HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Damn Stinkbugs!
Posted by: lordfairfax ()
Date: April 25, 2011 10:27PM

WTF? They are all over the place! I figure in the fall they're just trying to get in for the winter. But for the last week or so, we've had 'em all through the house! This is the first spring we've had a problem. Can't believe these bastards over-wintered and are now trying to get out.

Anybody else having issues?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Damn Stinkbugs!
Posted by: ololo ()
Date: April 25, 2011 10:32PM

This is what OP is talking about

Posted by: Davis ()
Date: April 25, 2011 10:43PM

I hear they have the 'distinct smell of sweaty feet' but Ive never smelled anything at all from them, despite an instance of me squishing hordes of them en masse on the job. Perhaps its a DNA thing.

Date: April 25, 2011 10:45PM

If you step on them or swat them, they will spray at you - defense mechanism. And, it does stink.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Les ()
Date: April 25, 2011 10:46PM

In the woods when I step all over them, they give off a terrible smell like rotting corpses. I caught a few in my home. They're very tame. I just grab it and throw it out the door.

Posted by: )!(! ()
Date: April 25, 2011 11:11PM

I heard (on the radio) the other day, that when you see the stink bugs in summer/early fall they're trying to get into your house; but, any stink bugs you see in the spring/early summer have been holding up in your house the entire winter...probably in your walls...and they are now trying to get out to eat crops/plants.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: April 25, 2011 11:30PM

ive had them invade my room since last year. usually i flush about 5 per day.

its beyond f'n annoying.

the best and worst part is that they fly into my fan. the fan being on full speed, usually causes some sort of internal bleeding because youll find 2-3 bodies dead a day later on the floor.

someone help me with this shit. its beyond annoying.

Posted by: johnsmosby ()
Date: April 26, 2011 12:45AM

Don't kill them or grab them in your house. My understanding is that if they release odor more are attracted to the odor. I have ben sucking them up with a shop vac which was a suggestion I saw somewhere....

Posted by: rob ()
Date: April 26, 2011 12:49AM

i try to grab them lightly so they dont emit the smell.

either way, they are dead somewhere in my room the next day due to colliding with a speeding fan.

Posted by: Blam ()
Date: April 26, 2011 04:40AM

The things are annoying, but are generally stupid and easy to spot. They are very loud and they'll just fly around aimlessly it seems if they do.

Grab a peace of toilet paper or paper towel and VERY GENTLY capture it inside the the paper, they typically won't attempt to fly away or struggle. Try your best not to squish them in the very slightest, that will release their stink. Proceed to flush them down your toilet.. don't be a hippie and let them go back outside.. there are enough of these fucks as it is.. kill them off.

Try to avoid vacuuming them. It is a surely violent death and their stink will no doubt be released.. you run the risk of some of it escaping the vacuum. If you are lucky and it doesn't escape, you will have to deal with the stink later whenever you empty it or possibly use your vacuum again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug

Originally from Asia, sneaked aboard some various shipments of junk and found itself in Pennsylvania/New Jersey several years ago. Year by year they continue to spread and become more dense in number. Pretty much nothing will eat them.. at least not a second time.. animals learn not to continue to go for this little fucker once it gets a taste of its horrid stink the first time. The main predator that DOES eat it is not native to the U.S. (some kind of wasp), but introducing it here can take time and may not be desirable in itself. If you are worried that they are inside and may eat up your clothes or something, don't.. they just like the warmth of your house.

--------------------------------------
DAMN!

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: April 26, 2011 06:35AM

They'll cover your fingers with an orange substance if you spook them while picking them up, and the smell is a musty odor. So far they haven't been as bad as last year, but who knows. We have the Orkin dude spray our perimeter at least four times a year, so that probably helps somewhat.

Btw, we have quite a few native stinkbug species, so don't confuse the recent menaces with them. The problem ones are Chinese in origin, and recent arrivals. Oddly enough, almost every pest we've had in this area during the past decade or two has been Chinese in origin. Coincidence?

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: April 26, 2011 06:36AM

johnsmosby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't kill them or grab them in your house. My
> understanding is that if they release odor more
> are attracted to the odor. I have ben sucking them
> up with a shop vac which was a suggestion I saw
> somewhere....

I just pick them up and toss them back outside. No big deal.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: lordfairfax ()
Date: April 26, 2011 08:53AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> They'll cover your fingers with an orange
> substance if you spook them while picking them up,
> and the smell is a musty odor. So far they haven't
> been as bad as last year, but who knows. We have
> the Orkin dude spray our perimeter at least four
> times a year, so that probably helps somewhat.
>

We have Western Pest on contract and they tell me there is currently no defense against the Asian variety. The stinkbugs are f'ing annoying and they drive my wife absolutely insane.

