HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
FCPS Staff Development/Teacher Workdays are a SCAM!
Posted by: oh, c'mon! ()
Date: February 01, 2011 10:29AM

I had reason to drop by my kids schools over the last two days - yesterday and today. Monday was a Staff Development Day. Today is a Teacher Workday.

At both schools (a MS and an ES), the parking lots were approximately 1/3 full. At the ES, I counted less than 30 cars - the total teacher headcount listed in the state report card is right around 100. So on a teacher workday, less than 30% of the school headcount bothered to show up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Staff Development/Teacher Workdays are a SCAM!
Posted by: They were all on vacation ()
Date: February 01, 2011 10:44AM

I think if you have the the students grades in you can take a personal day. I do not know how many they get.

Posted by: tmill9 ()
Date: February 01, 2011 11:06AM

The teachers might havee been at offsite in-service meetings.

Date: February 01, 2011 11:13AM

tmill9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The teachers might havee been at offsite
> in-service meetings.

I thought about that, but that brings up something else - Is the training scheduling so inefficient that 30% of the staff that are supposed to be taking training just sitting around?

Posted by: fcps ripoff ()
Date: February 01, 2011 11:23AM

This in-service stuff has always been a scam. If they were required to come in for these days in the summer and on regular breaks, such as Christmas & Easter, they'd find this nonsense unnecessary PDQ!

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 01, 2011 12:29PM

I suspect that many of them do the paperwork at home. After all, if you don't need to meet with parents or anyone, what does it matter WHERE you do the paperwork?

Posted by: ahahahhaa ()
Date: February 01, 2011 02:59PM

oh, c'mon! Wrote:
> I had reason to drop by my kids schools over the
> last two days - yesterday and today. Monday was a
> Staff Development Day. Today is a Teacher
> Workday.
>
> At both schools (a MS and an ES), the parking lots
> were approximately 1/3 full. At the ES, I counted
> less than 30 cars - the total teacher headcount
> listed in the state report card is right around
> 100. So on a teacher workday, less than 30% of
> the school headcount bothered to show up.

Whining about it to anonymous people on a public forum isn't going to help. If anything it makes you look like one of those hot headed adult fools who cares about school more than anything.

Posted by: retired teacher ()
Date: February 01, 2011 03:23PM

fcps ripoff Wrote:
> This in-service stuff has always been a scam. If
> they were required to come in for these days in
> the summer and on regular breaks, such as
> Christmas & Easter, they'd find this nonsense
> unnecessary PDQ!

Believe me, most teachers think they are a waste of time but are required to be there!

Posted by: sharpen those pencils ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:13PM

retired teacher Wrote:
> fcps ripoff Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This in-service stuff has always been a scam.
> If
> > they were required to come in for these days in
> > the summer and on regular breaks, such as
> > Christmas & Easter, they'd find this nonsense
> > unnecessary PDQ!
>
>
> Believe me, most teachers think they are a waste
> of time but are required to be there!

Then maybe the county should cut the number of days on their contract and pay them accordingly

Posted by: ffx employee ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:16PM

You are right, sort of. Monday was the workday, Tuesday the in-service day. The school board votes every year to let teachers work on one of the days without 'scheduled interruption,' i.e. meetings. Without meetings, there is no accountability for attendance. Often an email goes out thanking teachers for their hard work and reminding them they "can work from home or the ski slopes or wherever." They also do not have to put in their standard hours, so if they show up for an hour or two, that's fine. Written ambiguously enough to be abused but to where the admin. can claim ignorance.

Unfortunately, the ones who usually abuse it are the ones who don't get their work done other times. Many dedicated teachers still show up to work even though they are 'caught up.' They do other work that enhances your child's learning.

FYI- no other staff member is afforded this unaccounted-for-time. Clerical workers, custodians, an assistants all have to show up, check in, put in the 7.5 hours or take leave. Should be that way for teachers too, as the ones who don't come in create extra work for those who do - either on that day via a list of jobs or later on because they are so behind.

If you have an issue with it, write or call your school board rep. and work to get the policy changed.

Posted by: WTF? ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:17PM

Monday was a "work form home" day!

Today was an in-service day... Every teacher in the county worked today... so please stop with the annoying threads...

If you hate your 9-5 that much then George Mason has a great Career Switch program... You can get you're teacher's license in as little as 2 years!

Date: February 01, 2011 04:24PM

ffx employee Wrote:
> Often an email
> goes out thanking teachers for their hard work and
> reminding them they "can work from home or the ski
> slopes or wherever."

Wow, that's worse than I thought. I thought it was people blowing off work and administrators looking the other way. From what you say, it's condoned and even encouraged.

BTW, I'm quite sure many FCPS SB members and employees read this board - if you say it here, it's being heard by the SB. Why else would they need to hire a Shaman for their last retreat?

Posted by: liar liar pants on fire ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:27PM

WTF? Wrote:
> Monday was a "work form home" day!
>
> Today was an in-service day... Every teacher in
> the county worked today... so please stop with the
> annoying threads...
>
> If you hate your 9-5 that much then George Mason
> has a great Career Switch program... You can get
> you're teacher's license in as little as 2 years!

You are right, I saw several of them I know "working" behind a shopping cart today at Costco, please we are not that naive.

Posted by: chew on this ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:40PM

I find it ironic that in an age where many of you tele-commute and work within schedules of your own making, that you have a problem of teachers "working from home" for one day at the end of the semester. Obviously we get our grading done - which for most of us involve grading lengthy semester exams and finalizing our gradebooks. So why does it matter if we do it sitting in a desk at school or at home?

We get our work done with countless hours invested outside of the 8 hour workday in the school building. Watch what you ask for, lest we work only those 8 hours and leave everything at school when the day ends.

Why don't you spend more time teaching your own children a sense of accountability instead of bitching about the physical location of where teachers work. I bet you don't want me clocking your hours in and out of work everyday, let alone examine how focused your effort is on whatever your employer is asking you to do.

This is one of the best school systems in the country. If you don't like it, GTFO.

Posted by: c'mon! ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:49PM

chew on this Wrote:
> We get our work done with countless hours invested
> outside of the 8 hour workday in the school
> building. Watch what you ask for, lest we work only those 8 hours and leave
> everything at school when the day ends.

