HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Where is the Best Bar-B-Que in Nova?
Posted by: Craving Barbecue ()
Date: February 14, 2011 08:36AM

Well Guys and Gals, Where is the Best bar-b-q place in this area?

Don't say red hot and blue that place is terrible,
I had a friend that worked there and he said don't eat it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where is the Best Bar-B-Que in Nova?
Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:20AM

I love BBQ and try it whenver I can, although I definately am not an expert. That said, I do think Dixie Bones in Woodbridge is very good. I tired the place in Chantilly on Willard Road, and thought it was average, at best.

Posted by: Jimmy James ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:37AM

ok, I consider myself a BBQ enthusiast...i have gone to every bbq joint/shack/restaurant/roadside catering in northern VA....There is only one BBQ place that sticks out among all others....that place is REDDY's BBQ. It's a family owned business, they used to sell out of their roadside-catering truck, but now have moved indoors. Its located on 29 as you are leaving Centreville heading towards Gainesville.

Typically they are open on friday afternoons and all day saturday and sunday.
-Best BBQ in NOVA
-Good Prices
-sometimes a cute chick works there.
-just started serving cold beer too!
-the owner Kenny and his wife are great people

They are closed down for the winter season but will open up any weekend within the next couple weeks.

http://www.reddysbbqco.com/

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:39AM

Willard's in Chantilly
Boss Hog's in McLean
Famous Dave's in Oakton (best store)
Dixie Bones in Woodbridge
Reddy's BBQ side of Rt 29 just before Gainesville (only open on weekends)

Posted by: BBQ lover ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:53AM

Having lived in Alabama, and NC, there is ONLY one place that I will go to eat BBQ around here. Dixie Bones in Hoodbridge. Sundays all you can eat buffet is a dream come true.

The ribs are amazing, but you cannot get them on the buffet. It is an Alabama BBQ house which is a combo of Memphis and Carolina bbq's. I highly recommend it.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:55AM

Have not tried Reddy's but if your looking for North Carolina style, Carolina Brothers in Ashburn is out of this world good and cannot be beat IMHO.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:56AM

Willard's rocks.

Posted by: like2eat@theY ()
Date: February 14, 2011 10:27AM

Willards sucks

Posted by: Kimo ()
Date: February 14, 2011 10:30AM

There was a place past Beacon Mall, past the old Multiplex Cinema, called the Rib Rack... bit of a drive, but the onion rings and ribs were soooo worth it...

I moved away, so I don't know if it still there...

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 14, 2011 10:36AM

Rocklands in Arlington is pretty good. That being said, I think Red Hot & Blue is pretty good too. It's all sorta the same, IMO.

Posted by: mike ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:08AM

BBQ world in Burke has really good BBQ.

Posted by: BBQofficionado ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:17AM

I luv me my Willard's when I am by the Expo Center, hits the spot every time.

Date: February 14, 2011 11:47AM

BBQofficionado Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I luv me my Willard's when I am by the Expo
> Center, hits the spot every time.

Everything on their menu is great, especially the KC Burnt Ends sandwich. OMG

Posted by: Wino2010 ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:59AM

The BBQ Banditos food truck that roams around Arlington has really good Carolina BBQ. Their Mexican Cemitas are excellent too.

Date: February 14, 2011 12:31PM

mike Wrote:
> BBQ world in Burke has really good BBQ.

Are you kidding? Maybe it's changed but I went there years ago and it was awful.

Posted by: lur king ()
Date: February 14, 2011 12:41PM

Willards..since its so close to home.
Carolina Bros. in Ashburn since its close to my shop.
Dixie Bones in Woodbridge - Best of all three but a hike for me.
Looks like I need to try Reddys. Thanks

Posted by: fuzzymunkey ()
Date: February 14, 2011 01:29PM

Kimo Wrote:
> There was a place past Beacon Mall, past the old
> Multiplex Cinema, called the Rib Rack... bit of a
> drive, but the onion rings and ribs were soooo
> worth it...
>
> I moved away, so I don't know if it still there...

It was good but it's not there anymore.

Posted by: Piggly ()
Date: February 14, 2011 02:02PM

Carolina Bros in Ashburn is the best.

