HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Unofficial "Official Helicopter over Centreville" 2011 Thread
Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: December 31, 2010 04:02PM

OK, instead of starting a new thread every time (yeah, right), let's keep track of how many times the residents of the Centreville area are either annoyed or curious about helicopters circling Centreville in 2011. Could be interesting... (I'd put this in the Centreville forum but most users here are not savvy enough to realize there is one).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Unofficial "Official Helicopter over Centreville" 2011 Thread
Posted by: 5:30 pm 12/31 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 05:46PM

Chopper was just over Country Club/Chalet Woods. Too late to catch reason on police scanner....

Posted by: jimW ()
Date: January 03, 2011 01:44PM

last night:
hovered for about 30 minutes from about 1145p-1215a
what i caught on the scanner:
girlfriend screaming on front lawn in "west centreville" (behind giant/library) while cops were in pursuit of boyfriend.
boyfriend called 911 and tried to explain. meanwhile she said they had a gun, cops could not locate in it's "storage place" so they were looking all over for it and assumed he had it. the cops in pursuit said "just ask him where he is, we are tired of chasing him" they got him a few minutes later in front of giant in the parking lot.

Date: January 26, 2011 04:02PM

As mentioned here: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/492967.html I also heard this one last night from roughly between 1:30-2:00AM.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: January 26, 2011 05:11PM

Posted by: compton village ()
Date: March 23, 2011 01:02PM

yea just heard a helicopter hovering around compton village, its been hovering in the neighborhood late at night too

Posted by: Dunkin ()
Date: March 23, 2011 02:03PM

Inserting unofficial donut comment here.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: March 24, 2011 01:49AM

Y'all don't have anything on the choppers over Reston. I saw like four black helicopters circling overhead last night. I don't know what they were up to, but I suspect that an EBE escaped containment at the nearby research facility.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: danny the masterbator ()
Date: March 24, 2011 01:52AM

Hey douches mabey it's a pilot loggin hours and like to fly near his house?!?!?!

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 24, 2011 06:25AM

anybody remember back when the FCPD had like a fleet of 6 or 7 helicopters?

Date: April 05, 2011 11:36PM

Posted by: rickenbacker ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:54AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anybody remember back when the FCPD had like a
> fleet of 6 or 7 helicopters?

No, since 3 were the most they ever had at one time.

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:11AM

I remember being at a house party in Clifton in HS and they dispatched the chopper to round us up while we were "fleeing the scene". Pretty hilarious, they filled a paddy wagon with my classmates and one of them pissed in the back. I believe it was the pseudo-celebrity "Alex Riley" or his younger brother. Anyhow, they ran out of room in the wagon and had to let the rest of us walk home. The chopper sat above us burning that delicious taxpayer fuel and FLIR system for hours! *GASPS* Teenagers drink? OMG we need a helicopter!

Date: April 27, 2011 05:49PM

Posted by: Fairfax1 ()
Date: April 27, 2011 08:12PM

It's really not a big deal. FFX1 sits over off West Ox, so it's normally on this side of the county. There is a lot of training and other departments outside FFX request it and pay for that time. It's a shared resource.

Get over it.

Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: April 28, 2011 03:03AM

Yeah I suspect that a lot of that hovering stuff is training. Unfortunately last Sunday they picked 2 am to do there training in my neighborhood. what a pain in the ass. almost an hour of the chopper going round and round

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:52AM

wally pip Wrote:
> Yeah I suspect that a lot of that hovering stuff
> is training. Unfortunately last Sunday they picked
> 2 am to do there training in my neighborhood.
> what a pain in the ass. almost an hour of the
> chopper going round and round

Chances are that wasn't training. Probably searching for someone. You can always check the scanner when it happens if you really want to know.

Date: May 11, 2011 11:44PM

Helicopter over NW Centreville. That is all.

Posted by: hehehe ()
Date: May 12, 2011 12:04AM

yeah wats up with that it keeps circling like gate post/ va run

Posted by: Pedro eats Tacos ()
Date: May 12, 2011 06:37AM

Rumor has it that there is alot of drug trafficking happening in that area and the Fairfax county taskforce has been assigned to "Break It" wide open. So they are staking out that area and have air support for suspects that flee the scene.

Date: June 15, 2011 10:39PM

Helicopter roving over NW Centreville for last 10-20 minutes. eom

Posted by: Country Club ()
Date: June 15, 2011 10:42PM

It was flying right over my house wonder why?

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: June 15, 2011 11:18PM

My next-door neighbor is a pilot. He's been working nights lately. I'll ask him if Centerville is interesting these days.

Posted by: Curious One ()
Date: June 16, 2011 07:38PM

wnrsm Wrote:
> My next-door neighbor is a pilot. He's been
> working nights lately. I'll ask him if
> Centerville is interesting these days.

Yeah, there's been alot of activity lately. (Probably crime related)

Posted by: JJ74 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 09:46PM

June 6, early AM heli & police units out beacuse of gunshots near Union Mill Collonade reported.
June 16, late afternoon Union Mill Collonade bank robbery at BB&T.

Posted by: yagirll ()
Date: June 17, 2011 09:04PM

OMGGG i saw the holicopter yesterday...and then i saw an unmarked police car goin like 100 miles. was there like a chase or something?

Posted by: Sighting ()
Date: June 19, 2011 07:40AM

I saw this Navy helicopter flying in the area, I saw it earlier in Sterling near the mall there and later on over near Chantilly/Centreville...

http://www.marsecreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/US-NAVY-SEA-KING.jpg

Posted by: President Resident ()
Date: June 20, 2011 04:57PM

Another helicopter was over the Lakeside apartments last night. They seem to be over there a lot.