Date: April 26, 2011 09:13AM

lordfairfax Wrote:
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They'll cover your fingers with an orange
> > substance if you spook them while picking them
> up,
> > and the smell is a musty odor. So far they
> haven't
> > been as bad as last year, but who knows. We
> have
> > the Orkin dude spray our perimeter at least
> four
> > times a year, so that probably helps somewhat.
> >
>
> We have Western Pest on contract and they tell me
> there is currently no defense against the Asian
> variety. The stinkbugs are f'ing annoying and
> they drive my wife absolutely insane.

I was doing some sit-ups during PT in the house last summer, and when I turned over to do push-ups, I noticed that I had squashed one stink bug on the rug, another was crawling by, and a third was on the ceiling.

While we're talking about bugs, do you know what those red colored wasp looking things are? I used to think they were young Mayflies, but somebody went to pick one up yesterday and it stung them. There wasn't a venom reaction, and I noticed they are drawn to light at night. Are they young wasps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 09:15AM by ThePackLeader.

Posted by: Native Va bees ()
Date: April 26, 2011 10:48AM

I live on a 5+ acre lot and after we moved in and spring came we had so many bees. My son who was five at the time was stung by a wasp on his finger and now is afraid of any and all bugs.

My pest control company is out here each week. They said I have every bee that is native to Virginia. Now I am getting them in the house.

Anyone have any natural ideas on how to get rid of them?

Thanks.

Date: April 26, 2011 10:54AM

That's wild, because we've had fewer bees/wasps overall. Maybe they like your crib better!

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: April 26, 2011 11:23AM

Native Va bees Wrote:
> I live on a 5+ acre lot and after we moved in and
> spring came we had so many bees. My son who was
> five at the time was stung by a wasp on his finger
> and now is afraid of any and all bugs.
>
> My pest control company is out here each week.
> They said I have every bee that is native to
> Virginia. Now I am getting them in the house.
>
> Anyone have any natural ideas on how to get rid of
> them?
>
> Thanks.

If they are getting inside they may be living up in your attic. Not "natural" but set a bug bomb off up there to kill them. After that get it sealed up properly so there is no place for them to get in.

Posted by: fatboyx ()
Date: April 26, 2011 01:50PM

I have squashed 100's in paper towels and never once has it produced a noticable smell.

Oh and to cover myself I dont smell you leeches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 01:50PM by fatboyx.

Date: April 26, 2011 01:54PM

Gently pick them up using a sheet of paper (slide it so that they walk onto it). Drop them into a mason jar full of vodka or isopropyl alcohol. Cover jar with lid. Watch em die.

Posted by: fatboyx ()
Date: April 26, 2011 02:04PM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> Gently pick them up using a sheet of paper (slide
> it so that they walk onto it). Drop them into a
> mason jar full of vodka or isopropyl alcohol.
> Cover jar with lid. Watch em die.

Hahahahahah, i love how this begins nicely and ends sadistically.

Posted by: mike ()
Date: April 26, 2011 10:12PM

i can't leave my window open for more than 10 minutes without one coming in, which sucks cuz it's so damn hot right now. luckily they're so sluggish all you have to do is grab them with some toilet paper and flush them.

Date: April 26, 2011 11:14PM

mike Wrote:
> i can't leave my window open for more than 10
> minutes without one coming in, which sucks cuz
> it's so damn hot right now. luckily they're so
> sluggish all you have to do is grab them with some
> toilet paper and flush them.

Don't you have A/C?

Posted by: oc ()
Date: April 26, 2011 11:27PM

I was at Chick-fil-A in Manassas the other day and there were 4 of them on the window, inside the restaurant. And that was just right next to where we were sitting.

Posted by: mike ()
Date: April 26, 2011 11:42PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> mike Wrote:
> -----
> > i can't leave my window open for more than 10
> > minutes without one coming in, which sucks cuz
> > it's so damn hot right now. luckily they're so
> > sluggish all you have to do is grab them with
> some
> > toilet paper and flush them.
>
>
> Don't you have A/C?

yeah but my room is on the top floor of my house, so we'd have to blast the AC to make my room comfortable. plus the evening sun comes in through the windows

Posted by: versionfiv ()
Date: April 29, 2011 01:34PM

you can create a trap by taking a 2 foot section of pvc pipe that you can fit an energy saving bulb inside with some room to spare. make many large holes in the pipe section. for the light to shine through. coat the pipe section with adhesive that will not deteriorate. put the energy saving bulb inside the pipe section, use a fixture from a hanging lamp, where it's just the power cord and the light fixture. then attach the pvc pipe section to a tripod. plug the power cord into an extension cord, and plug the extension cord into an outlet in your garage or wherever outside. the light attracts the bugs, and they get stuck on the adhesive and die by the dozens. here is one in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FYMA9yzvl4
i recommend you build one yourself, instead of buying a premade one, as this time of year they are sold out and overpriced.

Date: April 29, 2011 01:39PM

So wouldn't a regular bug zapper work just as well?

Date: April 29, 2011 01:41PM

fatboyx Wrote:
> I have squashed 100's in paper towels and never
> once has it produced a noticable smell.
>
> Oh and to cover myself I dont smell you leeches.

