HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5
Fairfax High School student | Nick Stuban
Posted by: BraddockDistrict ()
Date: January 20, 2011 02:27PM

Anyone know the student's name?

Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:03 PM
Subject: Sad News

(Sent by Jeff Yost, Principal)

Moments ago I sent the following message to the Woodson High School Staff...

"To: Woodson HS All (I plan to forward the same message via a KIT shortly to our families)

I am not sure how many of you have heard, but a student who used to attend Woodson High School until earlier this school year, has died. The young man was a 10th grader at Woodson earlier this year and was currently attending Fairfax High School. All of this student’s teachers have been spoken to about the situation and I need all of your eyes and ears for the following.

Should you see students/staff in distress and/or in need of consoling, please feel free to be the concerned caring adults I know all of you are and contact Student Services as necessary. More information may follow tomorrow.

The impact of these types of situations sometimes is not immediate, so as we come to school tomorrow and beyond, please be alert to this need for the Woodson community.

Should you have any questions, please call at 703-503-4606."

edit by Cary: Added "Nick Stuban" to the subject line for list-page clarity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2011 04:30PM by Cary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax High School student
Posted by: FHS Student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 04:14PM

Haven't heard anything about a sophomore passing. We (unfortunately) recently had a graduate from last year pass but thankfully that's been all.

Posted by: centreville1 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 04:46PM

Is this a typo? Are you sure you didn't mean "Westfield" High School?

Posted by: FHS Student 2 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 04:48PM

Are you kidding me? "That's been all" We had too many deaths this and last year. I can't remember, but it was well over 5 or 6 if I recall.

Posted by: FHS Student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 04:59PM

"thats been all" meaning recently. I completely agree- it's been WAY too many and I'm still shaken by what happened last year. Even regardless of which school they go to or age for that matter it's a tragedy to have something like that happen

Posted by: da teach ()
Date: January 20, 2011 05:34PM

Not the same kid...Scott (from FHS) graduated last year...I have no idea who the woodson kid was...)

Posted by: sad when kids die ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:03PM

according to an email from FHS principal - the students name was Nicholas Stuban

Posted by: student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:15PM

His name was nick stuban, he went to woodson but left in november to go to fairfax. I knew him well and sat next to him for months in a class we had together

Posted by: BraddockStudent ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:29PM

Does anyone know how he passed? I went to middle school at Frost with him...

Date: January 20, 2011 07:29PM

very sad. car crash closed Fairfax Blvd and 123 yesterday afternoon. wonder if this was the cause of death??

Posted by: A neighbor ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:32PM

Suicide

Date: January 20, 2011 07:34PM

so sorry for the family.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:34PM

I know of a cannibal that "passed" a student

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: wtwstudent ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:42PM

No, he was a classmate, they did mean woodson

Posted by: FHS student/friend ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:48PM

how did he pass away)): i'm really confused if anybody knows please say so. I can't believe this

Posted by: FHS parent ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:51PM

So very sorry... "a neighbor" above stated it was suicide (7:32pm) I hope they are wrong....

Posted by: Woodson student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:53PM

He was a woodson student and then left to ffx. He committed suicide and was a sophmore. I have no idea how he committed suicide, but may he rest in peace.

Posted by: braddock student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:53PM

jenna pratts kicked him out on the middle of the highway over the weekend...

Posted by: woodson student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:54PM

im pretty sure it was suicide :( although i dont know how or when.

Posted by: FHS Soph ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:55PM

I think it's more like 8 or 9 students, there was on or two who didnt have the information released at all

Posted by: fhs student/friend ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:58PM

are you sure it was a suicide..?

Posted by: woodson student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:07PM

They found him in the woodson behind frost. suicide today . Woodson expelled him from the school not very long ago...

Posted by: Friend. ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:19PM

We were friends in middle school...he talked to me about his issues. Never thought it would come to this.

Date: January 20, 2011 08:23PM

Why was he expelled?

Posted by: Neighbor ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:23PM

Rumors start so quickly -- He was NOT in the WOODS behind frost. Not sure where that came from. He was found in his own backyard.

Posted by: Neighbor ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:24PM

His mother has ALS, and he has raised a lot of money for the ALS foundation by the way, but nobody ever saw this coming.

Posted by: a longtime classmate/neighbor ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:25PM

Just to clarify everything...he went to woodson and was kicked out in november and transfered to FFX. He later commited suicide. I have memories of having classes with him from 2nd grade to 10th grade and he was a great kid. Only a couple months ago, i remember working with him on labs in science and nobody ever saw it coming. Also, he was an only child and his mom is chronically ill, being a longtime sufferer of ALS. You can only imagine how hard it is on his dad losing his only child and having to care for his dying wife. RIP NICK STUBAN

Posted by: unknown ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:16PM

this is tragically sad..i didnt know him but have friends who did. RIP

Date: January 20, 2011 09:24PM

agreed. let's hope that the nasty people who get apparent satisfaction in encouraging and promoting insulting and inappropriate comments under these circumstances will STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS POST!!!!

Posted by: Rest in peace! ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:44PM

Nothing worse to lose a child. The grief will never end. I understand if you do not want to live. It is a choice. If you knew what it would do to your parents you would not do it. Suicide is not the easy way out. For some it is the only way out. Life sometimes is not worth the pain. If only others understood.

Posted by: A parent ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:15PM

Suicide is NEVER the way out. There is help, there is hope. If you or anyone you may know is contemplating or having suicidal thoughts...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE contact a counselor, a clergy, the suicide hotline. Life is precious and even though you may not think so, you are probably precious to many around you.

Posted by: Woodson Student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:33PM

i went to school with nick and just remeber him laughing and joking with me he was such a nice and wonderful person, ill miss you running up and down the hallways.

Posted by: Robinson Student ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:53PM

Yeah, I went to Frost with him too... that's really sad :( I remember he was bullied though... I hope that wasn't the cause...

Posted by: Fairfax Grad ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:59PM

If This is caused by bullying i really wish all bullies would burn in hell
they r assholes who dont deserve to live even if they do realize what they did
IT'S TOO LATE IM SORRY THERE IS NO BRINGING HIM BACK!!
little punks like them r scum to the earth....

Date: January 20, 2011 11:21PM

I was in Boy Scouts with him for a while. He was a great kid. I didn't think this was true until I came here.

Posted by: Woodson Alum ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:23PM

I'm a Woodson graduate and am currently involved in a student organization on my college campus that aims to reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness on college campuses AND in high schools; essentially letting students know that it's OKAY if you feel depressed or anxious, one in four people will suffer from a mental illness at some point in their lives! and it's OKAY to go to someone to talk and share your feelings! The website has some great information on where and how students can find help if they are suffering or know a of friend who has expressed difficulties, or just need someone to talk to. High schools are encouraged to start chapters of their own to bring attention to mental health and how it should be just as focused on as our physical health as we turn into young adults. www.activeminds.org
I lost a student in a class I was a TA for a couple years ago, and that's how I got involved in Active Minds. I hope Nick's classmates and friends can keep a positive attitude throughout this tough time, grieve, and get the message out about how important it is to keep yourself healthy mentally.

Posted by: WTWsenior ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:30PM

Nick was a great kid. We were in boy scouts together. Just a few months ago he helped organize a fundraiser for ALS. He was a friend to many, a teammate to others, and a son. He was very polite and friendly, and got along with everyone as far back as I can remember.