This is such BS. I have never, ever gotten on off hours e-mail from one of my kids teachers. Last week, I was in the middle of an e-mail exchange on Tuesday with a teacher (nothing negative in any way), and for the three snow days.....nothing. She came back online on Monday.

So yes, others get to work from home and set their own schedule. But that also means that when there is a snow day, work does not come to a complete halt. I'm sorry, but it looks to me like you already just leave everything at school when the day ends, and on snow days you are just like kids - no work for you.

And I refer to your fellow FCPS employee post above about being encouraged to work from the ski slopes on these teacher 'workdays'.

Posted by: Hey Dale, take a look around ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:57PM

I arrived today at the school that I work at several minutes before the appointed time that about 400 other school employees were supposed to be starting their day as well. There were 2 cars on the lot. About 2 hours later many of the other employees began filtering in. By no means the first time I have seen this in the past decade but probably the most flagrant lack of work ethic I have witnessed, Unfortunately for me I came to schools from another agency where if you are scheduled for work, you need to be on premises or you could take leave or just "GTFO". I have been told that because folks are not getting raises and moral is low, accountability is not really a priority. For people who really only have to work about 10 months a year, this fraudulent behavior is criminal. They wont leave despite saying they will because private industry and other county agencies would not tolerate this and they know it.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: February 01, 2011 05:07PM

oh, c'mon! Wrote:
> I had reason to drop by my kids schools over the
> last two days - yesterday and today. Monday was a
> Staff Development Day. Today is a Teacher
> Workday.
>
> At both schools (a MS and an ES), the parking lots
> were approximately 1/3 full. At the ES, I counted
> less than 30 cars - the total teacher headcount
> listed in the state report card is right around
> 100. So on a teacher workday, less than 30% of
> the school headcount bothered to show up.

Oh shut up, and stop your complaining already.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: February 01, 2011 05:08PM

Hey Dale, take a look around Wrote:
> I arrived today at the school that I work at
> several minutes before the appointed time that
> about 400 other school employees were supposed to
> be starting their day as well. There were 2 cars
> on the lot. About 2 hours later many of the other
> employees began filtering in. By no means the
> first time I have seen this in the past decade but
> probably the most flagrant lack of work ethic I
> have witnessed, Unfortunately for me I came to
> schools from another agency where if you are
> scheduled for work, you need to be on premises or
> you could take leave or just "GTFO". I have been
> told that because folks are not getting raises and
> moral is low, accountability is not really a
> priority. For people who really only have to work
> about 10 months a year, this fraudulent behavior
> is criminal. They wont leave despite saying they
> will because private industry and other county
> agencies would not tolerate this and they know it.

You obviously don't know jack shit about how much work they actually do.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: chew on this ()
Date: February 01, 2011 05:13PM

Yes, your exchange with one of your child's teachers is the verdict on all of FCPS teachers and what we do outside of the classroom. I think this sheds some light on why our students struggle with basic logic, deductive reasoning, and critical thinking skills. That would be similar to a food critic judging the quality of a restaurant based on the color of the shoelaces being worn by hostess.

As for the teacher/employee who arrived to only two other cars in the parking lot today, we must be blessed to have your dedicated presence. If you were at my school, I'd have owned one of the two other cars you saw. Legislating as an "insider" as to our alleged poor work ethic is cowardly.

I teach because I love working with kids and helping them grow academically and develop socially into productive, responsible young adults. I think that most of my colleagues believe the same thing. This is why we have "countless hours" (which you mock) outside of school, because we know it's the best for the kids. We could work in the private sector, make twice what we make teaching, set our own schedules, execute our own appointments, and be successful professionals that has a regular "9-5" set of expectations. At least that would give us plenty of time at the end of the day to complain about teachers while we "educate" our kids by buying them an X-Box so they'll leave us alone.

Why don't you assess your child's progress in his/her classes, and if it is unsatisfactory, request a conference with his/her teachers. Your post blindly attacking all teachers as lazy and unethical is ridiculous. Some people just bitch about stuff just to bitch about it.

Posted by: haaa ()
Date: February 01, 2011 05:15PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> Hey Dale, take a look around Wrote:
> -----
> > I arrived today at the school that I work at
> > several minutes before the appointed time that
> > about 400 other school employees were supposed
> to
> > be starting their day as well. There were 2
> cars
> > on the lot. About 2 hours later many of the
> other
> > employees began filtering in. By no means the
> > first time I have seen this in the past decade
> but
> > probably the most flagrant lack of work ethic I
> > have witnessed, Unfortunately for me I came to
> > schools from another agency where if you are
> > scheduled for work, you need to be on premises
> or
> > you could take leave or just "GTFO". I have
> been
> > told that because folks are not getting raises
> and
> > moral is low, accountability is not really a
> > priority. For people who really only have to
> work
> > about 10 months a year, this fraudulent
> behavior
> > is criminal. They wont leave despite saying
> they
> > will because private industry and other county
> > agencies would not tolerate this and they know
> it.
>
>
> You obviously don't know jack shit about how much
> work they actually do.

Oh I do know Jack and I know what they don't do, great scam, If I wanted a part time job 30 years ago, I would been a teacher. But do keep up the rhethoric, most taxpayers are naive enough to believe it.

Posted by: fascinating ()
Date: February 01, 2011 05:17PM

chew on this Wrote:
> Legislating as an
> "insider" as to our alleged poor work ethic is
> cowardly.

Huh? I take it you are not an English teacher.

Posted by: get a life please ()
Date: February 01, 2011 05:31PM

OP wrote:

I had reason to drop by my kids schools over the last two days - yesterday and today. Monday was a Staff Development Day. Today is a Teacher Workday.

At both schools (a MS and an ES), the parking lots were approximately 1/3 full. At the ES, I counted less than 30 cars - the total teacher headcount listed in the state report card is right around 100. So on a teacher workday, less than 30% of the school headcount bothered to show up.

You have it turned around. Monday was the workday and today was the inservice day. I am a teacher and I was at Stuart HS today for an inservice. The lot was packed and teachers had to park blocks away and walk to the building for the inservice. So I wasn't parked at my usual school. Sorry for the problem that caused you in your KGB monitoring of the schools. Maybe you should ask for the inservice schedules so that you can drive around the county and count cars at schools. Just be sure to include the streets around the schools as well. Also, just to let you know, I carpooled with another teacher because we were encouraged to do this. You might have to check on that as well. We also carpooled to save money---obviously this is an idea that you don't consider or maybe don't have to consider.

