tunell hit Susan Herzog head on and killed her. His station wagon had plowed into her VW Bug. You could tell from looking at the crumpled in front end of the Bug that the driver could not have lived.
Back then LB had tables instead of desks and I sat at a table with James Stevens for English. A year later he became distraught about his girlfriend rejecting his marriage proposal and took people hostage at the school for 21 hours. He was a nice guy but he seemed to be a little troubled and I was not surprised at what happened. Glad no one was hurt.

Posted by: ResidentofEmporiaVirginia ()
Date: July 27, 2014 12:33AM

Wow. Burke Seemed better Back Then. we're there any southern Accents in Burke before the Asian Immigrants Came?

Posted by: Old School Burke ()
Date: July 27, 2014 11:50PM

ResidentofEmporiaVirginia Wrote:
> Wow. Burke Seemed better Back Then. we're there
> any southern Accents in Burke before the Asian
> Immigrants Came?

Southern accents? Holy fuck...if you didn't speak in a southern accent in Burke prior to 1993, your ass was lynched!

Posted by: Poo Poo and Pee Pee ()
Date: September 03, 2014 12:54AM

Anyone know what type of business is now located across from Burke Nursery?

­
Date: September 03, 2014 03:10AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 06:10AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Onika Maraj ()
Date: September 10, 2014 05:45PM

I only go to Rolling Valley Mall for Ross, Petco, IHOP & Cedar's Cafe.

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: September 10, 2014 11:17PM

We bought our beer at that old 7-11 on our way to camp at Fountian Head lake in 1977, I think it was a Handy Dandy before?

Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.