HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Winter Swim Teams
Posted by: Fly MoM ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:30PM

I am trying to find a quality winter swim team. Have heard and seen quite a few good things about CUBU and MACH. Would like to know more about the Potomac Marlins and the MAKOS.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winter Swim Teams
Posted by: ex-NVSL Swimmer ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:39PM

I swam for NVSL (summer swim) for 12 years and did a number of Winter swim programs including:

Solitar
York Swim Club
FISH

I'd recommend all of them.

I've never heard of CUBU or MACH but have heard good things about MAKOS.

Really it all comes down to the coach. You could sign up with a fantastic organization but if the coach running your child's practices isn't watching and improving their stroke it'll be useless.

Pick the one that meets at your closest local REC center. Driving the kids around 3x a week to a far-away place is a pain in the ass.

Posted by: Gaurd ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:04PM

CUBU has an excellent program, MAKOS not bad, Marlins has steadily declined over the last few years. I would start out with anybody to see if your kid is going to be dedicated. If you and your kid are going to stick it out switch to CUBU or RMSC, depending where you live. They are the only to local teams that put out quality swimmers.

Posted by: SwimMom ()
Date: January 22, 2011 09:30AM

Curl-Burke (CUBU), Sea Devil Swimming (SDS), Makos, The Machine and now Shark Tank Racing Squad are all good clubs. All are USA swim Clubs. Depends on the level of your swimmer and the type of coach your swimmers works best with. Coaching styles vary greatly.

Posted by: SwimTaxi ()
Date: January 22, 2011 12:29PM

How old is your child? Most winter swim programs offer different levels depending on age and how competitive your swimmer is. Our kids did Makos a few years ago. We didn't feel they got any real stroke work, so they are now swimming with CUBU. CUBU is more intense but their swimming has really improved.I have one swimmer who loves this sport and swims 5 times a week. Another is doing 3 days.

Posted by: Swim Taxi Too ()
Date: January 22, 2011 07:16PM

I have a swimmer with the Marlins and there is little to no technique being taught. We are seriously considering CUBU even though the drive would be a bit further. We chose the Marlins just to get a feel for winter swim and they have a practice facility close to home. I don't think the coaches are really held accountable. The Marlins picked up a coach from CUBU and everybody was excited, at CUBU he seemed to turn out some quality swimmers. Since coming to the Marlins he has a whole differnt attitude, for the worse. I would not reccomend the Marlins to a serious swimmer. Basically for fun and exercise.

Posted by: STRS ()
Date: January 22, 2011 07:56PM

Shark Tank is fantastic. Your swimmer needs to try out though.

Date: January 23, 2011 05:30AM

Thanks but no thanks on the Shark Tank. From what I have seen and heard about the Shark Tank parents I would not want to be a part of that and, at the last meet we were at with them they were not that impressive in the water.

Posted by: FoxMulder ()
Date: January 23, 2011 08:18AM

Swim Taxi Too Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks but no thanks on the Shark Tank. From what
> I have seen and heard about the Shark Tank parents
> I would not want to be a part of that and, at the
> last meet we were at with them they were not that
> impressive in the water.

What does that mean?

Date: January 23, 2011 08:30AM

I guess it means she doesn't like Shark Tank.. and that she listens to rumors. Every club differs to some degree. ST is new, small and offers personal training and a small coach to swimmer ratio. You won't see 15 swimmers in one lane having to walk half the way in pratitice. If you like a huge club with name recognition then CUBU is where I'd go.

Date: January 23, 2011 09:25AM

Where are the Shark Tank practice facilities, how new are they?

Thanks

Date: January 23, 2011 09:51AM

Sanctioned by USASwim one and a half years ago. Most practices at Sport and Health in Occoquan (not the most convenient, but we car pool). Lee Rec for special practices before meets and South Run for additional/make up practices x1/week.

Date: January 23, 2011 05:44PM

STRS Wrote:
> I guess it means she doesn't like Shark Tank.. and
> that she listens to rumors. Every club differs to
> some degree. ST is new, small and offers personal
> training and a small coach to swimmer ratio. You
> won't see 15 swimmers in one lane having to walk
> half the way in pratitice. If you like a huge
> club with name recognition then CUBU is where I'd
> go.

Ok...rumors aside, this is what I have witnessed...Rude, clique yentas in the stands and less than impressive times.

Posted by: LochNess Monster ()
Date: January 23, 2011 09:12PM

OK, that's the parents. What can you tell me about the Shark Tank coaches?

Posted by: fairjudge ()
Date: January 23, 2011 09:33PM

Hey guess who commenter STRS is? Shark Tank Racing Squad - not very honest about their comments -

Posted by: Sterling ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:15AM

Yeah, I figured that was a Shark Tank promo person. I wouldn't wish Lance Page (STRS head coach) on my worst enemy. The definition of slimy. His assistant Patty Friedman is a wack job too.

Date: January 24, 2011 06:58AM

Wow. You caught me. STRS=Shark Tank Racing Squad. Didn't offer my experience or opinion for Sterling to start saying hateful such things about good people. I'm sure many people have many opinions about many coaches....that's usually what draws people to or away from any team. Nice of you to get started on such a positive note.

Date: January 24, 2011 08:48AM

STRS-you said in a previous post you have to try out. Is that to make the team or to see what practice group you will be placed with? I think the less than impressive times I have seen at the meets speaks for itself as a reflection upon the coaches.

