HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia power complaint thread
Posted by: davedavedave ()
Date: January 27, 2011 09:03AM

Okay lets here about how much you hate Va power for letting you go without power for a little while.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia power complaint thread
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 27, 2011 09:05AM

We are still without power.

Posted by: blank ()
Date: January 27, 2011 09:14AM

when is it suppose to be back on?

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: January 27, 2011 09:37AM

Dominion rules.

Always less outages and quicker restore time than Pepco.

Posted by: Not mad ()
Date: January 27, 2011 10:02AM

Ours went out around 10....it looked like a war zone with transformers blowing. Dominion says it will be up by late afternoon. Not too bad if ou ask me.

Posted by: davedavedave ()
Date: January 27, 2011 10:41AM

Not mad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ours went out around 10....it looked like a war
> zone with transformers blowing. Dominion says it
> will be up by late afternoon. Not too bad if ou
> ask me.

You are right Not mad, We are so lucky to have Va power. Low rates and outstanding service! Virginia Power is one of the top 20 power providers in the world.

Posted by: Mickey ()
Date: January 27, 2011 12:16PM

I shut my power off at the breaker box so I could fit in.

Posted by: Above ground lines ()
Date: January 27, 2011 02:18PM

Went out around 8:30 last night...no heat or running water (well water) and to make matters worse, couple trees fell on our lines, so our 40+ year old neighbOorhood is without power for atleast another week and a half.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: January 27, 2011 02:34PM

Kilton Wrote:
> Dominion rules.
>
> Always less outages and quicker restore time than
> Pepco.

Early on in the storm I was watching the news and they were saying Pepco was reporting all these thousands of people already without power. I was thinking, "Say, just about EVERY storm I hear Pepco reporting a bunch of power outages, while I haven't lost power in 10 years for any significant amount of time."

Then my power went out. :-)

Nonetheless, I stand by my assessment: I'm glad not to have Pepco.

Posted by: wondering1 ()
Date: January 27, 2011 02:41PM

Does springfield have power yet?

Posted by: davrdavedave ()
Date: January 27, 2011 03:09PM

Above ground lines Wrote:
> Went out around 8:30 last night...no heat or
> running water (well water) and to make matters
> worse, couple trees fell on our lines, so our 40+
> year old neighbOorhood is without power for
> atleast another week and a half.

My power is out also. I have a small (6000watt) generator that runs my well pump, fridge, a small tv, modem & router and my downstairs furnace as well as a couple of plugs around the house. I run the generator for about an hour every four hours. This is well worth the $2000 bucks I spent six years ago. I have been listening to people call into wtop radio and bitch about their power being out, Most DC area folks are helpless and selfish when it comes to this kind of thing.

Posted by: Sparky Sez ()
Date: January 27, 2011 03:10PM

The power on the Springfield end of Rolling Road just came back on. By my count it was out for a little over 18 hours. This was a very unusual outage. In the 12 years I've lived in this house we've only lost power once or twice a year and usually only for about 10 minutes at most. This time a few fallen trees took out some line along rolling. It took the Dominion boys about 4 hours to clean it up and reset the breakers.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: January 27, 2011 04:01PM

Power went out a couple of times last night, but no long-term outages. There were, however, quite a few voltage spikes which were caught with our whole house surge protector (Leviton 51120). This $400 electrical upgrade (parts and labor) when we remodeled our basement is one of the best investments when it comes to home improvement. We lost a GE dishwasher several years ago due to a voltage spike which destroyed the electronic circuit board which this would have prevented.

Combined with a dedicated Panamax M4300-PM power conditioner for our home theater system and computer equipment I have a lot of peace of mind that we will not experience a catastrophic electronic equipment loss.

Posted by: Not a Monster Cable Rep ()
Date: January 27, 2011 04:49PM

Do your gold-plated Monster cables offer an added level of protection, as well as transmitting the highest-quality signal currently available to the consumer market?

I find the peace of mind from Monster brand cables is second to none. I'm very glad I paid a price that is seventeen times higher than any other brand of cables! I don't know how I could've survived last night's snowpocalypse without my Monster brand cables!

Posted by: Country Boy ()
Date: January 27, 2011 05:30PM

The problem with Americans and particularly Fairfax County residents is the fact that they are totally reliant on the government to survive. They are wimps, pussies and idiots. They would never survive in the country. When the power goes out, we cut firewood and build a fire in the fireplace. We put gas in our vehicles before driving them. We don't call the Mayor, Governor, City Council or power company and bitch and complain about the power being out for 12 hours, WE DEAL WITH IT!!! Grow some balls and man up Fairfax!

