HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 30, 2010 07:44AM

I'm looking for a reputable TJ Prep course for my 7th grader. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Yet Another Parent ()
Date: December 30, 2010 07:49AM

If there is a prep course that can help get into TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for admissions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Parent of TJ Grad ()
Date: December 30, 2010 08:47AM

And if your child needs a prep course to get into the acceptance pool, the child will be MUCH better off attending his or her base school.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: to parent of TJ grad ()
Date: December 30, 2010 11:18AM

You sound like a real snob! I bet you are the parent who never shuts her trap about how great her kid is. My kids did great and did not go to TJ but I don't brag all day about it. Shame on you for giving this child that advice! You sound like a real winner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: DSAFa ()
Date: December 30, 2010 02:09PM

Mary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking for a reputable TJ Prep course for my
> 7th grader. Any suggestions?

You, ma'am, are what is wrong with society today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 30, 2010 03:32PM

Uh, you're the only one bragging about your kids.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Hey Mary ()
Date: December 30, 2010 04:29PM

STFU!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: couses ()
Date: December 30, 2010 04:44PM

performance on the test after taking courses =/= witnessing natural talent in your kid

TJ is about natural talent. so no. we're not helping you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Nerds ()
Date: December 30, 2010 04:54PM

So many kids from TJ do not do well after high school. When they see they are not #1 when they get to college and they really need to learn in a big classroom. They then have to compete with others from across the US. Fairfax county cannot trump private school. TJ is good but lacking in many areas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Parent of TJ Grad ()
Date: December 30, 2010 06:30PM

to parent of TJ grad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You sound like a real snob! I bet you are the
> parent who never shuts her trap about how great
> her kid is. My kids did great and did not go to TJ
> but I don't brag all day about it. Shame on you
> for giving this child that advice! You sound like
> a real winner.


As a couple of other posters subsequent to you seemed to have picked up on, you seem to be an Olympic-calibre conclusion-jumper.

I don't brag about my kids all day (one TJ, one not). My TJ kid was somewhat middle-of-the-pack (4.2 GPA, and I am not bragging when I state that--that is middle of the pack at TJ). She is very well-adjusted, DESPITE having gone to TJ, and was well within the test scores and GPAs, etc., to gain admission to TJ. If she had been more borderline on the admissions front, and had gotten in, she likely would have had a miserable experience, probably teetering on getting kicked out, or transferring to her base school somewhere between two weeks and two years from matriculating.

I stand by my statement--if you need help along the lines of a test prep course to get into the pool of candidates, you will be MUCH better off not going there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: to parent of a TJ grad ()
Date: December 30, 2010 06:46PM

Go on and toot your horn for your kid. In the end the results are all that matter.

I cannot remember the last time someone asked our cared where I went to high school.

BTW: I made over 2 mil last year. Suck on that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 30, 2010 07:23PM

I believe that taking the TJ exam has more to do with preparation than intelligence - like studying for a test. 2500+ students apply to TJ & only 400+ are admitted. Some very smart kids are left behind NOT because they weren't as 'talented', but because there aren't enough slots AND perhaps because they weren't as prepared as other students. If my child isn't accepted to TJ, she AND I can live with it, but whether some parents/kids out there want to believe it, it's HER desire to apply, and to be prepared for the exam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: I AM A TJ GRAD ()
Date: December 30, 2010 07:52PM

AND I'S BETAR THAN ALLS OF YOU! MARY IZ RITE. KIDS NEEDS TOBE GOIN TOO THE GUD SKOOL N GETIN THE GUD GRAEDS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Parent of a TJ Grad ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:51AM

to parent of a TJ grad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go on and toot your horn for your kid. In the end
> the results are all that matter.
>
> I cannot remember the last time someone asked our
> cared where I went to high school.
>
> BTW: I made over 2 mil last year. Suck on that.

How does retired 10 years ago at age 40 sound to you, Mr. Toot? I guess you don't need to have very good reading comprehension to make over 2 mil a year these days...as I was clearly not tooting any horns for my kid, simply trying to get the point across that if you need to do test prep to get your scores into the realm of acceptable, you pretty much don't belong there. Honestly, if you can not manage to score well on the tests without a prep course or the like, you will be in over your head.

But don't take it from me, you are the ones seeking advice on Fairfax Underground.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: NegativeDreamStealer ()
Date: December 31, 2010 12:56PM

Yet Another Parent Wrote:
> If there is a prep course that can help get into
> TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for
> admissions.

Right on.

Nerds Wrote:
> So many kids from TJ do not do well after high
> school.

Evidence, please?

couses Wrote:
> TJ is about natural talent.

If that's true, why is admission based (at least in part) on a test of knowledge and skills that can be acquired?


Parent of TJ Grad Wrote:

> (4.2 GPA, and I am not bragging when I state
> that--that is middle of the pack at TJ).

I admit it's been a long time since I was in high school, but in my day the highest possible GPA was 4.0 (and an A was 94-100 percent; a B was 87 to 93 percent).

If the grade scale is as inflated as it seems to be, how meaningful is a 4.2 GPA, really?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:30PM

If there is a prep course that can help get into
> TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for
> admissions.

Right on.

Prep courses help you test better. There are prep courses for SATs and the wise ones usually take them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: whs ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:10PM

Mary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there is a prep course that can help get into
> > TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for
> > admissions.
>
> Right on.
>
> Prep courses help you test better. There are prep
> courses for SATs and the wise ones usually take
> them.

You dumb bitch, the SAT prep classes are not taken by the "wise ones". They are taken reluctantly, by kids whose parents feel like the courses are a necessity or knew they would look back and regret not making their kids take the class. The prep classes are stupid, and a complete waste of parents money and kids time. I scored significantly better on the SAT without ANY prep whatsoever compared to my friends who took the prep classes. They all agreed that they were a waste of time and didn't make them any more prepared for the SAT. And stfu, your kid is nothing special

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: this helps me a lot ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:26PM

This thread is so enlightening. So taking tests is the big important skill and we need classes to learn how to do it. Once we pass our test taking class, we will be able to pass tests and this is what we need to do to get ahead in life. Okay. Thanks for this post. I really didn't know that those test taking classes were such miracle courses. I guess we need to go to specific ones though---like the one for the TJ test, the one for the SAT test, etc. Are there more I should know about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:35PM

>This thread is so enlightening. So taking tests is the big important skill and >we need classes to learn how to do it. Once we pass our test taking class, we >will be able to pass tests and this is what we need to do to get ahead in life. >Okay. Thanks for this post. I really didn't know that those test taking classes >were such miracle courses. I guess we need to go to specific ones though---like >the one for the TJ test, the one for the SAT test, etc. Are there more I should >know about?