Posted by: bbq ()
Date: February 14, 2011 02:05PM

The McRib sandwich at McDonald's.

Posted by: Pressed Meat ()
Date: February 14, 2011 04:47PM

Oh Shit, now your talkin the Mac Rib at Mac Donalds now thats good BBQ. There is nothing better than the faux rib bone pressed meat patty. Im lovin it.

Posted by: xkxkxk ()
Date: February 14, 2011 05:01PM

Willard's is pretty good, I like their sauces. There are so many different types of barbecue that it's hard to pick one place that's really good and has a good variety.

Whole Foods Fair Lakes is quite good - the Kansas City pulled pork is usually delicious, they pull it right off when you order it.

Posted by: Wrinkle ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:01PM

More Complete Wrote:
> mike Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > BBQ world in Burke has really good BBQ.
>
> Are you kidding? Maybe it's changed but I went
> there years ago and it was awful.

I was there about a year ago. It still sucks. Awful, awful BBQ.

Posted by: second_willards ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:34PM

If you are going for pulled BBQ and good sides, Willards in Chantilly is really good and the prices are great!

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:45PM

Beacon Mall, Root #1
Attachments:
Famous_Dave_logo.jpg
famousdaves...jpg

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:51PM

I heard red hot and blue was pretty good.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: Pigly ()
Date: February 14, 2011 08:01PM

The problem with Willards and Carolina Bros is you can't get fries.

Posted by: jimmy james ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:03PM

I cant believe so many people like Willard's BBQ.....GROSS....once you try Reddy's you will understand the concept of real tasty, real american BBQ...DONE RIGHT.

and their side dishes are dang tasty too!

but to each their own...

Posted by: Root #1, Back in the Day ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:15PM

Where is it at?
Attachments:
Dixie Pig.jpg

Posted by: whiterussian ()
Date: February 14, 2011 10:57PM

BBQ World is pretty OK. I was by there this past week around lunchtime; it smelled so good on that cold day that I stopped in. It was better than most I've tried in FFX, but if you are excpecting VA or NC or SC BBQ you will be disappointed. That said, its good for a BBQ jonesin'.

Posted by: Hayfield Farm Gun Club ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:08PM

IMO, the #1 question to rate a barbecue restaurant is: can the meat stand on its own? Sides are important, too. Does the restaurant prepare their own? And are they tasty, or just plate filler?

Dixie Bones is probably the best in the area. The barbecued pork and brisket is smokey, moist and delicious, even without sauce. Their sides (and deserts) are superb.

It's a shame that Ben's Whole Hog closed down. When Ben was still the owner and pit master, that place was truly amazing and could compete with the best 'cue. I had some seriously amazing meals when Ben was still around. I also had a couple horrible meals when the new owners took over.

Willards? I don't understand the hype, other than the fact that it's the only barbecue out in that part of the county. The meats cannot stand on their own without drenching them in sauce. And their sides are just awful. For example, their collards are sweeter than a can of Mountain Dew!

Dixie Pig was a great landmark, but their barbecue was pretty poor. They served what I call gas station barbecue.

Shane's Rib Shack. Yes, it's a franchise, but their barbecue and ribs are consistently good. And they get bonus points for offering SC-style mustard-based sauce.

Reddy's sounds intriguing. I will have to try it.

Posted by: Watson ()
Date: February 15, 2011 02:07AM

definately BBQ World in the Burke shopping center with walmart. sure maybe nobody is ever in there, and it tastes dry and terrible, and its a general mystery as how they've been in business for at least 13-14 years, but its a true survivors story that tastes better than the finest of BBQ anywhere else.

Posted by: Jeff clubb ()
Date: February 15, 2011 02:32AM

oy, Bar B Que World in Burke yo man that place is mediocre at best. WalMart Shopping Center ,right?

How long ago did that place change ownership? dude ain't even American how would he know real bar b que

Posted by: whiterussian ()
Date: February 15, 2011 10:42PM

Thanks, Jeff clubb -- I believe the dude in BBQ World is African, and who cares; I would rather have him than most of the bogus chain crap in FFX. BTW, work on spell check, I'm not sure you are even American after reading your post. oy? yo?, etc.