Posted by: Concerned Resident ()
Date: June 20, 2011 05:36PM

President Resident Wrote:
> Another helicopter was over the Lakeside
> apartments last night. They seem to be over there
> a lot.

Why are there so many helicopters buzzing the area lately? Increase in crime?

Posted by: fireworks ()
Date: July 04, 2011 08:09PM

what is going on right now at new braddock and 28? been circling low for a while...

Posted by: LRRer ()
Date: July 04, 2011 08:45PM

its been over Little Rocky Run for at least an hour now, very low. so weird.

Posted by: annanananaymous ()
Date: July 04, 2011 11:55PM

Yep, my neighborhood was completely swamped with cop cars today while a police chopper circled above. I saw at least 10-15 cop cars roll up and down green trails blvd.

Posted by: last night ()
Date: July 05, 2011 12:01PM

Re: last night's helicopter action:

http://centreville.patch.com/articles/stolen-car-chase-ends-in-manorgate#photo-6869575

(photos on the site)
Stolen Car Chase Ends in Manorgate
A high-speed car chase that originated in the District of Columbia ended on a quiet Centreville cul-de-sac on the evening of July 4th.

After leaving 66, and heading south on 28, the man parked the late model, silver Dodge Charger in a driveway on La Petite Place and fled on foot while Fairfax County Police caught up with the suspect. Several K9 and helicopter units were dispatched during the manhunt.

After fleeing nearly half a mile away, the suspect entered an open garage on Green Trails Court, where police cornered and took him into custody around 8 p.m.

Since this was a multi-jurisdiction case, the Virginia State police took custody of the suspect, and he was transferred to holding. As of publication time his name was not available.

Posted by: WTF ()
Date: July 06, 2011 11:17AM

No. The Fairfax County Police Department has never owned or used more than 2 helicopters at any time. In addition, the hangar can only hold two.

Posted by: Becky ()
Date: August 16, 2011 01:53PM

Helicopter over my neighborhood (London Towne-ish) around 4:00 this morning - seemed to be hovering for close to 45 minutes! Anyone get anything on the scanner about it?

Date: September 17, 2011 07:22AM

Posted by: LRR ()
Date: September 17, 2011 12:13PM

Flying over Clifton section of Compton road. This is getting annoying.

Posted by: cngcc ()
Date: September 17, 2011 11:04PM

Fairfax One landed on Braddock Road in Centreville this morning. There was a bad accident, not sure how the driver & passenger are doing now.

Posted by: Yahweh ()
Date: September 19, 2011 12:31AM

now.
Fairfax 1 looking for a "kid in a field."

Posted by: awake20120 ()
Date: October 03, 2011 01:22AM

Helicopter flying around for the last 20min at least (starting around 1 am) near 28/66 intersection. Still flying around - any ideas why?

Posted by: alsoawake ()
Date: October 03, 2011 01:34AM

I don't know but it's low enough it's woken me up here too.

Posted by: TomWood ()
Date: October 03, 2011 02:05AM

They are pursing some guys that bailed out at 66 and ran into the woods at Bradock. They have one in custody and k9s in the woods lookouts for the others.

The one in custody said his "cousins" ran into the woods. Sounds like a failed burglary and pursuit.

Posted by: annacolleen ()
Date: October 03, 2011 02:12PM

The helicopter was hovering right above the intersection of Cabells Mill, and Indian Rock Rd. I was drifting off to a sleep that I really needed, because I have not slept for the last 3 days, when I heard sirens. Then I kept hearing the copter passby, over and over and OVER again, so I looked out my back window, and saw lights from the noisy thing. Then went to the front window, to see if I could get a better look, and noticed it had begun to fly in a tighter circle. I thought about going out on the front lawn, but thought again. "What if they're looking for someone violent", like when I was attacked in my home back in March 2003, and they used a copter. They'd done their best, but couldn't find the guy, who'd not only attacked me, but a woman in Chantilly, after she returned from the shopping in the middle of the day, and a handicapped woman, while her mother ran out for something, and she was in the tub, bathing, again in the middle of the day. So, last night I started getting scared, and made sure all my doors and windows were locked. This is the first thing I have found about it. I'm surprised at how much the cops use their helicopter now. When I moved here in 1976, this place was like a part home, part farm community. I remember when Fair Oaks Mall, was just a bunch of land with cows on it! The library was in back of what is now the post offfice, down the steps. We had 2 soda fountains, one in the Centreville Drugsq store, next to Hunter Hardware, which was where the Alto Plaza restaurant is situated now, and one was in the Newgate shopping center, in Peoples Drugs. There was a good childrens shop there, and a good womens store. They were small, but had good stuff in them. So much has changed. We have alot of crime, compared to then, due to the increase in population. I sure am glad that we now have 20 acres on the top of a mountain, in West Va. on which to build a log home. I want outta here!!!