There is nothing enlightening about this thread. I do find it intriguing, though. I am curious, what you & a lot of people on this thread do for a living.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: whs ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:41PM

>
> There is nothing enlightening about this thread.
> I do find it intriguing, though. I am curious,
> what you & a lot of people on this thread do for a
> living.


I'm a college student. How about you Mrs. Big Shot Bitch? Let me guess, stay at home mom?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:46PM

A lot of anger going on here. Where do you go to school?

And no, I'm not a stay home mom. But what's wrong with a stay home mom? And why do you hate women?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: To Mary ()
Date: December 31, 2010 06:05PM

What do you do? How much do you make? Did you pay for college?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 31, 2010 07:49PM

I'm an author. My annual income varies, depending on royalties, speaking fees, and honorariums, but I do make a good living. My parents paid for my education.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: this helps me a lot ()
Date: December 31, 2010 08:16PM

This thread is so enlightening.

Mary---I guess you couldn't "hear" my sarcasm in that post.

My point is pretty much the same as others here---if you need this class to get into TJ, you probably shouldn't be going to TJ. If barrier tests can be passed by taking a test class, well there's probably something wrong with the whole TJ system of entry and schooling.

In fact, I think there are a lot of problems with the GT system. My son is in a mainstream HS. A friend of his from school went through the GT program (the one where you go to another school instead of the base school). He went through 8th grade with that, but now he's back at the base HS (not TJ). Guess what? He is in a lower math class than my son (who never went to the GT school). He also failed his foreign language class and has switched languages. So much for GT. What the heck does it mean? I think I know the answer to that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 31, 2010 09:01PM

To: this helps me a lot -

I heard your sarcasm.

Is your opinion of the GT Program based on your son's one friend? No program is perfect, but if this child failed his foreign language class, it sounds like his problems might stem from other sources as well. I also think you have a misconception of the GT Program as do a lot of parents who feel their children were cheated out of an 'elite education'. The GT Program is geared towards highly intelligent children who think and learn differently. Many of the children are deemed twice exceptional, i.e., highly intelligent with learning disabilities. The program doesn't guarantee success in school or life and it's not a perfect fit for every child even if they were placed in the program based on test scores and teacher referrals. But for many children, this is a thriving environment.

I hope this helps you a little.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: this helps me a lot ()
Date: December 31, 2010 09:34PM

I certainly do not feel my child was cheated out of an "elite education". I did not try to get him into a GT center. I know who he is and am totally satisfied with that. He's a great kid---a terrific musician in fact. I do think it's weird that you think all the kids in GT are "highly intelligent"---whatever that means---I think that is a highly subjective phrase and assumes we can figure this all out with a second grader. You suggest that this "high intelligence" can be tested or that teachers can figure out who should be in GT (teacher referrals). I tend to think that my son's friend was placed in it because he is pretty mature for a boy and was probably willing to work hard. My own kid got the scores, but not the teacher referrals (and I didn't try to get him in because I think the teachers probably had it right on that---he pretty much likes to do his own thing and not a ton of homework). It's interesting that at age 16 he has linked up with this friend (they are both pretty much in the same place now---although my son has not failed foreign language and is ahead in math).

My conception of the GT program is not based on this one friend. I have lived in FFX CO for 20 years and have known quite a few others in the GT program---some who scored into it and some whose parents pushed for them to get in. I think I have a pretty good concept of what it is about (I am a teacher in the system as well--for 20 years). I have no "illusions" about my kid or about "elite educations". I believe that education is about far more than what a person receives in a school setting. Sometimes what you learn outside of school is far more important, even if it doesn't look "elite". I know kids at the regular high schools (not TJ) who have gotten into top univerities in this country (including Yale, Princeton, Stanford). You don't have to go to TJ to get an "elite education" in life. If your kid wants an education, he will get it. My kid is doing fine at the base school, has lots of friends, and enjoys all of the experience so far. We are very lucky. I hope your child will get into the high school that is best for him. That's what matters.

Your statement "I hope this helps you" sort of sounds like you think I need help. I didn't want to call you Mrs. Big Shot Bitch like the other poster, but I see his point in calling you this. You need to get off your high horse and start living life beyond your ivory tower. You are pretty condescending ma'am. I'm glad I don't have to listen to you as a speaker (or maybe I have, but don't know it).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: December 31, 2010 09:48PM

Hilarious. One of our very own FCPS teachers argues with name calling much like a second grader. Funny, I know more about your kid than I should, and I don't doubt he's a good kid - you don't need to wax on, really.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: whs ()
Date: January 01, 2011 04:52AM

> You are pretty condescending ma'am. I'm glad I don't have
> to listen to you as a speaker (or maybe I have,
> but don't know it).


+1. And shut up you dumb bitch, there are plenty of parents out there with smart kids, plenty of whom are likely smarter than your child. You are not special because you are an author, you ARE condescending and hopefully when your daughter gets older she'll realize what a stupid bitch her mom is. You should just fuck off, no one wants to hear about how special you think your daughter is, no one cares.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: January 01, 2011 08:10AM

I never said I or my kid was special. I never said my kid was smart. And no one seems to care, but YOU. Double hilarious. I'm done with this thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Ed Itor ()
Date: January 01, 2011 09:25AM

Mary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Double hilarious.

Wouldn't that be "doubly" hilarious, O great author?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: testing ()
Date: January 01, 2011 09:56AM

Yet Another Parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there is a prep course that can help get into
> TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for
> admissions.


Why? All of the elite prep schools up in New York and New England that require an admission exam have plenty of companies that offer to help you "Ace the Entrance Exams!"

