HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rupp family suing four loko
Posted by: Christian ()
Date: June 02, 2011 02:13PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The complaint asks for monetary damages for
> medical bills and funeral expenses from Bo’s
> death, as well as for “the loss of the valuable
> services of their son, and have been deprived of
> the support, affection, society, companionship,
> and consortium” that Bo would’ve provided.
>

Bo was a great kid. How do you put a price tag on this and are we talking muli millions of dollars?

$10 million and all the grief goes away. Buy your way out of it. Right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smack ()
Date: June 03, 2011 12:28PM

Not a good way out.

Posted by: drunk ()
Date: June 04, 2011 09:23AM

When im drunk i cant really run I wonder how he did it,not saying he coulnt move but it would be hard to run from a sober mom.

Posted by: Loco ()
Date: June 04, 2011 05:55PM

where can I get some

Posted by: F RUPP ()
Date: August 01, 2011 08:53AM

Why is Four Loko "negligent and careless" in the kid's suicide? Why are the parent's not "negligent and careless" in letting the kid drink, & then run away?

Posted by: Give the parents a brake! ()
Date: August 01, 2011 12:15PM

This whole story is sad.

I think the parents do not want another child to die from this awful drink.

They are NOT in it to make money off their son's death.

Grief takes many forms and if this helps them why do YOU care?

Let them be in peace!

Posted by: sjadklfjklaafskldfj ()
Date: August 01, 2011 12:30PM

Give the parents a brake! Wrote:
> This whole story is sad.
>
> I think the parents do not want another child to
> die from this awful drink.
>
> They are NOT in it to make money off their son's
> death.
>
> Grief takes many forms and if this helps them why
> do YOU care?
>
> Let them be in peace!

Then why don't they focus their time and energy on preventing teen drinking??

Oh wait they weren't ever good at that to begin with..

Posted by: qwertyuiop ()
Date: August 01, 2011 05:49PM

From my first look at this it sounds like this was one of Bo's first times drinking, if not the very first time, making him a lightweight when it comes to pounding brews. I'm thinking this because he was only at the concert for an hour before the police called his mom. He probably wanted to impress the other kids there by drinking as much as he could swallow, and since it was his first time he underestimated how much he could handle. This happens to a lot of high school kids drinking every kind of alcohol, yet almost all kids when they get to that point want to just pass out. Why was he left alone in the garage by his mother? Doesn't she know better than to not leave an overly intoxicated person alone.

Posted by: Igloo ()
Date: August 01, 2011 06:01PM

I've actually never had fourLoko because I just flat out think that caffeine and alcohol make for a horrible combination, but from what I've heard, it can really jack you up. Isn't it like 12% alcohol content and packaged in 24 oz. pounders? So that's the equivalent of like... 3 and a half "normal" beers in one container? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this, I'm just repeating what I've heard from others.

Posted by: Sure they should! ()
Date: August 01, 2011 07:33PM

Teen drinking is never gone to stop.

4 Locco can be stopped.

I am all for having the drinking age be 18.

If you fight in some awful war with no end our gov't should allow you to drink.

Travesty!

I feel for the parents.

How can you not?

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:24AM

Sure they should! Wrote:

> I feel for the parents.
>
> How can you not?

Start on page 1 and work your way back and you'll see why not.

Posted by: They lost a child! ()
Date: August 02, 2011 11:33AM

The grief of losing a child will make you go insane.

I have compassion for this family.

PS There is no perfect parent.

Date: August 02, 2011 11:35AM

Sure they should! Wrote:

>
> I feel for the parents.
>
> How can you not?

There is a lot of responsibility to go around for what happened...including the kid and the parents. To blame Four Loko for everything is absurd, IMO. The same thing could have happened if the kid was drinking Night Train Express. Four Loko will probably move to settle, but I would prefer that they didn't to prove a point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: John Lenin ()
Date: August 02, 2011 11:53AM

Is that HMMMM because most parents leave their vodka in the freezer and when it is filled with water it freezes, which is something vodka should not unless exposed to conditions like that of liquid nitrogen? I mean when I see my Stolis frozen into a block of ice in my freezer, I know that is NOT vodka anymore...

