HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Northern Region Standings, Tournament Time Next Week
Posted by: northern region fanatic ()
Date: February 09, 2011 10:25AM

Concorde District

Team Overall District
Herndon 18-2 9-0
Chantilly 17-4 8-1
Westfield 11-9 4-5
Robinson 11-10 2-7
Oakton 3-18 3-6
Centreville 5-16 1-8

Patriot District

Team Overall District
T.C. Williams 16-5 11-2
Lake Braddock 12-8 10-3
Annandale 14-6 9-4
South County 12-9 7-6
Woodson 12-9 7-6
West Potomac 12-9 6-8
West Springfield 3-16 2-11
Lee 1-17 0-13

National District

Team Overall District
Edison 16-4 11-2
Mount Vernon 14-5 10-3
Yorktown 14-7 10-3
Washington-Lee 10-10 8-5
Falls Church 5-15 5-8
Wakefield 7-14 4-9
Hayfield 4-17 3-10
Stuart 2-18 1-12

Liberty District

Team Overall District
Langley 14-7 12-1
McLean 13-8 9-4
South Lakes 11-9 9-4
Fairfax 11-10 8-5
Jefferson 11-9 7-6
Madison 6-14 4-9
Stone Bridge 4-17 3-10
Marshall 3-18 0-13

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Northern Region Standings, Tournament Time Next Week
Posted by: my top 5 ()
Date: February 09, 2011 05:20PM

Here are my top 5 in the region:

1. Edison (seen them play twice, most untalked about good team in the region)
2. TC Williams
3. Chantilly
4. Herndon
5. Annandale

I don't see anyone outside these five having a shot at the region title this year.

Posted by: my top 5 is on crack ()
Date: February 16, 2011 11:44AM

How can you put Edison as the TOP team in the Northern Region? You must be on crack or be a player, coach, or parent of someone at Edison. No way Edison is top 5. I'm okay with the other 4. Here are others that would most likely beat Edison in tournament play: Langley, Mount Vernon, Westfield, Lake Braddock, Woodson, and possibly McLean.

Posted by: Correction ()
Date: February 16, 2011 11:55AM

Chantilly has lost twice to Herndon. Herndon has to be the favorite to win the Concorde Tournament.

TC is definitely the team to beat. I don't see many than can run with them for 4qtrs. TC will win the Region!!

Edison, that has to be a joke. I know they have good athletes, but not fundamentally sound to play a full game. Especially to be consistant enought to win the Region.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 09:43PM

When you say Langley, Mount Vernon, Westfield, Lake Braddock, Woodson, and possibly McLean.

Edison is real good and at the top of their district. They already beat Langley this year, open your eyes they are very dangerous. Another team that doesn't get talked about much is Yorktown they got scorers galore and took Chantilly to ot.

For the Concorde, when you say Herndon has to be favored because they won the first two times, I think if anything that's why you favor Chantilly. With two elite teams it is very rare for one to win three games, and the refs will not call all those flops Herndon does after tapes have been sent in to the referee association.

I agree with those rankings completely. Edison is having a great year and was the best team the game I saw them play and I have seen all 7 below, but lack of big game experience might do them in. TC Williams plays undisciplined and I can easily see them losing this year, this is not the TC of the last 4 years even though they've had a very good season. I still think Chantilly is better than Herndon, and do agree Woodson could crack the top 5. No Liberty District team is capable of making a run this year.

This is the rankings based on the order of talent for the region imho, I'd be shocked if a team outside of these 7 were in the final four.

1. Edison (seen them play twice, most untalked about good team in the region)
2. TC Williams
3. Chantilly
4. Herndon
5. Annandale
6. Yorktown
7. Woodson

Posted by: Hoopla ()
Date: February 16, 2011 11:01PM

Hmm..I'm excited to see how things shape up. steve k2,,,you seem to know an awful lot about the northern region...are there any other forums where people talk about NR bball?? VA preps (at least the free section) is mostly ER and CR talk, and this site doesn't discuss a whole lot either.

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: February 17, 2011 07:45AM

I saw Edison play once and was impressed. I haven't seen the other teams though so don't know how they might compare.

Edison has this one kid, don't know his name, he wasn't extemely skilled but was relentless, ran the floor, played extremely hard on D, and could score around the basket. They have one big kid who is a liability though, he's big alright but slow and doesn't get up and down the court like the rest of the team does. He does have some skill around the hoop.

I would think a team with some good big guys could give him trouble, maybe the other guy I mentioned first could make up for it though.

I saw Edison against Mt. Vernon. I would wonder if a disciplined well coached team, like Chantilly usually is, could give them trouble. I'm only basing that on what I've seen in years past with Chantilly because I haven't seen them play recently.

Posted by: Indeed ()
Date: February 18, 2011 08:27AM

Well another one bites the dust.

Edison out of the district and regional tournament!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/18/AR2011021800239.html

Date: February 18, 2011 08:34AM

That's amazing. Don't coaches check grades at the end of a semester? Unless it was some other reason for not being eligible.

You can bet that the Edison parents will blame everyone but the school officials, the coach, the AD, etc.

