HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax's Connolly Scorns Crackdown
Posted by: Job Beams ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:41PM

Is this change from previous position? What is the "welcome mat" for illegal aliens? Housing subsidies, free medical care, "don't ask, don't tell?" I'm confused.

Washington Post (Tuesday, October 23, 2007; Page A01)

"Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Gerald E. Connolly (D) said yesterday that under no circumstances would he follow the lead of Prince William County and push for legislation to cut off services to illegal immigrants or authorize police to check the immigration status of suspects, measures he described as election season demagoguery.

"'I can just tell you Fairfax County is not going to go the route of some of our neighbors,'" Connolly, who is seeking a second term as chairman Nov. 6, said during a meeting with Washington Post reporters and editors. 'We're not going to demagogue. We're not going to essentially roll back the welcome mat. . . . That's not why I ran for office and that isn't who we are, and we're not going to do that.'"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax's Connolly Scorns Crackdown
Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:48PM

While I think what Prince William County is doing is stupid because 1) It's most likely unconstitutional, 2) It puts the county in a negative national spotlight that will drive away potential employers and hurt housing values, and 3) Is an over-simplistic way of trying to deal with a complicated problem that really needs to solved at a national level, I do have to say Connolly's use of the term "Welcome Mat" probably just ruined his chances of getting re-elected.

Posted by: SueBonnetSue ()
Date: October 23, 2007 03:14PM

Connelly said the same thing a month ago. He said he would never crack down on illegals because that would involved 'racial profiling' and he's not having anything like that in Fairfax county. He's said that Fairfax would be a safe haven for illegals. We're now none as a sanctuary county. He's been highly critical of Loudoun and Prince William for cracking down on services to illegals.

Do you suppose this is why Fairfax county schools had their first increase in students in 7 years? Nearly 1,000 new students, completely unexpected. How many of those students are illegals who left Prince William and Loudoun over the summer when those counties passed laws against no free services to illegals? How much are we going to have to pay in services for even MORE illegals, thanks to Gerry Connelly's welcome mat?

Vote for Gary Baise!!!!! Connelly has GOT TO GO!

Posted by: Flarefax ()
Date: October 23, 2007 03:18PM

Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I think what Prince William County is doing
> is stupid because 1) It's most likely
> unconstitutional, 2) It puts the county in a
> negative national spotlight that will drive away
> potential employers and hurt housing values, and
> 3) Is an over-simplistic way of trying to deal
> with a complicated problem that really needs to
> solved at a national level, I do have to say
> Connolly's use of the term "Welcome Mat" probably
> just ruined his chances of getting re-elected.

1) Please state why you think it is unconstitutional. The services being restricted to illegal aliens are very limited. Checking the immigration status of criminal aliens is nothing new and very likely constitutional. In my mind, at least, it is a narrowly tailored statute.

2) The only people who view this negatively are those that want no new immigration plan. There are a great deal more who support this. I think overcrowding of homes, increased crime, public urination, etc. hurt property values even more.

3) If the feds are unable to act, do not have the resources, or are unwilling, a simple start of the deportation process by the locals may be a fix. If a local arrests someone and they are illegal, they simply turn the process over to the feds. One less the feds have to find.

Unfortunately, Connolly will still win.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 23, 2007 03:30PM

He's said that Fairfax would be a safe haven for
> illegals.

Now wait... he actually said that? Or are you just making that up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2007 03:38PM by TheMeeper.

Date: October 23, 2007 03:44PM

Flarefax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 1) Please state why you think it is
> unconstitutional. The services being restricted
> to illegal aliens are very limited. Checking the
> immigration status of criminal aliens is nothing
> new and very likely constitutional. In my mind,
> at least, it is a narrowly tailored statute.

Because American citizens who happen to be Hispanic are going to be required to prove their status as a citizen while whites and blacks won't. It's called equal protection under the law. Also, it creates an environment where employers will shy away from hiring ALL Hispanics - legal residents or not - for fear of fall-out.

