HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fire Jack Dale today
Posted by: T ()
Date: February 14, 2011 06:48PM

Ya know who else as "disgruntled"? The Chinese who lived in Nanking in December, 1937. Man did those guys complain about their treatment at the hands of the invading invading Japanese army. Whew, you talk about "disgruntled"!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NotDale'sPuppet ()
Date: February 14, 2011 06:48PM

The jig is up - Jack Dale has pitted community members against eachother to sustain this staff of lawyers and hearing officers -- I mean 'Administrators'. All the while WE ARE THE STAKEHOLDERS. The BOS is nervous about this loose cannon too -
this was in today's Washington Examiner OpEd:

Fairfax supervisors have role in student discipline

At the Feb. 8 regular meeting of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Supervisor Penny Gross and I moved to engage Fairfax County Public Schools and community organizations in a discussion about how to help students and parents turn a FCPS disciplinary action into a learning experience.

Working together, we can do a better job of helping students understand that while there are serious consequences to infractions of school rules, the community is there to help the family cope with the emotional response that may follow and provide an appropriate level of support.

Disciplinary situations, if handled compassionately, can help a child develop a balanced understanding that should ultimately translate into a mature, responsible adult. Lessons can be painful, but they need not result in either the child or family feeling alone in their ability to address the situation and see a path to a hopeful future.

Commandeering FCPS' disciplinary process is not the board's role, but we demonstrated in the past how well we can work together when we created the Fairfax Partnership for Youth. We need to do so again before another precious life is lost.

Supervisor Cathy Hudgins

Hunter Mill District

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/letters-editor/2011/02/letters-editor-feb-14-2011#ixzz1DylzBRgH

Posted by: media is getting it ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:23PM

This issue was the second story on the 6 p.m. news on WUSA TV tonight. Interesting. I don't think it's just a few "disgruntled" people.

Posted by: no zero tolerance for principals ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:31PM

Principal’s ‘Body Magic’ Ad Splits Community
Parents view King’s zero tolerance policies conflict with her error in judgment.

By Gerald A. Fill
Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mt. Vernon High School Principal Nardos King placed a paid advertisement in the 2010 High School Yearbook ("The Surveyor," Vol. 70) that touted the value of purchasing "Body Magic" clothing and nutritional supplement drink products which King sells in her private business. The ad promises users of her products will achieve weight loss, protection from diseases, control blood sugar, and enhance their sex drive.

The ad triggered concern among some Mount Vernon High School parents and caused the Fairfax County Public School System to take an undisclosed personnel action affecting King. Responding to the controversy, Friday, July 9, Dr. Scott Brabrand, the Cluster 4 assistant superintendent, convened an invitation-only meeting of "parents in leadership positions at the school as well as others with an interest in the school," according to FCPS staff. King briefed those present on the circumstances that led to her authorizing and paying for an ad in the yearbook. According to FCPS staff, she apologized at the meeting for including the ad in the yearbook. A few days later King sent an electronically transmitted letter of apology to the Mt. Vernon community.

FOR AT LEAST one group of parents with students now attending Mt. Vernon High School, the advertisement generated anger and a loss of confidence in the principal. Gathering as a group on Sunday, July 18, 10 parents discussed what they believed was the hypocrisy of the principal’s administrative style and zero tolerance policies, including prohibiting so-called energy drinks on school grounds while simultaneously selling a similar energy-related drink through her private business. None of the parents who gathered on Sunday evening would agree to identify themselves fearing reprisals against their children.

Parents attending the meeting said they represented a variety of perspectives, including former Mt. Vernon High School graduates, parents of children with special needs, and parents of honors students. All parents present felt that King operated the school in an extremely rigid manner: "First offenses are dealt with severely and without flexibility" and "students are constantly on heightened alert."

