HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Backyard breeders???
Posted by: chihuahuamom ()
Date: November 07, 2007 05:52PM

I have a question and if your not serious and just plan on replying with spam posts, please dont.

I bought a Chihuahua from a breeder in MO in April of 2007. I did everything I was suppose to do, such as check her references, her AKC membership, her local counties registration records for breeders, the BBB ect.... Basically I did my homework before I bought.
My little Angel is now 10 months old and I noticed awhile ago that her back legs turn inwards and she is pigeon toed and when she ran, she would hop like a bunny, which I just thought was cute and her being a typical puppy and her back legs, well I didnt know what to think of that, other than it couldnt be anything serious because she was just a very happy and active puppy. Well last week her back leg would just go out on her for no apparent reason at all, she would hold it, then in a few minutes would put it back down and be herself. She didnt appear to be in any pain. I thought maybe she got her toe caught on something, so I just watched her and as each day went on her back end out go out more and more each day. So I took her to my vet, only to find out that she has luxated patella's in both knee's both grades 3 and 4 and not only that but her hips are in horrible condition if not somewhat deformed. Surgery is the only correction and after speaking to three surgeons, we are looking at almost $6000.00 for both knee's and hips to be done.
Now when she came to me she had to have a physical exam and checked for genetic defects prior to shipping and she passed and then I took her to my vet within 72 hrs of having her and he didnt find anything really wrong with her. She was only 1.5lbs when I got her and smaller than a cox cable remote control, so I dont know if the problems with her knee's and hips could even be found at that time. My vet says that this normally doesnt become a problem until they are around 4-5 month of age, and thats its rare to see it in such a young pup.

So anyway, I contacted the breeder who basically told me that there is nothing wrong with her chihuahua lines and then she provided a list of her demands before she would consider a 50% refund, which boils down to $300.00. Her demands were that she wanted another two vet visit reports from unaffiliated vets, so actually a total of 4 reports. My vet, the surgeon and 2 more unaffiliated vets, along with xrays and records showing that she is spayed. AFTER she gets all that, then she will provide a $300.00 refund or I can return my little Angel for a full refund less shipping costs. This woman is out of her mind!!!!! I would NEVER give my dog back to her and her demands in my opinion are ridiculous. I think my vets report along with a surgeons report as well as xrays is sufficient enough to prove that she sold me a puppy with genetic defects. Well not good enough for her.

Does anyone know what I can do or where I start with filing charges (lawsuit) against this woman so that she will be held responsible for selling a puppy with genetic defects. I dont really care if she refunds me anything towards the cost of surgery, but I would like her to refund the cost of the dog which with shipping was $900.00. That would at least help in going towards the surgery costs. She is still selling puppies too, I just googled her name and found a new website for her breeding and I also went to puppyfind.com and she is still on there with her pups for sale too. I think she should be held accountable. somewhere down her chihuahua lines are luxated patella's and hip problems and it just happen to pass onto my little one. If this is the case she need not be breeding those dogs anymore, at least the mom and dad that I got mine from and she should also be obligated to contact all the other buyers from the same liter to inform them of potential problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on where to start. I've already written a letter to the AKC to inform them, but they do not regulate breedings with they're members.

Thank you,
Chihuahuamom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Backyard breeders???
Posted by: gabydamage ()
Date: November 07, 2007 06:11PM

Great, just what we need.....someone suing a dog breeder......what is this world coming to ??????

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 07, 2007 06:18PM

Many sellers will offer a certificate on screening for hip problems but it is no guarantee that they will not occur. No one can ever guarantee that.
When you get a popular breed that is in demand like the Chihuahua you will always have shady sellers. Anytime a movie comes out with a breed of dog being the star you will have a sudden surge in breeding of that dog. The Dalmatians were popular after the movie came out and then the shelters were flooded about six months later. People found out the dog is high strung and needs lots of attention they were not prepared to give them.

Date: November 07, 2007 09:33PM

Gabydamage,
Exactley what I asked people NOT to do, but thanks for your input.