How to take a test is as important as what you know when you are taking a test. Most 7th and 8th graders don't have a clue what to do when they hit a snag on a test. These companies don't teach them any new knowledge or information, they show them the best ways to approach a series of problems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Yet Another Parent ()
Date: January 01, 2011 10:11AM

The fact that one can "prep" for a critical test and improve one's score in a meaningful manner (as opposed to simply improve at some noise level) screams out that the test is unfair thus the admissions process is not using the proper criteria.

If there is a prep course that can help get into TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for admissions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: exposure ()
Date: January 01, 2011 10:48AM

Yet Another Parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The fact that one can "prep" for a critical test
> and improve one's score in a meaningful manner (as
> opposed to simply improve at some noise level)
> screams out that the test is unfair thus the
> admissions process is not using the proper
> criteria.
>
> If there is a prep course that can help get into
> TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for
> admissions.

The world's just not that simple

If I practice being a fighter pilot before I sign up, I'm more likely to be accepted

If I practice carrying heavy objects, I'm more likely to get a job as a lumberjack

If I practice crosswords, I can begin to recognise patterns in a quizmaster

If I practice the behaviors of test taking, I'm likely to be better at tests

If I practice setting up companies, I'm going to get better at setting up companies

There are very few things that you can't get better at with practice - to a great extent its about understanding the 'meta' of the task - what do you do when things go wrong, what's really expected, when to abandon part etc

In particular, our brains have evolved to learn from experience, practice and model building - that's just the way our minds work. Designing tests that are not influenced by exposure is almost certainly as much of a doomed enterprise as polygraphs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: don't worry Mary---save money ()
Date: January 01, 2011 11:03AM

Yes, how many kids that should be at TJ are in the base schools then (as a result of not taking the prep course)? Maybe that's why the base schools get kids into Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc. as well. You don't have to go to TJ to get a GREAT education. Don't worry Mary. Your kid is going to be right up there in the ivory tower with you soon.

The really "wise ones" know about this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: trying to get this ()
Date: January 01, 2011 11:16AM

The world's just not that simple

If I practice being a fighter pilot before I sign up, I'm more likely to be accepted

If I practice carrying heavy objects, I'm more likely to get a job as a lumberjack

If I practice crosswords, I can begin to recognise patterns in a quizmaster

If I practice the behaviors of test taking, I'm likely to be better at tests

If I practice setting up companies, I'm going to get better at setting up companies

There are very few things that you can't get better at with practice - to a great extent its about understanding the 'meta' of the task - what do you do when things go wrong, what's really expected, when to abandon part etc

In particular, our brains have evolved to learn from experience, practice and model building - that's just the way our minds work. Designing tests that are not influenced by exposure is almost certainly as much of a doomed enterprise as polygraphs




So, what the TJ test is partially measuring is how much experience kids have taking their particular TJ test? What if they change the test design and the test prep course doesn't account for that? Tests come in many forms. Maybe the test design needs to be changed every year so that the playing field is leveled for kids who can't afford the test prep course? Or maybe kids who have had the test prep course should have to divulge that information so that the field can be leveled for that aspect. I don't think the test is equal to the above analogy because once you get into the school, you are hopefully learning completely new information (not what is on the test). If you practice being a jet fighter ahead of time, you already know how to do it and why would you then go to the school again to learn it?

Also, you bring up this point---"designing tests that are not influenced by exposure is almost certainly as much of a doomed enterprise as polygraphs". I'm not sure I quite understand this---but if we are all about tests and exposure to previous models, who is going to be creative and dream up the innovations of the future? Aren't TJ students supposed to be the innovators and creators of the future? Your quote would make sense if it were about exposure to the actual material in the test (the knowledge base), but if it is about the design, it's flawed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: exposure ()
Date: January 01, 2011 03:40PM

trying to get this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure I quite understand
> this---but if we are all about tests and exposure
> to previous models, who is going to be creative
> and dream up the innovations of the future?
> Aren't TJ students supposed to be the innovators
> and creators of the future? Your quote would make
> sense if it were about exposure to the actual
> material in the test (the knowledge base), but if
> it is about the design, it's flawed.

You can develop and nurture skills such as innovation, creation and design in the same way that you can improve skills such as math and wood working.

I'm not suggesting that you can train everyone to be a Leonardo, a Feynman or a Warhol - but i do think that you can develop and improve sets of broadly applicable skills which will aid you in a wide range of related situations. After all, that's what grad school and west point set out to do

Neither am I arguing that the sort of prep courses that are being advertised do what they say on the box - all I'm saying is that for any class of tests there will be a set of practices and exposures which will improve your performance. That's why programs like AA focus on problem solving and interpretative skills, not just on teaching more facts or math spells. Good engineering, multidisciplinary and design schools try to do the same thing. Most graduates who practice in the fields in which they trained will only use a very small proportion of the facts that they learn - but they will use the methods, approaches and disciplines to which they've been exposed.

The flip side is that if you swing your tests through too wide a space to avoid the effects of exposure, you'll end up swinging it through different performance areas and your tests will have little or no repeatability across cycles

The analogy with poly was just to point out that there's no silver bullet for looking inside someone's mind and getting a measure of their intrinsic capabilities that's independent of their experience and objectives

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: exposure ()
Date: January 01, 2011 03:49PM

don't worry Mary---save money Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, how many kids that should be at TJ are in the
> base schools then (as a result of not taking the
> prep course)? Maybe that's why the base schools
> get kids into Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc. as
> well. You don't have to go to TJ to get a GREAT
> education. Don't worry Mary. Your kid is going
> to be right up there in the ivory tower with you
> soon.
>
> The really "wise ones" know about this.

There are a lot more kids who could benefit from a more intensive science based education, That's one of the reasons that people argued for making SLHS into a TJ West during the redistricting

FCPS needs to focus more on supporting the highest achievement by students who actually get on and do the work and less on massaging the numbers by moving high performing kids around to backfill schools with performance problems

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: testing ()
Date: January 01, 2011 07:20PM

Yet Another Parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The fact that one can "prep" for a critical test
> and improve one's score in a meaningful manner (as
> opposed to simply improve at some noise level)
> screams out that the test is unfair thus the
> admissions process is not using the proper
> criteria.
>
> If there is a prep course that can help get into
> TJ, then TJ is using the wrong criteria for
> admissions.