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: August 02, 2011 01:11PM

Honestly, if this kid had access to this crappy beer, he probably had access to much stronger stuff. He could just pay some over 21 year old bum a couple of bucks to buy him some liquor. Four loko tasted like crap and I was able to drink 151 proof rum much faster than that flavored beer swill. Would Guzman rum be responsible if a kid illegally obtained a bottle of their product and downed it quickly? I think not.

Posted by: meadowlands ()
Date: August 07, 2011 01:46PM

I'm sick of people (parents) not taking responsibility for their lack of good parenting. That kid was underage and knew he was breaking the law when he had to get someone 21 to purchase Four Loco. The rec center referred to is a field. Did he jump out of a moving car? There are no traffic lights on PVR so she had no reason to be stopped. If he jumped out of the car why did his mother go home? She knew he was in bad shape. There are several stories being told. One is he was in his room and left the house. His father went looking for him. If that scenario is true, his father would have had plenty of time to get in his car and find him. From where this kid lived to PVR is a long distance up a hill. If he was that drunk he would not have made it up to PVR in once piece. He would have fallen or gotten hit with a car long before reaching PVR. There are too many variables to this story. They knew he had problems and let a 15yr old hang around with older kids. They are trying to make a fast buck off his death. Mom is in real estate. You'll probably hear they are moving to a big house. They better be happy I'm not on the jury. They would get squat.

Posted by: Notice ()
Date: October 04, 2011 03:03PM

This will help Karla Rupp's THINK TWICE campaign that she started a year ago and the Think Twice bracelets she hands out to the teens to bring awareness to drinking.

Four Loko to relabel cans to show alcohol content
By Dina ElBoghdady, Published: October 3

The maker of a sweet alcoholic drink called Four Loko will start disclosing on its labels that its supersize cans contain as much alcohol as four to five cans of beer, federal regulators announced Monday.

Phusion Projects agreed to relabel its Four Loko beverages under pressure from the Federal Trade Commission, which has confronted the company more than once about its advertising practices. The Chicago-based company did not admit any wrongdoing, but in a statement it said it will relabel its malt drinks to better inform consumers.

Federal regulators started cracking down on the company and others that sell similar fruity-tasting, high-alcohol malt beverages after claims that the drinks were linked to the deaths of teenagers in several states in recent years, including a 15-year-old Centreville boy who died more than a year ago after allegedly drinking two cans of Four Loko.

In November, the FTC and the Food and Drug Administration warned Phusion and three other alcoholic malt beverage makers that the caffeine and other stimulants added to their drinks were dangerous because “caffeine can mask the sense of intoxication.” All four companies removed the stimulants from the products at issue.

Johnny “Bo” Rupp of Centreville drank the caffeinated Four Loko before attending a concert with friends at Jiffy Lube Live, according to a lawsuit filed by the family against Phusion. At the concert, the event staff noticed that Rupp was behaving strangely and called his parents to retrieve him. Rupp became “increasingly paranoid and disoriented” during the drive home with his mother, the lawsuit said. The teenager jumped out of the car when his mother pulled onto the driveway and fled into the darkness. He wandered onto a busy street, where he was struck by a car. Rupp died a day later.

The caffeine-infused alcoholic confection Rupp drank made it difficult for him to pass out even though he was extremely drunk, said Jeffrey Simon, the family’s lawyer. “You’re supposed to pass out. That’s the body’s way of staying: ‘Stop,’ ” he said.

The company said it is vigorously defending itself in the Rupp case.

Now, the FTC is focused on the alcohol content of the 23.5-ounce Four Loko malt beverages. The FTC alleges that Phusion misrepresented the amount of alcohol in those cans as being the equivalent of one to two regular cans of 12-ounce beers – instead of four to five cans. Phusion misled consumers by urging merchants to stock the supersize cans with other refrigerated single-serve alcoholic beverages, FTC officials said.

Phusion also has marketed these cans as a single serving, safe to drink all at once, while the FTC considers consuming an entire can on a single occasion equivalent to “binge drinking.” Cans of these carbonated beverages are not resealable, which encourages immediate consumption, FTC officials said.

In a statement, Phusion denied that it engaged in deceptive marketing practices.

“We don’t share the FTC’s perspective and we disagree with their allegations,” said Jaisen Freeman, one of Phusion’s co-founders. “We don’t believe there were any violations. However, we take legal compliance very seriously and we share the FTC’s interest in making sure consumers get all the information and tools they need to make smart, informed decisions.”