Hold em...I've owned Chihuahuas for the last 8 yrs and have 4 now. I have every intention of having any surgery that needs to be done, done. It wouldnt matter if the cost was well over $10,000 I would still pay to have whatever needed to be done taken care of for the well being of my puppy. When it comes to my dogs health money is of no object. I would never pass off one of my dogs either because of any genetic defects, if they were high strung or if they were problem dogs, its just not in my nature to do so. When I buy a puppy, that puppy is with me for the duration of they're life, regardless of cost to care for them and raise them.

I have a problem with a breeder that sold me a dog with genetic defects, who provided a A+ health certificate from her Vet and then this has happend. I signed a contract with her about a 1yr health guarantee that she needs to now stand by. In that contract it says nowhere that I have to provide anymore than 2 vet documents, its doesnt say I have to provide proof of her being spayed, and it doesnt say that only a 50% refund will be given. All it basically says is that by having a passing health certificate that it proves the dog to be free of any genetic defects and free of any life threatening diseases and that if any of the above are found within a year a refund will be provided with proof. I signed it and she signed it, now I think she needs to be held accountable for her wrong doings. If she is as good a breeder and a show dog mom as she makes herself out to be and she has been breeding chihuahua's for the past 12 yrs, then she would have had to have known that somewhere down her line there was genetic problems. Maybe she did know and just didnt give a damn and sold the dogs anyway, but then she would be providing false information by sending the dog out with a perfect health certificate and background.

My intentions for my dogs are for family companionship only, never to breed, but I do like to have AKC papers on my dogs, and now I cant get papers on her because of her defects, whereas the breeder sold her to me with AKC registration, so even thats invalid.

So on all serious levels, please only people that can guide me in the right direction need respond, I came here for help, not for sarcasm. I'm not by any means a sue happy person, as a matter of fact I think its all done way too much for really silly stuff, such as materialistic stuff, this is different, it is a living, breathing, feeling animal that is suffering because of a breeders greed on making money and for that, she needs to be stopped and pay the consequences of her selfish actions.

So once again, any help would be nice...

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: November 07, 2007 09:45PM

I am sorry this happened to you but it is even worse for your sweet puppy, Angel. They just did a special on backyard breeders on TV news. Maybe you could find out what animal groups or humane societies recommend in a case like this. My friends bought a pug from a backyard breeder and they had tons of medical issues with this dog. Can you contact the Better Business Bureau or find out if any web sites deal with animal type laws.

I really want a chihauhau myself and now you are making me scared. I will probably look for a rescued one or find one that needs a home.
Anyway, I wish I had more info for you but I really don't. There really is nothing to stop people from trying to make money by breeding animals for sale. Sadly, what happened to your dog if often the outcome.

Good luck.

Trickie

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 07, 2007 10:06PM

I don't blame you for being mad and it sounds like you got hold of a puppy mill operation. The point I am making is the hip exam is no gurantee there will not be a future problem. Too many dogs are inbread which causes the problems. You have to really put in a lot of time and effort to get a decent breeder.
Raising a dog from a puppy is alot of work and most families today won't even put effort into raising their kids much less a dog. That is why the shelters are always full. People see a fun dog in a movie or tv commercial and just go out and buy them. After the fad is out then the shelters are stuck with large numbers of dogs and not enough homes to get them into.

I wish you luck.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 07, 2007 10:24PM

I agree with Tricki...there isn't much one person to do stop awful people like this. Especially with the distance involved.

A lawsuit would be very expensive and probably futile. Money better spent on getting Angel well.

The only thing that stops people like this is the loss of their customers...maybe you could put her on Angie's List....or maybe Chihuahua enthusiasts' websites could put up a warning? Or maybe create your own website...I've seen people do that against car dealers, etc. But be careful...maybe consult a lawyer first...to avoid libel/slander issues.

Best of luck to you and Angel...my wife has a 3 yo male Chihuahua. He HATES me, but I still enjoy having him around! LOL

PS: We're through with the AKC! In 1992 we bought an Shih-Tzu puppy and sent in for his AKC registration papers, which we soon received. NINE YEARS later we get a registered letter from AKC saying a "problem" has been detected in his bloodlines and his papers were no longer valid. They refused to provide any details or explanation. They didn't even refund the 5 bucks or whatever it was!

We celebrated his 15th birthday last month and he's still our puppy.

The HECK with the AKC!