> 2) The only people who view this negatively are
> those that want no new immigration plan. There
> are a great deal more who support this. I think
> overcrowding of homes, increased crime, public
> urination, etc. hurt property values even more.

I don't like illegal immigration. However, I realize that at least one-fifth of homes in PW are owned by Hispanics. When those people leave, what do you think is going to happen to housing values? The county needs to be passing laws to deal with overcrowding, crime, etc. By the way, crime will increase because law abiding Hispanics are going to be afraid to speak to police about the gangs and criminals in their communities because of this new law.

> 3) If the feds are unable to act, do not have the
> resources, or are unwilling, a simple start of the
> deportation process by the locals may be a fix.
> If a local arrests someone and they are illegal,
> they simply turn the process over to the feds.
> One less the feds have to find.
>
> Unfortunately, Connolly will still win.

PW County can turn all the illegals to the Feds that they want. Justice won't deport people unless there are multiple offenses and the offenses are serious enough to result in deportation. On top of that, you just had that case in Manassas where the guy was deported back to Mexico three times and he came back and killed somebody. Deporting a criminal isn't going to result in that criminal being off of the street.

The real solution comes from reforms at the Federal level. Doing this stuff at the community level only results in the problems you are concerned about - illegals moving to the community next door.

Date: October 23, 2007 04:16PM

Fairfax MF---er said:

"Because American citizens who happen to be Hispanic are going to be required to prove their status as a citizen while whites and blacks won't. It's called equal protection under the law. Also, it creates an environment where employers will shy away from hiring ALL Hispanics - legal residents or not - for fear of fall-out."

You are assuming that no blacks and whites will be subject to an immigration check. I imagine that no jurisdiction is this stupid. Blanket checks will likely be the norm. They are no more time consuming than an NCIC check which is done for a simple traffic ticket. It is likely to be applied across the board. Proof of racially discriminatory intent or purpose is required to show a violation of the Equal Protection Clause. SCOTUS in Arlington Heights stated that "[d]isparate impact merely has an evidentiary value; absent a 'stark' pattern, 'impact is not determinative.'" While the PWC actions may have a disparate impact on Hispanics, versus other ethnicities, it will still impact all illegal immigrats regardless of where they are from. Like it or not, that is the law of the land. Second, you talk about employment. As long as legal immigrants (regardless of race/origin) will work for less than others, they will have jobs - assuming the jobs are there. Employers should check legal status of everyone regardless of race/ethnicity.

"I don't like illegal immigration. However, I realize that at least one-fifth of homes in PW are owned by Hispanics. When those people leave, what do you think is going to happen to housing values? The county needs to be passing laws to deal with overcrowding, crime, etc. By the way, crime will increase because law abiding Hispanics are going to be afraid to speak to police about the gangs and criminals in their communities because of this new law."

Which is it? They are all going to leave and housing values will drop or law abiding illegal aliens (seems a bit oximoronic) will stop talking to police? If they all leave, there are none ther to commit crimes. If they all leave, I contend that housing values will not go down. In fact, it will probably stabilize due to an influx of people here legally. I don't see how 20% of the homes are owned by Hispanics when they only make up 18% of the population. How did they get up to 20% ownership (according to you)? It means they bought from non-hispanics. When this occurred there was a "white-flight." Property values along the Rt. 1 corridor in Woodbridge did not go up in proportion to other areas of PWC like Lake Ridge or Montclair.

"PW County can turn all the illegals to the Feds that they want. Justice won't deport people unless there are multiple offenses and the offenses are serious enough to result in deportation. On top of that, you just had that case in Manassas where the guy was deported back to Mexico three times and he came back and killed somebody. Deporting a criminal isn't going to result in that criminal being off of the street."

The only way you get into the system to begin with is if you are determined to be here illegally, ie. a deportation order. A deportation order means they will deport you. You seem to think that all illegals are in the system. A vast majority of times when a local will pick them up, the local will not be able to determine they are illegal. Why? Because they have never been picked up. If a guy came across the border, started to work and had no law enforcement run in, they will not be in the system. Only those int he system will be snagged in the program.

