HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Best Divorce Lawyer in Nova?
Posted by: Gtx ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:16AM

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Divorce Lawyer in Nova?
Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:11AM

Don't get married. If you are, don't sign anything.

Posted by: Fly down to Mexico ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:18AM

Cheap and you get a vacation too.

Posted by: Bil N ()
Date: December 19, 2010 06:20PM

Joe Condo, Mark Sandground, David Masterman, Kathleen O'Brien, Jim Cottrell, Betty Thompson, Richard Colten, Robert Shoun, Glenn Lewis, Marty Gannon and a few others. Most of these people are going to charge upwards of $500 per hour.

The big question is do you really need THE BEST? Is there something about your case that requires you to incur a six figure legal bill in order to separate your property and resolve custody and support issues? Don't get me wrong: There is a reason why these guys get the big money. You are going to get some services from them that you might not get with less expensive attorneys, and in an extremely close case they might be the difference. However for more run of the mill cases there are a great many of us "second tier" attorneys who can obtain about the same result at a much lower price.

Posted by: Brookfield Resident ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:32PM

I used Brian Hirsch in Reston. Liked him a lot. Very fair and doesn't let the other person get away with anything

Posted by: good advice ()
Date: December 21, 2010 04:24PM

Smith and Wesson

Posted by: To good advice ()
Date: December 21, 2010 04:29PM

That is too funny! Thank you!

Posted by: just sayin ()
Date: December 21, 2010 04:29PM

No divorce is second tier to the people in it. Call Tom Fromme in fairfax.Not $500 and flawlessin my view.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: December 21, 2010 05:19PM

If you are a guy you are toast. If you have kids, you need to find a way to tolerate the bitch until the last kid is 18 and has graduated high school.

Posted by: anon ()
Date: December 22, 2010 07:11PM

Sharon Filipour

Posted by: sad but true ()
Date: December 24, 2010 11:07AM

justsayin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are a guy you are toast. If you have kids,
> you need to find a way to tolerate the bitch until
> the last kid is 18 and has graduated high school.

If you're a woman get the cheapest one you can find or possibly none. If you're a man don't waste your money......It just won't matter.

Posted by: chinky ()
Date: December 26, 2010 10:13PM

todd sanders?

Posted by: NON ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:46AM

John Bauserman

one of his opponenets started a website abut him she was so pissed.

"Mommy go BYE BYE"

Posted by: GLENN LEWIS lost ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:50AM

Before anyone gives glen lewis too much credit, read this article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/25/AR2010092503070.html

Posted by: Harryhomeowner ()
Date: December 28, 2010 07:35AM

Heather Cooper in Fairfax, http://www.cgglawyers.com/

My adulteress ex-wife used one of these attorneys: "Joe Condo, Mark Sandground, David Masterman, Kathleen O'Brien, Jim Cottrell, Betty Thompson, Richard Colten, Robert Shoun, Glenn Lewis, Marty Gannon and a few others. Most of these people are going to charge upwards of $500 per hour."

I walked away with the house and the healthy equity, the newer car and being with the kids, most of the time.

Posted by: Rute Boye ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:16PM

I would consider using this firm:

http://www.virginiafamilylawcenter.com/

Posted by: goforit ()
Date: January 09, 2011 04:33PM

Gtx
I am sorry this post was started as the reality is due to pending divorce, although it is with equal appreciation that I find some real advice, as I am currently in the same situation.
Brookfield Resident, do you know the hourly rate of Brian Hirsh and everyone else out there, do you have any suggestions for top attorneys in NOVA where price is at $375 as maximum?

Posted by: $375.00 the max ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:05AM

Good luck finding a decent lawyer for that amt of money per hour. If you do not have a lot to split up or more then two kids a cheap lawyer will do. If you want to screw it to your spouse you will need to pay more upfront.

Posted by: 375 to max response ()
Date: January 13, 2011 09:57PM

Has anyone heard of Susan Hicks or Richard Wexell? How effective?

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: January 13, 2011 11:02PM

Susan Hicks is good, but I believe she is well above $375.

Posted by: 375 to max response ()
Date: January 14, 2011 09:18AM

Bill N,

Thanks- My apology, meant Susan Butler with Shoun.com law firm. Also, if anyone may know that hiring a good attorney in a well-reputed firm like Shoun.com is just as good as hiring a well-known attorney. And how much cost does it add if you live in a different county for courrier costs, etc?