Unfair? In the words of the Great Comedian Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School
"where should we build our factory?"

"How About Fantasyland"

There's no such thing as an unbiased test. There will always be some sort of bias, weather intentional or unintentional, and someone will figure out how to exploit that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Former TJ Parent ()
Date: January 01, 2011 10:27PM

Mary,

I recommend this prep program http://tjtestprep.com/

I would avoid any prep classes provided by the county.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: arguably... ()
Date: January 02, 2011 01:13AM

The only thing that matters is how the child looks at the class

(assuming the prep class is good. yes there are useless ones out there, but
asking around should help. "best academy" has a reputation in certain circles)

If the kid wants the class, go for it. She'll actually try. Especially if she's the one whose determined to get through. (Not the parent)

However, placing any sort of stress beyond "com'n you can do it, look at your horizons" might have negative effects, who knows, it depends on the kid.

--
I think its great that you're taking an active stance and trying to find a good prep class.

I agree that the admissions that can be prepared for are flawed, but what can you do? Please, let the world know of your bright ideas.

The prep classes provided by the county are decent but mediocre. Look for larger institutions that hold many classes, have a few branches, and try different places out. Or again, ask around. Some places just happen to have that "amazing teacher who can teach anyone, everything and are enjoyable."

All I can say is, support the path your child chooses. (Please, don't troll and be reasonable in your thoughts... "what if" (s)he kills someone or smokes or drinks, well just use your noggin then)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: NegativeDreamStealer ()
Date: January 02, 2011 09:40AM

exposure Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The world's just not that simple
>
> If I practice being a fighter pilot before I sign
> up, I'm more likely to be accepted
>
> If I practice carrying heavy objects, I'm more
> likely to get a job as a lumberjack
>
> If I practice crosswords, I can begin to recognise
> patterns in a quizmaster
>
> If I practice the behaviors of test taking, I'm
> likely to be better at tests
>
> If I practice setting up companies, I'm going to
> get better at setting up companies
>
> There are very few things that you can't get
> better at with practice - to a great extent its
> about understanding the 'meta' of the task - what
> do you do when things go wrong, what's really
> expected, when to abandon part etc

That's correct. But your examples don't represent what's really going on here.

If you're an aspiring fighter pilot, whether you have a "gift" or "talent" for it is irrelevant. Show that you can do the work, and the military will be happy to accept you.

TJ - as you probably can tell from some of the comments on this board - is considered by many to be an extension of the GT program, which is purported to be for kids who are innately more intelligent than most.

Now, we all know some people are sharper than others. The problem is, no one really knows how to quantify it. I.Q. tests were not designed for that purpose, although they are now marketed for it.

Talk to school administrators. They'll tell you that your child "can't study" for the GT qualifying exam, which BTW is the same nonsense they fed my generation about the SAT. The truth is that the administrators know that the test (along with I.Q. tests and the SAT) is simply a measure of knowledge and skills that can be acquired. They are trying to keep you from prepping your kid in order to sustain the myth that the GT program is for the gifted.

To be fair, the new "advanced academic" moniker seems to be an attempt on the part of FCPS to get away from that mischaracterization. The problem is that the qualifying test is still used as an excuse to exclude many kids who have shown they can do the work and are ready for bigger challenges. Sounds like the same may be true of TJ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Quinton G. ()
Date: January 03, 2011 01:52PM

I graduated from TJ and I'm currently a sophmore at Caltech. Even though i was a student at TJ, and enjoyed the experience. TJ is a fundamentally flawed school for so many different reasons. I even typed up a whole paper over this issue. Same with the SAT's, in this day in age, the rich can essentialy buy a good SAT score for thier children, as a result the poor get poorer and the rich get richer. Same concept applies to most students at TJ, The students go because their parents push them and put them in prep classes. They are not children of true talent. Many of the kids at TJ achieve very high grades and SAT scores, but one of the key components that they lack, that all the greats of our time have, (Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg) is creativity and imagination... what's the point of being book smart when you can't use what you've learned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: lern to spel ()
Date: January 03, 2011 01:56PM

Attn Caltech:
Please weweed wut yuo wote

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: book of job ()
Date: January 03, 2011 01:59PM

Brainiac needs to figure out that Steve Jobs is the face behind Apple. He is not the brains behind it as he might suggest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: January 03, 2011 03:48PM

OK, I thought I was done here, but just read some interesting and informative responses. While I can't speak for other potential TJ parents, I'm not pushing my child into applying to TJ; in fact, she wants to apply with the understanding that the odds are against her being accepted. I think that shows character, and I support her decision. Having said that, I do have a hunch that she wants to apply because all her friends are applying. Call it peer pressure, but there are worse cases of peer pressure - and that we can all agree on. To be honest, I had no idea there were prep courses until my daughter saw a publication on the FCPS website over the summer.

Whether TJ is the ideal school or not is subjective as is the admissions process. Every school has its flaws and TJ is no exception. What's important is that my daughter wants to apply, prepare for the exam, and come to her own conclusions. Thanks to a couple of posts and chatting with other parents, my daughter now has some prep course options.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: ... ()
Date: January 03, 2011 08:26PM

book of job Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brainiac needs to figure out that Steve Jobs is
> the face behind Apple. He is not the brains
> behind it as he might suggest.


I do acknowledge that he has very little technical acumen, however, he is not just the face. He is the reason why the company is in such a high position, he knows how to sell a product and manage a company. He comes up with the ideas that are then turned into the real product by the engineers. Back then, when he was fired by his own company by Peter Sculley, Apple started to fall apart, it was until 1997 when Steve Jobs came back and successfully reformed the company to what it is today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: oh yea ()
Date: January 03, 2011 08:41PM

The real question is- what will you do with your life AFTER tj-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: ppa ()
Date: January 03, 2011 10:29PM

... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
.
>
>
> I do acknowledge that he has very little technical
> acumen, however, he is not just the face. He is
> the reason why the company is in such a high
> position, he knows how to sell a product and
> manage a company. He comes up with the ideas that
> are then turned into the real product by the
> engineers. Back then, when he was fired by his own
> company by Peter Sculley, Apple started to fall
> apart, it was until 1997 when Steve Jobs came back
> and successfully reformed the company to what it
> is today.