Date: February 01, 2011 05:38PM

haaa Wrote:
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> -----
> > Hey Dale, take a look around Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I arrived today at the school that I work at
> > > several minutes before the appointed time
> that
> > > about 400 other school employees were
> supposed
> > to
> > > be starting their day as well. There were 2
> > cars
> > > on the lot. About 2 hours later many of the
> > other
> > > employees began filtering in. By no means the
> > > first time I have seen this in the past
> decade
> > but
> > > probably the most flagrant lack of work ethic
> I
> > > have witnessed, Unfortunately for me I came
> to
> > > schools from another agency where if you are
> > > scheduled for work, you need to be on
> premises
> > or
> > > you could take leave or just "GTFO". I have
> > been
> > > told that because folks are not getting
> raises
> > and
> > > moral is low, accountability is not really a
> > > priority. For people who really only have to
> > work
> > > about 10 months a year, this fraudulent
> > behavior
> > > is criminal. They wont leave despite saying
> > they
> > > will because private industry and other
> county
> > > agencies would not tolerate this and they
> know
> > it.
> >
> >
> > You obviously don't know jack shit about how
> much
> > work they actually do.
>
>
> Oh I do know Jack and I know what they don't do,
> great scam, If I wanted a part time job 30 years
> ago, I would been a teacher. But do keep up the
> rhethoric, most taxpayers are naive enough to
> believe it.

You're so full of shit, it's spilling out on everything you type.

Posted by: happy as jack ()
Date: February 01, 2011 05:57PM

Thank you fudgepackerleader, hope you enjoyed day off you useless fuck

Posted by: tiemwaster ()
Date: February 01, 2011 06:16PM

SO what ? You never waste time at work?

Posted by: Oh, c'mon! ()
Date: February 01, 2011 06:44PM

chew on this Wrote:
> That would be similar
> to a food critic judging the quality of a
> restaurant based on the color of the shoelaces
> being worn by hostess.

No, this would be like a food critic judging a restaurant based on one dish. Analogies are covered in 8th grade SOL's - you should check into that.

Posted by: fcps ripoff ()
Date: February 01, 2011 07:27PM

Oh, listen to the whining from the most spoiled beneficiaries of the county welfare system...it makes my heart break! You're kidding yourselves if you think you could make it in private industry. What a joke!

Posted by: ripoff - you're an idiot ()
Date: February 01, 2011 08:03PM

With all the time we put in educating your kid that you don't care about, we deserve all your tax money!!

Posted by: Holy crap ()
Date: February 01, 2011 08:08PM

Learn how to spell.

Posted by: Spell? ()
Date: February 01, 2011 08:12PM

never happen in FCPS with lazy teachers sucking on the budget

Posted by: You have no idea ()
Date: February 01, 2011 08:16PM

If teachers read this thread, they would be putting in as little time as possible. You are not making them inspired to do more for your little darlings. Where is the appreciation??? Are all teachers loafers??? What a bunch of miserable people out there! You are clueless.

Date: February 01, 2011 08:34PM

You have no idea Wrote:
> If teachers read this thread, they would be
> putting in as little time as possible. You are
> not making them inspired to do more for your
> little darlings. Where is the appreciation???
> Are all teachers loafers??? What a bunch of
> miserable people out there! You are clueless.

Teachers, through their union, have already said:

- They won't work beyond on their contract hours
- They will work to defeat SB members who don't vote for a pay raise
- Won't tutor or complete college recommendations
- Are looking for 'devastating' ways to impact FCPS through job actions
- They will leave for more lucrative employment
- Have signs printed up demanding '3% Now'

Given that, I'm not sure a few posts on FFXU will be much of a factor for them. They seem to have made up their minds.

They also have this peach of a Teacher Survey on their web site (www.fairfaxea.org) - can you guess what the correct response is to these questions?

1) I am compensated for 7 1/2 hours and I work 7 1/2 hours.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
2) FCPS is responsive to employee needs.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
3) Human Resources has been useful for me.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
4) Monday Early Closing is used mostly as an opportunity for planning with my teammates.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
5) My workload interferes with my personal/family time.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
6) I feel that I have significant input into decisions made at my school.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
7) I am treated as a professional and with respect by my administrators.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
8) I have control over how/when/what I teach in my classroom.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
9) Consistent student discipline is provided by the administration.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
10) I am able to complete the majority of my work within the contract day.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
11) The in-service meetings I am required to attend are valuable.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
12) The Professional Learning Community (PLC) meetings are valuable.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
13) I am able to provide everything I need for my students with county funds.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
14) The emphasis placed on eCART and testing support student learning.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
15) FCPS is a data driven environment.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
16) In order to track problem work environments and/or work to improve specific work locations, FEA is asking for your school name. Please provide it in the space below.

Posted by: nobody ()
Date: February 01, 2011 09:25PM

There are administrative buildings (i.e not schools) where FCPS employees go for trainings. Just because they are not at a school does not mean they are not at a training. Also, the parking lots wouldn't be as full because of other workers, for example, cafeteria workers, not needing to report to work on teacher work days.

Posted by: NovAnon ()
Date: February 01, 2011 09:55PM

Virginia is a right-to-work state. there is no teacher's union.

Posted by: complex issue--not as easy as you make it sound ()
Date: February 01, 2011 10:11PM

Some of the statements on that "peach of a survey" should concern parents. Parents should be concerned about how teachers are treated by administrators. They should be concerned about PLC's and E-Cart. Are those things helping the teachers and students? The teachers are concerned about a whole lot more than money. Parents need to become informed. If you are on a job and you see dollars wasted while you are not getting COLA raises for years on end, wouldn't you want to do something to stop it? Wouldn't you think that the waste should be cut? Think about it and inform yourself.

Posted by: more ()
Date: February 01, 2011 10:13PM

Instructional assistants do not come to school on work days either. And don't you dare complain that those people are overpaid. !!

Posted by: oh please. ()
Date: February 02, 2011 10:19AM

NovAnon Wrote:
> Virginia is a right-to-work state. there is no
> teacher's union.

Hmmm...you pay dues in your paycheck, you have a leader of your 'association', you have reps in each school building, you organize to get higher pay and better working conditions, and you threaten job actions.

