HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Private schools
Posted by: Concerned parent in Fairfax ()
Date: February 26, 2011 04:35PM

I am so unhappy with FCPS can someone help me with advice on private elementary schools in the area?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Private schools
Posted by: School Nazi ()
Date: February 26, 2011 06:47PM

Home school?

Posted by: carla ()
Date: February 26, 2011 07:08PM

Try the catholic school closest to you.

Posted by: Catholic priests scare me ()
Date: February 26, 2011 07:12PM

I have two young boys so Catholic schools are out and I am Catholic.

Posted by: To home school ()
Date: February 26, 2011 07:15PM

Sorry but my husband and I both work plus I want my kids to be with other kids. Nothing wrong with home schooling for some kids just not ours.

Posted by: probably good ()
Date: February 26, 2011 09:56PM

Alexandria Country Day School

My son went to their summer program and loved it. It's a very "homey" environment. Nice staff.

We know kids who go to Browne Academy and they seem to like it there also.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:38PM

What's wrong with the public schools? They're generally considered to be the best in the country.

Posted by: jjjjo ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:50PM

You must be new here, Snapple.

Posted by: the best is this ()
Date: February 26, 2011 11:14PM

The effects of 3 years of no raises and increasing class sizes is starting to become very apparent. That's what's wrong. Some of the best teachers are leaving. They are retiring as soon as they can (for fear of changes in the pension) or they are going to other jobs. It's going to be hard to attract teachers with the new 40 year pension plan. The job just keeps getting less rewarding for many reasons. The picture is not good. At least in private schools you will have small classes and more attention.

Posted by: check em out ()
Date: February 27, 2011 02:14AM

Our Lady of Mercy in Potomac is one of the country's best K-8 private schools. Tuition is about $5k / year. About a 20 minute drive from FFX once you're on the beltway. A lot of the teachers are former public school teachers who walked away from the pay & retirement packages to teach in a school where students come first and union dues and bureaucracy are nowhere to be found.

Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:47AM

To the OP,

You could also check out Merritt Academy located in Fairfax off Route 50. I think it is a bit more expensive than the Lady of Mercy in Potomac though. My sister used to work there when she was younger. At any rate, just look up private schools from the phone book or on the internet for around here and research.

Posted by: DominoParent ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:58AM

I know nothing about Merritt Academy other than how cheap (@12,000) it is compared to Flint Hill (@25,000) so I wonder how could it be that much cheaper. Catholic schools are cheap (@$5000-$10000) because they are subsidized by the church.

From what I read on here many Clifton parents want to go private. The problem with this area of Fairfax is we have few nearby private schools. Getting to Flint Hill up 123 in the morning would be a nightmare with traffic. I see a Commonwealth or Westminster small bus (I forget which it is) come through my neighborhood around 5pm. I can't imagine how early is must come through in the morning. It must be a long bus ride.

Posted by: crime teacher ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:27PM

probably good Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> We know kids who go to Browne Academy and they
> seem to like it there also.

It looks like the OP is worried about her boys getting molested. Didn't Dan Hegarty teach at Browne?

Posted by: Stretch ()
Date: February 27, 2011 08:16PM

Send you kid to a nice bead mumbler catholic school where father feel you up will take good care of the little ones.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: February 27, 2011 11:05PM

See DCUM forums, I think you will get some more info.

Posted by: FCPS Student ()
Date: February 27, 2011 11:21PM

I, having nearly completed high school all in public schools, believe that the bad name public schools are given is incorrect. I fell that my education in high school has put me at a huge advantage when applying to college next fall. Save some money, keep your children active and give FCPS a chance. It is not as bad as you think.

Posted by: To FCPS student ()
Date: February 28, 2011 08:18AM

You are a perfect example of why I want to send my child to private school.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 28, 2011 08:22AM

DominoParent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I read on here many Clifton parents want
> to go private.

This is what I have read as well.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: jack ()
Date: February 28, 2011 12:51PM

I went to St. Joseph's School in Herndon from K-8. I definitely noticed a change in standards when I began attending Herndon High School in 9th grade.

Posted by: highly rated ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:06PM

This one is highly rated by the community and I'm sure they'd love to convert (I mean enroll) your youngsters ....optimal path to chemical/nuclear engineering and flight schools

http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/alexandria/2218-Islamic-Saudi-Academy/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.