HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can I ask your opinion? What would you do?
Posted by: Moose ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:26AM

Mine & my neighbors driveway is separated by a little strip of grass that runs along the top to the bottom of both driveways.
Neighbor parks a pickup truck at the beginning of their driveway, blocking in a car at the top of their driveway. When leaving, instead of moving the pickup truck to make their exit in their car, they continuously drive across the grassy strip and down OUR driveway. When returning, they drive up OUR driveway, cut across and then park in their driveway.

This has not been a one or two time occurrence, it's constant. We have gone so far as to park our car down at the beginning of our driveway so they cannot exit out our drive. Resulting in a note on our car from them apologizing for doing this, "they'll never do it again". Then as well, them at our front door apologizing for "the inconvenience, they'll never do it again", but they continue to. We're now getting very mad. What would you do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I ask your opinion? What would you do?
Posted by: Guest ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:39AM

I had a friend with a similar situation. He simply placed a large decorative rock on the strip of grass large enough to keep cars from driving over it. He just found the rock at a construction site and four of us moved it over.

Posted by: Duhfdf ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:41AM

Just put topsoil there when the spring comes and plant some flowers and maybe add small shrubs to create a mini green wall... if you will...

If it gets really bad, just slash their tires.

Posted by: Some Dude ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:45AM

Did you keep the note? Maybe you could highlight it for them to remind them that they did state that they would never do it again.

Something isn't clear; why would they show up at your front door to apologize if you park your car at the end of your own driveway? Seems like very odd behavior for people that don't have much courtesy.

How wide is this strip in between your driveways?

Posted by: mike ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:47AM

Have you gone over there and told them that you do not want them doing it?

Posted by: Frikkin Neighbor ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:52AM

A couple of stakes in the ground and they will get the message that this is not a right of way, very aggressive, but it would work and send a message about how mad you are about this.

The greenery approach works as well, depends upon how you want to go about solving the problem. Passive-Aggressive or just Aggressive.

What kind of people do this? What kind of cars do they drive?

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: December 27, 2010 11:02AM

Why not keep the car parked at the end of the driveway if that fixed the problem?

Date: December 27, 2010 11:09AM

Did you keep the note?
Yes, I still have the note.

Something isn't clear; why would they show up at your front door to apologize if you park your car at the end of your own driveway? Seems like very odd behavior for people that don't have much courtesy.
Exactly what we thought and how we felt.

How wide is this strip in between your driveways?
Length of driveways: I can park 5 maybe 6 cars behind each other from the top of my drive to the bottom.
The grassy strip runs the length of the driveways with a width of 1 1/2 feet.

Have you gone over there and told them that you do not want them doing it?
We have told them that we'd appreciate if this is not done, to no avail, they just ignore. Trying to converse with them is not easy. They are big time screamers and arguers.

Date: December 27, 2010 11:22AM

What kind of people do this? What kind of cars do they drive?
Yeah, I seem to recall being taught that you don't do this. They have one very small car and one huge pick up truck.

Why not keep the car parked at the end of the driveway if that fixed the problem?
Welp, I suppose I'm going to be going back to that.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: December 27, 2010 11:25AM

Sounds very frustrating. I would either park my car at the bottom of the driveway, or start planting bushes in the grass strip, or a fence.

Date: December 27, 2010 11:27AM

Are you in a community association? If so, file a complaint with them. If not, install something decorative (and metal) that is a foot or two high or even fencing of some sort along your side of the property line next to the driveway, fence it off.

I have seen people put a gate at the end of their driveway to avoid stuff like this, I see a house on Braddock that has a driveway going past another house that I'm sure people parked on to get to the house it is passing, blocking the drive for the house it actually belongs to. If you buy a little gate with a remote opener that may solve the problem but I think keeping a car of your own down at the end is probably the cheapest solution.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: December 27, 2010 11:46AM

Moose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neighbor parks a pickup truck at the beginning of
> their driveway, blocking in a car at the top of
> their driveway.

Typical pick-up truck drivers. They wouldn't know courtesy if you shoved it up their ass.

Continue parking at the beginning of your driveway.

Posted by: 2nd Amendment ()
Date: December 27, 2010 11:54AM

Exercise your right to open-carry and make sure they see you hanging around your driveway with a sidearm. Next time they tresspass on your private property make sure they notice your gun and then give them a good old fashioned staredown. I guarantee they'll be shittin'.

