HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Wegmans?
Posted by: bigeats ()
Date: April 06, 2005 03:09PM

Has anyone been to the new Wegmans in fairfax corner yet? I hear it's huge. How does it compare to Harris Teeter and the such? Prices?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Wegmans?
Posted by: erik ()
Date: April 06, 2005 03:54PM

If you like food you'll like Wegmans. It is huge. Everything you need is available. The butcher/fishmonger/deli/bakery is a sight to behold and worth the trip alone. [Speaking of fish, it's the only good place around Centreville to get fresh seafood - Giant is a mess and the seafood at Grand Mart smells like ass and kimchi boiling under a hot sun.]

They have a nice wine selection, and good beer is readily available. They have all the organic, artisan, craft-made stuff you can handle, too, without the pretentious bullshit of a Whole Foods.

You'll also experience some serious yuppie loathing. As soon as you make the parking lot, you'll want to kill the bitch in the Murano and the dickweed in the M3. That soccer mom in her ribbon-infested Suburban blocking the whole lane sure pissed me off. And this is before you get into the store.

I think the store sort of dazzles people, as crowds just tend to stop in the middle of an aisle, blocking access to what you need. The cart jams will make you insane if you like to think ahead and strike quickly at the grocery store.

But, it's worth it, if only for the Stepford Wives associates that work there. The customer service is well done, if a little robotic. Also, they have, like, every checkout lane open, so the lines are very tolerable.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Cm ()
Date: April 06, 2005 05:43PM

Excellent review, erik, right down to the parking lot!

The place is huge, and it feels even bigger than the one they built out in Sterling. One thing to note for those of you that have kids, there is no play area for the kiddies (Sterling has one).

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: April 06, 2005 06:41PM

The Wegamsn in Sterling is quite a bit larger... the one in fairfax is getting a 5-star restaurant...

so says the wegmans manager I installed a dell for the other day...

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: April 06, 2005 10:03PM

I have been too scared of traffic to go to the fairfax wegman's... I have been hitting the sterling one pretty regularly though.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 06, 2005 10:39PM

Well, I wouldn't even compare it to garbage like Harris Teeter...I need to get some pics, but I wrote a bit about it here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12980674

Posted by: Johnnybadhair ()
Date: April 11, 2005 09:56AM

Traffic at the Fairfax Corner Wegmans has subsided a bit. I think the initial thrill is finally over and people are treating it more like a supermarket than a theme park. Parking is also a lot easier, but the yuppies and SUV soccer moms still haven't learned how to negotiate the lot so be alert.

Helpful Tip: Don't exit onto Monument Drive. Exit at the light onto Government Center Parkway. I've noticed quite a bit of asinie driving at the intersection of those two roads due to morons trying to make the U-turn to get back to Rt. 29. Just wait the 30 seconds at the light asshats. There have been far too many fender benders there lately.

Posted by: CableDawg ()
Date: April 11, 2005 10:12AM

The traffic has subsided a bit, but I would still stay away on the weekends unless its real important. Nights early on in the week are probably the best time to go. I believe they are open until midnight too.

A great thing I like about weggies is that you can weigh your own produce and print out a bar code so there are no more issues with price checks and what not. I suppose you could also screw them out of a few bucks as well :) Makes checking out that much faster!

Posted by: Kjatar ()
Date: April 12, 2005 10:16PM

I think the pastry/candy shop that they have in the fresh food side adds a huge amount to it. The things you can get there are masterfully made, and taste very good. My best friends and I went there at the end of Spring Break and got chocolate domes in celebration.

Re: Wegmans
Posted by: dlee ()
Date: April 14, 2005 10:48AM

Having shopped all over Fairfax, I would definitely recommend Wegmans for your staples and high-end groceries. That being said, Super H Mart on Lee Highway has much lower prices on produce and fish. We eat a lot of fruits and vegs and save roughly $100/month by not buying that stuff at Wegmans.

We used to shop Food Lion on Lee Hwy for low prices on general purchases; however, I've found that Wegmans prices on such items are comparable. Granted, Wegmans has a lot of expensive high-end or rare items. But if you're just shopping for eggs, milk, canned vegs, etc... The prices are very reasonable. Also, I've found their generic store-brand products to be pretty good. For example, their store brand orange juice is not from concentrate and generally is on sale for $1.50 to 2.00.

Just one word to the wise. If you park in the basement, there are elevators for transporting your grocerie carts between floors. A friend of ours had been shopping there for weeks without noting this obvious detail.

Also, hamburger and hotdog buns are located across from the cold cut deli and not with the general bread products, just FYI.

Date: April 14, 2005 01:09PM

It seems a lot of the asian/foreign culture markets have cheaper produce and fish. GrandMart in Centreville is the same way, except you have to have undying patience just to get into the produce and fish section, that and it really smells horrible because of the fish.

Super H Mart
Date: April 14, 2005 01:55PM

I love it at Super H Mart. They always have these "Super Crazy Sales" (like the old K-mart blue light special). The other day this guy climbed on a crate with a bullhorn and started hawking the tiger shrimp for 5.99/lb for 10 min only... super crazy sale. I didn't even want shrimp, but I can't resist the bullhorn. That was some damn good shrimp though.

When me and my wife shop Super H, pretty much we're the only crackers in there. That's all right by me though.

How about a lot of Wegmans employees are white teens. Having lived in the area for a couple years now, that really shocked me.

I'm not trying to make any racist statements or flamebait. It was just a surreal experience as compared to the usual "you want combo?!"