Please keep the entire Stuban family in your prayers during this time. All of Woodson is mourning his loss.

RIP Nick Stuban-gone but NEVER forgotten.

Posted by: wtw alumni 2010 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 12:01AM

braddock student Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jenna pratts kicked him out on the middle of the
> highway over the weekend...

For one: have some respect for Nick. Secondly, I'm not sure what kind of sick person you are, but Jenna Pratz is a wonderful person, you have no right to spread lies. I hope one day you see how wrong this is, one way or another. That's all.

Date: January 21, 2011 12:19AM

I barley knew him, but this is tragic. I remember him a little bit from football. He was a great guy. RIP Nick Stuban.

Posted by: Rumors ()
Date: January 21, 2011 12:59AM

I hope braddock student up above isn't trying to start rumors about this Jenna Pratts.

RIP Nick S. Didn't know the kid, but suicide is just a weak way of telling life you quit. Never quit, never give up.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:20AM

Rumors Wrote:
> I hope braddock student up above isn't trying to
> start rumors about this Jenna Pratts.
>
> RIP Nick S. Didn't know the kid, but suicide is
> just a weak way of telling life you quit. Never
> quit, never give up.

Just remember, no matter how bad you think you have it, a lot of people have it far worse.

Fight until the end.

Posted by: Gilbert ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:23AM

I knew Nick Stuban briefly. He was a very polite young man, an athlete having played Football and Lacrosse at Woodson. It saddens me that he found himself in such a dark place as to take his life and I wish I could have helped him.
It also saddens me that people would make such inappropriate comments regarding the loss of such a young life.
The confusion regarding where he was found possibly comes from the fact that there was police activity in the area of Old Creek yesterday and there is information that he, or someone fitting his description, was seen there after school the day before and acting very strange. Could have been anyone.
I wish him peace and hope that his parents may find peace in a time of great sorrow.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:37AM

Is Fairfax county within the mean for student deaths? Seems like every week some kid has off'd themself, died in a crash, OD'd or was hit by a car while on a bike path. This would make an interesting study.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:44AM

496 Wrote:
> Is Fairfax county within the mean for student
> deaths? Seems like every week some kid has off'd
> themself, died in a crash, OD'd or was hit by a
> car while on a bike path. This would make an
> interesting study.

All causes of death for people aged 15-24 the number is 81.4 per 100,000. That number hovers between 79 and 81 or so for the last few years.

Rate of Teen Deaths by Accident, Homicide, and Suicide per 100,000 Population, 2001

The entire Commonwealth of VA has a death rate amongst 15-19 year olds of 46 per 100,000. Virginia is ranked 34th highest and we just beat Michigan. Yeah Va! The US weighted average is about 52 deaths per 100,000. Alaska leads the pack at 75 per 100,000.

Rank States Amount
# 1 Alaska: 75
# 2 Arkansas: 74
= 3 Alabama: 72
= 3 Idaho: 72
# 5 Louisiana: 71
= 6 Oklahoma: 69
= 6 Mississippi: 69
= 6 Missouri: 69
# 9 South Carolina: 68
# 10 Arizona: 66
= 11 Kansas: 65
= 11 Wyoming: 65
= 11 Tennessee: 65
= 14 Georgia: 62
= 14 North Carolina: 62
# 16 New Mexico: 59
# 17 Colorado: 58
# 18 Kentucky: 57
= 19 Maryland: 56
= 19 South Dakota: 56
= 19 Maine: 56
= 19 Indiana: 56
= 23 Texas: 54
= 23 West Virginia: 54
# 25 Delaware: 53
# 26 Illinois: 52
# 27 Florida: 51
# 28 Nevada: 50
= 29 North Dakota: 49
= 29 Pennsylvania: 49
# 31 Nebraska: 48
= 32 Wisconsin: 47
= 32 Iowa: 47
= 34 Virginia: 46
= 34 Michigan: 46
# 36 Utah: 44
= 37 Montana: 43
= 37 Washington: 43
# 39 Ohio: 42
# 40 Oregon: 41
= 41 New Hampshire: 40
= 41 Connecticut: 40
= 43 California: 39
= 43 Minnesota: 39
= 43 Hawaii: 39
# 46 Vermont: 38
# 47 New York: 35
# 48 Massachusetts: 32
# 49 Rhode Island: 31
# 50 New Jersey: 29

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2011 10:38AM by Radiophile.

Posted by: details please ()
Date: January 21, 2011 10:08AM

Does anyone know why Nick was kicked out of Woodson-pot?

When are these hateful hearing officers going to learn that they are pushing these vulnerable kids over the edge when they pull them from thie support structure.

I read he was bullied, that his mom was gravely ill, and yet, they throw the book at them.

NICE JOB EILEEN GRAATAN AND DANA SCANLAN.

HOPE YOU GUYS ARE PROUD OF YOURSELVES FOR KILLING ANOTHER FCPS KID.

YOU ARE HATEFUL BULLIES. IT WILL ALL CATCH UP TO YOU SOME DAY.

Posted by: Fairfax Parent ()
Date: January 21, 2011 11:24AM

Heard he was kicked out because of a charge of Possession with Intent to Distribute. Someone would have to explain to me how moving him to another nearby FCPS was expected to remedy the situation.

Posted by: Woodson Mom ()
Date: January 21, 2011 11:29AM

My deepest sympathy to all of Nick Stuban's family and friends.

I have recently read that Woodson football players are wearing their Jerseys and that the principal as well as some students are wearing black to honor Nick's memory. If Nick was mistreated by FCPS employees, as stated in the previous comment, it would honor to Nick's memory to correct the mistakes in the system.

A previous comment from Woodson Alum stated that there are organizations to help students with suicidal thoughts. Write to FCPS, and let them know these teenagers need somewhere to turn for support. If the expulsion process is also at fault, write to FCPS with your information.

Participating in a flame war is also a form of cyber-bullying. Students, please watch what you say here. End the cyber-insults. How would you feel if these hearing officers were so full of guilt over not realizng that Nick had suicidal thoughts? You would not want them to commit suicide, would you?

Let's improve the system together instead of cyber-insults. Do if for the Stuban family.

Posted by: idiots at gatehouse ()
Date: January 21, 2011 11:32AM

Fairfax Parent Wrote:
> Heard he was kicked out because of a charge of
> Possession with Intent to Distribute. Someone
> would have to explain to me how moving him to
> another nearby FCPS was expected to remedy the
> situation.

Exactly.

The disciplinary nazis will tell us how "dangerous" this kid is to the community-yet they send him to another school.

Is he dangerous or not?

READ THE YOUTH SURVEY.

30% of our high school kids admit to smoking pot!!!!

Are they all dangerous?

If so, then where do we send 13,000 students?

I'll wait for your well thought out response.

Posted by: How many more deaths? ()
Date: January 21, 2011 11:41AM

One Strike, They’re Out
Some families call the school system’s polices on marijuana punitive and ineffective.

By Julia O'Donoghue
Friday, September 17, 2010

Under different circumstances, Josh Anderson would have been headed to college this fall, likely joining a college football team.

His parents, Tim and Sue Anderson, had been looking forward to this time in their lives. Josh was the youngest of their four children, leaving Tim and Sue Anderson as empty nesters.

Instead of planning trips to watch Josh play his first season of college football, the Andersons are left with sadness and despair.

One morning in March 2009, Sue Anderson went to rouse her son from bed and found him dead in their Vienna home. Josh, then a junior at South Lakes High School, died of suicide the day before he was to face expulsion from the Fairfax County school system at a disciplinary hearing.