Date: December 27, 2010 11:57AM

Thanks everyone. This has been and is very frustrating. I am not one to mince words, but to somewhat keep peace as best as possible and not come to blows with these people, I was actually grasping at straws I suppose and really appreciate your input. Unfortunately, there is no community association. We have indeed planted bushes in the past and they just got destroyed. So good idea, I will definitely be putting up a fence come spring.

Date: December 27, 2010 12:02PM

2nd Amendment wrote:
Exercise your right to open-carry and make sure they see you hanging around your driveway with a sidearm. Next time they tresspass on your private property make sure they notice your gun and then give them a good old fashioned staredown. I guarantee they'll be shittin'.

Laugh My A** Off!!

And yeah, my car is at the beginning of the driveway agaaaain. Damn it.

Date: December 27, 2010 01:01PM

Moose Wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no community
> association.

Actually I meant that more for your ability to put up some fencing... a community association's rules would likely not allow it.But you'll need to be careful that any fencing is inside your property line, which may or may not be down the middle of the grass strip.

Date: December 27, 2010 01:21PM

justsayin wrote:
------------------------------------------
Actually I meant that more for your ability to put up some fencing... a community association's rules would likely not allow it.But you'll need to be careful that any fencing is inside your property line, which may or may not be down the middle of the grass strip.

Thank you. I'll make sure to get to the courthouse before digging, to find the exact property line.

Posted by: Geezy Louizey ()
Date: December 27, 2010 04:48PM

Nice neighbors. You can always put up a couple of small rods and link a chain to it. Cheap and easy.

Pisses me off hearing that someone would do that to a neighbor repeatedly, where's the common courtesy for a neighbor? A neighbor! You got to live around these people and that's how you act? Animals, treat them that way, some people don't have good sense.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: December 27, 2010 05:34PM

I know it's been written before, but during the winter, I'd park my car in such a manner as they'd be forced to use their driveway and then come spring, I'd find the property line and plant some flowers or shrubs up the length of your driveway.

Fuck people like that.

And if that doesn't work - get a core tool and when they aren't home, pull out small plugs (about 2" deep) of soil every two inches. Put a 4' screw into each plug and pack dirt around it. Paint the screws green and see what happens.

Posted by: Just ask the rednecks to stop! ()
Date: December 27, 2010 05:44PM

Buy a bottle of Jack as a gift and ask them to please stop. Do they have teens? You can tell them a million times and they still act like shit. Be nice and work it out. No use in coming home to your castle to be mad at stupid stuff.

Life is way to short to be angry everyday!

Good luck to you.

Posted by: say ()
Date: December 27, 2010 05:58PM

spike strip

Date: December 27, 2010 05:59PM

It makes me feel better when reading your posts and has calmed me down. I have many times had to contain my temper with these people and have felt as if I was losing my mind. There is no common courtesy with these people. I truly believe they have no idea what it means. There's been so many happenings of strange things in the past 2 years, it's just a head shaker.

My car is now not parked pointing up into my drive, but at the beginning and across it. There will be no going out or in my drive by any other, but me!

Date: December 27, 2010 06:02PM

Nope no teens. It's actually a mother with a 48 year old unemployed son. Meaning -- not that he was laid off or anything, he just doesn't work, period

Date: December 27, 2010 06:08PM

Rednecks ?
Sounds like a family of NIGGERS to me !

Date: December 27, 2010 06:18PM

Umm, not rednecks

Posted by: Josey Wales ()
Date: December 27, 2010 06:28PM

I may have missed it but who owns the land the grassy strip is on? If was mine I would only tell them once to stop driving on my property. I do like the idea of one of those big decorative rocks.

The people sound like trash, unemployed at 48 and living at home. That is all I would need to know to form my opinion. Let them get mad, fuck them, you really dont want to associate with that trash anyway so no loss.

Posted by: Let us come up with a creative solution? ()
Date: December 27, 2010 06:36PM

The "real rock/boulder" idea sounds good but pricey. Who does own that strip of land? Get your plat and you can look it up.

I hope we can help you come up with a plan. Cheers!

Date: December 27, 2010 06:42PM

Josey Wales wrote:
--------------------------------------
I may have missed it but who owns the land the grassy strip is on?