Posted by: The Dawg ()
Date: November 07, 2007 10:40PM

I saw this once in a movie,

Toward the end, Yeller develops rabies after being bitten while defending the family from an infected Gray Wolf. To protect his family, Travis tearfully shoots Yeller and in doing so takes a painful first step into manhood.

Depressed from the death of his beloved dog, Travis even turns down the offer of a new puppy from his family. But then his father explains to him the facts about life and death. Travis understands, and then adopts the puppy, starting a brand-new friendship.

I'm not sure what type of gun was used, I think it was a rifle.

Date: November 07, 2007 11:21PM

Tricki and Duh,
Thank you for your response. Tricki, do you happen to remember by any chance what news channel did the report on the breeders? My mom had mentioned this to me after we found all of this out, but she didnt remember what station it was. That might be a start.

Duh,
You have just given me an idea. You said that the AKC notified you yrs later that your dogs line had problems in it so your registration was no longer valid. Which means that since the mom and dad of Angel were registered, then when I sent the letter to them stating the defects that were found, more than likely they will pull the registration on that mom and dad and make it null and void, which them means she can no longer sell puppies from that line with registration rights. Not that it will stop her from breeding them, but it will stop her from charging extra for AKC and CKC registered puppies from that particular line. I wonder also if any of the other buyers registered they're puppies and if so, would the AKC notify them of defects being found? Hmmmm questions to ask. I may just give them a call tomorrow, the AKC that is. One of my chihuahua's cant stand my husband either, but its really funny to come home and see them snuggled up to eachother and as soon as I walk in, all hell breaks loose with snarling teeth and snapping, cause mom's home now.
15Yrs old!!!!!! Wow now thats a good and long life. congrats to your baby's birthday.

Holdem,
I wasnt sure like I said that with a puppy so small how they would find anything out anyway and I know that hip problems dont always show up at first, its like my vet said, problems like this dont normally appear until they are alittle older. I'm just super glad that it was caught early and can be fixed and according to all the surgeons we spoke with, she should lead a very happy and comfortable life after this is done. I gotta tell you though, it breaks my heart to know that they are going to put my little one to sleep and cut on her, she is just so small and it makes me so nervous. Thank you though for your best wishes for her.

The Dawg...
Not sure where your going with your response, but I have no comment.

The two surgeons i've narrowed it down to are Pender Vet. here in Fairoaks and South Paws in Fairfax on Arlington Blvd. Both have critical care staff that work over night, which is something I wanted for her. I didnt want her being put in a cage afterwards and the staff leaving to go home at night and coming back the next day, so 24 hr care was a huge gotta have for me. Have anyone of you dealt with either of these places? South paws said that they would do both knee's at the same time, but my vet said that its not good to do that, that one knee at a time should be done and Pender didnt say, as the Doc only left me a message about how the procedure is done and we missed eachother's calls today. Surprisingly though I thought Pender would be very very expensive and he said that each knee could cost up to 1200.00 if all three procedures had to be done, but less if only one or two had to be done. South Paws is charging $2500-2800 for both knees. The hip surgery doesnt have to be done until she is older, priority right now is her poor little knee's.

Anyway, I think i'll call AKC tomorrow and if I can find out which station did the report on backyard breeders then i'd love to get in touch with them as well. All I would like is for her to own up to her mistake, if thats what you want to call it, and refund the purchase price to help out with the cost of the surgeries. I want nothing more from her. I just feel that she should be held accountable for some of this and honestly I cant even believe she even suggested returning her for a full refund, I cant imagine every doing such a thing.

If I had my way, I would have land and provide a no kill shelter/rescue, because like you said Holdem, there are way too many people that buy for the novelty and months later decide the novelty has worn off. Hmmmm kinda like Brittney Spears does. Buys a puppy once a month to get her name in the tabloids, then you never see them again. Sad.

Date: November 08, 2007 12:19AM

Chihauhua mom,

I can't remember what channel it was on. You could google backyard breeders Virginia because they did say more were in Va. than any other state. Or go to a dog show and ask the chihauhau owners. Or get on some kind of a dog forum.