EARLIER THAT MONTH, Josh and his friend smoked marijuana on a car ride back to school from lunch at Taco Bell. A South Lakes assistant principal smelled marijuana on the students when they arrived back on campus and Josh was immediately placed on home suspension.

This was Josh’s second violation. In 2008, he had been kicked out of Langley High School when a school official found a small amount of marijuana in his bag.

Given that this he was a repeat offender, a lawyer told Josh and his mother that it was unlikely Fairfax County Public Schools would allow him to return to South Lakes or another general education program.

His best hope was to be offered a program at one of the county’s alternative high schools. Otherwise, his parents would have to consider moving, sending him to a military academy or enrolling him in another type of private school, said Sue Anderson.

In a statement written immediately after the incident, Josh wrote:

“I’m honestly going to try my hardest to fix this, help my parents, they haven’t raised me to be like this in any way. I’m so scared for the future, this wasn’t worth any of it at all. I’ve only recently been thinking I could make college football and I’ve gotten so excited about it and now everything is ruined.â€

IN ADDITION TO being suspended, Tim and Sue Anderson prohibited Josh from using his computer, iPod, cell phone, car or video games.

They took Josh’s first marijuana offense seriously as a mental health matter. After the incident at Langley, he also enrolled in drug counseling and attended regular appointments with a therapist and psychiatrist.

The Andersons agreed with the school system on some levels. What Josh did was wrong. His actions should have had consequences.

But Josh’s parents also thought the severity of their son’s likely punishment – removal from attending Fairfax County Public Schools -- far outweighed the offense.

Josh may have used marijuana, but he was not accused of trying to sell or distribute it to other students. Yet the Andersons’ son was treated as if he was a dangerous criminal, they said.

The South Lakes athletic director had to request special permission from the school system for Josh to play an away game with the South Lakes football team on Langley’s field. Otherwise, Josh was barred from attending any event – including prom, a school play or graduation – held on Langley’s campus.

“The school system doesn’t distinguish between a bad kid and dumb kid when it comes to these types of cases. Josh was a dumb kid making a dumb mistake,†said Tim Anderson, who thought obligatory community service, perhaps cleaning the cafeteria at school for awhile, would have been a more appropriate punishment.

Several school administrators considered Josh an asset, not a threat, to the school community, said the Andersons.

For example, the South Lakes assistant principal who reported Josh for smelling like marijuana had also nominated the teenager to be named the “coolest junior†in the school the month. Among his staunchest advocates was the South Lakes guidance counselor, who had worked with Josh regularly.

“The guidance counselor and the football coach, even the guy who caught him, were totally devastated,†said Tim Anderson.

SCHOOL OFFICIALS can rarely comment on an individual student's record or a specific disciplinary matter. But Josh was among 154 students who faced expulsion from Fairfax County Public Schools for marijuana during the 2008-09 school year alone.

Possession of marijuana was, by far, the most common reason students faced expulsion. The second most frequent offense — an umbrella category called "prohibited conduct" that includes fighting, causing a disruption and defying staff — resulted in 84 recommendations for expulsion during 2008-09.

The vast majority of students recommended for expulsion are not kicked out of the school system entirely, though those charged with violations related to drugs almost always face stiff consequences.

Violators frequently are removed from their base school, subjected to random drug tests and required to attend counseling, said School Board members familiar with the process. A few parents believe that punishment, particularly for those students who are caught with marijuana for personal use and not intending to sell it, is too harsh and more consideration should be given to the student's overall conduct and community support.

CHARACTER REFERENCES, personal accomplishments and endorsements from the community appear to have little bearing on the outcome of disciplinary hearings, particularly in matters related to drugs, according to the Andersons and some other families who have encountered the process.

The cases of students facing serious consequences, like a long-term suspension or expulsion, are typically reviewed during a disciplinary hearing, when members of the school system’s central administration staff recommend a punishment for the student. The School Board also reviews and votes on all expulsions individually.

But some parents complain the recommendation for the student’s punishment is predetermined before his or her disciplinary hearing takes place. They said the hearing officers largely ignore the testimony of the student and his or her supporters.

When Josh first faced removal from Langley High School, the Andersons worried their son had given a bad impression at his hearing because he had “shut down†when officials asked him questions. Josh, who was taciturn and prone to shyness, had been intimidated by the situation, they said.

Tim Anderson called a school official the next day to express concern that the panel may not have gotten the correct impression of his son. “We had the hearing and we felt like Josh hadn’t been heard,†he said. The official told him not to worry about the impression Josh made on the officers because it was essentially a “done deal†once a student was caught on school grounds with drugs.

“His fate was determined before the hearing,†said Tim Anderson.

SCHOOL BOARD members denied that the outcome of student disciplinary cases are predetermined and that individual circumstances are not considered.

“In my experience as a School Board member, every case has been decided on the individual facts of that case,†said Stuart Gibson (Hunter Mill), who has presided over 1,000 different disciplinary proceedings.

“What happens in each case is unique to each case,†he said.

But Gibson and other School Board members said they also try to be consistent when it comes to consequences for student violations. They make an effort to dole out the same punishment to students who commit similar offenses.

“I cannot remember a situation where a kid was caught with drugs at school when they were not sent to another school,†said School Board member Dan Storck (Mount Vernon).

FAIRFAX COUNTY Public Schools used to take a more lenient approach to some drug violations. Until 10 or 12 years ago, students caught with a small amount of marijuana at school were only subjected to a five-day suspension and then allowed to return to their base school, said Gibson.

Then, Virginia enacted a new law that required schools to automatically expel students for a variety of offenses, including the possession of marijuana. While waiting for the disciplinary hearing to take place, he or she is also subjected to a mandatory out-of-school suspension for at least 10 days.

The local School Board does have leeway when it comes to drug offenses and expulsion. There are special circumstances School Board members can use to justify a “modified expulsion,†where the student is allowed to stay in the school system with a less severe punishment.

In fact, the Fairfax County School Board rarely expels students outright for drug offenses according to data provided by the Virginia Department of Education. From 2004 to 2009, 905 Fairfax County students caught with drugs at school for personal use received “modified expulsions.†Only nine students were expelled from the school system entirely.

“I can count on one or two hands the number of times we voted for a student not to receive services. The vast majority of students stay in the system,†said Storck.

IN SEVERAL CASES, both the accused student and administrators agree on the facts of a case and the violator admits to having had drugs at school. The difference of opinion often occurs over what consequences are appropriate, said Gibson.

“There are people who think students are being punished far more severely than the offense merits,†he said.

But Gibson said allowing a student to return to their classes after he or she has been caught with drugs on campus could send the wrong message to other teenagers and children.

“I don’t think there is any question about whether learning can go on in an environment that is infused with drugs,†he said.

Some parents think community support and opinion about whether a student poses a threat to others should be given more weight.

Last year, a student from a public school in McLean who admitted to smoking marijuana on a school trip garnered support from teachers, coaches and other students’ parents.

According to the student’s family, many members of their school community did not think the teenager should be forced to transfer schools for a first-time offense.

Several people wrote letters of support on behalf of the student to the hearing officers presiding over his case but the school system still removed the student from his base school. According to the student’s family, the hearing officers appeared to ignore or disregard public opinion about their son.

Unhappy families who appeal to the School Board and hope the members will depart from the decision of the hearing officers are typically out of luck. It is rare for a School Board panel to reject a recommendation on a disciplinary matter forwarded from staff.

