HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tried selling my car on Craig's List
Posted by: ahmed ()
Date: January 19, 2011 12:48PM

I recently posted a car on Craig's List for $4500. It is a civic, clean, trouble free, low mileage ect ect you get the idea. Most of the calls came from middle easters low balling the shit out of me. One guy came out and after 30 minute test drive offered me $500, I laughed in his face and told him no. He then offers $550............Same experience goes for all the indians middle easters that I showed the car to. I know a lot of these fucks resell cars illegally but why would they assume that someone would sell them a car for a little over 10% of the asking price?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tried selling my car on Craig's List
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 19, 2011 12:49PM

Did they ask you not to peel of the DoD sticker?

Posted by: i say try ()
Date: January 19, 2011 01:03PM

Less money,less hassle.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 19, 2011 01:12PM

Usually when I do that two guys come out... one holds a knife to me and the other drives off with my car down the block a bit, then the second guy runs over to the car and they take off.

If you are seeing a racial pattern then just tell those people the car is sold, what is the big deal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 01:12PM by justsayin.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:17PM

Are explosives included?

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:10PM

ahmed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently posted a car on Craig's List

There's your problem.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:17PM

Was it this posting?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2166254465.html

That might explain the responses.

Posted by: ahmed ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:19PM

Shadow Wrote:
> Was it this posting?
>
> http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2166254
> 465.html
>
> That might explain the responses.

lol, no thats not mine, I took my ad down

Posted by: typical call ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:20PM

Kilton Wrote:
> ahmed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I recently posted a car on Craig's List
>
> There's your problem.

If you really want to see some scary people, give stuff away on CL. I've done that just to get rid of shit in my garage - old beds, furniture, stuff that is not easy to haul away. No matter what you are giving away, you'd think it was gold bars from the responses you get. I had someone drive from PG County to pick up a shitty old bed. Wild.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:25PM

They will pay you below bottom dollar -- they will find someone desparate enough eventually, purchase the car and send to the middle east or Africa. Say you were deparate enough...they would buy for $500 and sell for 5-7k. Don't think for a minute they won't fget that much. Booger eaters do it all the time when sending back to the Dark Continent.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:28PM

typical call Wrote:
> If you really want to see some scary people, give
> stuff away on CL. I've done that just to get rid
> of shit in my garage - old beds, furniture, stuff
> that is not easy to haul away. No matter what you
> are giving away, you'd think it was gold bars from
> the responses you get. I had someone drive from
> PG County to pick up a shitty old bed. Wild.

I thought I'd be a good samaritan and give away a bedroom set when I got a new one last Summer. I put up a CL ad "FREE" and told people to leave a phone #, I absolutely would not answer emails. I didn't list my phone number because I didn't want idiots calling.

I got about 30 emails before anybody left a phone number. Legit responses too, people who wanted me to deliver or wanted to break up the pieces, which I said I wouldn't do.

These people basically save me a trip to the dump, though. I should be grateful.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: January 19, 2011 04:32PM

When I sell cars on CL, I always emphasize words like FIRM, CASH ONLY, and NO LOW BALLERS.

The Middle Easterners are the worst. I always take phone numbers and Google them. A lot of times these pricks are dealers themselves and are taking the car you are selling them and flipping it either at a local used dealership or online. If their number shows up on CL when you Google it, don't bother calling back, you'll save everybody some time.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Ugh Man ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:52PM

The problem with CL is that there is absolutely no filter for the most wretched, dirty, dumb idiot to send an inquiry. You could be selling anything and someone will be there to low-ball you. If it works just 1 percent of the time, its worth it to them.

Hate CL sometimes, the hassle factor is so high.

I sold my old iPhone there a year ago and one of the guys responses was, no kidding, "I'll give you $20 for it." Of course his email adress was somethign akin to lildiablito@somethingdotsum. Yeah, I'll meet you lil diablito, you sound like a nice guy.

One guy wrote me back three times because I didn't write him back. He low-balled me on the offer, too.

I hate it when some dude thinks he's being smooth by asking a dumb-ass question so he can get your direct email. Ad says its red, but the first question is, what color is it?

