HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Red or White Wine
Posted by: interested ()
Date: October 23, 2007 12:13PM

Looking for some information on some good wines to pickup at the local grocery store. Something that I can just lounge around the house and have a sip here and there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red or White Wine
Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: October 23, 2007 12:25PM

Gee...not asking too broad of a question. Since you don't express any preferences, Charles Shaw (Trader Joe's - aka Two Buck Chuck) should do the trick. Available in both red and white flavors, you can lounge around and sip to your heart's content.

While there are a lot of decent wines under $10, this is a highly personal preference and you might want to stop by Trader Joe's or Total Wine when they are having their tastings to see if there is one or more that you prefer.

Personally, I typically have a couple of mixed cases sitting in a dark corner of my basement with a collection of Malbec, Rioja, Sangiovese, Sauvingnon Blanc, Shiraz and Chardonnay under $15.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: October 23, 2007 12:39PM

I like Beringer, Stag's Leap and Kendall Jackson Chardonnay's; or Northstar, Chateau St. Michelle, and Joseph Phelps Merlot's

Have Fun!

Posted by: Willy the wino ()
Date: October 23, 2007 12:46PM

A bottle of ripple or some rot-gut usually does the trick for me.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 23, 2007 12:49PM

Total Wine & More in McLean usually has free samples and tastings, I think mostly on the weekends. I don't really drink wine, but the times I've bought it there, the staff were pretty helpful in answering my questions and helping me pick out something. It's worth a visit, their selection is huge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2007 12:54PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: slimey ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:01PM

Try this one. After a couple of swigs, you wont care what color it is. Best
served ice cold and drank from the bottle.
http://www.ghettowine.com/21/rooster2.html

Posted by: wine guy ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:01PM

There is only one way for you to find a wine that's good for you. Go to a wine store and buy two bottles of wine and try them. That's it.

What I like or dislike will never match uop with what you like or dislike. Forget the wine magazines, recommendations etc. Its all personal preference. I have been seriously into wine for years and have 1,600 bottles and have found that the only guidepost for me is my own pallet.

Its a trial and error thing.. experiment, there is no right or wrong with wine tasting. You may love wines that most "experts" hate and there is nothing wrong with that. It like asking someone what there favorite food is, try all kinds and enjoy it. (also, if you are a geek like me, try wines, and make notes about then as you do so over time you can compare).

Posted by: § ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:16PM

Under $5 - Charles Shaw (acquired taste, but yes, it's cheap)

$5-7 - Yellowtail Shiraz or Rex Goliath Cabernet

$7-$10 - Penfold's Rawson's Retreat bin or Kanoonga Hill bin Shiraz or Cabernet

$10-$15 - Francis Copolla's Claret, Syrah or Zinfandel

$15-25 - Moon Mountain Cabernet or Merryvale Cabernet

There's several local wineries that have excellent varieties to choose from that offer tastings for about $5 per person and have bottles mainly ranging from $15 to $30. I'd recommend taking a drive out to Loudoun Co. and visit Crysalis (closest from the center of Fairfax), Tarara (far, but has the best property), Willowcroft or Swedenburg. -§

Posted by: Bacchus ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:19PM

Ravenswood has a variety of quality wines to choose from and are reasonably priced. Whenever I have people over that don't know much about wine, I usually crack open a bottle of the Ravenswood Cabernet. Most people are pleased. This wine won't knock your socks off, but for the price, it is a reliable brand.

Again, though, as the above poster stated, wine is a personal taste.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:30PM

Why buy wine when you can make it yourself? Convicts have been fermenting their own fine wine, called "Pruno", for years.

What you need:

-a bunch of oranges
-a can of fruit cocktail
-some sugar
-some ketchup
-some water
-a big Ziploc bag to hold it all

Recipe:

1) put the oranges and fruit cocktail in the ziploc bag and beat it until it's mush.
2) Add some water, seal the bag, and run under a hot tap for several minutes to get that bitch nice and hot.
3) Stash it somewhere and let science begin to work its magic.
4) A day or two later, the bag will be full of mush and gas. Open the bag and make sure it smells like ass (you WANT it to smell like ass). Now add some ketchup and some sugar. Mush the new ingredients around a bit and run it under some more hot water for a good long time to make sure all the sugary goodness is absorbed.
5) Keep an eye on the bag for the next three days or so and make sure it doesn't pop. You also might want to warm it up for a few minutes everyday, too.
6) After several days of doing this, you'll have a bag full of crappy, vomity ooze. Separate the liquid from the mush and transfers to your parents finest stemware. Note the moldy artifacts!
6) Now you're ready to share a special moment with a loved one.

Posted by: Job Beams ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:38PM

Why not enjoy a red wine and get value from its medicinal properties?

Look for high levels of procyanidins, including wines from Nuoro province in Sardinia and the Gers region of the Midi-Pyrenees in south-west France, areas famous for their population's longevity.

The traditional production methods used in Sardinia and south western France ensure that the beneficial compounds, procyanidins, are efficiently extracted.

Madiran wines use the tannat grape grown in southwest France.

Researchers also found that the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Nebbelio grapes made the wines with the highest levels of procyanidins.

(I passed the above information to a wine buyer at Whole Foods and I don't know if you can find any of the above there now. If anyone does find a source from above, I'd like to know, please.)

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:40PM

yellow tail

Posted by: Fred Sanford ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:54PM

Check this site out for some ideas:
http://www.bumwine.com/

Cheers!

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: October 23, 2007 04:42PM

interested Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking for some information on some good wines to
> pickup at the local grocery store. Something that
> I can just lounge around the house and have a sip
> here and there.

It all comes down to taste. J.Lohr's reds are all pretty decent and not too expensive. Bogle's pinot noir isn't bad, either.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.