Posted by: Maybe they are commonly owned ()
Date: February 15, 2011 11:35PM

Watson Wrote:
> definately BBQ World in the Burke shopping center
> with walmart. sure maybe nobody is ever in there,
> and it tastes dry and terrible, and its a general
> mystery as how they've been in business for at
> least 13-14 years, but its a true survivors story
> that tastes better than the finest of BBQ anywhere
> else.

Well, if those are the criteria, then I will nominate BBQ Country in downtown Vienna, and it will beat BBQ World hands down!

Posted by: HomeBoy ()
Date: February 15, 2011 11:38PM

Place ribs in crockpot and barely cover with sauce of your choice.
Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Remove with tongs and place on platter.
If you want the outside crispy slather with sauce and place under
broiler until desired effect. (I like mine slightly burned on the
outside:) Remaining sauce gets cooked down in saucepan until very
thick. Pour/dip as you please. Have plenty of paper towels to wipe
hands. Eat cold for breakfast next morning and chase with 16oz. can
of Schlitz Malt Liquor before work.:)

Posted by: Watson ()
Date: February 15, 2011 11:41PM

@jeff club: I said specifically in my post that it was in the wal-mart shopping center. forget not being american, I dont think you can even read. You must have gotten someone (mother, seeing eye dog, some kind of caretaker etc) to have mustered that post.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: February 15, 2011 11:48PM

THe Herndon Optimist Club has good NC-style pulled pork once a year at the Herndon Festival, although I haven't been there in a few years so I'm not sure they still do it.

The cafe at the Herndon golf course has some decent pulled pork too: http://jjdeli.com/

Posted by: Eater of BBQ ()
Date: February 16, 2011 12:12AM

Maybe they are commonly owned Wrote:

>
> Well, if those are the criteria, then I will
> nominate BBQ Country in downtown Vienna, and it
> will beat BBQ World hands down!

Is that place still around? I used to go there years ago. It was decent stuff, but I always felt bad for the people working there. Usually depressingly empty.

American BBQ near Belvoir is an interesting place. ( http://americanbbq.com/ ) It's way overpriced and the BBQ is run of the mill, but there's something charming about the kind of place you can go in, grab a beer or six from the cooler and shoot the shit with people as you wait for your BBQ.

Posted by: G ()
Date: February 16, 2011 12:47AM

Kimo Wrote:
> There was a place past Beacon Mall, past the old
> Multiplex Cinema, called the Rib Rack... bit of a
> drive, but the onion rings and ribs were soooo
> worth it...
>
> I moved away, so I don't know if it still there...

+1 on the Rib Rack reference, I have pics from back in the early 90's when we used to go there on Tuesdays for the all-you-can-eat ribs... I think now it's a Mexican restaurant.
Attachments:
RibRack9b.jpg

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 16, 2011 08:12AM

Eater of BBQ Wrote:
>
> RE: BBQ Country in downtown Vienna
>
> It was decent stuff, but I always felt bad for the people working there. Usually depressingly empty.

I liked that place back in the late 90s. But I stopped in there was 2 summers ago was pretty disappointed. It was around noon on a Saturday and I was the only person in there. The pulled pork sandwich was kinda bland and the bun wasn't fresh. The mac & cheese, served lukewarm, tasted like the instant kind made from a box. It was also a hot humid day, and it felt like they didn't have the AC on. Maybe it was just an bad day for them but I really got the impression they were cutting corners.

Posted by: 519 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 10:20AM

I went to Bubba's last night and as cute as the place was,it could not make up for their horrible and overpriced food.I had the chopped beef brisket and my husband had the smoked pulled chicken and it was just nasty.The chicken tasted like it was watered down and the brisket just had a funny taste.I would go here again only if I was trying to lose friends...sorry Bubba you are not the one for me.