Get one with toilet paper and throw it in the toilet. Then piss on it. If you can't smell it then, you do not have any sense of smell.

Posted by: dcx ()
Date: April 29, 2011 02:07PM

In the Chick-Fil-A, I was sitting in the booth behind a stink bug. He was having a carrot-and-raisin side salad and a fresh squeezed lemonade in his healthy lifestyle meal.

Posted by: I hope you all are ()
Date: April 29, 2011 02:12PM

A bunch of teenage girls.

If not you need to grow a set.

Holy cow it is just a few harmless bugs.

Date: April 29, 2011 02:28PM

I hope you all are Wrote:
> A bunch of teenage girls.
>
> If not you need to grow a set.
>
> Holy cow it is just a few harmless bugs.

You just wait. It hasn't hit the area that hard yet. In a few years you will think it's the apocalypse. Just ask those in upper MD or PA. The few you see here and there are nothing. If you have a few in your house now, next year it will feel like an infestation.

Posted by: Question? ()
Date: April 29, 2011 03:19PM

Does anyone know if some parts of Fairfax have a worst infestation of stink bugs? I have seen only about 20 so far.

Date: April 29, 2011 03:24PM

Posted by: Ha ha ha ()
Date: April 29, 2011 03:28PM

Thanks for the video.

Date: April 29, 2011 04:19PM

Question? Wrote:
> Does anyone know if some parts of Fairfax have a
> worst infestation of stink bugs? I have seen only
> about 20 so far.

Yes, parts closer to large sections of woods will have it worse. However, it will get worse everywhere as they continue to migrate. Seeing 20 a day will not be uncommon.

Posted by: I read in that ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:29PM

The stinkbugs will crawl into your house when it gets cold. Then they stay and hatch eggs. Gross.

I am girl so I can be bugged out.

Date: April 29, 2011 06:36PM

mike Wrote:
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> -----
> > mike Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > i can't leave my window open for more than 10
> > > minutes without one coming in, which sucks
> cuz
> > > it's so damn hot right now. luckily they're
> so
> > > sluggish all you have to do is grab them with
> > some
> > > toilet paper and flush them.
> >
> >
> > Don't you have A/C?
>
> yeah but my room is on the top floor of my house,
> so we'd have to blast the AC to make my room
> comfortable. plus the evening sun comes in through
> the windows

Damn, that sucks. Do you have any fans to increase air circulation up there?

Posted by: Laughing_Boy ()
Date: April 30, 2011 09:14AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> Btw, we have quite a few native stinkbug species,
> so don't confuse the recent menaces with them. The
> problem ones are Chinese in origin, and recent
> arrivals. Oddly enough, almost every pest we've
> had in this area during the past decade or two has
> been Chinese in origin. Coincidence?

Yes, just take a look at Annadale. Its infested with Stink bugs that walk on two legs and drive their cars like they were Ray Charles.

Date: May 03, 2011 06:03PM

I now understand the stink bug issue better than ever. Last night I had my garage door opened while I was working on a light out front. I suddenly heard what sounded like hard rain-drops hitting the side of the house, and I looked and saw two moths, so I thought they were the culprits. Today however, I walked into the garage and there must've been about 20-30 stinkbugs clustered around the windows of my garage door. Insane. I've left the door open for the past hour hoping they fly back out.

I can't believe it either. I never see these bugs around the lights outdoors, but suddenly when there's an interior light they zoom right in.

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: May 03, 2011 06:16PM

No stinkbugs here. The bird is the word.
Attachments:
American Robin copy.jpg

Posted by: Stinkbugs ()
Date: May 03, 2011 10:18PM

I had one with me this morning while in the shower. Gross. And yes I am a girl.

How that little fucker got in is beyond me. I have the AC on.

I shudder to think what will come next.

Please someone come up with something to kill these things quick.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: May 04, 2011 11:32AM

I read in that Wrote:
> The stinkbugs will crawl into your house when it
> gets cold. Then they stay and hatch eggs. Gross.
>
> I am girl so I can be bugged out.

I know plenty of guys that get creeped out by the bugs too. Females don't have a monopoly on that.

Date: May 04, 2011 11:39AM

Blech. Had to kill about 20 of them yesterday. The vodka/rum mason jar is getting full. Unfortunately, they do not seem to sink to the bottom after a few days of decomposition.

Posted by: Kill Em All ()
Date: May 04, 2011 12:34PM

Don't let them back outside, squish them in a paper towel or drop them in the toilet. That way the same bug won't keep coming back or reproduce.

Posted by: Men who are scared of bugs ()
Date: May 04, 2011 01:50PM

Are they gay? I would never marry a man who was scared of bugs.

Posted by: one ()
Date: May 04, 2011 05:32PM

I think we've only seen one this spring.

Posted by: rid of them ()
Date: May 09, 2011 06:40AM

how do you get rid of them. They are all over my yard and house

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.