You are wrong. :p

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: John16 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 06:12PM

It is not always better to go to TJ unless you are going to finish from mid to top of your class there. There a lot of TJ kids who end up going to VT or UVA, something they could have probably accomplished by going to a base school with less stress and more free time. I wouldn't have your kid take the prep course unless they really want to go to TJ. It doesn't even help that much overall on the test.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: to John16 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 06:16PM

You are a smart man. What happened to being a teenager?

PS I am now a dentist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Karen ()
Date: January 06, 2011 07:41AM

Mary,
Dalby in McClean is good. They help kids who are motivated to help themselves be better prepared.
Good luck to your daughter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: another TJ strategy ()
Date: January 06, 2011 07:51AM

If you can claim minority status of some kind it will help. Even though it's not often discussed, TJ has a quota and set asides for minorities. By the way, Asians, of course, are not considered minorities! LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Not Asian ()
Date: January 06, 2011 08:04AM

another TJ strategy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------
> ...By the way, Asians, of course, are not considered
> minorities! LOL

In fact, Asians may get discriminated AGAINST by middle school "counselors" who are trying to limit their acceptance to TJ by eliminating them from consideration right from the get-go.

Didn't take "higher" math in middle school? Tough patooties, kiddie, you're out of the running.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: January 06, 2011 08:29AM

Karen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mary,
> Dalby in McClean is good. They help kids who are
> motivated to help themselves be better prepared.
> Good luck to your daughter.


Thanks, Karen! I'll definitely look into Dalby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: January 06, 2011 08:34AM

Not Asian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> another TJ strategy Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------
> > ...By the way, Asians, of course, are not
> considered
> > minorities! LOL
>
> In fact, Asians may get discriminated AGAINST by
> middle school "counselors" who are trying to limit
> their acceptance to TJ by eliminating them from
> consideration right from the get-go.
>
> Didn't take "higher" math in middle school? Tough
> patooties, kiddie, you're out of the running.

If true, that's sad - every child should be treated equally, but I guess that's wishful thinking. Fortunately, my 7th grade child is in Algebra 1 Honors, but I've been hearing that TJ is now stressing more emphasis on the essay portion of the exam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: supersmart ()
Date: January 06, 2011 04:10PM

If your kid gets into the APP program and stays in automatic acceptence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Karen ()
Date: January 06, 2011 09:44PM

There are so many completely false things here, correct information is available if you seek it out. Many TJ related statistics are available using Google. Asians are a minority where ever they are not a majority. At TJ, they are "over represented minority" but if current trend holds, they will soon be majority.
APP program is not automatatic acceptance, that is a ridiculous statement. However, in APP students are more likely to get more peer pressure that motivates them to become better prepared candidates. If your friends have their sights set on TJ, then that is more likely where you will set your sights...and yes preparation and motivation will help, as it should.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: January 06, 2011 09:55PM

Yes, admittance to TJ is definitely a prevalent goal in the GT/AAP. Very competitive. I've heard of 7th graders taking the SAT just to put on their TJ resume!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Worthless effort ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:58AM

> ...I've heard of 7th graders taking the SAT just to put on their TJ resume!

I have to giggle at the outrageous efforts some apparently go to get their kids into certain learning institutions.

Are these people looking longer term than the next few years? What is the payoff over the long term - the lifetime of the student - that warrants the angst generated near term?

I've seen LOTS of examples (indeed, almost all my colleagues) of people who went to "standard" schools both lower and university level, and have been quite successful in their lives. None of them needed special schools to get where they are.

I mean, we're not talking some weird borderline situation where, if you do NOT go to a special school, you're guaranteed to be a failure in life. What we're talking here is, if you don't go to a special school, then you just succeed in a less-special school then move on in life as you would have anyway.

If you're a failure, of course, then a special school isn't going to help.

So what's the LONG term payoff here that isn't available by going to a "standard" school?

Are you SURE about that? Or, as I strongly suspect, you're literally looking no further than entry into college (maybe a special college) with no real idea of what the ultimate payoff is beyond bragging rights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: January 07, 2011 08:44AM

It's outrageous to me, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their own goals and aspirations. Many of my neighbors send their kids to private school with a price tag of $20,000+ a year AND that's for preschool! $700 for a TJ prep course doesn't sound so expensive anymore.:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Kate Dalby ()
Date: February 08, 2011 02:06AM

Here is my perspective as a test prep instructor.

I just got done preparing 70 classroom students for the TJ test and essays. 42 of the students had initial diagnostic test scores that were below the cut off of 65. Of those 42, 18 made the first cut. Of those 18 I suspect about nine have what it takes to succeed at TJ.

There are a lot of reasons why a student might not score well on the TJ test without preparation. Some of the reasons I have observed are:
1. The obvious, not bright enough.
2. Not motivated to go to TJ but parents are pushing.
3. Bright but nervous.
4. Bright but not at all savvy about how to take a test such as the TJ test.
5. Bright but ill-prepared by school to do math without a calculator.


There really isn't much you can do with 1 and 2. Nevertheless the kids I have usually improve so I don't feel I've wasted their time. Timed, standardized tests are in their future.

There is a lot you can do with 3, 4, and 5. Nervousness usually is due to lack of familiarity, instruction and practice testing takes care of 4 and 5.

I've helped many kids over the years that would not have made the cut without preparation and they have done fine at TJ. TJ isn't the end all be all but it is a decent, free educational option.

Regarding the students who don't need preparation: my son who went to TJ (the only one of my four who did), prepared from the time he was four. How? In the car we would do mental math for fun. At night in kindergarten he would count up the receipts from our store (different business). When my parents took him on trips he had to figure out the tip at the restaurants. He studied algebra at home in 4th grade because Fairfax held him back (contrast this with my daughter who barely finished algebra 2 before college). At Longfellow he was on the math counts team and competed across the state. He never took a "prep" course but don't think for one minute he didn't do preparation, especially with Vern Williams' Math Counts coaching. (I can't say enough good things about Vern - my son says he was better than any math teacher he had at TJ).