Well ya know, until now I've never had a reason to even wonder about it. It's smack dab in the middle of both properties / between - separating, both driveways. I had always assumed that half of that grass strip was ours and the other half, the other owners. I'm definitely going to find out now...

Posted by: Josey Wales ()
Date: December 27, 2010 06:42PM

Depends on how big you want the rocks to be. They only have to be large enough to take out his oil pan. If the guy puts up a fence they will just run over it. Talking obviously hasnt worked.

Date: December 27, 2010 07:17PM

My first course of action will be to find out if that strip is shared or owned by just one of us. I'm just now starting to think that juuust maybe, it might solely be mine.

Last year, I put up a beautiful wood privacy fence in my back yard. The lovely (being sarcastic) neighbors threw a fit while I was taking up the old fence, stating that it was theirs. Off to the courthouse I went and found that it was indeed my fence and was told that I could move it, if replaced by another fence dividing the yards. When I told them that and showed them the papers, they shut up. Too bad I didn't find out then about that darn grassy strip. I'll find out this week. Never-the-less, they shouldn't be drivin' in my damn driveway like it's theirs.

Thanks everyone, a lot of good ideas.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 27, 2010 07:23PM

Why does it matter if they do this? Surely it must be convenient for them. Does it damage your driveway? Who gives a shit about a little strip of grass?

Why not just use their driveway to access yours, in the same manner they use yours. This way, you avoid angering your neighbor as you would if you put up a fence or other object.

Posted by: Try this... ()
Date: December 27, 2010 07:39PM

Let us say the grass belongs to them. You cannot do a thing but live with it or move. I say "move on". Learn to see past it. Are they drug dealers? No. Are they convicts? No. Have they tried to kill you? No.

New year, new thinking. It does not seem to bother them but you? Can you see past that one strip of grass? Yes, you can. You cannot change them but you can change yourself and how you think. If this is the only thing in your life that you hate you are lucky.

Posted by: Why? Wanna stalk me>? ()
Date: December 27, 2010 07:43PM

Get creative, park your cars on the street and lay out spike strips along your driveway, preferably remote control. That should get the point across and make an awesome youtube video.

Date: December 27, 2010 07:55PM

KeepOnTruckin wrote:
-------------------------------------
Why does it matter if they do this? Surely it must be convenient for them. Does it damage your driveway? Who gives a shit about a little strip of grass?

Why not just use their driveway to access yours, in the same manner they use yours. This way, you avoid angering your neighbor as you would if you put up a fence or other object.
-------------------------------------

It matters because, one is suppose to use common courtesy toward anothers property and not use anothers property as if it were their own.

Does it damage MY driveway? Exactly that, it's MY driveway, not theirs. They have their own driveway they should be using.

Who gives a shit about a little strip of grass?
It was once a lush green patch of grass, that is now nothing but mud with tire tracks all through it.

Why not just use their driveway to access yours, in the same manner they use yours.
Because I have my own damn driveway, I don't need to use another's, nor should I.

Date: December 27, 2010 08:04PM

No one said anything about drug dealing or being a convict, but since that was brought up ... one of them is/was a convicted felon. I just want them to stop using my driveway day after day, they have their own. They need to get their lazy asses up and move that truck, so they can then move their car up and down their own driveway. Period.

Date: December 27, 2010 08:55PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Why does it matter if they do this? Surely it must
> be convenient for them. Does it damage your
> driveway?

"what does it matter" has nothing to do with the right of a property owner to be able to control access to his/her property. Would it be okay for the neighbor to set out a lawn chair and have beers on the driveway too? Being on someone else's property with no permission (and in this case explicitly against the wishes of the property owner) is wrong, enough so that it has name and you can look up "trespassing."

What if the neighbor drove a heavy vehicle over a weak spot in the driveway and cracked it? Who is paying the real estate tax on the land the driveway is sitting on? Maybe you like paying and taking the time to reseed or resod when other people destroy your lawn, but if that grass strip belongs to the poster then that is destruction of property when the grass is driven over.

The neighbor clearly knows he/she is in the wrong, otherwise they would have seen no need to apologize for it. But "what harm does it do?" has nothing to do with property rights. Your stating that position leads me to suspect you are a renter (or maybe live with parents), but if and when you own your own property you'll run into these issues and understand.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 08:56PM by justsayin.

Date: December 27, 2010 09:12PM

:-) @ justsayin, thanks

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.