HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Failure to show registration
Posted by: Chris ()
Date: October 29, 2007 11:22AM

Any one know what happens if you don't have a copy of your registration with you when you get pulled over?

Mine was lost and DMV is sending me a new copy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Failure to show registration
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 29, 2007 11:40AM

Depends on the cop. If he is an ass then he'll write you up and you have so many days to produce a copy. I'm sure if you explain it to most cops they'll just look it up in their computer and see the car has a valid registration. No big deal.

Posted by: slimey ()
Date: October 29, 2007 11:44AM

Under the new laws, this is the fate that awaits you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PKkuRUIgBN0

Posted by: ben ()
Date: October 29, 2007 11:48AM

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: October 29, 2007 11:52AM

Thanks Lurker!

Slimy, That does not surprise me.

And Ben, its not expired just don't have a copy of it in the car.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: October 29, 2007 12:02PM

going what Lurker said, which is true enough... if its anything like what happens when you dont have your license on you (with it still being valid), you have to just have it with you at court, and the charges are dropped.

I didn't have a liscense ON me, got pulled over, and that was explained to me by the cop.. who, as nice as that was, was a punk for doing it anyways :)

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: October 29, 2007 06:17PM

You could be issued a summons.

§ 46.2-104. Possession of registration cards; exhibiting registration card and licenses; failure to carry license or registration card.

The operator of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer being operated on the highways in the Commonwealth, shall have in his possession: (i) the registration card issued by the Department or the registration card issued by the state or country in which the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer is registered, and (ii) his driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit.

The owner or operator of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall stop on the signal of any law-enforcement officer who is in uniform or shows his badge or other sign of authority and shall, on the officer's request, exhibit his registration card, driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit and write his name in the presence of the officer, if so required, for the purpose of establishing his identity.

Every person licensed by the Department as a driver or issued a learner's or temporary driver's permit who fails to carry his license or permit, and the registration card for the vehicle which he operates, shall be guilty of a traffic infraction and upon conviction punished by a fine of ten dollars. However, if any person summoned to appear before a court for failure to display his license, permit, or registration card presents to the officer issuing the summons or a magistrate of the county or city in which the summons was issued, before the return date of the summons, a license or permit issued to him prior to the time the summons was issued or a registration card, as the case may be, or appears pursuant to the summons and produces before the court a license or permit issued to him prior to the time the summons was issued or a registration card, as the case may be, he shall have complied with the provisions of this section.

(Code 1950, §§ 46-15, 46-80; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-7; 1964, c. 205; 1972, c. 362; 1978, cc. 500, 605; 1984, c. 780; 1988, c. 74; 1989, c. 727.)

Date: October 29, 2007 08:09PM

Chris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Lurker!
>
> Slimy, That does not surprise me.
>
> And Ben, its not expired just don't have a copy of
> it in the car.

I know, but the everything from that post applies. Same ticket (I believe), same procedures- pay it or show up to court with your registration.

Posted by: A. Parent ()
Date: October 30, 2007 06:28AM

When a Commonwealth highway patrol person or a Fairfax officer pulls you over, he or she already know the details of your car's registration and the owner's traffic record. I would think in the rare instance where you have misplaced, forgotten, or otherwise have a reasonable explanation for no registration/no driver's license, the office would use common sense based upon a computer records check with no problems shown. I'm not sure I understand the problem to ensure that you have the driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance with you when driving. Every six months my auto insurance card is provided and I place it in the car. Doesn't seem to difficult to maintain the documentation for the privilege of driving.

Posted by: Grammar Cop ()
Date: October 30, 2007 08:45AM

It is nice that A. Parent can keep his registration and insurance in the car. It shows a great deal of responsibility. It is just sad that using the correct form of too is too difficult to master.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: October 30, 2007 09:45AM

Grammar Cop Wrote:
> It is nice that A. Parent can keep his
> registration and insurance in the car. It shows a
> great deal of responsibility. It is just sad that
> using the correct form of too is too difficult to
> master.

How is the third grade?

Date: October 30, 2007 12:39PM

A. Parent Wrote:
> I'm not sure I
> understand the problem to ensure that you have the
> driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof
> of insurance with you when driving. Every six
> months my auto insurance card is provided and I
> place it in the car. Doesn't seem to difficult to
> maintain the documentation for the privilege of
> driving.

If your car is ever stolen, and you leave your vehicle registration in the glove box, whoever is in your car has access to it. If you haven't had time to report your vehicle stolen, and they're pulled over for some violation, that's one less chance they'll be stopped right then.

I keep my license and my registration in my wallet, which I've on occasion misplaced or forgotten before driving somewhere. The one time I was pulled over without my license and registration, the officer simply took my name and date of birth and verified my information in their system. Then he thanked me and let me on my way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2007 12:42PM by ben.

Posted by: A. Parent ()
Date: October 30, 2007 12:58PM

Grammar Cop, thank you for your keen observation, but off-topic. BTW what are you bona fides to be the Grammar Cop? BA in English? Ph.D. in Grammar?

Now back to topic. Do you agree or disagree with content of my statements?

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: November 01, 2007 08:42PM

In this state you are not required to carry an insurance card. You are required to produce proof of insurance, if requested by police, within 30 days of being involved in a crash.

Posted by: manticore ()
Date: November 03, 2007 08:42PM

i've been pulled over and not had my registration (or couldnt find it though i know it was in there somewhere) in both WV and northern VA and never had any problem. I know I didn't have my license on me at least once as well in VA. No one has ever asked for my insurance card

and yeah, from what i hear technically (though few do this) you're supposed to keep your registration ON YOU not in your car. supposedly if you get towed and the lot guy feels like being a dick he can ask you for it before releasing your car (to prove its your car), and if you car gets stolen they're one step closer to looking legit if they get pulled over (even though that's kind of irrelevant since the cops dont seem to care if you dont have it on you anyway)

Posted by: T W ()
Date: August 27, 2011 08:34AM

Officer J R lufiy (f face) gave me a ticket just because the redneck could not stand the car I was driving.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.