Posted by: novalaplane ()
Date: January 24, 2011 10:39AM

FISH is an excellent team, so is MAKOS. Stay very far away from Shark Tank. Those rumors are true and they are horrible!

Posted by: Tank Dad ()
Date: January 24, 2011 11:07AM

We've had a fantastic experience at Shark Tank. I love the challenge for my swimmers and the fact that even at a young age they do long course. Lots of younger swimmers who love the sport and are full of team spirit and support for their team members. The owner is a great lady (not the assistant) with a passion for the sport and a heart of gold. We get many, many compliments from other great teams. I know better than to listen to rumors because of team rivalry, but really, we have been welcomed everywhere we go and it's nice to swim against the big name clubs like CUBU, The Machine, and Makos because our team is new and small and also to participate in huge meets like the Tom Dolan.

Posted by: SwimWoodbridge ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:21PM

The Tank parents and kids are nice, but the 2 main coaches, very untrustworthy and not well respected by other teams - big blowhards. I think the lady has no swimming background at all - just marketing..i heard they let the really fast kids swim free to get their name out..

No team rivalry here, just observations..

Posted by: Wrong Again ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:26PM

Both have extensive swimming backgrounds.

Posted by: Swim Family 2011 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 07:44AM

No they don't! The FISH coaches, MAKOS coaches, and Machine coaches are so much more knowledgeable and experienced! The Potomac Marlins coaches are horrible too!
Shark Tank coaches are scary, rude, inexperienced, and they lie. Keep your children away from them! In fact, the FISH coaches have coached Olympic swimmers and most of their team attends the Olympic time trials.

Posted by: New Kids ()
Date: January 25, 2011 09:31AM

I see someone is a bit resentful of the new team on the block. Pity you let your anger get to you like that.

Posted by: Ocean Lover ()
Date: January 25, 2011 09:59AM

Swim Family 2011--what do the shark tank coaches lie about?

Posted by: FlyMoM ()
Date: January 25, 2011 01:06PM

Swim Family 2011 Wrote:
> No they don't! The FISH coaches, MAKOS coaches,
> and Machine coaches are so much more knowledgeable
> and experienced! The Potomac Marlins coaches are
> horrible too!
> Shark Tank coaches are scary, rude, inexperienced,
> and they lie. Keep your children away from them!
> In fact, the FISH coaches have coached Olympic
> swimmers and most of their team attends the
> Olympic time trials.

We are considering the Marlins....could you give me more info.

Posted by: Swim Family 2011 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 01:20PM

I have five children, all who swam with USA teams and NVSL teams for the last 23 years. I speak from experience and knowledge, certainly no anger here, no need for defensiveness. I am usually at every USA swim meet in the Washington DC area, and spend every saturday during the summer at an NVSL meet. I have spoken at great length with many coaches, team reps, parents, and swimmers. Again, I speak from experience and knowledge.
If I were to recommend a USA winter swim team to a family, I would recommend that families interview coaches, parents, and swimmers from each team to see which team will best suit their family, most importantly their child. I would recommend in this order:
1. Fish
2. Makos
3. Machine
4. York

I would stay away from:
1. Potomac Marlins (inexperienced and unqualified coaches with poor behavior at meets)
2. Curl Burke (too big, coaches with poor behavior at meets)

I would stay very far away from:
1. Shark Tank (incompetent and unqualified coaches who behave poorly at meets)
I think another poster on this thread said it best, that shark tank is best at marketing themselves.
Again, experience and knowledge, no anger.
All the best to you and your swimmer. The important thing is that the child have fun, and enjoy what they do, because they have to do a lot of swimming for these programs!

Posted by: Swim family too ()
Date: January 25, 2011 03:28PM

I've "heard" the same negativity about all the teams including the Fish. We went with SDS and like it.

Posted by: fusds ()
Date: January 25, 2011 05:50PM

Shark Tank has several top notch swimmers including a PV Zone Team swimmer and a few who consistently fimish in the top 10 of all PV. There are many up and coming swimmers on the team. For a team with only 30 swimmers, I'd say its pretty good. I know teams with 300 swimmers and NO top 10's. Also the Head Coach/Owner is an Olympic medalist.

I also have been involved in USA Swimming and NVSL for 10 years and have 4 swimmers.

Posted by: really? ()
Date: January 25, 2011 06:11PM

Tried to Google the coach of shark tank and olympics - don't find anything - what sport and when?

Date: January 25, 2011 06:32PM

I was looking at some of the top times in the country and the two main PVS teams were RMSC and CUBU. It is hard to get a good mix of location, practice times, coaches etc....We are inbetween Burke, Cub Run and Oak Marr. The Marlins have the schedule we could easily do but....Nobody on here really seems to have anything good to say. I think their web site says they have been a swim team for over 15 years and Bill and Barry Marlin were accomplished swimmers in college but, how much coaching do they actually do with the up and coming swimmers. Seems like a lot of people only want to deal with the high school kids. I guess it's because they really dont have to coach, just tell them to swim laps. Thanks for all the input from everybody......we are still searching.

Posted by: PVSparent ()
Date: January 25, 2011 06:32PM

Here's the only info I can find on the team

http://www.pvswim.org/pvs_club.htm#TANK

Posted by: sk8brd dude ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:16PM

The only Olympic athletes with last name of "Page" on teamusa.org website are Adam Page/US Paralympic team and Robart Page/USA Volleyball. Nothing about a Lance Page so maybe Mr. Shark Tank coach changed his name or is not being truthful.

