HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Free and reduced lunch program
Posted by: why??? ()
Date: December 18, 2010 10:29PM

Are you just as upset as I am of the way people take advantage of the lunch program in FCPS. I do the right thing by taking care of my kids and paying all their expenses and others lie on the applications a get the free and reduced lunches and all the other benefits that go along with being on free and reduced lunch and I heard the parents laughing and telling other parents how to fill out the forms. THis is all happening during sporting events. Friday night I heard it again. Yes I was listening and hearing that they don't even have to pay for the SATs. When leaving they drive better car than I do. They also have jobs. One woman has a govt job. How can this happen? Maybe I am jealous. I just can't lie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Free and reduced lunch program
Posted by: whynot ()
Date: December 18, 2010 11:08PM

I know what you mean, I am having a hard time buying my kids presentsfor Christmas and paying for everything my kid needs for his senior year in high school. it is very expensive. I make $45000 and have 2 kids to I qualify. When I asked last year the school said I make to much. Any ideas?

Posted by: curious ()
Date: December 18, 2010 11:18PM

NEWSFLASH: Enraged Parents Attack Fairfax Underground!

Posted by: loosers ()
Date: December 18, 2010 11:40PM

Several years ago, for a certain reason, I did some research on the "free and reduced" price lunch program. It was very interesting and shocking. Just as you say, it's a big sham. Only 3% of the applications are required to be audited. So what the h***, let's ALL apply!! There's a 97% chance that we get away with it. Those unlucky 3% that do get audited......just ignore the audit and you will be removed from the program.......with NO penalty! You mentioned free SAT......once on the free lunch program EVERYTHING is free. Any book fees, sports fees, driver's ed, etc.

The "system" does not want to remove anyone from this program. The more the merrier as the schools are awarded some type of grants / funding based on how many "low income" students they have. Low income students are counted by using this program. They do not want to lose these funds!

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: December 18, 2010 11:56PM

Then we as taxpayers need to complain. The kids of the taxpayers lose if this is the case. The schools offer less to compensate for the extra expenses of the families who are expecting everything to be covered for their kids. I would suspect half of the kids cause some of the trouble going on in the schools and really do not want to be there. Some of those are the ones that I see walking the streets during school time. I have to pay for sports for my kids an free and reduced kids don't pay and the also don't have to pay the $200 parking permit. How can they afford a car, insurance and gas if they are on free and reduced lunch?

Date: December 18, 2010 11:58PM

The 'system' also doesn't audit your tax returns unless you go completely crazy with deductibles . . . the 'system' doesn't ticket everyone who breaks the speed limit . . . If you want to rely on some kind of bureaucratic bullshit to determine whether kids are eligible for free lunch or not give me a break.

You're probably the same types that want less government regulation over everything.

Posted by: more curious ()
Date: December 19, 2010 12:17AM

It is not fair to the honest hardworking parent that makes a couple thousand over the limit. It is not just a lunch but 10 months worth on breakfast, lunches, $100 per sport per child, $200 parking permit, course fee for some subjects that are $35 to $75 per semester. Some parents their child has to choose. Then those parents that have jobs paying more than the honest person but want someone else to pay their child expenses. That is what is wrong. You have to agree. Not to mention kids that don't even live in Fairfax County we are educating.

Date: December 19, 2010 01:30AM

Listen, your child doesn't need to drive to school, that's -$200 for the parking pass, your child doesn't have to play sports, that's -$100, if you don't want to pay for art materials or wood for the shop don't take those courses. These are all voluntary expenses. . . .

The fact that you have dropped your 'anti free lunch' argument makes me think that you understand how subsides can be beneficial for a school, and society at large.

You're not really going to argue that some kids should not be fed in a school cafeteria because they cannot afford it- are you?

We've already established that some kind of mass-income 'free lunch' irs-style auditing would be an invasion of privacy, government bureaucratic madness, and inefficient in itself, right?

The idea that there's some kind of mass cheating system for 'free lunch' subsides in general makes me think there's something more going on here:

Times are tight, it seems like some people are taking the short road, cheating the system, and you're the one getting screwed . . .

Don't worry about it that much, let it pass. . . these cheaters aren't the real problem, and, in some form, they will always exist. The thing about society is, even though some people suck, and cheat, and are liars, most people seem to be trying to do whats right.

Just tell your kid to get a f*ing job to pay for his own sh*t!