Posted by: ElZilcho ()
Date: March 02, 2011 01:13AM

Whole Foods in Fair Lakes actually has some really good BBQ. They have a Smoke House restaurant thing inside. The sliced brisket is amazing! Pulled pork, pulled chicken, ribs, good stuff. But the best part is the awesome craft beers available on draft :)

Posted by: jeff clubb ()
Date: March 02, 2011 03:16AM

BBq World in vienna use to be part of a chain back over a decade ago, another store was out in centreville. Was pretty d9mn good for awhile but as time went on stores started to close and the vienna store was sold off years ago. quality went downnhill. don't know how the place stays in business it seems so empty when i pass by. I think may have been a falling out between father and son over how to run BBQ World and thus its downfall. I think the son might still run a BBQ place somewhere west of Fairfax County these days. I'm thinking Warrenton but might be wrong

Bubba's of Merrifield has also gone down hill in last couple of years. the owners seem to have turned the place over to new arrivals to run. same thing seemed to have occurred at Willards out in chantilly and Rocklands in suburban alexandriawas pretty d8mn good till same thing happened with new arrivals but the quality was not as big a drop as the others

Posted by: aly_d ()
Date: March 02, 2011 11:04PM

BBQ Country in Vienna is disgusting. The Town Hall should include a warning about that place in their "Welcome Packet". I was pissed that my neighbors let me go there and after I told them we went, they acted all surprised that we didn't know it was to be avoided. How would I know? I just moved here. In all fairness, though, I should have known it was bad news when I noticed that one of their side offerings was egg rolls.

Posted by: aly_d ()
Date: March 02, 2011 11:08PM

One more thing - if you ever make it down to Richmond, you've GOT to go to Buz and Ned's. Best BBQ I've ever had and I miss it so much. Their meat is awesome - the best ribs I've ever had. Plus their collards make you think you've died and gone to heaven. Their potato salad is the bomb - made with sour cream instead of mayo. They serve sweet potato fries sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and they will gladly pour you an Arnold Palmer.

http://buzandneds.com/

Posted by: Buster ()
Date: March 03, 2011 12:38AM

I've always heard that the best BBQ in the eastern U.S. is at Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Lightfoot, VA (near Williamsburg off of I-64).

Posted by: bbq ()
Date: March 03, 2011 08:07AM

What about Johnny Mac's on RT.1? Never eaten there personally, but they advertise NC stlye Q on their sign. I suspect a bucket of Curly's from Giant in the back. Does anyone remember Pig N Chick on 29 by the Hunter's Lodge back in the day?

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: March 03, 2011 08:48AM

Buster Wrote:
> I've always heard that the best BBQ in the eastern
> U.S. is at Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Lightfoot, VA
> (near Williamsburg off of I-64).

Pierce's used to be great, but it grew so much that it the quality seemed, to me anyway, of not being quite as good as it was years ago. But maybe that's just my age showing.

Posted by: drivingdown64 ()
Date: March 03, 2011 09:22AM

>>I've always heard that the best BBQ in the eastern U.S. is at Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Lightfoot, VA (near Williamsburg off of I-64).

I used to drive to Wburg for business meetings a lot and you can smell the simmering meat as you drive past on the Interstate.. always meant to stop there but never got around to it. Maybe next time.

Posted by: schmedrake ()
Date: March 03, 2011 12:44PM

Dixie Bones. And also Shane's in Alexandria.

Date: March 03, 2011 12:56PM

jeff clubb Wrote:
> BBq World in vienna use to be part of a chain back
> over a decade ago, another store was out in
> centreville. Was pretty d9mn good for awhile but
> as time went on stores started to close and the
> vienna store was sold off years ago. quality went
> downnhill. don't know how the place stays in
> business it seems so empty when i pass by. I think
> may have been a falling out between father and son
> over how to run BBQ World and thus its downfall. I
> think the son might still run a BBQ place
> somewhere west of Fairfax County these days. I'm
> thinking Warrenton but might be wrong
>
> Bubba's of Merrifield has also gone down hill in
> last couple of years. the owners seem to have
> turned the place over to new arrivals to run. same
> thing seemed to have occurred at Willards out in
> chantilly and Rocklands in suburban alexandriawas
> pretty d8mn good till same thing happened with new
> arrivals but the quality was not as big a drop as
> the others

BBQ World or BBQ Country? There is one somewhere on the east side of town. From what people tell me, they do a lot of cater orders - that keeps them going.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Jimmy James ()
Date: March 04, 2011 01:21PM

Everyone,

Reddy's BBQ opened back up for the season. They start serving at 2 pm today.

getcha some.

Posted by: pit boss ()
Date: March 04, 2011 01:34PM

My backyard. I got a secret recipe and none ya'll is gettin any. So, suck it. I read this thread yesterday and got a hankerin for some. It'll be ready by the time I get home from work. Enjoy driving all around looking for some mediocre cue.

