HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Deputy Sheriff
Posted by: Question ()
Date: September 14, 2007 02:31PM

Has anyone seen the deputy doing traffic enforcement in the bailey's crossroads area early in the morning. Hes usually in the leesburg pike area around carlin springs road. I didnt think they did traffic enforcemnt. Can they do this? Has anyone ever been stopped by this guy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deputy Sheriff
Posted by: They Can ()
Date: September 14, 2007 02:34PM

They can do this and do this quite regularly. It is one of the areas where the Sheriff's office and FCPD have concurrent jurisdiction. It is usually done with consent and coordination with the PD.

Posted by: deputydawg ()
Date: September 14, 2007 03:32PM

Actually the Deputy Sheriff's in Fairfax County maintain full criminal and civil jurisdiction in Fairfax county, with the authority to conduct a traffic stop, direct traffic, work vechicle crashes, serve civil process, and even arrest you. In fact they have more power than the police department. Remember, the state constitution requires a Sheriff's Office, the FCPD is optional.

Posted by: cit ()
Date: September 14, 2007 04:32PM

better question...why does anyone care

Posted by: Dr Z ()
Date: September 14, 2007 05:54PM

They have authority throughout the state of Virginia. They are actually state employees.

Posted by: omgwft ()
Date: September 14, 2007 07:49PM

A Sheriff's deputy DOES NOT have authority "throughout the state of Virginia." They have arrest powers ONLY is the county or city in which they are employed. They are state employees, but the county does supplement their salary and they put into the Virginia Retirement System.

Deputies can run traffic enforcement if they choose, but in Fairfax, a majority of the time, they work in the jail, court security and serve civil processes.

Take care

Posted by: house ()
Date: September 14, 2007 08:22PM

Sheriff's deputy DOES NOT have authority "throughout the state of Virginia." They have arrest powers ONLY is the county or city in which they are employed. They are state employees, but the county does supplement their salary and they put into the Virginia Retirement System.

Deputies can run traffic enforcement if they choose, but in Fairfax, a majority of the time, they work in the jail, court security and serve civil processes.

Take care

----------------

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: fd ()
Date: September 14, 2007 08:22PM

You are wrong omgwft a deputy sheriff from any county has statewide jursdiction. In fairfax county they are responsible for courts, jail and civil enforcement. However they can make criminal and traffic arrests.

Date: September 14, 2007 10:37PM

Whoever told you they do not have state wide jurisdiction is very wrong. Deputy Sheriffs are state employees with supplemental income from the local jurisdictions.

Posted by: omgwtf ()
Date: September 15, 2007 08:08AM

Dr Z, fd and house:

I will try to make this as clear as I thought I made it last time, a deputy sheriff DOES NOT have statewide jurisdiction. A Fairfax deputy can not make an arrest in Prince William County. Only agents of the State government can do that (i.e. State Police, DMV investigators, ABC agents, SCC, etc.). Just because their income is provided by the state does not give them state wide authority.

If you can site the section in the Code of Virginia that says otherwise, I will be proven wrong. Otherwise, please do some research before posting. Thank you and have a great day.

P.S. house, you don't have to be an asshole about it.

Date: September 15, 2007 08:54AM

"Whoever told you they do not have state wide jurisdiction is very wrong. Deputy Sheriffs are state employees with supplemental income from the local jurisdictions."

I missed the part where I was an asshole. I just told you what is the truth. If you do not like the answer dont blame me.

If you make a phone call to the sheriffs department they will tell you the same thing as I have just told you.

Posted by: johnson ()
Date: September 15, 2007 11:26AM

deputy sheriffs are NOT state employees. they are hired, trained, paid, and fired if needed by the Fairfax County Sheriff.

they have a unique jurisdiction that is not like a 'typical' police officer. you would never find a fairfax sheriffs deputy runing traffic in prince william it just doesnt work like that, though it may be allowed by the state code it would be improper unless if prince william specifically requested. if prince william or another virginia jurisdiction did request assistance it would most likely be county police thta provide it due to the nature of the work the sheriffs typically perform which is civil process, and prisoner transportation.

also what the sheriffs department says to the public is a game as well. they will talk like deputies are out every day making traffic stops and arrests in fairfax county as a recuritment tool when in reality the vast majority work in the jail and the courts while a small group does civil process and an even smaller group does warrant arrests in the field. just because they have legal authority does not mean they use it in practice as the county police simply because they do not have the resourses to do it and that is the mission of the county police.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 15, 2007 11:51AM

johnson Wrote:
> though it
> may be allowed by the state code it would be
> improper unless if prince william specifically
> requested.

