HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Norm's Beer and Wine
Posted by: David N. Goliath ()
Date: May 16, 2011 11:09PM

This is of interest to me, and I am a resident of Fairfax County, so I believe it is appropriate for this forum:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/the-scene/food-drink/Vienna-Business-Says-Non-Compete-Is-No-Fair-121955234.html

I have been a patron of Norm's since it opened, and will not be happy if The Fresh Market forces them out of their location, even if it is not until 2015.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Norm's Beer and Wine
Posted by: I LOVE NORMS ()
Date: May 17, 2011 03:33AM

I too am a frequent shopper and anyone interested in saving this awesome place is encouraged to go down there and sign a petition. The people there are very friendly and helpful. they carry a diverse range of delicious products and they are most likely more knowledgeable and helpful than anyone this grocery store could hire. there personable attitude, and eagerness to share opinions and knowledge make it a great shopping experience they have beer for and wine for the hobbyists and the budgeted drinkers and for the budgeted hobbyist. If you have never had the pleasure I highly recommend peaking in and picking something up. they are big sports fans Norm is a ravens fan jeff is a washington area fan its overall a very awesome place to hang out and pleasant place to shop. free samples of great beer and wine on fridays and saturdays. A store this cool is not common place in this area, where as there is a McGruders and a whole foods right down the street from Norms.

SAVE NORMS

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: May 17, 2011 08:24AM

The best thing the Fresh Market could have done is force out Magruder's, not Norm's.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 17, 2011 08:29AM

It's sorta stupid to have another grocery store that close to Giant but I guess now that Safeway's gone they feel there's a market for another store. It's a shame too, Fresh Market looks like it might be good but there's no way in hell I'd set foot in the place if they're forcing Norm's out of their lease. People should openly boycott the place.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 17, 2011 08:31AM

Fresh Market better figure out something QUICK or their PR is gonna go straight down the toilet

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 17, 2011 08:35AM

Not a smart move - pissing off customers before the store even opens.

I will not shop at the Fresh Market if this no-compete clause remains.

Posted by: kdoubled ()
Date: May 17, 2011 09:53AM

i am for keeping norms but their prices are high.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 17, 2011 09:59AM

Actually, their prices are extremely competitive. They seem high because Norm doesn't carry a lot of shit brands and doesn't carry 8 balls of malt liquor.

Posted by: Corporate Thugg ()
Date: May 17, 2011 10:41AM

Isn't the same Fresh Market that in another location, tried to prevent a local charity from selling Christmas wreaths near their store, in spite of the fact that the charity had been there for years before Fresh Market shouldered their way into the area?

If they're trying to make people hate them and never enter their Vienna location, they're doing a bang-up job..

Posted by: kdoubled ()
Date: May 17, 2011 11:29AM

itrade, the prices for cider are in line with wegmans and safeway. to me paying the same price doesn't make the extra trip worth it. the selection is of course better. this is why i would rather see norm's stay put, as i mentioned above.

Posted by: gol ()
Date: May 17, 2011 04:27PM

Fresh Market kicks ass. There is one near my place in Hilton Head. I will actually drive out to Vienna to go to one. Only been to Norm's once, so I don't really feel any loyalty.

Posted by: Nic's mom ()
Date: May 18, 2011 09:26AM

I've been to the Fresh Market in Hilton Head, it reminds me of Whole Foods but with less organic food. People love Vienna because of the small community feeling, if we are going to keep it this way we need to shop locally and support our small business's. That said I think Norm's would do fine anywhere else in Vienna,b/c he has a following, but it should not be up to the bullying tactic's of another business where someone can be in business, considering they where there first...isn't this America? There worried about Norm's but not about Giant?
next thing you know they'll have the parking police out, b/c that worked so well for Safeway.

Posted by: Sam ()
Date: May 18, 2011 03:01PM

I'm not sure why the clause wouldn't also apply to Giant, either. I wonder what the distance factor is for the non compete clause http://vienna.patch.com/articles/norms-beer-and-wine-customers-fight-non-compete-clause

Date: May 18, 2011 03:08PM

The non-compete clause is tied to the lease for that specific property (Danor Plaza Shopping Center). Giant is across Branch Road in a different shopping center (Maple Shopping Center).