Posted by: Tite Wadd ()
Date: January 14, 2011 09:26AM

375 to max response Wrote:
> Bill N,
>
> Thanks- My apology, meant Susan Butler with
> Shoun.com law firm. Also, if anyone may know that
> hiring a good attorney in a well-reputed firm like
> Shoun.com is just as good as hiring a well-known
> attorney. And how much cost does it add if you
> live in a different county for courrier costs,
> etc?

Honestly, if you are trying to micromanage this down to the level of courier costs, you likely can't afford any of the attorneys that have been identified here, and if you can, you will not be satisfied, no matter what the outcome, because of what it has cost you.

Posted by: DivorcedThrice ()
Date: January 14, 2011 09:35AM

Since I've been on the marriage chopping block thrice, I can tell you that (in hind sight) it would have cost me less money (several thousands) if I had stayed married to my first slutty two-timing nagging bitch. Seriously, if you want to get even with the whore you married, stay married but have some pussy on the side.

Date: January 14, 2011 02:49PM

All, thank you for your suggestions and particularly Brookfield Resident- I have retained Brian H. and initial impression is very competent

Thanks again
Alan

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: January 14, 2011 07:07PM

375 to max response Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------

> Also, if anyone may know that
> hiring a good attorney in a well-reputed firm like
> Shoun.com is just as good as hiring a well-known
> attorney. And how much cost does it add if you
> live in a different county for courrier costs,
> etc?

In a word, No.

A lawyer in a good firm is going to have access to the firm's resources. At best you are still relying on the knowledge and skills of the attorney who is handling the case. Of course one of the better known higher profile attorneys in the firm could step in and take over the case, but when that happens you are going to end up paying that lawyer's high rates rather than the junior attorney's lower rates.

That said there are some very good attorneys who are associates or junior partners in firms run by "name" attorneys. Examples would include Anne Goodwin with Fite & O'Brien in McLean, Colleen Sweeney at William B. Reichhardt's firm in Fairfax or Carol Ehlenberger with Brian Hirsch in Reston. (Sorry no opinion on Ms. Butler) There are others of equal caliber in NoVa.

I said at best because there can be downsides to using second tier attorneys. Some of these firms have the same high level billable demands that you find at large firms, so the number of hours being put into your case may rachet upwards. You can run into similar games from name attorneys though. General rule is that whenever an attorney says they do something to keep your costs down, they mean it will make them more money.

Posted by: if you have $$$ ()
Date: January 14, 2011 07:57PM

Stay married till the kids are 18. Life is short but you need to save your $$ and maybe even hide some. Start putting $$ iin your kids names but you are the benefactor and they cannot touch it without your approval.

Posted by: Dewey, Cheatem & Howe ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:25PM

if you have $$$ Wrote:
> Stay married till the kids are 18. Life is short
> but you need to save your $$ and maybe even hide
> some. Start putting $$ iin your kids names but you
> are the benefactor and they cannot touch it
> without your approval.

Boy, you must have the best attorney in the Commonwealth of Virginia if you can get away with all of that without your wife being able to get her hands on it!

Posted by: Yes, only the best will do for me! ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:35PM

I married a trophy wife and could hide what I wanted. As long as I paid her credit card bill she never looked at shit. She would even sign tax documents and NEVER even read them. She had no clue. In long run it was not worth it to be married. I made the mistake. She made some good money off me but THANK GOD we never had kids. Kids will drain your bank account faster.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: January 27, 2011 11:58AM

Johnny Cockrin and Associatz baybay!

Posted by: shortbread ()
Date: January 27, 2011 07:03PM

Piggy Wrote:
> Don't get married. If you are, don't sign
> anything.

Including the Marriage Certificate!

Posted by: Divorce lawyer ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:36PM

I am a divorce lawyer but I do things differently. I will set-up your spouse in a way that it will never look like entrapment. I will make her life a living hell and wear her down to the point that she is broke and desperate just to reach a settlement. I will publicly embarass her at work and amongst her friends that she will want to crawl under a rock and die. These bitches are like third world dictators, they are stubborn cunts that you have to use extreme measures to drill it into their heads that the only way out of this mess is to raise the white flag and give in to the husband.

Date: February 03, 2011 12:29AM

Ok, could use some advise/suggestions on what to expect- My STBX has now secured a new attorney within the last month after I countersued and now requesting 4-way meeting. I am not sure what to expect. I know my attorney will represent me, but anyone who may weigh in if they have experienced this would be appreciated.

Posted by: been there done that ()
Date: February 03, 2011 04:03PM

Susan Hicks is really good. She's in the same ballpark as the $500 / hour guys (that's actually her rate). She's Washingtonian's Top 50, etc.