Posted by: This isn't LA ()
Date: October 03, 2011 05:14PM

The use of the Fairfax Police helicopter last night over Centreville from just after 1am until after 2:30am is the last straw. 90 minutes in a failed attempt to pursue a suspect. Unless there was somebody in the street dead with bullet holes, no crime, NO CRIME justifies such an excessive overbearing use of force in the middle of the night. The police can't admit to themselves that a suspect has eluded them so they take hours upon hours to clear an area without any regard at all to the need to balance out law enforcement with nighttime peace in the county. Last night the helicopter was up for so long that they exhausted their entire fuel supply and the funny thing was that for a few minutes there was consideration that they would go refuel and come right back for more after being in the air for over an hour and a half already! Add to this that the helicopter is frequently dispatched for completely rediculous reasons such as peepers and suspect vehicles that are so routine that EVERY other jurisdiction in the state and most in the country manage to handle them without helicopters, we now find oursevles in a situation where the police in the county are out of control. I have tried to engage the Helicopter Division directly on the use of their two helicopters and stressed the need that they only be deployed for medical emergencies and the most significant of crimes--and that if they are deployed to offer support for an air search that they be on the scene for no more than 10-15 minutes because after that, it is time to accept that the suspect is out of the area and for consideration to be given to the sleep of residents. The time for organized political action on this matter is long overdue and I intend to help organize it using my over two decades of experience in politics. The helicopters have value but if the police department can't be entrusted to use them wisely and with consideration for the residents of the county in mind with each use, and if police commanders on the ground insist upon extended use of the helicopter in a futile search such as last night's rediculous, excessive, and outrageous display of outright stupidity then it is time that the citizens who pay the bills and the county supervisors who set policy lower the hammer on the department with regard to the use of the police helicopters. I will have more time in the coming weeks to organize a detailed effort with regard to this and will post more here for interested persons. This isn't LA and I for one am not going to have this surburban police department with its two helcopters act like it is.

Posted by: H - ()
Date: October 06, 2011 12:56AM

Helicopter around 28 and Compton Road, been around a while now. . .

Posted by: Megan ()
Date: October 06, 2011 01:06AM

Very annoying. It's flying so low the windows are rattling. Anyone know what's going on?

Posted by: Itsy ()
Date: October 06, 2011 01:40AM

I've been hearing them since 1 am and its now 1:39. There are no sirens just helicopter after helicopter. I can't sleep. What is going on?

Posted by: Get over yourself ()
Date: October 06, 2011 02:28AM

This isn't LA Wrote:
> The use of the Fairfax Police helicopter last
> night over Centreville from just after 1am until
> after 2:30am is the last straw. 90 minutes in a
> failed attempt to pursue a suspect. Unless there
> was somebody in the street dead with bullet holes,
> no crime, NO CRIME justifies such an excessive
> overbearing use of force in the middle of the
> night. The police can't admit to themselves that
> a suspect has eluded them so they take hours upon
> hours to clear an area without any regard at all
> to the need to balance out law enforcement with
> nighttime peace in the county. Last night the
> helicopter was up for so long that they exhausted
> their entire fuel supply and the funny thing was
> that for a few minutes there was consideration
> that they would go refuel and come right back for
> more after being in the air for over an hour and a
> half already! Add to this that the helicopter is
> frequently dispatched for completely rediculous
> reasons such as peepers and suspect vehicles that
> are so routine that EVERY other jurisdiction in
> the state and most in the country manage to handle
> them without helicopters, we now find oursevles in
> a situation where the police in the county are out
> of control. I have tried to engage the Helicopter
> Division directly on the use of their two
> helicopters and stressed the need that they only
> be deployed for medical emergencies and the most
> significant of crimes--and that if they are
> deployed to offer support for an air search that
> they be on the scene for no more than 10-15
> minutes because after that, it is time to accept
> that the suspect is out of the area and for
> consideration to be given to the sleep of
> residents. The time for organized political
> action on this matter is long overdue and I intend
> to help organize it using my over two decades of
> experience in politics. The helicopters have
> value but if the police department can't be
> entrusted to use them wisely and with
> consideration for the residents of the county in
> mind with each use, and if police commanders on
> the ground insist upon extended use of the
> helicopter in a futile search such as last night's
> rediculous, excessive, and outrageous display of
> outright stupidity then it is time that the
> citizens who pay the bills and the county
> supervisors who set policy lower the hammer on the
> department with regard to the use of the police
> helicopters. I will have more time in the coming
> weeks to organize a detailed effort with regard to
> this and will post more here for interested
> persons. This isn't LA and I for one am not going
> to have this surburban police department with its
> two helcopters act like it is.

Now that you have come down from your soapbox, please at least attempt to get your facts straight. The police officers, K-9 Units apprehended 3 out of 4 of the suspects with the support of FFX 1. If the use of a police helicopter can deter criminals from other jurisdictions entering Fairfax County or assist in capturing them, then I am all for it.

Suggestion for you, instead of organizing anything, go get yourself some ear plugs.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: October 06, 2011 08:40AM