Date: May 18, 2011 03:30PM

Correct. A non-compete clause prohibits a lessor from renting the property to a competitor. Which makes you wonder if Cenan's will eventually be forced out of that plaza (FM will have baked goods, I'd imagine).

Date: May 18, 2011 03:32PM

Apparently, the center is actually two properties. The Blockbuster divides one "center" from the "other", and Cenans is in the "other" center.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: May 18, 2011 03:48PM

I really like Norm's... their staff has always been friendly and helpful. I haven't been there lately, but I'd be sad to see them go.

Date: May 18, 2011 03:58PM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently, the center is actually two properties.
> The Blockbuster divides one "center" from the
> "other", and Cenans is in the "other" center.

Not according to this:

http://www.streetsense.com/images/flyers/virginia/Danor%20Plaza_Flyer.pdf

Date: May 18, 2011 04:05PM

On a side note Re: Danor Plaza- does anyone remember the name of the deli that was in there back in the late 90s? (where Sweet Ginger is now). It was part of a chain, but this was the only one in NoVa (the rest were in like Charlottesville, I think). After it closed it became a pizzeria for a year or two (forgot the name of that place too).

Date: May 18, 2011 04:11PM

Ut videam Wrote:
> Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Apparently, the center is actually two
> properties.
> > The Blockbuster divides one "center" from the
> > "other", and Cenans is in the "other" center.
>
> Not according to this:
>
A broker does not necessarily mean the same owner. If you bothered to look at the County property map, you would see that I am correct...

Attachments:
BranchSt.bmp

Date: May 18, 2011 04:22PM

You're right. That's what I get for half-assed googling. Interesting that the two parcels are separately owned.

Posted by: Fegelein ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:33AM

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: May 25, 2011 11:20PM

Really, FM is just another big chain that can't compete without cheating the competition. BTW, we don't need your traffic coming into Vienna if you're going to support FM.

Posted by: Tater-salad ()
Date: May 26, 2011 10:03AM

Word on the street is that there are going to be some "accidents" at Fresh Market construction site...the CEO's limo being hit by a few tons of rebar that drop from a crane, you know what I'm saying...

Date: May 26, 2011 10:16AM

Mike Wrote:
> Really, FM is just another big chain that can't
> compete without cheating the competition. BTW, we
> don't need your traffic coming into Vienna if
> you're going to support FM.

Well, tought titty toenails, cause you will be getting my traffic all up and down Maple to go to the Fresh Market. I am going to be all up in your traffic.

Date: May 31, 2011 03:23PM

Tater-salad Wrote:
> Word on the street is that there are going to be
> some "accidents" at Fresh Market construction
> site...the CEO's limo being hit by a few tons of
> rebar that drop from a crane, you know what I'm
> saying...

No. What are you saying? Just come out and say what you want to do so everyone will see it!!!!1111

Posted by: Vienna Native ()
Date: May 31, 2011 04:06PM

Lil Dino's Subs was where Sweet Ginger is now. I had some friends that worked there.

Posted by: Danielle Ornaud ()
Date: May 31, 2011 05:30PM

So when is that renovation happening at Danor

Posted by: Nextdoorneighbor ()
Date: June 02, 2011 12:04PM

I am with you man I love NORM"S there awesome and very friends staff.

Date: June 04, 2011 03:05PM

Nextdoorneighbor Wrote:
> I am with you man I love NORM"S there awesome and
> very friends staff.

Then join that Facebook page!

Posted by: seafood lover ()
Date: June 04, 2011 04:22PM

Genevieve Wrote:
> I really like Norm's... their staff has always
> been friendly and helpful. I haven't been there
> lately, but I'd be sad to see them go.

