HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Top Golf - Alexandria, VA
Posted by: streamline ()
Date: August 16, 2005 09:34AM

Crazy new golf center offers fun for the whole family.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/03/AR2005080302264_pf.html

In Alexandria, TopGolf Livens Up the Driving Range

By Ellen McCarthy
Thursday, August 4, 2005; D01

The driving range: a few golf balls, some old clubs and an open field. What more do you need for some good old-fashioned fun?

Kevin Vouglitois would suggest the addition of computer chips, wireless networks and flat-panel monitors.

Yes, it's happened. Technology has invaded the driving range.

Tomorrow in the Kingstowne section of Alexandria, Vouglitois and his team will open a $4.5 million souped-up range called TopGolf that they hope will change the relationship between golfer and ball.

The theory is this: Instead of solitarily hitting ball after ball into an abyss of grass, players can compete against each other. It should be interesting enough to attract non-golfers, but serious enough to keep fanatics coming back again and again.

TopGolf gives customers targets to hit and keeps track of the score electronically. And, of course, there are "caddies" walking around serving chicken fingers and glasses of wine.

"It creates this fun environment . . . so a father can say, 'Wow, I can bring my whole family here," said Vouglitois, general manager of TopGolf USA.

Each player is assigned specific balls that are embedded with computer chips. Thus, when a player sets his ball on the tee, the computer network knows which person is up. The goal is then to hit the ball out to a series of target holes in the artificial-turf field that are between five and 25 yards in diameter. Points are awarded based on the distance to the hole and how close to the center of it the ball landed.

The holes contain chip readers so that when a ball comes in, it's identified immediately and a wireless network shoots data to the computer system so points are awarded to the right player. The 80 bays are equipped with monitors that keep track of scores, making pens and pencils obsolete.

The games change as players up the ante and want more challenges, but the price per player stays between $3.80 and $5.80 per game.

The concept originated in England, with two entrepreneurs who were bored with traditional golfing ranges. They spent three years developing the system and opened the first one in Hertfordshire in 2000. The company has since opened two more in England and one in Bangkok. The Kingstowne site is the first in the United States, but the firm is dreaming big, hoping to open more than 100 throughout the country over the next few years.

It remains to be seen if TopGolf will take off in the United States the way Vouglitois and his partners hope. In England, more than half of the customers had never played golf before, and that has been key to the firm's success. The Kingstowne center is trying to replicate that broad appeal by catering to couples on dates, children's birthday parties and corporate outings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top Golf - Alexandria, VA
Posted by: 2fast2furious ()
Date: August 16, 2005 12:48PM

You need to purchase an ID card to make this thing work.

Posted by: WAVA ()
Date: August 16, 2005 03:33PM

wow

Posted by: SWweeman ()
Date: August 17, 2005 08:32AM

2fast2furious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need to purchase an ID card to make this thing
> work.

Do you know how much?

Posted by: rusty shakleford ()
Date: August 23, 2005 04:57PM

The ID cards cost $3. They are what you use so the system can track your balls, the card is good for as long as you keep it. I've played there a couple of times and a typical game of 20 balls costs around $6.

The game is not unenjoyable, but the center is no longer a driving range, it is a place to go to play "Top Golf". If you want to practice and improve your golf the way you should go to a typical range.

Posted by: DBK ()
Date: August 25, 2005 01:12AM

Just went there for the first time this evening with my buds. It was quite enjoyable. You can get a "Founder's Membership" card for $25, which gives you $10 in credit at the restaurant/bar (can't use it for alcohol) and two free games. After 4 games on a given day, all games are just $2. Obviously, if you play during the daytime, the games are cheaper. The prices range from $3 to $6 per game (until you play more than 4).

So, you can hit two large buckets for under $30, which isn't completely outrageous, considering most other ranges charge about $10 for a large bucket. And, I disagree with Rusty that it's no longer a driving range. First off, the balls they use are Dunlop Locos, which are much better than any range ball I have hit at White Flint, Olney, Fair Oaks, etc. The distance and feel are comparable to normal balls. Second, I like being able to see exactly how far my shots are going and knowing for certain that I have hit my target. I am a 14 handicap, and I would definitely go back there to practice, even though I live in Rockville, MD.

Posted by: Flying Biscuit ()
Date: August 25, 2005 02:58AM

This is a franchise that will open across the nation. This is Number 5. 2 in the UK. One in Brazil and another I have no idea. Info at www.topgolf.com

The idea is to go with 4 friends in a bowling atmosphere. Eat. drink, party with table service. The card remembers all of your history, visits, scores to track inprovement. Everyones score shows up on twin 52" flat screens in the club house.

PGA pros are available for the Hardcore hacker.

Posted by: hahadddddd ()
Date: February 22, 2013 03:20PM

Will sequestering close them?

Posted by: dcbullets ()
Date: February 22, 2013 03:35PM

it's fun, but a lot of the chips in the balls don't work so that can be annoying

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.