I have dealt with Pender in an emergency situation with a dying ferret I had as a pet. (Rest in peace, Baby the ferret) They were very good at diagnosing and then the care prior to me deciding to euthanize my pet. They were expensive because few vets deal with exotics. South Paws also is excellent and they will monitor your dog while she recovers day and night. You also can call and visit I think 24 hours while your pet is there. I had a very sick kitty twice who needed multiple blood transfusions. They took excellent care of him and ten years later, he is next to me right now snoring!!!! Again, they ae expensive but those vets are up to date and they know their stuff. Again, it's expensive.

I wish you luck and also I hope Angel the adorable chihauhau has a long and healthy life. I am so jealous. I want a chihauhau really bad eer since I petted one in Puerto Vallarta. He even had a necklace on!!!! I would name mine Mr. Pixie.

Hugs,

Trickie

Date: November 08, 2007 12:21AM

PS. I forgot something. If I could adopt Britney Spears chihauhau Bit Bit, I would. No one has seen that dog for years now. She now carries another dog around called London. Ugh! I hate her.

Trickie

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: November 08, 2007 01:50AM

Next time you want to get a dog, get a real one. Everybody knows that Beagles
are far superior to Chihuahua's. Those arent real "dogs" anyway. They're rats
that bark.

Date: November 08, 2007 03:34AM

Snoopy....
ALL breeds of dogs are wonderful and superior, too bad you have a tiny heart and are not willing to accept others. Thanks for your comments though.

Tricki,
Thanks so much for the info on both places, that makes me feel much better. Its always helpful to hear others experiences with places, good and bad, this was someone can make a concious decision on if they're baby is going to be well taken care of. So thank you, much appreciated.

Posted by: PHO cook ()
Date: November 08, 2007 09:22AM

I suggest you use the animal (Angel) to make PHO. See my eariler post.

Posted by: chihuahuadad ()
Date: November 08, 2007 10:20AM

I'm just like you. NOTHING is too good for my "shoo-key" and "tinkers" they are brown and black Apple head Chihuahuas. I have spent well over $45,000 for vet and their personal trainer since my wife passed. I could have given it to my grandchildren but I get more love and comfort from my other "children "shoo-key and tinkers".
My family is up set I spend so much on the dogs ( my kids live month to month)
I know they are just jealous of the bond I have and will always have for my four legged children.

Posted by: bleh ()
Date: November 08, 2007 11:36AM

backyard breeders are a pain in the fucking ass for other people that live in the neighborhood. I am assuming you do not have a entire acre for yourself to keep thos little pests from yapping 24/7 and keeping everybody in your adjacent awake at all hours

we had a similar one, fuckn annoying and the fuckers use to get out of the fence all the time

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: November 08, 2007 11:49AM

Purebreds sometime end up being in-bred.

Maybe it's me, but I think I would send Angel to the Angels before spending $6K.

Posted by: psublondie ()
Date: November 08, 2007 12:09PM

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through with your pup. We are going through a similar situation with our Boston Terrier. She has a Grade 3 LP and requires surgery. Could I ask if you have a recommendation for an ortho specialist to perform the surgery in the area? Thanks.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: November 08, 2007 12:18PM

Is there pet insurance?

Date: November 08, 2007 12:58PM

Just in time for the holidays....

http://app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/vpid/1227726

Date: November 08, 2007 03:14PM

Kiev,
Yes there is Pet insurance and my job just started offering it, although its alittle late for me to get that now as they would view this as a pre-existing condition. I do however plan on investing in it though for future problems. I have 4 of them and i'm sure at some point i'll need many more vet visits along the way.

Psublondie,
The two placed i've narrrowed it down to are Pender vet here in Fairoaks and South Paws in Fairfax. They have an office full of speciality vets and have critical care staff over nights, so basically 24 hr care. The dogs are never left alone.

Chihuahuadad,
I know what you mean, I get so much love and affection from all of mine and its completely unconditional. If i'm having a rough day, they know exactley what to do to bring a smile and a laugh out of me. They truly are very special.

Fairfax MF'r
Would you send one of your kids to the angels before spending 6K on them? I hope for all animals sake you dont own any.

Bleh,
If I had a neighbor like you, i'd let mine yap all night too, just to piss you off. :)

Posted by: Andrea ()
Date: November 08, 2007 03:17PM

I do pet-sitting and dog-walking, and one of my client's dogs (also a Chihuahua) who had a slipping patella or whatever. He is 9 years old.

