HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
EBSCO Research *BEST* Pick Reports
Posted by: recycletime ()
Date: April 09, 2011 11:53PM

Ok... how many people got one of these EBSCO Research BS Best Pick Reports in the mail today?

Please explain to me how there could be even a minuscule grain of truth that these publications are legitimate picks.

The didn't list best recycling service, but for now I'll be recycling their publication with American Disposal Service on Monday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EBSCO Research *BEST* Pick Reports
Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: April 09, 2011 11:57PM

I was wondering the same thing myself. I figured it was just an advertising gimmick. My copy will join yours at American Disposal recycling.

Posted by: Maclay ()
Date: April 10, 2011 12:27AM

Got mine few weeks back when I flipped it open to plumbers and saw My Plumber ranked high I knew it was trash... nuff said

Posted by: agreed ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:38PM

I got one too... they start right off saying they are an independent research firm... how can that be the truth?!

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:42PM

Independent does not equal unbiased

Posted by: rtg ()
Date: April 12, 2011 08:29PM

What do you all think about Consumer's Checkbook for reviews?

Posted by: Rambunctious ()
Date: April 13, 2011 12:02AM

rtg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you all think about Consumer's Checkbook
> for reviews?

I've been happy with them. I bought into Angie's List for a short term stint and the contractors (painters) recommended on one were also highly rated on the other.

Posted by: LortonGuy ()
Date: April 14, 2011 08:24AM

I have used COnsumers Checkbook adn Angies List. I like CC better. That EBSCO thing was crap - just a marketing gimmick

Posted by: theOPof-thisthread ()
Date: April 27, 2011 11:39PM

I had a friend talking highly of consumer checkbook today at lunch...

Posted by: L lawrence ()
Date: May 21, 2011 04:28PM

I have just reviewed the Air Conditioning & Heating section that the" BEST PICK REPORT" list as good companies to use in Fairfax County. Of these five recommended Companies, four have multiple complaints with Fairfax County Consumer protection.

My experience with companies that have complaints filed against them by county residents is not good. The county first requests that the consumer try to work it out with the company before coming the county for assistance. It's a very bad sign if residents file complaints.

I do not use any company that has more than one complaint and only if that complaint has a favorable resolution. I didn't bother checking any other categories because of the track record of the first one.

If you want to know the truth about a company before you decide to use them, go to Fairfax County's web site. And unlike Consumer Checkbook it is a free and wonderful service provided by Fairfax County. County information follows:

Consumer Protection
Complaint History Lookup (Last updated on 5/2/2011)

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/IQext/csd_acs.asp?byletter=Y

edit by Cary (the admin): Fixed link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 06:16PM by Cary.

Posted by: Alirv ()
Date: August 03, 2011 09:04AM

I received a copy of the EBSCO Research *BEST* Pick Reports months ago (Prince William County: gainesville, haymarket, manassas). Right off the top, I saw it as very suspicious. But....I did keep the copy for some of the reference material within. Trust me on this....if I do use one of the businesses listed in them....I will let them know....I ain't for no mess!

If I cannot find the business listed in the State of Virginia License Lookup (http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/regulantlookup/selection_input.cfm?CFID=6115684&CFTOKEN=64028719), I won't be using them. Anybody can get a "so-called" license from most any county in Virginia. Just pay the county cost and fees for the license. Virturally no type of serious enforcement with meat from the vast majority of counties. My experience is that Fairfax County may be the only exception.

The State of Virginia's position is only use those listed in their License Lookup to protect the consumer/homeowner. If the busines screws up, the state will get envolved. This carries a lot of clout if you ultimately sue. Since I have a real estate license, I am very aware of the viewpoint of the State of Virginia. I have never been involved doing anything wrong,but....I have heard plenty in the real estate community about screwing up. And if you haven't noticed....many of the businesses you contact will tell you that there is no requirement to register with the state. This is because the business knows that they will be held to the most high of standards and a watchfull eye will activate if they screw up.

Posted by: Consumer Advocate ()
Date: August 03, 2011 10:59PM

Only trust Washington Consumer Checkbook and Angie's List. The others are marketing crap and/or totally biased.

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: August 19, 2011 08:58AM

Everyone who said this EBSCO best pick reports is totally marketing crap - one of you please back up your claim. I don't know anything about it for sure and I admit it, but those who claim to know should have some evidence. I just am curious if this is something that you actually researched or are just being skeptical.