Reflecting the general emotion-charged feelings of the group, one parent shared a letter at the meeting that she wrote to Brabrand expressing her dismay. It states, in part: "I am a parent of a child who has struggled with weight and sexual abuse … To say the least we are struggling from the mental effects all of this has had on her … then, to pick up Mt. Vernon’s yearbook to see that our own principal places an ad in the annual yearbook that relates to weight loss and increasing sexual desire?!?!? Really? … I heard that an apology was made … but I would really like to know what happened to zero tolerance? … Can you share with me if any further action is being taken?"

DESPITE THE CONTROVERSY, King continues to enjoy the support of some community leaders and parents.

Dean Norton, president, MVHS PTA, said, "Ms. King’s yearbook ad is not newsworthy. It is outrageous to think that anyone who knows Ms. King would think that she deliberately put anything in the yearbook which would be controversial. It was a mistake and it is unfortunate that a small group of people would try and bring down an outstanding principal. Corrective action is being taken and we should move on to the more important issue of educating our children."

Mt. Vernon District School Board member Daniel Storck said, "I was very disappointed in the ad, but I don’t think it was deliberate on her part … Ms King has made a positive difference at the school and she has my strong support."

A parent of a rising junior, Jeannette Kraynick said, "I could not be happier at Mt. Vernon High School. I feel my child is safe. During the recent Cluster Superintendent meeting after Ms King explained her story describing how her daughter came to her with the yearbook ad requirement I could see how she reacted as a mom and not a principal. Her daughter was a student at the school and came to her needing to get an ad sold. Ms King approved placing her ad in the yearbook without proofreading it. It was an unfortunate mistake."

Also supporting King, parent Carla Amerau said, "Ms. King is a fantastic principal. She is wonderful with the kids. The students respect her, she is very consistent and, if they go over the line, they know what to expect. … I have a problem with the hidden [hard to read] words but I don’t have a problem with the overall ad. … It is time to drop the issue and move on with life."

Charles Sabatier, chairman of the MVHS Science Department and a seven-year veteran of the school, said, "Ms King is a motivational leader. She is inspirational for the faculty. She always makes decisions based on the needs of the students. On the other hand she is a polarizing figure because she does make tough decisions."

©2010 Connection Newspapers. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy
1606 King Street ♦ Alexandria, VA 22314 ♦ 703-821-5050
Site Design, Development and Hosting by Timberlake Publishing

The Body Magic ad as printed in Mount Vernon High School Yearbook.

Nutrition label for Le’Vive

King’s Letter
Excerpts of Nardos King’s July 16 letter of apology to the Mt. Vernon Community
Dear Mt. Vernon Community:
I am writing you to express my deepest apology for my error in judgment in placing an inappropriate ad in the school yearbook which advertised products that I sell during my personal time. I did not proofread the advertisement before it was published, and the result was devastating to our parents and community … I am grateful that the inappropriate ad was brought to our attention and that this situation has been addressed. No one has taken this matter lightly. The ad should have never made it into the yearbook and it was a mistake that I deeply regret.
You have my commitment that this will never happen again, and we have put practices in place to ensure that this will never happen again. I ask for your understanding and I hope that you will continue to support my efforts as principal of Mt. Vernon High School.

Nardos King
Principal
Mt. Vernon High School

Posted by: Ryu ()
Date: February 14, 2011 08:04PM

What a bunch of miserable lowlife hypocritical scumbags. The Principal sk
Gould be recommended for termination and brought before an appeal officer who has decided against her in advance of the hearing. The same ruthless system she so proudly reigns over.

Posted by: Mount Vernon mounty ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:00PM

no zero tolerance for principals Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nardos King
> Principal
> Mt. Vernon High School

suspends and expels more chlidren than any other principal in the County: 375.

Yet a school with similar demographics, Stuart, had only 91.

What is up with that, Ms King? Care to offer any explanation Mr. Storck?

Posted by: She was not fired ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:05PM

The reason she was NOT fired my have to do with name. Is she black or Hispanic?