I had someone from her firm. She has other lawyers with lower billing rates too. The key with divorce lawyers is that they will bill you tons to fight over just about anything. I mean - they bill by the hour. What I liked about them was that they didn't let my wife get away with BS, but they also didn't bill me up the butt for stuff I didn't really care about.

Shoun is also pretty good too. They have a number of lawyers with a variety of rates.

Posted by: Do you have kids? ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:06PM

If you have kids and money you should wait it out till they are 18. The amount of money you pay in lawyers fees and moving cost plus support will bankrupt you. Believe me.

Basically I think all men/women are pretty much alike in the long wrong. You get married in another few years and it is the same crap but with a different person. I wish everyone could sign up for a ten year marriage with an option to renew.

Posted by: SnowBear ()
Date: February 11, 2011 08:27AM

Justin Daniel, great new young atty. in FFX.

Charged us around $400/hour... Very happy with the outcome. All were beside themself with how easy the process went.

He is working at the Whitestone firm in FFX.

Date: February 13, 2011 10:53PM

Wow, this keeps getting worse and needs some suggestions fast- She called the police this afternoon and falsely accused me of pointing a knife at her right in front of the kids- I am planning on getting a protective order tomorrow morning and wanted to find out any other legal thing at my disposal I may have- I know I am fighting an uphill battle with the courts slanted toward women (she has turned the kids against me as well), but I am determined to fight for my kids.

Posted by: EGOD ()
Date: February 13, 2011 11:43PM

Man ur best advise is not to take advise here or you are screwed!! I had a lawyer in Fairfax city do mine, Obregon LLC was good and quick and can provide good direction..Hit em up!

Posted by: Rockinred ()
Date: February 15, 2011 09:59PM

The Whitestone firm has served me well.
You've got a tough battle to fight dude. You said it all, the court system absolutely is in favor of the "mom" these days. Unless she's addicted to drugs, commuting crimes daily, or doing something else wrong... she's given the benefit of the doubt.

Justin Daniel, ESQ helped my boy out with his custody case and they worked out a great weekend deal. He gets to see his son every weekend and every other holiday. Here's his info...

703-591-0200
justin.daniel@wbymlaw.com

Posted by: GoodEFFFinLuck ()
Date: February 16, 2011 12:14AM

if you have no kids... convince her of a divorce... go find some cheap online bullshit forms, print them out, take them to some BS lawyer to sign and both walk away with some dignity.

if you have kids... Your pretty much Done!
Unless... you can prove them unfit... which is actually pretty simple...
After you separate (within a 1 year period) If you can prove them cheating... Hire a certified Private Investigator, Then get Your Kids!!! They pay you child support, AND Alimony (depending on income (obviously)

Mention this to Whichever Lawyer You Do hire...

My 25,000 out of pocket Lawyer recommended this several times, but i was too cheap to pay A P.I. upwards $600.00 and hour... and i knew she was Messing around... my child support now..... $1250.00 a month... I only make $68,000/yr

hope it helps..

otherwise...
find a new 'friend' to spend some time with...
and go home when your damn well ready.. make them divorce you.

Date: February 27, 2011 01:33PM

Divorce lawyer Wrote:
> I am a divorce lawyer but I do things differently.
> I will set-up your spouse in a way that it will
> never look like entrapment. I will make her life a
> living hell and wear her down to the point that
> she is broke and desperate just to reach a
> settlement. I will publicly embarass her at work
> and amongst her friends that she will want to
> crawl under a rock and die. These bitches are like
> third world dictators, they are stubborn cunts
> that you have to use extreme measures to drill it
> into their heads that the only way out of this
> mess is to raise the white flag and give in to the
> husband.

Please contact me ASAP. I need a consult.

Posted by: Sue H ()
Date: May 25, 2011 09:02PM

I used Richard Colten for my divorce. $500/hour but worth every penny. Always makes the list of Washington's best divorce attorneys. His associates did the boilerplate stuff at a much lower rate so it all equalled out to using a less expensive attorney without large firm resources. You want the best possible attorney sitting beside you in the courtroom!

Posted by: Yes ()
Date: May 25, 2011 09:15PM

Screw each other just like did on your honeymoon, but in reverse.

Make sure you become the biggest asshole you can be and make sure you never see your kids again.

Get married to a younger women and have a new baby and wait till she leaves your ass in the nursing home.

Divorce. So much fun.

Posted by: Legal Eagle ()
Date: May 25, 2011 09:48PM

VA courts are very Pro-Women even if they are caught cheating and you have evidence. It's better to spend alot for a good lawyer rather than losing it all to some bad ex-wife due to having poor representation.