“Over 90 percent of the time, we accept what the hearing officer has sent us,†said Storck.

The strong correlation between the hearing office recommendation and School Board decision is just another indication that the process disenfranchises students and parents, said Caroline Hemenway, founder of Fairfax Zero Tolerance Reform, a community group that advocates for changes to Fairfax’s approach to disciplinary matters.

“The hearings themselves are a kangaroo court. Principals call the hearing officer and make a recommendation for expulsion or suspension way before the hearing. Right from the beginning, the students don’t get the same opportunity to present their case. Then, almost 100 percent of appeals are denied since the school board never reverses a hearing office recommendation,†said Hemenway.

HEMENWAY SAID there are few positive outcomes that appear to derive from having harsh consequences for marijuana use in particular.

Students in the school system don’t appear to be particularly deterred from using drugs as a result of the strict policies.

In 2008, approximately 38 percent of 12th graders responding to the Fairfax County Youth Survey reported that they had used marijuana at least once. Seventeen percent said they used it at least once in the last 30 days.

“You cannot claim that a child caught smoking a joint is a danger to the community when something like 40 percent of seniors have used it,†she said.

For the most part, the harsh consequences for marijuana use only traumatize students who happen to get caught, said Hemenway. Recently, the Andersons heard from the family of a lacrosse player in Chantilly who was emotionally devastated, said Tim Anderson.

Though Josh, a good-looking and athletic boy, had a positive experience when he was forced to move from Langley to South Lakes in the middle of his high school career, other students are not so lucky, said Hemenway.

Removing a child from their friends and support network and sending them to a school in a different part of the county is not going to help those children who might have turned to drugs because of depression, low self-esteem or other mental health issues, she said.

The process also places a tremendous burden on parents and other family members.

It fell on Hemenway to shuttle school assignments and monitor her son’s classwork at home when the teenager, who is now a physics major at James Madison University, was caught using marijuana and removed from South Lakes High School for several months one spring.

When her son was allowed to attend a regular school again, the family also had to get him to and from their home in Oak Hill to Marshall High School in Falls Church every day. The school system does not provide transportation for students who have been removed from their base school for disciplinary reasons.

For a family with less flexibility and fewer financial means, Hemenway worries that keeping up with a child’s schoolwork while on suspension and transferring to another school would be impossible.

“I lost thousands of dollars in personal business because of this,†she said.

STUDENTS CAUGHT with marijuana also appeared to make up a disproportionate number of those who face expulsion.

According to Storck, students caught with alcohol at school are just as likely to be removed and sent to another campus as those caught with marijuana.

But during the 2005-06 school year, the Fairfax County hearing office considered 154 students for expulsion related to the possession of marijuana and just one student for the possession of alcohol, despite the fact that far more Fairfax County students report using alcohol than marijuana. Approximately 72 percent of 12th graders who answered the 2008 Fairfax County youth survey reported using alcohol at least once in their lifetime. Twice as many 12th graders (43 percent) said they had used alcohol over the past month when compared to 12th graders who said they used marijuana during the same time period.

©2010 Connection Newspapers. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy
1606 King Street ♦ Alexandria, VA 22314 ♦ 703-821-5050
Site Design, Development and Hosting by Timberlake Publishing

Posted by: Woodson Alum ()
Date: January 21, 2011 11:46AM

To Woodson Mom:

In fact, last night I emailed the information to my counselor from when I was a student. She said she was going to pass it on to Mr. Yost and share with the other Student Services employees. My hope is that there is a student who would be willing to initiate starting a chapter at Woodson and students who would be interested in joining to spread the knowledge about mental health awareness.

Posted by: Another Woodson Mom ()
Date: January 21, 2011 12:11PM

Thank you "how many more deaths" for posting that article. It truly outlines this situation from a perspective from which most of us (thankfully) have not viewed. While participating in drug activity (taking or selling) is illegal and drinking alcohol under the age of 21 is illegal, the punishment should not close all future doors for these young people. NO wonder they feel they have no where to turn.

Has a movement been started to change the process? If so, we need to join in and have our voices heard. These are our children and their futures we are trying to protect. If it has not been started, does anyone know how to go about it.

I believe strongly in actions and consequences. Teaching our children at home and in schools this very basic rule is a fundamental responsibility as an adult. However, all punishment should fit the crime. Never should we back these young adults into corners where they do not see a way out. That is inexcusable.

Posted by: whooaaaa ()
Date: January 21, 2011 12:29PM

Just because someone takes their like=let's not assume they had this on-going mental health issue or depression.

EVENTS can triggers a dramatic act like taking one's life.

I know dozens of people who suffered from depression triggered by a job loss, loss of a spouse, family member, etc.

Kids take things very hard. Unlike many adults, it is difficult for them to convince themselves, "Oh, everything will be fine, this is just a minor setback, things will get better in life".

The disciplinary process is inhumane. They treat kids like they are the unabomber-it doesn't matter what the kid did they will treat him like pond scum.

No "Let's make this a teachable moment", no "Let's put this kid on the right path". They are monsters.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:16PM

Look, I do not have dog in this show, and I may take somethings said here in a not so serious manner. But if the administrators are going to expel a student for smoking whatever then it is high time they looked at themselves.

Being a teenager is confusing to say the least. Being a teenager from the suburbs who is about to be expelled is probably more angst then most people could handle at that age.

No the admins at FCPS - how old are they? in their 30s? In their 40s? In their 50s?
Think about it - if they are in there 40s like I am, they went to high school with these guys. And as I have said here before, I actually DID go to high school with these very same guys in Maryland. These very same people.

The point is something needs to be done. But if you back a kid in a corner with no way to escape, he or she will fight back. And that fighting could be external - family, friends, neighbors, strangers etc, or internal - cutting, depression, suicide and the like.

So admins, I would ask you look at what is going on. Their are good kids, bad kids and good kids who screw up. Each needs to be dealt with differently. Always give a kid options. If you give him/her no options, they just may feel there is no way out.

No back to my usual cynical self.

Posted by: FHS mom ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:30PM

I thank you, "how many more deaths", for posting that article as well.... and I agree with "whooaaaa". The disciplinary process used by this school system is not only inhumane, it is self-serving and INSANE. I know, I've unfortunately been through the complete process. No matter what they tell you, the outcome is insane. "You can petition to come back if you cooperate and do well in an 'alternate' setting." NOT TRUE. Sure, you can petition, but you WILL NOT return. As caring as the panel SEEMED to be the day we were "heard", they already had their minds made up. THIS kid was not ever to return to "base" school. Not because she DIDN'T do well in "alternate school"... she did. NOT because she didn't cooperate - she did, completely. NOT because there was a SHRED of evidence except "hearsay". So much so, there were NEVER police involved. NEVER brought before a judge. Not that it would matter. A judge can rule, but the SCHOOL BOARD will preside... in Fairfax County, a JUDGE can't even over rule this school board!

And I ask... what sense does it make to "condemn" a student who made a mistake to Fairfax HS, yet Woodson will ACCEPT a student from Annandale HS who made the SAME mistake. "best interest of our children"? Not hardly.

Regardless, that nightmare is over for this family. We chose to relocate vs.. have our younger child finish & graduate at Woodson... WITHOUT her older sister in attendance on Graduation day... lest she step foot on Woodson school grounds before age 23...yes, that is the reality of the far-reach this Nazi-like school board has.