For him, it doesnt cause that much of a problem. What he does is lift his leg but continue walking along or whatever else he was doing.

As for the crazy breeder woman, I have no idea, sorry!

Just wanted to throw it in there that I have seen the patella thing in a Chihuahua too, but he doesnt have the hip problems you described.

Hope you are able to work something out!

Date: November 08, 2007 03:38PM

chihuahuamom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Fairfax MF'r
> Would you send one of your kids to the angels
> before spending 6K on them? I hope for all
> animals sake you dont own any.
>

Dogs aren't people.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: November 08, 2007 03:59PM

Maybe we should take the dog to a doggy psychiatrist and see if it has any ideas on how to solve this situation.

Date: November 08, 2007 03:59PM

Fairfax Mf'r

No your right, but they do bleed red just like us, feel pain, have emotions, express fear and joy, they have a heart, a brain, liver, kidneys, intestines, they have everything we do, they just have two extra legs and lots of extra hair. It is a living creature, just as a human is. So in my eyes we are no different and i'm sorry you dont see it that way.

Date: November 08, 2007 04:08PM

lots of extra hair is debatable :)

Posted by: Jebus ()
Date: November 08, 2007 04:11PM

chihuahuamom Wrote:
> Fairfax Mf'r
>
> No your right, but they do bleed red just like us,
> feel pain, have emotions, express fear and joy,
> they have a heart, a brain, liver, kidneys,
> intestines, they have everything we do, they just
> have two extra legs and lots of extra hair. It is
> a living creature, just as a human is. So in my
> eyes we are no different and i'm sorry you dont
> see it that way.

Does it have a soul? Cows have all the things you mentioned, and they taste good. I suppose, however, that some people might fing you pooch tasty too.

Posted by: gabydamage ()
Date: November 08, 2007 06:17PM

Blah, blah, blah.....

Posted by: SUM DUMB PHUCK ()
Date: November 08, 2007 06:22PM

BACK WHEN I WAS IN NAM PART OF MY RESPONSIBILITIES WAS TO SHOOT STRAY DOGS THAT WANDERED ONTO THE RUNWAYS.( THE VC WOULD STRAP SATCHEL CHARGES ON THEM AND THEN DETONATE THEM WHEN THE DOG GOT NEAR A GROUP OF GRUNTS OR AN AIRCRAFT) MY HOOTCH BROTHERS AND I WOULD SELL THEM TO THE IP'S FOR BEER MONEY.

THE IP'S WOULD SKIN EM OUT AND THEN COOK EM UP ON A STICK YUM YUM. CHIHUAHUAS WOULD MAKE A GREAT APPETIZER.

ITS A FREAKING DOG FOR PETES SAKE!!! CUT YOUR LOSSES, TAKE ANGEL TO THE NEAREST PHO RESTAURANT AND YOU CAN MAYBE BREAK EVEN
Attachments:
hotdog_stick.jpg

Date: November 08, 2007 07:36PM

SDP,
Your ID fits you very well. I'm well aware that other Countries as well as i'm sure some local diners use dogs for dinner or lunch. I'm just not into eating my pets. There are alot of people that were raised on farms and refuse to eat cows or pigs because they look at them as pets. Everyone has they're own tastes.

Cut my losses? No dont think, so I will happily pay the required amount to make sure she lives a healthy and painfree life.

You on the other hand, if I knew who you were, and saw you laying in the street after being hit be a truck and you were choking on your own blood begging for someone to save you, i'd probably just spit on you and walk away. I have more respect for my dogs than I do a human who thinks so very little of life albeit a different species.

Posted by: chihuahuadad ()
Date: November 09, 2007 09:28AM

Update on Spoo-key and Tinkers

My vet just informed me they both need lasix eye surgery, the cost will be about $4,999 each. Is it a fair price? Also the vet said it would be a good idea to get complete MRI's "just to know their healthy" the cost for this procedure will be $2,899 for both. "he said he would do two for one" Do most vet's have MRI machines in their office? Are their any side affects? I guess I should have bought pet insurance! O well it only money....

chihuahuadad

Posted by: People Person ()
Date: November 09, 2007 09:43AM

If you're a responsible adult and have a normal social life then I don't have a problem with you treating your dog like a person. I do have a problem with people who treat everybody else around them like shit, but they'll spend thousands of dollars and time on their dog. That's a little strange.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: November 09, 2007 10:45AM

Just was watching Channel 4 news. I think they had the special on backyard breeders. Go to their web site for more info.