Posted by: right dar ()
Date: May 25, 2011 10:48PM

I used these folks and was satisfied

John Baserman www.piklaw.com

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: May 25, 2011 11:27PM

good advice Wrote:
> Smith and Wesson

+1

The law firm of Smith & Wesson, "Ending marriages since 1852"

Posted by: WifeofRichWacko ()
Date: August 25, 2011 07:24PM

I used Nupur Bal at Glenn Lewis' law firm and was very happy with the results. She was SUPER aggressive which was what I needed - my case went from 2009 till 2011. 2 years of hell, but her strategy helped me through it. She was under $400.

Posted by: Hourly Rate ()
Date: August 25, 2011 09:12PM

Would love to hear a serious response from a divorce (or any other type for that matter) attorney. Please justify an hourly rate of anything north of of $350/hour. Hell, how about $75/hour.

90% of cases have got to be routine, even the messy ones.

Have NOT been there, done that, so I don't know.

Posted by: Peter Mitchell ()
Date: August 26, 2011 12:54AM

By far, the best divorce lawyer is Marc H. Botzin. He does not have a website or advertise on late night television, but this guy is a pitt bull. He is hands down, the best divorce attorney in the Northern VA area. I think his office is in Fairfax City now, he used to be in Old Towne Alexandria. Phone is 703-519-3900. He has represented me twice and both times, excellent results. This guy is to the point, no-nonsense, and always wins.

Posted by: John E Law ()
Date: August 26, 2011 10:19AM

Well, the best divorce lawyer is DEFINITELY not my soon to be Ex's attorney. I just found out that he's milked her for about $62K so far!!!! I'm at about half of that so far with my attorney thanks to the soon to be Ex! I am using an attorney from Bean, Kinney & Korman in Arlington. They are a very good firm.

Posted by: Fred Suckaluski ()
Date: August 26, 2011 10:32AM

Take Itchy's advise, that's gonna be your cheapest and easiest way!

Posted by: FREEEETLAST ()
Date: August 26, 2011 09:04PM

Second John Baserman at Piklaw

Posted by: Dr. S.F. ()
Date: December 04, 2011 12:55PM

My experience with a Phillip Schwartz, a 500 dollar/hour lawyer on the Shoun Bach Walinsky & Curran team.

As of today, delay mentioned below is almost 17 weeks (more than 1/3 year.

Failed to timely send urgently needed divorce decree required for foreign court child custody petition. 13 week delay and was actively attentive only after I complained to VA Bar Association. emails from him show he was busy with other lucrative and apparently more important cases (including professional related travel abroad) during the 13 weeks as I had already paid in full and even paid in advance of completion. It appears he may have lost my documents also. Ignores most of my current email including request for "tracking number" of documents reportedly mailed to me. This delay sets me back for additional living expenses abroad and in addition sets me back for the same duration in lost income in my profession as a doctor.

Prior to retaining him he wrote in an email that the VA court will grant an adultery divorce if adultery is shown to the court. Other lawyers I consulted told me it was a discretionary decision up to the judge. I figured the other lawyers were downplaying what Mr. Schwartz stated as they did not have his purported vast experience and expertise. It turns out Mr. Schwartz emailed me this very same "discretion of the judge" disclaimer albeit cleverly worded, almost on the eve of the final hearing, well after he got my business. In retrospect, other experienced divorce lawyers were honest up front, and also hundreds of dollars less per hour. He lied to me to get my business.

I received multiple recurrent confidential email communications between him and other clients. Typically they were of cases of international nature and the headers were "spoofed" so they would appear as not being sent or cc'd to me. Perhaps he was trying to show me how important he is by the international nature of cases, perhaps careless, perhaps confused, although I tend to think they were intentionally sent in light of the "spoofing"

I can only assume he also shared my/our confidential communications in the same manner with other clients or potential clients.

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/22033-va-philip-schw...rtz-664847/reviews.html#155806
[Report Post]

Posted by: Martinp ()
Date: December 04, 2011 05:16PM

Don't know bout Tay.

Posted by: Careful lawyer ()
Date: December 04, 2011 10:09PM

Best advice is to not use a lawyer to pursue major legal action in any type of divorce. All Northern Virginia judges have heard it all before -- he said she said. You throw away a TON of money and the lawyers get rich and you still do not get the outcome that you wanted (no where near -- no matter how compelling your case).

Figure it out with your spouse. Divide up all the property yourselves. Negotiate with a far cheaper 3rd party mediator. Sure -- use a lawyer to find out what your rights are, and to make sure final agreements are legal and tight. But you are crazy to throw money away on a big lawsuit.