Posted by: been there ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:18PM

media is getting it Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This issue was the second story on the 6 p.m. news
> on WUSA TV tonight. Interesting. I don't think
> it's just a few "disgruntled" people.

Yes that station is great at reporting about folks pissed about a parking ticket or somebody with a rat problem,

Posted by: In the NO ()
Date: February 14, 2011 10:02PM

It is nausiating to know so many stories like these. The outcomes are never based on objective, sound reasoning.
My friend has taught w/ FCPS for 13 years and has sponsored/coached extracurricular teams for almost as long. The booster clubs for these kids have raised funds quite well. Soon, Gatehouse came calling... inviting him to work for the Central Offices in FCPS Administration. He would rather stick a needle in his eye, and declined interest in such a transfer.
Countless admonitions from administrative "staff" came, where policies were being developed to strip booster parents of rights to the group's use of funding. Their witch hunt continues, however so many more support him, and he's never said a word about it to his colleagues. It's very, very sad. The effort, time and resources misplaced while we watch a generation digress.

Posted by: T ()
Date: February 15, 2011 12:05AM

The Dale administration has been a nightmare. The collectively behave like a snarling pack of hungry and desperate wolves on the prowl. Get rid of this toxic beast.

Posted by: SOON ()
Date: February 15, 2011 12:53AM

SOON. Very Very SOON. Read & Dream, children. Parents. Teachers. S.O.O.N!

By Kevin D. Thompson Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Post a Comment E-mail Print ShareLarger Type Small Type
For many parents and teachers, it's been a long time coming.

Art Johnson is on his way out.

For 16 months, parents and teachers have railed against the Palm Beach County schools superintendent, saying he has ruled the district with impunity and arrogance.

Now Johnson, under fire and at the center of an investigation stemming from allegations from four parents that he failed to properly supervise Jeffrey Hernandez, the district's former chief academic officer, has been in talks through a representative with school board Chairman Frank Barbieri to negotiate his departure.

"I've been watching him for years not doing right by our schools or our kids," said Kelly Brown, a Lake Worth stay-at-home mother.

Brian Ross, a Boca Raton parent, called Johnson a "consummate insider" and someone who has "squandered" millions of the district's money.

"He has been consistently out of touch and out of step with teachers and with parents," Ross said. "The last election for the school board was a referendum for his ouster."

Thomas Hawkins, a third-grade teacher at S.D. Spady Elementary in Delray Beach, said if Johnson had stayed, he wasn't sure how effective he could be.

"He's brought so much controversy to the district the past two years," Hawkins said. "But I don't think it's the greatest idea to pay him off to leave, especially if the board could do it with cause at a later date and it wouldn't cost the district anything."

If the board fired the 66-year-old Johnson without cause, it would have to pay him half of his $300,000 annual salary. Johnson's contract runs through June 2014. He has served as superintendent since 2001.

Peter Kimball, one of the four parents who initiated the probe against Johnson, declined to comment on Johnson or Barbieri's surprise announcement at Wednesday's school board meeting.

"Our focus continues to be on the investigation," Kimball said.

But Mike Dowling, a social studies teacher at Roosevelt Middle School in West Palm Beach, praised Barbieri's attempt to give Johnson a somewhat dignified exit.

"He's working to negotiate so we can end this without any more drama," Dowling said.

But Hawkins said the timing of Johnson's departure could not be worse.

With the district's looming budget crisis, the investigation of Johnson for possible misconduct and the start of legislative session next month, losing a superintendent now could hurt the district, Hawkins said.

"The legislative session is huge," Hawkins said. "It's critically important that we have a strong, unified voice to express our displeasure with what they're doing (in Tallahassee) and try to shape some of the legislation. Without a superintendent, I'm not sure we can do that."

Dawne DiGioia, a Boca Raton mother, also disagreed with the timing.

"I think it's terrible," DiGioia said. "There's enough turmoil. They should've let him finish the year out."