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: December 19, 2010 02:00AM

it's Enron all over again. This is going to bring down the republic, I agree.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: December 19, 2010 02:36AM

I had some friends who were on reduced lunch, yet their families made more money than mine. One of them even purchased a $500,000 - $600,000 house, yet they were on reduced lunch assistance, at college too (Where they received tuition assistance, housing aid, and so forth).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: change ()
Date: December 19, 2010 06:18AM

That just isn't right. The system was put in place to help the people who really need help. Those people are saying you tax payers pick up the tab for my kids so I can continue my lifestyle. What isn't it checked? Why do we let people do this? I would like to know how many people get this and really do not qualify. How can we change what is going on?

Posted by: Dig Dug ()
Date: December 19, 2010 06:38AM

I thought you had to provide a W-2?

Date: December 19, 2010 08:33AM

Dig Dug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought you had to provide a W-2?

Yes, IF you are audited.......

Posted by: cdg ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:00AM

Does anyone know what proof a person has to show other than filling out the form? Everyone gets that form in the school mail.

Posted by: what child would want that label? ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:00AM

No kid at school wants to be known as a "free lunch" kid. I don't see many people cheating the system. Who would want to admit they are poor? Plus kids hate the lunch served at school.

Posted by: mmm ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:17AM

I just asked my kids - one in middle school the other high school if they know if kids have free lunch and they said the kids brag about it. Then they tell the kids how their parents "work the system" what ever that means. With so much being cut from the schools budget this is staring to wonder why they are not catching the people that are lying.

Posted by: Tasteless Lunch ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:21AM

> ...Plus kids hate the lunch served at school.

The food served by the (self-supporting) food service of FCPS has been getting worse and worse as the admin folks who don't visit the schools make their decisions on nutritional content. The complaints about minor things like...you know...taste have been increasing overtly and covertly for years. Little packets of ketchup are highly in demand, yet those same admin folks mandated ONE per entree (try THAT on your nonmeat noncheese-burger). The little packets of hot sauce are gone, of course, so that fantastic way to disguise the lack of flavor is right out.

Eventually the food service will start losing money and employees will get laid off rather than the real cause - bad food - getting fixed.

At many schools the payment system is set up so kids don't (have to) reveal publicly that their food is reduced or free; just type in their number and make a "payment" (until recently, BTW, there was MAJOR theft/fraud with this payment system - not due to free lunch but due to stolen numbers being used multiple times - now an image of the number-owner is used to verify proper use).

Posted by: I pack my kids lunch ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:26AM

My son swears they reheat old food. He also said the milk is not cold. Gross! It is easy and cheaper to make the kids lunch. I feel bad for the kids whose parents are too lazy to do this.

Date: December 19, 2010 09:28AM

loosers Wrote:
> Dig Dug Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I thought you had to provide a W-2?
>
>
> Yes, IF you are audited.......

I thought when you sent the paper work back in you had to attach your W-2. I guess I will have to look at those papers next time we get them.

I saw a lady pay for the expensive baby formula with food stamps and leave in a newer model Lexus...WTF!

Date: December 19, 2010 09:29AM

cdg Wrote:
> Does anyone know what proof a person has to show
> other than filling out the form? Everyone gets
> that form in the school mail.

Unless you are audited you don't have to provide any proof. If audited you are asked to submit documentation, i.e., W-2, pay stubs, court papers showing child support, etc. Now if you're making $75,000 and say your income is $0 then I don't know how / if they would catch you. Like I said before they really don't want to catch you. Do a search on cheating the free and reduced lunch program and you could be reading for a long time........

Posted by: NeedChange ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:38AM

Then it is a time for change. Since the economy they way it is and most people do not have extra money, epecially at Christmas time, and reading about this scam of Free and Reduced lunch or county budgets or federal budgets this needs to stop. Maybe political person should start looking into it all. I have not really thought about it till reading this. If this is true county employees need to check out what people are submitting. I will call my child's school tomorrow and ask for a form to see what all is involved. I just throw it away when it comes.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:44AM

I agree. We always picked on and made fun of the free lunch kids, it was actually really nasty behavior now that I think back on it. Don't subject your kids to stuff like that just so you can scam a few bucks a week. I don't remember anyone abusing the program either, it was mostly used by the dirtbag kids who wore shitty clothing to school because there parents were losers. That's not a cool stigma to have when you're a teenager, don't force it upon your kids.

what child would want that label? Wrote:
> No kid at school wants to be known as a "free
> lunch" kid. I don't see many people cheating the
> system. Who would want to admit they are poor?
> Plus kids hate the lunch served at school.