Date: February 18, 2011 09:43AM

slubdawg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's amazing. Don't coaches check grades at the
> end of a semester? Unless it was some other reason
> for not being eligible.
>
> You can bet that the Edison parents will blame
> everyone but the school officials, the coach, the
> AD, etc.

Well that's a bummer, for the second straight year a top team is forced to forefit. Even more hillarious, Falls Church is now in a district championship game after losing by 33, that will be a bad game.

Chantilly-Herndon should be the game to be at tonight. 8:45pm @ Chantilly. Last night's Chantilly-Westfield was one of the best hs game finishes I've ever seen.

Hoopla, I don't have much information for you, there isn't a great northern region forum that I would pay for, but max preps is okay I hear.

Posted by: Basketball Guy ()
Date: February 18, 2011 10:23AM

Bad showing again by the Northern Region for allowing this to happen once again. When will the people involved step up to make sure this is not a continuous problem in the future?

You said last nights CHS vs WF game was one of the best finishes? Care to share? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: No Bull Here ()
Date: February 18, 2011 10:26AM

Does GameDay have message boards that people use? Their reporting is usually good, but they have an Ashburn bias (not suprising given their roots) that creeps into a lot of their announcers.

Chantilly Westfield final had lots of twists and turns. Both teams missed free throws that kep the other in play.

Posted by: Tonight tonight ()
Date: February 18, 2011 11:58AM

Should be two incredible games tonight. Annandale vs. T.C. at Lake Braddock, and Herndon vs. Chantilly, at Chantilly. Those are the top 4 teams in the region and either game could go either way.

Too bad about Edison. When "my top 5" said Edison as the best, well we will never know now because they can't get the grades to play. Too bad so sad.

Posted by: Tonight ()
Date: February 18, 2011 12:15PM

Based on this happening 2 years in a row - the standards should be higher than passing 5 out of 7 classes. This is high school for pete's sake. How can you fail unless you are doing nothing? I dont believe the Northern Region has sent too many players on that make their living playing hoops. You should have to be passing all your classes every quarter to be eligible. Period.

Date: February 18, 2011 03:50PM

Basketball Guy Wrote:
> Bad showing again by the Northern Region for
> allowing this to happen once again. When will the
> people involved step up to make sure this is not a
> continuous problem in the future?
>
> You said last nights CHS vs WF game was one of the
> best finishes? Care to share? Thanks in advance.

Well being a big rival I'm a bit bias, but Westfield was up 4 with 40 seconds to go, not looking good for Chantilly. Manning got fouled and made the first missed the second. Westfield didn't box out however and we got the ball back and scored a layup. After a timeout Westfield threw a lazy pass Chantilly got and Chantilly got fouled making it a 1 and 1 situation. Ballam hit both freethrows and just like that Chantilly was up 1 in about 5 seconds time.

From there Westfield had a possession and drew a fould with about 12 seconds to go, missed both freethrows, Chantilly got fouled on a one and one and missed the front end and Westfield had a look at a layup to win the game but missed it as Manning altered the shot at the buzzer.

Date: February 19, 2011 06:23PM

Congratulations to the Northern Region District Champions:

Herndon Hornets (Concorde)
Langley Saxons (Liberty)
Mount Vernon (National)
TC Williams (Patriot)

The Northern Region First Round is set in stone with all games being played Monday night at 7:30pm at the higher seed.

Fairfax (L4) @ Mount Vernon (N1)
Falls Church (N3) @ South Lakes (L2)
Lake Braddock (P3) @ Chantilly (C2)
Mclean (L3) @ Yorktown (N2)
Oakton (C4) @ TC Williams (P1)
WT. Woodson (P4) @ Herndon (C1)
Washington Lee (N4) @ Langley (L1)
Westfield (C3) @ Annandale (P2)

Predictions:
Fairfax in the upset
South Lakes with a blowout
Chantilly in a close game
Yorktown in a close game
TC Williams with a blowout
Herndon in a close game
Langley in a close game
Annandale with a blowout

Posted by: big bonghitter ()
Date: February 19, 2011 11:04PM

what sport are we talkin here?

Posted by: Wakethefuckup ()
Date: February 19, 2011 11:39PM

big bonghitter Wrote:
> what sport are we talkin here?

basketball, dipshit

Posted by: @ Steve K2 ()
Date: February 20, 2011 02:32PM

no way Fairfax beats MountVernon, Liberty district is terrible so i could see all of their teams except maybe Langly losing, and the only Concord district team I see losing 1st round is Oakton, I think Westfield could surprise some people

Posted by: stuart student :( ()
Date: February 20, 2011 02:46PM

Predictions:
Mount Vernon in a close one, the previous message said the Liberty District is down this year, but this also the worst I've ever seen the National District, and with no Edison this year this game is really a toss up.

South Lakes with a blowout: luckiest team in the region getting Falls Church in a playoff game.

Chantilly in a blow out. This will be the senior's last game at Chantilly and they will go out with a bang. Coming off a tough loss to Herndon I can't see Lake Braddock staying competitive.

Yorktown in a close game-agreed.