Posted by: beastswimr ()
Date: January 26, 2011 09:59AM

My swim coaches have always been open and honest about their backgrounds - would be a BIG RED FLAG if a coach/owner lied about being in the olympics!! What a loser...

Date: January 26, 2011 04:26PM

sk8brd dude Wrote:
> The only Olympic athletes with last name of "Page"
> on teamusa.org website are Adam Page/US Paralympic
> team and Robart Page/USA Volleyball. Nothing
> about a Lance Page so maybe Mr. Shark Tank coach
> changed his name or is not being truthful.

Interesting

Posted by: FastestFly ()
Date: January 26, 2011 05:01PM

Or someone misunderstood. I mean really, lie about THAT?

Posted by: novalaplane ()
Date: January 26, 2011 07:15PM

There's just something not right about that team, starting with its "coaches."

Posted by: swimgirl11 ()
Date: January 28, 2011 04:30PM

Did you try the Special Olympics page? Maybe his medal is there?
I heard some pretty horrible things about the Shark Tank coaches from the Rolling Hills swim team rep and coaches. Maybe you should talk to them before signing up with them. i swim on Curle Burke and really like it! I'm going to swim for Case Western next year!

Date: January 28, 2011 05:09PM

swimgirl11 Wrote:
> Did you try the Special Olympics page? Maybe his
> medal is there?
> I heard some pretty horrible things about the
> Shark Tank coaches from the Rolling Hills swim
> team rep and coaches. Maybe you should talk to
> them before signing up with them. i swim on Curle
> Burke and really like it! I'm going to swim for
> Case Western next year!

Swimgirl-Have you swam with other clubs? If so would you list the pros vs. cons? If you could change something about the CUBU program what would it be?

Posted by: BrandyWIN!!!!!!!!! ()
Date: January 28, 2011 07:02PM

Fly MoM Wrote:
> swimgirl11 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Did you try the Special Olympics page? Maybe
> his
> > medal is there?
> > I heard some pretty horrible things about the
> > Shark Tank coaches from the Rolling Hills swim
> > team rep and coaches. Maybe you should talk to
> > them before signing up with them. i swim on
> Curle
> > Burke and really like it! I'm going to swim for
> > Case Western next year!
>
> Swimgirl-Have you swam with other clubs? If so
> would you list the pros vs. cons? If you could
> change something about the CUBU program what would
> it be?

Ah HA! And there it is people. The truth behind the not-so-anonymous hate and bashing. Laurel Hills a little pissed because their coaches left to go to another pool, swimmers followed their coaches, and that pool's (Brandywine) swim team never lost a meet in 2010??? Yup! There certainly is "something about those coaches" I'd say.

Hey swimgirl, got something against the Special Olympics? Shame on you.

Posted by: Backstroke Boy ()
Date: January 29, 2011 04:43PM

BrandyWIN!!!!!!!!! Wrote:
> >
> Ah HA! And there it is people. The truth behind
> the not-so-anonymous hate and bashing. Laurel
> Hills a little pissed because their coaches left
> to go to another pool, swimmers followed their
> coaches, and that pool's (Brandywine) swim team
> never lost a meet in 2010??? Yup! There
> certainly is "something about those coaches" I'd
> say.
>
> Hey swimgirl, got something against the Special
> Olympics? Shame on you.

Who said anything about Laurel Hills? Swimgirl11 only mentioned ROLLING HILLS. How many teams did those Shark Tank coaches piss off anyway and why are they lying about being in the Olympics?

Posted by: BrandyWIN ()
Date: January 29, 2011 05:28PM

Laurel Hills, Rolling Hills whatEVA

Posted by: Poseidon ()
Date: January 29, 2011 05:57PM

My coaches at Makos have been awesome! I agree with some of the posters above--don't get in the Shark Tank.

Posted by: Brandy bye-bye ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:41AM

From what i heard, there will be a mass exodus of Brandywine families leaving the pool if the shark tank coaches return this summer. Theya re certainly not the reason the team did so well these past few years.

Posted by: NVSL fan ()
Date: January 30, 2011 09:02AM

BrandyWIN!!!!!!!!! Wrote:
>
> Ah HA! And there it is people. The truth behind
> the not-so-anonymous hate and bashing. Laurel
> Hills a little pissed because their coaches left
> to go to another pool, swimmers followed their
> coaches, and that pool's (Brandywine) swim team
> never lost a meet in 2010??? Yup! There
> certainly is "something about those coaches" I'd
> say.
>
Don't be so pompous Brandywine. Our team was also undefeated last summer and we didn't have to import swimmers or fradulent coaches from Shark Tank to do it!

Posted by: A random swimmer ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:51PM

poor brandywine, their going to lose a mass of their swimmers, as if we at MW and our issue with CP wasnt enough to deal with already......speaking of which anyone know when division seeding takes place?!? i just want to know! ;)

Posted by: swimming is my life ()
Date: January 30, 2011 08:18PM

A random swimmer Wrote:
> poor brandywine, their going to lose a mass of
> their swimmers, as if we at MW and our issue with
> CP wasnt enough to deal with already......speaking
> of which anyone know when division seeding takes
> place?!? i just want to know! ;)

NVSL Division Seeding is Sunday, Feb. 27 at 2pm. Who's MW and what's CP?

