HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How come South Lakes Basketball ain't so good no more
Posted by: don mccool ()
Date: February 04, 2011 04:57AM

I thought once upon a time South lakes consistently had quality teams and produced many a college bound player. Is it because the old coach ain't there no more?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How come South Lakes Basketball ain't so good no more
Posted by: Goon ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:15AM

It's called private school.

Tyler Thorton (Duke) is a Reston kid but was sucked up by Gonzaga. Julian Vaughn (Georgetown) was sucked up by Oak Hill.

Posted by: ain't ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:29AM

ain't?

Posted by: Fan ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:29AM

South Lakes the school has gone down hill since the days of 2001,2002. Ever since, all the sports programs have not seen success on a regional stage. I am sure they have plenty of talent in Reston. But they either attend private schools or transfer elsewhere.

Posted by: south lakes ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:31AM

It appears that their grammar is going the way of the sports teams---so what will they be known for?

Posted by: like2eat@theY ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:56AM

Not since Grant Hill

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 04, 2011 08:11AM

mexicans

Posted by: SANs ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:09AM

There is plenty of talent in Reston. Sadly, the coaches and or staff don't seem capable of skillfully handling the talent. Two incredibly talented girls on basketball were recruited by private schools. Now the girl's team sucks. This drain by private schools is not just associated with sports. There are quite a few very talented performing art students who live in Reston who don't dare set foot into the school because of staff incompentency, especially in the theater department.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:11AM

I blame the influx of rich white kids when they rezoned.

Posted by: The man ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:38AM

Give Coach Duggan some time. He will build a winner there. Good guy good coach. It's only his first year. They have some decent athletes but he really inherited a mess.

Posted by: bolano ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:55AM

The man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Give Coach Duggan some time. He will build a
> winner there. Good guy good coach. It's only his
> first year. They have some decent athletes but he
> really inherited a mess.

IMHO never judge a coach's record on his first year. Although, this thread was about South Lakes being bad the past decade and had nothing to do with Coach Duggan.

I will say I beleive South Lakes has the most talent in the Liberty District and yet is in 5th place. From what I've heard there are quite a few characters on this team though, and I believe Duggan is the right man for the job.

Posted by: bball fan ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:12AM

1. Cool English
2. South Lakes had Julian Vaughn and Byrd let him shoot 3s instead of dominate down low.
3. The 2 girls that left South Lakes were not supposed to go there anyway. They were said to really want the IB program --- as you can see after one year, it wasnt the IB program, they recruited them.
4. Duggan will do a good job if he can get the kids to stop playing like they are at the courts at Nottoway.

Posted by: CrabbyNative ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:35AM

Grant Hill graduated in 1990, Private Schools, AAU programs.

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:43AM

This title made me lol.

Posted by: Go_Seahawks ()
Date: February 04, 2011 12:11PM

SANS,

Your comments about the Seahawks girls team shows your lack of knowledge and understanding of the sport.

Yes they lost two outstanding players who decided to move to private schools, but out of the 11 players on this seasons roster there are 5 Fr. 2 So.

The future of Seahawks woman basketball looks very bright, with a lot of talented girls on the team.

Posted by: Huh?? ()
Date: February 04, 2011 01:47PM

CrabbyNative Wrote:
> Grant Hill graduated in 1990, Private Schools, AAU
> programs.

What does AAU have to do with anything? AAU does not play during high school basketball season.

Posted by: Wendell skated around the edges ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:09PM

like2eat@theY Wrote:
> Not since Grant Hill<

Wendell took 2 different teams to state championship game after Hill - 1999 & 2002(?)

Wendell stopped recruiting flashy guards from AAU to move into the SLHS attendance area and live with "guardians."

He never could coach or recruit forwards.

Playing with 5 guards can get you to Regionals in NoVa but not much further.

Duggan's trying to to get by with the homegrown.

We'll see how long before he has suddenly appearing "new students" transferring into SLHS.

No doubt they'll be coming for the IB program.

Posted by: Hoops ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:55PM

Fucking redistricting killed the sports programs at South Lakes!

Posted by: no good no mo ()
Date: February 05, 2011 10:39AM

Go_Seahawks Wrote:
> SANS,
>
> Your comments about the Seahawks girls team shows
> your lack of knowledge and understanding of the
> sport.
>
> Yes they lost two outstanding players who decided
> to move to private schools, but out of the 11
> players on this seasons roster there are 5 Fr. 2
> So.
>
> The future of Seahawks woman basketball looks very
> bright, with a lot of talented girls on the team.

You are an idiot. Both of the 2 girls who left were "recruits" into South Lakes--1 belonged in Chantilly, the 2nd in Madison. Thinly veiled rule-breaking on the part of the South Lakes coach, who is a horrible coach anyway. Cheated to staff her team and STILL LOST the District last year to Madison.

The reason they have 5 freshman on the team is because of total lack of depth in the program. Don't expect any of the freshman, other than 1, to contribute meaningfully on varsity. Neither of the sophs would start for any of the upper echelon Liberty teams.

And, you can continue to expect SL girls to underperform, as a direct result of poor coaching and leadership. Current coach spends more time bitching about every call in the game than coaching her team. If you ever watched the games you would know that.

Posted by: tdp83 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:19AM

Former player here (I graduated in '01) so I played with all of the guys from the 99 and 03 state finals teams. I agree with the point about private school recruiting- not just for SL but for the whole northern region. I know Hayfield or T.C. Williams won a few years ago but the Northern region went over twenty years without winning a state title. That is not because the basketball isn't as good- top to bottom the nova districts were much better, but the rural schools don't have their 6-8 athletes recruited away. regarding like2eat@theY's point, that's why Byrd never bothered making big men a major part of his team: he knew he was usually going to have better guards. i played center, and i can remember dozens of hours of full-court press and transition offense drills, and about 1 hour of post-offense. it wasn't the focus of his strategy and i think that strategy made sense for the situation.

to cite an exception that proves the rule: the 03 team had two players who started high school in d.c. private schools but came back to south lakes. granted that team was stacked and would've been good anyway, but not as good.

anyway, i'm biased because I know Byrd and respect him a great deal. it doesn't surprise me that the program has slipped since he left.

Posted by: Jed Renkins ()
Date: February 25, 2012 12:42PM

I saw South Lakes boys play a few times this year. Not a lot of discipline on the court and not good sportsmanship compared to some other Liberty teams, but the coach had a positive attitude during the games and there were plenty of students supporting the squad. Give him another year or two to see what he can do.

Date: February 25, 2012 01:04PM

Coach Duggan is doing a good job. This was a tough group to coach. Lots of off court issues. They are moving in the right direction.

Posted by: Jupiter ()
Date: February 25, 2012 01:36PM

Moving in the right direction? They missed the regional playoffs for the first time in how many years? NO Way that team should have got bounced that early! The Football team was just as bad and there going no where anytime soon! South Lakes athletics are DOOMED! At least they have the IB program!

Date: February 25, 2012 01:43PM

They missed the regional tournament two years in a row a few years back. McLean knocked them out two straight seasons. Yes, disappointing they missed the tournament but they won 15 games. If you knew what the coaches had to deal with, you'd know that was a miracle.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.