TC Williams with a blowout-agreed.
Herndon in a close game-agreed. Concorde and Patriot District are matched up in the first round and the Patriot is by far the strongest district depth wise. But Herndon and Chantilly can both take anyone out in that district with a good game.

Langley in a blow out. They are playing soundly right now and score with ease.

Annandale with a close win-terrible matchup for Westfield. Speed and constant ball pressure at their place. To the last message, they are a good team, but I don't think this is a good matchup at all for them.

Posted by: Northern Region Update ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:57PM

As the early scores come in, TC Williams beat Oakton by 20.

And the shocker, Lake Braddock beat Chantilly at the buzzer. Chantilly came into the game with no heart whatsoever and did everything to blow the game, stupid fouls the whole 4th quarter, a technical in the final minute and then with .8 seconds left on the inbound, so obvious it was a lob situation Chantilly didn't get their other two 7 footers in the game to defend the lob. Terrible job by everyone involved, and they fell to a letdown from the Herndon game. Just very disappointed as a Chantilly fan, a waste of a year for a great senior class that played with no heart and didn't want it today...

Post the other scores if anyone knows.

Posted by: FAN ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:04PM

SL won tonight 61-53
Herndon won tonight 66-61 (i think for the score)
Annandale beat westfield

Posted by: Pilchard ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:10PM

Langley won by 30. They caught a break with Chantilly's loss.

Date: February 21, 2011 10:14PM

Unbelievable loss.

(1) Herndon defeated (4) Woodson 66-61
(1) Mt. Vernon defeated (4) Fairfax 77-63
(1) TC Williams defeated (4) Oakton 52-32
(2) South Lakes defeated (3) Falls Church 61-53
(3) Lake Braddock defeated (2) Chantilly 54-52
(2) Annandale defeated (3) Westfield 73-71

Still awaiting results from
(4) Washington and Lee @ (1) Langley
(3) Mclean @ (2) Yorktown

I assume the two higher seeds advanced.

Date: February 22, 2011 07:00AM

(2) Yorktown defeated (3) Mclean 74-42
(1) Langley defeated (4) W&L convincingly (no score given)

So congratulations to the final 8:
(1) Herndon, (1) Langley, (1) Mount Vernon, (1) TC Williams
(2) South Lakes, (2) Annandale, (2) Yorktown
(3) Lake Braddock

Anyone have the quarterfinal matchups, I for the life of me cannot find a bracket anywhere.

Posted by: Northern Region Quarter Finals ()
Date: February 22, 2011 07:25AM

All games take place Wednesday.

(2) Annandale @ (1) Mount Vernon
(2) South Lakes @ (1) Herndon
(2) Yorktown @ (1) TC Williams
(3) Lake Braddock @ (1) Langley

Prediction
(2) Annandale beats (1) Mount Vernon in a blowout
(1) Herndon beats (2) South Lakes comfortably
(1) TC Williams beats (2) Yorktown in a very close game----game of Wednesday night
(1) Langley beats (3) Lake Braddock in a route

Date: February 22, 2011 09:11AM

Saw the Mt. Vernon/Fairfax game last night. MV won of course, but I recall reading the thread about the Fairfax coach;. I'd have to say that he did about as good a job as a coach could do. Played a box and 1 on MV's best scorer , slowed the game down, and got his players good looks at the basket on offense, MV was just too quick and athletic.

MV plays with no thyme or reason and if they didn't get turnovers off their pressure and just outrun another team they didn't really have any offense to rely on. At least that's the way it looked from seeing 1 game. Havne't seen Annandale so have no idea how they might match up.

On the other hand I had the opportunity to see O'Connel and Dematha play on Friday night, man those teams just play at a different level than the few Northern Region teams I've seen play this year. O'Connel won but it was one of the better high school basketball games I've seen. Granted the talent level was higher than most public schools but they also played with an intensity that most local schools would not match. And, as hard as they played, guys on the floor for loose balls, and battles for rebounds but there was no woofing, in your face, or stare downs, or whatever. I heard more arguing in the stands between adult O'Connel/Dematha supporters than anything on the floor.

And O'Connel has this freshman guard that is going to be amazing!

Posted by: Don't forget the ladies ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:52PM

Ladies Scores
Annandale (P4) 38 @ Oakton (C1) 66
Centreville (c3) 43 @ TC Williams (P2) 50
Fairfax (L4) 48 @ Edison (N1) 65
Hayfield (N4) 30 @ Stone Bridge (L1) 43
Mclean (L3) 57 @ Mount Vernon (N2) 69
South County (P3) 30 @ Robinson (c2) 53
Westfield (C4) 25 @ West Springfield (P1) 45
Yorktown (N3) 41 @ Madison (L2) 51

Posted by: No one cares about girls basketball ()
Date: February 23, 2011 06:49AM

No one cares about girls basketball. Don't even try to compare girls to boys basketball or any other sport for that matter. Waste of time.

Posted by: ladies basketball ()
Date: February 23, 2011 09:57AM

No one's comparing. It is two different games. But both have their pluses and minuses and I'm sure a lot of people do care.

Posted by: No one cares about girls basketball ()
Date: February 23, 2011 11:48AM

Nobody cares still.