What makes me sad is that there are a lot of kids, maybe not the "best" intellectually who would love to go to a science and tech school and there simply isn't any other option than TJ in this county. It really is a shame because there is a real demand for middle level tech workers and Fairfax County seems to be addressing this need in a limited manner.

I suppose I am saying a prep course probably isn't going to help an unqualified student get into TJ. I do worry that the admissions process is keeping out a few talented kids- outliers. Last year I had a very bright, very immature student who didn't make the second cut probably because he is so bored in school that he acts out. He would possibly thrive at TJ. This year I had two oddballs, one got an 80 on the test but her gpa disqualified her. Because my classes are small and since the students write a lot of essays I know all my kids pretty well and she would have done well (shame because she would have satisfied TJ's need for minorities). A boy scored a 90 on the test but his gpa was below 3.0. I'm not sure how he would have done - just over the six months I have known him he has mature tremendously. So I guess what bugs me is the talent that is overlooked. Unless you are GT you are average. There is no in between. That is a huge waste of human resources.

An aside, most of these kids write horribly but can learn to write decently with some input. Because they learned to write at a test prep center does that mean it isn't valid?

Hope this adds something useful to the conversation. Excuse any typos; it's late and I'm cross-eyed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: justAmom ()
Date: February 08, 2011 08:22AM

Kate Dalby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What makes me sad is that there are a lot of kids,
> maybe not the "best" intellectually who would love
> to go to a science and tech school and there
> simply isn't any other option than TJ in this
> county. It really is a shame because there is a
> real demand for middle level tech workers and
> Fairfax County seems to be addressing this need in
> a limited manner.
>
Check out Chantilly Academy

So I
> guess what bugs me is the talent that is
> overlooked. Unless you are GT you are average.
> There is no in between. That is a huge waste of
> human resources.
>

Middle schools have Honors classes whether they have GT centers or not.

Our local elementary school has "self contained GT" but for 6th grade, they have dropped GT and place the GT kids in an honors track.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: TJWannaBe ()
Date: February 08, 2011 08:29AM

Mary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, admittance to TJ is definitely a prevalent
> goal in the GT/AAP. Very competitive. I've heard
> of 7th graders taking the SAT just to put on their
> TJ resume!

I want my child to go to TJ because I think it will be the best social fit.

Meanwhile, she took the SAT to qualify for Johns Hopkins CTY summer program. She has heard good things about it from other kids and wants to do it. I had to register her by mail and give the CTY code. I am not sure how you register a 7th grader without a supporting institution.

However, if a 7th grader wants to take the SAT, I think that's cute. What's wrong with it? Look at how our culture reacts so negatively to academic pursuits, especially any competion. Compare it to how we respond to athelitc competition.

There is a saying that goes around on the GT forums. "What if we treated our scholars like athletes and our athletes like scholars?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Lady Who ()
Date: February 08, 2011 08:43AM

> ...Johns Hopkins CTY summer program. She has heard good things
> about it from other kids and wants to do it...

Uh huh.

What she heard was Lady GaGa went to it: http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-06/living/geek.camp.talented_1_programs-for-gifted-students-three-week-session-talented-youth?_s=PM:LIVING

Has your daughter been dressing...interesting...lately?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: giveitup ()
Date: February 08, 2011 01:14PM

justAmom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> So I
> > guess what bugs me is the talent that is
> > overlooked. Unless you are GT you are average.
>
> > There is no in between. That is a huge waste
> of
> > human resources.
> >
Please put sock in it. who cares what "bugs you." You're getting very tedious. And being in Gen. Ed. doesn't necessarily mean you're "averge" - alot are to be sure - but some of these kids do catch up with the GT'ers in high school. Being excluded from GT like your kids were isn't the end of the world.

>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Former GT student ()
Date: February 12, 2011 10:10PM

I see a lot of you are bitter about the GT program. Saying that GT students can do poorly in school ...etc
You're right about that. GT (or theyve changed the name to AAP) students can do poorly in high school. Yes they can be less intellegent than Gen ed kids. Does this have anything to do with them being GT? No.
Being in GT does not mean you are smarter than regular students. It is not made to exclude other children. Being in GT in no way means you will do well in high school. GT was made so children who learn in a different way can get a good education too. GT kids do learn faster, but they do poorly on some tests because they over-analyze things.
My point is that some of you people make all of these assumptions about GT kids and being one I can tell you a lot of these are not true. Some people consider TJ as an extention of the Gt program. Maybe this is true but I am a GT student and did go to TJ.
This all started because one woman wanted a prep class for her daughter. She was not looking for your nasty comments. If her daughter wants a prep class you do not need to be rude. Save your opinions for your blog. Going back to preschool "If you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all" She asked for a prep class, if you don't have a prep class to suggest or something that can help her, please do not say it because i doubt anyone was looking to read it.
Sorry for any typos, but its late at night. Oh and mary mytjprep.com is a good place to check out

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Parental Guidance ()
Date: February 13, 2011 08:43AM

Former GT student Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...bitter about the GT program...

My kid was in the GT (in-school) program in elementary school. I'm still trying to figure out what it accomplished; seemed to just be a general-subject "Hey! Let's talk about THIS!" period during the day to the detriment of some half-missed other subject.

So, okay, now the kid is in middle school and in honors courses right and left. And I'm scratching my head to see how the "honors" part is being applied. As far as I can see (admittedly I don't have a close view of them) the honors courses are pretty much what I would expect from ANY course. Maybe I'm mis-remembering what school was like when =I= was there.

The kid is about to get serious about classes soon - recommended by teachers for various "advanced" subjects next year; have no idea once again what the difference is going to be between them and "regular" classes and, at least with math, am scratching my head when remembering what =I= took in middle school and ask "Where's the beef?"; I don't remember ANYTHING about how I got into my advanced classes (math, biology later on) - it just seemed to happen - don't think my parents did anything at all. I suspect we parents have to push to get the kid into the "appropriate" classes, even if we're not seeing where the "GT" part takes effect.