Posted by: Pay to win ()
Date: December 07, 2011 08:42PM

Keira Schwartz Guthrie- She gets it right the first time saving in the long run.
Spunky and knows her stuff !

Posted by: Not impressed ()
Date: December 07, 2011 08:49PM

Not impressed with Susan Hicks. My attorney kicked butt. I was awarded full custody, child support and alimony.

Posted by: John Downing ()
Date: December 14, 2011 02:32PM

Michael Ward is the best divorce lawyer in No. Va. in my opinion.He has been practicing for over 30 years, orginally was a partner with Gannon,Cottrell.He practices by himself in Fairfax.He i s brilliant, so focused,so organized and he wins.Best of all,he's not greedy and won't break your bank.

Posted by: Robert Green ()
Date: December 14, 2011 02:36PM

I have used Mike Ward. He is awesome.You are right, he is brilliant.He is incredible in court. He is so prepared that being up against him is a problem for any other lawyer.

Posted by: James Reed ()
Date: December 14, 2011 02:39PM

You are right. I went to Mike Ward and he won everything for me. I was so happy and the guy is not greedy. Can't beat it!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Mike Ward the Hack! ()
Date: December 14, 2011 02:56PM

What a coincidence that three people, using their real names, all commented positively on a divorce atty within 7 minutes of eachother!

Wow!

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: December 14, 2011 04:23PM

Careful lawyer Wrote:
>
> Figure it out with your spouse. Divide up all the
> property yourselves. Negotiate with a far cheaper
> 3rd party mediator.

+1

Posted by: notMikeWard ()
Date: December 15, 2011 02:42PM

just say no unless you want a complete a-hole

Signed,

a lawyer, but not a divorce lawyer

Posted by: Who Cares ()
Date: December 18, 2011 12:56PM

Who cares how he treats you-your not a client your a lawyer and a pretty insecure one at that!

Posted by: Trre ()
Date: December 20, 2011 01:24AM

Www.piklaw.com

Posted by: usmc ()
Date: December 20, 2011 03:33PM

David Root, Tysons Corner... The best lawyer you can find in VA to represent the male side.

Posted by: quick correction ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:07PM

Its David Roop (not Root) and he's very good.

Posted by: ToeInTheWater ()
Date: December 21, 2011 12:56AM

Here's a question: As a man, would I be better off with a male attorney or a female attorney? Does it matter? What are the plusses & minuses of each one?

Also, a friend who just went through a divorce (in Arlington) told me that I need to have an attorney from Fairfax county since that is where I live. Is that true? I didn't think it mattered.

Posted by: aaaaaaaa ()
Date: December 21, 2011 10:17AM

ToeInTheWater Wrote:
> Here's a question: As a man, would I be better
> off with a male attorney or a female attorney?
> Does it matter? What are the plusses & minuses of
> each one?
>
> Also, a friend who just went through a divorce (in
> Arlington) told me that I need to have an attorney
> from Fairfax county since that is where I live.
> Is that true? I didn't think it mattered.

All other things being equal, get a female attorney.

You are right, attorneys are licensed by the state, it does not matter what county they are from. Maybe your friend meant that your attorney should be known/respected by the Fairfax courts and other lawyers here??? You do NOT want to go to court, but if you did, you would need an attorney who is liked by the judges in this county. And even that is no guarantee, judges are frequently brought in from outside the area. Just stay out of court, mediate a settlement.

Posted by: Maddy Gosling ()
Date: December 28, 2011 07:57PM

My dad has been practicing in Richmond for 35 years but not family law. He recommended Joe COndo up here (I live in Arlington( but he was too high for me (650$/hr). Joe set me up with his most senior lawyer, Nuper Bal. We mediated in the end, but she set up the case so my ex folded like a... I hope to NEVER use her again (haha - no more divorces!!) but I have recommended her to two friends already.

Posted by: Burned and Learned ()
Date: December 29, 2011 10:22PM

Careful Lawyer above gave the best advice. DO NOT create or follow the path towards expensive divorce litigation requiring lawyers. At the end of the day their fees will milk you dry for no benefit. Negotiate with your spouse. Get a lawyer to review all legal docs as well as get an explanation of Virginia divorce law and the options available to spouses, but avoid protracted divorce legal proceedings.

Posted by: LukeL ()
Date: January 11, 2012 04:06AM

Someone on her mentioned Keira Schwartz. I agree. A neighbor also used her, which is how I found her. I met with her awhile back. Case just settled and I couldn't feel better about it. Not sure what your rate ceiling is, but she was $365/hr I believe.