Oh, yeah, it's not a union.

Posted by: woww... ()
Date: February 02, 2011 10:53AM

Teachers get paid shit anyways and i can only imagine the bullshit they get from asshole helicopter parents in this area. Seriously though stop spying on the teachers and get a fucking life you pathetic loser

Date: February 02, 2011 11:51AM

I just heard a story that tops all of this. At Woodley Hills elementary, I don't even know where it is, there is a teacher's aid that is getting her teaching certificate from some local university. So now, this aid has to do her student teaching, So she goes to a local high school (she must be getting ceritifed in special ed or something) for half of the day then goes to the elementary school for the other half of the day, but get this she is still getting her teacher's aid salary while student teaching. Somehow that doesn't make sense. Is that even legal?

Posted by: another Clifton Brainiac ()
Date: February 02, 2011 12:28PM

happy as jack, who obviously lives in Clifton Wrote:
> Thank you fudgepackerleader, hope you enjoyed day
> off you useless fuck

That's stupid

Posted by: legal beagle ()
Date: February 02, 2011 12:30PM

tmill9 Wrote:
> Is that even
> legal?

Yes, being paid to work is legal.

Posted by: on unions ()
Date: February 02, 2011 04:42PM

"Hmmm...you pay dues in your paycheck, you have a leader of your 'association', you have reps in each school building, you organize to get higher pay and better working conditions, and you threaten job actions.

Oh, yeah, it's not a union"

There is no collective bargaining in Virginia. No striking. The biggest job action is doing your job? Working to the contract? Wow. If it is a union, it is a union in name only. They have absolutely no power. I worked in New York. New York has unions and I knew the difference as soon as I moved here! In New York there were rules about how many preps a teacher could have and how many SpEd kids could be in the room at one time, etc. etc. Here there is nothing----zero---no rules whatsoever. They can tell you to do anything as a teacher here and there is nothing the union can do about any of it. The "union" exists here in order to give teacher's liability insurance and to make it look like the administration has to answer (but it's all a charade). The administration WANTS the unions here so it looks like they work with them. They could actually fire anyone at any time. They don't do it because they would never attract decent teachers if they started doing that kind of stuff. They do have to compete on some level with the union states---that's the only reason they don't pull that stuff.

I joined a union when I first came here and then I quit for many years. I rejoined recently just to have somebody to talk to if I get "down" about my situation. Seriously. I certainly can't talk to lots of people who don't think I do jack during the day.

Posted by: rumor mill ()
Date: February 02, 2011 04:45PM

" just heard a story that tops all of this. At Woodley Hills elementary, I don't even know where it is, there is a teacher's aid that is getting her teaching certificate from some local university."

heard a story . . . I don't even know where it is . . . some local university

This sounds a bit "rumorish".

Posted by: not the shop steward ()
Date: February 02, 2011 04:49PM

on unions Wrote:
> In New York there were rules
> about how many preps a teacher could have and how
> many SpEd kids could be in the room at one time,
> etc. etc. Here there is nothing----zero---no
> rules whatsoever.

NY is also $10B in the hole (for this year), is cutting 10K state employees, and NYC alone could layoff 21K teachers.

Glad they had all those rules though.

Posted by: hsparent ()
Date: February 02, 2011 05:25PM

I would not put all teachers in the slack off category. Over the 3 snow days my child had teachers emailing assignments to the class or putting new work on blackboard to do so they would not get behind. Please only speak for your school or your own child's teacher. It just isn't fair to lump all teachers as bad. Of course, my child is in high school. I'm not sure (no offense to all those G/T elementary school kids) how important it really is to send home assignments to a third grader.

Posted by: LemonPuss ()
Date: February 02, 2011 06:19PM

ffx employee Wrote:
> You are right, sort of. Monday was the workday,
> Tuesday the in-service day. The school board
> votes every year to let teachers work on one of
> the days without 'scheduled interruption,' i.e.
> meetings. Without meetings, there is no
> accountability for attendance. Often an email
> goes out thanking teachers for their hard work and
> reminding them they "can work from home or the ski
> slopes or wherever." They also do not have to put
> in their standard hours, so if they show up for an
> hour or two, that's fine. Written ambiguously
> enough to be abused but to where the admin. can
> claim ignorance.
>
> Unfortunately, the ones who usually abuse it are
> the ones who don't get their work done other
> times. Many dedicated teachers still show up to
> work even though they are 'caught up.' They do
> other work that enhances your child's learning.
>
> FYI- no other staff member is afforded this
> unaccounted-for-time. Clerical workers,
> custodians, an assistants all have to show up,
> check in, put in the 7.5 hours or take leave.
> Should be that way for teachers too, as the ones
> who don't come in create extra work for those who
> do - either on that day via a list of jobs or
> later on because they are so behind.
>
> If you have an issue with it, write or call your
> school board rep. and work to get the policy
> changed.

Bitter much? go back to school and shut ur yap. I bet you're not grading papers writing lesson plans, making/buying materials on your OWN time or answering parent's emails at 11:00PM @ night.

Posted by: seriously? ()
Date: February 02, 2011 06:50PM

"Bitter much? go back to school and shut ur yap. I bet you're not grading papers writing lesson plans, making/buying materials on your OWN time or answering parent's emails at 11:00PM @ night."

Is this teacher supposed to be buying materials and making emails at 11 p.m. in order to be considered a "good" teacher??? Are you joking? No wonder nobody wants to be a teacher. You are expecting God to be your kid's teacher.

Posted by: NOVAkid ()
Date: February 02, 2011 07:21PM

All of these Carpetbagger, half-assed parents need to STFU and realize that the teacher work days aren't the fault of the teachers. It isn't some glamorous job either. Sorry you have to babysit you kid for another couple of days instead of going to the salon.

Posted by: such a crock ()
Date: February 02, 2011 08:25PM

LemonPuss Wrote:
> Bitter much? go back to school and shut ur yap. I
> bet you're not grading papers writing lesson
> plans, making/buying materials on your OWN time or
> answering parent's emails at 11:00PM @ night.

