HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
shoppers food warehouse metrotech drive
Posted by: K1985 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 11:14PM

shoppers is one of the worst stores ever to buy meat and produce...but yet Im devastated to hear it will be closing down in a month...no more quick last minute purchases...I wonder if they will be bought out or we have to travel to giant, harris teeter, or bloom for groceries or quick shops...anyone know

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shoppers food warehouse metrotech drive
Posted by: K1985 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 11:17PM

will be closing in a month...even though there produce and meat sucks..i sure will miss my quick pick ups on items i forgot at my regular store...i wonder have then been bought out...will another grocery store come or will be stuck going to the others for quick stops

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: March 10, 2011 11:22PM

I highly recommend Shoppers at the Clock Tower shopping center.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: March 11, 2011 07:06AM

There's always some shady people up in there staring me down. Good thing I always carry when I go there.

Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: March 11, 2011 07:15AM

Interesting. Where's the nearest grocery store in that area. Bloom down the road and I guess a Giant is a couple of miles away as is a Harris Teeter but those seem like a distance away from the area of the Shoppers Food. That Shoppers has been there quite awhile hasn't it. Didn't Shoppers turn one of their stores to Hispanic on Centreville Road in Manassas park?

Date: March 11, 2011 07:20AM

Great, I was just thinking they'd probably turn it into a f*cking mexican supermarket and attract even more scum to the area.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:11AM

Where will the the 3rd world refugees shop??

Posted by: Comfort Food ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:22AM

OMG!

That Shoppers has the BIGGEST and BEST donuts of them all!

Crud - have to go over near Centreville Square now?

Poop.

[on a related note - the center owners must have raised lease rates - the Korean restaurant ("G"-something) was apparently very busy yet closed shop, too]

Posted by: Les ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:45AM

There are different Shoppers stores. The one at Metrotech is old and small. The one across from Woodson HS is very good. It may be called Shoppers Club to signify a larger store catering to warehouse club-type packaged products. The Herndon Clocktower SFWH is good, but the one at Herndon Junction on Route 7 is another big store.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: March 11, 2011 10:27AM

I'll second the love for the donuts. They're great. Everything else in the store is shit though.

Posted by: donut lover ()
Date: March 11, 2011 10:52AM

I am surprised to hear that the Shoppers is closing. I do not think another ethnic grocery store will replace it as there is a Lotte market right behind Shoppers on Metrotech drive. I wonder if they will be remodeling it and expanding as there are now a few vacant properties on the right hand side of Shoppers.

The economy is hitting retail and grocery stores hard.

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: March 11, 2011 11:03AM

This is not too surprising. I used to stop there occasionally on the way home for milk and other odds and ends but have not had the need to do so since our beautiful Harris-Teeter opened up at East Gate.

I second the accolades for SFW's huge donuts, but really, this store was old, small, and crummy. Not a good combo in this affluent area.

Posted by: go fish ()
Date: March 18, 2011 01:42PM

Grandmart is right behind it, retards.

Date: March 18, 2011 02:23PM

Actually, Lotte opened up behind them a year or two ago. I thought Grandmart was in Centreville.

I usually get bagels and donuts at Shoppers. Shoppers has the caramel covered donuts with nuts on top. They have the biggest selection of bagels and pastries for the supermarket chains.

Posted by: donut lover ()
Date: March 18, 2011 03:11PM

Yes, like I posted earlier, Lotte is right behind Shoppers. Go Fish is wrong that there is a Grandmart there.

Has anybody heard what is going into the space where Shoppers is?

Posted by: Chantilly resident ()
Date: March 19, 2011 12:05AM

Maybe they are closing this Shoppers store because of the Wal Mart that is opening at the DC Expo Center which is right down the road. I assume the new Wal Mart will have a full grocery department unlike Target. Wal Mart and Target have good prices on groceries.

Posted by: J.C ()
Date: March 20, 2011 11:04AM

Shoppers is being closed down 5 stores at a time and will reopen under the name of Save a Lots.

Date: March 20, 2011 01:15PM

J.C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shoppers is being closed down 5 stores at a time
> and will reopen under the name of Save a Lots.

What a horrible name!

Posted by: DingleBerry ()
Date: March 20, 2011 02:52PM

Chantilly resident Wrote:
> Maybe they are closing this Shoppers store because
> of the Wal Mart that is opening at the DC Expo
> Center which is right down the road. I assume the
> new Wal Mart will have a full grocery department
> unlike Target. Wal Mart and Target have good
> prices on groceries.