My heart bleeds for the family of this young man. I have NO doubt this could have easily happened to ours - not because there are mental-health issues evident, but, as "whooaaaa" put it so well, EVENTS can (and DO) trigger dramatic actions... especially from teenagers.

I find myself in tears every time I think about this poor young man. I hope, I really do hope that EVERY member of that school board thinks about and understands the part THEY played in this young man's death.

God rest his soul and bring comfort to his loved ones.

Date: January 21, 2011 01:45PM

To Whooaaaa, Woodson Alum, and Another Woodson Mom,

Whooaaaa, thank you for clarifying that events can trigger depression. I think we both agree that symptoms of mental illness can very well be temporary, treatable, and curable. I was not trying to imply that everyone experiencing depression and suidical thoughts has a serious long-term mental illness. Anyone with these symptoms deserves help and not to be labeled by society.

Woodson Alum, thank you for e-mailing Mr. Yost. Do they need to raise funds for this. However, I stand corrected by Whooaaa and agree that many events can trigger suicidal thoughts. That is exactly why we need help for our children. I think your point is that the stygma of mental illness is stopping teenagers from asking for help. Our teenagers need to realize that experiencing a mental health symptom does not mean that they have a serious mental illness. Tbey should not be labeled by others as such. For example, a person can have one pimple and treat it with Clearasil. However, this does not mean they have acne.

Another Woodson Mom, someone needs to start with a brainstorming meeting. If administraters are receiving the wrong training, research and ideas are needed. It will take time. I think the change needs to start at the university level. If a particular administrator is singled out, they may become the example and the scapegoat, but it will not change the way all other administrators have been trained. Perhaps, I am wrong. I certainly hope that FCPS is not requiring them to use these techniques.

Everyone, we must also remember that drug or marijuana use, even if it is only used once, can trigger a personality change in a child.

Posted by: woodson blows. ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:50PM

Its nice to finaly see some people on this fourm being helpful and not pains in the ass when something like this happens. Typicaly the fags on this site would eat this shit up. If I was still at woodson I would be graduating this year, and i can't say i knew this kid, but rest in peace man.

Posted by: After the fact ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:59PM

There are a hanful of administrators who get it. They know what the grinder called FCPS discipline is like. They know the kids lives can be ruined by one stupid act. Try to apply to college with an "assault" on your transcrript becasue you got into a fight with a kid over something stupid.

There is NO COMMON SENSE in our schools anymore.

There is a current principal in FCPS who used to come to school high when he was in high school. I am sure he recommends kids for expulsion all the time. He got a second chance-I guess another kid doesn't decerve what he got.

If FCPS has a zero tolerance policy about keeping drugs out of our schools, then DRUG TEST EACH AND EVERY EMPLOYEE.

When the schools end the K9s in for random drug sweeps send them into the teacher's lounge. Why do they sniff just the student's backpacks? Have them check every purse and faculty backback as well.

Two sets of rule here. A take no prisoners, throw the key away mentality for kids and a no accountability policy for employees.

Give me a break.

DRUG TEST ALL 20,000 EMPLOYEES. Let's see what happens.

Posted by: FairfaxZeroToleranceReform ()
Date: January 21, 2011 02:10PM

Dear Concerned Families and Students:

I heard about his suicide last night. I am the director of www.FairfaxZeroToleranceReform.org. We are working to reform the discipline system in this county so it is humane, just, and appropriately effective, and so it upholds due process rights of students and families. We are most keen on prevention, rehabilitation, and due process, none of which exists in proper measure here. I'm updating the website this weekend -- there has been too much to do to get that task done, and too few of us organized to fight this. Too many parents think the horrors of the discipline process here could never happen to their kids, that their own children are perfect, that other "bad" kids will "contaminate" their own, or that kids somehow "deserve" to be treated like sub-human criminals without mercy.

The way things operate in this county is that school administrators (and a few board members) tend to "divide and conquer" parents and families and advocates, using privacy laws and other means to ensure we never find each other and don't communicate, preventing us from organizing.

If you want to HELP fight this, please contact me after today (Jan 21) by going to the website and emailing director@fairfaxzerotolerancereform.org. (I have to make sure that link still works.) We really need legwork to do some of the necessary data and research gathering to make reform possible, to create a proposal, to organize the many concerned citizens and groups, and to record the hundreds of stories that compel this change. Work has already begun, and we have a great deal of information already. But if you can devote even a couple of hours a week to support reform, we welcome it. We are planning a meeting within the next couple of weeks to organize our efforts. There is more to report, and if you wish to be informed, please use that email above (after January 21).

Our greatest sympathies go out to the parents of Mark, and to the hundreds of families (yes, there are hundreds) suffering from nightmarish discipline policies in this county, and the thousands upon thousands in the country.

(Note that I am not using my name in this forum because FairfaxUnderground attracts scummy people along with the right-minded.)

Posted by: :( ()
Date: January 21, 2011 03:11PM

just heard today that he recently found out his mom was going to pass away within a few months.......im not sure if that is the reason :(

Posted by: Anon ()
Date: January 21, 2011 03:18PM

"We chose to relocate vs.. have our younger child finish & graduate at Woodson... WITHOUT her older sister in attendance on Graduation day... lest she step foot on Woodson school grounds before age 23"

You have discredited yourself with this statement. Woodson High School has not held a graduation at Woodson in at least twenty years - the ceremony is always held at Robinson.

Posted by: TruthBeTold ()
Date: January 21, 2011 03:38PM

My post above under "FairfaxZeroToleranceReform" should have referenced Nick, not Mark. Since I couldn't edit it, I'm posting a correction here.

Posted by: interested party ()
Date: January 21, 2011 03:54PM

Anon. You discredit yourself by being petty. I am sure you get the point that sentiment appears to be across the board that the community beleives that penatlies may be in excess of what is required to get a kid on track.

That said, the expulsion may not have been a contributing factor at all. How sad. God bless the Stubans.

Posted by: anonymous89 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:00PM

I know this is a very sad moment for 99.99% of you out there. Bad things happen in life, but no one, and I mean no one,should have to go.

I know people who currently go to Fairfax, Woodson, and even Robert Frost MS. The senior at Woodson said almost 75% of the school wore black, or blue, in honor of Nick Stuban. The kid at FFX HS said almost 90% of the people wore blue to honor him, even the teachers. The kids at frost are hearing all this stuff to, from siblings, friends, teachers, email, etc. They might be a little young. If you go to drastic measures, even the ES kids could be hearing this, which they should not be.

A lot of people wonder why he "did it", and why would a 16 year old boy, who lives in Fairfax, VA, one of the nicest towns in the world, go to such measures. Well, he got expelled from Woodson in October-November-December, and went to Fairfax High School. His mom has ALS (Lou Gherigs Disease), a disease that prevents you from moving, and other stuff. Heplayed football, lacrosse, track for his schools, and wore #45 for Woodson this year, and a lot of woodson/fairfax hs football plauyers were wearing there jersey today to remember him. He played football for BRYC, he ran track for FPYC, and he even played basketball when he went to Mantua.

A lot of people are blaming Woodson's administration, like mr.yost or teachers, for for expelling him, for posession of drugs. That is an personal opinion.

A lot of people are also wondering, how did he do it? I have heard he overdosed or shot himself through the ear. Very sad. (Moment of silence)

A lot of his friends and family are probably suffering currently, in the pain and agony saying WHY WHY WHY, oh JESUS HELP ME.