Date: October 23, 2007 04:35PM

Manassas is being investigated by DOJ for its housing enforcement because a disproportionate number of Hispanics have been targeted for home inspections over whites and blacks. You seem to think people will apply this law competently and fairly. They won't. That is where we will get into the issues of equal protection because enforcement is where the violations will occur.

Housing values will go down because the houses will be vacant. Have you spent any time in PW County? People are walking away from there homes, allowing them to go into foreclosure. That is NEVER good for the housing market.

As I said before, it will take MULTIPLE violations for Justice to do ANYTHING. There was a report down in Texas that the prosecutors down there have been told to wait until there are six violations with one illegal before they begin deportation proceedings. How many tax dollars is that going to take? And for what?

The non-criminal illegals simply won't talk to police out of fear (whether or not they would really be deported).

Date: October 23, 2007 05:02PM

First, the Manassas case is far from resolved. You are insinuating guilt before the conclusion of the investigation. It is akin to assuming all latinos are illegal. Second, the PWC ordinance is completely different. It simply says that when someone is arrested and detained is checked against a criminal immigration record.

I have spent plenty of time in PWC. I lived there from 1977 to 2000. Thankfully I didn't live in an area inundated by illegals. I still left. You couldn't drive up and down Rt. 1 without seeing a man urinating in public. Quality of life was deplorable.

People would have walked away from the houses regardless. There are far less jobs available to illegals. People who purchased homes expecting to rent multiple rooms to help cover the mortgages have seen renters leave because of the slow down in work that occurred before PWC enacted these laws. That is the economics of a housing slowdown not a crackdown.

Do you understand that some who are picked up ALREADY HAVE DEPORTATION ORDERS!?! That means they can go with no hearing, no further action.

You are a bit off on your TX story. That situation had to do with the Border Patrol catching them at the border. As I am sure you know, when they catch a Mexican at the border, they can deport them without a deportation hearing. However, you CAN prosecute these people in the US with entering illegally. Basically what they were doing was sending them back without prosecution until they did it six times. Still egregious, but resources are scarce to use prosecutors on these cases versus drug/human smuggling cases. They committed no other crime other than illegal entry. Conversely, in PWC they have been arrested for another crime other than illegal entry.

Posted by: New WaPo Poll ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:23PM

Poll Finds Va. Focused On Illegal Immigrants
Issue Could Sway State, Local Races

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/23/AR2007102302425.html

"Three-quarters of likely voters in Virginia said immigration is important to their votes in the election for state and local offices, while just a year ago, immigration ranked seventh of 10 listed issues in a Post poll before the U.S. Senate race. Since then, the percentage of Virginia voters calling immigration "extremely" or "very" important to their vote has jumped 15 points."

Let's see if people in FFX vote their position!

Posted by: Patriot ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:51PM

Here's a news story that came out last week that has Gerry Connelly taking credit for a landlord's arrest. Well, she was cited FOUR YEARS AGO and never complied - why is she arrested NOW? Oh yeah, 3 weeks from the election.... Look at me folks! Lookie here, I got this criminal boarding house landlord arrested. Whoppee Gerry, you've done so much for the CITIZENS of this county...not.

If you were running against Peter Pan, I would take distinct pleasure in voting for Mr. Pan....

...as it stands, I have a very good candidate in Mr. Baise to vote for so that won't be necessary.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1007/464185.html

Date: October 24, 2007 01:58PM

Party politics aside, if that's possible, what slate of candidates would best support County policies for identification of illegal aliens, limiting services to non USA citizens, jailing/imprisoning criminal illegal aliens and deporting? (Please, no "jokes" about manhood or dumb remarks. I seriously seek this information from more informed friends in the Underground.)

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:01PM

Obviously NOT Gerry Connelly. Generally it is republicans who support enforcement of laws against illegals. Gary Baise has said that he will crack down on illegals. Ask for a republican sample ballot at the polls. That is your best bet. Most important, we must throw out Gerry Connelly.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:15PM

Yeah illegal immigration is to much of hassle to enforce so let's just forget about it, maybe we should use the same logic for crack dealers, etc...