The Chantilly Target has groceries.......and has had them for about 6 months.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: March 20, 2011 04:00PM

I dont think it is just that shoppers,
There was one in Gainesville that closed just in the last month or so.

The only redeeming quality was the cheap beer, even on imports.

I once went to the produce section only to be swarmed by fruit flies... yuck!

Posted by: Duhhh! ()
Date: March 20, 2011 05:02PM

Awww that one has the best donuts!! Ohh that grandmart place called El Lotte?? That place sucks ass and smells like fish!! We need a REAL market!! Not no fishy warehouse! Not everybody shops for fuckin kury, eggrolls and chop sticks!

Date: March 23, 2011 12:01AM

DingleBerry Wrote:
> Chantilly resident Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe they are closing this Shoppers store
> because
> > of the Wal Mart that is opening at the DC Expo
> > Center which is right down the road. I assume
> the
> > new Wal Mart will have a full grocery
> department
> > unlike Target. Wal Mart and Target have good
> > prices on groceries.
>
>
> The Chantilly Target has groceries.......and has
> had them for about 6 months.

They do not have a full grocery store. They have good prices on the groceries they have, but selection is very limited, especially for meats and vegetables.

Posted by: Bing Hitler ()
Date: March 23, 2011 06:27AM

I believe Sav A Lot is the name of another grocery chain. stores tend to be on smaller size. Good for old folks cuts down on all the walking in todays humongous sized grocery stores. Seen the Sav A Lot down south. doesn't Richfood own Shopper's?

Are these foreign supermarkets starting to kill off the american grocery stores

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: March 23, 2011 08:35AM

Bing Hitler Wrote:
>
> Are these foreign supermarkets starting to kill
> off the american grocery stores

I don't think so, the food items are mostly different. I would go to Lotte before Shoppers for meat or produce though. The Shoppers fruit fly comment above says it all about the rotten fruit and veggies on the rack at Shoppers.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Date: March 23, 2011 09:52AM

I have found that you have to careful. Sometimes it's very obvious with all of them showing black spots. I have friends that travel to China frequently and won't buy their vegetables at the Chinese stores.

China: Millions of hectares of Chinese farmland polluted with heavy metals

Twelve million tonnes of grain must be destroyed. Land and water sources are polluted with heavy metals and other toxic substance. The government pledges quick action, but does not provide details. Given its current drought, China’s food self-sufficiency is in jeopardy.

Beijing – Millions of hectares of farmland have been contaminated with heavy metals and 12 million tonnes of tainted grain have to be destroyed at a time when China’s farming regions are experiencing their worst drought in 60 years. Beijing’s desire for grain self-sufficiency is now at risk because urban sprawl is gobbling up farmland and pollution is making large sections of land unfit for agriculture.

The revelations were made in yesterday's edition of the China Economic Weekly, a magazine controlled by the People's Daily, the Communist Party’s newspaper, which reported on Tuesday that water used for irrigation in Tanggang (Henan) comes from heavily polluted rivers.

An official report also found that up to 10 per cent of rice grown in China was contaminated with toxic metals such as cancer-causing cadmium.

For years, unfettered industrial development has left rivers and farmland in a story state. Now entire areas can no longer sustain farming because of heavy soil pollution. Potential economic losses in terms of contaminated rice would be enough to feed more than 40 million people at a cost of 20 billion yuan.

For many, the authorities, especially at the local level, have tried to hide the problem even though cases of pollution and pollution-related diseases, above all in children, have been front-page news.

http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=49148&t=China%3A+++Millions+of+hectares+of+Chinese+farmland+polluted+with+heavy+metals

Posted by: Buffalo Bill ()
Date: March 23, 2011 03:36PM

Shoppers could not pay the lease,It was a dirty poorly run store. The workers at that store look like survivors of 3 mile island. I heard a wegmans is going to replace it

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: March 23, 2011 03:55PM

Buffalo Bill Wrote:
> Shoppers could not pay the lease,It was a dirty
> poorly run store. The workers at that store look
> like survivors of 3 mile island. I heard a
> wegmans is going to replace it

I would be really surprised to see Wegmans go in that shopping center. That location seems way below the Wegman norm.