All I know is, if you are spreading these rumors, well screw off. Itsnot respectful, and you aren't remembering Nick as a Football, Lacrosse, Track Athlete, and Funny Kid with tons of friends, who was never bullied, and always keeping cool.

Posted by: bullies in the school yard ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:29PM

No 16 year old KID.....repeat.....KID....should be made to feel like the mistake they made is so horrible that they feel a need to take their own life.

Students contemplate suicide for dozens of reason. READ THE DATA. It is shocking. Go home tonight and ask your own kid if they ever considered it?

Statistics tell us they have, at one point in their life, considered it.

Why then, do we treat these kids so horribly when they screw up?

Discipline them, love them, put them back on the right path. Tell them that lots of kids screw up and that it is going to be ok.

The Hearings Office at Gatehouse is filled with callous, hateful, mean-spirited individuals. They ENJOY making these kids feel like they are worthless. The culture of that office is toxic.

We pay 7 Hearing Officers $774,000 in salaries each year (avg $110,000/year). Over twice what a first year teacher makes.

To do what?

Terrorize our students? Drive them to suicide for their own power trip and sadistic pleasure?

Look at the data. There are not enough serious cases to justify their existence. Every kid who enters their grasp is treated like Ted Bundy.

zero homicides, zero rapes, zero rifles/shotguns, 1 extortion, 1 handgun possession. What do these people do all day? terrorize pot smokers?

He wasn't a dealer. He wasn't a gang member. He was a kid, like thousands of others, who smoked pot!

And for that he is driven to suicide and we spend millions of dollars?

Everyone should be angry about this.

Posted by: whathappensintheffxstaysintheffx ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:53PM

Sorry, but is there verification his mom is expecting death soon?

Posted by: student ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:57PM

I am not sure about that but she definetely does have Lou Gehrig's disease.

Re: Fairfax High School student | Nick Stuban
Posted by: student1 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:06PM

I am wondering if his schools are gonna do anything special because of this matter, like honor him with jersey patches, or a flag?

Also, if this kid was being tortured, than why didnt the FCPS schools do anything about?

Date: January 21, 2011 05:09PM

The school newspaper is planning on running an article about him next week.

Posted by: IHATEWOODSON ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:12PM

For years, Woodson was great if you were "in the bell curve". But, their LD program sucked. LD teachers from other schools told me so. All they wanted to talk about was their Newsweek rankings. And, any behavior issues and they label you and throw you out. The cop that works there, or used to, was always a prick. Woodson is particularly bad with boys. Boys are boys. They make some mistakes. Deal with it. Woodson has been doing this for years. Throw them out to another school ASAP. I once heard Yost, when he was the assistant, say to another parent after his son got in a bit of trouble “Well at least he is not Justin X†is reference to another student. That is how he acted as assistant. I am sure it is worse now. I also heard that he once called another student’s father during the grandfather’s funeral to report he skipped school all week even though the family called in each day. Woodson cares more about their Newsweek rankings than their kids and they always will as long as Yost is there. I had two kids there. I moved to the “Woodson District†to send my kids there. I ended up sending my younger two to private school where we love it. All the Woodson District ever did for me was keep my house desirable. I have heard story after story from parents of young men screwed by Woodson.

Posted by: Fairfax High Parent ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:14PM

I am in tears as I read these stories. My son who is 21 now is no different than most of these children (and yes that is what they are, children) who were caught with pot. Yet, he was never caught. What archaic thought is behind this policy of the Fairfax School Board? Change can only come about if we parents blast the school board members with requests and bombard the administration to do the same.
Yes, there should be consequences for breaking rules...but these are too harsh. Removing a child's support structure and burdening them with guilt during the most turbulent growth period in their lives helps no one.
I persoanally am mailing a link to this site to Principle Goldfarb at Fairfax and every Fairfax Board Member. I encourage all of you to do the same, mail the link to your administration and to every board member. This should never have happened.

Posted by: A Parent ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:19PM

Agree with posts about hearing officers and fcps - it's all about cya, and nothing about caring for troubled kids - 'get 'em out'

Posted by: ... ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:27PM

I am very confident that most of the students at Woodson absolutely love Mr. Yost. He's a great guy and great principal.

Date: January 21, 2011 05:30PM

Thank you for responding to this person. There is absolutely nothing funny about picking on someone who is grieving. Nothing.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:37PM

It's just absurd that these people could come on here and bash a beloved principal and insinuate that Mr. Yost is somehow at fault for this tragic death.

Posted by: Sad ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:43PM

This is so sad any way you look at it, whether Nick was overlooked, bullied, or just despondent over thinking about life without his mom. I feel so much for his poor parents. I am sure if his mother is that ill, the only peace she will know is when she is able to join Nick and hold him once again. I wish someone had been able to help him through. God Bless You Nick. RIP

Posted by: WHSEX ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:50PM

RE: I am very confident that most of the students at Woodson absolutely love Mr. Yost. He's a great guy and great principal.

Please stop posting Mr. Yost.....

Posted by: woodson kid ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:51PM

Mr. Yost is a great principal and a really cool guy- all the kids at woodson love him. The insinuation that he had anything to do with Nick's death is ridiculous. Everyone seems to be blaming the school administrators for being too harsh, but that's not fair. If you read the SR&R that they give out every year, the administration doesn't have a lot of choice in what they can do. Maybe the rules do need to be changed, but it's not fair to blame the school administrators, especially when they do an excellent job.

Posted by: WHSEX ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:54PM

Yost has been instrumental in the expulsion of more boys that any other administrator I know of. Period. End of statement. He also kissed the ass of the “Good Parentsâ€. He is a phony.

Posted by: Blue Man ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:58PM

Boys don't need "Cool Guys". They need leaders and role models. If you think Yost is loved by all you are smoking something that he would throw you out of WHS for. Stupid people here today. WHS's rankings are down since he took over too. The reputation versus LBHS and RHS is way down amongst parents and teachers. Come out of the closet Yost Ass Kissers and read the writing on the wall.

Posted by: Mom of recently transferred kid to Woodson ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:11PM

Mr. Yost and the staff of Woodson are the best.

My child was involved in vandalism a year ago and was suspended with recommendation for expulsion. As other parents mention here, we went through hearings, appeals, lawyers, etc. with the Hearing Office for many months.

My son was treated like a criminal, with no respect, humilliating him and our family separated from society and denigrated. He had never been in trouble, good grades, volunteer, had beautiful letters from his teachers and members of the community, but that was not enough for the hearing office. They had to make an example (someone said).

I must say that the Board overuled the recommendation from his principal and from the hearing officer, to be expelled from the FCPS, and he had an extended suspension and then transferred to Woodson, where Mr. Yost and his staff embraced him.

Only the parents and students who have gone through this will understand.

We have to do something to prevent more tragedies. Josh Andersen's tragegy in 2009 and Nick's must encourage our community to speak out and fight to reform the Zero Tolerance Rule.

We can do it, this is America, and we have the right to speak in memory of Josh and Nick. God Bless them and their families.

Posted by: Let'sDoBetter ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:18PM

I'm very, very sorry for this young man's family and friends.

These kids get such a mixed message from some of the local schools. "High-performing" schools like Woodson tend to worship the ground that top students and athletes walk on, and all the kids in the school know it. Some of those same kids occasionally do drugs. But, if a kid gets caught, and the disciplinary process kicks in, the consequences are quite severe. The same kid who was trying to fit in with the same kids that the teachers and administrators praise to high heaven can suddenly be expelled from the community. Not an easy situation for an adolescent, much less one with a challenging family situation.