Posted by: Ahmed ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:55PM

I hate every single last one of those fuckers. Sometimes you cant tell by the accent but the second you see them pull up you want to run. I mentioned FIRM in capital letters yet still I get shit like "waz yo buttom dolla? go fuck yourself

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:00PM

CL is hit-or-miss when buying and selling a car. When I buy I look for ads that are coherently written and include pictures of the vehicle. My experience has been that if you cannot spell, you are probably not doing much in the way of maintenance. Since I don't leave a phone number I use the e-mail response the same way and have found recently that 50% or more are bogus coming from a 'bot (typical message is something like 'still available?') or a scam offering to overpay with a money order with an agent picking up the car.

If I have a free item my listing venue of choice is Freecycle which is local and tends to have a 'better' class of subscribers.

Date: January 19, 2011 05:01PM

Craigslist is definitely maggot bait and you get some serious derelicts. People who want to email you again and again with stupid questions. Cheap young fuckers who think they are slicky negotiators to offer 25% of the asking price. I've met people from CL i'd like to hit with a ball bat.

But all said, it is fucking FREE, for now at least. I can honestly say of all the fuckheads I've met, I've made some money with CL and it's been worth the hassle completely,

Posted by: Freddie Mac ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:01PM

I have sold a few cars through the Washinton Post and Craigslist and I have learned not to deal with camel jockeys at all. The worst of every race is in the car business, but middle easterners who deal in cars are the most annoying people on the planet. I learned simply to tell them the car was sold.

Posted by: Ummmm.. ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:28PM

Umm...let's see....you're trying to SELL the car. People come and offer a price you don't want. Try this: DON'T SELL IT TO THEM!!!

Why does it have to become a racial issue just because you don't like to negotiate? The fun of the process is laughing off these offers, and enjoying yourself. I've made many friends -- whatever their origin -- through these interchanges.

Get a life, my friend, and stop taking yourself so seriously

Posted by: Fuck Ahmed ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:36PM

Ummmm.. Wrote:
> Umm...let's see....you're trying to SELL the car.
> People come and offer a price you don't want. Try
> this: DON'T SELL IT TO THEM!!!
>
> Why does it have to become a racial issue just
> because you don't like to negotiate? The fun of
> the process is laughing off these offers, and
> enjoying yourself. I've made many friends --
> whatever their origin -- through these
> interchanges.
>
> Get a life, my friend, and stop taking yourself so
> seriously

Its fun at first but gets real old, real fast when you waste your weekend showing a car to a bunch of jackasses. Why dont you get a life and get a real job instead of illegally curbing cars. I am going to start reporting these fucks and yes I google most of their numbers and 90% come up as resellers on Craig's List. Although it is fun to call them on their bullshit

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:37PM

Back before CL, I used to get Mexicans coming to my front door any time I'd throw something away like a mattress or old crappy furniture. Back when I was helping my family renovate their home, I found this case of old HI-C that fell off the storage unit and behind the heater. It must have been back behind it for like 5-6 years before I discovered it. I immediately put it by the curb in the trash with some other junk.

Later that day I noticed an old beat up car pull up in front of the house. I'm watching as this Mexican family gets out of the car, starts loading stuff from our pile of trash into the trunk including the HI-C case. How desperate do you have to be to take expired food from somebody's trash can?

Date: January 19, 2011 05:40PM

Who is being racial? We are talking about cultures (Middle Eastern) and how there is a disproportionate number of obnoxious, lowballing Middle Eastern buyers who insult you with ridiculous low bids. Even the Middle Easterners I know in retail can't stand dealing with their own people, what's wrong with a clear observation?

Ummmm.. Wrote:
> Umm...let's see....you're trying to SELL the car.
> People come and offer a price you don't want. Try
> this: DON'T SELL IT TO THEM!!!
>
> Why does it have to become a racial issue just
> because you don't like to negotiate? The fun of
> the process is laughing off these offers, and
> enjoying yourself. I've made many friends --
> whatever their origin -- through these
> interchanges.
>
> Get a life, my friend, and stop taking yourself so
> seriously

Date: January 19, 2011 05:45PM

I heard a funny tale about a guy who laid a bunch of furniture and clothes out on his curb with a FREE sign on it. He goes out for a drive and when he comes back a few hours later, some seedy couple is sitting in his yard and they have put price tags on all his giveaway junk. He yelled and they immediately scattered.