These are urban legends, perpetuated by teachers unions. None of this stuff happens, and if it does, it is very much the outlier. Parents buys the supplies and provide the manual labor for classroom stuff. You use our kids to decorate your classroom in September and clean it out in June.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: February 02, 2011 08:50PM

Really??? Urban Legends??? I wake up about an hour earlier than I need to in the morning to go through my work emails and respond to parents. Why??? Becuase I have NO TIME during the school day to do so. Ask me what I did during the snow days? Report cards!!! I teach Kindergarten, have 55 report cards to HAND TYPE that take 45 minutes to do PER CHILD! If the county wants to boost morale because they didn't give us raises this year by giving us 7.5 hours to "work from home" then I think that is okay. And guess what I did while I was working from home on Monday??? REPORT CARDS! Yes! I Worked from home! And even if I chose not to really do work, it would have been okay... want to know why? Becuase guess what I did ALL DAY Sunday? You gussed it... REPORT CARDS!!! On my own time!

Posted by: P.s. ()
Date: February 02, 2011 08:52PM

Yes, parents do buy many supplies, but this year I have decided to keep my reciepts to see how much I really do spend of my own money in the classroom. Since September this year, my total is... Not zero, but 226.00 out of MY bank account!

Date: February 02, 2011 09:05PM

Really? Wrote:
> Really??? Urban Legends??? I wake up about an
> hour earlier than I need to in the morning to go
> through my work emails and respond to parents.
> Why??? Becuase I have NO TIME during the school
> day to do so. Ask me what I did during the snow
> days? Report cards!!! I teach Kindergarten, have
> 55 report cards to HAND TYPE that take 45 minutes
> to do PER CHILD! If the county wants to boost
> morale because they didn't give us raises this
> year by giving us 7.5 hours to "work from home"
> then I think that is okay. And guess what I did
> while I was working from home on Monday??? REPORT
> CARDS! Yes! I Worked from home! And even if I
> chose not to really do work, it would have been
> okay... want to know why? Becuase guess what I did
> ALL DAY Sunday? You gussed it... REPORT CARDS!!!
> On my own time!

HAND TYPE? As opposed to what?

Just for grins, I just looked at a Kindergarten report card. If it takes you 45 minutes to do that per child, perhaps Kindergarten teacher is a stretch for you. It's 95% boilerplate.

BTW, you were paid for the snow days. Don't expect congratulations for working during what is your normal work hours.

Posted by: tax man ()
Date: February 02, 2011 09:26PM

P.s. Wrote:
> Yes, parents do buy many supplies, but this year I
> have decided to keep my reciepts to see how much I
> really do spend of my own money in the classroom.
> Since September this year, my total is... Not
> zero, but 226.00 out of MY bank account!

You forgot to mention that you get a Federal Tax credit of $250 for buying supplies. That's a credit, not a deduction, so you actually get all that money back.

Posted by: CrabbyNative ()
Date: February 02, 2011 09:55PM

Teachers were given permission by the to work from home Monday and Tuesday of this week. Get your facts before you start bitching.

Posted by: oh c'mon is a teabagging moron ()
Date: February 02, 2011 11:38PM

Driving around counting cars in parking lots--ridiculous. It proves absolutely nothing except your ignorance. Home school your kid, if you hate the teachers so much and the school system is so offensive to you. If it's so easy and just boilerplate, you should have no problem. Better yet, why don't you get one of these highly paid, cushy teaching jobs with all these days off and all that easy work and get in on the scam yourself. I'm sure it's champagne kisses and caviar dreams all around.

Posted by: not true ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:10AM

Teachers actually don't get paid that little, first year teachers make 44k dollars a year, that is almost 10k more than the average salary. Being a teacher in FCPS high schools is just reading a guide about what you can teach and they pretty much give you all the stuff, and provide you some of the worksheets.

Posted by: Show him the back of my hand ()
Date: February 03, 2011 06:15AM

I think the commentor here is actually a disgruntled parent whose kid did crappy in school and he's trying to blame the teachers. Its pretty hard not to pull off a B or A in school these days, what with all the shenanigans going on in school. There are so many options to make up work. . . if your kid did poorly, its probably because they were doing nothing at all at school or at home. And that's your fault, dad.

Posted by: wrong answer ()
Date: February 03, 2011 06:32AM

Show him the back of my hand Wrote:
> I think the commentor here is actually a
> disgruntled parent whose kid did crappy in school
> and he's trying to blame the teachers. Its pretty
> hard not to pull off a B or A in school these
> days, what with all the shenanigans going on in
> school. There are so many options to make up work.
> . . if your kid did poorly, its probably because
> they were doing nothing at all at school or at
> home. And that's your fault, dad.

Wrong answer - straight A's. Good attempt to blame the parent though - must be in the FCPS training material.

BTW, I've never seen any teacher provide the option to make up work.

Posted by: joking? ()
Date: February 03, 2011 06:54AM

"BTW, I've never seen any teacher provide the option to make up work."

You must have the wrong teachers! LOL

Date: February 03, 2011 09:26AM

not true Wrote:
> Teachers actually don't get paid that little,
> first year teachers make 44k dollars a year, that
> is almost 10k more than the average salary. Being
> a teacher in FCPS high schools is just reading a
> guide about what you can teach and they pretty
> much give you all the stuff, and provide you some
> of the worksheets.

Have you tried living off of 44k in this county? With a family? There's a reason the median income in this area is over 100K. With that knowledge does 44k look like all that much? Not to me. ANd no I'm not a teacher nor am I related to one.

Posted by: reality ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:48AM

ok most of the other county workers start out at the same salary. Granted its not much but the pay scales and the cost of living here are no secret to anyone. So is your solution to pay all these workers $100K , fire, police, etc? Because if so you will end up in the same situation as NJ, NY etc.....Broke. Camden just laid off half their police force because the insane contracts caught up to them and no one would make any concessions. If you think we are out of the woods with this economy, youre kidding yourself. People including the teachers need to stop this ME ME ME attitude until things get better.

Posted by: set the record straight ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:53AM

Shadow Wrote:
> Have you tried living off of 44k in this county?
> With a family? There's a reason the median income
> in this area is over 100K. With that knowledge
> does 44k look like all that much? Not to me. ANd
> no I'm not a teacher nor am I related to one.

The only teachers that make 44K/9 month period are 1st year, zero experience teachers. The top end of the scal stretches to 90K+. Teachers also get paid for any activities they advise, coaching, and tutoring.

