HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Loud booms? Quantico exercises this week April 2 – April 10, 2011
Posted by: Grandson ()
Date: April 05, 2011 02:43PM

This was originally posted to another thread blaming the loud noises on the Luck Stone family of quarries in the area. Turns out it's actually Quantico. I can hear the booms clear as day from Chantilly. Seems to have really picked up since 2:30pm.

Their advisory says "March 19 through Sunday, March 27" but clearly lists dates in April. Guess they rescheduled.

http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/Sentry/StoryView.aspx?SID=5089

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RELEASE 110401 April 1, 2011

Noise Advisory

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. – Residents in the immediate vicinity of Marine Corps Base Quantico may experience an increase in noise as a result of scheduled training exercises during the week Saturday, March 19 through Sunday, March 27, 2011

· Tuesday, April 5 – Explosive Munitions Training is scheduled from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.

· Wednesday, April 6 – Explosive Munitions Training is scheduled from 12:01 a.m. (midnight) to 9 p.m.

· Thursday, April 7 – Explosive Munitions Training is scheduled from 12:01 a.m. (midnight) to 1:30 p.m.

· Friday, April 8 - Explosive Munitions Training is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

** Please Note: These times reflect the periods during which the training ranges are reserved. Training does not occur continuously during these periods. Effects of training vary depending on weather conditions. Overcast conditions may increase noise and vibration. **

All questions regarding this training should be directed to the Quantico Public Affairs Office at: (703) 784-2741 -- [Fax (703) 784-3526]

edit by Cary: Merged the similar thread "loud rumbles making house shake yet no thunderstrom" into this one. May the timestamps and subject lines be your guide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 04:26PM by Cary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loud booms? Quantico exercises this week April 2 – April 10, 2011
Posted by: Fairfax resident ()
Date: April 05, 2011 02:58PM

I do not live in "the immediate vicinity of Marine Corps Base Quantico"--I live near GMU in Fairfax--yet I have found the booms all afternoon rather jarring.

loud rumbles making house shake yet no thunderstrom
Posted by: handlesparky ()
Date: April 05, 2011 02:44PM

ok so i know we had some awesome thunderstorms last night but there isnt anymore storms yet there is a deep loud rumble that shakes my house and just made my 2 dogs stand to attention. its about 240PM on tuesday.

anyone have an idea?

Re: loud rumbles making house shake yet no thunderstrom
Posted by: handlesparky ()
Date: April 05, 2011 02:45PM

never mind! just saw the other thread as soon as i had posted this one

Posted by: drive the news ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:22AM

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=149&sid=2333371

WTOP follows FFXU's lead -- again.

Their reporters are getting lazy

Posted by: Fairfax Station Residence ()
Date: April 08, 2011 08:28AM

The noise is extremely disturbing. Our windows and art work rattle and we are in a very solid house adjacent to Fountainhead Park. It also bothers our pets. The noise has been much louder this week. I called several neighbors about it and they agreed it's much louder than normal. I have to look at the schedule on a weekly basis to make sure I don't have company when it's going on. It may be the sound of freedom, but I'd think twice about moving within the sound of the exercises again.

Date: April 08, 2011 08:31AM

The noise is extremely disturbing. Our windows and art work rattle and we are in a very solid house adjacent to Fountainhead Park. It also bothers our pets. The noise has been much louder this week. I called several neighbors about it and they agreed it's much louder than normal. I have to look at the schedule on a weekly basis to make sure I don't have company when it's going on. It may be the sound of freedom, but I'd think twice about moving within the sound of the exercises again.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.