Posted by: dixie rex ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:43PM

what the hell happened to Lee? they were just in the region semis a few years ago

Date: February 23, 2011 10:16PM

Northern Region Update

(C1) Herndon defeated (L2) South Lakes
(P2) Annandale 70 @ (N1) Mount Vernon 51
(P3) Lake Braddock 56 @ (L1) Langley 58
No score submitted: (N2) Yorktown @ (P1) TC Williams

Congratulations to the final four

Semi-Finals (Both games played at Robinson Secondary School)
3pm: (P2) Annandale vs. (L1) Langley
6pm: (C1) Herndon vs. (P1) TC Williams*

*I'm sure it's a given they won tonight.

Posted by: Hammering Hank Slammer ()
Date: February 24, 2011 06:41AM

Anyone have details of the Lake Braddock vs. Langley game or the Herndon vs. South Lakes? Annandale looked phenomenal last night against a mediocre at best, Mount Vernon team. I'm guessing Regional final will be Annandale vs. T.C. Williams, which would be their 4th time playing. They split during regular season, TC won in district final.

Date: February 24, 2011 12:10PM

Langley has won something like 16 of the their last 17 games. Granted those wins primarily against weak Liberty District teams, but Langley never has a ton of talent; yet, their coach always has them playing great at this time of year (3rd Northern Regional Semifinal in the last 4 years; Langley has won their last 2 NR semi-final games 2008 and 2010). Neither team has size; so, the Annandale v. Langley game will likely come down to which team shoots the best from the perimeter.

Posted by: Spectator ()
Date: February 24, 2011 12:26PM

Lake Braddock dominated the first half with their run-and-jump against Langley, building a 38-22 lead and with the ball going into the end of the first half. They turned it over with 4 seconds to go and Austin Vasiliadis nailed a bank shot from half-court to trim the lead to 13 and give Langley some momentum going into the break.

Langley shifted to a diamond and one press (which they rarely use) in the second half and slowly chipped away to come all the way back and get the win through some excellent defensive play by Jeff Cochran and great midrange shooting from Brendan Dwyer. Braddock had their chances to win but missed a barrage of contested layups that could have maintained their lead.

Great atmosphere with large crowds for both schools.

Posted by: another spectator ()
Date: February 24, 2011 12:45PM

Pilchard Wrote:
> Langley has won something like 16 of the their
> last 17 games. Granted those wins primarily
> against weak Liberty District teams, but Langley
> never has a ton of talent; yet, their coach always
> has them playing great at this time of year (3rd
> Northern Regional Semifinal in the last 4 years;
> Langley has won their last 2 NR semi-final games
> 2008 and 2010). Neither team has size; so, the
> Annandale v. Langley game will likely come down to
> which team shoots the best from the perimeter.

The part where you say they don't have much talent each year is laughable. Are you kidding? They have three or four fantastic players every year. This year Adams, Vasiliadis and Dixon are 3 of the best players in the region.

Coach Hess does do a great job though, 4 straight district titles and 3 northern region final fours, so I give props to the man. No one was close talent wise in the district this year though.

The game against Lake Braddock, Langley dodged a bullet as Lake Braddock stopped going to their big man and missed a ton of freethrows in the second half.

Date: February 24, 2011 05:12PM

When was the last Langley basketball player to get a D-1 offer? Realize that the private schools snap up most of the D-1 talent in NOVA, but there are at least a few D-1 players in the region (Manning - St. Louis; Schoof - American), and none have played for Langley in recent years. BTW, I am a fan of the program.

Posted by: another spectator ()
Date: February 24, 2011 05:39PM

When was the last time anyone in the Liberty had D1 players? I'm just saying they have higher skilled players and a deeper roster than most of their opponents. A fact that surely can't be denied. This team is also almost all juniors and has a lot of size coming through the program right now, they're going to be amazing next year.

Posted by: Hey hey hey ()
Date: February 24, 2011 10:14PM

Anyone who honestly thinks Langley has a chance against Annandale is insane. Annandale is going to wipe the floor with them. Now the TC Herndon game should be electrifying. Any kids going to public schools in Northern Region that get to DI level usually don't play anyways. Who was the last Northern Region player to go DI and be a stud in college or even just start as a freshman???

Posted by: Some public school success ()
Date: February 24, 2011 11:34PM

Scottie Reynolds of Herndon. Ben Wheeler of Chantilly. Eric Hayes at Maryland. The kid from Annandale playing at Northeastern.

Posted by: dont forget the ladies ()
Date: February 25, 2011 12:42AM

It's ashame the best two girls teams are meeting in the semis and only one will advance to states, but Friday night 8pm...

West Springfield (22-1,14-0) vs. Oakton (22-1, 10-0)

A dog fight featuring 6 of the top 7 girls in the northern region, that's why they're both so good and both average nearly 30 point wins.

Date: February 25, 2011 06:51AM

Forgot about Reynolds. Where did Wheeler play? Doesn't ring a bell, so some college stats would help to see if he was a stud in college.

What HS did Hayes go to? He's decent.

What kid from Annanadale? No name isn't promoting him as a college stud.

So far it sounds like 1 to 1 and 1/2 kids from here. Out of all the kids playing in the NR, that's got to be like 1% or less.