NO FREE RIDE FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IN FAIRFAX COUNTY!

Oh, can we please do something about Hybla Valley area of County, maybe use it for testing tanks. That area is an embarrassment to the County.

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: October 24, 2007 08:10PM

Manassas officials got smart. They went into school records and found out how many students were registered at each address given. If there was twenty at one house then they had them for overcrowding. If they then said twenty didnt live there then the got them for lying on the school registration.

If you check out the Fairfax County schools bordering other areas you will see parents dropping off their kids when their cars have Maryland tags. Most likely the parents live in Maryland, somewhere crappy like PG county, and they work in Virginia. They just let the kids ride in with them to work and that way the kids get to go to a decent school and not the hell holes in PG. Of course the parents dont pay the fee to attend the school they just make up an address in Fairfax.

Date: October 24, 2007 11:01PM

hold em, I don't question your veracity in saying

If you check out the Fairfax County schools bordering other areas you will see parents dropping off their kids when their cars have Maryland tags. Most likely the parents live in Maryland, somewhere crappy like PG county, and they work in Virginia. They just let the kids ride in with them to work and that way the kids get to go to a decent school and not the hell holes in PG. Of course the parents dont pay the fee to attend the school they just make up an address in Fairfax.

This statement is pretty amazing, until I remembered how Mexicans from across the border do the same thing (60 Minutes). Also, pregnant women would cross into San Diego to give birth to American citizens. I know. I was in the San Diego hospital next door to the woman giving birth, as someone kept saying "empuje." I think that means push. I have a feeling that they didn't pay.

Posted by: Fairfaxico ()
Date: October 25, 2007 09:54AM

We HAVE to crack down on illegal immigration. I've lived here for 15 years and what a decline in my quality of life.

Poor illegal Hispanics lining the roads and 7-11's looking for work like prostitutes. They can't afford to live here so they crowd into houses - with 10 cars on the street and front lawn. Huge amounts of trash.

Along Columbia Pike (near the bike path that I ride) it used to be beautiful. Now there's trash and poor illegal Hispanics passed out along the bike path, hanging in the streets. Look at the Fairfax County Police releases. You'll find weekly incidents right there around Bailey's Crossroads of Hispanics attacking, battering, and raping people. This was NOT happening a few years ago.

It's just a BIG mess. They come here because getting paid $250/week and living 20 to a house is much better than life at home. Free school for their kids. Food stamps (for their American born children). Great infrastructure.

The problem is that if you're one of the unlucky ones living in or near where the new "poverty zones" have been established (and spreading), life is like Tijuana.

What do you expect - we've got third world people on third world wages now living among us. It's expanding and will continue to expand. Life here is better - even if you don't have a job.

In yet another example, the Fairfax Metro Bus system has been operation down Rt 50 for 20+ years. For 20+ years, there was no need for trash cans at the bus stops. Yet starting about five years ago with the huge increase in illegal immigrants riding the bus system, trash was thrown and left at all the bus stops. We now have these rusty cans placed at each bus stop. Nothing has changed in the past 20 years - except one key factor. This is just another note on how this influx is deteriorating our quality of life. Who enjoys seeing trash everywhere?

Fairfax needs to address this problem. I've considered moving out primarily because I'm getting tired of the 3rd world-like conditions spreading - AND not knowing when it will end or how bad it will get.

VOTE TO STOP THIS. PLEASE!!!! I'M ASKING FOR YOUR HELP!

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: October 25, 2007 10:06AM

To prove my point all you have to do is go to a county high school in the morning at drop off time. There are large amounts of Dc and Maryland tags.
Also people come over from Alexandria to let their kids go to county schools.

I cant really blame the PG parents from trying to keep their kids out of PG schools. What can they learn there except drug dealing and firearms handling.

Also Fairfaxico Jerry Connelly would call your post racist. He says all the increase in crime and declining property values are just fantasy from the far right. The hordes of mexicans you see running across highways and loitering in front of 7-11 is just your imagination.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.