HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FFX car tax relief
Date: April 14, 2011 10:28AM

For 2010, what was the percentage of car tax "relief" accorded to standard vehicle owners (i.e., those cars weighing less than 7500 pounds and valued at more than $1,000). I cannot - for the life of me - find the bill that I received.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FFX car tax relief
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: April 14, 2011 10:57AM

Date: April 14, 2011 11:07AM

Thanks for the sarcastic post. But the website does not disclose the actual percentage of relief in 2010 (just an approximation). Care to try that again...

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 11:08AM by Pinhead the Cenobite.

Posted by: Repub ()
Date: April 14, 2011 11:14AM

Republican VA Governor Gilmore was elected in 1997 based on a simple slogan - No Car Tax!

Date: April 14, 2011 12:28PM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the sarcastic post. But the website
> does not disclose the actual percentage of relief
> in 2010 (just an approximation). Care to try that
> again...

It says "At present, the State pays approximately 70% of the bill, and the taxpayer pays the remaining 30%. " What more do you need?

And if that isn't enough, that links their phone number. Fuck me, we have kids that won't call an establishment to see if he or she can work, and we have adults who won't call the County tax office when they have specific tax questions. FairfaxUnderground is the info source for that? Really?

"For more information...or contact the Department of Tax Administration at 703-222-8234. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 12:30PM by justsayin.

Posted by: Car tax advocate ()
Date: April 16, 2011 04:35PM

This probably won't go over well, but I strongly believe a high car tax is needed as it highly beneficial for the environment and is very progressive. The car tax is essentially a luxury tax in that the more cars you buy, and the more expensive your car, the more you pay. So if you have lesser means, you pay less. And a higher car tax may help us meet our air quality targets in northern Virginia for a change. It can only be good for our environment to discourage ownership of high-emissions SUVs and other expensive personal vehicles.

Posted by: -SBS-_ ()
Date: April 16, 2011 06:11PM

Car tax advocate Wrote:
>
> And a higher car tax may help us meet our air
> quality targets in northern Virginia for a change.
> It can only be good for our environment to
> discourage ownership of high-emissions SUVs and
> other expensive personal vehicles.

Nice theory, but what it really does is encourage longer ownership of older, more polluting vehicles. The car tax and the state safety inspection go hand in hand. Car tax means lots of people driving old, worn out pieces of crap, so the inspection is needed to remove the pieces of crap that pose a danger on the road.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: April 16, 2011 07:20PM

You guys aren't really falling for the "relief" stuff, are you?

If so let me clarify how it works.

The state wants an annual x% tax on cars. It knows that this will piss people off because property taxes by definition are retarded. So in an attempt to appear sympathetic and soften the blow, it makes the tax rate x+y% and then provides "relief" by "paying" the y% itself.

It's no different than when you go into a place like Kohls and every single item in the store is "on sale" for half off the "list price". It's a marketing gimmick.

Okay?

Date: April 16, 2011 08:41PM

Car tax advocate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This probably won't go over well, but I strongly
> believe a high car tax is needed as it highly
> beneficial for the environment and is very
> progressive. The more cars you buy, and the more
> expensive your car, the more you pay.

That's like saying a flat tax is very progressive because the more income people make the more they will pay, yet no one thinks flat tax is progressive. Of course that is why arguments about how "regressive" or "progressive" a tax may be is stupid.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: notsayin ()
Date: April 17, 2011 07:46AM

Mail in check for $1000 and you should have know problem.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.