Posted by: some more info ()
Date: February 25, 2011 08:54AM

Eric Hayes-Potomac High School

Ben Wheeler-Chantilly High School. Team Captian at Lafyette, not a tremendous scorer but still a D1 player.

The kid from Annandale didn't work out academically.

Anthony Winbush is at Loyola. Led TC Williams to a state championship and is putting up real good numbers there.

Justin May of Chantilly is playing for Delaware State.

Mo Hubbard of Westfield is playing for Ball State.

Date: February 25, 2011 09:58AM

Potomac High School is Northwest Region, not Northern Region.
Lafyette is a non-scholarship school (academic), so that doesn't count.
Kid from Annandale out now that you can't get a name and he couldn't make it academcially when they basically have tutors do the work for the students that are studs.
Winbush - okay. Decent there, but it is Loyola.
Justin May - not bad, Delaware State isn't exactly big time either.
Mo Hubbard, Ball State - again, not big time.

So far, Scottie Reynolds from Northern Region is only guy mentioned who was a true stud, being a major player for a Big East team. Again, this puts us back to 1% or less or Northern Region public school players who make it big time in college.

Posted by: tmill9 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:32AM

This goes back a ways but:

Michael Jackson, played it South Lakes and started on the Georgetown National Championship team

Grant Hill also from South Lakes, Duke, NBA

Joey Beard also from South Lakes, Duke then transferred to Boston University

Chris Lewis played at TJ then Harvard (although not a scholarship school, still D1)

There were also several guys from West Potomac that played at D1 schools, just can't recall their names right now.

Frank Smith, Mt. Vernon played at ODU

Eric Brent, Mt. Vernon, played at JMU

Tim Kearney, Marshall, played at WVU

Derek Steele, played at Mt. Vernon then JMU (and almost beat UNC when Michael Jordan played there in NCAA tournament)

And going way, way back, Marty Lentz played at Mt Vernon then WVU

Posted by: Hello again ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:44AM

How can anyone forget the Franklins from Chantilly? Both D-1 players. David Herbster played for Tech in the 80s. Tim Fudd played at American with Daryl Franklin. All Chantilly guys.

Etherlee was the one from Annandale mentioned a few threads ago.

Tommy Amaker, Pat Witting, Olivero, all from WTW. D-I players.

Bart Lammersen- Stanford. Grant Lammersen- William and Mary. Both from Madison.

Jerome Scott from South Lakes played at Miami.

Date: February 25, 2011 10:52AM

Good stuff Hello Again.

How about Chris Knocke from WTW, played and then coached at American.

Man, how could anyone forget Tommy Amaker, seriously, played in national championship game against Louisville, was named National Defensive Player of the Year!

As I recall there were 2 Oliverios. One went to Indiana and if memory serves me he got hurt his fresman year and trasferred, that was Gabe I think, then Dave played at American.

Oh Yeah, there was another WTW guy named Pecorak or something like that, played at Davidson, and actually had a NBA tryout.

Peter ???, damn can't remember his name, palyed at WTW then Maryland.

Date: February 25, 2011 10:58AM

I was just rereading these lists, and look at the amazing players that came out of WTW and South Lakes, and to think WTW never even won a regional championship and South Lakes never won a state championship.

At least Chantilly has won a couple of regional titles.

Posted by: Snowman ()
Date: February 25, 2011 11:04AM

Here are more recent names:

Mike Davis - TC Williams - Illinois
Glenn Andrews - TC Williams - Tulsa

Date: February 25, 2011 11:10AM

Also noticed a recent Langley graduate on a D-1 roster

Barrett Hunter - Langley - Tulsa

Date: February 25, 2011 11:39AM

Good stuff. Didn't know we were going so far back. Thought we were keeping it recent since all the playa's go private now. Great lists though with great players. Too bad it isn't like this anymore.

Posted by: Hello Again ()
Date: February 25, 2011 01:16PM

Slubdawg- Pete Holbert is who you are thinking of. GREAT player at WTW. Also, Fernando Aunon at Stuart. Going way back, Jim O'Brien at Stuart played for Maryland (pre-Lefty Driesell)

Holbert's dream was to play at Maryland, but he was just too slow to ever be an impact player. Lefty loved him but he just never was good enough to play significant minutes. Gary Williams really wanted him to play for him at American, where he would have been a star, but Holbert thought he was an ACC player and Maryland was his dream.

Richard Wilson, a '79 grad of McLean, played at Davidson.

Kenya Hunter played for Duquesne. He went to Wakefield and beat Grant Hill in the 1990 region title game.

SirValiant Brown of Lee, who played at GW.

I got more. Just give me some time to think. Fun chat......

Posted by: How about... ()
Date: February 25, 2011 02:31PM

Michael Horton of TC played starting PG at Cinncinnati as did his backcourt mate Daymond Jackson played backup guard at Georgetown.
Coby Turner of Lee had good years at Dayton.
Bobby Huntley also of Lee played at Lincoln.
Ronnell Felton from Hayfield at Niagra. His brother Cornell Felton played at Samford.
Steve Miles of Hayfield played at American.