Bitter about GT? No, just a little confused about it and why it takes an effort to possibly get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: toformerGT ()
Date: February 13, 2011 10:14AM

Parental Guidance Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Former GT student Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...bitter about the GT program...
>
> My kid was in the GT (in-school) program in
> elementary school. I'm still trying to figure out
> what it accomplished; seemed to just be a
> general-subject "Hey! Let's talk about THIS!"
> period during the day to the detriment of some
> half-missed other subject.
>
> So, okay, now the kid is in middle school and in
> honors courses right and left. And I'm scratching
> my head to see how the "honors" part is being
> applied. As far as I can see (admittedly I don't
> have a close view of them) the honors courses are
> pretty much what I would expect from ANY course.
> Maybe I'm mis-remembering what school was like
> when =I= was there.
>
> The kid is about to get serious about classes soon
> - recommended by teachers for various "advanced"
> subjects next year; have no idea once again what
> the difference is going to be between them and
> "regular" classes and, at least with math, am
> scratching my head when remembering what =I= took
> in middle school and ask "Where's the beef?"; I
> don't remember ANYTHING about how I got into my
> advanced classes (math, biology later on) - it
> just seemed to happen - don't think my parents did
> anything at all. I suspect we parents have to push
> to get the kid into the "appropriate" classes,
> even if we're not seeing where the "GT" part takes
> effect.
>
> Bitter about GT? No, just a little confused about
> it and why it takes an effort to possibly get it.

this is funny, as I have the same view of my kid's GT experience. First of all, half the kids in there are nowhere near "GT", so how they got in is a mystery. But from the stuff coming home, it seems way to easy to be considered "advanced." And the grading seems awfully easy. I find it funny when I hear parents say my kid is "doing well" in GT. Well who the $#%^ isn't? It aint that hard. Just a different world from when we were kids I guess. Everyone is above average these and you don't want to dampen their self-esteem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: my experience ()
Date: February 13, 2011 10:20AM

I agree with you 100% about the GT base school program in elementary school. I thought it was a waste---the topics were not connected to the curriculum and my son complained about missing class time constantly. I tried to pull him out of GT a few times, but the GT teacher pushed back by saying that it was very worthwhile. I also thought that he might not get into honors classes in MS and nobody set me straight on how that worked (so I had no clue that he could get in without that ES program). I was also misled on the math part of the whole deal---could not get any answers to my questions. Now that he is in HS I have some perspective on the whole thing. My feeling is that the ES pull out GT was useless and has made no difference in his long range education. His classroom instruction was good and he needed that continuity in ES. I think that they should stop the GT pull out in ES---especially now that PE is being mandated for longer periods of time. That program is there just to make people feel better about their kid not getting into the GT center program. Political only. My kid is fine now---scoring high on the standardized tests that count---and it was not worth the pain in ES. ES should be a happy experience for kids. Of course the GT teacher kept telling me that it was all fun in there (and my kid was saying the opposite). I think she needed the numbers to keep her job.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Parental Guidance ()
Date: February 13, 2011 10:28AM

> ...I was also misled on the math part of the whole deal...

Lol!

Yeah, the math bit was totally strange for us - my kid's 6th grade teacher recommended math honors in some official manner so we naively assumed that was that.

Wrong.

The kid got into science honors, not recommended by the main teacher, but not math honors. I have NO IDEA where we as parents goofed up on that one.

In any case, NEXT year the kid has been recommended for SOMETHING-advanced math. I do not know what the options are (as of this moment) but it might be something like 8th grade math, 8th grade math honors, Algebra, Algebra honors. Or something.

You can bet I'll be paying MUCH closer attention this time around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: my experience ()
Date: February 13, 2011 11:07AM

That is funny! I think they probably had extra seats in the Science honors, but not in Math honors and that's why your kid got those classes! The way the class sizes are now, it is getting really hard to schedule in the schools. I would take a better look this time around and try to get your kid into the proper class. Pretty soon he will be telling you which class he wants (that's how it is in high school). They tried to pull a switcheroo on my kid last year, but I stuck to my guns and he got in the class he wanted. Only problem is that the class he got into has 33 students and not enough desks. Now I know why they wanted to keep him in the standard section. !! If they keep adding to class size, it's going to get harder and harder for the schools to give kids the classes that they want. Parents will be very unhappy too. I believe that class size is the much more important determinant in the success of the student (standard and honors designations are overrated). Just my opinion. If they could guarantee that my kid would be in a class of no more than 20 standard kids as opposed to 33 honors kids, I would choose standard hands down. I think all the teachers would be begging to teach standard as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: February 15, 2011 09:49PM

TJWannaBe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mary Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes, admittance to TJ is definitely a prevalent
> > goal in the GT/AAP. Very competitive. I've
> heard
> > of 7th graders taking the SAT just to put on
> their
> > TJ resume!
>
> I want my child to go to TJ because I think it
> will be the best social fit.
>
> Meanwhile, she took the SAT to qualify for Johns
> Hopkins CTY summer program. She has heard good
> things about it from other kids and wants to do
> it. I had to register her by mail and give the
> CTY code. I am not sure how you register a 7th
> grader without a supporting institution.
>
> However, if a 7th grader wants to take the SAT, I
> think that's cute. What's wrong with it? Look at
> how our culture reacts so negatively to academic
> pursuits, especially any competion. Compare it to
> how we respond to athelitc competition.
>
> There is a saying that goes around on the GT
> forums. "What if we treated our scholars like
> athletes and our athletes like scholars?"