Posted by: Country Rick ()
Date: January 27, 2011 05:38PM

And we get to marry our sisters!

Know how to circumcise a country boy?

Kick his sister in the butt!

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 27, 2011 05:39PM

NOVA area power outage as of 5:30 PM 1/27. Dominion says power to be on for most customers FRIDAY NIGHT.
Attachments:
nova_area.jpg

Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: January 27, 2011 05:39PM

"When the power goes out, we cut firewood and build a fire in the fireplace."

That is good..but what about others who do NOT have fireplaces, ie live in apartment complexes or dwellings without fireplaces?

But I agree that we just have to deal with it whenever there is a power outage. For example with mine, the power went out at about 7 pm last night (came back on around 1 am) so my kids and I surrounded lanterns (battery-run), LED portable lights, etc around on the table and played several board games. We did not complain about being in the dark, just made the best out of it.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: January 27, 2011 07:22PM

Not a Monster Cable Rep Wrote:
> Do your gold-plated Monster cables offer an added
> level of protection, as well as transmitting the
> highest-quality signal currently available to the
> consumer market?
>
> I find the peace of mind from Monster brand cables
> is second to none. I'm very glad I paid a price
> that is seventeen times higher than any other
> brand of cables! I don't know how I could've
> survived last night's snowpocalypse without my
> Monster brand cables!

Sorry that I sounded like a paid advertisement...I have been asked by friends and on other board which products I used. For the whole house unit Square D and Cutler Hammer make equivalent products, but I am partial to Panamax for consumer electronics.

Monster is nothing but marketing hype...I buy just about all of my accessories and cables from Monoprice - HDMI cables for under $3 and HDTV wall mounts for around $20 are tough to beat.

Posted by: Cheap Stuff ()
Date: January 27, 2011 07:26PM

> ...Monster is nothing but marketing hype...

Yup yup yup.

Posted by: strates ()
Date: January 27, 2011 07:38PM

Country Boy Wrote:
> The problem with Americans and particularly
> Fairfax County residents is the fact that they are
> totally reliant on the government to survive. They
> are wimps, pussies and idiots. They would never
> survive in the country. When the power goes out,
> we cut firewood and build a fire in the fireplace.
> We put gas in our vehicles before driving them.
> We don't call the Mayor, Governor, City Council or
> power company and bitch and complain about the
> power being out for 12 hours, WE DEAL WITH IT!!!
> Grow some balls and man up Fairfax!

+1, but I would add, during tough times, in other areas I have lived, people are a lot more willing to come together as a community. I.E. you know your neighbors don't have power, but you've got gas heat or a fireplace, invite them over. People are having problems on the roads, get out of your car and lend a hand instead of trying to barge through.

Snowstorms like this highlight a lot of the true nature of people. And, you know, people can either be part of the problem or part of the solution. Around here, people seem content to be part of the problem.

Posted by: peter the meter reader ()
Date: January 27, 2011 09:15PM

eesh Wrote:
> NOVA area power outage as of 5:30 PM 1/27.
> Dominion says power to be on for most customers
> FRIDAY NIGHT.

eesh, im commin to read your meter so you better be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uperpi-nCYQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 27, 2011 10:19PM

We had plenty of brownouts, but that was it! My friend in South Riding had his power out, as did a friend of mine in D.C.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 27, 2011 10:20PM

Country Boy Wrote:
> The problem with Americans and particularly
> Fairfax County residents is the fact that they are
> totally reliant on the government to survive. They
> are wimps, pussies and idiots. They would never
> survive in the country. When the power goes out,
> we cut firewood and build a fire in the fireplace.
> We put gas in our vehicles before driving them.
> We don't call the Mayor, Governor, City Council or
> power company and bitch and complain about the
> power being out for 12 hours, WE DEAL WITH IT!!!
> Grow some balls and man up Fairfax!

People in my neighborhood aren't country, and we know how to do everything you mentioned. It's only common sense, it's nothing special.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: rob ()
Date: January 27, 2011 10:50PM

you think dominion is bad? be GLAD you dont have pepco. christ, that power company is god awful.

Posted by: Blam ()
Date: January 28, 2011 03:53AM

Jeez, we had a decent snowshower that also had the VERY RARE occurrence of having a lightning storm to go with it.

So you got a bunch of fresh snow dumped on the ground, and power outages due to the lightning.. and you people were expecting a quick fix?

