HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
NOVA professors?
Date: October 23, 2007 11:52AM

Hi, I'm headed to NOVA for some classes. Are there any of those websites where students rate professors, or anything like that? Also, is any one campus better than the others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NOVA professors?
Posted by: bob ()
Date: October 23, 2007 12:02PM

ratemyprofessor.com

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: October 23, 2007 03:26PM

Ive been to Annandale, Woodbridge, and Manassas..

I dunno what you would use to judge which is better...

the Woodbridge and Manasses are small, but cool for that reason.. woodbridge being 1 building, manasses i think was 2 buildings connected (maybe 3?)

Annandale is huge in comparison, and theres a shit ton of people... and because its bigger, they got more resources (like a bigger library and more computer labs)..

but again i dunno how else to judge which is better... I never ate at either places (except maybe some french fries) - the vending machines are all the same.. except manasses they all have a bunch of stuff around them (woodbridge has P-mills, annadale has annadale and fairfax)

Posted by: lol ()
Date: October 23, 2007 03:57PM

I had a summer class at manassas several years ago. It was kind of creepy at night, especially since I had to wait for a ride to come. But I remember one time, this fucking snake came out in the common area, happened a few times. Once we were walking out, it kind of jumped out this fucking trash can, and a classmate kicked it to the side. I hope they fixed that fucking snake problem because it ain't cool.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: October 23, 2007 05:04PM

If I went to Annandale NOVA, I would invest in a motorcycle for preferred parking (behind the food court/loading dock) vs. opions of professors. Seriously.

Posted by: What? ()
Date: October 23, 2007 06:42PM

Snakes? WTF? Like when do you ever see snakes around here?

Posted by: itstrue ()
Date: October 23, 2007 07:14PM

What? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Snakes? WTF? Like when do you ever see snakes
> around here?

I don't know what variety they were, but they were definitely there. I mean the jungle is less than 200 feet away, what did you expect.

Posted by: TARZAN ()
Date: October 23, 2007 08:22PM

There is a jungle in Annandale? Who knew!

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: October 23, 2007 08:56PM

my sister had classes in louden who's campus is HUGE and summer classes in Manassas. She said she had to dodge Deer in the Manassas parking lot and the campus was smaller and comfier and got more attention from professors. Louden campus had more resources and she met more people.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: October 23, 2007 10:06PM

The Manassass campus is sort of carved out from a dense forest, its like right across from some battlefield. Deer are literally walking around the property.
I prefer Loudoun mainly b.c Manassass has some funky people, and the campus is much nicer.

As far as Profs go, list the classes you want to take, and I can give you some recomendations based off the courses I have taken at Nova.

Posted by: NOVA class of 2009 ()
Date: October 23, 2007 10:10PM

I'm a junior at NVCC Annandale and all my professors have been great! Some of the female professors are real cougars.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: October 23, 2007 10:11PM

How the fuck are you a junior at community college?

Posted by: Regret ()
Date: October 24, 2007 12:27AM

Stinkfist Wrote:
> How the fuck are you a junior at community
> college?

IM A SUPER SENIOR N NOVA CC...LOOK AT ME NOW BOI< IM ELECTRICAL ELECTRICIAN MAKIN' 797 HOUR ,,< HIGH LIFE

Posted by: student ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:30AM

great food at nova annandale
taco's mmmm

Posted by: Chad ()
Date: October 24, 2007 02:19AM

student Wrote:
> great food at nova annandale
> taco's mmmm

Those taco's made me shit my self in class one day. They had to throw my desk out, it was a very bad day. Ever take a bus home with shit stained jeans on?

Posted by: Tax Payer ()
Date: October 24, 2007 06:25AM

Did they charge you for the desk?

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: October 24, 2007 04:12PM

wow... thats...

shitty

Posted by: Electician ()
Date: October 25, 2007 12:36AM

Regret Wrote:
> Stinkfist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How the fuck are you a junior at community
> > college?
>
>
> IM A SUPER SENIOR N NOVA CC...LOOK AT ME NOW BOI<
> IM ELECTRICAL ELECTRICIAN MAKIN' 797 HOUR ,,< HIGH
> LIFE

Electricians make lots more the that. Working behind a desk is not for everyone.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: October 26, 2007 08:24PM

To be clear, NOVA a limited number, if any, of "Professors".

A "Professor" is someone who has attained the highest rank in a college or university and has been awarded the title "Professor". This person would normally have achieved the academic credential of PhD and be tenured; or at least on a tenure track. NOVA has many teachers and docents, few, if any, "Professors".

try www.ratemydocent.com....

Posted by: prof1 ()
Date: December 09, 2007 10:57AM

Actually, each college can define what a "professor" is. At NOVA there are 5 'ranks' of faculty:

Assistant Instructor
Instructor
Assistant Professor
Associate Professor
Professor

As a student, you wouldn't know which rank your teacher holds unless you specifically ask them or look in the back of the catalog. They are all considered "faculty" and have the exact same job description.

The 'ranks' are based on several factors, which vary by the subject. For example if you are taking welding or automotive classes you may find that there is a Professor who only has a Bachelor's Degree (there's no such thing as a Ph.D. in welding). In a subject like biology or english, a professor will most likely have a Ph.D., but it is possible that they have a masters and a lot of teaching experience.

Date: December 09, 2007 04:52PM

prof1 Wrote:

>
> As a student, you wouldn't know which rank your
> teacher holds unless you specifically ask them or
> look in the back of the catalog. They are all
> considered "faculty" and have the exact same job
> description

Anywhere else, it is easy to tell. They call themselves Professor, and usually have a "Doctor" in their title.

In Europe,and many other places around the world, if a Professor has a Ph.D, their title is Professor Doctor. If the same professor has two Ph.D's, their title is Professor Doctor Doctor. And when you correspond with them, you are expected to address them with that title i.e. "Dear Professor Doctor Doctor Murtha:"

My point was, at NOVA, you are far more likely to have a docent standing at the front of the classroom than a tenured Professor.

Posted by: Advisor ()
Date: December 09, 2007 09:11PM

Docent? I believe the term is adjunct...as in adjuct faculty. To teach at the CC level, an adjunct needs a MA/MS in the subject area that he/she will be teaching. Additionally, most colleges want the adjuncts to be working in that field as well.

Date: December 09, 2007 10:04PM

I have taken six courses at NOVA and none of the teachers had a Masters. All were docents.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 09, 2007 10:52PM

At northern virginia... community college... you'll get the power, you'll get the knowledge.

Posted by: herman ()
Date: December 11, 2007 03:49PM

NoVa

Where Knowledge starts with an N and Honor starts with an O

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 11, 2007 07:56PM

I belive it is

"NOVA, where the N stands for knowledge and the O stands for Honor"

Small difference in spelling = big difference in meaning

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.