She also wondered why the school board would consider firing Johnson after it voted to let the district pay a Miami consulting firm to audit the embattled superintendent.

"The district just (threw away) $38,000," DiGioia said.

Even if Johnson resigns or is fired, the district is saying -- for now -- the investigation by RSM McGladrey will continue.

"I haven't heard anything differently," said Lung Chiu, a district auditor.

Ellen Blatt, an English teacher at William T. Dwyer High in Palm Beach Gardens, wondered why Johnson would resign now.

"Why would he be offering up his exit if he did nothing wrong?" Blatt asked.

A call to Hernandez seeking comment about Johnson's departure wasn't returned.

Lisa Goldman, co-creator of Testing Is Not Teaching, the popular Facebook site widely credited with getting parents and teachers together to discuss education issues and keeping the pressure on Johnson, also declined to comment about the superintendent's eventual departure.

In a statement, Goldman said TINT is looking forward to helping "our children through some difficult times with a new superintendent."

Michael Howard, another parent who called for the Johnson investigation, Wednesday night posted on the Facebook site, Root for Education, that he's hopeful the district is heading in the right direction.

"I believe that the right leadership will bring the administration, teachers, and parents together and harness all of this energy we have invested over the past two years," Howard wrote. "And when that happens, the School District of Palm Beach County will become an example of what can happen when all the pieces come together."

kevin_thompson@pbpost.com

Posted by: reader ()
Date: February 15, 2011 07:48AM

I could not find a date on this below--but I think his contract has been renewed since this was written......I love the quote about his vision aligning with the school board vision...26 days of vacation???? really? compensation tied to increase in district compensation? no wonder he wants to give teachers a raise!

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=11651

A contractual pat on the back is just what happened to Jack Dale, superintendent of Fairfax County Public Schools in Falls Church, Virginia. Dale was hired in 2004 to run the school system of 164,000 students, and his contract wasn’t up until 2008. But this past December his board voted to extend his deal well into 2010 to show its continued support. Under the new agreement, Dale’s annual salary would remain $266,292—one of the highest base salaries for a school superintendent in the Washington, D.C., area. The deal includes 26 days of vacation, maximum contributions to 403B and 457 plans, and an annual salary increase pegged to the percentage given to other district employees, which means he won’t have to negotiate future raises. Dale says that at 57, one of the most important benefits to him is the retirement plan, and the fact that Fairfax County had a decent retirement system played a hand in his original decision to move to the district.

But there are other, nonmonetary factors that Dale made sure to weigh. “A vision aligned with the school board’s vision is priceless,†he said with a laugh. “One of the things I’ve learned is the power of having a shared vision.†He’s a big fan of the rich cultural community available to him by living so near the capital, too. And Dale is concerned with his own intellectual growth. That is why he has structured a deal in which he can use his leave time to pick up consulting work and speak at conferences. “That’s less financial than a way to keep my finger in things and to work with other superintendents,†he explains.

Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: February 15, 2011 07:52AM

“A vision aligned with the school board’s vision is priceless,†he said with a laugh. “

*rolls eyes* What was that?

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: February 15, 2011 08:01AM

Everyone willing to Jack Dale's job & lets say half the salary - $133K/per year and half the vacation - 13 days per year - and who think you can do a better job, please form a line in front of Gatehouse. I will come down and count the the applicants and accept resumes and report back.

Posted by: I have a bridge to sell you if you believe this ()
Date: February 15, 2011 10:03AM

And Dale is concerned with his own intellectual growth. That is why he has structured a deal in which he can use his leave time to pick up consulting work and speak at conferences. “That’s less financial than a way to keep my finger in things and to work with other superintendents,†he explains.

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: February 15, 2011 11:13AM

Any idea who he consults with?

Posted by: Dale is a dope ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:04PM

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES, guys. Wake up.

Dale was a math teacher who schmoozed his way up to superintendent of Frederick County MD. He did a mediocre job there and they were thrilled to see him go.