Posted by: Nan ()
Date: September 09, 2011 09:52AM

I called the company and point blank asked how they make their money. The person answering the phone punted it to someone else who called me back.
Like the first person, he started into the information that was in Best Picks publication. I finally stopped him midway through and said that I have read all that, that I knew they were not doing this research for their health, how in fact did they get paid. He then admitted that after much "independent research" the firms were invited to be published, and that paying to be in the publication ultimately got it done.

Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: September 09, 2011 10:21AM

Nan Wrote:
> I called the company and point blank asked how
> they make their money. The person answering the
> phone punted it to someone else who called me
> back.
> Like the first person, he started into the
> information that was in Best Picks publication. I
> finally stopped him midway through and said that I
> have read all that, that I knew they were not
> doing this research for their health, how in fact
> did they get paid. He then admitted that after
> much "independent research" the firms were invited
> to be published, and that paying to be in the
> publication ultimately got it done.

I figured as much. This copy will be put in American Trash recycling too. (just like the last one we got)

Posted by: chris ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:25PM

It costs them at least $0.50 to print and mail each of these in bulk. There are close to 400,000 housing units in Fairfax county. Who pays for this??? The people in the book!

Posted by: Check Consumer's Checkbook ()
Date: September 12, 2011 02:00PM

"What do you all think about Consumer's Checkbook for reviews?"

Consumer's Checkbook is very helpful, with one caveat - the most highly rated companies can be impossible to get in touch with (presumably, because they're busy with referrals from CC). Example: I called three highly rated companies for assistance with basement flooding after the recent torrential rains; only one returned my call - but they were great.

Posted by: Dave ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:07AM

I can tell you I used the electrician that was number on on there list(long before I got this publication). They are an over paid marketing engine that sub contracts other electricians. They wanted to charge $500 dollars for a job any quality electrician would do for $250 or less. I got the job done for $150 from a guy I have now used 5 times and recommend to my clients...Garbage Paid to get your name in Publication IMO.

Posted by: Scam ()
Date: September 17, 2011 08:57AM

Definitely a scam. Somewhere that actually does objective research wouldn't be able to give the results away for free. Consumer Reports isn't free for that very reason. They wouldn't be able to go out and buy 10 fridges to test out with no subscribers.

Posted by: Mike G. ()
Date: November 21, 2011 12:45AM

Ok, here is the deal after some investigation. It is not really a scam per se. To be in the book you have to have been in business for numerous years and be fully licensed etc with a long track record. This is because the contractors in the book pay a fee when they sell a job to the research company. It is a small percentage I believe. And the research company ultimately wants contractors who do good work and sell jobs so they get paid. However, I think Angie's list is probably the best source.

Posted by: Tom M. ()
Date: February 24, 2012 12:08PM

I used the mover and had a good experience. The estimator confirmed that they do pay a small percentage to Ebsco research. He also said they must re-qualify every year. Ebsco follows up with customers and 9 of 10 must say they would use the contractor again.

Posted by: Manfred M ()
Date: January 14, 2013 05:11PM

This is book is wrong!. I used it to hire a pool company in Dallas and it turns out the pool company and its technicians were not licensed by the state of texas to do electrical work by installing a new pump motor for the pool. All that was required of Best Pick Reports was a simple search at the following link http://www.license.state.tx.us/LicenseSearch/LicenseSearch.asp under electrician and residential appliance installer & residential appliance contractor. Hiring unlicensed techicians exposes me to risk that someone could electricute themselves and/or possibly cause a fire and burn my house down. Cannot trust this book and its findings!

Posted by: Consumer Reeport ()
Date: January 14, 2013 07:10PM

There's an inherent conflict of interest in EBSCO's business model, which is why Consumer Reports does not accept any advertising. Nothing about the EBSCO reports can be trusted, since they are paid by the contractors they're pretending to review. Like most here recommend, the best you can do with the EBSCO junk is to dump it right into the recyling bin.

Posted by: FairfaxDad ()
Date: January 15, 2013 08:44AM

Might as well just roll the dice. From the EBSCO website FAQ:

"How are the publications funded?

Once research is complete, contractors that excel in each category have the option of participating in the Best Pick program. Those who choose to participate receive the Best Pick designation and authorize EBSCO Research to include their names in its annual publication. Participation in the Best Pick program is completely voluntary and includes a fee to publicize the rating established by our independent research. Good companies that decide not to participate can promote their business through their own marketing efforts."