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: January 30, 2011 08:40PM

honestly, i am a high school swimmer. who has swam all around. machine and curle burke is the best choice if your serious about swimming. fish used to be excellent but many of their quality swimmers and coaches has left. marlins, shark tank, sea devils are all awful teams. they have ruined many of my friends strokes teaching the wrong technique leading to a tear in my friends shoulder requiring intensive physical rehab. please for the sake of your child and the success of their child please choose curle burke or machine!

Date: January 30, 2011 10:06PM

swimmer Wrote:
> honestly, i am a high school swimmer. who has swam
> all around. machine and curle burke is the best
> choice if your serious about swimming. fish used
> to be excellent but many of their quality swimmers
> and coaches has left. marlins, shark tank, sea
> devils are all awful teams. they have ruined many
> of my friends strokes teaching the wrong technique
> leading to a tear in my friends shoulder requiring
> intensive physical rehab. please for the sake of
> your child and the success of their child please
> choose curle burke or machine!

That is pretty scary to think a coach could be so ignorant that they could teach a swimmer something that could actually end their swim career.

Posted by: swimgirl11 ()
Date: January 31, 2011 10:26AM

I heard on facebook tht all the kids at brandywine did a petition to have thier real hd coaches return ths smmr with out the shark tank people! that they are not wanted back there eiother!
The shark tank coaches areally aren't coaches - they just say they are and dnt realy have olympic medal.
My high shool coach also says stay away from them.

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: January 31, 2011 11:36AM

Ya know, I have to laugh at most of what is posted above. Most of what is written about all the above mentioned clubs is not very factual. Sounds like one bad experience and someone walks away spreading negative rumors about a former club. I own the Potomac Marlins and I personally know all of the coaches you are blasting above. You're all talking out your butts! Let me clear up a few things for everyone.

1) No club is perfect, including RMSC and CUBU. No matter what you hear, every club has issues with coaches and parents. Every club has great coaches, good coaches and weaker coaches. Every club has pain in the ass parents that cause many of the issues you all hear about. They want to think they know better. Some of these parents actually take their kids to swim practice on their own to try and work on their kids strokes and often times they do more harm than good even though their intentions are noble...Let your coaches coach! If you have issues, TALK to your childs Coach and try to work it out before leaving and spreading negative rumors.

2) Every club at the age group level is teaching the same things. Some do it better than others but almost every club out there is similar in what they are doing with kids 10 & Under. Go talk with the coach and watch a few workouts to see if the program is a good fit for your child. If you think it is, have your child participate in a few workouts. Do this with 2-3 different clubs, then make your decision. Please don't listen to some bone head on a blog with an ax to grind!

3) Where the separation of clubs occurs is at the Senior level. After all, aren't your kids in the sport for the long haul? Some of the above mentioned clubs have their age group kids swimming too much too soon and although they can produce fast age group swimmers, these same swimmers often get burnt out very early and quit the sport. If your 12 year old is swimming 2 hours a day 6 days a week (which some of these young kids are doing in some above mentioned clubs) what are they going to do when they are senior swimmers and really need to train that much to keep improving? Some kids are swimming more in High School than they are allowed to swim in college...what do you think will happen to that athlete when they go off and swim in college doing less work than they did in High School? 9 times out of 10 they get slower...what fun is there in that? Choose a club that has your child's best interest at heart and is more conerned about your child improving every year vs. getting everything they can as early as they can to boost a coaches ego and then they get forgotten about as they get older and slower. It happens and is something parents don't think about. Potomac Marlins and Machine are both great clubs in this regard. (there are others too)

4) To clarify some of the above comments re: Potomac Marlins...If you did your homework you would know that Potomac Marlins has sent 4 swimmers to Olympic Trials, 5 swimmers to USA Senior Nationals, over 30 swimmers to Jr. Nationals and Sectionls both. So how can you say that Potomac Marlins does not produce quality swimmers? Do your homework before bashing my clubs quality please.

The CUBU Coach that started coaching with us 10 years ago has gotten better not worse and his swimmers absolutly love him. The kids are his primary concern and he teaches great stroke technique. He can be a little rough around the edges at times but no one can question his integrity! I can say the same about the rest of my staff as well.

Questionable coach behavior on deck at meets?? Are you kidding me? My staff is one of the most knowledgable and well respected out there. This is not me saying that, this is what I am being told by fellow PVS coaches! If you knew what I know about some questionalble coach behavior on one of the above mentioned "Best Clubs" you'd pull your kids out and get as far away as you could. Many clubs and many sports have their skeletons in the closet that just are not public knowledge yet.

The Marlins are a technique oriented club. Yes, we did drift away from that several years ago at two of our locations but the sign of a great club and leader is recognizing that and making changes. I did this. My staff is one of the better staff's in the entire area now. I addressed these concerns with my staff and my team parents and the changes have been made and things are way better. We are once again producing top quality age group swimmers with great looking strokes and a committment to their long term success in the sport.

PM has an extreemly LOW incidence of injury. 99.9 % of all injuries reported to our staff have stemmed from other sports related injuries or school gym class, NOT from swimming with poor technique. Again, unknowledgible parents making assumptions. Get your facts straight before commenting publicaly.

