HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Hunan West
Posted by: meep ()
Date: January 15, 2011 11:40AM

In my fruitless quest to find edible Chinese food in FX County, I thought I might try Hunan West in Kings Park Shopping Center, anyone eat here before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hunan West
Posted by: wtg eesh! ()
Date: January 15, 2011 11:47AM

meep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my fruitless quest to find edible Chinese food
> in FX County, I thought I might try Hunan West in
> Kings Park Shopping Center, anyone eat here
> before?

^^^^anonymous eesh post^^^^

Posted by: Dim Sum ()
Date: January 15, 2011 02:19PM

meep Wrote:
> In my fruitless quest to find edible Chinese food
> in FX County, I thought I might try Hunan West in
> Kings Park Shopping Center, anyone eat here
> before?

Marks' Duck House and across (patrick henry?) the street, X.O. Taste.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: January 16, 2011 12:26PM

I have not eaten there, but heard it was ok.

My favorite is Duk Wo in Burke Village II (at Burke Rd and Burke Lake Rd). Their Peking Duck and Fried Dumplings are the best around! So is everything else on the menu!

Date: January 16, 2011 06:09PM

I ended up eating at Hunan West last night, and my quest for edible Chinese food is over! The service was amazing, especially for being packed, the food was excellent and you get a lot for your money. It is not dirt cheap but for the quality and portions it is more than fair. I will still check out the places that have been suggested, but I was so happy to finally eat Chinese food that was great.

Posted by: whiterussian ()
Date: January 16, 2011 06:56PM

Been eating there for years - - it is really good stuff. They have a small Thai section on their menu that is surprisingly good as well. I like this place.

As an alternative, I might suggest China Star in the Fair City Mall. They have the usual fare, but also more authentic Chinese dishes on a separate menu. Try the tripe with green peppers - - it is awesome.

Date: January 16, 2011 07:14PM

I actually ate at China Star, I did hear about the authentic menu beforehand. Unfortunately, after trying both menus, I was not impressed, although I definitely would not say it was inedible. It just seemed very ordinary and, even for Chinese food, really greasy.

Posted by: MasonMan ()
Date: January 16, 2011 07:57PM

Tau Tau's in Burke is pretty good, and eating in is excellent.

Posted by: A Real Chinaman! ()
Date: January 16, 2011 08:43PM

You need to go to China Star with someone that speaks Chinese. I highy recommend the steamed fish.

Posted by: ChopSticks ()
Date: January 16, 2011 11:34PM

A Real Chinaman! Wrote:
> You need to go to China Star with someone that
> speaks Chinese. I highy recommend the steamed
> fish.

I recommend Jing Li, the greeter (Sat and Sun:11am - 3pm). She's a fine piece of meat!

Posted by: THEBEST ()
Date: January 17, 2011 01:10AM

hunan is THE BEST, such good orange chicken too. Great service, honestly, 10-15min is all it takes from call to door with them always, they always get a nice tip.

Posted by: Peggy ()
Date: May 22, 2015 08:45AM

My neighbors and I love Hunan West. They have been closed for renovations for several months and have finally opened.
Cannot wait to return. Friends who live in Aldie, come there too.

Posted by: Hank Ronan ()
Date: June 06, 2015 03:14PM

We've eaten at Hunan West for 20 years or so, and frequently order take-away as well. We have always found it very good. Pretty standard fare, what you'd generally expect from an American Chinese restaurant. Their hot & sour soup is great, as is the General Tso's chicken. I also favor the black bean sauce, with whatever meat or tofu. I especially like the Szechuan tofu. It could use more spice, but this is, after all, a suburban American restaurant. The rest of my non-spicy family loves the place for the egg foo young, chicken & broccoli and wonton soup. It's not spectacular, but reliably good and convenient.
As of today they've re-opened for business.

Posted by: exterminator ()
Date: June 06, 2015 09:20PM

All restaurant kitchens are infested, but the Asian joints take filth to a new level. I wouldn't eat their shit if they paid me.

Fortunately, when an Asian place is in a strip mall, the vermin spread to adjoining stores. Sometimes to the entire center. Good for my business!

Posted by: Former Kings Parker ()
Date: June 07, 2015 01:06AM

I grew up close to Kings Park shopping center and have dined at Hunan West many times. Their service is very good and the food is among the best Chinese food I've had in Fairfax county. It may not be the most authentic chinese food available, but I don't know many Americans that would prefer aged duck eggs. Ask for extra spicy and you're good to go. Owner is a nice guy and the servers are great, have been there for a long time and know what's up. Complimentary hot steamed towel and a scoop of sherbert at the end.

Posted by: mall ()
Date: June 07, 2015 07:37PM

try Hunan Gourmet in fair oaks mall, it is one of the best in this area

Posted by: bro 703 ()
Date: June 08, 2015 10:54AM

Get the SPICY BEEF PROPER, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!! Also, the duck is excellent.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.