So, if the "Best" company in their research doesn't want to pay to be published, then the number 2, or 5 or 25 becomes the "Best Pick."

Posted by: Best Paid Marketing ()
Date: January 15, 2013 09:37AM

I looked through one once. It was all the big local companies for things like HVAC and plumbing. I find it hard to believe they are truly the best. Probably just the only ones willing to throw "EBSCO Research" a few bucks.

Posted by: jopaga ()
Date: June 01, 2013 01:20PM

I just want to know if the county or state is in any way paying for this. if so, it is a complete waste of tax dollars.

It is one thing if EBSCO is paying or various contractors, etc are paying to get their name in it, but it is another if our counties paying to get these reports in our hands.

Thanks!

Posted by: CheckBookFan ()
Date: June 01, 2013 03:23PM

L lawrence Wrote:
> I have just reviewed the Air Conditioning &
> Heating section that the" BEST PICK REPORT" list
> as good companies to use in Fairfax County. Of
> these five recommended Companies, four have
> multiple complaints with Fairfax County Consumer
> protection.
>
> My experience with companies that have complaints
> filed against them by county residents is not
> good.... > >
> If you want to know the truth about a company
> before you decide to use them, go to Fairfax
> County's web site. And unlike Consumer Checkbook
> it is a free and wonderful service provided by
> Fairfax County. County information follows:
>
> Consumer Protection
> Complaint History Lookup (Last updated on
> 5/2/2011)
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/IQext/csd_ac
> s.asp?byletter=Y
>

Good resource but not a sub for Checkbook Magazine which tells the consumer who the good companies are, not just the ones to avoid.

Posted by: Consumer guy ()
Date: June 03, 2013 06:48AM

EBSCO is just a BS enterprise to make money for the owner. It's business model is biased and flawed in so many ways. Businesses pay to be advertised/promoted.

Legitimate sources to check out contractors:

Washington Consumer Checkbook
Angies List
Fairfax County Consumer Affairs Complaint lookup
Washington D.C. area Better Business Bureau
Virginia DPOR contractor lookup

Posted by: Cat Lady ()
Date: June 03, 2013 10:35AM

Consumer guy Wrote:
> EBSCO is just a BS enterprise to make money for
> the owner. It's business model is biased and
> flawed in so many ways. Businesses pay to be
> advertised/promoted.
>
> Legitimate sources to check out contractors:
>
> Washington Consumer Checkbook
> Angies List
> Fairfax County Consumer Affairs Complaint lookup
> Washington D.C. area Better Business Bureau
> Virginia DPOR contractor lookup

Ummm... You realize that Angie's List and BBB both rely on basically the same biases and clawed model to make money for their owners right?

Posted by: Cat Lady ()
Date: June 03, 2013 10:37AM

^ Stupid phone... make that biased and flawed. lol

Posted by: Dennis Baker ()
Date: January 03, 2014 04:41PM

I just joined this advertising group. They take up to three trades in any catagory. Before agreeing to take on a company they do background checks on the companies. We gave the names of several hundred jobs we did and they call those people. That is right. All of them or until they get 100 people that say they were satisfied with the work. They checked our licenses and insurance. We have so far, paid them not a penny. We pay them when we get a job which means they are paying all the up front freight. It is in their best interest to find and promote good companies under that program. Ever wonder about Angies list? Yes they track results but if the contractor wants to move up on their pages well, an HVAC guy I know was asked to pay $3,000 per month for the privilege of being near the top of the headings! His wife sent out an angry letter and dropped Angies list completely. They got a lot of work from Angies List but were continually hounded to pay more to "advertise".

Posted by: Ralph Barker ()
Date: April 15, 2014 09:31AM

Thank you EBSCO and please keep mailing me your "best picks" list. If I see any

company on your list they I've used (even to my complete satisfaction) they are

immediately dropped from MY list. So, you do perform a valuable service.

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: June 04, 2015 08:29PM

Total scam, as far as I can figure.

Based on their recommendation, I hired "The Plumbing Doctor" to do some plumbing work. $210 later, my toilet (it was a simple fix, running continuously) isn't fixed, and they couldn't be bothered to show up for a followup appointment.

How much does "The Plumbing Doctor" charge to attach an existing 1/4" copper pipe bleeder line to a refrigerator? $253.

I'll certainly never use tPD again, and won't use Best Pick Reports to pick anything other than my nose.