Posted by: You're correct ()
Date: January 11, 2012 07:13AM

Posted by: Burned and Learned ()
Date: December 29, 2011 10:22PM

Careful Lawyer above gave the best advice. DO NOT create or follow the path towards expensive divorce litigation requiring lawyers. At the end of the day their fees will milk you dry for no benefit. Negotiate with your spouse. Get a lawyer to review all legal docs as well as get an explanation of Virginia divorce law and the options available to spouses, but avoid protracted divorce legal proceedings.

+1!!!!

Went through mediation and saved a ton of money. Under $8k for everything!

Posted by: HappeeOne ()
Date: January 11, 2012 04:58PM

Carl Horton in Oakton
he rescued me from an abusive husband

Posted by: Gman ()
Date: January 12, 2012 12:48AM

How about the worst ? ILONA GRENEDIER . she scammed me for 10's of thousand's of dollars, was very rude, unproffessional, shared personal information to the opposing counsel. Charges $700.00hr, drives a New Bentley Gt. The problem is that I got no representation from her and got screwed hard in the end. Many hate her and feel that she should be dis-bared.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS FIRM

Posted by: Issy ()
Date: January 13, 2012 03:33PM

She's just okay . Overpriced. But
Don't expect her to be unlike any of them.
She just does it in a skirt.
Also if she is doing something less than honorable
She gets an associate to do it. SOS

Posted by: Colleen ()
Date: January 14, 2012 12:54AM

Get an attorney who will readily ADVISE you and has at least SOME professional pride. Too many listen to their clients when their clients want to file some moronic motion that will not be immediately dismissed, but doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being successful. Those sorts of motions are a shameless yet greedy attorney's wet dream - time-intensive, convoluted, and insuring him/her numerous billable hours.

The ethical attorney (well, ethical is a relative term in the shark community) will not hesitate advising his/her client not to pursue a moronic motion even though that moronic motion will bring him/her plenty of billable hours.

I've found that William (Bill) Schmidt and his associate, Brook Rolka, are just that type of attorney who will advise their clients in such a manner.

http://pview.findlaw.com/view/1065426_1

Posted by: Angry White Man ()
Date: January 15, 2012 02:05PM

Unfortunately, there are no trustworthy people given the gravity of challenges life gives to us.

My wife fell in love with a yoga instructor while I struggled to survive cancer. She refused to work and now enjoys 5 grand a month and emptied all bank accounts prior to announcing her intention to divorce. I had no idea that she was unhappy. I see now she is the rule, not the exception.

Virginia divorce laws are punitive for men. Don't ever marry in Virginia.

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: January 15, 2012 03:52PM

Angry White Man Wrote:
> Unfortunately, there are no trustworthy people
> given the gravity of challenges life gives to us.
>
> My wife fell in love with a yoga instructor while
> I struggled to survive cancer. She refused to
> work and now enjoys 5 grand a month and emptied
> all bank accounts prior to announcing her
> intention to divorce. I had no idea that she was
> unhappy. I see now she is the rule, not the
> exception.
>
> Virginia divorce laws are punitive for men. Don't
> ever marry in Virginia.

Agreed. God forbid if you have kids. Courts & moms usually yank them away from good fathers, then the newly-single moms run around saying "my kids' dad is completely out of the picture and wants nothing to do with his kids." No wonder American families are so fucked up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 03:52PM by Alpha Male.

Posted by: may ()
Date: February 03, 2012 12:35PM

David Roop of the Roop Law firm in Vienna/Tysons Corner is excellent. He is honest, settlement oriented but an amazing litigator as well. He's not cheap, but he is worth it - he also has excellent associate attorneys who bill at a lesser rate. He oversaw my case and had an associate work much on my case to save me money - highly recommended!

Posted by: Rod Koozmin ()
Date: February 06, 2012 09:35PM

Paul Scott

Posted by: Rod Koozmion ()
Date: February 06, 2012 09:38PM

Rod Koozmin Wrote:
> Paul Scott

Paul Scott talked to me when I called his add, the bigest in the yellow pages. That says something in itself. If you are inteligent you will notice an equLLY inteligent man if you talk to him

Posted by: Fired Up! ()
Date: February 07, 2012 10:15AM

I agree with what ISSY said... "just okay," "overpriced," and "she just does it in a skirt." Why did you stay and continue to pay her $700/hr if you were unsatisfied with her performance? You should have just fired her, saved a lot of money, and gone elsewhere for representation, especially if she was as you described. Lawyers are a dime a dozen in NOVA. You can't really blame her for you sticking around. People are accountable for their own actions. You probably paid the lease on her Bentley that year.

