HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone know a good divorce attorney?
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: August 16, 2005 03:53PM

My friend just called and told me her husband asked her to move out. He makes three times the salary she does. She went to find an attorney but the attorney wanted $10,000 just to start proceedings. My friend doesn't have that much now. The couple have a house, 2 kids and a pension to fight over. Any recommendations for a good divorce lawyer?

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone know a good divorce attorney?
Posted by: WAVA ()
Date: August 16, 2005 04:01PM

Just ditch

Posted by: E. Leet ()
Date: August 16, 2005 04:03PM

What city and/or county, Trickie?

Date: August 16, 2005 04:26PM

Fairfax County. And what do you mean, poster, "just ditch". I don't think so.

Trickie

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 16, 2005 04:46PM

First thing she should do is NOT move out. So many people I know did that and lost much bargaining position, either because the opposing spouse tried to nail them for "abandonment" or just used all obvious 9/10 posession advantages.

Date: August 16, 2005 05:36PM

Richard Gibbons is a very effective trial attorney.
http://www.rfglaw.com/

I would highly recommend him!

Date: August 16, 2005 05:46PM

Another good one is Peggy Frankel:
http://mfrankellaw.lawoffice.com/

However, any divorce attorney who is worth your while will want at least a $5K retainer. It would serve your friend well to beg or borrow from friends or relatives. She could also apply for a credit card then get a cash advance on it.

She should refuse to move out. She can be seen as "abandoning" the marriage in court. And where are the kids going to live? She HAS to stay there to maintain her right to custody. Otherwise, she will be seen as "abandoning" her children as well. This will not bode well in future custody hearings.

If he wants to get divorced so badly, he should give her the retainer so they can do it the "right" way and try to settle everything amicably. Divorces with children are always nasty.

Your friend needs to keep in mind if the husband wants a divorce he can get one. She cannot stop him and it is best if she retains counsel as soon as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2005 05:47PM by E. Leet.

Date: August 16, 2005 07:28PM

She might be able to base her retainer on a promisary note with the agreement that she will sell her interest in the house.

Plus we don't know the whole story... the "friend" may have been caught messing around with someone else and may already be eligible for abandonment.

Date: August 17, 2005 10:32AM

Yeah, Trickie,

What is the WHOLE story?

Curious minds want to know!

Date: August 17, 2005 04:43PM

All I know is her side of the story. I work with her, that's it. She is not very popular at work with the higher ups, her kids refuse to talk to her and hubby is hiding all the finances. She is very attractive though.

Sorry I don't know any gory details to give you all a cheap thrill!!!

Posted by: ben ()
Date: August 17, 2005 04:54PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I know is her side of the story. I work with
> her, that's it. She is not very popular at work
> with the higher ups, her kids refuse to talk to
> her and hubby is hiding all the finances. She is
> very attractive though.

Really? How old is she? Do you have a number for her?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2005 04:55PM by ben.

Posted by: JSPITZ ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:33PM

I do, it's called a 45 Mag hahaha. sorry :(

Date: July 06, 2006 10:00AM

Wow this is an old thread. But I decided to do a search before I posted a new thread. Anyways my wife has decided to give up on our marriage and has already moved out of the house. She has moved into an apt and the way I look at it, we're already over with no hope of fixing it. The seperation should be rather straight forward as the only thing left in both of our names is the house. We've already closed up the joint account and have seperated out the money. She's not interested in the house and doesn't have any desire to get "half" of it. The only thing that we have mutually agreed is that she owes me $350 a month to help pay for the mortgage because when we refinanced to get her name on the mortgage, we also put her car on it which is only in her name. We're looking to do a no fault seperation/divorce and we have no children. Anyone have any idea what the best and cheapest way for me to approach this as I don't really have much money to go through an expensive divorce process.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: July 06, 2006 10:05AM

TRICKIE Wrote:
Any recommendations for a
> good divorce lawyer?
>
> Trickie

Something tells me Gravis might know one.

Posted by: Faifax MF-er ()
Date: July 06, 2006 10:07AM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> All I know is her side of the story. I work with
> her, that's it. She is not very popular at work
> with the higher ups, her kids refuse to talk to
> her and hubby is hiding all the finances. She is
> very attractive though.
>
> Sorry I don't know any gory details to give you
> all a cheap thrill!!!

She sounds like a real Ice Queen. I think if you liquor her up, though, she might thaw a little for some lovins'.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 06, 2006 10:11AM

divorce is for quiters. seriously, just work out your problems instead of running away from them. well, unless you are married to some cheating bitch.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 06, 2006 12:22PM

Believe me Gravis, when you are getting a divorce you are not running away from problems, just exchanging them. Especially if you have kids because the legal process will not only suck up all your money and time, but your will to live as well.

No-kid divorces that are truly not contested shouldn't be terribly expensive for Trogdor because it sounds like they both know what they want and have agreed to it. Sorry to hear that happened trogdor, though personally I think if you had any equity in the house at all she is being short-sighted in just letting you have it. Unless of course her name remains on the title and she'll get half the value whenever it gets sold.