Posted by: reality dose ()
Date: February 25, 2011 02:39PM

slubdawg Wrote:
> I was just rereading these lists, and look at the
> amazing players that came out of WTW and South
> Lakes, and to think WTW never even won a regional
> championship and South Lakes never won a state
> championship.
>
> At least Chantilly has won a couple of regional
> titles.

Chantilly has 1, the year the two strongest teams Hayfield and TC Williams were not in the tournament for rules violations.

Agreed though that WTW should have a couple region titles to show for themselves.

Posted by: Hello Again ()
Date: February 25, 2011 03:40PM

Wrong Reality Dose. Chantilly has 2 region titles: 1991 and 2010.

Posted by: reality dose ()
Date: February 25, 2011 03:52PM

You got me, but 1991 was 20 years ago, hardly counts now.

Date: February 25, 2011 03:59PM

More recent D-1 players from the Northern Region

Marquel Delancey - Mount Vernon - Old Dominion
Skylar Jones - Mount Vernon - Niagara

Posted by: Fairfan ()
Date: February 25, 2011 04:48PM

Joey Lynch-Flohr - Fairfax - Radford
Jordan Gibson - Fairfax - Yale

Both 05-06 both started

Posted by: Contradiction ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:33PM

Spectator Wrote:
> Lake Braddock dominated the first half with their
> run-and-jump against Langley, building a 38-22
> lead and with the ball going into the end of the
> first half. They turned it over with 4 seconds to
> go and Austin Vasiliadis nailed a bank shot from
> half-court to trim the lead to 13 and give Langley
> some momentum going into the break.
>
> Langley shifted to a diamond and one press (which
> they rarely use) in the second half and slowly
> chipped away to come all the way back and get the
> win through some excellent defensive play by Jeff
> Cochran and great midrange shooting from Brendan
> Dwyer. Braddock had their chances to win but
> missed a barrage of contested layups that could
> have maintained their lead.
>
> Great atmosphere with large crowds for both
> schools.

Posted by: Contradiction ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:44PM

It is very true that over the years Langley has not had any real individual D1 basketball talent on their teams, but what they do have each year are multi-sport athletes who have excelled in other sports who come together to play "team basketball". Just look at their starting line up this year. Anderson and Vasiliadis excelled in football, Cochran in Soccer and Dwyer is a two time state champion in Lacrosse. No wonder they go MUCH further each season than anyone estimates.

Posted by: Henry Bolva ()
Date: February 26, 2011 01:00AM

so any predictions for the TC v Herndon and the Annandale v Langley games today? I predict a TC win as well as an Annandale win.

Date: February 26, 2011 08:10AM

Everyone says the TC Williams-Herndon game will be fantastic. I think TC will take care of them fairly easily.

I like TC by around 10.

Annandale by 4.

Posted by: -SBS-_ ()
Date: February 26, 2011 01:04PM

steve k2 Wrote:
> Everyone says the TC Williams-Herndon game will be
> fantastic. I think TC will take care of them
> fairly easily.
>

Maybe, but if Herndon can slow down TC's running game and minimize easy drives to the basket, they have a good chance. Herndon's outside shooting game is much better than TC's.

Posted by: Plaintruth ()
Date: February 26, 2011 07:15PM

Annandale beats Langley.

Langley's Coach Hess must have been charged the $7 dollar admission charge today because he was a spectator in this one. Tied after 3 quarters, he just sat and watched the rest of the game with zero adjustments.....not even a time out.

Definitely out coached in the biggest game of the season.

Posted by: Northern Region Update ()
Date: February 26, 2011 09:05PM

Plaintruth Wrote:
> Annandale beats Langley.
>
> Langley's Coach Hess must have been charged the $7
> dollar admission charge today because he was a
> spectator in this one. Tied after 3 quarters, he
> just sat and watched the rest of the game with
> zero adjustments.....not even a time out.
>
> Definitely out coached in the biggest game of the
> season.

That's definitely a lie. He finished the game with one timeout and did call one in the 4th. I thought the Annandale coach didn't coach ironically, but both teams pretty much did straight up man, Annandale just made a few more plays in the fourth quarter.

Congratulations to all the teams on a great semi-finals. Both games went down to the wire and were within one possession most of the 4th quarter.

(L1) Langley 47 @ (P2) Annandale 53
(P1) TC Williams 64 @ (C1) Herndon 61

This sets up a Patriot District Championship rematch, on Monday @ Robinson 8pm. This will be the fourth time they meet, with TC Williams having taken 2 of the 3 games during the regular season.

6pm: (P2) TC Williams @ (P1) West Springfield
8pm: (P2) Annandale @ (P1) TC Williams

The ladies game is at 6pm. Also a Patriot District showdown, congratulations to the most dominant district in all of Virginia

Posted by: Goodbye Cougar ()
Date: February 26, 2011 09:10PM

Well I'll be damned. Oakton ladies did not make the championship and aren't going to state under the lengendary Priester.

Posted by: COACH ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:20PM

Just hope the championship game gets a different set of ref's than the tc williams vs herndon game had tonight, because if not you can crown the tall but underskilled titans champs right now.