The company has agreed to disclose on its containers how the alcohol content of its beverages compares with the alcohol content of a 12-ounce can of beer. The disclosures would be required only on Four Loko drinks or other Phusion malt beverages that contain more alcohol than 21 / 2 beers.

The settlement is subject to a 30-day public comment period before it can be finalized by the commission. Six months after approval, Phusion would start selling its supersize drinks in resealable containers, to give consumers “more flexibility in the way they choose to enjoy our Four Loko products,” said Freeman, who is named in the FTC’s complaint.

Michael Scippa, a spokesman for an alcohol industry watchdog group called Alcohol Justice, said the FTC’s actions are a step toward better protecting inexperienced drinkers.

“These are not products that most adults are attracted to,” Scippa said. “They are a gateway product to move young people from juice and soda pop to alcohol.”

Four Loko said in a statement that it does not target minors.

The FTC declined to comment on whether it will take action against other malt beverage makers.

Last month, Four Loko launched a line called Poco Loko that comes in smaller cans and contains less alcohol.

Posted by: blahblahblah ()
Date: October 09, 2011 05:17AM

they really need to drop this shit. They're just making a frivolous case, and making fools out of themselves. Now i can see where the son got his foolishness from.

Posted by: Two Cents ()
Date: October 09, 2011 06:37AM

blahblahblah Wrote:
> they really need to drop this shit. They're just
> making a frivolous case, and making fools out of
> themselves. Now i can see where the son got his
> foolishness from.

I think getting the can labels updated is about the most they could hope for. After all it was their son, he's a minor and THEY (parents) are responsible for their son, not Four Loko.

Posted by: jklsjfdkl ()
Date: October 09, 2011 02:20PM

qwertyuiop Wrote:
> From my first look at this it sounds like this was
> one of Bo's first times drinking, if not the very
> first time, making him a lightweight when it comes
> to pounding brews.

He was a skinny 15 year old kid. very few kids at that age have the body mass and experience to hold their booze. the fact that he was drinking this crappy stuff is irrelevant. the same thing would have happened with beer and worse would have happened with liquor. if he'd choked on his own vomit after binging some four loko because he didn't know how much alcohol was in it, i would totally support the Rupps. but given the circumstances, the only people at fault for what happened is the kid and the parents.

Posted by: No Go ()
Date: October 17, 2011 06:27PM

That is why everyone needs to THINK TWICE.

Posted by: Sage Continues ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:26PM

The saga continues. It appears that the lawyers for both sides are busy working and have summoned a number of Teens that knew Rupp or attended the concert to give details as to the happenings on the night of the accident. They are looking for anything that will help either side in the lawsuit. The Rupp's lawyer is suing everyone on this from Four Loko, Raceway gas station, and the distributor who delivers the beverage in order to try to get a big payday by placing the blame on others and not believing in ones self actions. The parents of the teens that are being summonsed to come in and grilled for hours about Bo Rupp's state of mind are not happy about being brought into the suit. Not sure there is a lawsuit here being that he was a minor. I guess one could drink a bottle of whatever liquor and sue the maker if anything bad happens. This will be one to watch.

Posted by: alvarezje ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:57PM

The only thing Four Loko is guilty of is tasting like shit.

I like the idea how some GAS STATION has more a responsiblity to watch their boy than they do LoLz
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:08PM

Sage Continues Wrote:
> The saga continues. It appears that the lawyers
> for both sides are busy working and have summoned
> a number of Teens that knew Rupp or attended the
> concert to give details as to the happenings on
> the night of the accident. They are looking for
> anything that will help either side in the
> lawsuit. The Rupp's lawyer is suing everyone on
> this from Four Loko, Raceway gas station, and the
> distributor who delivers the beverage in order to
> try to get a big payday by placing the blame on
> others and not believing in ones self actions.
> The parents of the teens that are being summonsed
> to come in and grilled for hours about Bo Rupp's
> state of mind are not happy about being brought
> into the suit. Not sure there is a lawsuit here
> being that he was a minor. I guess one could
> drink a bottle of whatever liquor and sue the
> maker if anything bad happens. This will be one
> to watch.

what's really funny is that the Rupps prolly paying more attention to that boy now than they EVER did when he was alive LoLz

Re: I like the idea how some GAS STATION has more a responsiblity to watch their boy than they do LoLz
Posted by: Gordon Blvd is an ass ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:29PM

Stop the hate! The Rupps have lost a son. No child is perfect. I am sure they wish their child made better choices. He was a teen. You are an asshole.