BrandonVA Wrote:
> Back before CL, I used to get Mexicans coming to
> my front door any time I'd throw something away
> like a mattress or old crappy furniture. Back when
> I was helping my family renovate their home, I
> found this case of old HI-C that fell off the
> storage unit and behind the heater. It must have
> been back behind it for like 5-6 years before I
> discovered it. I immediately put it by the curb in
> the trash with some other junk.
>
> Later that day I noticed an old beat up car pull
> up in front of the house. I'm watching as this
> Mexican family gets out of the car, starts loading
> stuff from our pile of trash into the trunk
> including the HI-C case. How desperate do you have
> to be to take expired food from somebody's trash
> can?

Posted by: waaaa!!! ()
Date: January 19, 2011 07:13PM

you posted your phone number on craigslist? no wonder people so often link racism with stupidity.

you should try experiencing the world outside of your wealthy suburb once in a while. it will toughen you up a bit and put things into perspective so you dont cry like a little tiny baby every time a scary adult man tries to negotiate a deal with you.

Posted by: Jon B. ()
Date: January 19, 2011 07:25PM

waaaa!!! Wrote:
> you posted your phone number on craigslist? no
> wonder people so often link racism with
> stupidity.
>
> you should try experiencing the world outside of
> your wealthy suburb once in a while. it will
> toughen you up a bit and put things into
> perspective so you dont cry like a little tiny
> baby every time a scary adult man tries to
> negotiate a deal with you.

Negotiate? These parasites are hoping to deal with people who will give away their cars. If you want a fair price and don't want to waste your weeekend on non-deodorant wearing towel heads, tell them the car is sold.

Posted by: Really! ()
Date: January 19, 2011 07:28PM

Try posting your car on a college web site. Kids have parents who have $$. Maybe GMU?

Posted by: Ahmed fuck this guy ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:06PM

waaaa!!! Wrote:
> you posted your phone number on craigslist? no
> wonder people so often link racism with
> stupidity.
>
> you should try experiencing the world outside of
> your wealthy suburb once in a while. it will
> toughen you up a bit and put things into
> perspective so you dont cry like a little tiny
> baby every time a scary adult man tries to
> negotiate a deal with you.

Toughen me up? I grew in a poor family in Belarussia, both of my parents died before the age of 12. I put myself through school and served in the United States Marine Corps so dont talk about toughening me up as I can show you life like you have never seen it before. Sorry I am not giving away my belongings for free to your uncles so that they can make a quick buck.

Posted by: DickDonnie ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:18PM

The dumb fuck that you are, I'm sure your parents shot themselves!

Posted by: Stupid thread ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:26PM

This needs to go!

Posted by: congratulations ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:49PM

nor should you. why does this hurt your feelings so badly? like your nancy reagan would say to you, just say no. you should not have to wring out your panties over this.

Ahmed fuck this guy Wrote:
> Sorry I am not giving
> away my belongings for free to your uncles so that
> they can make a quick buck.

Posted by: pretty bad ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:52PM

Afghanis and Pakis do it all the time.. they are fucking gypsies.

Posted by: Liban ()
Date: January 19, 2011 10:02PM

Should sell it chop shops, they'd pay u for big bucks.

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: January 19, 2011 10:11PM

Next time some camel jockeys try to pull a fast one on you, just mention you'll do to them what the Serbs did back in the 90's.

Posted by: say ()
Date: January 19, 2011 11:16PM

What year is the fucking thing?

If it's a '78 Civic, $500 might be a generous offer.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 20, 2011 12:51AM

I finally ended up selling one car to a neighbor/friend, and the other to some Mexican contractors who were patching up curbs for the Commonwealth. The Mexican was supposed to bring some extra money the next day, but as usual with spics, he never showed up. We still got more money than previously ever offered before.

Btw, don't use the Washington Post. Every time we put a car in their ads, the same person would call, posing as an interested buyer who'd never follow-up. I guess the jackass doesn't think that people will recognize his voice again. It's all a gimmick done by the WaPo.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Ali North Tower ()
Date: January 20, 2011 01:09AM

here is a picture of the car. its a 2002. 78k. KBB is way higher, I priced it low so I dont have to deal with this bullshit, I was wrong. I dont need the money that bad so Ill let it sit until it sells.
Attachments:
civic.jpg

Posted by: guitarist ()
Date: January 20, 2011 02:55AM

I had a Gibson Les Paul Custom that I bought new at $1700. I was ready to move on to a new guitar so I decided to sell it for 1200. I too got a bunch of calls from middle easterners trying to low ball the fuck out of me. One drove down from MD and got mad that I wouldnt accept his offer for $200, then demanded I pay for his gas.