You are also comparing apples and oranges. Median household income is 102K in Fairfax, and you are comparing it to an individual teacher's income. Two married 28 year old teachers, working at FCPS right out of school, would have a household income of around 100K, and that's just working the standard contract (no coaching, masters degree, tutoring, summer work, etc.)

Beyond that, they get 10+weeks in the summer during which they can (and most do) work, either in something related to kids in which their teaching credential is valued, or in something else entirely.

I'm not saying they'll get rich being a teacher, or that they don't deserve a COLA after 2+ years, but claiming poverty is not very accurate.

Date: February 03, 2011 10:54AM

legal beagle Wrote:
> tmill9 Wrote:
> -----
> > Is that even
> > legal?
>
> Yes, being paid to work is legal.

However, by being a student teacher you are not supposed to be an employee of the system. The point is that she is not working as a teacher's aid while being a student teacher but is still getting the money.

Posted by: You're fibbing ()
Date: February 03, 2011 11:12AM

wrong answer Wrote:
>
> Wrong answer - straight A's. Good attempt to
> blame the parent though - must be in the FCPS
> training material.
>
> BTW, I've never seen any teacher provide the
> option to make up work.

Hoqwash, and in regards to straight A's, post a pic or GTFO!

(taps foot, waiting)

Date: February 03, 2011 11:13AM

tmill9 Wrote:
>
> However, by being a student teacher you are not
> supposed to be an employee of the system.

cite, please?

Date: February 03, 2011 11:37AM

You're fibbing Wrote:
> Hoqwash, and in regards to straight A's, post a
> pic or GTFO!
>
>
> (taps foot, waiting)

Hah, very funny. Learn that tactic at your AFT convention this year?

Date: February 03, 2011 12:13PM

wrong answer Wrote:
>
> Hah, very funny. Learn that tactic at your AFT
> convention this year?

c'mon, let's see your proof. Post a pic of the report card with A's

Your kids a derelict, admit it. You're pissed because he's a failure in FCPS.

Date: February 03, 2011 05:11PM

Yo, wrong answer, the silence is deafening! Where is your kiddies report card? You can obliterate their name if you wish.

heh

Posted by: Wrong answer ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:24PM

Right after you put up a scan of your FCPS Badge, sport. How was school today? Two days straight of teaching - you must be exhausted.

Posted by: busybody ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:31PM

tmill9 Wrote:
> legal beagle Wrote:
> -----
> > tmill9 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Is that even
> > > legal?
> >
> > Yes, being paid to work is legal.
>
>
> However, by being a student teacher you are not
> supposed to be an employee of the system. The
> point is that she is not working as a teacher's
> aid while being a student teacher but is still
> getting the money.

And you know for a fact that she is still getting a full-time salary and has not been reduced to half-time? You have seen her paycheck?

And you are bitching that you are getting a highly trained all-but-a-full-teacher instructional assistant (under $20k/year pay) when the job only requires a high school diploma and a pulse?

Posted by: UGGH! ()
Date: February 03, 2011 08:12PM

I also teach. Have you ever tried to teach a class of thirty 11/12 year olds? I would say that 20 of those children are generally well behaved and interested in learning. The remaining 10 are another story. They come to school because they are forced to. Their goal for the day is to sabotage the learning of others. Are parents supportive? For the repeat offenders--generally not. The kids don't do classwork or homework and constantly distract others. Can recess be taken from these children to get caught up or reflect on how to behave properly in class? NO! Can they be tossed out of class? Of course not! The amount of time spent attempting to discipline these children is crazy! Many days I feel like a babysitter!

Then we come to the workload. Not only am I with students for my "contract hours", I spend at least a couple hours after school completing the required paperwork (not grading) for students who are considered "at-risk." Often times, these are the same students mentioned before that come to school to play. I arrive at school as soon as the building opens. I offer before school help (unpaid) for those who are truly trying but are having a bit of difficulty cementing a concept. I spend my two of my 20 minute lunch periods each week with a mentee (volunteer). We have a late lunch, so often times, I provide a healthy snack for those who can't afford to bring one. I have even provided winter clothes for students and spent large amounts of my own money on classroom activities.
Do I want a pat on the back for this? NO! I do these things because I enjoy working with children. I believe they cannot attend to learning until their basic needs have been met. Who else is going to take care of these things? I wish that before people complain about teachers that they would truly look at all that is done because many of us just care about children. I would also ask that you look at your parenting skills--are you merely sending your child to school expecting the system to raise him/her or are you taking an active interest in your child's education by supporting the school community.

Posted by: I.A. ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:08PM

In response to:

"Instructional assistants do not come to school on work days either. And don't you dare complain that those people are overpaid. !!"

Instructional assistants are not salary like teachers. We are hourly paid employees who are paid for 7.5 hours per day that we work - even if we are there early or stay late. We are scheduled to work 5 days before schools starts and 2 teacher workdays. The administrator's "blind-eye" mentioned above, is not turned on us. If we don't work on the premises on the 2 assigned days, we have leave submitted on our behalf. (As it should be.)

We also have not had COLA adjustments in a few years either. We also only make about half of what a teacher with equivalent 'years of service' makes. We are all compensated pretty well for what we do, all FCPS employees are, and we have great benefits.
To those who want to compare their pay to Mont. Co. Go work there, please. Notice no one compares the pay to P.W.Co., Fauquier Co., Man. Park, etc. That is because the COL is just as high, but the pay is a fraction of what we make here in Ffx. Before I moved here, I held the same position in one of the aforementioned counties and literally earned half of what I earn now. My pay doubling is why I could afford to not only move in-county, but also enjoy a better standard of living. But I digress....

I agree that teachers should be expected to report to work, on time, on the workdays. Just before the workdays, administrators usually send out a similar email to the one posted above with this added:

"Instructional assists, this offer does not apply to you. You are under a different work contract and must report or take leave. Teachers, if you have work you need our assistants to do, please contact them or leave it with....so they are not wasting their day."

Really not huge issue if we didn't already have work to do. Often we are pulled from helping the teachers who do show up, or the clerical work we need to do, just to do work for the teachers who don't show up. We don't have 'planning periods or PLC periods' worked into our day to do that work. We are in class 7 hours with 1/2 hour working lunch.

Many at the school I work at, who didn't put in full 8 hours either day will have an "administrative" leave day soon. A day to grade practice S.O.L.s. For those that don't know, admin. leave = substitutes for teachers, but no leave taken from the teachers. Better management would be to have them do it on one of those days.

