HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
County Decals?
Posted by: Betty ()
Date: September 19, 2007 07:54PM

I received two tickets at the Metro parking lot today. One was for violating the 'not before 10 am' parking rule. I normally don't do that, but I had a doctor's appointment and I had no choice. Either that or drive in to DC. Anyway, I also got a ticket for INVALID/NO COUNTY DECAL. Mine says 2006, but my partner said that you no longer have to have a decal. I'm having a hard time finding the code violation on the internet. It's section 82-12-13. If it's on my window, but not supposed to be there, why do I get a ticket. It's invalid, but there are no new decals issued after 2006. I pay the darn taxes! And, the ticket is $40! Plus the parking ticket (also $40). Oh joy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: County Decals?
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:40PM

Should you erroneously receive a decal citation from another jurisdiction, please call the number on the citation for that jurisdiction.
If you still need assistance, please feel free to contact the Fairfax County DTA at 703-222-8234 or by e-mail (www.
fairfaxcounty.gov/dta). InformaciĆ³n importante! Si tiene preguntas relacionadas con los impuestos de su vehiculo,
llamenos al telefono 703-324-3855.

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:44PM

Fairfax County no longer requires the County decal.

I wondered if the Metro police have the authority to ticket county violations.
Obviously, the person who issued the ticket was not aware that the decal is not required.

I hope that you don't have to go into the District on this matter. Many horror stories of people that have to deal with DC traffic and Metro officials.

Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: September 20, 2007 08:47AM

Betty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but my partner said that you no longer have
> to have a decal.

Is partner code for something, or are you a lawyer? Just seems like an odd way to explain something to me.

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: September 20, 2007 09:31AM

The problem arose because you have an expired sticker on your car. Take it off. Contest the ticket.

Posted by: Julio ()
Date: September 20, 2007 09:52AM

> Is partner code for something, or are you a
> lawyer? Just seems like an odd way to explain
> something to me.

'Partner' - either a cop or gay. Being what the subject is, i'm guessing it aint no cop.

Posted by: partner ()
Date: September 20, 2007 12:41PM

yeah the original poster may be gay, but that doesn't take away from the good heads-up on this. I have an old green county sticker on one car I never bothered to take off. Now I know I need to because some dickweed cop is writing stupid tickets over that. The spirit of the charge is that an expired sticker is sitting where a current sticker should be. But to write someone a ticket for leaving the old sticker on there is just dumb, no wonder people hate the cops.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 20, 2007 12:52PM

Julio Wrote:
> > Is partner code for something, or are you a
> > lawyer? Just seems like an odd way to explain
> > something to me.
>
> 'Partner' - either a cop or gay. Being what the
> subject is, i'm guessing it aint no cop.

Maybe it's partner in crime.

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: September 20, 2007 02:21PM

I left mine on so cops outside our jurisdiction would see my car is from decal-free Fairfax County. Sounds like it's better just to remove it.

Posted by: Julio ()
Date: September 20, 2007 03:12PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> Maybe it's partner in crime.

a very good point. I will need to add this to my list of 'partners'.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: September 20, 2007 06:06PM

I've heard certain places (like Bull Run park) charge you $$$ for parking unless you still have your county decal on proving you have paid taxes and are entitled to county services for free.

Not positive of the validity of this, but one reason to leave the county decal on.

Date: September 20, 2007 09:00PM

Cary Wrote:

> Not positive of the validity of this, but one
> reason to leave the county decal on.

I got my car inspected last month and they took my 2006 sticker off (!). I notice most people don't have them anymore anyway, but I go to Richmond frequently and I don't want to give Hen(Third)rico county a reason to stop me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2007 09:00PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: Remove It ()
Date: September 20, 2007 09:12PM

Fairfax County is the state's largest jurisdiction and undoubtedly has the most vehicles registered to it. Because of college students and frequent travel, almost every jurisdiction in VA is aware that FFX has no sticker. I would not worry in Henrico County. If you are that worried, simply write "registered in Fairfax" on a piece of paper and toss it in the dash. An expired sticker from any jurisdiction is reason enough to stop you.