Why on earth does the supposed BEST school district in the country hire this loser?

It boggles the mind.

He had added no value and he has managed to humiliate this school district countless times in the press.

His departure will be a new beginning for this school district.

Posted by: reader ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:12PM

from bio on FCPS website:

Together with the Fairfax County School Board, Dr. Dale has developed belief statements, affirming that Fairfax County Public Schools believes in "our children," "our teachers," "our public education system," and "our community." These statements have been translated into a vision for the school system that includes student goals in academics, essential life skills, and responsibility to the community, as well as operational expectations for the school system administration. These elements come together in the school system's mission statement: "Fairfax County Public Schools, a world-class school system, inspires, enables, and empowers students to meet high academic standards, lead ethical lives, and demonstrate responsible citizenship

http://www.fcps.edu/supt/suptoff/

Posted by: Throw him out! ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:22PM

He is worthless. Who would want to see him give a seminar? What is he going to talk about? How only two kids in his large school system have killed themselves because of his strict policy on zero tolerance? Maybe he will talk about shutting down an award winning elementary school.

Jack Dale please leave before you do any more damage!

Posted by: make up your mind, Jack ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:24PM

When President Bush signed the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) into law in January 2002, he set in motion
sweeping changes in the realm of public education. No state, no school system, no classroom is exempt from the
profound implications of this far-reaching legislation, which redoubles the federal government’s role in education.

“It is impossible to argue with the act’s fundamental purpose: To close the achievement
gap between economically disadvantaged, disabled and minority students and their peers,â€
according to Dr. Jack Dale, superintendent of Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS).
“That’s more than noble — it’s essential.â€

I thought Dale hated NCLB??!!

Posted by: Dale on FAIRGRADE ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:27PM

Fairfax County Public Schools
Ask the Superintendent ...

Jack D. Dale
Superintendent, Fairfax County Public Schools
Thursday, May 25, 2006; 1:00 PM

Alexandria, Va.: FCPS uses a grading system where an A is 94-100 and is worth 4 points, and a B+ is 90-93 and is worth 3.5 points, and so on. So the GPA of a FCPS student who routinely struggles for grades of 93 or 83 will be markedly lower than the GPA for a similar student in another school system. Also, FCPS gives no weighted credit for honors classes. With the competition stiffer than ever for college, how can FCPS continue to justify a system that makes many FCPS students look worse, on paper, than their peers from other districts?

Jack D. Dale: We have reviewed our grading system and how colleges view our grading system. We find our students are not discriminated against in any way. In fact colleges compete for our graduates.

Oh, really????

Posted by: Madison High School ()
Date: February 15, 2011 07:09PM

Minutes of Vienna-Madison Community Coalition General Meeting

Wed., Sept. 29, 2010
7:00-8:30pm

Church of the Good Shepherd
2351 Hunter Mill Road
Vienna, VA

III. Discussion about Drug Use by Madison Students

A number of parents with children in the Madison pyramid of schools attended the meeting to share their concerns about drugs and alcohol use by students attending Madison High School. Perceptions shared by parents at the meeting included marijuana being smoked in bathrooms, drug deals occurring on campus, and athletic teams being held to a different standard than other students with regard to possession of drugs and alcohol. Parents noted that students not engaged in using drugs do not feel supported due to lack of enforcement of school rules. Parents enabling use of drugs was also mentioned. It was agreed that parents need to ban together to ensure a drug-free environment for our youth.

Discussion about the FCPS Student Responsibilities and Rights (SRR) followed. Diane Eckert from the FCPS Student Safety and Wellness Office was able to shed light on the SRR and possible next steps to address drug and alcohol issues at Madison. The SRR applies during the school day and the FCPS Extracurricular and Co-curricular Program Student Participation Policy applies to students involved in Madison sports teams and co-curricular activities both on and off school grounds. Both policies, consistent with Virginia law, prohibit a person under 21 from possessing, using, selling, giving or otherwise transmitting or being under the influence of any illegal drug or alcoholic beverage.