What I find 'funny' about the "pro teacher posts" on here is that the teachers who are dedicated and do show up, often have the same sentiments as me and many of the posters here. The ones who are going off about 'all that teachers do blah blah' are probably the guilty ones. The ones who don't put in all the extra hours. The ones who 'work from the ski slopes' and post pics of it on Facebook with their county issued laptops. (true)

Remember just like in any business, FCPS has employees with a range of work ethics. Some of you are right, many would not make it in the private industry. Many however would work the socks off the private industry. No easy solution.

Posted by: I.A. again ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:18PM

Oh, and teachers must accept late work, at least on the middle school level, up until the last day of the quarter. If a student doesn't turn it in, they still get a 50%. Students are not allowed to fail because of missed work. They are not allowed to fail because of absences. Grading scale has been re-adjusted. If a student is failing, he is trying.

Posted by: Legal beagle ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:24PM

Wrong answer Wrote:
> Right after you put up a scan of your FCPS Badge,
> sport. How was school today? Two days straight of
> teaching - you must be exhausted.

Even if I do work for FCPS (I don't), it's not relevant. What IS relevant is your claim that your kid does well in school.

The spoiled brat needs a tutor, and you're pissed because it's taking away from your Busch Light money, right? That's why you're here whining about teachers, your dumbass kid can't learn.

Date: February 04, 2011 10:23PM

Legal beagle Wrote:
> Wrong answer Wrote:
> -----
> > Right after you put up a scan of your FCPS
> Badge,
> > sport. How was school today? Two days straight
> of
> > teaching - you must be exhausted.
>
> Even if I do work for FCPS (I don't), it's not
> relevant. What IS relevant is your claim that your
> kid does well in school.
>
> The spoiled brat needs a tutor, and you're pissed
> because it's taking away from your Busch Light
> money, right? That's why you're here whining about
> teachers, your dumbass kid can't learn.

troll

Posted by: FCPS Mom & Teacher ()
Date: February 05, 2011 07:23AM

I could add fuel to the fire by presenting facts, not conjecture, based on critical observation such as counting the number of cars in a parking lot. However, I chose not to do so.

Teachers, I highly encourage you not to post. There is no convincing people who want to believe the worst and spread their venom. If the rational, fact-based side of the conversation ends, they have only themselves to talk to and will soon find it dull with no one to attack.

I highly encourage you, after the rush of getting your grades in this week, to relax this weekend - read a book, watch a movie, plan a Superbowl party and forget you ever read the vile words posted on this blog.

Happy 3rd quarter - I hope the remainder of your 2011 school year goes well. Fingers crossed for the funding of that COLA the School Board just voted on.

DISCLAIMER - please forgive any typos, grammatical errors and/or misspellings. We do not vilify or ridicule your children for their errors - please afford us with at least that modicum of respect.

Posted by: Legal beagle ()
Date: February 05, 2011 02:03PM

wrong answer Wrote:
> > Even if I do work for FCPS (I don't), it's not
> > relevant. What IS relevant is your claim that
> > your kid does well in school.
> >
> > The spoiled brat needs a tutor, and you're
> pissed
> > because it's taking away from your Busch Light
> > money, right? That's why you're here whining
> about
> > teachers, your dumbass kid can't learn.
>
> troll

Truth hurts, doesn't it? Now run a long and quit airing your frustrations here

Posted by: just chill out ()
Date: February 07, 2011 05:11PM

Everyone needs to stop hating on the teachers. Whether or not they "slack off" on teacher workdays, they srill get their work done. Last time i checked they are humans as well. I am student and i went in on monday to turn in some work. Only 3 of them were there. But they still finished all the work they needed to do. Its like a project assigned to a student that is due in a week. Whether or not you finish the project tonight or a day bfore its due, its still finished. The teachers finish the work that they need to do, and any thing else they do should be up to them.

Posted by: thank you student ()
Date: February 07, 2011 06:02PM

Thank you student. I tend to think the students and teachers are pretty joined and it is the outsiders hating on both of them. I really don't think you can be in teaching if you don't want to help students. Students cannot be students if they don't want to learn. If everyone pitches in, the job of learning will be accomplished. Parents can pitch in by supporting the teachers and the students. Others need to STAY OUT. There are too many cooks in the kitchen.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: February 07, 2011 07:33PM

I think the point is that is if your contract is for a certain number of days, then work them, If all the teachers can get their work done in one workday, then have class the other day. People like me are paying you to work those days. Get it now.

Posted by: just chill out ()
Date: February 07, 2011 08:23PM

I think the point is that its all about the money. The reason we have such high educational standards in this county are because we have the money to do it. Fine, pay the teachers for only days they do "real" work. I think the public is terrible misinformed about this problem. Teachers dont usually care about only the money. They have a passion for teaching. They will do what is in their best interest for the students, no one else. They finish everything they need to do, and the record has shown, we are doing pretty well. END OF STORY.

Posted by: penny wise ()
Date: February 07, 2011 09:49PM

"I think the point is that is if your contract is for a certain number of days, then work them, If all the teachers can get their work done in one workday, then have class the other day. People like me are paying you to work those days. Get it now."

What I get is that the public thinks that teaching is like a factory job. The teacher punches in and does something and then punches out. It is not a profession where there is work to be done that can be done in creative ways that may or may not require more or less time based on what or who the teacher is teaching. And it doesn't vary from teacher to teacher or from year to year---so either they all need one work day or two work days and nothing in between or more. If the parking lot is not full, obviously someone is being overpaid. If this is what the public has decided, they are going to get exactly what they pay for and no more (and just wait until they see how much less it is).

Posted by: demands a response ()
Date: February 08, 2011 08:27AM

just chill out Wrote:
> I think the point is that its all about the money.
> The reason we have such high educational standards
> in this county are because we have the money to do
> it.

No, the reason we have high education achievement in this county is because it is one of the richest, most educated places in the country. The offspring of highly educated, successful people generally do well academicaly. There's always the exception, but in general that is true.

> Fine, pay the teachers for only days they do
> "real" work. I think the public is terrible
> misinformed about this problem.

No really - we know all of the FCPS pay scales, the school budget, the issues being discussed, and we are day to day consumers of your 'product'.

> Teachers dont
> usually care about only the money.

