HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
child support in ffx county courts
Posted by: before court order ()
Date: March 10, 2011 06:56PM

any experience with fairfax county judges and ordering child support? do you know how the amount you have to pay is determined? i am wondering if it is better to go through the courts or just pay what i've been paying.

can i ask what other dads out there are paying? and or what moms are receiving? and the amount of your income?

only one child. can do it without paying for attorneys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: child support in ffx county courts
Posted by: Ms ProVallone ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:02PM

When I went to court many years ago for child support, they told me it was based on the other's spouse income. Not sure if it is still like that today.

Posted by: We need more facts ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:04PM

First if you already paying child support why do you want to reduce it? If you are on good terms with your baby mommy or whatever you fools call it why not be happy with what you are paying?

Going to court is going to cost you $$ unless you get to mediate your case and your ex- girlfriend agrees to do that.

I would say do what is right for your child first but few can do that.

Love your child and support your child like a real man should.

POLL- Americans DO NOT TRUST Hillary!
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:12PM

POLL- Americans DO NOT TRUST Hillary!

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 10:07AM by WingNut.

Posted by: o p ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:15PM

i absolutely love and support her! i just keep giving and giving and expenses rise and the mom always wants more. we are on good terms, but my income is not like it used to be and i cannot keep up. i am giving 600/month but wondering if the courts will order more or less.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:30PM

Go here:

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/family/dcse_calc.cgi

EDIT: You can have your support adjusted at any time by you or by your ex. My cousin has to go through this shit. His ex took him back to court years later after he gotten a new job making more and she decided to work part time...his support went up because of the formula. With the recession, he lost his job and had to take another making less and his ex went full time, so he's petitioning the court again to have it adjusted lower. (She spends the support money on clothes and stuff that's not for their daughter).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 06:58AM by Warhawk.

Posted by: skipper ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:48PM

Just take care of your kids and it will work out. I can tell you that enforcement of child support in virginia is a joke . I am owed over 30k - they will do nothing , mom's seem to get enforcement - dad's not so much.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:56PM

skipper, both sides get screwed when one parent decides they aren't going to pay. I know of a couple moms that are lucky if they've EVER gotten anything from their loser husbands. The state does NOTHING. Live and learn and try not to repeat stupid mistakes.

Though I do understand that moms tend to get preference in court when the payments are determined. Best to work it out privately with both parents agreeing on reasonable amounts.

OP, kids get more expensive as they get older. Everyone claims once they don't have to buy diapers that things will be easier, but there is always other expenses. Shit, my eleven year old is wearing men's size shoes....considerably more expensive than boys sizes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 07:58PM by Shadow.

Posted by: It would be better for all ()
Date: March 10, 2011 08:09PM

If you thought before you took your Johnson out of your pants.

I guess you did not think to use birth control since you can not afford a child.

Kids are not going to succeed with parents like you.

All I hear is me,me and me.

You say your baby mommy takes your money and does not spend it on your kids. Grow up. You should take care of your kids. Worry about your kids and LESS about yourself.

Posted by: You should man up ()
Date: March 10, 2011 08:12PM

Take care of your kids.

My taxes are high enough.

Posted by: Backsupport ()
Date: March 10, 2011 08:14PM

Can you go back and get back child support even if the kids are grown? I didn't want to make the kids lives miserable by talking bad or keep going to court back then so I never chased it but worked a lot. Now that they are grown I would like to get him to give the kids the money for the IRA's (that way he is not giving it to me) since he didn't support them when they were young.And they did without. Someone said that you can get a judgement. But I am wondering if that is true. If so how much would something like that cost. At that time I was awarded $800 a month for 4 kids.

Date: March 10, 2011 08:19PM

thanks for the link. again, i do take great care of my kid. my ex doesnt disagree... it's just that daycare prices have risen, etc.

Date: March 10, 2011 08:27PM

wow, that link says i only owe $65/month according to the state's calculator. what a joke. clearly, they dont take into account the cost of living in ffx co.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: March 10, 2011 08:44PM

o p Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for the link. again, i do take great care
> of my kid. my ex doesnt disagree... it's just that
> daycare prices have risen, etc.

Lemme ask you....if you're on good terms with your ex, why don't you cut out the court bullshit and work it out among the two of you? An old neighbor of mine didn't pay a dime in child support to his ex. Instead he had his kids on his insurance (so he paid), he paid for the daycare for the youngest (of two) and put an equal amount into a college fund for the older one. His ex wife paid for the day to day stuff, doctor co-pays, etc. He said it came out pretty much even. They never got a court involved. Maybe they're unique.

Date: March 10, 2011 08:51PM

i'm not trying to defend myself... my income is just not what it used to be. hers has been stable. she pays insurance, day to day, i pay towards daycare or whatever she needs. we both contribute to a 529.

i guess each couple works it out on their own.

i really was just curious to hear the actual amounts that mothers/fathers are paying to their ex's. i know one lady getting $1250 for 1 kid and both parents make over 80k. i know another lady getting $800 for 2 kids and both parents make about 70k.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: March 11, 2011 10:10PM

Lots of bad advice and useless pontificating on this. Go to Warhawk's site. If you have the mother and father's income, child care costs and health insurance costs it will give you the guideline child support figure. According to a friend who does this for a living that is where the court starts in computing child support and in most cases that is where it ends. BTW if the calculator says you only owe $65, if you make a decent living and your kid is in daycare, you probably did it wrong.