This isn't LA Wrote:
> The use of the Fairfax Police helicopter last
> night over Centreville from just after 1am until
> after 2:30am is the last straw. 90 minutes in a
> failed attempt to pursue a suspect. Unless there
> was somebody in the street dead with bullet holes,
> no crime, NO CRIME justifies such an excessive
> overbearing use of force in the middle of the
> night. The police can't admit to themselves that
> a suspect has eluded them so they take hours upon
> hours to clear an area without any regard at all
> to the need to balance out law enforcement with
> nighttime peace in the county. Last night the
> helicopter was up for so long that they exhausted
> their entire fuel supply and the funny thing was
> that for a few minutes there was consideration
> that they would go refuel and come right back for
> more after being in the air for over an hour and a
> half already! Add to this that the helicopter is
> frequently dispatched for completely rediculous
> reasons such as peepers and suspect vehicles that
> are so routine that EVERY other jurisdiction in
> the state and most in the country manage to handle
> them without helicopters, we now find oursevles in
> a situation where the police in the county are out
> of control. I have tried to engage the Helicopter
> Division directly on the use of their two
> helicopters and stressed the need that they only
> be deployed for medical emergencies and the most
> significant of crimes--and that if they are
> deployed to offer support for an air search that
> they be on the scene for no more than 10-15
> minutes because after that, it is time to accept
> that the suspect is out of the area and for
> consideration to be given to the sleep of
> residents. The time for organized political
> action on this matter is long overdue and I intend
> to help organize it using my over two decades of
> experience in politics. The helicopters have
> value but if the police department can't be
> entrusted to use them wisely and with
> consideration for the residents of the county in
> mind with each use, and if police commanders on
> the ground insist upon extended use of the
> helicopter in a futile search such as last night's
> rediculous, excessive, and outrageous display of
> outright stupidity then it is time that the
> citizens who pay the bills and the county
> supervisors who set policy lower the hammer on the
> department with regard to the use of the police
> helicopters. I will have more time in the coming
> weeks to organize a detailed effort with regard to
> this and will post more here for interested
> persons. This isn't LA and I for one am not going
> to have this surburban police department with its
> two helcopters act like it is.

FCPD is keeping the area from becoming like LA. Personally, I'm all for it.

The choppers are just one more noise in suburbia. I'd rather they were up there searching for the missing people, the alleged criminals, and whatnot than not. The search pattern they use can be annoying, but some nutball murderer or rapist would be considerably worse. And yes, they do search for people like that. They really aren't up there just to piss you off.

Date: October 06, 2011 01:59PM

Point 1. I didn't say that the helicopters aren't of value. In fact I stated exactly the opposite. However, they are being abused and used for inappropraite purposes and for inappropriate lengths time. It is those two things that need to be fixed.
Point 2. You use the word murderer as if that is what we're facing right and left in this county. I also stated that murder would be appropriate for an aggressive use of the helicopter but you know as well as I do that murders happen very infrequently in Fairfax County and that fact isn't because we have helicopters. The rediculous 90 minute use of the helicopter the other night had nothing to do with murder. Peepers and suspect cars are a frequent dispatch cause for the helicopters. That is unacceptable. If our efforts are successful, those helicopters will NEVER be dispatched for a peeper or suspect car. Those issues can be handled with far more stealth by ground units.
Point 3. There is NO other noise in Centreville on a Sunday night at 2am. None except the noise from the helicopter for nearly two hours straight which as you can see from the people making comments here, regularly wake people up. How many others are out there who are fed up with the noise who aren't even posting here? I know that there are many and I'm going to organize them to put a stop to this nonsense once and for all. I am confident that when our efforts reach full throttle we will ground the helicopters except for limited use and for limited periods of time.
Point 4. Anybody who feels that the police should simply use whatever measures they wish are putting themselves and their neighbors at greater risk than criminals ever could. Law enforcement should be respected for their efforts and for how they risk their lives but at the same time they should never, ever be allowed to use whatever measures they want including using a helicopter for nearly two hours at 2am over a residential area to seek a suspect who any human being with common sense would realize was long gone.
Point 5. I don't think that the noise is directed at me personally or that the helicopter is up there solely to annoy me. However, its overly aggressive use is a waste of money and is hugely disruptive to the lives of the citizens of this county. I've had it and I'm going to lead a major effort to change it. As I said, I am confident that by the time we're done those helicopters will be grounded except for use in narrow circumstances and for specific amounts of times. You know, I actually respect the pilots and officers involved. I respect the police. I lost a police officer friend in the line of duty over a decade ago. However, the situation is clearly out of control and Sunday night's nearly two hour nonsensical search proved that. It is time to remove the authority about dispatch and time on scene from the pilots and ground commanders and put them under powerful regulations with the sanction of funding cuts if they violate those regulations because they have demonstrated that they can't be trusted to behave themselves. By the time we get done highlighting the cost involved in too many dispatches and get the news media involved in the coming weeks, by the time I organize all who have long been fed up with the aggressive use of the police helicopters in the county, this will get changed over the long haul. These abuses didn't develop overnight and they won't get solved overnight but they will get solved and that effort starts this fall. Details on this organized effort will be posted here among many other places in the coming weeks.

Posted by: Ogie ()
Date: October 08, 2011 06:30PM

Foot pursuit in my neighborhood now off Rt. 29 - 8 cruisers on my street and helicopter above.

Posted by: Jay M ()
Date: October 08, 2011 10:31PM

Any news on this?

Posted by: melissa1 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 01:49PM

So whats going on today? Centreville off Old Centreville Road area helicopter keeps flying around over and over.

Posted by: awakeagain20120 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:46AM

Been circling for at least 1/2 hour just West of Sequoia Farms neighborhood. Anyone with a scanner know what's up?

Posted by: Chopper pilot ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:02AM

A citizen can call the Police non-emergency number and ask them about the helicopter. 703-691-2131

Posted by: Fooness ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:05AM

They are talking about the Giant and an open "hatch" on the roof and a screwdriver they found on the roof to open "one of the hatches". Burglary maybe?

They don't seem to be using the normal frequency very much on this tonight. Or they don't have much to say. I thought my scanner was broken frankly.

Posted by: called ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:14AM

All I got was that there was an incident @ Giant. One is in custody and more possibly at large... report anything suspicious

Posted by: Tired... ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:17AM

Ugh, I live maybe a couple hundred yards away from the Giant. This helicopter is driving me nuts. I can see the intersection of Sully Park Drive and Stone Rd. from a window, and there have been flashing lights on the ground there for a while too. The helicopter has a spot light.