It's worth mentioning here for those looking for a firm that her female Asian associate (maybe half Asian) is the absolute worst. She has a very limited vocabulary, especially in front of a judge. It appears that Ilona will assign her to her more "untrustworthy" clients. They are usually the ones that are not honest or forthcoming with her before discovery (i.e., compulsive liars, cheaters, no morals, hiding assets, abandoning children, etc.) She does not like to be embarrassed in front of a judge, but then again, who does? Ilona usually won't do the dirty work of defending such a person herself in court, but she will assign an associate and take their money. Why? Because she can.

If it is an option, mediation is still the smartest choice. It will save both parties a ton of dough.

> How about the worst ? ILONA GRENEDIER . she
> scammed me for 10's of thousand's of dollars, was
> very rude, unproffessional, shared personal
> information to the opposing counsel. Charges
> $700.00hr, drives a New Bentley Gt. The problem is
> that I got no representation from her and got
> screwed hard in the end. Many hate her and feel
> that she should be dis-bared.
>
> STAY AWAY FROM THIS FIRM

Posted by: Fired Up! ()
Date: February 07, 2012 10:17AM

Gman Wrote:
> How about the worst ? ILONA GRENEDIER . she
> scammed me for 10's of thousand's of dollars, was
> very rude, unproffessional, shared personal
> information to the opposing counsel. Charges
> $700.00hr, drives a New Bentley Gt. The problem is
> that I got no representation from her and got
> screwed hard in the end. Many hate her and feel
> that she should be dis-bared.
>
> STAY AWAY FROM THIS FIRM
I agree with what ISSY said... "just okay," "overpriced," and "she just does it in a skirt." Why did you stay and continue to pay her $700/hr if you were unsatisfied with her performance? You should have just fired her, saved a lot of money, and gone elsewhere for representation, especially if she was as you described. Lawyers are a dime a dozen in NOVA. You can't really blame her for you sticking around. People are accountable for their own actions. You probably paid the lease on her Bentley that year.

It's worth mentioning here for those looking for a firm that her female Asian associate (maybe half Asian) is the absolute worst. She has a very limited vocabulary, especially in front of a judge. It appears that Ilona will assign her to her more "untrustworthy" clients. They are usually the ones that are not honest or forthcoming with her before discovery (i.e., compulsive liars, cheaters, no morals, hiding assets, abandoning children, etc.) She does not like to be embarrassed in front of a judge, but then again, who does? Ilona usually won't do the dirty work of defending such a person herself in court, but she will assign an associate and take their money. Why? Because she can.

If it is an option, mediation is still the smartest choice. It will save both parties a ton of dough.

Posted by: If I had it my way! ()
Date: February 07, 2012 10:19AM

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: February 07, 2012 07:03PM

In general, the OP fucked up in a couple of ways:
1) He got married, and now things have gone to hell.
2) He never had the foresight to think about pre-nup, or how to un-wind the deal.
3) Coming to FFXU for any advice is, well, a gamble. For every nugget of good advice: expect 100 insane comments, mine included! That being said, if you are asking for a good lawyer, here, well, your case is already a lost cause. Bend over, pull open the ole bombbay doors, and let her give it to you any way she wants. She has won, and you have suffered a loss. Now just giving up your money, pride, primary residence is what you have to look forward to.

Posted by: Married2Satan ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:32PM

Hello Divorce Lawyer,

I need to get in touch with you ASAP. You can contact me or I can reach out to you. Just tell me how you want to do this? I don't have your contact information and I don't know how to send you mine privately.

Thanks

Re: Best Divorce Lawyer in Nova?/Paul Scott
Posted by: Rod Koozmin ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:08PM

Paul Scott is the best- Rod Koozmin

Posted by: Sdert ()
Date: February 11, 2012 09:00AM

John Bauserman 703 267 2600

Posted by: poor ()
Date: February 11, 2012 09:20AM

The one my ex wife had.

