HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bye bye, free iFile
Posted by: Howie Feltersnatch ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:06PM

WTF Virginia? I used to brag about iFile to non-Virginians. A free website where I could file my state taxes--and best of all it took all of ten minutes to do it, with 8 of those involving fiddling the numbers on the marriage credit calculator to come out right. It was awesome, easy to use, and I'd get my refund in about five days.

Well, bye-bye! Virginia's dumping that, and moving to "free file" which is free only if your income is like under $50k--which is fucking poor in NoVA. So no free filing for me. (Apparently there's some kind of free TurboTax online filing this year only.)

Herp derp! Get rid of the easy-to-use, fast website, and move to commercial software. Good jorb Virginia! Way to drag us back to the 20th century.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bye bye, free iFile
Posted by: GMU_Gradstudent ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:07PM

sweet name hahaha

Posted by: BLAH PEESH ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:08PM

WTF is right. Even the IRS offers "Free Fillable Forms" where anyone can e-file in lieu of send in paper. This move by VA must benefit the tax preparers/special interests or they wouldn't have killed a good thing.

Posted by: Howie Feltersnatch ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:10PM

Apparently, ol Bobby McDonnel got a phat campaign contribution from Intuit (who make TubroCrap) so there you go. Fucker.

Posted by: iFile Fan ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:57PM

With iFile, it cost the Commonwealth 17¢ a return. We should all mail-in our VA returns. It will costs much more to process the returns manually.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:03PM

takes the refund longer...But, yeah.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 11, 2011 06:17AM

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently, ol Bobby McDonnel got a phat campaign
> contribution from Intuit (who make TubroCrap) so
> there you go. Fucker.

McDonnell is an idiot. Getting rid of iFile was one of the first things he did as governor. It was a simple system that worked, and although I forget the dollar amount, it was really cheap for the state to administer. But even though it will cost more to process paper (which I will file from now on), McDonnell thought it was important to privatize it. His comment was something like "the state shouldn't be in the business of processing taxes online when there's already a private business doing it". His whole idea was stupid and now we're stuck with it.

Posted by: SNAFU ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:03AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Apparently, ol Bobby McDonnel got a phat
> campaign
> > contribution from Intuit (who make TubroCrap)
> so
> > there you go. Fucker.
>
>
> McDonnell is an idiot. Getting rid of iFile was
> one of the first things he did as governor. It
> was a simple system that worked, and although I
> forget the dollar amount, it was really cheap for
> the state to administer. But even though it will
> cost more to process paper (which I will file from
> now on), McDonnell thought it was important to
> privatize it. His comment was something like "the
> state shouldn't be in the business of processing
> taxes online when there's already a private
> business doing it". His whole idea was stupid and
> now we're stuck with it.

Didn't McDonnell say he was implementing the change as a cost cutting measure even though the whole ifile program cost less than $50,000 a year ( while each paper return costs a dollar to process)?

"Virginia eliminated the previous file program to cut down on operating costs", said Isaac Wood, communications director at the Center for Politics

"Moreover, the bill will eliminate a perceived problem wherein the tax collector — the state — also acted as the tax preparer", Byron said.

“The tax collector shouldn’t be the tax preparer; that’s a conflict,†Byron said. “This job should be done in the private sector.â€
Attachments:
bull.jpg

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:35AM

SNAFU Wrote:
>
> a perceived problem wherein the tax collector — the state — also acted as the tax preparer",

I'd sure like to know who perceived this "problem". They're fucking stupid.

Posted by: SNAFU ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:41AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> SNAFU Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > a perceived problem wherein the tax collector
> — the state — also acted as the tax preparer",
>
>
> I'd sure like to know who perceived this
> "problem". They're fucking stupid.

Answer: McDonell, Richmond, and TurboTax!