Posted by: Calling BS ()
Date: March 04, 2011 02:42PM

pit boss Wrote:
> My backyard. I got a secret recipe and none ya'll
> is gettin any. So, suck it. I read this thread
> yesterday and got a hankerin for some. It'll be
> ready by the time I get home from work. Enjoy
> driving all around looking for some mediocre cue.

"It'll be ready by the time I get home from work"

A) You left your smoker unattended which means you're an idiot (or you're using some electric POS)
B) Someone else is keeping an eye on your smoker which means it isn't really "your" recipe
C) You're slow-cooking in the oven, which if you call that BBQ you're an uber-douche.

Date: March 04, 2011 02:52PM

Calling BS Wrote:
> pit boss Wrote:
> -----
> > My backyard. I got a secret recipe and none
> ya'll
> > is gettin any. So, suck it. I read this
> thread
> > yesterday and got a hankerin for some. It'll
> be
> > ready by the time I get home from work. Enjoy
> > driving all around looking for some mediocre
> cue.
>
>
> "It'll be ready by the time I get home from work"
>
> A) You left your smoker unattended which means
> you're an idiot (or you're using some electric
> POS)
> B) Someone else is keeping an eye on your smoker
> which means it isn't really "your" recipe
> C) You're slow-cooking in the oven, which if you
> call that BBQ you're an uber-douche.

If my old lady throwin a couple of logs in throughout the day makes it part her recipe, so be it. I trimmed it, seasoned it and hand picked the wood blend. Either way, I'm eatin better than you.

Date: March 04, 2011 02:54PM

Calling BS Wrote:
> C) You're slow-cooking in the oven, which if you
> call that BBQ you're an uber-douche.

Yeah, cause most people have an oven in their BACKYARD?!?!

better luck next time, mo-mo-mo-moron

Date: March 04, 2011 03:26PM

pit boss.....go fuck yourself. nobody likes you. we dont care that "none yall is gettin some" of your self proclaimed above "mediocre cue." and we certainly arnt going to "suck it" ..,,,enjoy your cue, dude.

Date: March 04, 2011 03:31PM

jimmy james Wrote:
> pit boss.....go fuck yourself. nobody likes you.
> we dont care that "none yall is gettin some" of
> your self proclaimed above "mediocre cue." and we
> certainly arnt going to "suck it" ..,,,enjoy your
> cue, dude.

I don't need you to like me, JJ. Have fun on your trip to Gainsville. While you're sittin in traffic, I'll be downin a cold one and lickin my fingers.

Posted by: D ()
Date: March 04, 2011 05:19PM

All American BBQ on Telegraph Rd (almost to Rt 1) near Ft Belvoir.

Posted by: plate of shrimp ()
Date: March 04, 2011 06:11PM

D Wrote:
> All American BBQ on Telegraph Rd (almost to Rt 1)
> near Ft Belvoir.

Ehhhh.... they are okay. Very overpriced for what they are. Their friday night barbecues are a great idea, but poorly executed, expensive, and dried out.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: March 05, 2011 12:09AM

Has anyone mentioned Copper Canyon yet?

It's in PWC but not very far from FFX.

I ate there once, and it was okay.
(I don't feel like enough of a BBQ expert to really rate any of these places.)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/copper-canyon-grill-centreville

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: March 05, 2011 11:11AM

Can someone help this Canadian dude out- I do NOT like BBQ that has a strong vinegar? taste. What kind of BBQ is that and what exactly is Carolinian BBQ?

Posted by: eh ()
Date: March 05, 2011 02:02PM

Richard Wrote:
> Can someone help this Canadian dude out- I do NOT
> like BBQ that has a strong vinegar? taste. What
> kind of BBQ is that and what exactly is Carolinian
> BBQ?

Eh, go back to, eh, Canada, eh and eat your moosburger, eh. ya fuckin canuck, eh.

Posted by: x ()
Date: March 06, 2011 02:27PM

Pit Boss, U ROCK! Never mind the haters,

Posted by: I'm not eesh ()
Date: March 06, 2011 04:02PM

Jimmy James Wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> Reddy's BBQ opened back up for the season. They
> start serving at 2 pm today.
>
> getcha some.