Someone mentioned above that my club has fallen off over the years. This was true but it is not true now. Did you all know that CUBU really fell off when Rick Curl left his club several years ago for Austrailia? He recognized that and came home and fixed things. It happens, even to the best of us. Again, we corrected it and are once again a leader in PVS.

Please, do your homework and don't get your info from a bone head on a blog.

If you are looking for a year round USA Swim club, go visit them, talk with them, try them out and make your own decisions and form your own opinions. There are many good clubs with good coaches out there. Trust me, The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

If you are looking into Potomac Marlins, call me and we can talk. My contact info is on our team website at www.potomacmarlins.com

Date: January 31, 2011 05:27PM

Bill, do you handle the admin side of things or do you coach too?

Posted by: A random swimmer ()
Date: January 31, 2011 06:35PM

Mosby woods and crosspointe, its an upper division thing. and thank you for telling me :)

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: January 31, 2011 08:12PM

FlyMom

Yes, I do both. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Date: January 31, 2011 08:24PM

Thank you, Bill. Always a pleasure seeing you on deck.

Date: February 01, 2011 03:04PM

Hy fly mom - all in all - you would be best at watching the practices of the teams you are interested in - from afar, so they don't know you are there and you can see how they really work with the kids. Then, interview the coaches and have your child talk to them too. Make sure the locations are convenient for your family, because they have to go there a lot. You want it to be the best experience for your child. Still, I'd stay away from shark tank. They have not had positive experiences and say their coach has an olympic medal when he doesn't, and there's a lot of negative out there about them. Best to you!

Posted by: To Swimmer ()
Date: February 01, 2011 03:34PM

The only negatives are you and your many (transparent) aliases on this thread.

Date: February 01, 2011 04:35PM

Bill, I was looking at the web site and I see you have a stroke work shop comming up. Is teaching technique not part of the practices?

Posted by: fairjudge ()
Date: February 01, 2011 07:11PM

Back again to clarify that the "Brandywin!!!" poster appears to be the shark tank coach - and after looking at nvsl records, Brandywine was undefeated the year before they arrived..

they seem to becoming angrier, and still no clarity on the olympics boast...

hmmmmm....

Posted by: swimtaxi ()
Date: February 01, 2011 07:16PM

I agree, learn as much as you can, talk to parents both pro and con, watch practices and how the coaches interact and teach, and listen to your kids - the right fit is out there -

Date: February 01, 2011 07:29PM

No STRS coach boasted about an olympic medal. Not very "fair" to make assertions, is it, fair judge ? Someone has their information wrong. Happens a lot in these forums. You'll notice all posts in support of STRS have not supported that claim either. So, fairjudge, swimmer, swim girl and all your other personalities, please shut up because I'm just not sure I can resist posting "facts" about your coaches much longer. Oh, and I have better sources than Facebook.

Date: February 01, 2011 07:43PM

Swim Family 2011 Wrote:
I would stay away from:
> 1. Potomac Marlins (inexperienced and unqualified
> coaches with poor behavior at meets)
> 2. Curl Burke (too big, coaches with poor behavior
> at meets)
>
> I would stay very far away from:
> 1. Shark Tank (incompetent and unqualified coaches
> who behave poorly at meets)
> I think another poster on this thread said it
> best, that shark tank is best at marketing
> themselves.
> Again, experience and knowledge, no anger.
> All the best to you and your swimmer. The
> important thing is that the child have fun, and
> enjoy what they do, because they have to do a lot
> of swimming for these programs!
> 2.

I can honestly say I have not witnessed any bad behavior at meets from any of the Marlin coaches. The Marlins do run a well organized meet.

Posted by: Stroke-n-Turn Dad ()
Date: February 02, 2011 11:15AM

Thanks for the informative post by Bill Marlin of the Potomac Marlins. Does Shark Tank have a website where people can get info about the team, coaching philosophy, and coaches backgrounds?

Date: February 02, 2011 04:16PM

Of course they don't have a web site. STRS (who is probably Patty) is a litle defensive herebecasue thr are actually several ppl on this list who agree that anyone who wants a good winter swim program should stay away from the shark tank. They intrude on and ruin the atmosphere of summer swim clubs just to get lane time for their team. Really, they should just leave NVSL alone.

Posted by: SpongeBob ()
Date: February 03, 2011 08:51PM

No website is a bad sign. What is Shark Tank Racing Squad trying to hide? Maybe that Patty Friedman has no swimming background? They take over NVSL summer swim teams to market themselves and their own year-round swimmers.

Posted by: smellsfunny ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:30PM

Something is weird with these shark tank coaches if they don't give their background, makes you wonder what is there to hide? all flash no substance..

Posted by: curious> ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:34PM

SpongeBob Wrote:
> No website is a bad sign. What is Shark Tank
> Racing Squad trying to hide? Maybe that Patty
> Friedman has no swimming background? They take
> over NVSL summer swim teams to market themselves
> and their own year-round swimmers.

Which NVSL teams?

Posted by: SpongeBob ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:38PM

curious> Wrote:
> SpongeBob Wrote:
> -----
> > No website is a bad sign. What is Shark Tank
> > Racing Squad trying to hide? Maybe that Patty
> > Friedman has no swimming background? They take
> > over NVSL summer swim teams to market
> themselves
> > and their own year-round swimmers.
>
>
> Which NVSL teams?