Yeah...all I am able to find in the code allows law enforcement officers to effect an arrest 1 mile outside of their normal jurisdiction. To me it looks like the only law enforcement officers I can find with statewide jurisdiction are the State Police and game wardens.

Date: September 15, 2007 01:13PM

The sheriff is an elected offical. The county has no authority to hire or fire any of his employees. He can dismiss whoever he wants whenever he wants for whatever reason.

In the chain of command he does not anwer to any county official. In the position of authority he is over the chief of police.

The one mile limit on their authority you speak of is jurisdiction to present cases for hearings. An officer in Alexandria could have a case heard in Alexandria even though the offense/arrest was half a mile into Fairfax.

When you finally learn that sheriffs deputies are in fact state officers with full arrest powers throughout you can send your apoligies to me. If you believe they are just county employees then you must also believe the COMMONWEALTH attorney is also a county employee. Think about it. Farifax although for all their desires is not a state nor a commonwealth it is a county.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: September 15, 2007 02:24PM

The sheriff and his deputies have both civil and concurrent criminal jurisdiction. That jurisdiction is in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, and the towns of Vienna and Herndon. The Sheriff's Office—in conjunction with local police departments—assists with controlling traffic, issuing traffic summonses, and working with state and local law-enforcement agencies. Additionally, sheriff's deputies aid the county police, the U.S. Marshals Service, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in a joint fugitive task force that provides apprehension and arrest of felons who face current warrants.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff/aboutus.htm

The only way they might have jurisdiction outside of the county is picking up a state prisoners in Richmond let's say to bring him back to Fairfax for a court proceeding.

Posted by: susa ()
Date: September 15, 2007 08:45PM

Sheriff Deputies are basically guys who couldn't make the force. But it's a start.

Posted by: susa ()
Date: September 15, 2007 08:55PM

What I meant to say was they are similar the guys you knew in high school that were dorks!

Posted by: XXX ()
Date: October 17, 2007 09:47PM

15.2-1609. Sheriff.

The voters in every county and city shall elect a sheriff unless otherwise provided by general law or special act. The sheriff shall exercise all the powers conferred and perform all the duties imposed upon sheriffs by general law. He shall enforce the law or see that it is enforced in the locality from which he is elected; assist in the judicial process as provided by general law; and be charged with the custody, feeding and care of all prisoners confined in the county or city jail. He may perform such other duties, not inconsistent with his office, as may be requested of him by the governing body. The sheriff shall be elected as provided by general law for a term of four years.

Note the sentence that reads He Shall enforce the law or see that it is enforced IN THE LOCALITY FROM WHICH HE IS ELECTED.

They do not have state wide jurisdiction.

Posted by: slimey ()
Date: October 17, 2007 10:26PM

I could care less. Im just glad they are visible. If you arent breaking any laws,
then you have nothing to worry about. If they pull you over for something, you
have the opportunity to challenge them in court if they are out of their jurisdiction. BTW, someone has to staff the jails, transport prisoners, protect
the courtrooms and, deliver court documents. They are doing the job they're being
paid to do.

Posted by: RATZ'AZZ ()
Date: October 23, 2007 10:34PM

THEY HAVE AUTHORITY ONLY IN THE COUNTY IN WHICH THEY ARE EMPLOYED EXCEPT THEY CAN MAKE A FELONY POP ANYWHERE WITHIN THE COMMONWEALTH, ONLY THE VIRGINIA STATE POLICE HAVE AUTHORITY TO ARREST ANYWHERE IN THE COMMONWEALTH.

