HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County Hunting Laws
Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: November 25, 2007 11:30AM

Does anyone happen to know the laws about hunting doe in fairfax county?

if i get a VA hunting Lis, and just sit in my back yard tree stand with a muzzloader...
would this be legal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County Hunting Laws
Posted by: XXX ()
Date: November 25, 2007 11:45AM

20. It shall be unlawful to discharge or shoot any firearm or other
weapon in or along any public road or street or within 100
yards thereof or within 100 yards of any building occupied or
used as a dwelling or place where the public gathers, not his
own dwelling or residence.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf

As long as your within the guide lines above.. Check the link for hunting regs

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 25, 2007 11:57AM

opps. he beat me too it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2007 11:58AM by Gravis.

Posted by: burke hunter ()
Date: November 26, 2007 10:51AM

Yes, I hunt in my back yard ( i back to woods). I've downed geese, deer, ground hog and even a mallard. It is your yard, just be sure not to miss or hit any neighbors. I ues a sliencer and I've had no problems.

Posted by: SneakyPete ()
Date: November 26, 2007 01:28PM

burke hunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I hunt in my back yard ( i back to woods).
> I've downed geese, deer, ground hog and even a
> mallard. It is your yard, just be sure not to miss
> or hit any neighbors. I ues a sliencer and I've
> had no problems.

Burke hunter using a silencer is a very serious Federal offence. I suggest
you get rid of it. Crossbows are fine. Get legal and stay out of trouble.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 26, 2007 01:34PM

If a bullet is fired in the woods with a silencer and nobody hears it, it is really fired?

They should make silencers legal, then when these gun nuts start popping caps at each other it doesn't bother us.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 26, 2007 02:51PM

are silencers completly illegal, or do you need a special permit, like one that you need to have a full-auto weapon?

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: November 26, 2007 03:18PM

"In the United States, it is legal in thirty-five of the fifty states for an individual to possess and use a suppressor; however, one must go through the National Firearms Act process administered by the ATF. Such transfers also require a Federal tax payment of US $200 and a thorough background check."

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: November 26, 2007 04:27PM

I have no idea about silencer laws, but I do know it is legal to bow hunt on property with the owner's consent. So if you want to bow hunt on your own land, you can. No limit to size of yard is specified. But I would suggest not doing it with the neighbor's kids watching. Could be just asking for a lawsuit from the parents of 'children scarred for life' from watching you kill Bambi.

Personally, I cheer every time I see a dead deer on the side of the road. Too many of the damned things around here and it's only getting worse. I get a herd of 10 to 16 through my yard on an almost daily basis.

Posted by: Elmer Fudd ()
Date: November 26, 2007 06:11PM

What is the bag limit on BEANERS? I have reliable information that they are infesting every 7-11, WAWA and Sheetz parking lot, usually in the mornings. Can I bait the lots with taco's and green cards or is that illegal too?
Attachments:
green card.bmp
elm5.gif

Posted by: ................. ()
Date: November 26, 2007 08:22PM

I know you need to have atleast 20 acres of land to shoot any firearm legally in FFX County. How many people here own 20 acres?

Posted by: burke hunter ()
Date: November 27, 2007 11:19AM

It is illegal to use a silencer in ffx county?. Prove it. I made mine out of a small engine muffler. In a hurry potato works well. I have taken mine to the range and nobody said anything, I will continue to eliminate small to medium size animals who trespass on my property. I'm a great shot and with a scope I know I won't hurt anybody. My yard backs to well over 20 acres. What's the big deal, nobody really owns land. It was here before you were born and it will be here after you are dead. You can't really own land one may have some rights to it.

Posted by: Stephen Falken ()
Date: November 27, 2007 12:55PM

In one paragraph, you say you're eliminating animals that trespass on your property, then say that land can't be owned anyway. Who owns that land that your trailer backs up to?

Posted by: Hawkeye ()
Date: November 27, 2007 01:11PM

Federal law strictly prohibits the use of silencers anywhere. Please do not confuse
them with compensators or muzzle brakes. To use one could send you to prison.
Just because your yard "backs up to 20 acres" doesnt make it legal. If your
neighbors call the cops, you are toast! I can understand wanting to control
nuisance animals, but it sounds like you are just getting your jollies off
anyway.

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: November 27, 2007 01:38PM

If you legally own a supressor (aka silencer for the misinformed) then you may use it anywhere you are allowed to legally shoot your weapon. This inclused the range, or private property. You must have your form 4 with the supressor at all times.

