HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: November 07, 2007 12:56PM

Any place local serve Chicago hot dogs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Lycopene Addict ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:01PM

Rowsdower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any place local serve Chicago hot dogs?

NO! KETCHUP RULES!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:19PM

Mustard and relish are all you really need on a hotdog. Ketchup? keep it off the dogs and on the Hamburgers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:29PM

Any place local serve Chicago hot dogs?

There used to be a place out in, of all places, Front Royal that served them Chicago-style. That was years ago though and I don't know if it's still there.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be willing to drive over an hour to get hot dogs but I figured I'd mention it-- it's the only place I've ever seen anywhere in VA/DC/MD that served them that way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Meade ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:44PM

Ewwww! I really don't understand people and hot dogs. They're gross. Give me BBQ or hamburger yeah, but hot dogs are disgusting !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:53PM

its no Wiener circle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: November 07, 2007 03:24PM

Hebrew National and Nathan's (Costco/Fairfax Corner 14: Cinema De Lux)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: November 07, 2007 04:53PM

Meade, you'll suck a dick for a dollar but you won't eat a hotdog?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 07, 2007 06:13PM

Is Franknsteins still around? They did have cold beer to go with the dogs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 07, 2007 06:20PM

Is Franknsteins still around?

The Tysons location closed down about a year ago. I never ate there, but I don't think they had chicago-style hot dogs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 07, 2007 07:19PM

Go to a Nats game. Large franks with all the toppings. Suaseges wieners piled high with onions peppers condiments etc etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 07, 2007 07:27PM

Go to a Nats game. Large franks with all the toppings. Suaseges wieners piled high with onions peppers condiments

And it's all yours, for only $7.50!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: huh? ()
Date: November 08, 2007 01:50AM

what makes a hotdog chicago style?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 08, 2007 06:07AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: RATZ'AZZ ()
Date: November 08, 2007 07:39AM

Hot dogs are nasty, the ground up azzs of pigs or cows BARF. All you carpetbaggers out there, learn to eat Southern Fried Chicken or get on the next bus north(see 1st pic, stay - see 2nd pic)
Attachments:
yankeegohome.bmp
last-rites.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: your insane to eat one ()
Date: November 09, 2007 09:53PM

Every summer, Americans suckers scarf down more than 5 billion hot dogs - enough wieners to circle the Earth about 15 times. Good news for meat marketers, no doubt, who have declared July "Hot Dog Month" to encourage mass consumption of processed pig parts. But really, if you toss one on the grill, what are you thinking?
Every third-grade boy knows what nasty things lurk in hot dogs - from ears to eyelids - and delights in sharing this information with his more squeamish friends. In Hog Farm magazine, a U.S. Department of Agriculture official confirmed that "hot dogs contain skeletal muscles, along with parts of pork stomach, snout, intestines, spleens, edible fat, and yes, lips." Don't forget the preservatives, to keep it all "fresh."

It's not just swine snouts you have to watch out for. When the Wall Street Journal filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the USDA to obtain consumer complaints of "foreign-object contamination" in hot dogs, they found several unsavory surprises, including a three-inch rubber band, something described as a "greenish blue glob," pieces of glass and even screws, and other metal objects (this, despite the fact that hot-dog makers put their products through metal detectors to catch stray machine parts).

Of course, an errant widget in your wiener probably won't make you sick. But Listeria, a potentially deadly bug that frequently contaminates franks, might. Listeria can cause everything from flu-like symptoms to meningitis and blood infections. Eighty-eight percent of people who are seriously infected with listeria end up in the hospital, and 25 percent die. Add in the fat - regular hot dogs derive 70 percent to 90 percent of their calories from fat, most of it saturated - sodium and cholesterol, and it becomes clear that hot dogs are a health hazard. (Even poultry "pups" are hardly health food. Chicken and turkey franks contain as much or more cholesterol - up to 50 milligrams - as beef and pork hot dogs, and if they're made from dark meat and skin, where most of the fat is found, they're not exactly "lite.")

For many consumers, though, the worst part about wieners is the animal cruelty contained in every single bite. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals recently sent an undercover investigator to a hog farm in the Midwest, and if you eat meat, what we found should make you rethink your lunch.

A thousand pigs were crammed inside each of 28 huge barns. They live 24 hours a day on slatted floors above piles of their own waste. The ammonia rising from this is so toxic that the pigs' eyes are permanently ringed with black from dried tears.

Some pigs suffer leg injuries from constantly standing on the hard concrete floors. PETA's videotaped documentation shows pigs with abscessed joints swollen three times their normal size. One pig hobbled on a skeletal leg from which the flesh and muscle had been eaten by other pigs. Those who can't walk lie pitifully on the floor, their deformed legs splayed and useless.