Posted by: Asshole ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:21PM

Goodbye Cougar Wrote:
> Well I'll be damned. Oakton ladies did not make
> the championship and aren't going to state under
> the lengendary Priester.

Fuck you

Posted by: Atom fan ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:30PM

I agree with the Coach....Herndon was robbed!

Date: February 27, 2011 09:32AM

The refs were equally bad for both sides. TC was just the deeper team, but Herndon gave them quite the fight. I did expect more from TC both times I saw them play, they need to be able to knock down the open shot more, and learn about something called help side defense. TC may be able to bully their way through the northern region, but attacking the hoop every time will not work against most of these other schools in state. Annandale is a lock to be a one and done, maybe the worst team I've ever seen go to state.

I will say the championship is going to be a snooze fest, as Annandale isn't half as good as Herndon. No way TC Williams loses a post season game to them.

Posted by: Plaintruth ()
Date: February 27, 2011 10:31AM

Northern Region Update Wrote:
> Plaintruth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Annandale beats Langley.
> >
> > Langley's Coach Hess must have been charged the
> $7
> > dollar admission charge today because he was a
> > spectator in this one. Tied after 3 quarters,
> he
> > just sat and watched the rest of the game with
> > zero adjustments.....not even a time out.
> >
> > Definitely out coached in the biggest game of
> the
> > season.
>
> That's definitely a lie. He finished the game
> with one timeout and did call one in the 4th. I
> thought the Annandale coach didn't coach
> ironically, but both teams pretty much did
> straight up man, Annandale just made a few more
> plays in the fourth quarter
> semi-finals. Both games went down to the wire and
> were within one possession most of the 4th
> quarter.

You must have been pretty close to the Langley bench to know how many time outs Hess took with him into the off-season. You say Coach Harper didn't coach well? What coach down by 4 to 6 points in the end of the 4th doesn't use all of his timeouts to make adjustments in the final minutes of the biggest game of the year? You make the game sound closer than it was. The Atoms had that game won in the middle of the 4th. That's when Hess quit on his players and just watched them self destruct.

Date: February 27, 2011 10:34AM

I would say the refs were bad for both sides. They were knocking TC in the first half and Herndon in the second have. Now who will win the region is easy TC hands down. They will surely be able to beat Annandale like they did in the district championship and will do it again for the regional championships. The only question now is who will the titans be playing in the first round of states?

Posted by: Scout ()
Date: February 27, 2011 10:35AM

The Herndon/TC Williams game was the championship game.They should have been in seperate brackets in the first place.Those are the two teams everyone wanted to see play on Monday night...plain and simple.

Posted by: Bama ()
Date: February 27, 2011 11:30AM

Scout Wrote:
> The Herndon/TC Williams game was the championship
> game.They should have been in seperate brackets in
> the first place.Those are the two teams everyone
> wanted to see play on Monday night...plain and
> simple.

You idiot! Annandale beat Herndon earlier in the year. Show some respect!

Posted by: gray ()
Date: February 27, 2011 11:47AM

r there any other forums like this about nova hs basketball? what r they?

Posted by: Blue Devil ()
Date: February 27, 2011 12:40PM

Bama wrote:

You idiot! Annandale beat Herndon earlier in the year. Show some respect!

Respect??? Annandale lost to Robinson & WT Woodson and to TC Williams by 13.
Herndon beat Robinson,WT Woodson and only lost to TC by 3 with the ref"s help.
Seems to me the idiot is you Bama!

Posted by: fan ()
Date: February 27, 2011 12:42PM

Annandale has gotten the easiest draw throughout the entire tournament. Got to play Westfield when their best scorer didnt play, got a weak Mount Vernon team second round, and got to avoid playing a Chantilly team that would have dominated them and instead played a decent Langly team. Decent team but not a state caliber team.

Posted by: Looking Back ()
Date: February 27, 2011 02:10PM

fan Wrote:
> Annandale has gotten the easiest draw throughout
> the entire tournament. Got to play Westfield when
> their best scorer didnt play, got a weak Mount
> Vernon team second round, and got to avoid playing
> a Chantilly team that would have dominated them
> and instead played a decent Langly team. Decent
> team but not a state caliber team.

Have to agree about Annandale's bracket and from what I saw yesterday, Langley should have beaten Annandale by at least ten. Langley fell apart in the fourth.

Posted by: DOC ()
Date: February 27, 2011 03:21PM

Last nights game TC VS HERNDON was the championship game. Mondays game will be just practice for tc....they win by 12!

Posted by: Irony ()
Date: February 27, 2011 04:48PM

Annandale beat TC once this year as well as beating Herndon. Talent at this level is close enough that anyone can beat anyone on a given night. It's really not accurate to call any of these teams "weak."

I'd guess TC will win Monday, but I wouldn't be surprised if Annandale won either. Ziegler had an off day against Langley and Boyce wasn't at the top of his game either. When they both are on, they are very tough to beat, and they have some good role players. T.C. has different guys step up most games so obviously they have the most consistent depth which in my opinion makes them a slight favorite. Either way, neither team is likely to win their first round of states.