Date: November 27, 2007 02:25PM

nakedshoplifter Wrote:
> If you legally own a supressor (aka silencer for
> the misinformed) then you may use it anywhere you
> are allowed to legally shoot your weapon. This
> inclused the range, or private property. You must
> have your form 4 with the supressor at all times.

naked I suggest you brush up on your definitions of firearms components. A silencer and suppressor are two entirely different devices.

Date: November 27, 2007 03:24PM

If a "silencer" were to exist, there would not be any point in firing a gun with one attached, since the bullet would have to travel extremely slowly to be silent, slowly enough that any damage it did would be akin to being shot with a BB.

Indeed, hawkeye, you need to brush up on what a suppressor is and what people think a silencer is.

Date: November 27, 2007 05:17PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> If a "silencer" were to exist, there would not be
> any point in firing a gun with one attached, since
> the bullet would have to travel extremely slowly
> to be silent, slowly enough that any damage it did
> would be akin to being shot with a BB.
>
>
> Indeed, hawkeye, you need to brush up on what a
> suppressor is and what people think a silencer is.

Whoops, I stand corrected. In my military orieted mind, I was thinking
Flash Supressor and saying supressor. I stand corrected and humbly
apologize for my oversight. There is plenty of chatter on
some websites about silencers (or supressors if your prefer)
Federal law strictly prohibits their use by anyone other than
police or military and I would warn anyone thinking of building
or using such a device to please check the regs and reconsider.

http://www.yhm.net/store/muzzle.html

Date: November 27, 2007 05:32PM

AH, indeed a flash suppressor is much different from a sound suppressor

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: November 28, 2007 09:14AM

For the record, anyone who can legally purchase a handgun, that person could legally purchase, own, and use a supressor. This is not the unique realm of the military and PD. Same goes for machine guns, you simply fill out the proper forms, pay the ATF $200 and you now have an expensive, highly regulated "toy". It's a common misnomer that supressors and machine guns cannot be owned by civilians.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MachineGun.shtm

http://www.arizonagunlist.com/How_to_buy_NFA_class3_weapons_with_a_revocable_living_trust_without_a_CLEO_signoff.html

Posted by: mr.J ()
Date: January 22, 2009 10:01PM

Y do you leftests hate guns so much? I hope you get robbed at knife point.

Posted by: Gun Nutz ()
Date: January 22, 2009 11:38PM

Most people who guns end up shooting themselves are a family members. Guns, help rednecks commit suicide since 1776.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 22, 2009 11:51PM

Gun Nutz Wrote:
> Most people who guns end up shooting themselves
> are a family members. Guns, help rednecks commit
> suicide since 1776.

That's not true. You are confusing the statistics.

It is true that self-injury by guns is higher with gun owners than with non-gun owners, but that is not the same as "most gun owners shooting themselves."

Most gun owners do not shoot themselves or a family memeber. Most gun owners rarely fire their weapons, or do so mostly at firing ranges following standard safety procedures. Well, except when you talk about the folks living in trailers in the woods out in bumfuk, VA, but even then, alcohol is usually involved, and that's a whole different legal issue.

Date: January 22, 2009 11:58PM

Hawkeye Wrote:
> KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If a "silencer" were to exist, there would not
> be
> > any point in firing a gun with one attached,
> since
> > the bullet would have to travel extremely
> slowly
> > to be silent, slowly enough that any damage it
> did
> > would be akin to being shot with a BB.
> >
> >
> > Indeed, hawkeye, you need to brush up on what a
> > suppressor is and what people think a silencer
> is.
>
> Whoops, I stand corrected. In my military orieted
> mind, I was thinking
> Flash Supressor and saying supressor. I stand
> corrected and humbly
> apologize for my oversight. There is plenty of
> chatter on
> some websites about silencers (or supressors if
> your prefer)
> Federal law strictly prohibits their use by anyone
> other than
> police or military and I would warn anyone
> thinking of building
> or using such a device to please check the regs
> and reconsider.
>
> http://www.yhm.net/store/muzzle.html

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/03/virginia-va-what-nfa-firearms.html
Virginia (VA) What NFA Firearms can I own?
March 25, 2008
Posted In: Any Other Weapons (AOWs) , Class 1 Firearms , Class 3 Firearms , Destructive Devices (DDs) , Machine Guns , National Firearms Act , Short-Barreled Rifles (SBRs) , Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBSs) , Silencers , Title II Weapons , Virginia

By David M. Goldman on March 25, 2008 7:14 PM | Permalink

There are several type of Class 3 items that are restricted by the National Firearms Act.