We also documented live pigs thrown into dumpsters with dead ones; workers smashing pigs' heads against the floor to kill them, and the farm manager beating pigs to death with metal gate rods and hammers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Mom of 2 ()
Date: November 09, 2007 09:54PM

I have yet to find anywhere that serves hot dogs, let alone Chicago style - which are absolutely the best! Are you from Chicago? Or just liking those hot dogs from there? I am from the NW suburbs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 09, 2007 10:30PM

>Chicago style - which are absolutely the best! Are you from Chicago? Or just liking those hot dogs from there?

I rarely eat hot dogs, and usually like them with just mustard and onions. But I've had them chicago-style (in Detroit actually), and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely different, I like it. I think it would be cool if more regional cuisines were present in the DC area. We certainly have alot of other cuisines, why not Chicago dogs? :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: ben ()
Date: November 09, 2007 10:37PM

your insane to eat one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In Hog Farm magazine, a U.S.
> Department of Agriculture official confirmed that
> "hot dogs contain skeletal muscles, along with
> parts of pork stomach, snout, intestines, spleens,
> edible fat, and yes, lips." Don't forget the
> preservatives, to keep it all "fresh."
>

"Meat, in its broadest definition, is animal tissue used as food. Most often it refers to skeletal muscle and associated fat."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat

You know what else is "skeletal muscles and edible fat"? Anything called "beef, pork, or chicken."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 10, 2007 08:21PM

Been living here for 14 years. there is no place that I know of that sells Chicago dogs. However, you can mail order them through Portillo's based in Chicago. The Italian Beef kit is fantastic. I haven't ordered the dog kit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: November 19, 2008 10:43PM

(sigh), any update on this.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 10:43PM by Rowsdower.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: paddy ()
Date: November 20, 2008 12:29AM

nope no hot dog places like that. this is northern va ya know.. a cultural dead zone. the best hotdog you may find is at a baseball stadium or something like that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: November 20, 2008 04:36AM

Rowsdower Wrote:
> Any place local serve Chicago hot dogs?

I doubt it - hard to find outside of Chicago.

I just make them myself. The secret is celery salt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: notscared ()
Date: November 20, 2008 06:28AM

No big deal. In fact, I'm glad to see we're using all of the animals we slaughter. The issue, for me, with hotdogs are the preservatives they put in it that are linked with cancer.

your insane to eat one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every summer, Americans suckers scarf down more
> than 5 billion hot dogs - enough wieners to circle
> the Earth about 15 times. Good news for meat
> marketers, no doubt, who have declared July "Hot
> Dog Month" to encourage mass consumption of
> processed pig parts. But really, if you toss one
> on the grill, what are you thinking?
> Every third-grade boy knows what nasty things lurk
> in hot dogs - from ears to eyelids - and delights
> in sharing this information with his more
> squeamish friends. In Hog Farm magazine, a U.S.
> Department of Agriculture official confirmed that
> "hot dogs contain skeletal muscles, along with
> parts of pork stomach, snout, intestines, spleens,
> edible fat, and yes, lips." Don't forget the
> preservatives, to keep it all "fresh."
>
> It's not just swine snouts you have to watch out
> for. When the Wall Street Journal filed a Freedom
> of Information Act request with the USDA to obtain
> consumer complaints of "foreign-object
> contamination" in hot dogs, they found several
> unsavory surprises, including a three-inch rubber
> band, something described as a "greenish blue
> glob," pieces of glass and even screws, and other
> metal objects (this, despite the fact that hot-dog
> makers put their products through metal detectors
> to catch stray machine parts).
>
> Of course, an errant widget in your wiener
> probably won't make you sick. But Listeria, a
> potentially deadly bug that frequently
> contaminates franks, might. Listeria can cause
> everything from flu-like symptoms to meningitis
> and blood infections. Eighty-eight percent of
> people who are seriously infected with listeria
> end up in the hospital, and 25 percent die. Add in
> the fat - regular hot dogs derive 70 percent to 90
> percent of their calories from fat, most of it
> saturated - sodium and cholesterol, and it becomes
> clear that hot dogs are a health hazard. (Even
> poultry "pups" are hardly health food. Chicken and
> turkey franks contain as much or more cholesterol
> - up to 50 milligrams - as beef and pork hot dogs,
> and if they're made from dark meat and skin, where
> most of the fat is found, they're not exactly
> "lite.")
>
> For many consumers, though, the worst part about
> wieners is the animal cruelty contained in every
> single bite. People for the Ethical Treatment of
> Animals recently sent an undercover investigator
> to a hog farm in the Midwest, and if you eat meat,
> what we found should make you rethink your lunch.
>
>
> A thousand pigs were crammed inside each of 28
> huge barns. They live 24 hours a day on slatted
> floors above piles of their own waste. The ammonia
> rising from this is so toxic that the pigs' eyes
> are permanently ringed with black from dried
> tears.
>
> Some pigs suffer leg injuries from constantly
> standing on the hard concrete floors. PETA's
> videotaped documentation shows pigs with abscessed
> joints swollen three times their normal size. One
> pig hobbled on a skeletal leg from which the flesh
> and muscle had been eaten by other pigs. Those who
> can't walk lie pitifully on the floor, their
> deformed legs splayed and useless.
>
> We also documented live pigs thrown into dumpsters
> with dead ones; workers smashing pigs' heads
> against the floor to kill them, and the farm
> manager beating pigs to death with metal gate rods
> and hammers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: jhey ()
Date: November 20, 2008 09:10AM