Posted by: to what? ()
Date: January 20, 2011 05:40AM

i dont think you really can move on from a gibson les paul custom unless you move on to an older gibson les paul custom. was it super ugly or something?

Posted by: K9VC6 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:15AM

Мешок кортошки Ñ Ñивиком инклюдед????

Date: January 20, 2011 09:33AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
>
> Btw, don't use the Washington Post. Every time we
> put a car in their ads, the same person would
> call, posing as an interested buyer who'd never
> follow-up. I guess the jackass doesn't think that
> people will recognize his voice again. It's all a
> gimmick done by the WaPo.

Scumbag Post ad salesmen do this to give adveertisers the impression their ads work. I have seen this happen with retailers I work with.

The Post is a piece of shit rag to advertise in.

Posted by: slash ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:43AM

to what? Wrote:
> i dont think you really can move on from a gibson
> les paul custom unless you move on to an older
> gibson les paul custom. was it super ugly or
> something?

+1

Seriously, unless you decide to be a strat man, how does it get better then a Les Paul?

Posted by: steve ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:45PM

My wife sold her Civici within hours on Craig's list. She told all of the people that contacted her to meet at 5pm at the Oak Marr rec center parking lot. As it turns out, a guy in the office building across the street from hers contacted her and offered her cash+. Had he not done that, the plan was to show up at the parking lot and have the highest bidder (with cash) walk away with the Civic.

In the end, we emailed and phoned as many people as we could, but we ended up going to the parking lot to tell the people that showed up that we had already sold the Civic.

Anyway, I suggest the same tactic. You don't waste your time showing your cars to interested parties one-at-a-time. Do it in a public place so you don't get robbed.

Posted by: Prester John ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:52PM

Craigslist is not Ebay. If someone told me to go to a parking lot to look at a car and then bid against other people that were there at the same time, I'd tell them to go pound sand...

Posted by: Ahmed ()
Date: January 21, 2011 12:04AM

Prester John Wrote:
> Craigslist is not Ebay. If someone told me to go
> to a parking lot to look at a car and then bid
> against other people that were there at the same
> time, I'd tell them to go pound sand...

I agree 100%. The last time I was looking to buy a car I got in contact with the seller and we made an appointment. I had cash in hand and I drove 60 miles to see the car. By the time I got there the guy told me he already sold the car. I really wanted to pound his face in after making me waste my day driving out to see a car.

Posted by: guitarist ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:45AM

I wasnt moving up, I just wanted something less flashy, and affordable. I got an American Tele Deluxe, which im even happier with now. Some studio equipment was also purchased as a result of the sale.

Posted by: viridiana abrego ()
Date: February 08, 2011 10:52AM

FOR SALE! SATUR SL. 2001 A/C 2 DOR ESTANDAR COLOR GREY 133 MIYAGE. PHONE; 832 848 71 49 AND 832 278 61 93

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: February 08, 2011 11:37AM

LOL. You tell 'em, viridiana.

Posted by: Selling a car ()
Date: June 29, 2012 03:24AM

Sell my car for cash, just come to the acarforcash.com and enjoy maximum cash offer.

Posted by: melson ()
Date: June 29, 2012 03:49AM

sell my car now for insatnt cash.We are providingg sufficent cash to our customers for their used or useless cars.

Posted by: Whitey McLeesh ()
Date: June 29, 2012 07:22AM

Just put this in the ad: "I do not sell to people from the Middle East."

Posted by: this is funny ()
Date: June 29, 2012 08:13AM

Seeing as to how "middle easterners" have more money than most of your fkn loser rednecks in here, I understand where the hate comes from. I guess it hurts to see entire blocks of Fairfax station, Potomac, and McLean owned by middle easterners and Indians. And it probably hurts more to see them driving cars that cost more than your homes.

Ah well, haters gonna hate. If I had a 2002 Civic, I'd just give it to a family member.