I drive by there every night on my way home. I think people need to realize it's on Rt. 29 about 2-3 miles before you reach Gainesville heading south on 29. They're only open on weekends.

The smoker is a red trailer with chromed exhaust pipes to let out the excess smoke. Looks like a good operation.

I just need to wait until the weather warms up a wee bit more before I stop because I won't be eating the stuff in my car and trying to drive at the same time.

Date: March 06, 2011 04:07PM

Spacy Wrote:
> Has anyone mentioned Copper Canyon yet?
>
> It's in PWC but not very far from FFX.
>
> I ate there once, and it was okay.
> (I don't feel like enough of a BBQ expert to
> really rate any of these places.)
>
> http://www.yelp.com/biz/copper-canyon-grill-centre
> ville

Copper Canyon is located in Centreville as you've indicated, which is clearly in Fairfax County, not PWC. The last time I was at that place, it was called Red Rock Canyon (not the same as the other Red Rocks in Centreville). Red Rock Canyon served steaks, chicken and an awesome home-made pot pie served in a cast iron skillet.

I guess now that both the name and menu have changed, I'll probably never head back there.

Date: March 06, 2011 04:09PM

Richard Wrote:
> Can someone help this Canadian dude out- I do NOT
> like BBQ that has a strong vinegar? taste. What
> kind of BBQ is that and what exactly is Carolinian
> BBQ?

Carolina-style BBQ tends to be more of a vinegar-based BBQ. The other being Memphis-style or Texas-style will tend to be more of a smoky, sauce based BBQ. I prefer the latter. Not much of a Carolina BBQ fan myself. But, I still won't say no to BBQ.

Date: March 06, 2011 04:18PM

reddy's is inside that old building now...its nice inside, so you dont have to eat & drive.

open friday afternoons through sunday....

Date: March 06, 2011 08:39PM

bbq Wrote:
> What about Johnny Mac's on RT.1?

Dunno, but it gets positive reviews on Yelp.

Posted by: Noj ()
Date: March 07, 2011 09:25AM

I was down in Fredericksburg this weekend and drove by a BBQ placed called Allman's. Has anybody been there?

Posted by: Traffic Report ()
Date: March 07, 2011 09:51AM

Rocklands is pretty good. There is one in Alexandria and one in Arlington

Posted by: Taylor ()
Date: March 07, 2011 08:31PM

I tried "Willard's" today based on the recommendations of some of you. I gotta say, that shit was AWESOME!

I know some here in this thread have downed it, and maybe the quality varies from day to day. All I can say is that the food was incredibly good. Just the smell of the bar-b-que wafting on the air made me quicken my roll across the parking lot. It just got better once I was inside. The corn-bread was sweet, moist and "grainy" in just the right way. The "KC Burnt Ends Sandwich" was smoky, flavorful, complex and delicious. Lastly, the staff was friendly and accommodating and the decor was perfect.

Just one Man's opinion, but I urge anyone who hasn't been there to give it a try. :)

Posted by: Parker's ()
Date: March 08, 2011 06:36AM

The long time bar b que place in mc Lean is gone. Same shopping center as the Color wheel. Replaced by a resaurant called "McLean 1900" Next door soon to open a place called "McLean Tavern" That barb que place musthave been there at least 30 years.

Date: March 08, 2011 09:15PM

Holy Shit is DIXIE BONES terrible.
I had high hopes based on recommendations of those I know plus a lot of the good posts in this thread so I stopped there tonight at 6pm. What a farking let down. If this place is indicative of the other "good" places in this thread I feel bad for the BBQ eating public around. Famous Daves has better food and I hate FD's.
Not one single dish was above mediocre. We did a wide taste test to make sure and give the place a fair shot but no dice. I've had better Que @ Sweet Lucy's in Philadelphia.

Posted by: BBQyum ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:24AM

I second Pierce's Pitt in Williamsburg. Yummy!

Next best thing -- buy Pierce's BBQ sauce at Harris Teeter and apply to pork.

Date: March 11, 2011 07:18AM

Noj Wrote:
> I was down in Fredericksburg this weekend and
> drove by a BBQ placed called Allman's. Has
> anybody been there?