Posted by: just as tired ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:20AM

your not the only one.. this is so annoying damn helicopter keeping people from sleeping if you havent found him/her by now with it then they are long gone, park that damn thing and let people get some freaking sleep

Posted by: annoyed ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:22AM

I live directly acrossed from the shopping center near the end (opposite end as Giant) and I'm going crazy too! WTF?! The non emergency dispatcher said we would hear the chopper for a while longer but not t be concerned just keep doors windows locked and stay indoors....seriously?

Posted by: annoyed ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:26AM

Its gone! And the cop cars lights are off too!! Yay:) nighty night:)....wait...I hear it again.... :(

Posted by: Fooness ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:33AM

Four subjects came to the Giant and apparently broke in thru the roof. At least one in custody and they have the subjects vehicle.

Posted by: idiots ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:03AM

wow they really must of wanted to go shopping...

Posted by: sleep deprived ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:06AM

apparently 5'9 appears to be 150 lbs. blonde hair. according to police scanner... helicopters still going. ugh.

Posted by: Soooo Tired ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:09AM

I still hear it...

Posted by: Mugs ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:59PM

It's happening again tonight. Seem to be circling Little Rocky Run area. What's the scanner saying tonight??

Posted by: lrrfam79 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:00PM

Just called the police and was told that they are military helicopters doing training exercises. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Mugs ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:06PM

Okay, I called the number listed above for the non-emergency police. Apparently, per the FAA, this is a military homeland security exercise. The police were not informed or know much about it, including when it will end! But it is apparent a planned event.

Posted by: LRR09 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:13PM

Military exercise over a densely populated residential area, at 9PM, with no notice even to the police? Love it!

Posted by: random name ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:14PM

Too funny...friend on FB sought guidance for helicopters over C'ville. Flip open FFU and open this thread. Boom.

And to think that some people think this place is a cesspool. While that may be true, at least it's a cesspool of knowledge! (at times anyway...lolz)

Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:25PM

Random.......It wouldnt have been me would it????

Posted by: police scanner? ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:59PM

where would a citizen aquire such an item. ebay?
are they expensive?
they seem liek fun and would be cool to have

Posted by: ads ()
Date: December 02, 2011 08:47PM

if you have a smartphone..i.e: iphone..they have apps u can download for scanners

Posted by: Watch the Skies ()
Date: December 03, 2011 02:28PM

Helicopters are all over the place!
Attachments:
heli_2.gif

Posted by: This Isn't LA ()
Date: December 05, 2011 11:35PM

Coming in January 2012:
Project R.O.T.O.R.
Reduction of Time Over Residences
Citizens of Fairfax County who pay the bills for the Helicopter Division's abuse of their two helicopters--It's time to take the toys from the little boys.
More details forthcoming on this advocacy campaign that YOU can be a part of after the holidays.

Posted by: Tom - Mason ()
Date: December 09, 2011 05:30PM

I don't know what Project R.O.T.R. is but there's a need for some significant noise abatement where I live. I don't live in Centreville, but there isn't a comparable thread for Mason District where I live. Between 10:30 AM and 5 PM today, we've had to put up with 5 high speed, low altitude passes by Blue Thunder. This is within one-half mile of the Mason Governmental Center. I'm going to start keeping more accurate records, but I expect to get buzzed at least three more times this evening. This isn't East LA and there's no evidence of a major crime wave in the area. The clincher for me came in August when the cops parked a chopper directly over my house from 4:30 AM - 6:00 AM in response to a loud party in a neighboring subdivision. So, instead of having a few neighbors kept awake, the cops managed to literally wake up the entire area. After that, I pretty much decided that the use of these choppers had to be reined in. So, if Project R.O.T.R. is, in fact, coming, don't just limit it to Centreville.

Date: December 10, 2011 04:21PM

Tom, this is indeed a county-wide problem that has been out of control for years and just keeps getting worse. I am aware of many who feel the same way and it's time for an organized response. The County Board is going to find it needs to be responsive to this big problem instead of just listening to what the police department spoon feeds them without any oversight at all. The police in this county can't seem to accept that this is a suburban area with limited violent crime, especially limited random violent crime, compared to huge cities like Los Angeles and so when they get a chance to respond to the kind of loud party that you mention, they go crazy. I am aware of instances where the helicopter has been dispatched at 1am waking people up just to search for a suspected peeping Tom. The department would make the laughable claim that the helicopters are what keep our violent crime rate low as if potential criminals give deep thought to the helicopters before they do anything. It's funny (or not so funny) that EVERY other jurisdiction in the state including Loudoun, Prince William, and Arlinton manage to do without police helicopters. I don't see Arlington as a war zone compared to Fairfax. The helicopters have no impact on criminal decision making. They can make a difference in going after suspects of significant crimes, locating lost children or senior citizens, and rescue but their role has gone far beyond those valuable uses and they are dispatched for everything and anything--and worse, they stay on site for periods of time that are nothing less than an insult to the tax paying citizens of this county. Enough is enough. Project R.O.T.O.R. is going to be an advocacy campaign for the entire county. One aspect of it will be keeping track of things like you mention so thank you for your willingness to do that. More details will be coming out in January. In the meantime, Happy Holidays.

Posted by: LRR09 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:58PM

They're back, one is just hovering over Little Rocky Run.

