HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cox Digital Telephone Service
Posted by: Coxman ()
Date: October 30, 2007 01:54PM

My friend in the digital age, Cox, continues to hammer me weekly with notices on how I can save more than $264 a year over Verizon for cable telephone service. The details are in microscopic print, on the back of the flyer, so I really don't know what they're offering. Has anyone switched to the Cox digital cable telephone service? and how well does it work? is it cost effective?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cox Digital Telephone Service
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: October 30, 2007 02:11PM

I just switched to Cox. All is well so far. Unfortunately FIOS (even though I hate Verizon) is not available in my area yet.

Since I told them I had satellite, they gave me nearly 1/2 off for the first 10 months. So for high speed internet, cable, and telephone with unlimited long distance, I pay $84/month. After 10 months, each service goes up $20 - but then maybe FIOS will be here. Good thing about Cox, no long term commitment.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 30, 2007 02:17PM

I have Comcast digital and it works great. Free long distance any where in the US and Canada talk as long as I want plus several other features, three way conferences, call blocking, internet voice mail.

Just $6 dollars more on my cable bill a month since I got triple play and a one time $33 dollar phone # switch over charge. So I save $26 dollars a month + plus old long distance charges. I figure I'll save about $400 a year over Verizon.

I don't notice any difference in the sound quality, never had any echos or cut outs etc... The system has an 14 hour battery backup in case the power goes out. If worst come to worst I can pick up my cell.

I would say go for it.

Technician came out hooked a box up to the cable line then plugged one phone line into an open phone jack. He then disconnected the main Verizon line outside, called some number and authozied the box, that was it for install.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2007 02:23PM by Lurker..

Posted by: KayKay ()
Date: October 31, 2007 07:11AM

I have Cox phone service and I pay $56.00 give or take a few bucks....Flat rate no matter where I call in the US and a butt load of other features like call forwarding, caller ID, voice mail etc.....

I cannot tell any difference in the quality either.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 31, 2007 08:42AM

Radiophile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> unlimited long distance, I pay $84/month. After 10
> months, each service goes up $20 - but then maybe
> FIOS will be here. Good thing about Cox, no long
> term commitment.

WTF? What flavor of cable do you have? I pay $104 (before taxes) for just cable and internet. I have regular internet but I have a digital (HD) box with the expanded 'digital gateway' tier. No HBO or any pay channels. Sounds like I'm getting screwed if you're getting cable, internet and telephone for $104 (when the price goes up). Is the phone service like $5?

Posted by: Wrinkle ()
Date: October 31, 2007 01:07PM

trogdor! Wrote:

> WTF? What flavor of cable do you have? I pay $104
> (before taxes) for just cable and internet. I
> have regular internet but I have a digital (HD)
> box with the expanded 'digital gateway' tier. No
> HBO or any pay channels. Sounds like I'm getting
> screwed if you're getting cable, internet and
> telephone for $104 (when the price goes up). Is
> the phone service like $5?

You're not getting screwed -- you're just not taking full advantage. Here's the great thing about Cox (we've been customers for over 4yrs now)... If you call them up and say that Verizon are beating on your door with great offers, Cox WILL beat those Verizon offers EVERY time. We haven't paid full price on our services for most of our 4+yrs with Cox. We have high-speed internet, phone (w/ a bunch of features), expanded cable (+ two tiers, but no HD) and dvr service. We had a $40 bill three months ago and right now it's ~$90 for 3 more months. They constantly have special offers and discounts on the go and are nearly always willing to give any or all of them at once. Sometimes they can get jumpy about it and you have to speak to a supervisor, but that's pretty rare. Normally the regular customer service folks will happily sort you out.

Cox is by no means a flawless company but their customer service is, in my experience, fantastic. Verizon, on the other hand, are pretty much the definition of evil.

Oh, and to stay on-topic with this thread, the Cox digital phone service is absolutely fine. (and cheap!)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.