Date: April 14, 2005 02:39PM

"you want combo?" HAH nice. Too true though. It is rather strange that most of the employees are white teens. I didn't really think of it until you said that. As for being the only crackers in Super H...I felt the same way in GrandMart. Except I'm never going back to GrandMart. I swear I was in rude central.

Re: Super H Mart
Posted by: asnpcwiz ()
Date: April 14, 2005 03:27PM

dlee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love it at Super H Mart. They always have these
> "Super Crazy Sales" (like the old K-mart blue
> light special). The other day this guy climbed on
> a crate with a bullhorn and started hawking the
> tiger shrimp for 5.99/lb for 10 min only... super
> crazy sale. I didn't even want shrimp, but I
> can't resist the bullhorn. That was some damn
> good shrimp though.

Oh shit DLEE, I was there. My wife and I were looking for stuff to buy for dinner and we were walking by right when dude got on top of the crate and started screamin about the "CRAZY SALE". It was hilarious, damn F.O.B.'s. I didn't buy any just because I had to get away cause I was laughing so hard. But good deal though.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: April 14, 2005 06:46PM

dlee Wrote:
> I love it at Super H Mart. They always have these
> "Super Crazy Sales" (like the old K-mart blue
> light special). The other day this guy climbed on
> a crate with a bullhorn and started hawking the
> tiger shrimp for 5.99/lb for 10 min only... super
> crazy sale. I didn't even want shrimp, but I
> can't resist the bullhorn. That was some damn
> good shrimp though.

That stuff freaked me out when I was traveling. They really do bring the best parts of the culture here, don't they! :)

I'm definitely going to the Asian markets more now.

Posted by: rtcpenguin ()
Date: April 15, 2005 01:38AM

dlee Wrote:
>
> I'm not trying to make any racist statements or
> flamebait. It was just a surreal experience as
> compared to the usual "you want combo?!"

Omg--Wendy's?

I get that comment whenever I go to the Wendy's at Fair City Mall

Date: April 15, 2005 12:36PM

Yeah, the "you want combo?" is Wendy's totally. I didnt even realize it till another friend pointed it out. But now, whether it's the wendy's off Jermantown or the one over on Main Street or whereever else you go, it's always "You want combo?"

Some clever PR person should pick that up as a Wendy's ad mantra. I can see it now.

Wendys... You want combo?

It would be the "where's the beef" of the new millenium.

Dave Thomas is rolling over in his grave. On a side note, how about quality control went to shit once he died.

Posted by: asnpcwiz ()
Date: April 15, 2005 02:18PM

They have quality control at Wendy's?!?!?

Posted by: Mr. Ima Burper ()
Date: June 30, 2006 05:24PM

The wegmans at FairFax is HUGE! ABSOLUTLY HUGE! I printed off a map so I wouldn't get lost. The prices are the same as all the stores in the region! Duh!

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 07:18PM

Yeah, I guess that is a completely relevant thing to say 1 year + 1.5 months after the last post.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 08:23PM

One time at the drive through of Wendys the guy actually tossed the bag to me. I woudl say he was a good five feet from my car window but I made the catch. Damn good thing it was just the food and not the drink.
I thought it was kind of funny. You have to figure those people get next to nothing in pay and have to put up with all the bitching of customers wanted a five star restaurant for under five dollars.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: June 30, 2006 10:28PM

I haven't been to the Wegmans in Fairfax, but the one in Dulles has a surprisingly average beer selection compared to everything else available in the store. The wine selection is fantastic. The cheese selection is mind-boggling. The pastry area is astonishing. Then you walk to the beer area and the selection barely competes with Giant. They should really work on that.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 04, 2006 03:02PM

Im heading over to Wegmans right now, Ill see if I can get some pics.

Its huge. Everything is huge. 3 floors. Restaurants. Wegmans brand stuff is on the cheap and tasty. I buy wegmans ice cream and its nearly as good as Ben and Jerry's.

I went to the Wendys in Fredericksburg today. They fucked up my order and the bathroom was flooded, crap in the toilet. Also tables dirty.

Date: July 04, 2006 04:38PM

OK got some pics, if anyone cares.

30 fricken checkouts. A parking garage. An olive bar...
Attachments:
DSCF1302.JPG
DSCF1303.JPG
DSCF1304.JPG
DSCF1305.JPG
DSCF1306.JPG
DSCF1308.JPG

Date: July 04, 2006 06:55PM

Thanks for the pictures of a grocery store. Did anyone think you were a total weirdo for taking pictures around the place?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 04, 2006 06:56PM

I wanted to say it back when he posted, pgens, but I am trying to be nice today. That is by far the oddest 4th of july activity of the day, decade, millenium.

Date: July 05, 2006 09:08AM

He should have at least used a better quality camera so the two potentials checking out greeting cards could have been properly analyzed. Now we'll never know.

edit to add: greeting cards, not greeting cars. Greeting cars would be deadly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2006 12:35PM by pgens.

Date: July 05, 2006 01:33PM

pgens Wrote:
> Thanks for the pictures of a grocery store. Did
> anyone think you were a total weirdo for taking
> pictures around the place?

Yes, two people asked me what I was doing. I said for a "wikipedia-like site" citing the wiki we have.

THe Greeting card: the female closest to the camera ( a fujifilm finepix or somthing like that)
meh, the one farther away is more of a possibility.

Posted by: food shopper ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:20PM

bigeats Wrote:
> Has anyone been to the new Wegmans in fairfax
> corner yet? I hear it's huge. How does it
> compare to Harris Teeter and the such? Prices?

they are everywhere

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.