AND BY THE WAY VIRGINIA IS NOT A STATE IT IS A COMMONWEALTH LIKE PA, MA AND KY YA'LL NEED TO DO A REFRESHER COURSE IN CIVICS
Attachments:
police55.gif

Posted by: bob ()
Date: October 23, 2007 11:51PM

susa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sheriff Deputies are basically guys who couldn't
> make the force. But it's a start.

That makes a lot of sense. It's a good thing they don't go though the exact SAME academy as any other Fairfax County, Vienna, Herndon or Animal Control Officer... OH but what's more, their hiring process isn't done in the same manner by the same people as the FCPD... Could it be that the Sheriff is just a different organization, that in this day and age attracts a different individual?

Posted by: Wally ()
Date: October 27, 2007 08:15AM

The deputies in Fairfax are merely jail guards. They are paid less; as they should be, and are morons that can't get hired by any real police department.Wannabees

Posted by: ht ()
Date: January 08, 2008 04:45PM

fd Wrote:
> You are wrong omgwft a deputy sheriff from any
> county has statewide jursdiction. In fairfax
> county they are responsible for courts, jail and
> civil enforcement. However they can make criminal
> and traffic arrests.

why would a deputy sheriff visit my home? to give me a summons or arrest me?

Posted by: Wrong ()
Date: January 08, 2008 06:19PM

ht Wrote:
> fd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You are wrong omgwft a deputy sheriff from any
> > county has statewide jursdiction. In fairfax
> > county they are responsible for courts, jail
> and
> > civil enforcement. However they can make
> criminal
> > and traffic arrests.
>
>
> why would a deputy sheriff visit my home? to give
> me a summons or arrest me?

Wrong, all the deputies that leave the sheriff's office have been recruited by the police. The police haven't hired many of them because of buget and hiring restraints. Truth to the matter is the best police officer on the street is the former deputy, due to the experience gained by working in the jail. They actually know how to talk to people. Herndon's officer of the year is a former deputy. Alexandria's officers boast that their best came from the sheriff's office...etc. Fact not fiction.

Posted by: Ooops ()
Date: January 08, 2008 06:21PM

bob Wrote:
> susa Wrote:
> -----
> > Sheriff Deputies are basically guys who
> couldn't
> > make the force. But it's a start.
>
> That makes a lot of sense. It's a good thing they
> don't go though the exact SAME academy as any
> other Fairfax County, Vienna, Herndon or Animal
> Control Officer... OH but what's more, their
> hiring process isn't done in the same manner by
> the same people as the FCPD... Could it be that
> the Sheriff is just a different organization, that
> in this day and age attracts a different
> individual?

Ooops, ditto to "wrong" above statement.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 08, 2008 06:26PM

ht Wrote:
> fd Wrote:
> -----
> > You are wrong omgwft a deputy sheriff from any
> > county has statewide jursdiction. In fairfax
> > county they are responsible for courts, jail
> and
> > civil enforcement. However they can make
> criminal
> > and traffic arrests.
>
>
> why would a deputy sheriff visit my home? to give

Neither. He got your phone number off the wall in a bathroom and saw the message saying you gave great "head".

Posted by: mrb ()
Date: May 14, 2011 11:08AM

Deputies are the primary law enforcement agents in jurisdictions that do not have separate police departments. In jurisdictions that have both deputies are responsible for the jails, courts, and civil papers. They can execute warrants but generally don't. The sheriff is not above the chief of police - whoever said that is wrong. They are two separate agencies, each with it's own chain of command. If you've got a deputy running traffic in a jurisdiction that has a police dept. that deputy is what an officer would refer to as a squirrel.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 01:03PM

Wally Wrote:
> The deputies in Fairfax are merely jail guards.
> They are paid less; as they should be, and are
> morons that can't get hired by any real police
> department.Wannabees

I hope you get beat down with a deputy nightstick.

Posted by: 703 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 06:50PM

Deputy sheriff's in Fairfax Co. and PW Co. go through the same academy as FCPD, Herndon PD, Vienna PD, Animal Control and Fire Marshalls. They are also laughing all the way to the bank while you question their authority and training.

Posted by: NotReally ()
Date: May 15, 2011 09:01PM

703 Wrote:
> Deputy sheriff's in Fairfax Co. and PW Co. go
> through the same academy as FCPD, Herndon PD,
> Vienna PD, Animal Control and Fire Marshalls.
> They are also laughing all the way to the bank
> while you question their authority and training.