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: December 12, 2011 10:08PM

This isn't LA Wrote:
> Tom, this is indeed a county-wide problem that has
> been out of control for years and just keeps
> getting worse. I am aware of many who feel the
> same way and it's time for an organized response.
> The County Board is going to find it needs to be
> responsive to this big problem instead of just
> listening to what the police department spoon
> feeds them without any oversight at all. The
> police in this county can't seem to accept that
> this is a suburban area with limited violent
> crime, especially limited random violent crime,
> compared to huge cities like Los Angeles and so
> when they get a chance to respond to the kind of
> loud party that you mention, they go crazy. I am
> aware of instances where the helicopter has been
> dispatched at 1am waking people up just to search
> for a suspected peeping Tom. The department would
> make the laughable claim that the helicopters are
> what keep our violent crime rate low as if
> potential criminals give deep thought to the
> helicopters before they do anything. It's funny
> (or not so funny) that EVERY other jurisdiction in
> the state including Loudoun, Prince William, and
> Arlinton manage to do without police helicopters.
> I don't see Arlington as a war zone compared to
> Fairfax. The helicopters have no impact on
> criminal decision making. They can make a
> difference in going after suspects of significant
> crimes, locating lost children or senior citizens,
> and rescue but their role has gone far beyond
> those valuable uses and they are dispatched for
> everything and anything--and worse, they stay on
> site for periods of time that are nothing less
> than an insult to the tax paying citizens of this
> county. Enough is enough. Project R.O.T.O.R. is
> going to be an advocacy campaign for the entire
> county. One aspect of it will be keeping track of
> things like you mention so thank you for your
> willingness to do that. More details will be
> coming out in January. In the meantime, Happy
> Holidays.

FYI, those other jurisdictions call Fairfax to assist with the helicopter on MANY occasions and do in fact pay for that time so the usage doesn't fall as a cost to FFX CO taxpayers.

Date: December 13, 2011 10:44PM

Posted by: londontown ()
Date: December 14, 2011 06:24PM

I live in london town and have seen helicoptors at least, like, twice a week circling, hovering, and just flying about in my neighborhood since I guess august. Shits ridiculous, and actually makes me feel unsafe.
big brother ish. creepy.

Posted by: burglar at your basement door ()
Date: December 14, 2011 07:41PM

This Isn't LA Wrote:
> Coming in January 2012:
> Project R.O.T.O.R.
> Reduction of Time Over Residences
> Citizens of Fairfax County who pay the bills for
> the Helicopter Division's abuse of their two
> helicopters--It's time to take the toys from the
> little boys.
> More details forthcoming on this advocacy campaign
> that YOU can be a part of after the holidays.

I think I would rather spend time helping elderly residents or abandoned animals, not hanging out with grumpy old people pissed about the police using technology to catch criminals at OTHER peoples homes.

Date: December 15, 2011 11:45PM

Aw, too bad "burglar". I hate to disappoint you but I am nowhere near being "old and the advocates in this campaign won't be "hanging out". We will be able to do this advocacy while living our busy lives. What I am is a political professional who gives tons of my time and money to worthwhile causes and who is going to organize like-minded people all over this county who want and expect nothing less than a police department that respects the people of Fairfax County, is mature, uses its technology wisely and with restraint, and gives serious thought to the citizens who pay the bills before hovering over residences waking people up in the middle of the night for crimes that were not violent or significant and where the suspects have long since fled the area. So, once again, so sorry to disappoint you but Project R.O.T.O.R. is going to draw upon years of political experience to organize the citizens of Fairfax County once and for all against the abuses of the Helicopter Division and the rest of the police department on the use of the two helcopters. If you think that the police department should have the right to use excessive force such as dispatching the helicopter for anything and everything at all hours with no weight given to the disruption to the community as if we're all just stooges who should take whatever is dished out to us then you can certainly have that opinion but I believe that you will find plenty of other citizens of all ages all over this county who are about to say with one voice that enough is enough. Project R.O.T.O.R. coming in January.

Posted by: relax dude ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:48AM

Get over yourself, If you are so qualified at whatever it is you do, run for political office. The fact you use terms like excessive force as it relates to aerial observqation tells me you are nut job that no one is going to take seriously anyway.

Date: December 16, 2011 12:47PM

We shall see about that sir. The fact that you refer to a police helicopter hovering over a scene at 2am for nearly two hours keeping people awake when no suspects remain in the area and the crime committed is a traffic stop or break-in as "aerial observation", and the fact that you seem so upset about the fact that any citizen of the county would dare to question the police department demonstrates to me all the more just how much of a need that there is for such an advocacy campaign. People like you who are so out of touch will only further the cause.

Project R.O.T.O.R. coming in January.

Posted by: Tom-Mason ()
Date: December 16, 2011 03:53PM

TIL: I think you're being too indulgent with some of your critics. Candidly, I could care less about the views of people who think that being kept awake for hours is acceptable. If they disagree with you, too bad. The objective of any public initiative is to address a problem. So what if BBD would rather hug bunnies?

What's obvious here is that recently there's been a quantum increase in chopper overflights and that this has resulted in serious disruptions to everyday life. The cops know about this and don't give a ... From their perspective, they're doing the most important job in the world and, accordingly, could care less about what we think. Moreover, I seriously doubt if the Board of Supervisors has as much control over the cops as most people would like to believe. So, curtailing the abusive practice of having helicopters loitering endlessly over residential neighborhoods is going to be a tough sell. What foremost needs to be done is to get a good idea of what the cops are actually doing with these choppers and, assuming that much of this activity is gratuitous, how many other residents want to do something about it.

