HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Opportunity For Community Service/Student Service Learning Hours
Posted by: Michal Otten ()
Date: November 18, 2007 03:47PM

Are you a student in need of community service or student service learning (SSL) hours for school? Or is your child looking for an interesting and easy way to earn hours?

This is a great way to earn a couple SSL hours in one sitting while helping a graduate student further her education. A George Mason University graduate student in School Psychology is looking for volunteers ages 6-16 to take part in graduate student intellectual assessment training.

Student has received a criminal background check prior to entry into the program. Course instructor: Ellen W. Rowe, PhD.

Who:
• Children ages 6-16 who will not need a standardized assessment with the WISC-IV, Stanford-Binet V, or any other intellectual assessments within the next year. A child who has already taken any of these tests this year is fine.

Where:
• Volunteer's home or George Mason University Center for Psychological Services (Fairfax, VA)
• Parent will not be able to sit in on testing (it puts too much pressure on the child). Child can take breaks throughout testing and see parents then.

When:
• September-December 2007
• Approximately 3-4 hours one time commitment (but you can participate more than once if you want!)
• Flexible schedule (at your convenience)

Risks/Benefits:
• No likely risks; child may experience some test anxiety if unfamiliar with testing procedures. All data is used anonymously and destroyed following course completion.
• No direct benefits, but child will gain exposure to individualized testing environment and assist graduate student training.

NO TEST RESULTS WILL BE PROVIDED TO VOLUNTEERS

If interested, please contact Michal Otten at (240) 277-6961 or motten@gmu.edu

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opportunity For Community Service/Student Service Learning Hours
Posted by: ben ()
Date: November 18, 2007 08:25PM

I worked with some janitors for my forced FCPS "volunteerism" hours. All it taught me to do was resent the system even more.

Thanks, FCPS!

Posted by: UFO fan ()
Date: November 18, 2007 08:37PM

Is this the kind of thing where they put a micro chip into you head?

Date: November 18, 2007 11:05PM

No, this is the kind of thing where a graduate student asks a volunteer some questions and has them complete some puzzles in order to learn how to give the tests they will be giving on a regular basis once employed in a school. It is a learning experience for the student, and the volunteer often enjoys it as well. It is an easy and interesting way to earn a couple of community service hours.

Date: November 25, 2007 06:32PM

I only have one test left to give this semester and am desperate for a volunteer. Please, any parents interested in helping or students in need of community service hours, please send me an email or give me a call!

Michal Otten
motten@gmu.edu
240-277-6961

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.