HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Challenger league
Posted by: Special_Ed ()
Date: May 06, 2011 05:07PM

Challenger league provides baseball thrills for disabled children
Jamboree lets children with disabilities enjoyed their version of the national pastime
by Reed Albers | Staff Writer
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/cms/story.php?id=3439

When Scott McIntosh wanted to find an athletic outlet for his autistic 11-year-old son, Sean, baseball was one of the last sports to cross his mind.

"We found the program by accident," he said. "At first you think, 'Baseball? That's not going to work with these kids.'"

But after coaching for Reston Little League's Challenger League and serving as the organization's Challenger League commissioner for three years, McIntosh has come to find baseball can be played by anyone -- even children with severe physical and cognitive disabilities.

"By the second or third season, the kids are able to get out there and do it," he said.

Challenger League baseball isn't quite like little league games played on Saturdays, but it does allow children whose disabilities prevent them from participating in normal sports to play.

At the Challenger League Jamboree on Saturday, local teams featuring children with disabilities enjoyed their version of the national pastime on fields at Cub Run Elementary School.

The event brought together Challenger League teams from Chantilly Youth Association, Southwestern Youth Association, Reston Little League and Loudoun County to mix-and-match rosters for a unique event.

"This was the first year we were able to get more than two teams together for this jamboree," said Sean Fitzsimmon, Chantilly Little League Challenger League commissioner. "It was nice to invite other teams in and play other teams, to get together with other parents and meeting people in the community."

"To be able to get together with other groups is wonderful," McIntosh added. "In Reston we have about four teams, and we just play each other. After a while you just play each other so many times. It's wonderful to come out and meet some new people."

Rules for challenger games are simple -- there aren't many.

Games run about two innings with each player batting twice, similar to a T-ball game.

"We just tend to get a feel of how everyone is doing and when players are getting tired," Fitzsimmons said. "We don't want it to drag on too long, so we usually just go two innings each."

Each player has a designated "buddy" -- a parent or volunteer helper -- who helps them advance bases, collect the ball and go through the basic baseball motions. There's no scorekeeping and parents cheer for players on both teams.

The game also is tailored to each player's ability.

If a player is limited physically, they may bat off a tee or have someone throw the ball for them. If they can swing the bat, then a coach or buddy will pitch to them.

More often than not, the buddies do play a major role in influencing the game.

"You tell [the kids] to pick up the ball and throw it and you think it would become natural," he said. "But because some have sequence problems, they have to be reminded what to do with the ball."

At the Jamboree, teams featured about 15 players per team, but Fitzsimmons said team sizes generally are smaller.

"We usually have about 10 players per team, so when it's that small we may go for a few more innings," he said.

McIntosh has another way of gauging how long a game goes.

"Sometimes if we're having a good time or people are in the mood, we'll just keep on playing," McIntosh said. "We're just out here to have some fun."

Although sports are the draw to bring everyone together, Fitzsimmons said not every player is there for baseball. His daughter, Haley, 18, enjoys being with her peers as much as being on the field.

"For my daughter, it's all about the socializing aspect of the game," he said. "It could be hockey and she wouldn't care. She just wants to have fun."

It's also a water cooler for parents to get together -- just like any little league event.

"It's a good chance for the parents to take a break and let the coaches handle the kids," McIntosh said. "They can relax and talk amongst themselves and just enjoy watching their kids."

The leagues also enroll help from local high school and travel teams to serve as on-field buddies.

"We have kids with physical and cognitive disabilities so there's a lot of hands-on coaching," McIntosh said. "We also have kids from Oakton High School come out and serve as buddies for the kids. You get these big high school guys in their uniforms and our kids are just in awe of them."

At the end of the day, it's not about the score or how many hits a player gets. Just the thrill of being able to hold the bat, wear a uniform and be with friends is enough for the children.

And then there's the occasional time a player does score.

"When a kid comes across home plate, they're all smiles," McIntosh said. "It's just great for them."

ralbers@fairfaxtimes.com

Jacob Franeh, 9, of Centreville connects with a pitch during a Chantilly Youth Association Challenger League baseball game on Saturday. This is the fourth year Franeh has competed in the league, which is designed for children with special needs.
Attachments:
ChallengerX_050611W_rgb.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Challenger league
Date: May 06, 2011 05:21PM

LOL i'd pay to see that

Posted by: Politically Incorrect ()
Date: May 06, 2011 05:32PM

the grammar police Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL i'd pay to see that

I've seen it and it hurts so much to try to hold the laugher inside. I had to run into the woods and let it out. Hahhahahahahhah!

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: May 06, 2011 07:21PM

I can make fun of a lot of things, but not this. Having a good friend back in the day with a mentally challenged brother made me appreciate how these kids just want to do the same stuff as the "regular" people do.

I'm glad there's something like this out there.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: May 06, 2011 09:01PM

The Challenger League plays in Springfield every Sunday as well. Great program.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: May 06, 2011 09:16PM

This sounds just like the Miracle League down in Richmond. Good stuff and believe me it does make a difference in these kids lives.

A good video on the league: http://www.miracleleague.com/

Posted by: Special_Ed ()
Date: May 07, 2011 06:04AM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can make fun of a lot of things, but not this.
> Having a good friend back in the day with a
> mentally challenged brother made me appreciate how
> these kids just want to do the same stuff as the
> "regular" people do.
>
> I'm glad there's something like this out there.

Here's a song dedicated to you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IFUNIa2NU8

Posted by: special ()
Date: May 08, 2011 07:43PM

X

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.