Posted by: Infra Red ()
Date: December 16, 2011 03:56PM

Tom-Mason Wrote:
> ...there's been a quantum increase in chopper overflights...

Probably scoping out overheated houses to find marijuana growers.

Ask that ex-VP of Cub Run how they found his house.

Posted by: Sin Jin Hawk ()
Date: December 16, 2011 05:07PM

I took this pic on Wednesday of this military helicopter flying over Fairfax Station. After hovering for about 4 minutes, it changed direction and headed over to Centreville. I saw it again when I was going down Route 66 towards Manassas. I was under the impression that military helicopters and planes were not allowed to due maneuvers below a certain altitude over population centers. What does the law say about this?
Attachments:
37655_526001852743_183201445_30918899_5491839_n.jpg

Date: December 16, 2011 05:11PM

The official line is that Blue Thunder is the cops' "force multiplier". That seems to mean that they can cover more ground with fewer people if they have eyes in the sky. That makes sense if they're running down burglars or looking for lost kids. I get the sense that nowadays they're calling in air support merely because its available. For example, serving warrants or (as I vividly remember) breaking up late night parties. That would explain why I continually see Blue Thunder flying around here at speeds that plainly make it impossible for the aircrew to be observing a specific location. The fact that they're disrupting a thousand people at a time apparently doesn't inform their thinking. This then raises the question of whether people are willing to put up with the increasing nuisance of letting the cops use a helicopter just because they have one or whether it's time to place some reasonable limits on this activity, particularly after dark.

Posted by: skav ()
Date: December 16, 2011 06:06PM

Dont worry...the pesky heliocopter flights will soon be largely replaced by something quieter, but much more ominious. Yes, those neat drones being used to blow-up and monitor swarthy mid-eastern types overseas and to monitor our borders, will be coming to a police department near you. There is a huge push underway to sell the presumtive cost-effectivness, and time and life saving capabilities of drone technology to police and government at the state and local level. Maybe not tomorrow, but sooner than you think. I won't bother to list all the potential scenarios where drone technology could save lives or help avert disaster,and those will be used as the selling points. Testing is already underway. Of course questions of liberty and law abound,but the law is already struggling to keep with technology. It wont be long before your local FCPD addresses a situation by launching or calling in a drone, assessing the situation in a more clear and stealthy way using a host of technological tools that make assessing via a heliocopter virtually obsolete.

Posted by: Guest ()
Date: December 16, 2011 10:21PM

The noise issue is being addressed with the purchase of two new Bell 429 helicopters. LOL

They already got one of them. It's not in service yet but they've been flying it around some.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dmb/fy2012/budget_questions/bos/responses_package_4/35_helicopter_summary.pdf

Posted by: Tom_Mason ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:00AM

Here's the noise certificate for the Bell 429:

http://www.easa.eu.int/certification/type-certificates/docs/noise/EASA-TCDS-R.506_%28IM%29_Bell_Helicopter_Textron_Canada_Ltd._Model_429-01-23092009.pdf

The overflight spec. is right at 90 dbs. Anything over 85 db is considered harmful. Considering the excessive speed at which the cops are running these choppers, I would expect to hear that (and probably more) all too clearly, especially in light of the cops' propensity for loitering over areas for protracted periods of time.

In other words, the report that you uncritically cite is is meaningless.

Posted by: Blue Thunder ()
Date: December 17, 2011 07:38AM

Tom-Mason Wrote:
> The official line is that Blue Thunder is the
> cops' "force multiplier". That seems to mean that
> they can cover more ground with fewer people if
> they have eyes in the sky. That makes sense if
> they're running down burglars or looking for lost
> kids. I get the sense that nowadays they're
> calling in air support merely because its
> available. For example, serving warrants or (as I
> vividly remember) breaking up late night parties.
> That would explain why I continually see Blue
> Thunder flying around here at speeds that plainly
> make it impossible for the aircrew to be observing
> a specific location. The fact that they're
> disrupting a thousand people at a time apparently
> doesn't inform their thinking. This then raises
> the question of whether people are willing to put
> up with the increasing nuisance of letting the
> cops use a helicopter just because they have one
> or whether it's time to place some reasonable
> limits on this activity, particularly after dark.

Date: December 17, 2011 03:45PM

In case you're still in doubt, here's a video of the allegedly quiet Bell 429:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P8_xX6yCaMY

Loud enough for you? This merely reinforces my earlier point. It's clear that whoever informed the Fairfax Board that this chopper makes half the perceived noise of the current ones was woefully ignorant. In fact, it's the interior noise that's substantially reduced. So, unless you're flying in the thing, don't expect much to change.

Date: January 04, 2012 05:01PM

Beginning on Saturday, December 17, I began to tally the number of direct passes that Blue Thunder was making over my house in Mason District. Since I wasn't at home on some days, this is probably an undercount:

12/17 Sat
1:53PM
2:11PM – 2:12PM
3:51PM

12/18 Sun
4:18PM
8:56PM

12/19 Mon
6:55AM
10:03AM
10:41AM
4:16PM

12/20 Tues.
1:45PM

12/21 Wed.
10:05AM – 10:20AM

12/22 Thu.
9:55AM
11:44AM

12/26 Mon.
6:14PM – 6:17 PM

12/28 Wed.
10:40AM
11:20AM
2:33PM
2:51PM
8:29PM

01/02
2:40PM

01/03
8:14AM

01/04
10:15AM
11:11AM
4:26PM
4:52PM

Each of these incidents represents a high speed, low altitute flyover creating enough noise to temporarily drown out speech. A lot of these daytime incursions go unnoticed because people are away at work. However, if you work from home or happen to be home sick, they become readily apparent. It's becoming clear to me that, bassed on what I've recorded to date, police helicopters are disrupting daily life in Fairfax to a much greater extent than I had previously been aware. I'll continue to follow this phenomenom but, at some time, I'm going to have to begin filing information act requests aimed at determining if the disruption these chopper create justifies their continuing use except possibly for lifesaving.