Posted by: shopinchantilly ()
Date: March 23, 2011 04:44PM

Buffalo Bill Wrote:
> Shoppers could not pay the lease,It was a dirty
> poorly run store. The workers at that store look
> like survivors of 3 mile island. I heard a
> wegmans is going to replace it

oh good lord, you can barely get into that mall now... that would be a nightmare.

The produce at Shoppers is terrible. Once Lotte opened, they were dead. No one goes in Shoppers anymore. I actually shop sometimes at Lotte and find the produce to be good quality and inexpensive. The turnover on the produce is incredible given how busy the store is.

Also, most of the produce wouldn't last shipping all the way from China. I'd be surprised if it came from there.

Posted by: TimmyTwotimes ()
Date: March 24, 2011 10:46AM

How do you know it is closing?

Date: March 24, 2011 11:15AM

Wegman's, are you kidding me? I wonder if anyone on their planning board has tried to get in or out of that shopping center during an evening or weekend. Trying to leave that Lowe's there is a nightmare.

Posted by: J.C ()
Date: March 24, 2011 05:06PM

Shoppers has been closing their stores down 5 at a time since January. There are six different vendors who serve us as well as Shoppers have told me about this.

Posted by: Bing Causeway ()
Date: March 28, 2011 05:17PM

Was in this shoppers food last night. Cashier said the store wasn't closing as far as she knew but did say shoppers had announced they were closing 10 stores but hadn't announced which ones yet. she also confirmed that the new grocery store on metrotech had definitely affected shoppers buisness. Store didn't look like it was closing immediately shelves looked well stocked

Posted by: A.Suragiat ()
Date: October 11, 2011 01:31PM

The store has already been closed. The salad bar may be of lower quality, but it's a lot cheaper that that at Giant, Harris Teeters.

Posted by: Deez Nuts ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:50PM

Store is mostly empty; some display units still visible. Wal-Mart at Expo Center is coming along....

Posted by: Lungbat ()
Date: October 21, 2011 03:23PM

I've heard the Curry Emporium is moving in.

Posted by: Jerry ()
Date: October 23, 2011 05:02AM

Shoppers in Sully Plaza is going to become Jerry's Pizza.

I got some food at Jerrys a couple days ago, and read a sign on their door stating they are relocating to the Shoppers building.

It's hard to imagine Jerrys taking over the ENTIRE building obviously, but it will atleast take up a portion.

Posted by: lur king ()
Date: October 23, 2011 10:45AM

I thought Jerrys was taking over the Flippin Pizza spot....but what do I know?

Date: August 16, 2015 02:55PM

Is it just me, or are Shoppers stores really bland these days?

Posted by: foodeater ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:30PM

I find Shoppers and Giant to have the SAME prices- this week I went to buy meat, and they had the EXACT same prices - for example a pack of 1lb ground beef was like $5.99 at both- -I was suprised, usually shoppers is at least $1 cheaper but not this time!!

Then again, the cheapest pack of meat I found at EITHER store was pushing $7....and that was for the CHEAP CUT of pork chops and the family pack of chicken QUARTERS (the cheapest cut). Usually chicken legs/thighs/quarters runs 99 cents a pound but now it's up to $1.29....

Glad I have a butcher connect, going to order my meat from them from now on! Glad I have a deep freezer to store it all!!!

Shoppers does beat Giant on pasta, rice, cereal, stuff like that but Grand Mart/asian markets beat them both on fresh veggies. Their meat is hit or miss. Aldi's is the cheapest overall if you can work with their house brand.

Food lion is still the cheapest with name brands (for now since it was bought by Giant its only a matter of time) so I guess I will start shopping there!!!

Posted by: Union label ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:39PM

Shoppers used to be a non-Union shop. Now it's union and costs increased. Not just in the store. they also have the silly trucking union rules about not putting doughnuts and bread on the same truck and similar nonsense.

Posted by: foodeater ()
Date: August 16, 2015 04:13PM

Union label Wrote:
> Shoppers used to be a non-Union shop. Now it's
> union and costs increased. Not just in the store.
> they also have the silly trucking union rules
> about not putting doughnuts and bread on the same
> truck and similar nonsense.

That does make sense (about the silly union rules).

Sure it secures jobs- but the company passes on the higher costs (and wages) to the end-consumer.

Great if you have a job with them, but sucks for us consumers having to pay the price literally! :(

*sigh* I guess I have to deal with it if I want to eat high-quality food, eh?

I guess I better learn how to garden and raise my own chickens and cows now!!! :p

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.