I don't know Yost personally, but to say some of these administrators are two-faced is putting it charitably. FCPS often sends some of the worst administrators to the "best" schools, because it figures these schools will do OK no matter who is in charge.

Posted by: --->Woodson Mom ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:21PM

I remember watching Nick Stuban playing basketball at Mantua when he was in elementary school. Learning that he felt hopeless and took his own life has made me very sad. The finality and permanence of death is difficult for everyone who cared about this young person.

Reading the comments with criticisms about school administration, I have to add a comment about my family's experience with discipline from school administrators. One of my son's was being physically bullied by another student while he was at Frost Middle School. The vice principal at Frost (transferred around and now at Fairfax HS) victimized my son a second time with cruel questioning about the incidents and sadistically refusing to let him leave the room to play in a music program (for which my son had already been told by the music teacher that any student not showing up by a specific time would receive an "F").

My son was in tears with the treatment by this vice principal. We had to turn to Marti Jo Jackson (an awesome and humane principal at Frost) for remedy. While I know there are some wonderful administrators, I do not forgive this abuse by someone who was supposed to help and who caused harm (and seemed to enjoy it, as well).

Regarding, Nick Stuban, the punishment to expel a student is too much like a public shaming. This seems too harsh for teens, who may have a fragile sense of self. Expulsions should be reserved for students who present immediate and extreme dangers to others, rather than for students with marijuana use.

Posted by: TruthBeTold ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:22PM

Whether Nick's expulsion lead to his taking his life or not, the fact is that there are hundreds of kids whose lives are wrecked by the discipline process FCPS harbors and falsely promotes as fair and appropriate. I'm hoping this terrible case -- another in a long line of them -- drives parents to consider taking on the possibility that every single child in our school system be treated with respect and compassion and dignity, so they may become respectful and compassionate adults. The draconian hearings officers and the process here does not allow for that. www.FairfaxZeroToleranceReform.org is organized to review and reform this system -- to put a STOP to the school-to-prison pipeline, and to put a STOP to FCPS's nefarious divide-and-conquer modus operandi.

We welcome respectful discussion here on discipline reform.

Posted by: fcps human resources ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:38PM

IHATEWOODSON Wrote:
> For years, Woodson was great if you were "in the
> bell curve". But, their LD program sucked. LD
> teachers from other schools told me so. All they
> wanted to talk about was their Newsweek rankings.
> And, any behavior issues and they label you and
> throw you out. The cop that works there, or used
> to, was always a prick. Woodson is particularly
> bad with boys. Boys are boys. They make some
> mistakes. Deal with it. Woodson has been doing
> this for years. Throw them out to another school
> ASAP. I once heard Yost, when he was the
> assistant, say to another parent after his son got
> in a bit of trouble “Well at least he is not
> Justin X†is reference to another student. That
> is how he acted as assistant. I am sure it is
> worse now. I also heard that he once called
> another student’s father during the
> grandfather’s funeral to report he skipped
> school all week even though the family called in
> each day. Woodson cares more about their Newsweek
> rankings than their kids and they always will as
> long as Yost is there. I had two kids there. I
> moved to the “Woodson District†to send my
> kids there. I ended up sending my younger two to
> private school where we love it. All the Woodson
> District ever did for me was keep my house
> desirable. I have heard story after story from
> parents of young men screwed by Woodson.

There is a saying I heard years ago from an administrator in another large district:

They move them around like the Catholic church moved priests.

I'm shocked at the email drinking buddy stuff some FCPS employees have with Bradsher.

Posted by: Kay ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:47PM

You know, it's really strange to hear that he's dead now. I just saw him a few days ago in class.

Posted by: blahblahblah<3 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:49PM

To Kay:

Was Nick acting strange before his death? Did he seem unhappy at Fairfax, or was he popular? Was he bullied?

Posted by: TheProfessor ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:57PM

Beloved or not, the principal of Woodson is culpable in this, if for no other reason than he is a willing participant in a system gone off the deep end. Zero tolerance is a thoroughly discredited approach to policing and discipline. The literature available shows it's never worked in maintaining order, and doubtless ever will. It obviously didn't achieve the desired result here, and FCPS has touted its use for years. The principal, surely an intelligent and educated man, should take offense at being denied his ability to rationally assess a situation and act in the best interests of his community. The sheer stupidity of a policy in which "problem" students are disciplined by making them another school's problem aside, I think anyone who does not stand up to this form of institutional bullying (which makes school yard tussles quaint by comparison) is at a minimum, craven. Is a job really worth it?

The heart of the matter is, sadly, all about money. Not kids, not education, not even teachers and administrators. It certainly isn't about protecting students from each other, because if it were, the talks about "bullying" that go on in every grade school classroom would be unnecessary. Fairfax County Public Schools is self-insured. The mindless enforcement of policies that themselves are hypocritical is all about being able to defend the School Board and System in Court. It's all about keeping two words, "institutional" and "liability" out of the same sentence.

I grew up in Fairfax County, attending 1st through 12th grade in its schools. After years of living in a another area jurisdiction, we returned to the county for its schools when our kids reached school-age. I've got kids in this very pyramid now. My kid's are not having the same experiences my siblings, my friends, and I had years ago. From byzantine and capricious disciplinary procedures, principals who are out and out liars, to the opposite side where students being bullied are given ineffective help, I've seen it all. I am thoroughly disappointed. Somewhere along line, probably about the time that FCPS's student handbook of "Rights and Responsibilities" became the student handbook of "Responsibilities and Rights" (a very Orwellian sentiment, as if "rights" only obtain to those who meet some arbitrary list of duties), FCPS went to war against it's own constituency, us.

Teenagers are not adults. Research clearly documents what any parent knows: they "think" differently, typically act impulsively, and too often do not understand either situational context or the consequences of their acts. They do stupid things. Correcting those mistakes is done with the intention of changing behavior (a process sometimes referred to as "civilizing"), not punishment. That's why we isolate them in school and take years to train them. That's why culturally and legally we have the concept of an "age of majority" -- a simple recognition that they are not fully formed and not quite accountable in an adult sense. That's one of the social reasons we have families, to teach kids (sometimes many times over) right from wrong as we see it, and to practice the simple principles of first learned at home and then in Kindergarten. Teachers and administrators aren't stupid (for the most part). They're human, have families, made mistakes as kids, and know these things about minors to be true. And I'm not starry eyed. I stand up in front of students too; and understand that there are those too dangerous to be in a normal classroom. But a kid paying with his own life because he lacked the life experience to know "this too shall pass" is way too an adult price for what is still a child. Shame on us as parents for tolerating this, and shame on the faculty and staff of FCPS for going along with it -- some even with evident enjoyment. "I was only following orders" has a very bad historical context.

Date: January 21, 2011 07:07PM

this is heartbreaking. Please, let's work together and save the next kid who thinks there is no hope, future, or reason to live. I'm a FHS parent looking for guidance on making a difference. Bless Nick's family and friends.

Posted by: Woodson Parent x 2 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:38PM

Let me start by saying that I didn't know Nick or his family and my thoughts are with them. I have intimate experience with suicide because my older brother committed suicide when I was a Junior in High School. He was a bit older than Nick at the time. My family, and my parents in particular were devasted. The hurt continues to this day many many years later.