Allman's is a classic "landmark" in Fredericksburg. I ate it growing up, but it really isn't that special. I can make better pulled pork sandwiches in my crock pot at home, and I never really liked their sauce.

Posted by: Mark ()
Date: March 17, 2011 09:37PM

Ben's Whole Hog was the absolute standard--the Wine Advocate listed it as one of the ten best meals of 1999. Willards sucks, can't taste any smoke in the meat. Dixie bones is good, as is Bubbas (very lean). Ruddys has good meat, but sauce is mediocre. Pierces absolutely sucks, BBQ for wannabees (I have been to Oklahoma Joes, Arthure Bryants, etc., Pierces sucks). The very best in this area is in La Plata, MD, Johnny Boys ribs.

Posted by: KK ()
Date: March 18, 2011 08:53AM

Went to Capital BBQ, "Capital Q", near the Verizon Center recently, and I thought it was very good. IMHO much better than Willards, and better the Dixie Bones. Probably one of he better ones I've had in the area.

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: March 18, 2011 09:02AM

Try the Pit Stop at Gilberts Corner (15 and 50) on the weekends. Dude makes pulled pork sandwiches, ribs, and chicken, with home-made potato salad and slaw. Great roadside bbq.

Posted by: tgod ()
Date: March 18, 2011 09:32AM

carolina bros bbq in ashburn i the best bbq around hands down the meats just falls off the bones

Date: March 18, 2011 11:19AM

tgod Wrote:
> carolina bros bbq in ashburn i the best bbq around
> hands down the meats just falls off the bones

I agree. Carolina Brothers does it right!

Posted by: Full of crap ()
Date: March 18, 2011 01:17PM

Mark Wrote:
> Pierces absolutely sucks, BBQ
> for wannabees (I have been to Oklahoma Joes,
> Arthure Bryants, etc., Pierces sucks).

If you were any sort of cue afficianado, you wouldn't even bring up those two places and compare them to Pierce's Pitt. Kansas City BBQ and Carolina-style BBQ are completely different things - Kansas City is SO much more reliant on their sauces (not saying that's necessarily a bad thing) and are significantly better at ribs and rib ends than pulled pork.

Posted by: Mark ()
Date: March 19, 2011 09:34PM

No shit, douchebag, I was not comparing bbq styles, what sucks, sucks.

Date: March 28, 2011 08:08AM

I've been to Sunset Grille for music about 5 times (all in the last 18 months) and I never realized they had BBQ. I wonder how it is?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C11hvWo9Iq4/TY5ikmSo1dI/AAAAAAAABpw/Z5n7lGLpP60/s1600/Sunset+Grille+March11.jpg

Posted by: here ()
Date: March 28, 2011 08:50AM

Posted by: ION ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:18PM

Date: April 04, 2011 05:48AM

we ate there last night, and I took the shit of the year just now. Good marbling throughout the mass - and speaking of mass. I must have dropped 2 pounds.

Posted by: Larry KIng ()
Date: April 04, 2011 08:28AM

I've tried 'em all. Believe it or not - COASTAL FLATS HAS THE BEST BBQ ...

Posted by: ksj ()
Date: April 04, 2011 05:04PM

I understand that it's not northern Virginia, but for my $, Capital Q next to Verizon center is the best.

If you have not been to Whole Foods Fair Lakes, you are missing out. Their "Kitchen Sink" special is more than enough for 2 ppl..for $15. Not to mention that there is a seclection of ~10 premium microbrewed beers on tap.

Date: April 04, 2011 05:33PM

The BBQ at wholefoods is pretty good. We go there to get large quantities for cookouts and parties.

Posted by: KC BBQ Fan ()
Date: May 15, 2011 04:54PM

The first and only Kansas City style BBQ place in NOVA is Moley Brothers BBQ! www.moleybrothersbbq.com

Date: May 15, 2011 05:00PM

Ate at Dixie Bones today after a nice trip to Ikea. Yum!!!

Posted by: Ikea ()
Date: May 15, 2011 05:11PM

Is there crap any easier to put together?

Love Dixie Bones. Not in FFC but close.

Date: May 15, 2011 05:17PM

It is pretty simple. Word of advice - get an electric drill that has a correct hex "key" driver.