Well put. If the child wants to take the SAT test in 7th grade, I applaud them. Unfortunately, that is not the case with most of my child's friends.:-(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Mary ()
Date: February 15, 2011 09:54PM

Former GT student Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see a lot of you are bitter about the GT
> program. Saying that GT students can do poorly in
> school ...etc
> You're right about that. GT (or theyve changed the
> name to AAP) students can do poorly in high
> school. Yes they can be less intellegent than Gen
> ed kids. Does this have anything to do with them
> being GT? No.
> Being in GT does not mean you are smarter than
> regular students. It is not made to exclude other
> children. Being in GT in no way means you will do
> well in high school. GT was made so children who
> learn in a different way can get a good education
> too. GT kids do learn faster, but they do poorly
> on some tests because they over-analyze things.
> My point is that some of you people make all of
> these assumptions about GT kids and being one I
> can tell you a lot of these are not true. Some
> people consider TJ as an extention of the Gt
> program. Maybe this is true but I am a GT student
> and did go to TJ.
> This all started because one woman wanted a prep
> class for her daughter. She was not looking for
> your nasty comments. If her daughter wants a prep
> class you do not need to be rude. Save your
> opinions for your blog. Going back to preschool
> "If you dont have anything nice to say dont say it
> at all" She asked for a prep class, if you don't
> have a prep class to suggest or something that can
> help her, please do not say it because i doubt
> anyone was looking to read it.
> Sorry for any typos, but its late at night. Oh and
> mary mytjprep.com is a good place to check out

After a month long hiatus, I'm glad I decided to long back on... otherwise, I would've missed your thoughtful response. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: random ()
Date: October 03, 2011 07:30PM

Why are people fighting over this ? I dont get it? Im trying out for Tj this year and lots of people are taking prep classes. Just saying TJ process has changed over the years. Before it was not as popular as before, until it became the number one school. Why fight about it ? If u cant help to find a prep class get out of the fourm, instead of arguing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:50PM

Nerds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So many kids from TJ do not do well after high
> school. When they see they are not #1 when they
> get to college and they really need to learn in a
> big classroom. They then have to compete with
> others from across the US.

I don't understand how this argument applies TJ more than the base school which they might have otherwise attended.

Are all 400+ TJ kids #1 in their class??

Aren't they more likely to be a big fish in a small pond / top of their class at the base school and have more trouble adapting in college to being middle of the pack and having tougher coursework?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:55PM

Also, I'm in the camp that thinks people shouldn't take prep courses for TJ. Yes, I understand the arguments that say it would give an advantage, but if you need those to have a shot at getting in, then what's the point?

TJ is a great place if you're comfortable there on your own, and have the ability to succeed without some test prep to get you in the door. It's more than just a stepping stone to future success; in fact it in no way guarantees such a thing.

Great students make TJ what it is.... TJ doesn't magically make students great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Go for it ()
Date: October 05, 2011 07:09AM

snowdenscold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, I'm in the camp that thinks people shouldn't
> take prep courses for TJ. Yes, I understand the
> arguments that say it would give an advantage, but
> if you need those to have a shot at getting in,
> then what's the point?
>
> TJ is a great place if you're comfortable there on
> your own, and have the ability to succeed without
> some test prep to get you in the door. It's more
> than just a stepping stone to future success; in
> fact it in no way guarantees such a thing.
>
> Great students make TJ what it is.... TJ doesn't
> magically make students great.


There are so many bright children out there and the truth is, a good portion of those 'great students' at TJ took some kind of prep course, whether it was in the classroom or online. Bright children excel because of their desire to learn and their good study habits. Even TJ encourages preparing for the test. Look on their website - they have a resource link with tips for taking the test. In fact, the entire 2010-11 test is posted for potential applicants to take (with answers). Great students practice and prepare.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: October 05, 2011 09:52AM

Go for it Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bright
> children excel because of their desire to learn
> and their good study habits.

This I agree with.

> Even TJ encourages
> preparing for the test. Look on their website -
> they have a resource link with tips for taking the
> test.

Has this changed recently? I don't always recall it being so - I certainly have no memory of people practicing or prepping in middle school.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Go for it ()
Date: October 05, 2011 10:50AM

Yes, check out their website under Admissions/Resources. The entire test is there to practice. Of course, they don't encourage private prep test classes and I don't know if there's any affiliation with the FCPS summer TJ Prep, but they do encourage studying their own online guide. It's free and I must say it looks pretty impressive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: here ()
Date: October 05, 2011 01:12PM

FCPS also offers TJ prep classes under their community education program. Here's the catalog: http://www.fcps.edu/DIS/OACE/documents/ACE_Classes_201103_web.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Johnny Mc. ()
Date: July 16, 2012 04:27PM

There is a really comprehensive book from Aristotle Circle; it's the only book that I was able to find that was geared towards the TJ test specifically and includes Scrambled Paragraphs and Logic sections. Other books I looked at didn’t include an answer guide like this one either. I’d definitely recommend it: http://store.aristotlecircle.com/thjeadteprwo.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: TJ Student ()
Date: November 12, 2012 07:51PM

Honestly, most kids who get into TJ took TJ Prep. It's not that the scores aren't acceptable, they just want to improve to get a perfect score.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: 7th grader ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:22PM

my sister took the prep and got in and now im gonna take the prep i dont know what is wrong with taking a course that helps you get into a better high school

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: tjstudent ()
Date: January 28, 2013 06:10PM

if you only get in because you took the course, and not because you're the kind of person who can do well at tj, you won't enjoy it there. although there are plenty of people who take tj prep, get into tj and do fine, those people who were selected without detailed prior knowledge of the admissions process as tj intended are more likely to survive

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: FYI... ()
Date: January 28, 2013 07:10PM

tjstudent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you only get in because you took the course,
> and not because you're the kind of person who can
> do well at tj, you won't enjoy it there. although
> there are plenty of people who take tj prep, get
> into tj and do fine, those people who were
> selected without detailed prior knowledge of the
> admissions process as tj intended are more likely
> to survive


The course only helps prep for the test, which quite frankly 50% of all applicants pass. There are applicants who aced the test who didn't get into TJ as it only accounts for 1/5 of the application process.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: Yes ()
Date: January 28, 2013 07:14PM

snowdenscold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go for it Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bright
> > children excel because of their desire to learn
> > and their good study habits.
>
> This I agree with.
>
> > Even TJ encourages
> > preparing for the test. Look on their website -
> > they have a resource link with tips for taking
> the
> > test.
>
> Has this changed recently? I don't always recall
> it being so - I certainly have no memory of people
> practicing or prepping in middle school.


Go on the TJ website - you can take prep practice tests directly from their own site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ Prep Course
Posted by: TJ Grad Parent ()
Date: March 06, 2013 08:38AM

Have any of you heard the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it"? Mary asked a question. If you have answers to her question, give her that info. If not, keep your mouth shut. It's not your business to tell other parents how to educate their children. Stop trying to impose your ideal onto others. There're too much of you self-righteous people out there. So shut up!

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
MGU99
This forum powered by Phorum.