I believe they said it was a 'conflict of interest' (as in not in their interest); like the lobby contribution they received to seal this deal isn't! :(

Posted by: bs ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:28PM

SNAFU Wrote:
>
> “The tax collector shouldn’t be the tax
> preparer; that’s a conflict,†Byron said.
> “This job should be done in the private
> sector.â€

That's totally wrong. The Feds have Free Fillable Forms as previously mentioned. ANYONE can fill out an e-copy of the paper form for free and file electronically. Why doesn't VA do this? So the tax preparer folks can reap the business....

Posted by: Taxman ()
Date: January 13, 2011 06:41PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> takes the refund longer...But, yeah.|

If you are getting a refund, you need to adjust your W-2 with your employer.

Posted by: iFile Fan ()
Date: February 12, 2011 09:43AM

I just received my VA Tax form in the mail. It already cost the Commonwealth $1.05 in postage. It will problably cost at least $2 to process my return filed by mail. With iFile, the cost to VA was 17¢ per return.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 12, 2011 11:25AM

With all the brave posts and complaining here, I am very surprised not to have seen anyone in the cold in front of a government center building or anywhere at all protesting the removal of this service. But you guys keep posting here!! At least it keeps you busy!

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: February 12, 2011 12:45PM

TheMeeper Wrote:

> I'd sure like to know who perceived this
> "problem". They're fucking stupid.

So if they provide instructions on the form, are they still a tax preparer?

The perceived savings of getting rid of the electronic filing is a mere $50,000. And that assumes the previous electronic filers will still file electronically some other way. http://taxvox.taxpolicycenter.org/2010/04/26/shutting-down-virginia%E2%80%99s-ifile/

I won't be doing that. I bet you a significant number of people will go back to paper.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/apr/14/taxx14_20100413-221805-ar-161117/
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/jan/21/tdmet01-michael-paul-williams-virginias-new-tax-fi-ar-788675/
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2010/feb/07/iris07_20100206-173807-ar-10968/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 12:52PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: February 12, 2011 12:59PM

Here's the list of legislators who voted to kill ifile http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB1349

House:

Abbitt, Albo, Alexander, Anderson, Armstrong, Athey, BaCote, Barlow, Bell, Richard P., Bell, Robert B., Bulova, Byron, Carrico, Cleaveland, Cline, Cole, Comstock, Cosgrove, Cox, J.A., Cox, M.K., Crockett-Stark, Dance, Edmunds, Englin, Garrett, Gear, Gilbert, Greason, Griffith, Herring, Howell, A.T., Iaquinto, Ingram, James, Janis, Joannou, Johnson, Jones, Keam, Kilgore, Knight, Landes, Lewis, Lingamfelter, Lohr, Marshall, D.W., Marshall, R.G., Massie, May, McClellan, McQuinn, Merricks, Miller, J.H., Miller, P.J., Morefield, Morgan, Morrissey, Nixon, Nutter, O'Bannon, Oder, Orrock, Peace, Phillips, Pogge, Poindexter, Pollard, Purkey, Putney, Rust, Scott, E.T., Sherwood, Shuler, Sickles, Spruill, Stolle, Tata, Torian, Toscano, Tyler, Villanueva, Ward, Ware, O., Ware, R.L., Wright, Mr. Speaker

Senate:

Barker, Blevins, Colgan, Hanger, Herring, Houck, Howell, Hurt, Marsden, Martin, McDougle, McEachin, McWaters, Miller, J.C., Newman, Norment, Northam, Obenshain, Petersen, Puckett, Puller, Quayle, Reynolds, Ruff, Saslaw, Smith, Stosch, Stuart, Ticer, Vogel, Wagner, Wampler, Watkins

http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform

Posted by: MmM ()
Date: February 27, 2011 06:12PM

I just found out! Those idiots!!! Thanks Trogdor!

Posted by: voting Virginian ()
Date: April 18, 2011 04:54PM

No more iFile obviously to drive people to pay tax services for filing, so Bob can get his cut. And yes, I used the federal free fillable forms, so now I'm stuck with no way to file easily or for free. I'm going mail in a paper form, and request a refund by check, take that Bob. Also, I'm voting for anyone who runs Democratic for Governor, maybe they will re-establish iFile.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.