--------------------------------------
DAMN!

Date: January 28, 2011 05:31AM

No loss here.

Posted by: whatzit tooya ()
Date: January 28, 2011 06:10AM

My power never went out. I think my power has only gone out once for maybe 5 minutes in the past 3 years (when we had that blizzard snow last year; only way I noticed was my alarm clock was flashing 12:03 instead of the current time that afternoon.). Go NOVEC! I gladly pay my light bill! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 06:11AM by whatzit tooya.

Posted by: strat ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:21PM

I'm at a loss as to why people in single family homes don't buy generators. I'm in an old neighborhood with aerial lines and lots of trees. I get two power hits a week, and have generally found the electricity reliability to be on a par with what I experienced in Costa Rica.

I need electricity to run my well pump, but then I'm not at the mercy of either Dominion or Fairfax Water. There's something to be said for that.

Posted by: generac ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:45PM

strat Wrote:
> I'm at a loss as to why people in single family
> homes don't buy generators. I'm in an old
> neighborhood with aerial lines and lots of trees.
> I get two power hits a week, and have generally
> found the electricity reliability to be on a par
> with what I experienced in Costa Rica.
>
> I need electricity to run my well pump, but then
> I'm not at the mercy of either Dominion or Fairfax
> Water. There's something to be said for that.

You got that right!

I got tired of outages too, so I bought a 48KW, liquid cooled, whole house generator system. With 200 amp output, it will power everything in the house simultaneously, including central air conditioning, clothes dryer and my welder. It's certified for 3000 hours continuous operation, which is over four months, then you change the oil and filters and fire her back up for another 3000 hours!

The best part is it's "smart" monitoring system. It senses an outage and fires up instantly. When the power comes back on, it shuts downs automatically. Barely a flicker of the lights either way. It tests itself regularly to insure an instant start and to charge the starting batteries.

It burns quite a bit of natural gas, but what the hell, I'll pay! Best $18 grand I ever spent!

Posted by: overklok ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:57PM

Dominion did very well in this storm. They are always quick to restore power and their estimate to fix the problem was spot on.

Posted by: strat ()
Date: January 29, 2011 08:03PM

I've been planning to do that, but as I already have two 5500W 48V inverters from a data center, my plan is to battery-back the house first. In the interim, I've been able to manage quite well with a $900 8500/13500 KW genset I bought on a whim at Home Depot during an ice storm a couple of years ago. It's unfortunately powered by a gasoline engine (I prefer 1800 RPM diesels or natural gas) but has been quite serviceable if one can stand the noise.

There's a guy who offers a turnkey household UPS locally, but he wants $20K and the batteries aren't beefy enough for my tastes.

I'm assuming with 48KW you have a really big house. My worst-case load analysis had at about 13KW.

Posted by: Hybla valley gal ()
Date: January 19, 2012 04:44PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> We are still without power.

Our power just came back on today!

Posted by: Panama Red ()
Date: January 20, 2012 08:56PM

It's called actually paying your electric bill, Shaniqua.

Posted by: apoehick ()
Date: January 22, 2012 10:29AM

You only pay for what you use. When the power goes out, the meter goes off.

$10k+ for back up is spending to make a statement like women buying shoes to gain a sense of empowerment. $5k would finance a permanently installed back-up.
http://dom.com/products/product-catalog/generators/order.jsp

If you rent you might consider that for under $700, amazon will drop off a Chinese generator, GFCI and heavy duty extension cords on your stoop.

http://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP4400E-Portable-Generator-Electric/dp/B001BMDFPS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1327244128&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Tri-Source-120-Volt-Interrupter/dp/B00004SQGV/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1327245482&sr=1-12

I just rough it out, but I'd consider having the transfer switch installed for under a grand then wheel my neighbor's generator around when I need it. They're too easy to steal. So I have to back paddle and give it to the guy who spent $20k. That setup's probably too big for a couple thieving numbnuts to slide onto a pick-up (or wheel around to my XFR-switch). Still $20k's too rich for my blood. This poehick bought an inverter for $100 so I could watch DVD's. Amazon's got more inverters than you can shake a stick at, and most things that need recharging plug into a cigarette lighter.

Posted by: Mr bumpester ()
Date: June 30, 2012 04:50PM

davedavedave Wrote:
> Okay lets here about how much you hate Va power
> for letting you go without power for a little
> while.