Norm is cool and I will go out of my way to shop there now. I have a little condo in Va beach and there is a Fresh Market there. Fresh markets seafood is as good or better than the seafood that comes right off the boat. You can order some online and they will fedex it to you and its awesome. We are all VERY lucky to have a fresh market in our area, I will cross any pickett line to get their scallops.

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/online-market/detail.aspx?ID=2064

Date: June 07, 2011 05:21AM

seafood lover Wrote:
> Genevieve Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I really like Norm's... their staff has always
> > been friendly and helpful. I haven't been
> there lately, but I'd be sad to see them go.

Well....do they have the same selection of beer that Norm's sells?

Posted by: Mugsy ()
Date: June 07, 2011 10:09AM

You cross the pickett line, you're gonna get hurt...

Date: June 07, 2011 10:27AM

Mugsy Wrote:
> You cross the pickett line, you're gonna get
> hurt...

bring it on, bitch. I'll be at Fresh Market the day they open and every week thereafter.

Posted by: Mugsy ()
Date: June 07, 2011 03:05PM

You're asking for a fillet of Fresh-from-The-South-Atlantic Sea Bass upside your head.

YOu don't get the warning, you get a tightly wrapped bundle of Arugula across the knee caps.

Date: June 07, 2011 03:15PM

Mugsy Wrote:
> You're asking for a fillet of
> Fresh-from-The-South-Atlantic Sea Bass upside your
> head.
>
> YOu don't get the warning, you get a tightly
> wrapped bundle of Arugula across the knee caps.

Next time I am in the hood, I'll be sure to take a piss on Norm's.

Date: June 07, 2011 03:35PM

Posted by: over ()
Date: June 07, 2011 03:36PM

from the Facebook,,,

The Fresh Market
We’re very excited to be coming to Vienna and to be bringing our unique shopping experience to the community. Being responsible and active participants in the community is what The Fresh Market does and is an important part of who we are. As we have learned more about the Vienna community it has become apparent that Norm’s Beer & Wine is an integral part of the fabric of Vienna. We will work with Norm so that he can continue to serve his patrons from his existing location. We look forward to being neighbors with Norm’s Beer & Wine and together serving the residents of Vienna for many years to come.

Posted by: over ()
Date: June 07, 2011 03:39PM

and..

Message From Norm ! : On behalf of my family and co-workers, I want to thank everyone for their overwhelming efforts and support. Positive steps are underway with The Fresh Market and as a result continuation of the expressions of support and outreach to Fresh market are no longer productive or necessary.

Date: June 10, 2011 04:59AM

Good to hear!

Posted by: Good News and Not-so-good News ()
Date: June 10, 2011 08:11AM

I am happy that Fresh Market has seen the light.

The bad news is that the landlord apparently does not view Norm's as a valued tenant, and that Norm's may move anyway, possibly over to Church Street. Apparently one of the gourmet burger chains is interested in taking the space next to Fresh Market, where the jewelry store used to be. The landlord is telling Norm that they will have to relinquish some of their square footage and close for possibly up to a couple of months to allow for construction of a hallway, through part of Norm's, from the jewelry store to the back of the complex so that the burger joint will be able to take their trash out that way.

Posted by: derrr ()
Date: June 12, 2011 12:52AM

From the save Norm's facebook page

John Lowrey
"Thanks. Believe me, you won't be hurting for business and there are plenty of mouth
breathers who will be happy to pick up cases of Bud Light at your store. The rest
of us enlightened folk will happily shop for sundries at your store, then sneak on
over to Norm's for some Dogfish Head or Hop Devil."
May 29 at 8:32pm

What an uppity d-bag.

It's just beer... get over yourself.

Posted by: More Than Just Beer ()
Date: June 12, 2011 12:59AM

derrr Wrote:
>
> What an uppity d-bag.
>
> It's just beer... get over yourself.

Just beer? One can't put Budweiser in the same class as a Dogfish Head 60-minute India Pale Ale.

McBudweiser - the beer of common folk. Actually, in all seriousness, I'd rather have 2 Dogfish Heads than a 6-pack of Bud. Quality over quantity.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.