Trickie

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: November 09, 2007 11:29AM

Click on the link below!

http://www.hsus.org/

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 09, 2007 12:54PM

Dogs and Puppies Arriving in Fairfax County

The Fairfax County Animal Services Division responded to a request by the Humane Society of the United States, to assist in the rescue of animals from a “puppy mill” in Carroll County, Virginia. On Thursday, November 8, four animal control officers and a shelter representative loaded the Major Incident Response Unit and one animal control vehicle and traveled to Carroll County. They will pick up approximately 30 dogs that were surrendered by the owner and bring them to the Washington metropolitan area. The animals will be cared for by personnel from the Fairfax County Animal Shelter, the Animal Welfare Leagues of Arlington and Alexandria, and the Washington Humane Society.

At this time, the condition of the dogs is unknown. All will be given a basic health exam before travel and a rabies vaccination if they are old enough. Citizens interested in adopting one of these animals should be aware that there may be additional expenses for any un-detected medical issues.

The dogs will not be available for adoption or viewing until some time next week. Potential adopters are asked not to call or visit the shelter. Adoption information will be posted on the county web site. The anticipated arrival time of the dogs is approximately 5:00 p.m. today, however, that is subject to change.

The Major Incident Response Unit was obtained through funding, to assist the Animal Services Division in responding to large-scale animal hoarding/disaster situations. This is the first time the unit has been used outside Fairfax County. There are veterinary facilities on board which allow the caregivers to provide basic medical attention to the animals during their journey.

Further information is available on the home page of the Fairfax County web site at www.fairfaxcounty.gov

Posted by: PHO cook ()
Date: November 09, 2007 02:10PM

I guess the price of PHO will be going down.

Date: November 09, 2007 02:13PM

and moo shoo pork as well.

Date: November 09, 2007 04:22PM

Tia2,

Thank you SOOOOO much. OMG, I'm absolutley appalled at the videos I just watched from Virginia breeders. It literally just made me sick to my stomach. I must live in my own world cause I had no idea this was going on in my own State let along counties just outside of my own. That is just so inhumane, sick, demented and I really hope that this gets under control. Those poor babies, all of them.

Tricki,
thank you I will certainley check into it and see if I can locate any information from there.

Lurker,
do you mind me asking where you got the report from. I didnt know anything about this either.

Chihuahuadad,
Where do you take your dogs? I would check into South Paws and Pender vet. The south paws website is www.Southpaws.com and i'm not sure what pender's is. Never rush into the first surgeon, always shop around first. Which is what i'm doing now. I want the best for my little one regardless of price, so i'm doing my research before I made the actually surgical appt.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: November 10, 2007 09:14AM

chihuahuamom Wrote:
> Chihuahuadad,
> Where do you take your dogs? I would check into
> South Paws and Pender vet. The south paws website
> is www.Southpaws.com and i'm not sure what
> pender's is. Never rush into the first surgeon,
> always shop around first. Which is what i'm doing
> now. I want the best for my little one regardless
> of price, so i'm doing my research before I made
> the actually surgical appt.

I can quite honestly say that I'm astonished.

Date: November 10, 2007 03:42PM

Ben,
And why would that be?

Posted by: ben ()
Date: November 11, 2007 12:14AM

chihuahuamom Wrote:
> Ben,
> And why would that be?

Why am I astonished that you took that harsh joke aimed at you seriously? Because it's astonishing. LASIK for dogs? Seriously? Are you that dense?

Date: November 11, 2007 01:30AM

Ben,
There is an opthomologist at South Paws as well as Pender that do them, whether it was a joke or not, who cares

Reputable breeders
Posted by: Concerned breeder ()
Date: November 11, 2007 08:39AM

When you purchase a dog it is indeed, buyer beware.

It is the buyer's responsibility to ask for credentials as proof, do not accept the breeder's word for anything!