A lot easier than turning a hex key hundreds of times.

Posted by: I Love BBQ ()
Date: June 13, 2011 12:00AM

jimmy james Wrote:
> reddy's is inside that old building now...its nice
> inside, so you dont have to eat & drive.
>
> open friday afternoons through sunday....

Sadly, yesterday - Sunday June 11th, 2011, marked the last day for Reddy's BBQ to remain open. Apparently, the landlord wanted an occupant who would provide service more days per week - rather than the weekends, and upped the rent. All of this information was posted on a long note on their front door when you would go there.

Fortunately, I had my first and only meal there today - so I was able to taste how good their grub really was. The pulled pork BBQ was excellent - and the sides were, too. Great baked beans with two types of beans, bacon, etc.

As far as national chains go, I won't compare Reddy's to any of them. However, I've eaten at Bubba's BBQ before a few times in Falls Church. It happened to be quite a disappointment for me. Dry pork - too dry. The sides were boring, etc.

Reddy's ... you will be missed. Hopefully, you'll find another location to re-open near Gainesville soon. I do promise I'll eat more of your BBQ as I'll ensure I have more time in my day to stop and enjoy a fine meal.

Posted by: Realist&* ()
Date: June 13, 2011 09:02AM

Reddy's was a roadside place that got people all nostalgic but it was very overpriced. Paid 7 to 8 dollars for one small sized sandwich on a cheap hamburger bun. I'm not sorry to see it go.

I Love BBQ Wrote:
> jimmy james Wrote:
> -----
> > reddy's is inside that old building now...its
> nice
> > inside, so you dont have to eat & drive.
> >
> > open friday afternoons through sunday....
>
>
> Sadly, yesterday - Sunday June 11th, 2011, marked
> the last day for Reddy's BBQ to remain open.
> Apparently, the landlord wanted an occupant who
> would provide service more days per week - rather
> than the weekends, and upped the rent. All of
> this information was posted on a long note on
> their front door when you would go there.
>
> Fortunately, I had my first and only meal there
> today - so I was able to taste how good their grub
> really was. The pulled pork BBQ was excellent -
> and the sides were, too. Great baked beans with
> two types of beans, bacon, etc.
>
> As far as national chains go, I won't compare
> Reddy's to any of them. However, I've eaten at
> Bubba's BBQ before a few times in Falls Church.
> It happened to be quite a disappointment for me.
> Dry pork - too dry. The sides were boring, etc.
>
> Reddy's ... you will be missed. Hopefully, you'll
> find another location to re-open near Gainesville
> soon. I do promise I'll eat more of your BBQ as
> I'll ensure I have more time in my day to stop and
> enjoy a fine meal.

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: June 13, 2011 09:50AM

Famous Dave's pulled pork may not be the all time best, but it was the best bbq at the Fairfax Fair yesterday after the storm closed most of the other food vendors. Even better was that everything was half off.

Who knew a family of four could eat at the fair for $15?!?

Date: June 13, 2011 10:58AM

Willard's is the same as Blue Ribbon BBQ, and I like it.

Posted by: I Love BBQ ()
Date: June 13, 2011 11:36AM

Realist&* Wrote:
> Reddy's was a roadside place that got people all
> nostalgic but it was very overpriced. Paid 7 to 8
> dollars for one small sized sandwich on a cheap
> hamburger bun. I'm not sorry to see it go.
>
>

Actually, the pulled pork sandwich was $6.40 on the menu. Yes, they used regular hamburger buns. However, they served it open-faced and there was a lot of pork spread over both sections of the roll. Easily, enough meat for 2 sandwiches. Adding 2 sides and a soda brought my total to just a bit over $10.00 - $10.40, or so. I didn't feel as though the prices were overly inflated.

Posted by: Arlingtonkid ()
Date: June 13, 2011 12:31PM

I'm not sure if it is still open, but there was a shack of a place on Old Carolina road off of Route 15 in Gainesville that was pretty good. For chains, I'd say Famous Dave's is above average. Dixie Bones is pretty good too. As someone previously pointed out, Ben's whole hog BBQ was awsome, that old boy that owned it had the right attitude and food. It went down quickly once he sold it which was a shame.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.