Re: I like the idea how some GAS STATION has more a responsiblity to watch their boy than they do LoLz
Posted by: I'm the asshole ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:43PM

Gordon Blvd is an ass Wrote:
> Stop the hate! The Rupps have lost a son. No child
> is perfect. I am sure they wish their child made
> better choices. He was a teen. You are an
> asshole.

Privileged kid makes stupid choice. Fucked up and that's life. There are a few million other kids that never have the chance to be stupid due to war,hunger,disease and many other causes they have no control of.
So fuck you and your arrogance.
Have a pleasant life.

Posted by: alvarezje ()
Date: June 04, 2013 09:18PM

I still wonder about the phenomena of folks who don't understand what fairfaxunderground is. Certainly not an obits page. I have a few friends that have passed in recent years, it's helpful to say some nice things about them on here and remember them with like-minded folks. But make no mistake, you gotta IGNORE the hatred and you'll be fine.

Posted by: You only do it once ()
Date: June 04, 2013 09:30PM

alvarezje Wrote:
> I still wonder about the phenomena of folks who
> don't understand what fairfaxunderground is.
> Certainly not an obits page. I have a few friends
> that have passed in recent years, it's helpful to
> say some nice things about them on here and
> remember them with like-minded folks. But make no
> mistake, you gotta IGNORE the hatred and you'll be
> fine.

I'll have drink for them. And one for you too.
For awhile I drank constantly. As I get older, it seems like I don't drink as much anymore.
Last one wins seems like bullshit now.
There is no passing only .....
Oh yea, I forgot "have a pleasant life"

Posted by: adsfolhkasdk ()
Date: June 05, 2013 07:29PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Sage Continues Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The saga continues. It appears that the
> lawyers
> > for both sides are busy working and have
> summoned
> > a number of Teens that knew Rupp or attended
> the
> > concert to give details as to the happenings on
> > the night of the accident. They are looking
> for
> > anything that will help either side in the
> > lawsuit. The Rupp's lawyer is suing everyone
> on
> > this from Four Loko, Raceway gas station, and
> the
> > distributor who delivers the beverage in order
> to
> > try to get a big payday by placing the blame on
> > others and not believing in ones self actions.
> > The parents of the teens that are being
> summonsed
> > to come in and grilled for hours about Bo
> Rupp's
> > state of mind are not happy about being brought
> > into the suit. Not sure there is a lawsuit
> here
> > being that he was a minor. I guess one could
> > drink a bottle of whatever liquor and sue the
> > maker if anything bad happens. This will be
> one
> > to watch.
>
>
> what's really funny is that the Rupps prolly
> paying more attention to that boy now than they
> EVER did when he was alive LoLz

Yep, sadly that's probably true.

Parents Settle Lawsuit Against 'Four Loko' Makers Blamed in Son's Death
Posted by: ***Updated*** ()
Date: August 30, 2013 06:43PM

Centreville Parents Settle Lawsuit Against 'Four Loko' Makers Blamed in Son's Death
The energy and alcohol drink is under fire in several states. Suit says teen ran into road and was struck by neighbor's car and killed.
http://centreville.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/centreville-couple-blames-energy-drink-for-sons-death-settles-lawsuit

The parents of a Centreville teenager who was killed by a car after drinking Four Loko, a high-energy alcohol drink, have settled a lawsuit with the manufacturer, according to a report by Madison.com.

The drink has been blamed for several deaths around the country, and the company that makes it is facing lawsuits in Ohio, Florida, Illinois and elsewhere. ABC News has reported that three cans of Four Loko carries the alcohol equivalent of 18 light beers and the caffeine of six cups of coffee.

The attorney for the parents, John and Carla Rupp, said their son, 15-year-old John D. “Bo” Rupp II, consumed two, 23.5-ounce cans of Four Loko before his September 2010 traffic death.

Four Loko is a caffeinated alcohol drink made by City Brewing Company of LaCrosse, WI, a plant under a contract with Phusion Projects of Chicago.

The teen began behaving erratically at a concert—so much that staff at Jiffy Lube Live Amphitheater in Bristow called his parents to come get him, federal court documents show.