-R

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: August 14, 2015 12:25PM

Scam Wrote:
> Definitely a scam. Somewhere that actually does
> objective research wouldn't be able to give the
> results away for free. Consumer Reports isn't
> free for that very reason. They wouldn't be able
> to go out and buy 10 fridges to test out with no
> subscribers.

They get there money by calling all of businesses past clients to get feedback on weither they are good company. Then get a percentage of any work completed directly from their marketing for these companies.

Posted by: JimC ()
Date: September 25, 2015 02:05PM

Interesting correlation between EBSCO Best Pick Reports listing and complaints on YELP!

Posted by: Busted mag ()
Date: September 26, 2015 07:21AM

EBSCO is simply a marketing and advertising listing. Pure and simple. There is nothing to tell you if the advertisers are good or bad companies.

Depend on:
(1) Washington Consumer Checkbook
(2) Angie's List
(3) A neighbor referral

Posted by: Not Angie ()
Date: September 26, 2015 08:17AM

EBSCO is garbage, but so is Angieslist. Angieslist pushes contractors hard to pay a lot of money for prominent placement. And if they get good reviews, they become overwhelmed with work and then either raise prices dramatically, never call you back, or tell you you'll have to wait months and months for the privilege of employing them. And finally, the reviews on Angieslist are a joke. Seems 95% of businesses get an "A", no matter how badly they raped customers on price or quality.

Posted by: MB ()
Date: May 14, 2016 02:58PM

It is crap

Out of curiosity I looked up a Chimney and Fireplace contractor I had really awful dealings with in the past. Sure enough, front and center in the "Best Pick" listings. This particular contractor triple billed me on my credit card. When I got my statement I called the office to straighten the mess out, got nowhere so told them I would go down to the office personally to show them my credit card statement etc. Was met in the parking lot by a goon squad of 5 or so employees. Pushed passed them (I'll admit I can be kind of intimidating myself) walked into the office and locking eyes with the owner, got a very nervous billing assistant to refund me my money.

So this is the kind of contractor you may end up with choosing one of their "Best Picks".

Posted by: Vin16111 ()
Date: July 23, 2016 08:09AM

Well for all you who have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, let me give some real solid information. I have a Carpet Cleaning Company in the Best Pick Reports book and there research is far from BS. I've worked with Angies List, Home Adviser etc. and they all have the same thing in common, you pay to get in. There is no guarantee that an of those companies are good because any one with a couple hundred a month can be on the front page. Now of course people can leave bad reviews of the company but let me tell you how Best Pick chose us. We gave them 400 of our most recent clients and we needed at least a 90% satisfaction rate for them to consider looking at our company (look on their website they have a video showing how the research). All I know is we have to re-certify every year. You cannot pay to be in this book, and they only charge if they deliver business. I love this company and its model and many happy customers would have never found us, and enjoyed our excellent service, if it wasn't for BP. Doesn't mean you can't have a bad experience with a company in the book, but if that company has falls bellow the 90% they will be out of the book. BP realizes someone some where will complain, sometimes customers expect the unreasonable, or sometimes a company hires a new guy who messes up on a job, point is things happen, but one thing for sure is this is a good company, plus you can nominate a company you really like and, they will look into them, and if they pass the BP test then they can be in.

Posted by: NJvW7 ()
Date: July 23, 2016 11:55AM

Look at multiple ratings in your search for contractors. If you don't already have one, shell out the peanuts it costs for a subscription to DC Consumers Checkbook. Their ratings are thorough and helpful.

Posted by: Debb W. ()
Date: May 31, 2017 11:29AM

It clearly states on Page 1 under "Publication" that "Qualified companies pay a fee that allows us to mail the publication". Unbiased? Reliable? Genuine? Nope. It's a shame trees had to die to publish this advertising book.

Posted by: George Wang ()
Date: November 02, 2018 03:20PM

Best Pick report is a marketing scam. they get paid somehow.
I was stupid enough to use two contractors on the list but none were satisfactory.
Their charges are outrageous!!

Posted by: Scam ()
Date: April 12, 2019 07:54AM

George Wang Wrote:
> Best Pick report is a marketing scam. they get
> paid somehow.
> I was stupid enough to use two contractors on the
> list but none were satisfactory.
> Their charges are outrageous!!

It's a scam. A lot of this happens in technology too. Those "10 Best Cybersecurity Company" publications you find at the airport? All paid for by the vendors in the list.

I run a company and these guys email me looking for money. When I ask how we made the list, all they'll vaguely say is research which I know is fake.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.