HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Osama M. El-Atari (Lurch from Sports Junkies butt buddy)
Posted by: arsonists daughter ()
Date: January 20, 2011 04:51PM

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/2011/01/loudoun_sheriff_donates_contro.html?wprss=virginiapolitics

Posted at 4:23 PM ET, 01/20/2011
Loudoun sheriff donates controversial funds to charity
By Caitlin Gibson

After public pressure to return a $15,000 campaign contribution made by former Loudoun restaurateur and convicted felon Osama M. El-Atari, Loudoun Sheriff Steve Simpson made 15 donations of $1,000 each to local nonprofit organizations in December, according to a campaign finance report released Tuesday.

El-Atari, an Ashburn resident who owned several area restaurants and was sentenced to 12 years in prison in August for fraudulently borrowing more than $71 million from banks in Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee and Ohio, was locally known for his extravagant lifestyle and expensive cars. He was also known for making large donations to local political candidates, including roughly $35,000 to Simpson's reelection campaign in 2007 and 2008, according to campaign finance records.

The Washington Post reported in August that El-Atari first committed bank fraud in 2007, when he used a fake insurance policy to get a $5 million loan from a bank in Vienna. He continued to perpetrate a series of similar scams through winter of 2009.

In a Nov. 30 editorial, the Loudoun Times-Mirror called on Simpson to return a campaign donation of about $15,000 made by El-Atari in May 2008, after Simpson had won reelection. The Times-Mirror noted that other elected officials had returned questionable funds or made donations to charity.

"Money in politics today is complex, yet we seek to make a simple request. ... It's time to signal that the 'I' affiliation following your name doesn't just stand for 'independent,' but -- instead -- for 'integrity.' It's not too late," the editorial said.

According to the Jan. 18 report, Simpson made $1,000 donations to each of 15 local nonprofits Dec. 9, including the Salvation Army, the Community Holiday Coalition, Prison Fellowship Ministries, the Loudoun Abused Women's Shelter, Loudoun Interfaith Relief, the Good Shepherd Alliance, Loudoun County Christmas in April, the Loudoun United Way, Loudoun County Crime Solvers, paws4people, the Animal Welfare Rescue and Educational Foundation, the 4-H Club, Keep Loudoun Beautiful, the Katelyn Hall
Foundation and Habitat for Humanity.

Simpson told The Post that he decided to make the donations to ease any concerns that the public had about his campaign.

"I guess because it became controversial, I decided that that's not where the focus needs to be. I felt like if it caused folks concern, I wanted to eliminate any of those concerns," Simpson said. "The money was taken in good faith, [El-Atari] violated that trust and that good faith, and I felt betrayed as well."

Simpson also wanted to take the opportunity to help the community around the holidays, he said.

"That's why I chose that time" to make the donation, Simpson said. "I figured it could do some good around the holiday season."

Simpson, who is running as an independent, is seeking his fifth term as county sheriff this year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Osama M. El-Atari (Lurch from Sports Junkies butt buddy)
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: January 20, 2011 05:47PM

So he gave the stolen money to other people and now it's all better. Got it.

Obama: Released Taliban Prisoners Could ‘Absolutely’ Pose Threat to U.S
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 20, 2011 06:48PM

He could have returned it to a victims fund of some sort, but there's less PR and fewer potential votes in that.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 12:14PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Loudoun Insider ()
Date: January 22, 2011 01:54PM

I've been following this story for some time now. If anyone has any more info to add, feel free to comment here:

http://www.tooconservative.com/?p=8319

Lots of other stuff in older posts about el-Atari and him being pals with Loudoun's Sheriff. I'd be particularly interested in any tales of his relationship with the Sheriff and how he seemingly had free reign to do whatever he wanted in Loudoun County.

Posted by: steveISaFAKE ()
Date: June 11, 2011 01:44AM

Steve helped Osama get out of jail many times. How do I know? Because I was there when it happened. Osama was the only Loudoun County resident that had 31 points on his driving record and WAS STILL ALLOWED TO DRIVE. not 10, not 15, BUT 31 POINTS... Wonder what Steve Simpson would say about that.

Posted by: DMV ()
Date: June 12, 2011 08:17AM

Simpson has no control over license suspensions, that is the DMV. Now if tix were being fixed prior to being entered into record, then there could be a problem. Thad being said, I never heard any rumors of that.

Posted by: steveISaFAKE ()
Date: June 15, 2011 08:07PM

Rumors? You shouldn’t base your opinion on rumors- Know the facts. Osama had Steve Simpson’s home phone number on the back of his county business card - when Osama got pulled over he would just call him at home! Steve is a dirty cop. The truth will come out in time - dont worry.

Posted by: Lurchy ()
Date: June 20, 2011 10:23AM

nobody told me about any of this, i just liked driving the guys cars......

Posted by: used condom ()
Date: September 05, 2013 01:55PM

fucking scumbag

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.