Posted by: Clutch ()
Date: February 27, 2011 06:02PM

How about herndon? They were doubted early this season being undersized but beltran and hamilton played with more heart than any other player in the region. Going undefeated in the district and hamilton winning regional MVP, they have nothing to be ashamed of. I think they should be going to states...

Posted by: Sportsfan ()
Date: February 27, 2011 06:16PM

I agree with clutch, tomorrow night the best team in the region will not be playing.Both teams should send some very nice fruit baskets to the ref's from last nights 06:00 game.

Date: February 27, 2011 06:32PM

Give me a damn break, bad officiating kept Herndon in the game in the first half. You CANNOT tell me Herndon is a better team than TC Williams. Herndon is a one pony show, with a bunch of players that know their role. They play better team basketball, yes, but they do not have the talent to beat TC Williams any day of the week.

Date: February 27, 2011 06:42PM

Asshole Wrote:
> Goodbye Cougar Wrote:
> -----
> > Well I'll be damned. Oakton ladies did not make
> > the championship and aren't going to state
> under
> > the lengendary Priester.
>
>
> Fuck you

Priester, I know it's you. Relax.

Date: February 27, 2011 07:21PM

Goodbye Cougar Wrote:
> Asshole Wrote:
> -----
> > Goodbye Cougar Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Well I'll be damned. Oakton ladies did not
> make
> > > the championship and aren't going to state
> > under
> > > the lengendary Priester.
> >
> >
> > Fuck you
>
> Priester, I know it's you. Relax.

Fuck you

Date: February 27, 2011 07:32PM

keep recruiting then...

Posted by: Clutch ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:36PM

I don't know about that... The refs missed a lot of should've been charges for herndon, and beltran was just getting warmed up with back to back 3s. I guarentee if he wasn't in foul trouble, it's a diffrent ball game.

Posted by: jby ()
Date: February 27, 2011 09:49PM

Without the refs bad calls herndon wins by 8-10 points.Its a damn shame when the refs decide big games like that....damn shame!

Posted by: fighter ()
Date: February 27, 2011 10:15PM

THATS THE TRUTH!! MR STEVE K2 MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING A DIFF BALL GAME

Date: February 27, 2011 10:24PM

Goodbye Cougar Wrote:
> keep recruiting then...

Fuck you

Posted by: Calm Down Priester ()
Date: February 27, 2011 11:39PM

Asshole Wrote:
> Goodbye Cougar Wrote:
> -----
> > keep recruiting then...
>
> Fuck you

Fred, you need to chill. Yeah, ya lost--get over it. Maybe next year, huh?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Hey that West Springfield team only loses what--2 senior role players? oops....

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Sucks to be you Fred.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Date: February 27, 2011 11:58PM

I agree with stevek2, the refs were bad both in favor of TC and Against. So what Herndon lost there is always next year, just got to look towards the future and right now the championship is between Annandale and TC...TC will surely win.

Posted by: Coach ()
Date: February 28, 2011 07:28AM

This forum is for people who have are students of the game or at least know something about the game. Henry Bolva this may not be the forum for you because what you said made no sense...it was really a stupid wasted post.

Date: February 28, 2011 01:12PM

Calm Down Priester Wrote:
>
> Fred, you need to chill. Yeah, ya lost--get over
> it. Maybe next year, huh?
>
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
>
> Hey that West Springfield team only loses what--2
> senior role players? oops....
>
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
>
>
> Sucks to be you Fred.
>
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Fuck you

Posted by: Results??? ()
Date: February 28, 2011 10:37PM

So, what was the result of the championship game? It was earlier this evening, right?

Posted by: JOEB ()
Date: March 01, 2011 07:30AM

TC WILLIAMS WON 59-54

Date: March 01, 2011 11:15AM

Date: February 16, 2011 11:55AM

>Chantilly has lost twice to Herndon. Herndon has to be the favorite to win the >Concorde Tournament.

>TC is definitely the team to beat. I don't see many than can run with them for >4qtrs. TC will win the Region!!

>Edison, that has to be a joke. I know they have good athletes, but not >fundamentally sound to play a full game. Especially to be consistant enought to >win the Region.

Looks like my predictions were correct. Herndon won the district, TC won the region, and Edison could stay above water.........Now TC will get bounced by Phoebus in the first round!!

Posted by: TBS ()
Date: March 01, 2011 11:39AM

IF TC GETS THE SAME RFFS THEY HAD IN THE HERNDON GAME THEY WILL GET PAST PHOEBUS WITH NO PROBLEM.

Date: March 01, 2011 12:22PM

Phoebus will destroy TC Williams as they did in the regular season. TC Williams doesn't have any major perimeter threats, and while they're athletic as hell, so are the teams down in the tidewater area they will be facing.

Potomac Falls plays @ Robinson 4:30pm on Saturday. They are AA and will cruise to a state title this year, I believe they are the best team in northern virginia and could beat TC Williams. They have 6 guys that can drain 3's, two post players that can play with anyone on TC (their junior is better than anyone on TC period.) They've steamrolled everyone, put up >80 points in all playoff games including 96 in the region championship and 87 using the bench in the region semis. If you want to watch great talent thats the game to be at this weekend.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.