Time to bump this thread so we can hear from the Fairfax area residents once again.

which residents are ya talking about?
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 30, 2012 04:53PM

you mean the stupid ones who never consider to simply purchase a generator when the power's ON?

or the dumbass ones who think the power company likes losing money (cause, in case you havent noticed, if yr meters not moving then........................oh why bother - if you havent figured it out by now.............)

Re: which residents are ya talking about?
Posted by: Mr bumpster ()
Date: June 30, 2012 05:10PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> you mean the stupid ones who never consider to
> simply purchase a generator when the power's ON?
>
> or the dumbass ones who think the power company
> likes losing money (cause, in case you havent
> noticed, if yr meters not moving
> then........................oh why bother - if you
> havent figured it out by now.............)

Yes I mean the ones who make good money but have no real life skills, the ones who cannot change a flat tire on their C class, the ones who call a locksmith when a doorknob falls off their bedroom closet door, the ones who call a plumber when their washing machine hose drips, the ones who bitch about everything because that's all they know how to do. I think that covers 80% of the white people in Fairfax county, They are helpless and weak. Some of them are black as well.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: June 30, 2012 05:12PM

if im not mistaken, sometime last night dominion had more outages than all MD and dc combined. Now i wake up to find dominion has about 20k less outages than them lol

Posted by: f- knuckles ()
Date: June 30, 2012 05:14PM

Mr bumpster Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you mean the stupid ones who never consider to
> > simply purchase a generator when the power's
> ON?
> >
> > or the dumbass ones who think the power company
> > likes losing money (cause, in case you havent
> > noticed, if yr meters not moving
> > then........................oh why bother - if
> you
> > havent figured it out by now.............)
>
>
> Yes I mean the ones who make good money but have
> no real life skills, the ones who cannot change a
> flat tire on their C class, the ones who call a
> locksmith when a doorknob falls off their bedroom
> closet door, the ones who call a plumber when
> their washing machine hose drips, the ones who
> bitch about everything because that's all they
> know how to do. I think that covers 80% of the
> white people in Fairfax county, They are helpless
> and weak. Some of them are black as well.

I could have not said it better!!! if this was a bar i would buy you a few beers.

Posted by: lilslow ()
Date: June 30, 2012 06:54PM

Radiophile Wrote:

You have been without power since Jan 27 2011 ?!?!??????
That sucks! You should have called in and complained.
Have they still been billing you for that fuel surcharge?

Date: July 01, 2012 08:47AM

f- knuckles Wrote:
> Mr bumpster Wrote:
> -----
> > Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > you mean the stupid ones who never consider
> to
> > > simply purchase a generator when the power's
> > ON?
> > >
> > > or the dumbass ones who think the power
> company
> > > likes losing money (cause, in case you havent
> > > noticed, if yr meters not moving
> > > then........................oh why bother -
> if
> > you
> > > havent figured it out by now.............)
> >
> >
> > Yes I mean the ones who make good money but
> have
> > no real life skills, the ones who cannot change
> a
> > flat tire on their C class, the ones who call a
> > locksmith when a doorknob falls off their
> bedroom
> > closet door, the ones who call a plumber when
> > their washing machine hose drips, the ones who
> > bitch about everything because that's all they
> > know how to do. I think that covers 80% of the
> > white people in Fairfax county, They are
> helpless
> > and weak. Some of them are black as well.
>
>
> I could have not said it better!!! if this was a
> bar i would buy you a few beers.

I like bud light golden wheat.

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 09:10AM

Guinness

Posted by: NOVEC!!! ()
Date: July 01, 2012 09:52AM

NOVEC is the best- power NEVER went out. Never even flickered. I think my power went out once for 1 hour in the past 4 YEARS even through all these blizzards and everything.

Added to bucket list- go up in one of those bucket trucks they use!

Posted by: agree2 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:00AM

NOVEC!!! Wrote:
> NOVEC is the best- power NEVER went out. Never
> even flickered. I think my power went out once for
> 1 hour in the past 4 YEARS even through all these
> blizzards and everything.
>
> Added to bucket list- go up in one of those bucket
> trucks they use!

At my last house I had NOVEC for 11 years and only spent one night without power.
Now that I have Dominion my power goes out a couple nights a year but my cost per kwh is alot less. I spent 6 grand to have a generator installed so I think I am not really saving anything.

Date: July 01, 2012 11:58AM

rob Wrote:
> if im not mistaken, sometime last night dominion
> had more outages than all MD and dc combined. Now
> i wake up to find dominion has about 20k less
> outages than them lol

they are making good progress!
Attachments:
outage_1.jpg

Posted by: hawt ()
Date: July 01, 2012 12:49PM

Ya I know it's a pain in the ass, but I just keep thanking the almighty I am not a pepco customer...then I'd be fucked for at least 2 weeks.