It was generally agreed by the attendees that a meeting with Madison’s Principal Mark Merrell, the Director of Student Services, Director and Assistant Director of Student Activities, the SRO, the Cluster 2 Director, Assistant Superintendent for Cluster 2, and Leslie Roberts (a drug prevention specialist from ADYS) in the near future was in order to discuss:
1. Concerns about drug and alcohol use by Madison students
2. School policy and procedures for addressing drugs on campus, and
3. How Madison H.S., parents, VMCC, FCPD, and others in the community can work together to provide a drug-free environment at school and in homes for our youth.

It was also agreed that we need to come into the meeting with some constructive ideas for ways that parents can help including monitoring students during social and sports events, providing information to parents, helping to reinforce proper respect by students, training of team managers and teachers, and helping parents know where to turn for help. Parents want an action plan that includes benchmarks for assessment of progress along the way.

A possible date for the meeting is Wed., Oct. 13 at 7pm in Warhawk Hall at Madison High School. It was agreed that Sara Freund would request the meeting.

A second step would be to hold a forum on the consequences of violating laws and school policies prohibiting possession of marijuana, alcohol and other drugs by students. There is a feeling that students are not bearing the consequences for their actions and that the whole Madison school community needs a recommitment to the uniform enforcement of zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol.

In the future, we could also bring in speakers for the students such as Chris Skinner, Danny McCoy, or John Halligan.

When asked about other issues of concern to parents, the parents mentioned underage and binge drinking, bullying, and use of vulgar, inappropriate language by students and some school staff.

Sara Freund alerted attendees to a letter currently in the mail to parents of all FCPS high school students to make them aware of local underage drinking data, laws, negative outcomes associated with underage drinking, and ways they can provide structure and guidance for their high school students. The current Parents Who Host, Lose the Most fact card distributed at the meeting was also mailed with the letter.

Posted by: chainyanker ()
Date: February 15, 2011 07:14PM

It's obvious Madison High and Jack Dale have failed the community given the reported drug use!

Time for a REAL zero tolerance policy!

Fire Jack Dale for being soft on crime!

Posted by: No ZT in FCPS ()
Date: February 15, 2011 07:16PM

From Herndon Middle School-

Rules, Rules & More Rules
Being in Middle School means more independence for your child, but the SR&R still applies. Students sign the SR&R (Student’s Rights and Responsibilities) contract at the start of each school year. This lists out all the rules for attending HMS and FCPS schools. Below is a short list of the most common issues we encounter here at HMS.
Dress Code:

Zero Tolerance for Bullying/Harassment: HMS will not tolerate any form of bullying or harassment. Students can be expelled for such behavior. If your student experiences bullying or harassment of any kind, report it to the main office.
For an

Posted by: How did it go? ()
Date: February 15, 2011 07:39PM

How did it go at the meeting at Madison? Did parents attend? How many kids were held without a parents consent at this school before due process? I think more info is needed.

I would rather have a child proved innocent and not be then a child be held in jail who should not be held.

Let's have some common sense. These are not weapons violations but mostly pot related. I can go on and on about why pot should be more legal but bear in mind these are the youth of today. Pot seems a lot more safe then the shit they are on now.

Talk about it but if it was your kid you would want a proper due process. FCPS needs to change the zero policy it has in place now.

Posted by: and the winner is... ()
Date: February 15, 2011 08:47PM

Time is up for the ZEROS who continue to BULLY the TOLERANT STAKEHOLDERS!!! Dale and company actively court members of the Chamber of Commerce for "the Foundation" which has alot to do with this clown's career path out of Fredrick and into Fairfax. Asswipe.

Posted by: SCParent ()
Date: February 16, 2011 04:41AM

What is the history of this fuck up?

What is the real drop out rate in FCPS? 30%, 40%

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.