Re: Operation ROTOR
Date: January 18, 2012 08:11PM

Final Tally: Between Sat, 12/17/11 and Mon. 1/16/12, Captain America made no less than 46 low altitude, high speed passes over the area near the Mason Government Center. Since I wasn intermittently out of the area, I would wager that this is a considerable underestimate. At over 85 db per incident, Blue Thunder is arguably the most disruptive noise source in this area. That includes the downwind jet traffic that is almost continually present. IMHO what needs to be done now is to gather similar data from other parts of Fairfax County to determine how pervasive this noise problem is and how many citizens are interested in doing something about it. One obstacle will be the demonstrated unwillingness of the police to explain the reason for the high number of flights that are occuring. For example, on Wed. 1/04/11, the cop chopper was over this area 6 times between 10:15 AM and 7:35 PM. However, the cops at the Mason District station predictably refused to answer my repeated inquiries about what this activity was all about. I guess it won't be my business until I make it so. That's what this exercise is all about.

In anticipation of purchasing two new whirybirds for the 2012 budget year, the county staff advised the County Board in a briefing memo that the chopper boys respond to two or three thousand calls per year. That's hardly precise. Yet, the memo also states that only about 100 of these involve medical airlifts. This suggests that choppers are almost constantly in flight (explaining the resulting racket) but that no one is keeping track of exactly what the Fairfax Air Force is up to. If I had to guess, I'd say they're up there a lot of the time just because they're available. Moreover, contrary to what's stated in the briefing memo, the purchase of new helicopters to replace the current ones won't affect the noise problem because the new ones are rated by their manufacturer as being at least as noisy. This is logical because they are about 1,500 lbs. heavier when unloaded and, therefore, unlike the current single engine rattle traps, when loaded have to run on two noisy engines. They do, however, have more range, meaning that they can stay airborne longer and, thereby, bother even more people. In short, this isn't a formula for optimism.

In conclusion, I have enough evidence right now to make a case for requiring the cops to start justifying the disruption being created by their persistent use of helicopters over crowded areas. I also assume that's what East LA Man had in mind when he announced his plans for Operation ROTOR. The next step is to acquire more information on helicopter activity across Fairfax. Once that's done, it will be easier to attract public interest and ultimately determine how many residents are fed up with his problem and want to do something to curb it. The larger the constituency, the less successful the cops cops are going to be in refusing to disclose exactly what justifies the incessant disruption their choppers are seemingly creating all over Fairfax. More about that soon.

Re: Project R.O.T.O.R. - MIA
Date: February 09, 2012 11:23PM

Date: December 16, 2011 12:47PM

Project R.O.T.O.R. coming in January.

To: This isn't LA

January has passed and still no sign of Project R.O.T.O.R. So, what's the story? Is this a stealth project designed to surreptitiously bring about social change or just one person's fantasy? Right now, it appears that this project would better be named "Project Hot Air". So LA, it's time to either put up or own up to being a poser.

Posted by: Annoyed in DC ()
Date: March 06, 2012 09:13PM

They're here in DC too... I can't understand it. They fly all day and until late in the night - sometimes at 1:00 am, one day last week they were up there after 2:00 am. What's the point? I live on the top floor of a downtown condo. I have an excellent view of the streets and the skys. When our local blue & white helicopter is in the air, there is NEVER accompanying police assistance on the ground, so exactly how does the helicopter pilot intend to apprehend a suspect? Is he planning to leap out of the helicopter from 600 feet above the groud landing on top of the suspect? If you happen to have any open visibility through your penthouse windows, They have no regard for your right to privacy, and they'll relentlessly stalk the neighborhood until you close your curtains - and then they go away. Who can we call? Aren't there noise ordanance laws that require them to fligh at specific heights above residences - especially at night? Are they required to show some evidence to support the need for them to surveal quiet, sleeping residential neighborhoods - especially after 10 pm? I mean, honestly, if there's that much crime in my neighborhood, then they should let us know so that we can move away from here. I don't see evidence that they are actually stopping criminal activity, or assisting the police in any way. The DC metropolitan police department helicopter is grounded by sometime near 11:00 p.m. The blue & white helicopter belongs to the National Park Service, and when they're driving NPS cars in our neighborhood, they can't arrest anyone or even write parking tickets because they are out of their jurisdiction! A NPS seargent told me that he could only arrest someone if they were on Federal property, at a memorial site, etc. but for general crime in our neighborhood, only the DC Metropolitan police can step in. So how does that jive with their areal survelance activities? Are the justified in their effort to hover, surveal and generally annoy innocent tax-paying constituents? If they're actually fighting crime, then I'm all for it, but if they're just up there to be there, then how do we get them to go the hell away?

Posted by: YOU MISSED ONE ()
Date: March 24, 2016 04:55PM

Old thread dredger upper falling down on job?

Posted by: 703 624 1878 Kewal Paudel ()
Date: March 25, 2016 11:12PM

703 624 1878 Kewal Paudel

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.