Suicide is not the answer. There is NOTHING that is so bad that it can not be remedied with the help of family and friends. However, sometimes in a person's darkest hour, they are so distraught that they are unable to see this, and they just want the pain to end, and they decide there is only one way to do that. It's very sad because they don't understand that there are people in thier lives, and usually many people, that would gladly help them if they only knew.

Nick's decision is not the fault of Woodson administrators or the Woodson disciplinary system. These people are only doing thier jobs and they have been tasked by we, the parents, to make the school a safe place for all students. Unfortunately, many parents (and I'm not speaking of Nick's parents) don't teach thier children right from wrong and other basic rules of participation in society. As a result, there are problems in the schools such as gangs, drugs, etc. The school system must react by enforcing the disciplinary rules uniformly and against ALL infractions. When dealing with a large student body, it's often not possible for them to become intimately familiar with each students particular situation and sometimes they're going to punish a student who is in a vunerable state and that punishment may throw them over the edge. Nontheless, they still must enforce the rules for the good of the rest of the students.

As I said, I didn't know Nick or his family. I don't know what Nick did to be expelled. But if it was drug related, not enforcing the state law in this regard is not a viable solution. Perhaps a better tactic would be to require that each student expelled be madated to have some sessions with a mental health specialist to attempt to determine if the student will need help to deal with thier punishment.

My experience with Woodson was a good one. My kids were not sports or academic stars. High School is tough for most kids. We, as parents, need to take the responsibility of making the schools better places by staying in close touch with our own kids, and by making sure they know they are loved, and by making sure they understand the laws of our society and teaching them that breaking those laws has consequesnces...and the consequenses affect people other than just themselves.

Not of the above is in any way meant to place any blame on Nick's family. Even very loving, seemingly perfect families can have suicides occur in them. I know. My parents and my brothers and sisters all loved my brother. Sometimes it's just not enough. May Nick rest in peace and may his family find the strength to endure this senseless tragedy.

Posted by: Mom of recently transferred kid to Woodson ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:40PM

Re my previous post 06:11 pm

Please check the Washington Post tomorrow. Article by journalist Donna St. George.

We need to work together to prevent future tragedies like this; we owe it to Josh, Nick, their families, and any student in Fairfax County.

My family and I will join the Fairfaxzerotolerancereform.org, tomorrow (as suggested by the director), by emailing director@fairfaxzerotolerancereform.org.
(see their post 02:10 pm.)

We can help supporting and voicing our concerns, with respect, and by posting this information in our facebook pages. We can do it together.

"It takes a village to raise a child" African Proverb

Posted by: Sorry to hear this... ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:50PM

Fairfaxzerotolerancereform.org

Could they have thought of something quicker? FZTR.org??

Sad stuff.

Posted by: ................. ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:57PM

whatz gonna be on the washington post 2moro?

Posted by: Investigate ()
Date: January 21, 2011 08:12PM

TheProfessor - You are right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to an all boy Catholic HS in the Bronx where they understood that men between the ages of 16-24 are the stupidest beings on the earth. It was the last school a boy would be accepted in NYC. If you were thrown out of there, no other Catholic School would accept you. I talk there every year at career day and stress this. I tell them to try to make more right decisions than bad ones and they will be OK. It is hard to change at twenty five. In FCPS, they don’t get this. And, as a father and coach in four sports for 15 years around LBHS, RHS, and with some of mine in WHS, I can tell you WHS is the worst for young men who make a mistake or two. I can tell you horror stories about boys being railroaded out of there or labeled as useless. I am not saying anything to blame anyone about this tragedy. I have been close to a similar situation. It is terrible. But, I can say there should be an investigation into WHS’s handling of young men who may just need a helping hand and not a kick out the door.

Posted by: TheTruth ()
Date: January 21, 2011 08:32PM

The good old Woodson Pyrimid! My kids got stuck with Dr. Benson at Olde Creek. What a Jerk. Did not give one shit about the kids. But, every i was dotted and every t crossed. With two LD kids over six years, he did not attend one IEP meeting. But, if a toilet broke in the boy’s bathroom during lunch, there was an inquisition. Oh, and we all had to call him DOCTOR Benson. I have PhD and hate that shit. Ahh, IEPs, where FCPS hides the warts. Paper trails to nowhere. Insulation from judgment. Then, they were off to Frost. One basically failed seventh grade. When we got interims with five Fs, I said I would like to meet with his team. They said, “We can meet you in Januaryâ€. I had to point out that would account for over 25% of his time in Frost. Three teachers had received no homework from him and no one called. After seventh grade, I said, “leave him backâ€. Teach him a lesson and teach him period. They said, “No, let’s do another IEPâ€. Then, it continued in eighth grade. They just shipped him off to WHS where he crossed paths with the A hole cop who pressed charges on a pen knife found during a search for drugs. No drugs, just a pen knife his grandfather gave him a year ago. He did not even know he had it. Then, it was off to alternative schools where he met the rich kids with cars and the kids who knew where the drugs were. Kids can sense when people around them don’t really care and are really looking out to punish rather than nourish. I know the parent Yost spoke to and mentioned that other kid. It happened.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: January 21, 2011 08:36PM

i know that there is definitely bullying at frost/woodson. i have recently transferred cuz of it

Posted by: ???? ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:32PM

The Truth- I don't understand how you can blame the teachers, administration, and principal for your kids not doing their homework, bringing knives or drugs to school, etc. Even teenagers know that they can't have knives and drugs at school, and that they have to do their homework in order to do well in school. Administration can't make a kid do homework. That's the kids choice.
You need to take some responsibility for your actions instead of blaming the administration and teachers for poor decisions.

Posted by: Girl ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:48PM

Can people stop blaming Jeff Yost? I agree that the system is majorly flawed, but he was just doing what he had to do, expelling Nick. Does anyone remember that Jeff Yost has a daughter in high school? Maybe it wouldn't be the best for her to know that people are blaming her dad for the death of one of her classmates.
And I don't believe that a single act like that can make someone commit suicide. I think a person has to really be mentally unhealthy to do something like that.

Posted by: DUH..DUH ()
Date: January 21, 2011 10:00PM

So, no homework for two months IN A NEW SCHOOL and no parental notification that we have a problem until interim grades come out late November is the parent’s fault? Parents fault? How do you check it until then? It is months since parent’s night. Nothing said that night. Try to have meetings when you see the grades and told to wait to January. Penknife: Officer’s decision. Not an all or nothing: Officer’s choice…Choice? F the kid and try to kick him out. WTWHS protocol. Someone needs to look into the LD Program and how WTWHS handles discipline with boys. I believe that cop only had girls. (Please confirm someone.) Fairfax, we have a problem at WTHS…… I blame them for not letting the family know until a report card come home that there is a problem. They hate boys at WTWHS unless their parents kiss ass. I have heard this over and over from parents wishing their boys went to Robinson or LB.

Posted by: YostHater ()
Date: January 21, 2011 10:04PM

I am not blaming Yost on his death. But, he has a terrible record with throwing boys out that could have stayed. Really, this needs to be investigated. His daughter’s status has nothing to do with this. That comes with the territory when you teach or work in the schools. Interesting that I have not heard about a son????

Posted by: Girl ()
Date: January 21, 2011 10:10PM

He does have a son. He's too young to be in high school.
Even if Jeff Yost is the monster people are saying he is, is blaming him really reasonable when Nick had a dying mother?

Pages: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.