I doubt they are "laughing" on the way to the bank, considering $55-65k is not shit in Northern VA.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 15, 2011 09:07PM

Dunno why this old ass thread is coming back to life

but I know the Sheriff's Dept does do traffic patrols sometimes - they were on 123 a least twice last year between Lorton and Station running radar

Posted by: BellaNurseRN ()
Date: May 18, 2011 11:35AM

Oh please do believe that a Deputy Sheriff in Northern VA has even MORE power than a Police Officer. I am married to one, and I can also tell you that he had to go through the same acadamy as any other law enforcement officer.In fact before becoming a D.S. he was a Police Officer, and made considerably less....And yes they can patrol,arrest,and ticket your ass ;)

Posted by: GetReal ()
Date: May 18, 2011 08:46PM

In addition to what Bella said, Deputy's go to 4 weeks extra training for the Jail, Courts, and Civil part of their certifications, then join up with all Police recruits and go through 26 more weeks together!!!

Posted by: capt obvious ()
Date: May 19, 2011 02:04AM

Best way to describe the "more power" thing is not really "more" power however look at it from this view

Police enforce laws from the criminal code book...hence the 18.2-#### Have any of you ever seen the entire code of virginia? It's a very, very big book collection..pretty much need a book shelf about 8 to 10 foot wide to hold it all...Not only can deputy sheriffs inforce the laws in the criminal code section..but they enforce laws from ALL of the books of the Virginia code...and are the only ones who can enforce civil law

does that mean they have "more" power...I don't think so....different jobs but working together do a lot of good for the counties they all serve in.

cheers

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: May 19, 2011 02:49AM

Sheriff's and their deputies are Virginia Constitutional officers. This means they derive thier authority from the Virginia Constiution.

Sheriff's, the elected offical, has the authority to make arrests Commonwealth wide. The Sheriff can limit what powers he or she can pass on to the deputies. Do deputies possess Commonwealth wide authority. Yes they do. Not only does this include criminal matters, but also civil matters that Sheriff's and deputies enforce.

Will a deputy stop someone while the deputy is outside thier respective county/city. Maybe, it depends on what the deputy sees at hand at that time. This would be DWI or some other public jailable misdemeanor/felony. As a routine practice a deputy sheriff will not cite someone for an infraction if that deputy is outside their county/city.

Neither has more "power" than the other. Each classification weather it be a State Trooper, Deputy Sheriff, or Police Officer is respective to the specific job. One will not and cannot say to the other, "We are taking this case over from you."

County and city police officers authority ends at the line unless there are certain specific paramaters in place. State police Troopers have Commonwealth wide authority minus the civil enforcement unique to Sheriff's/Deputies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 02:53AM by Piggy.

Posted by: GetReal ()
Date: May 19, 2011 04:18AM

Very well said Piggy, you alomost took it word for word out of the code and Oath police officers/deputies take. No matter whose doing what, they all work for the same team in essence no matter what city, county, town, state...the thin blue line is very long and will never end!!!

Posted by: dboi89 ()
Date: July 10, 2011 10:06PM

Wally, your statement is inaccurate. The deputies in Fairfax county are fully sworn law enforcement officers. However, since Fairfax county has there own police department they usually don't respond to 911 calls and make arrests in the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 10:06PM by dboi89.

Posted by: JD ()
Date: August 03, 2015 12:49AM

You are completely wrong, a Deputy does not have arrest powers throughout the state. I have served for over a decade, and can tell you you are incorrect.

Posted by: mo blues ()
Date: August 03, 2015 01:55AM

ht Wrote:
> > why would a deputy sheriff visit my home? to give

Yes and if your name is Monique, it happens a lot.

Posted by: slick rick ()
Date: August 03, 2015 02:05AM

mo blues Wrote:
> ht Wrote:
> -----
> > > why would a deputy sheriff visit my home? to
> give
> > me a summons or arrest me?
>
>
> Yes and if your name is Monique, it happens a lot.

And if you're slick you best charges and get little to no time

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.