Posted by: 345 ()
Date: July 06, 2006 12:23PM

that gold digging biotch

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 06, 2006 12:37PM

I can't believe you even responded to Gravis, pgens. Like he's ever been married or going to be married.

I mean, nothing personal Gravis, but any talk about realtionships coming from you does sound pretty hollow.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Trogdor. If you want to spend the night with some quality whores, gratis, just let me know and I'll have Vito and Carlo down at the club hook it up.

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: July 06, 2006 02:01PM

Oh trogdor, I am so sorry! I hate when marriages go belly up. At least you two are not antagonistic or hateful to each other. I would see if yiu can find a divorce mediator for all the property settlements, then look for a family law attorney to represent you in court. I used to serve legal papers and do some PI work for Sandra Havrilak in Fairfax. She is expensive but there are some good associates who work there who may charge less. Good luck and again, I am sorry about the outcome of your marriage.

Hugs to trogdor!

Trickie

Date: July 06, 2006 03:03PM

Well the thing is that it wasn't really my decision. Actually we went on a cruise to alaska in May, then two weeks after she wanted to move out. Now mind you she has been talking to guys on the internet and thats basically why she left. Which to be honest is fine with me since this is the second time she's done this. She wasn't really ready to get married because she didn't know what to expect. Basically I married an immature extremely dependant and needy spoiled brat. I was just hoping there was a way to keep a lawyer out of the whole thing and just deal with a mediator.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 06, 2006 05:13PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Like he's ever been married or going to be married.

that's just harsh, man... harsh.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: July 06, 2006 06:18PM

Date: July 06, 2006 07:17PM

c'mon gravis, you know I was kidding.

Mostly.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 06, 2006 08:09PM

I think RESton pretty much nailed Gravis.

Now what is this shit about you hanging out in DuPont Circle but you aren't gay?

Date: July 06, 2006 08:17PM

Who me? You know me, I like to go out on the town and have a gay old time. What better place than the circle? The cars go round and round in it.

Posted by: No fault divorce ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:06PM

lawyers are shit

Posted by: T9ueJ ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:21PM

We just smell like shit. It is because we have to roll around in what you created that got you in trouble.

Posted by: nudsenma ()
Date: April 30, 2022 07:33PM

Oh, God! $ 10,000 for a lawyer is a lot. I don't understand why these lawyers are asking for so much money. I faced the same problem. My husband left me with 2 children alone. I had a miserable salary with which I could not even support myself. He didn't want to help me or even officially divorce me. So I resorted to legal separation without many documents but only with the help of https://temeculadivorce.com/area/legal-separation-california/. We broke up legally without filing for legal separation, but all assets and liabilities are divided. I have resorted to this separation to ensure myself with a certain future financial responsibility. That's how I fixed my problem. I recommend you do the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 07:03PM by nudsenma.

Posted by: Zaborro ()
Date: May 26, 2022 11:05AM

I don't want to divorce. This is why I am not to get married. You will never lose what you don't have. So please don't bother me with these wedding stuff.

Posted by: Chronos ()
Date: May 26, 2022 12:35PM

No problem, you still have time, I think. And you will get married later. My sister is 42 and she read https://thekatynews.com/2020/08/19/its-never-too-late-new-relationships-after-40/ to see why it was still not too late. And soon after that she got married to a very good guy who will make a perfect family man.

Posted by: Any VA divorce lawyer knows this ()
Date: May 26, 2022 04:25PM

nudsenma Wrote:
> Oh, God! $ 10,000 for a lawyer is a lot. I don't
> understand why these lawyers are asking for so
> much money. I faced the same problem. My husband
> left me with 2 children alone. I had a miserable
> salary with which I could not even support myself.
> He didn't want to help me or even officially
> divorce me. So I resorted to legal separation
> without many documents but only with the help of
> https://temeculadivorce.com/area/legal-separation-
> california/. We broke up legally without filing
> for legal separation, but all assets and
> liabilities are divided. I have resorted to this
> separation to ensure myself with a certain future
> financial responsibility. That's how I fixed my
> problem. I recommend you do the same.

There are two words in your response that tell me you do not know what you are talking about, and which makes your site worthless. Want to guess where you messed up?

Posted by: Bob bitchin ()
Date: May 29, 2022 05:49AM

The law firm of Smith and Wesson

Posted by: Bob will be bitchin ()
Date: May 29, 2022 07:28PM

Not funny Bob. And I am not just saying that because of your awful timing.

Here's how it plays out. Your wife turns up dead under mysterious circumstances. Or she turns up missing. The number one suspect is the husband. Once the police find out there were marital troubles with a divorce on the horizon and your ticket to the state pen is being printed out. Plus you can bet your wife's family is going to hire a pit bull of an attorney to take away anything of yours that they can find. So now instead of hiring one attorney you are having to hire two.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.