huh? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what makes a hotdog chicago style?

[ yellow5.com ]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: JoetheDog ()
Date: November 20, 2008 09:30AM

There used to be a hot dog shop in Herndon--Joe's Dogs. They had pretty good hot dogs, but even they never had the Chicago Hot Dog on the menu. That was a bummer. Joe's Dogs was fun, wish it didn't close. But I am sure it was not a money maker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Date: November 20, 2008 10:17AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Franknsteins still around?
>
> The Tysons location closed down about a year ago.
> I never ate there, but I don't think they had
> chicago-style hot dogs.


They did, but they were kind of a bastardized version.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Chitown ()
Date: December 08, 2008 12:58AM

Windy City Red Hots! www.windycityredhots.com If you all are willing to drive up to Ashburn, VA. Serving authentic Chicago-style dogs (all the way to the green relish), Italian Beef and Pizza Puffs. We'd love to see you guys there. We're located inside Blue Mount Nursery 19413 Smith Circle, Ashburn, VA 20147.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: redhots ()
Date: December 08, 2008 03:19PM

A&W Hot Dog or Frenkensteins is pretty close. You can find one or the other at any local shopping mall. I always stop at Frankensteins cause i have a perpetual craving for Hot Dogs (grew up in Chicago, and parents owned 2 delis)

Frankenstiens will deep fry a kielbasa for your dog if you miss the snap of a true red hot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Lawman ()
Date: December 08, 2008 10:39PM

redhots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A&W Hot Dog or Frenkensteins is pretty close. You
> can find one or the other at any local shopping
> mall. I always stop at Frankensteins cause i have
> a perpetual craving for Hot Dogs (grew up in
> Chicago, and parents owned 2 delis)
>
> Frankenstiens will deep fry a kielbasa for your
> dog if you miss the snap of a true red hot.

There's a Frankenstein in Potomac Mills. Only one left that I'm aware of. There used to be an A&W at Springfield mall - don't know if it still is.

Does anyone know of anywhere to get a good hot dog around here though?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 09, 2008 02:11AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Expensive Jeans ()
Date: December 09, 2008 09:49AM

Dudes, there is a Frankensteins at Dulles Town Center Mall, in the food court.

There are also a lot of MILFs at that mall imo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: yoji ()
Date: December 09, 2008 10:08AM

Does anyone remember ollies trolly? There used to be one in northern va near wilson blvd I beleive...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 10:11AM

" Frankenstiens will deep fry a kielbasa for your
dog if you miss the snap of a true red hot."

Wow, a double whammy to the heart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: WeinerCircle ()
Date: December 09, 2008 11:15AM

Weiner Circle in Herndon... Check out HerndonCuisine.com for details.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: j ()
Date: December 09, 2008 02:36PM

m'dawg in adams morgan is supposed to serve wieners of many regions, including a proper chicago red hot.

M’Dawg is open from noon to midnight Sunday and Monday, until 2:30 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, and until 4 a.m. on the weekend.

M'Dawg Haute Dogs
2418 18th Street, NW
202 328-8284

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: JR ()
Date: December 10, 2008 08:18AM

M’Dawg = RIP OFF. Don't waste your money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Concerned parent ()
Date: December 10, 2008 01:06PM

HOT DIGGETY DOG! I just realized this Forum is powered by Phorum. Does this mean everything is in Latin?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: j ()
Date: December 11, 2008 11:36AM

it seems to be gone anyway. good riddance i suppose.

JR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> M’Dawg = RIP OFF. Don't waste your money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Former Chicagoan ()
Date: December 11, 2008 01:05PM

Been here nearly 8 years and haven't found one yet.