Posted by: spam ()
Date: June 29, 2012 11:13AM

WingNut Wrote:
> typical call Wrote:
> > If you really want to see some scary people,
> give
> > stuff away on CL. I've done that just to get
> rid
> > of shit in my garage - old beds, furniture,
> stuff
> > that is not easy to haul away. No matter what
> you
> > are giving away, you'd think it was gold bars
> from
> > the responses you get. I had someone drive
> from
> > PG County to pick up a shitty old bed. Wild.
>
> I thought I'd be a good samaritan and give away a
> bedroom set when I got a new one last Summer. I
> put up a CL ad "FREE" and told people to leave a
> phone #, I absolutely would not answer emails. I
> didn't list my phone number because I didn't want
> idiots calling.
>
> I got about 30 emails before anybody left a phone
> number. Legit responses too, people who wanted me
> to deliver or wanted to break up the pieces, which
> I said I wouldn't do.
>
> These people basically save me a trip to the dump,
> though. I should be grateful.

One of my friends answered a CL ad that asked for people to send phone numbers and wound up getting a lot of spam texts. I won't email my number to anyone after hearing that.

Posted by: The Marketplace ()
Date: June 29, 2012 12:17PM

If you see an ad for nooses, George Allen must of put it up.

If you see an ad for copies of "Polygamy for Dummies" Mitt Romney must of put it up.

Posted by: Deborah Reardon ()
Date: August 27, 2014 01:18PM

Selling Toyota camary 1999 all new parts for 3500$ or b/o

Posted by: truth tellerz ()
Date: August 27, 2014 02:02PM

Deborah Reardon Wrote:
> Selling Toyota camary 1999 all new parts for 3500$
> or b/o

lol worth $2k TOPS.

Posted by: DMbTV ()
Date: August 27, 2014 11:46PM

Okay, so Craigslist is not the ideal way to sell a car. Who's had good experiences with other methods? Ads in the Post? Autotrader? Local papers? Ebay? If Craigslist is bad news, what works best?

Posted by: Telluride Skier ()
Date: August 28, 2014 12:27AM

Craigslist is great. Problem is that most people fail to take decent pictures and explain the sale. They think taking 1 shit picture of their item, putting a price up and a one sentence description will bring intent buyers.

Its just like you stupid fucking NOVA people who decide to have a garage sale and then post little signs with the address of your garage sale on them, assuming people either know where it is, or have time to gps it. PUT FUCKING ARROWS directing people to the sale.

Thoroughly describe the details of what you are selling and answer any potential common questions in the Craigslist ad. Explain that you are firm about your price and any other details. I buy and sell on CL and if the seller's ad sucks, I wont even bother calling them. Same goes for selling. If someone asks me a question that was clearly explained on my ad, then I hang up on them, because they were clearly too ignorant or stupid to read my ad. I've sold and bought boats, cars, and merchandise in amounts exceeding tens of thousands of dollars of stuff on CL here in NOVA in the last year. Its a great business... Just gotta know how to weed out the morons.

Posted by: trololollo ()
Date: August 28, 2014 02:09PM

Agreed ^^

Know the value of what you're selling, check out what the item is going for on ebay (with their 10% selling fee), write a good ad and reply to questions quickly. I've sold and bought vehicles on CL and ebay. I prefer CL since it's local buyers/sellers and a free ad.

Post a link to the KBB and/or NADA value if a car. Your buyer is going to look anyway.

Posted by: Craig's ftw ()
Date: August 28, 2014 02:15PM

DMbTV Wrote:
> Okay, so Craigslist is not the ideal way to sell a
> car. Who's had good experiences with other
> methods? Ads in the Post? Autotrader? Local
> papers? Ebay? If Craigslist is bad news, what
> works best?

Craigslist isn't bad, just avoid all middle Easterns as stated above. They will want you to pay them for your car.

Posted by: Ibought ()
Date: August 28, 2014 02:35PM

I bought a 1993 Lincoln Town Car off an Iranian guy 2006 for 800 bucks. It was an awesome car! He did hide some defects. When I went to roll down the windows he freaked no "no no!" It needed a couple new regulators. Also the air suspension lasted exactly 5 miles before it bottomed out. Luckily slapping a couple springs in the rear was all it took.

After all was said and done I got a dealer maintained one owner car for about $1150. Turns out it was a great price. Clunkers like that have gone way up thanks to the stupid 'cash for clunkers' program. Cant get a decent older car these days for that kind of money.

Anyway trickery can be part of the bargain on CL, you just have to be able to assess the risk. As far as vermon lowballing, phishing and scamming - that is also part of the deal. If you want to give crap away use Freecycle - its all hippies and socialists (quite harmless)...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.