Posted by: dabootybandit ()
Date: July 01, 2012 12:58PM

west springfield got power back 9 AM today.

Posted by: bobabooie ()
Date: July 01, 2012 01:20PM

NOVEC!!! Wrote:
> NOVEC is the best- power NEVER went out. Never
> even flickered. I think my power went out once for
> 1 hour in the past 4 YEARS even through all these
> blizzards and everything.
>
> Added to bucket list- go up in one of those bucket
> trucks they use!

It's hard for me to be pissed as the power came back on last night, but my Novec was out for 24 hours.It goes out fequently, sometimes on sunny days. Except for this weekend and the snowmageddon of 2 years ago, they ususally fix it in a couple of hours though.

Posted by: middle school ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:42AM

lilslow Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> -----
> > We are still without power.
>
>
> You have been without power since Jan 27 2011
> ?!?!??????
> That sucks! You should have called in and
> complained.
> Have they still been billing you for that fuel
> surcharge?

lol!

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:44AM

Can someone please link to Virginia Power contact info? I'm not finding it anywhere.

Posted by: NOVEC cust ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:48AM

Friday's storm was HUGE and SCARY! Power went out Friday night. We called NOVEC and the recorded message said we could expect power to be restored Monday, July 2 at 1PM. Husband pulled out the generator, extension cords, old radio to allow phones to be charged, fans to operated and news from the radio. He also used the generator (FROM outside) to run the refriderator!

Around 7PM Saturday night, power was restored. Thanks NOVEC! Feel really bad for those without power!

Posted by: stuppie ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:51AM

NOVEC cust Wrote:
> He also used the generator (FROM
> outside) to run the refriderator!

tell him next time to use it to run the spell checker too

Posted by: tavern dr ()
Date: July 02, 2012 08:28PM

NOVEC cust Wrote:
> Friday's storm was HUGE and SCARY! Power went out
> Friday night. We called NOVEC and the recorded
> message said we could expect power to be restored
> Monday, July 2 at 1PM. Husband pulled out the
> generator, extension cords, old radio to allow
> phones to be charged, fans to operated and news
> from the radio. He also used the generator (FROM
> outside) to run the refriderator!
>
> Around 7PM Saturday night, power was restored.
> Thanks NOVEC! Feel really bad for those without
> power!

you?
Attachments:
novec.jpg

Posted by: novec customer ()
Date: July 02, 2012 08:37PM

stuppie Wrote:
> NOVEC cust Wrote:
> -----
> > He also used the generator (FROM
> > outside) to run the refriderator!
>
> tell him next time to use it to run the spell
> checker too

Okay, you are correct, stuppie STUPID!

Posted by: right on ()
Date: July 02, 2012 09:05PM

Radiophile Wrote:

+1000 :):):)

Posted by: Dominion Power ()
Date: July 02, 2012 11:17PM

All,

Due to worker conditions and labor relations, Dominion has ceased all power restoration efforts until cooler weather prevails (est. High no higher than 75-80F per Collective Barging Agreement). If you do not have power, please patient as your power should be restored in a approximately 2-4 weeks.

Regards,

Dominion Power Customer Support

Posted by: sleepy eyes ()
Date: July 03, 2012 04:47AM

Dominion Power Wrote:
> All,
>
> Due to worker conditions and labor relations,
> Dominion has ceased all power restoration efforts
> until cooler weather prevails (est. High no higher
> than 75-80F per Collective Barging Agreement). If
> you do not have power, please patient as your
> power should be restored in a approximately 2-4
> weeks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dominion Power Customer Support

That gives me the blues.

Posted by: Big Jimm ()
Date: December 10, 2013 04:19AM

davedavedave Wrote:
> Okay lets here about how much you hate Va power
> for letting you go without power for a little
> while.

It SUCKED! My power was out for 20 hours. It just came back on and the temp in the house was 54 degrees.

Posted by: little jim ()
Date: December 10, 2013 04:25AM

Big Jimm Wrote:
> davedavedave Wrote:
> -----
> > Okay lets here about how much you hate Va power
> > for letting you go without power for a little
> > while.
>
>
> It SUCKED! My power was out for 20 hours. It just
> came back on and the temp in the house was 54
> degrees.

Wah!!! Grow a pair.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.