See posts above or talk to current/former coaches of these NVSL teams: Laurel Hills, Rolling Hills, and Brandywine

Posted by: how exactly ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:45PM

How exactly does one take over an NVSL team? The club hires and can fire the coach. At best you'll get one bad season, and the poor coach will be gone.

Date: February 04, 2011 09:37AM

Shark Tank has nothing to hide. All of their inforamtion is right there on the PVS website, so you don't need to continuously post names and phone numbers on the Internet. Oh wait, you do that because you have a PERSONAL ax to grind and here you can hide behind anonymity. Shark Tank does not have a website because they don't need to advertise. Their mission is to keep their team small.

Posted by: willow ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:59AM

It seems like Shark Tank has rubbed a lot of posters here the wrong way. If they have nothing to hide, what is the background of the coaches and why do they keep jumping around to different NVSL teams?

Posted by: sea devil swimmer ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:19AM

how exactly Wrote:
> How exactly does one take over an NVSL team? The
> club hires and can fire the coach. At best you'll
> get one bad season, and the poor coach will be
> gone.

Bad coaches dont go away if rents in charge dont listen to us swimmers.

Date: February 04, 2011 02:55PM

here's what i hrd happnd at b-wine: the new swim tm rep at b-wine has absolutely no idea how to do the job so she got the shark "coachs" to do all the work for her. She drove away the team of real coaches who were there for 5 years that took the team to two undefeated seasons and moving up 2 division (without shark coachs). the kids of b-wine did a petition wanting themback but the new swim team rep wants the sharks because she's trouble just like they are. they dont want the sharks at b-wine either! nvrmnd what they did at rolling hills..

Posted by: nemo ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:11PM

swimmer Wrote:
nvrmnd what they did at
> rolling hills..

What did they do at rolling hills?

Posted by: just a parent ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:12PM

swimmer Wrote:
> here's what i hrd happnd at b-wine: the new swim
> tm rep at b-wine has absolutely no idea how to do
> the job so she got the shark "coachs" to do all
> the work for her. She drove away the team of real
> coaches who were there for 5 years that took the
> team to two undefeated seasons and moving up 2
> division (without shark coachs). the kids of
> b-wine did a petition wanting themback but the new
> swim team rep wants the sharks because she's
> trouble just like they are. they dont want the
> sharks at b-wine either! nvrmnd what they did at
> rolling hills..

My word, that is a lot of drama for Division 13.

Posted by: my suggestion ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:20PM

just a parent Wrote:
> swimmer Wrote:
> -----
> > here's what i hrd happnd at b-wine: the new
> swim
> > tm rep at b-wine has absolutely no idea how to
> do
> > the job so she got the shark "coachs" to do all
> > the work for her. She drove away the team of
> real
> > coaches who were there for 5 years that took
> the
> > team to two undefeated seasons and moving up 2
> > division (without shark coachs). the kids of
> > b-wine did a petition wanting themback but the
> new
> > swim team rep wants the sharks because she's
> > trouble just like they are. they dont want the
> > sharks at b-wine either! nvrmnd what they did
> at
> > rolling hills..
>
>
> My word, that is a lot of drama for Division 13.

My kids pool hires a head coach. All assistant coaches come from the pool - they are members children in HS and College and swim/swam with the team. That means the Head Coach is supervising the members kids as his/her assistants. No very fair to the head coach I'll admit, but a greate feedback mechanism. The idea of turning over a program to coaching company (any) just doesn't seem like a very good idea to me for NVSL. It's also only a 1 year contract - always up for evaluation.

Posted by: IM mom ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:31PM

my suggestion Wrote:
>
>
> My kids pool hires a head coach. All assistant
> coaches come from the pool - they are members
> children in HS and College and swim/swam with the
> team. That means the Head Coach is supervising
> the members kids as his/her assistants. No very
> fair to the head coach I'll admit, but a greate
> feedback mechanism. The idea of turning over a
> program to coaching company (any) just doesn't
> seem like a very good idea to me for NVSL. It's
> also only a 1 year contract - always up for
> evaluation.

Good suggestion. I think kids would rather be coached by their older teammates or former teammates any day rather than some adult coach who doesn't even know them. NVSL should ban professional coaches.

Posted by: my suggestion ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:34PM

I'm ok with professional coaches, but not coaching companies.

I see that in my kids other sports - the best, most enjoyable sports have heavy parent involvement, and the most drama filled have the professional coaching companies involved. If you need a professional coach, hire them individually.

Posted by: Tank dad ()
Date: February 04, 2011 04:05PM

willow Wrote:
> It seems like Shark Tank has rubbed a lot of
> posters here the wrong way. If they have nothing
> to hide, what is the background of the coaches and
> why do they keep jumping around to different NVSL
> teams?

Not really Willow, at least I don't think so. We're a very small team of 35 swimmers. I'm pretty sure most of the nasty posts have come from one person....who runs their mouth non stop.

Posted by: just a parent ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:18PM

IM mom Wrote:
> my suggestion Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> > My kids pool hires a head coach. All assistant
> > coaches come from the pool - they are members
> > children in HS and College and swim/swam with
> the
> > team. That means the Head Coach is supervising
> > the members kids as his/her assistants. No
> very
> > fair to the head coach I'll admit, but a greate
> > feedback mechanism. The idea of turning over a
> > program to coaching company (any) just doesn't
> > seem like a very good idea to me for NVSL.
> It's
> > also only a 1 year contract - always up for
> > evaluation.
>
> Good suggestion. I think kids would rather be
> coached by their older teammates or former
> teammates any day rather than some adult coach who
> doesn't even know them. NVSL should ban
> professional coaches.