We have, however, had Portillo's ship out here. Sure, it's more expensive than your normal dog, but you get:

Real Vienna Beef hotdogs
S Rosens Poppy seed buns
All the fresh fixins

shipped right to your door...

http://www.portillos.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=25

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: sarsi ()
Date: December 11, 2008 10:53PM

I've been to Windy City Red Hots in Ashburn. We've been here about 10 years and this place just opened up last Fall. Awesome place, just like chicago. Vienna Beef hot dogs, deep fried polish, Italian, beef and some other real chicago faves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Former Chicagoan ()
Date: December 15, 2008 01:28PM

Tried Windy City Red Hots over the weekend - it's definitely the real deal

Check them out and keep him in business...

http://windycityredhots.com

So long having to order from Portillos - Windy City will cater and even let you buy in more bulk for take home orders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: j ()
Date: December 15, 2008 02:03PM

i think people get the idea. stop spamming up the boards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Johnny ()
Date: December 15, 2008 03:30PM

Clare and Don's Beach Shack in Falls Church are the closest. The homemade chili and onions top them off perfect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: December 15, 2008 04:39PM

your insane to eat one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every summer, Americans suckers scarf down more
> than 5 billion hot dogs - enough wieners to circle
> the Earth about 15 times. Good news for meat
> marketers, no doubt, who have declared July "Hot
> Dog Month" to encourage mass consumption of
> processed pig parts. But really, if you toss one
> on the grill, what are you thinking?
> Every third-grade boy knows what nasty things lurk
> in hot dogs - from ears to eyelids - and delights
> in sharing this information with his more
> squeamish friends. In Hog Farm magazine, a U.S.
> Department of Agriculture official confirmed that
> "hot dogs contain skeletal muscles, along with
> parts of pork stomach, snout, intestines, spleens,
> edible fat, and yes, lips." Don't forget the
> preservatives, to keep it all "fresh."
>
> It's not just swine snouts you have to watch out
> for. When the Wall Street Journal filed a Freedom
> of Information Act request with the USDA to obtain
> consumer complaints of "foreign-object
> contamination" in hot dogs, they found several
> unsavory surprises, including a three-inch rubber
> band, something described as a "greenish blue
> glob," pieces of glass and even screws, and other
> metal objects (this, despite the fact that hot-dog
> makers put their products through metal detectors
> to catch stray machine parts).
>
> Of course, an errant widget in your wiener
> probably won't make you sick. But Listeria, a
> potentially deadly bug that frequently
> contaminates franks, might. Listeria can cause
> everything from flu-like symptoms to meningitis
> and blood infections. Eighty-eight percent of
> people who are seriously infected with listeria
> end up in the hospital, and 25 percent die. Add in
> the fat - regular hot dogs derive 70 percent to 90
> percent of their calories from fat, most of it
> saturated - sodium and cholesterol, and it becomes
> clear that hot dogs are a health hazard. (Even
> poultry "pups" are hardly health food. Chicken and
> turkey franks contain as much or more cholesterol
> - up to 50 milligrams - as beef and pork hot dogs,
> and if they're made from dark meat and skin, where
> most of the fat is found, they're not exactly
> "lite.")
>
> For many consumers, though, the worst part about
> wieners is the animal cruelty contained in every
> single bite. People for the Ethical Treatment of
> Animals recently sent an undercover investigator
> to a hog farm in the Midwest, and if you eat meat,
> what we found should make you rethink your lunch.
>
>
> A thousand pigs were crammed inside each of 28
> huge barns. They live 24 hours a day on slatted
> floors above piles of their own waste. The ammonia
> rising from this is so toxic that the pigs' eyes
> are permanently ringed with black from dried
> tears.
>
> Some pigs suffer leg injuries from constantly
> standing on the hard concrete floors. PETA's
> videotaped documentation shows pigs with abscessed
> joints swollen three times their normal size. One
> pig hobbled on a skeletal leg from which the flesh
> and muscle had been eaten by other pigs. Those who
> can't walk lie pitifully on the floor, their
> deformed legs splayed and useless.
>
> We also documented live pigs thrown into dumpsters
> with dead ones; workers smashing pigs' heads
> against the floor to kill them, and the farm
> manager beating pigs to death with metal gate rods
> and hammers.

bite it hippy
Attachments:
for every animal.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: December 17, 2008 03:48PM

Johnny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clare and Don's Beach Shack in Falls Church are
> the closest. The homemade chili and onions top
> them off perfect.

That sounds delicious, but a classic Chicago hot
dog is a rather specific item, and chili is NOT part of it.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********  **     **  **     **        **   *******  
 **    **   **   **   **     **        **  **     ** 
     **      ** **    **     **        **  **        
    **        ***     **     **        **  ********  
   **        ** **    **     **  **    **  **     ** 
   **       **   **   **     **  **    **  **     ** 
   **      **     **   *******    ******    *******  
This forum powered by Phorum.