HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ground crews at Dulles & Reagan - worse than anywhere else?
Posted by: T. Raveler ()
Date: October 28, 2007 04:09PM

I hate having to check luggage at DC's airports because it always takes at least 45 min. to get to the carousel upon arrival. I travel a lot, and other large airports are not nearly as bad. What the hell is the problem with DC's baggage handling logistics?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ground crews at Dulles & Reagan - worse than anywhere else?
Posted by: United 1K ()
Date: October 28, 2007 04:19PM

I'm a 1K on United and I travel quite a bit as well. I don't fly out of DCA but I have to agree with you on IAD. The speed bags are delivered seems spotty at best.

United places bright orange "priority" tags on my bags and the idea is that they are supposed to be delivered to the carousel among the first bags but this is not always the case. Sometimes it is among the last! The longest I waited for my bags at IAD was 1.5 hours and another time the bag was literally dropped onto the carousel as soon as I walked up to baggage claim.

I've been trying to do nothing but carry-on but that is sometimes difficult depending on the length of my trip and the stupid liquid and gel rules.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 28, 2007 04:35PM

You're right, Dulles is the worst I've ever experienced. I mostly fly out of National, and I've never had a problem there. But I've had problems at Dulles pretty much every time I've flown into there.

In fact, I landed at Dulles back in August, and the entire carousel notifiction system was broken. All of the screens listing the flight info were offline or had the wrong flight info. A bunch of flights had just landed, and it was complete chaos as hundreds of people were running from carousel to carousel trying to figure out where there bags were.

That airport is a disaster in terms of efficiency.

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: October 28, 2007 05:53PM

What Dulles lacks in efficiency they make up for in outrageous parking fees,rude service and mind bending directional signs. Not to mention the ongoing construction which has been ongoing for twenty years. The arrival/departure boards are usually broken or wrong.

National seems much better for me to drop off and pick up. At least someone can drop you off without the police officers jumping down your throat. Usually I just get dropped off at a metro station and take it into the airport but that is with limited luggage. Just my luck but I have never had a bad experience at National and never a good one at Dulles.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 28, 2007 06:36PM

What Dulles lacks in efficiency they make up for in outrageous parking fees,rude service and mind bending directional signs

LOL, I have awful Dulles stories about all 3 things you just mentioned, specifically rude and incompetent service. That is not an over-exaggeration by any means.

That airport does indeed suck.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: October 28, 2007 10:46PM

hold em Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What Dulles lacks in efficiency they make up for
> in outrageous parking fees,rude service and mind
> bending directional signs. Not to mention the
> ongoing construction which has been ongoing for
> twenty years. The arrival/departure boards are
> usually broken or wrong.

Has anyone ever tried to use the cell phone waiting area at Dulles? Great concept, but the signs are awful and you make about a 5 mile loop of the airport before winding up near air cargo. Now that I know the "short cut" it is not so bad, but with all of the construction going on it would be pretty easy for someone to simply exit the airport and end up on 28 South.

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with the road construction at Dulles? There are ramps and new lanes coming and going and getting from the airport exit to the Toll Road is a challenge since the merge is all hosed up.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: October 29, 2007 04:25PM

Lol i was goign out the daily parking exit at Dulles back in august or so and found the cell phone area by accident. To get to it you ahve to be going out the daily parking exit, incurring a fee. Then you have to get back to the terminal.

I guess it makes sense, since it takes the same amount of time to get the the terminal from the parking area as it does to get off plane, get baggage, and leave.

On a side note, it appears that there is indeed a metro station at dulles! The large concrete "thing" at the front of the hourly lot right in front of the terminal could be an elevator shaft. Who can urbex it for us?

http://www.clouse.org/metro.html#Dulles_Airport_Rail

Posted by: jojo ()
Date: October 29, 2007 04:40PM

IAD I think is average, if you want to see the worst performing airport in the world just have a connection at JFK, that is by far the worst ever.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: October 29, 2007 05:13PM

jojo Wrote:
> IAD I think is average, if you want to see the
> worst performing airport in the world just have a
> connection at JFK, that is by far the worst ever.