I have always had a hard time figuring out why people take NVSL all that seriously. A summer league... the most anyone swims in a meet that matters is a 50 (ignoring the exhibition 100 IM's).

NVSL should be mostly for fun,comradery,to enjoy the spirit of competition, and maybe a little bit of bragging rights. But instead people (parents by-and-large) make it out to be such a big deal it takes on a life of its own and of far more importance than it really deserves. And then there are places like Chesterbrook, Overlee, Crosspointe,etc. good grief. And VAC - they didn't come close to winning a meet but their pride probably won't allow them to accept being bumped out of Div. 1.

I guess the drama isn't limited to Div. 13.

Posted by: swim parent ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:50PM

just a parent Wrote:
And then
> there are places like Chesterbrook, Overlee,
> Crosspointe,etc. good grief.

I'll share a story from a few years ago.

Chesterbrook has two pools. I was working as an official on a B meet on a visiting team. The Chesterbrook team is huge, and for whatever reasons we did not have many swimmers at that particular B meet. Of course, the meet went on forever, since the majority of Chesterbrook only ever swims in B meets.

It was late, I was there alone with my kids, and I was, as I said, officiating. I could not leave, but I was getting a little tired of doing nothing but working for the Chesterbrook kids. My kids were done swimming, so I told them to go swim in the second pool they have while I finished working the meet.

As soon as my kids hit the water in the other pool, the lifeguards came over to throw them out - no visiting team kids allowed to swim in the second pool. It was close to 9PM, they still had 20 parents from the visiting team helping finish for pretty much just their swimmers, and they would not let our kids swim in the second pool? My kids have been in NVSL a while, and that had to be the most obnoxious, unmannerly thing I think I've ever seen.

Thankfully we have not been there since, but I will never go back there - they have no class whatsoever.

Posted by: Michael Phelps ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:06PM

my suggestion Wrote:
--
> My kids pool hires a head coach. All assistant
> coaches come from the pool - they are members
> children in HS and College and swim/swam with the
> team. That means the Head Coach is supervising
> the members kids as his/her assistants. No very
> fair to the head coach I'll admit, but a greate
> feedback mechanism. The idea of turning over a
> program to coaching company (any) just doesn't
> seem like a very good idea to me for NVSL. It's
> also only a 1 year contract - always up for
> evaluation.

A head coach and a few assistant coaches---that's all an NVSL team needs. This is not the Olympics folks.

Posted by: dive master ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:56PM

Michael Phelps Wrote:
>
> A head coach and a few assistant coaches---that's
> all an NVSL team needs. This is not the Olympics
> folks.

That's awesome that Michael Phelps decided to visit Fairfax Underground! You should straighten out those brandywhiners who think they need shark tank coaches to compete in the NVSL.

Posted by: Brandywine mom ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:53PM

I am a Brandywine mom and the sharks are NOT welcome back. The new swim team rep loves them and is the only one who wants them. Our previous coaches were Wonderful and leading the team for the past four years to 2 undefeated seasons, developing the swimmers as they grew. They were a great team of coaches who grew up swimming in our community. and Now the new rep and the sharks are ruining the team and the pool . Many families are not returning because of the new team rep and the sharks. The sharks were the worst thing that happened to brandywine.

Date: February 04, 2011 09:57PM

That is unbelievable!

Posted by: BrandyWIN!! ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:00PM

Brandywine mom Wrote:
> I am a Brandywine mom and the sharks are NOT
> welcome back. The new swim team rep loves them and
> is the only one who wants them. Our previous
> coaches were Wonderful and leading the team for
> the past four years to 2 undefeated seasons,
> developing the swimmers as they grew. They were a
> great team of coaches who grew up swimming in our
> community. and Now the new rep and the sharks are
> ruining the team and the pool . Many families are
> not returning because of the new team rep and the
> sharks. The sharks were the worst thing that
> happened to brandywine.

Oh, please! Liar, Liar, pants on fire.

Posted by: Father Time ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:40PM

The Chesterbrook parents who are "timers" at their "A" meets habitually "err" in favor of their team.

Yes, I know that there are timers from the opponent on each lane also, but for the lanes that have 2 Chesterbrook times for the opposing swimmer, they definitely stop their watches late to inflate the times (middle time is recorded as official), and in the lanes with Chesterbrook swimmers and one Chesterbrook timer, that timer's watch is ALWAYS the fastest time, such that the next fastest (the faster of the two opponent's watches) will be official.

Never seen that with any other team in three seasons of D1 swimming. You would think that these people would realize that when their kids went to real swim meets, the electronic timers do not allow skewing of results!

Posted by: bwine rent ()
Date: February 05, 2011 07:51AM

Phelps would not be a welcomed coach at BWine unless he would toe the line with rep. True. We had great coaches and a fun team. Now we have unrest and families actually leaving the entire pool due to swim team stuff. 2 things happened before the issues arose. New rep and Tank coaches. Not hard to figure out.