Hence the unending demands for raises. Don't get me wrong, I think you deserve a COLA after 3 years - I really do. But don't say you don't do it for the money - that kind of insulting.

> They have a
> passion for teaching. They will do what is in
> their best interest for the students, no one else.

And they don't act in their own interest? Come on. They look out for themselves, and they certainly look out for the SOLs and their AYP metrics. That's common sense and that's ok, but don't try to make people beleive you are selfless matyrs that do nothing but look out for the children.

> They finish everything they need to do, and the
> record has shown, we are doing pretty well. END OF
> STORY.

Saying END OF STORY at the end of your post does not end the discussion - sorry about that.

Posted by: website ()
Date: February 08, 2011 08:20PM

New today on the FCPS website, and I quote:

"New Today: (2/8/11) Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS), the largest school system in Virginia, is searching for teachers, counselors, speech pathologists, occupational and physical therapists, social workers, and psychologists with a strong academic background and a passion to make a difference in the lives of students for the 2011 - 2012 school year."

Here's your chance to climb aboard the gravy train! Obscene salary, benefits, and pension! Numerous staff development days that you don't even have to show up! Off all summer!

No need to be jealous anymore! Send in your resumes!!!

Posted by: can we? ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:56PM

Does FCPS publish daily absenteeism rates for teachers? I'm wondering how many will call in sick on the Monday make up day.

Date: February 17, 2011 03:07PM

You know, that would be a great idea. FCPS ought to publish abseentism rates for the teacerhs at the schools. Maybe not even post their names but list Teacher X was absent on..... Teacher A Absent on ....., etc. It would be illustrative to see how many days teachers take off. I'm sure there is a limit on how many days off they get a year. Hmmmm, might be worth firing off an email to my SB member.

Posted by: Give teachers a break ()
Date: February 17, 2011 03:10PM

They are doing a hard job and are not doing it for the money. I only know of a few times my childs teacher has been out.

Do you never miss work?

Date: February 17, 2011 03:14PM

Actually I rarely miss work. And, I'm certain that 95% of teachers do a great job,and I'm sincere about that. I'd bet that there are some teachers who aren't quite as dedicated though and I think it would be interesting to know if there is any kind of issue with absenteeism. Actually that would be more of a commentary on the school admin than on teachers.

Posted by: one example ()
Date: February 17, 2011 04:17PM

My kid's ES teacher has missed easily 20 days so far this year - I've lost track. Out sick, personal time (like 10 days of that), off to conferences, etc. She's very upfront about it - nice little e-mail ahead of time frequently.

Took a little jaunt to a conference with the male principal. Nice little break for the two of them I suppose.

Let's see - 20 days of about 100 so far - 20% absenteeism rate.

Posted by: the real deal ()
Date: February 17, 2011 04:42PM

She's probably in training for a Gatehouse position.

Another thing that happens is that the admins have meetings and get subs for the teachers. The teachers have no choice about going to those "functions". The admin can then put another "teacher training" bullet next to their names.

Posted by: sorry, wrong answer ()
Date: February 17, 2011 05:34PM

Give teachers a break Wrote:
> They are doing a hard job and are not doing it for
> the money. I only know of a few times my childs
> teacher has been out.
>
> Do you never miss work?

No, actually. Maybe a day or two every couple years. Not four weeks out 20. And I certainly don't miss work when there are 25 people counting on me to be there, unless its truly unavoidable - like an incapacitating illness.

Posted by: TheRock ()
Date: February 17, 2011 05:53PM

I agree no one was at Rocky Run

Posted by: I own my own business ()
Date: February 17, 2011 06:27PM

I never miss work. If I do not work I do not get paid but I still pay my staff.

Posted by: I bet ()
Date: February 18, 2011 08:33AM

I'm betting the teachers cannot get paid out on sick time when they leave/retire, cause they are out sick constantly.

Date: February 18, 2011 10:51AM

I own my own business Wrote:
> I never miss work. If I do not work I do not get
> paid but I still pay my staff.

"Never miss work"? SO I guess you pay your staff with illnesses too when you're sick. Bet they really love you for your dedication.

Posted by: To Shadow ()
Date: February 18, 2011 12:56PM

Not to brag but I never get sick. Now that I have said that I just know I am going to get the flu.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: February 18, 2011 02:31PM

one example Wrote:
> My kid's ES teacher has missed easily 20 days so
> far this year - I've lost track. Out sick,
> personal time (like 10 days of that), off to
> conferences, etc. She's very upfront about it -
> nice little e-mail ahead of time frequently.
>
> Took a little jaunt to a conference with the male
> principal. Nice little break for the two of them
> I suppose.
>
> Let's see - 20 days of about 100 so far - 20%
> absenteeism rate.

If had any idea what they pay for subs, you would be shocked. Fridays before a three day weekend, forget, the subs are lined up in the office

Posted by: Rambunctious ()
Date: February 18, 2011 03:11PM

At least parents are given warning about teacher workdays weeks in advance, in Wisconsin, teachers just call in sick ... (since strikes are illegal, they're allowed to call it a "sick out")

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/116465503.html

The average pay with benefits for Wisconsin's teachers is $91k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 03:12PM by Rambunctious.

Posted by: you will rue the day ()
Date: February 18, 2011 03:21PM

Rambunctious Wrote:
> At least parents are given warning about teacher
> workdays weeks in advance, in Wisconsin, teachers
> just call in sick ... (since strikes are illegal,
> they're allowed to call it a "sick out")
>
> http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/116465503.htm
> l
>
> The average pay with benefits for Wisconsin's
> teachers is $91k

My prediction - they will live to regret their temper tantrum. Marching in the streets to bitch about having to pay a percentage of their healthcare/retirement will earn them no sympathy, especially when that % is much lower than in the private sector. Add in the sick outs and the school closings - what a great way to endear themselves to parents and voters.

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: November 13, 2011 12:57PM

Drop by my house in the evening or on the weekends.See how much of it I spend doing work for school. Better yet, come with me on school breaks and "holidays" and see how much time I put in other than my contract hours. Stop by early in the morning and late at night and see how early or late my car is there. Count THAT. Oh, count the back to school nights at my children's school that I miss telling you about your child's school year. Count in performances at my kids' schools because it is so difficult to take leave. If you think you can tell how hard someone is working by a count of cars on a teacher workday, you really have no idea what goes on in schools.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.