Each state can impose additional restrictions on the sale, purchase, and transfer of class 3 firearms in addition to the compliance that is required with the national Firearms Act.

In Virginia you can own the following items that are regulated the the National Firearms Act

Machine Guns
Silencers
Any Other Weapon (AOW)
Destructive Devices (DD)
Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)

In Virginia you cannot own the following NFA restricted items.
None

Posted by: Charleton ()
Date: January 23, 2009 12:21AM

Bob Wrote:
> In Virginia you can own the following items that
> are regulated the the National Firearms Act
>
> Machine Guns
> Silencers
> Any Other Weapon (AOW)
> Destructive Devices (DD)
> Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
> Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)
>
>
> In Virginia you cannot own the following NFA
> restricted items.
> None

And would you please explain to us how you may legally acquire the
above?

Date: January 23, 2009 12:49AM

International Police Supply
4491 Cheshire Station Plaza #175
Woodbridge, VA 22193

Individual Sales

IPS also provides law-abiding American citizens with access to high quality tactical equipment

http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/individual.htm

http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/suppres.htm

Individual Sales

IPS also provides law-abiding American citizens with access to high quality tactical firearms and equipment.

Please note: Not all firearms below can be owned by all individuals. In most states, Individuals may own any of the firearms in the Blue box. Firearms in the Grey Box are generally restricted to Law Enforcement AGENCIES and the US Government.

http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/forsale.htm

http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/ownmg.htm

Requirements for Purchasing Machine Guns, Silencers, or Short Barreled Rifles/Shotguns

It is a common misconception that machine guns, silencers (suppressors), sawed-off shotguns, and short barreled rifles are illegal to own. This is entirely untrue. Your Constitutional Right to Bear Arms is guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. The National Firearms Act of 1934 (Title 26, USC Chapter 53) and the Gun Control Act of 1968 make formal provisions for the private ownership of these weapons. Individuals (ie. non-firearms dealer or police dept.) are allowed to purchase machineguns that are classified as "Transferable", that is, weapons that were registered as machine guns prior to May of 1986. Since there are a finite number of these weapons, prices are continually rising. Silencers, Sawed-off Shotguns, and Short Barreled Rifles are still in current productions, so the prices of these items remains fairly constant. For an Individual the requirements to purchase these weapons are:
1. Be a US Citizen at least 21 years old
2. Be of sane mind
3. Not an abuser of drugs or alcohol
4. Have never been convicted of a felony
5. Pay a $200.00 Federal Transfer Tax on each weapon purchased. (This is a one-time tax, not a yearly tax)
6. Fill out BATF Form 4 and submit to ATF. This involves getting a Signature of the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" in your area signifying that he has no knowledge that you will use your weapon for anything other that lawful purposes
7. Have your fingerprints/photographs taken and submitted to BATF with the above application.

After approximately 90 days, during which time the FBI runs your prints to verify your identity, etc., the transfer will come back approved. Only after the transfer is approved can you take possession of your item. It is interesting to note that since 1934, when machine guns, silencers, short shotguns/rifles began to be regulated, there has only been one case of a legally owned weapon being used in a crime - and the user was a police officer.

In areas where a person cannot acquire a Law Enforcement Signature because these people would rather violate your rights than let you own one of these items, there is another way. BATF allows Corporations and Trusts to acquire machine guns, silencers, etc. without having to complete the Law Enforcement Certification part of the form. If you have your own Corporation, or you are an Officer in a Corporation, the Corporation can acquire these items, and you, as a Corporate Officer, can keep the item at your home, take it to the range shooting, etc. just as if the item were registered to you. If the Corporation ever dissolves, the item must be transferred out of the Corporation to another individual or Corporation (or Dealer). Because a Corporation is not a person, an FBI fingerprint check is not required which reduces the transfer approval time to about 30 days.

Virginia and Florida Law allows the ownership of legally registered machine guns, silencers, short-barreled rifles/shotguns. If you live in a state other than Virginia or Florida, please contact us to verify the laws in your state. At International Police Supply, we are committed to providing you with the highest quality products and services at the most reasonable prices. Please feel free to e-mail us to discuss your firearms needs or to ask us any questions about acquiring specialized weapons or accessories.

Posted by: hunter 83 ()
Date: March 18, 2018 01:00PM

I hunt deer all the time from my house in Burke. We have about 1/4 acre. I set out feed for them in my front yard over by where the landscaping is and just wait. I get a really good shot from our guest bedroom window. Neighbors don't like it, but so what... what are they going to do about it?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.