Date: February 05, 2011 08:29AM

Makes no sense to change coaches from consecutive winning seasons, not to mention they were fine members of the community who the kids loved and they grew up with the pool. A great example of a bad pool board, worse team rep and a few loud mouths who care nothing about the children, and who publicly lambaste perfectly good people. Thanks shark tank!

Posted by: swimmmmer ()
Date: February 05, 2011 04:52PM

I have swam at Brandywine for many years, and it used to be by favorite part of the summer. We had really nice and fun coaches from the neighborhood, who were in high school or college. Last year, the new team rep decided to hire some annoying coaches from shark tank, who do not even live in our neighborhood. I think they are liars who do not know what they are doing, and I have personally witnessed them trying to recruit some of our swimmers for their Shark Tank team. They messed up our swim team, and brought in new swimmers (who not live in our area either), who broke several team records from 30 years ago. This summer, they are hiring another new coach, and our old coaches (who had swam on the team themselves), are not coming back. Yeah, I wonder why.

Posted by: change is not always good ()
Date: February 06, 2011 07:10AM

Brandywine mom Wrote:
> I am a Brandywine mom and the sharks are NOT
> welcome back. The new swim team rep loves them and
> is the only one who wants them.

The new team rep also happens to be on the Brandywine pool board so it's no surprise that the Shark Tank coaches were rehired. The Shark Tank coaches will be "Stroke Mechanics Coaches" and "Team Managers" along with a high school coach from another pool that the kids don't know who will be a "Core Workout Coach" and an assistant who will help with the developmental team. The longtime tradition of hiring high school/college head coaches from the neighborhood and keeping the best interests of the kids in mind has sadly disappeared, along with team spirit.

Date: February 06, 2011 07:11AM

Fly MoM Wrote:
> Bill, I was looking at the web site and I see you
> have a stroke work shop comming up. Is teaching
> technique not part of the practices?

Hmmm......lack of response is making me wonder

Posted by: Brandywine Mom ()
Date: February 06, 2011 07:15AM

Whoever you are, this is absolutely no lie. It is the truth, and yes, many, many, many people, especially at Brandywine, believe that the new swim team rep, the shark people, all need to go away because of all the horrible things they have done to the fine people in our community. Not just one person here, it appears there are many.

Posted by: marshall ()
Date: February 06, 2011 07:47AM

BrandyWIN!! Wrote:
>
> Oh, please! Liar, Liar, pants on fire.

This poster is probably a Shark Tank coach who is in denial and who actually thinks that ppl want them back at Brandywine.

Posted by: swimmer2 ()
Date: February 06, 2011 08:00AM

Wow!!! Shark Tank this, Shark Tank that...It sounds like a small team with a big rep! I find it hard to believe that so "many" people have an issue with them. I am a PVS swimmer and I have seen them in action. It is amazing. Whoever you are (Brandywine mom, IM mom, etc). I think that you should take Bill's advice do your homework. There are always two-sides to a story and Shark Tank would not have the kind of influence that it does if it where all negative. Makes me wonder why you have a chip on your shoulder? Hmmm.

Posted by: swimmer3 ()
Date: February 06, 2011 09:25AM

swimmer2 Wrote:
> I think that
> you should take Bill's advice do your homework.
> There are always two-sides to a story and Shark
> Tank would not have the kind of influence that it
> does if it where all negative.

It's hard to do homework about Shark Tank when they don't have a website. I'm also a PVS swimmer and have not been impressed by Shark Tank times or their attitude at meets. I wonder why they want to cause so much drama in NVSL instead of focusing on building their own team. Hmmm.

Posted by: curious???? ()
Date: February 06, 2011 10:22AM

Google of 'Lance Page swimming' or 'Lance Page shark tank' returns no other hits than this discussion.

Posted by: just an observer ()
Date: February 06, 2011 11:11AM

I don't know if many Brandywine people have an issue with Shark Tank per se. They're professional coaches, and they want to make a living just like the rest of us. The issue is that Brandywine has a long history of home-grown coaches and swimmers from the surrounding neighborhood. The advent of pro coaches, non-neighborhood swimmers who are breaking decades-old records, and a different, more competitive spirit to the team is what is disturbing to some members. Add to that the fact that pool members were not notified of these changes until they had already taken place...I think a lot of people will be voting with their feet next summer.

swimmer2 Wrote:
> Wow!!! Shark Tank this, Shark Tank that...It
> sounds like a small team with a big rep! I find it
> hard to believe that so "many" people have an
> issue with them. I am a PVS swimmer and I have
> seen them in action. It is amazing. Whoever you
> are (Brandywine mom, IM mom, etc). I think that
> does if it where all negative. Makes me wonder
> why you have a chip on your shoulder? Hmmm.

Posted by: Triton Dad ()
Date: February 06, 2011 01:02PM

swimmmmer Wrote:
I have personally
> witnessed them trying to recruit some of our
> swimmers for their Shark Tank team.

Shark Tank did this at Laurel Hill too and it was not appreciated.

Date: February 06, 2011 02:47PM

swimmer2 Wrote:
> Wow!!! Shark Tank this, Shark Tank that...It
> sounds like a small team with a big rep! I find it
> hard to believe that so "many" people have an
> issue with them. I am a PVS swimmer and I have
> seen them in action. It is amazing. Whoever you
> are (Brandywine mom, IM mom, etc). I think that
> does if it where all negative. Makes me wonder
> why you have a chip on your shoulder? Hmmm.

+1

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.