Amen to that! My JetBlue flights often connect through JFK and it is a joke. Love the airline, but that is ridiculous. The airport is ancient, no one knows anything about anything, the place just reeks of theft waiting to happen.

Posted by: ladymacb29 ()
Date: November 18, 2007 01:20AM

Dulles is why when Independence Air started gate-checking *all* bags, I was very happy. And when Independence Air went out of business, I started cramming everything into a carry-on or driving 7.5 hours instead of flying.

It was faster to drive than go through security, wait for plane, load plane, fly, then wait for bags at Dulles, and take the 3 hours for someone to be able to find you in the mass of people waiting in either the arrivals or departures areas to get picked up.

Plus, when I drive, I can pick whatever food I want and the bathrooms at the fast food places are so much better than airplane bathrooms. :)

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 18, 2007 05:15AM

Dulles = Hell
Dallas Fort Worth or Atlanta Hartsfield = Purgatory
Reagan National = Heaven

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: November 18, 2007 10:11AM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> no one knows anything about anything, the place
> just reeks of theft waiting to happen.

...that is all of NYC, not just the airport ;-)

Date: November 18, 2007 10:14AM

Lester Burnham Wrote:

>
> Has anyone ever tried to use the cell phone
> waiting area at Dulles? Great concept, but the
> signs are awful and you make about a 5 mile loop
> of the airport before winding up near air cargo.
> Now that I know the "short cut" it is not so bad,
> but with all of the construction going on it would
> be pretty easy for someone to simply exit the
> airport and end up on 28 South.

I have used the cell phone area one time. It wasn't that great of a convenience.

Frankly, if my party calls me from the gate, by the time they get off the plane, take the people-mover over to the terminal and grab their bags, I am right there anyways.

I am flying Jet Blue out of IAD and will report my results.

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 18, 2007 10:15AM

I remember watching a ground crew loading a plane at Dulles one time. They were throwing the bags and some of them hit the tarmac and bounced to the plane.

I have had good success with taking a train for locations within a few hundred miles esp NYC. More relaxing and I can get up and take a break without fighting to move down the aisle. Most have a club car and you can read a paper and have a meal without feeling like you are a kid at a card table on Thanksgiving at your parents.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: November 18, 2007 11:49AM

I Travel out of DCA at least twice a month. I've never really had a problem with the new terminal getting my bags, but the old Terminal is horrible. I always wait at LEAST 15mins before getting my bags. Now that i know it takes that long, i kinda of just hang around telling everyone else because everyone gets worried that they are not in the right place.

Date: November 24, 2007 10:10PM

IAD to LGB, no issues, on time, no baggage issues. Took about 20-25 minutes to get my bag off the one working carousel. not a problem.

Flew home today, LGB to IAD. Again, no issues, bags were on the carousel w/ in about 25 min of the flight hitting the gate.

Not too bad for a holiday week

Posted by: Druzilla ()
Date: November 24, 2007 10:14PM

Dulles is THE worst in this country. The last three times I flew into Dulles, it took 45 to 55 minutes to get my bags and get into a cab. At National, it's half that time. I've given up on Dulles.

Date: November 25, 2007 10:35AM

After re-reading this thread, I wonder if it the airlines, not the airport itself.

I flew on Jet Blue the past few times... Nothing out of what was expected.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 25, 2007 11:20AM

Dulles sucks. It probably made sense when it was designed and built (late 50s, early 60s). Back then, those dumb mobile lounges took you from the main terminal to your plane. A couple of cheap carriers used to do this out there, and it actually made the trip from the plane to the main terminal quite brief. Unfortunately, the volume of airline traffic and the size of planes made the mobile lounges obsolete almost as soon as they were built. Now, Dulles is spending millions to build tunnels so that they can get up to speed with LAX in the 1970s.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.