HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
making us sign ticket under threat of arrest
Posted by: ommieee ()
Date: August 17, 2005 10:31PM

I am not a lawyer. I throw this topic out for discussion. Hopefully a lawyer familiar with the law can shed some light.

As most know ANY document, contract etc.. signed under threat, duress, or coercion is not valid and will not stand in a court of law.
I was told that if we write those three words down next to your signature, when you go to court the judge will have to throw out the ticket. Sounds far fetched that's why I'm posting this.

Let me add that you must explain to the cop you are innocent of any wrong doing. You cannot just write those words down with your signature and expect the judge to throw out your ticket. It was even recommended to purchase a 10 min. tape recorder and tell the cop you are tapeing the conversation. The cop isn't going to be worried you are taping it and most will allow you to do so.

After you explained to the cop you are not guilty of whatever he stopped you for he most likely will write you a ticket. Refuse to sign the ticket. The cop will explain it is not an admission of guilt just states you will show up in court if you choose not to pay the ticket. Tell him it feels to you that by signing you are admitting guilt. That you would rather not sign. Of course he is going to tell you that if you don't sign he will take you in custody, jail you, whatever. That's exactly what you want him to say. So when you go to court you have proof of the threat, duress, and coercion. Sign the ticket and include the thre words next to your signature.

Again I have not tried this nor do I know if it will work.
Just looking for feedback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: making us sign ticket under threat of arrest
Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: August 17, 2005 10:39PM

You're mixing apples and oranges. Contract law is a civil matter and you're talking criminal law. By signing the ticket you're agreeing to appear, its like setting bail at $1. Its a nominal gesture signifying that you will go to court. If you think you're the first person to assume that signing the wrong name or putting a D next to your sig to show duress will get you out of a ticket, its been done and rejected by every court. Don't bother.

Posted by: Hemsk ()
Date: August 17, 2005 11:33PM

The ticket is a record of your arrest. Your signature on that document allows you to be released on your own recognizance. Whoever told you that stuff is full of shit.

Posted by: SWweeman ()
Date: August 18, 2005 06:56AM

Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt. It's promises that yoou will either pay the ticket or go to court to answer the charge and plead that you are not guilty. State law has mandated that refusal to sign a ticket will result in the individual being taken before a magistrate. That means you will be arrested. When you go before the magistrate he will ask you to sign the summons promising you will show up for court if you decide to go or he will issue a bond for you to pay to get out of jail. Then you will get that money back when you return to court. The ticket even clearly states signiing is not an admission of guilt. The cop is not a judge when you get stopped. He obviously saw a violation whereas you didn't. That is why you have to go to court. You sign the ticket to be released from the scene of your arrest (a traffic stop technically is an arrest). Don't sign, the officer must give you several warnings, then you go to jail. Your car is towed and you pay for the tow, even if you are found not guilty later in court because you refused to sign the ticket. It will have now bearing on the outcome of your court case. Hope that helps and you won't do what you typed. Ignorance is what gets people introuble the most.

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: August 18, 2005 07:10AM

ommieee,

WHERE do you people get this stuff from? It really is no wonder that so many of you have so much trouble with the law. Bewildering...

Posted by: fairydust ()
Date: November 16, 2005 10:23AM

signing the ticket is only a promise to come to court, thats all....if u dont sign it, they can and will take u to jail....in fact, they are required to!

Posted by: youcantkillpeople ()
Date: November 17, 2005 08:03PM

Sign this ticket or with god as my witness, with the power vested in me by the fcpd, i will kill you where you stand.

Is this legal?

Posted by: JP ()
Date: November 17, 2005 09:53PM

How many times do you fucks need to write that signing it is a promise to appear. I think I got the point after the first post

Posted by: Ted Schlamme ()
Date: November 17, 2005 10:24PM

But you were stupid enough not to understand it in the first place...it only says it in writing on EVERY DAMN TICKET. We thought, if he missed it that many times before this thread, he must need to have it repeated over and over.

It's really bizarre that people even contemplate these things being true... you think nobody would have tried what you suggested by now? The cops keep secrets about as well as I abstain from drugs.

Posted by: JP ()
Date: November 18, 2005 10:19AM

If I write Not Guilty next to my signature, does that get it thrown out of court too?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 18, 2005 10:54AM

youcantkillpeople Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sign this ticket or with god as my witness, with
> the power vested in me by the fcpd, i will kill
> you where you stand.

that is fucking hilarious. xD

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Kenny Blankenship ()
Date: November 18, 2005 01:41PM

I heard that when you are arrested that if you say you don't understand your rights, then the cop has to let you go.

That worked for me the last time I killed someone for being a dope. The arresting officer asked me if I "understood these rights as they were read to me?" and I said "Nope."

He had to get his lieutenant on the scene and finally just let me go 'cause they didn't know what to do then. Later on I saw the cop at a Tim Horton's and he said that never happened to him before.

Seriously, try it.. it totally works.

Kenneth Blankenship

Posted by: Crazy_Cooter ()
Date: November 19, 2005 12:05AM

i'm going to go out and get arrested just to try it out

Date: November 19, 2005 01:44AM

just an interesting note: when you are pulled over by a cop for anything, that is a form of arrest. not just by definition, i was pulled over by a cop and asked him a bunch about this exact topic and somewhere in there, he told me this. there is some specific virginia code that says you have to sign it or they impound your car and you have "to go to the magistrate to explain why you wont sign the ticket." i was basically upset because i went to the wrong court house and was presumed guilt.(i went to alexandria instead of arligton... damn 395 is in every part of the county with their own court house!)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: post- ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:49PM

Gravis Wrote:
> there is some specific virginia code that says you have to

The legislature has code obfuscation contests.

If you ever think you really REALLY know code, try to read through some of the better examples to see what it does before you run it.

Posted by: Nota Lawyer ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:07PM

Gravis Wrote:
> there is some specific virginia code that says you have to
> sign it

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-940

Posted by: Whattttt ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:36PM

Just sign "I fucking hate niggers".

Your name and your signature are two different things.

Date: June 30, 2013 06:39AM

post- Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > there is some specific virginia code that says
> you have to
>
>
> The legislature has code obfuscation contests.
>
> If you ever think you really REALLY know code, try
> to read through some of the better examples to see
> what it does before you run it.

Nota Lawyer Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > there is some specific virginia code that says
> you have to
> > sign it
>
> http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+co
> d+46.2-940

My legend begins in the 12th century when i posted in 2005.

Posted by: I showed him ()
Date: June 30, 2013 07:21AM

Way back in the day I got pulled over in Fairfax City at two in the morning and of course the cop had me do the drunk test and breathalyzer even though I told him I hadn't been drinking. When he saw the results he slammed the breath tube in the street and told me to go sit in my car, he was pissed, I blew a 0.02. It was about ten degrees outside that night so when he brought my ticket for going 12 MPH over the limit I read every single word on both sides of the ticket before signing. Sat there in the heated car and made his ass stand in the cold and wait. Lucky for me he didn't search the car, I would have been in real trouble. Best part was that the girl I was with got all turned on.

Posted by: Whhhhatttt ()
Date: June 30, 2013 03:44PM

So what was having sex with your daughter like?

Next time just tell the cop you're too drunk to sign.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.