HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
affordable dog groomers
Posted by: Dog Dad ()
Date: May 04, 2011 12:16AM

Can anyone recommend a dog groomer that is good, yet affordable? Paying $50+ to groom my medium-sized dog seems too high.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: affordable dog groomers
Posted by: CorbinDallas ()
Date: May 04, 2011 12:58PM

If you are paying $50, count your blessings. I have a standard poodle and currently paying $95 at K-9 Dog Whisperer at Franklin Farm. Wouldn't mind the cost so much but usually have to take him back the next day of things they have missed. My favorite groomer and have used him for 8 years, Jay at Reston Animal Hospital. His pricing was usually around $85-$90. Would continue to use Jay, but it's a hit or miss whether I have to deal with a not so friendly receptionist/staff behind the counter. I have also used Pretty Paws in Chantilly, they are reasonable and do a very good job and they get your pup in and out quickly. You might try a Grooming School but you will not get a perfect cut.

Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: May 04, 2011 06:08PM

I think $50 is pretty reasonable too. I take my dog to Red Dog Spa because they don't put the dogs in cages and usually spend around $80. They do an excellent job. So you might want to stay with whoever you are currently going to if they only charge $50. I think I paid more than that at Petsmart. And they did a lousy job.

Corbin...I think you need to find another groomer if you have to take the time to take your dog back and point out their mistakes. At $90, that would make me mad!

Posted by: whobe ()
Date: May 04, 2011 06:18PM

What exactly do these groomers do? I've had dogs most of my life and never thought they needed a makeover? WTH?

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: May 04, 2011 07:22PM

Depends on the type of dog you have. A lab, for example, doesn't really need its hair to be trimmed. A schnauzer or poodle on the other hand, needs a haircut regularly.

It's possible to trim your dog's hair yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Posted by: Support student groomers ()
Date: May 06, 2011 05:37AM

Take them to Edison High School to Edison Academy. It's the county's best deal and best kept secret for dog grooming. The students do an amazing job.

Posted by: c students ()
Date: May 08, 2011 08:54PM

Check there grades before you leave your pooch

Posted by: Watch your homonyms ()
Date: May 09, 2011 07:03AM

c students Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check there grades before you leave your pooch

Check your spelling before you post. It's "their" not "there" but maybe you missed that lesson in 3rd grade.

Edison High School students are excellent job groomers. In fact, they have a waitlist for grooming appointments because they are so popular.

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: May 09, 2011 07:38AM

I would suggest getting a smaller or NO dog.

IF it only takes two hours to groom your dog, you're talking $25/hour (and evidently that's too much). All of my dogs take longer than 4 hours each. Damn near slave wages at your pricing.

Or you could stop complaining and pay a fair price for professional service.

Or you could go to any 7-11 in the area, hire a couple of day laborers and not only get your dog groomed at home, but your yard work done as well.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.