Rupp, then a sophomore at Westfield High School, apparently ran in and out of traffic near his Virginia Run home on Pleasant Valley Road then sat down in the middle of the roadway and was struck by a neighbor's car. He died the next day.

Jeffery Simon, an attorney for the boy's parents, told the Wisconsin publication that he would not comment on the specifics of the settlement, but did say they were "mutually satisfactory."

Four Loko contains 12 percent alcohol but masks the effects of the alcohol with other ingredients, the lawsuit against the company alleges.

The lawsuit goes on to say the makers of Four Loko purposely concealed the dangers of its product by adding sweeteners to hide the taste of alcohol and packaging it to look like an energy drink and not an alcohol beverage, according to the Madison.com report.

In November of 2010, the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) asked the company to reformulate its drink, citing other cases of injury associated with the drink's consumption. The company said it completely removed the caffeine and lowered the level of alcohol in the beverage before the FDA's written request to do so.

Posted by: El ()
Date: August 30, 2013 06:44PM

Always willing to blame someone else. Never take responsibility for one's own actions. Bet the kid knew what he was drinking. Bet the parents didn't care what he was drinking.

Posted by: svennestle ()
Date: August 31, 2013 02:25PM

RED BULL

not just fusion that's dangerous.

i was drinking one or two a day at work

a much younger mechanic said "hey don't drink that my friend died playing sports from that stuff. heart attack."

two weeks into it (i'm over 40 and smoke) i start getting chest pains daily. i fricking quick drinking it. pains go away. good thing i got warning. Starbucks is way safer and better tasting.

reports mixing red bull and alchohol is dangerous too

-------------------------------------

however there's been public warning it's dangerous. lawsuit(s) have already been in the news. how old is this case?

Posted by: svennestle ()
Date: August 31, 2013 02:32PM

medical bills and cheap funeral is "at cost" expense not penalty. if your ass (donkey) is untied and bites a finger off, you pay for whatever work loss there is too: which is cost.

used to be penalty (above cost) for a death if liable (not murder, accidental death where liability is found) was $10,000

$10,000 is because the person it harmed is dead. and the family / the living are not actually harmed. they cry allot yes. but if cries get lawsuit money the crying never ends

limited especially because they may have colluded to create the death for cash, ie, insurance or lawsuit fraud.

however, many courts have overlooked the law, a law which simply makes sense if you bothered studying even a little

unsure why these courts don't know their ass from a hole in the ground

---------------------------------------------
Postscript.

R.I.P very sorry about the loss.

Posted by: Clarified ()
Date: August 31, 2013 02:56PM

svennestle Wrote:
> however there's been public warning it's
> dangerous. lawsuit(s) have already been in the
> news. how old is this case?

Since 2011.

Re: Parents Settle Lawsuit Against 'Four Loko' Makers Blamed in Son's Death
Posted by: OK ()
Date: October 16, 2013 02:10PM

Settlement must have occurred as stated in the article as they purchased a beach home. Wish them all the best going forward.

Posted by: OK ()
Date: October 16, 2013 02:12PM

Settlement with the companies must have occurred as they purchased a beach home. Wish them all the best going forward.

Posted by: That is interesting ()
Date: October 16, 2013 05:59PM

Purchasing a beach house with the settlement proceeds from the companies that have settled the case.

Posted by: really??? ()
Date: October 16, 2013 06:03PM

I hope that's not true.

Posted by: RABS ()
Date: October 22, 2013 08:48AM

You have no idea what you're talking about! Stop trying to pretend you have any knowledge about this family!
Facts:
1. There has been NO SETTLEMENT!
2.. They have not purchased a beach house or any other property.
3. Get your facts straight before you slander peoples reputations.

Posted by: Beth Tweddle ()
Date: October 23, 2013 09:13AM

Hey Karla,

Maybe if you did a better job raising your son he wouldn't have ended up being a hood ornament for your neighbor's Toyota FJ.

Posted by: really?? ()
Date: October 23, 2013 10:14AM

Pedestrians have the right of way! Regardless of their blood alcohol level!
The car hit his head. that's why he's dead.
The End

Posted by: word origin ()
Date: October 23, 2013 11:10AM

really?? Wrote:
> Pedestrians have the right of way! Regardless of
> their blood alcohol level!
> The car hit his head. that's why he's dead.
> The End

In order to be a pedestrian, you have to be on your feet.

Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.