Breeding dogs should be tested for several things prior to being bred and they vary by breed. At a bare minimum: hips, elbows, patellas. Eye CERF exam, thyroid levels including TGAA testing. CArdiac clearance, and normal health check.

Just because a vet gave your pup a well-health check does not mean there are not underlying problems....like the patellas. These problems are thought to be a recessive trait, and can happen even in tested dogs...but the breeder should be using the information to improve her program.

Buyer beware: Did your breeder give you a health warranty to cover genetic problems like the patellas? Testing by the additional vets should be at her expense and even reputable, excellent breeders will reimburse medical bills only up to the cost of the dog or offer replacement.

Check pedigrees to document there is no line or inbreeding.

I am sorry that this happened to an innocent victim like you...but it happens all the time!

Date: November 11, 2007 05:40PM

Concerned breeder,
Thank you for your reply. Yes the breeder offered a 1yr genetic guarantee on her against hips, patellas, heart anything of a major factor, however she is refusing to reimburse for the additional vet visits that she is requiring. She is actually wanting a total of 4 reports plus xrays and proof of spay before she will consider a 50% refund of the purchase price only, which is $300.00. I paid $900.00 for her with shipping. I did do my homework and checked her background, but obviously not good enough.

I did find something very interesting last night though as I was going through all the papers that came with her and that is that, all the handwriting is the exact same as the breeders handwriting on the MO. Dept of Agriculture health certificate, the vaccination records, the pedigree and the AKC registration. The signature of the so called vet that signed the Dept of Agriculture paper is the same as her signature. So now I believe that these are all forged papers.

I've contacted the MO. Dept of Agriculture, the AKC and the BBB and a couple other places. I also contacted puppyfind.com which is where she is still selling puppies, although they wont do anything. She is operating two websites now, the one that I bought under and now a new one that has a different name. I've googled her name as well as both websites and havent found anything other than regular information. She is not on the USDA licensed list.

I'm not even close to being done with her yet. I hope to get some resolution out of this at some point.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 11, 2007 08:51PM

chihuahuamom Wrote:

>
> I've contacted the MO. Dept of Agriculture, the
> AKC and the BBB and a couple other places. I also
> contacted puppyfind.com which is where she is
> still selling puppies, although they wont do
> anything. She is operating two websites now, the
> one that I bought under and now a new one that has
> a different name. I've googled her name as well
> as both websites and havent found anything other
> than regular information. She is not on the USDA
> licensed list.
>

Shouldn't you have done this before you bought the dog from her?

I'm no lawyer, but I think you will be lucky to get the purchase price out of this woman, if that.

Date: November 12, 2007 12:48AM

Washington....
Yes as I stated in my very first post, I said "I did everything I was suppose to do, such as check her references, her AKC membership, her local counties registration records for breeders, the BBB"

Since there were no reports against her at the BBB and her references checked out and the AKC has her registered I figured I was in the clear. the reason I am contacting these places again is now to file complaints, first was to check her background, now its to file complaints against her. so in answer to your question... yes I checked her out, but she is obviously falling through the cracks and getting away with alot, if anything had come back negative about her in the first place, i would have never bought from her.

Posted by: ladymacb29 ()
Date: November 18, 2007 12:55AM

...this is why when buying from a breeder you should ask to see at least the mother and not buy dogs over the phone/internet.

Posted by: Bren ()
Date: November 21, 2007 12:33PM

You know this is why we ask that people adopt from rescue rather then put money in the pockets of breeders like this. Most will lie to you and the bottom line is always money! My corporate attorney has always told me to follow the money if you want the truth. This breeder knows darn well you are not going to spend 500.00 just to get 300.00 back. They put you through Hell on purpose so they can keep your money and be absolved of any responsibility. PLEASE people understand with MOST BYB's once the money is in their hands they don't give a crap about the dog any more. Dogs should only be purchased from breeders who are actively showing their dogs and have proven CH lines and sound genetics. This is not your fault as you thought you did the right thing. But... now that you know please keep doing what your doing and let all know not to patronize these puppy brokers.
As to all the nasty people making negative comments on here?? Well, who cares about you my dog's shit is higher on the food chain than you!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.