Posted by: MyLawyerFnMeWorseThanX ()
Date: March 08, 2012 04:13PM

Gman
just saw your post re Ilona Grenadier "scammed you for 10s of thousands" ... need advice re the EXACT same person !!!!!
How can I get in touch with you ASAP ... before I lose all my retirement to her AND my X!!! ... pls
MyLawyerFnMeWorseThanX

Posted by: MyLawyerFnMeWorseThanX ()
Date: March 08, 2012 04:14PM

Gman
just saw your post re Ilona Grenadier "scammed you for 10s of thousands" ... need advice re the EXACT same person !!!!!
How can I get in touch with you ASAP ... before I lose all my retirement to her AND my X!!! ... pls
MyLawyerFnMeWorseThanX

BEWARE: Ilona Grenadier
Posted by: FdByAttnyIsWorseThanX ()
Date: March 08, 2012 04:21PM

Gman,
saw your post re Ilona Grenadier "scammed for 10s of thousands" ... need advice re the EXACT same !!!!!
How can I get in touch with you ASAP, discuss, etc. ... before I lose 20 years of my retirement to her AND my cheating greedy X!!! ... pls

Posted by: karl kelley ()
Date: May 14, 2012 08:24PM

My wife made 700000 in 2010 not sure what she made in 2011 because she filed the taxes without my signature. I am sure she made mor wont show me the tax papers. wife filed propert settlement agreement. we have two kids. she wants to pay me 1500 in child support and 2500 in alimony for three years plus half of our assests. she is a partner in her company. she doesnt want me to go after company. I make about 30,000 a year. I watch kids 75% of time. She travels frequently sometime for long periods. most recently to europe. should I take offer or get more i feel i am being ripped off. she wants to share custody. I want sole custudy with her having reasonable visitation. attorneys mediation or just settle.

Posted by: karl k ()
Date: May 14, 2012 08:29PM

My wife made 700000 in 2010 not sure what she made in 2011 because she filed the taxes without my signature. I am sure she made mor wont show me the tax papers. wife filed propert settlement agreement. we have two kids. she wants to pay me 1500 in child support and 2500 in alimony for three years plus half of our assests. she is a partner in her company. she doesnt want me to go after company. I make about 30,000 a year. I watch kids 75% of time. She travels frequently sometime for long periods. most recently to europe. should I take offer or get more i feel i am being ripped off. she wants to share custody. I want sole custudy with her having reasonable visitation. attorneys mediation or just settle

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: May 14, 2012 08:51PM

karl k Wrote:
> My wife made 700000 in 2010 not sure what she made
> in 2011 because she filed the taxes without my
> signature. I am sure she made mor wont show me
> the tax papers. wife filed propert settlement
> agreement. we have two kids. she wants to pay me
> 1500 in child support and 2500 in alimony for
> three years plus half of our assests. she is a
> partner in her company. she doesnt want me to go
> after company. I make about 30,000 a year. I
> watch kids 75% of time. She travels frequently
> sometime for long periods. most recently to
> europe. should I take offer or get more i feel i
> am being ripped off. she wants to share custody.
> I want sole custudy with her having reasonable
> visitation. attorneys mediation or just settle

Nobody here cares about your life. We do, however, care about your crappy writing skills. Go back and finish the first grade.

Posted by: Divorced! ()
Date: May 15, 2012 07:43AM

I had one of the " cheaper " lawyers listed. And my ex had one from Choun/Bach. However it's spelled. Let's say he is in $75k at least in dept and I am paid off. I have the kids, the house and he pays okay child support, plus other things. My only thing is choun and bach are very unethical and this particular lawyer we went against truly should have their license revoked. Lies, lies, and this isn't cliche that I'm saying this because circuit court judge asked the attorney why they had not represented what truly happened all the while there were documents proving the truth.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 15, 2012 07:56AM

karl k Wrote:
> should I take offer or get more i feel i
> am being ripped off. she wants to share custody.
> I want sole custudy with her having reasonable
> visitation. attorneys mediation or just settle

If she is pulling down $700k a year I'm guessing the household assets are quite substantial. No offense but if you are only pulling down $30k/yr then you have hit the jackpot with the offer you have. Take it, let her have partial custody so you have some free time on a schedule to spend the windfall, and move on with life.

I don't know if you have done the math, but what she is paying you in alimony equals what you make in a year before taxes. Shared custody would mean her child support payments will stretch further. You didn't say how old the kids were, but make sure she will be paying child support until the last kid hits 18 or graduates high school (whichever is last). I can't tell by your note if you meant both child support and alimony were meant to only last three years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 07:58AM by justsayin.

Posted by: jrck ()
Date: August 15, 2012 02:25PM

Please contact me for a consult.
Thank you.

Posted by: Rajesh ()
Date: January 03, 2013 02:47PM

Hi,

Do you have your contact information? I am looking for a good divorce lawer in Northern VA.

Posted by: Gman ()
Date: January 03, 2013 10:35PM

STAY AWAY FROM ILONA GRENADIER THEIF AND LIAR , YOU WILL BE BURNED BY HER

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.