Unless you know the income, child care costs, health insurance costs and custodial arrangement it is almost pointless to be comparing child support amounts. One father could be making $10k per month, but because the father was paying for health insurance and the father had the kid close to half the time and the mother's income was also large the guidelines would say he owed very little support for his one child. Another father could be making $3k per month but with multiple kids in daycare and the mother having the kids almost all the time he might end up paying much more in support. Also remember that in some cases the parent's income may have changed a great deal since the support order was entered.

Once set support is not permanent. It can change if your or the other parent's income goes up or down significantly, if the child stops using daycare, if you have additional children, if custody changes or if one of the children graduates from high school. However changes in support are not automatic. You need to go back to court in order to get the amount changed, and if you don't the other parent can hunt you down for back support.

Don't feel bad about going in for a child support reduction if your income goes down. If you and the mother were still together and your income dropped you would no doubt be cutting back on money spent on the kids. And you can bet that if your income went up significantly the other parent would be going into court asking for more.

My friend also indicated that at the moment Fairfax Domestic Court is severely backed up, meaning it may take months before your case gets heard or even processed. Virginia does enforce child support orders, but they can also get backed up as well.

@Wingnut. Virginia does not have court appointed attorneys for child support cases except for criminal nonsupport cases.

Posted by: Anon ()
Date: March 13, 2011 09:28PM

Try to work it out with her if you're on good terms. My ex pays me $500 a month for our 13yo and I let him split it into 2 separate payments so it's easier on him. Also, she can use the $ for whatever she wants that has to do with your child, that includes paying the rent/water/electric bills etc. As a previous poster mentioned his ex used it to buy clothes for herself and that is perfectly fine so long as she had paid her rent and utilities first (they can't wait on you to give them the $$$ to pay some bills). She can use her money to pay the kids expenses then use your money as "payback" for the expenses she paid for an use it for what she wants.

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: March 14, 2011 01:25AM

Try for joint custody. This is when your kid or kids live with you for 6 months and with your ex for the other six months. Thus means no support payments. Just make sure that you live in the same school area so the kids lifestyle doesn't change.

Posted by: anotheranon ()
Date: March 14, 2011 11:37AM

I'm the custodial parent, I make 32k, have no idea how much my ex makes, and I've been recieving $230/ month on and off for the past 5 years. This was the court-ordered amount from our divorce in 2004. Our son is now 13 and getting more expensive every day.

We tried to work the payment out between us, but he would disappear for long periods of time, or have his girlfriend mail me written excuses as to why he couldn't pay, so I filed a VA DCSE claim.

I wonder if it's possible that if I filled out the paperwork to readjust the support amount that I could be awarded even less based on what I make? Although I don't know how much the ex makes, I know it can't be a staggering amount, based on his known education and location in a southern part of VA where jobs aren't as plentiful as NOVA (his excuse to me back then).

Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:07PM

anotheranon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm the custodial parent, I make 32k, have no idea
> how much my ex makes, and I've been recieving
> $230/ month on and off for the past 5 years. This
> was the court-ordered amount from our divorce in
> 2004. Our son is now 13 and getting more
> expensive every day.
>
> We tried to work the payment out between us, but
> he would disappear for long periods of time, or
> have his girlfriend mail me written excuses as to
> why he couldn't pay, so I filed a VA DCSE claim.
>
> I wonder if it's possible that if I filled out the
> paperwork to readjust the support amount that I
> could be awarded even less based on what I make?
> Although I don't know how much the ex makes, I
> know it can't be a staggering amount, based on his
> known education and location in a southern part of
> VA where jobs aren't as plentiful as NOVA (his
> excuse to me back then).

Your ex's girlfriend should not have been involved--Talk to a DCSE rep about the process and how it works since you filed a claim--I am certain they would need your ex's current leave and earnings statement and last year return to calculate the child support amount. They also would need yours as well. Hopefully your ex will cooperate and pay for his share of child support for both your child.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: March 14, 2011 01:25PM

They may not need his pay information if he has a regular job. Employers are required to file quarterly statements of wages paid with the Virginia Employment Commission, and per the same source Virginia can access that information in cases setting child support. That said it would be better to have a pay statement or something more. Income for unemployment tax purposes is not the same as income for child support purposes, and a pay statement might reveal income that would not be revealed on an unemployment return. I believe Virginia CAN require parents and their employers to provide additional pay information, but whether they WILL is another matter.

Your problem is that they will not access that information or tell you what the amount is until after you have filed the paperwork to initiate the child support revision. So yes you could end up filing for a change and then find out afterwards that the change would result in a lower rather than a higher amount of child support.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.