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: September 20, 2007 09:58PM

As Cary said, I kept mine on my car for when I go to Burke Lake. If you don't have one, they can look at your driver's license, but with the old green sticker you just get waved through. I have an expired PW county one on my motorcycle though, which I guess I'll probably remove after reading this.

Posted by: JoeM ()
Date: October 03, 2007 10:47AM

This is an old thread, but interesting. I still have my old green sticker on my car. I kept in on incase I travelled, I didn't want to get pulled over in another county for not having a sticker.

Is it better to keep it on like to get into Burke Lake and Bull Run, or should I remove it?

And why did only Fairfax County do this and not the entire state?

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: October 03, 2007 12:35PM

Is it better to keep it on like to get into Burke Lake and Bull Run, or should I remove it?
Probably.

Because we gangsta (yo)....

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: October 03, 2007 12:58PM

I'm pretty sure VA Beach did it first and didn't have a significant drop in tax collections so Fairfax figured 'why not.'

I personally think it was an easy way for Connolly to try and get some positive PR when it came to taxes, in the face of consistently (at the time) rising county taxes.

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: October 03, 2007 01:10PM

Counties and some cities in the Commonwealth sponsor their own inspection/emissions programs under purview of DMV and state police. It is redundant and expensive to display a Fairfax County decal. There is no requirement to do so. If you move to another county you may or may not have to have a decal (some cities require a decal, also). If you use the parks or recreation facilities, your driver's license should show your entitlement to use.

Another surprise: if you garage your car in a different county, it is very likely that your automobile insurance rates AND the personal property tax fees will be less! Yes, it is more expensive to live in Fairfax County--and then we so have superior public services and facilities here.

Date: October 03, 2007 06:29PM

I understand they did it to save money, which makes sense, but still, is it better to leave an expired County Sticker on, or Remove it?

Thanks,
Joe

Date: October 03, 2007 06:54PM

what do you mean is it better?

its either dont have one, or have an expired one... whether or not the tickets legit - can't you get one for either or?

there is no better IMO

Date: October 03, 2007 07:04PM

bdimag Wrote:
> what do you mean is it better?
>
> its either dont have one, or have an expired
> one... whether or not the tickets legit - can't
> you get one for either or?
>
> there is no better IMO

Excellent Point!

I think I'll call the county or DMV and ask this. I can jsut imagine their response. "Huh? What?"

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: October 03, 2007 07:06PM

JoeM Wrote:
>
> And why did only Fairfax County do this and not
> the entire state?

Fauquier got rid of them this year.

Date: October 03, 2007 07:13PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
> JoeM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > And why did only Fairfax County do this and not
> > the entire state?
>
> Fauquier got rid of them this year.

Good to know, maybe the entire state will do so.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: October 03, 2007 08:15PM

Once upon a time, the purpose of County stickers (I remember County PLATES!) was to force payment of the personal propery tax. If you didn't pay the tax....you couldn't buy the sticker....and then the po-po would be after you.

There are now more efficient ways to induce payment of the tax....most notably, holding up renewal of your State tags. They have other tricks...such as deducting the tax from a County employee's paycheck...and holding up professional licenses, etc.

I doubt the $25 sticker fee even supported the huge bureaucracy it took to sell and enforce the damn things.

I scraped mine off...just seemed like the thing to do.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: October 03, 2007 08:20PM

leave it on. Then your car looks like its from out of county if everybody else gets rid of theirs.

@ JoeM: record the phone conversation so when you take it to court youll have a good defense. (or at least embarrass the DMV)

Date: October 05, 2007 06:37PM

Truckin,

Excellent idea to record the call. Props to you.

JoeM

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 06, 2007 12:19AM

it is illegal to record a phone conversation without informing the person on the other end that you are (or might be) recording it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: October 06, 2007 12:31PM

just be like "this phone call may be recorded for quality assurance"

Date: October 06, 2007 01:25PM

Gravis Wrote:
> it is illegal to record a phone conversation
> without informing the person on the other end that
> you are (or might be) recording it.

I was under the impression that VA Code 19.2-62 (2) specifically exempts a party to the conversation from being restricted from recording it.

"2. It shall not be a criminal offense under this chapter for a person to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception."

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-62

oh and this only applies if both parties are in Virginia I suppose.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2007 01:26PM by trogdor!.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.