Posted by: really ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:50AM

I just checked the profile of the school where my child goes to school and it is 46%. Do you really think that half the school really qualifies for free and reduced lunch.

Posted by: dad2 ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:16AM

All children should get basic lunch meal and milk or juice at taxpayer cost. This would be an outstanding value for the taxpayer in the long run. Selfish people who choose not to have or adopt children yet benefit from living in an educated society should pay even higher taxes than they already do to make up the difference.
I think its reasonable to charge the kids money for breakfast and for items that are not on the basic lunch menu.
Educating these kids benifits everyone so everyone should pay.

Posted by: how it works ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:18AM

There is no stigma involved because the kids use numbers--each kid has a number and the kid punches the number (like a PIN) into a keypad that is attached to the cash register. Either the kid's account gets automatically reduced (the parent prepays into the account via the computer---and that system is a scam,but that's another story) or the system recognizes the kid as a "free or reduced lunch" and does not charge or does not charge as much. And, I suppose, some kids bring cash. In some elementary schools, they use plastic cards instead of numbers. Nobody knows who is on free lunch. But the kids do brag and other kids want to know how to get lunch. It's not like when we were kids and we were embarrassed to take free lunch. It's a badge of honor now. Go figure. The other thing is that some kids have to buy two lunches (especially boys in high school) because the amount of food is not enough. Those kids are really paying a lot for lunch and are "subsidizing the free lunchers".

Another thing---the free lunch program is used as the definition of "low income" for the testing subgroup statistics. Thus, if higher income people sign up for free lunch, the system may be able to show that we are closing the "achievement gap" and making "AYP"---adequate yearly progress for purposes of meeting the requirements of NCLB. That is a good thing and would further the goals of the county. This is just one of the "unintended consequences" of having the fed try to run local schools. There will always be ways to game the feds and the locals will encourage it (by not checking on incomes of these kids getting free lunch). If the feds give the money, they should really be the ones checking, but they are not. Apparently the feds have not been regulating lots of things.

Of course, as one poster noted above, the income levels for getting free lunch are very low---especially for this high cost of living area we are in. This fact may make people rationalize lying on the form. I'm not saying that this is the right thing to do---just saying that people justify their actions.

Posted by: responsible parent ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:22AM

This sounds like Reston and Route 1 "Entitlment" . What is wrong with them taking responsibility?????????????????????????? They wants these programs so they can get the I-pods, cars, computers and expensive phones. They are also the parents that yell the most

Posted by: plm ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:25AM

Dad2 you are so right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Josey Wales ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:31AM

My friend applied for the energy assistance program. She makes next to nothing in salary yet did not qualify. The lady told her now if you had two kids with no father around then you do qualify. Nice message the government sends out to have as many kids as you can and if at all possible keep the father out of the picture.

Date: December 19, 2010 10:59AM

Check this chart out. What do you guys think of theses numbers?

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/incomeguidelines.htm

Date: December 19, 2010 11:05AM

Here are the current income guidelines for the free and reduced lunch program. This chart is listed as ending 6/30/10 but it states on that page somewhere that these numbers also apply to THIS school year.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/notices/iegs/IEGs09-10.pdf

Date: December 19, 2010 11:10AM

loosers Wrote:
> Here are the current income guidelines for the
> free and reduced lunch program. This chart is
> listed as ending 6/30/10 but it states on that
> page somewhere that these numbers also apply to
> THIS school year.
>
> http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/notices/ieg
> s/IEGs09-10.pdf

Guess I was a little late with that one......................

Posted by: plm ()
Date: December 19, 2010 11:10AM

The free lunch is the stepping stone to all the other benefits the kids get that parents should be paying

Posted by: grammar time ()
Date: December 19, 2010 12:53PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> because there parents were losers.

LOL @ "there parents." Sign of a really outstanding education. Something tells me you are not in a position to decide who the "losers" are.

Posted by: Free lunch ()
Date: December 19, 2010 02:21PM

I think a new law was passed that breakfast, lunch and dinner will all be free for those that apply. What a mess. How about everyone just bring a lunch from home?
If you cannot afford your kids lunch you should not have kids. Just a thought not a sermon.

Date: December 19, 2010 03:26PM

Washington Post did an article on this Sunday, how timely-
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/17/AR2010121702561.html

5 MYTHS ABOUT SCHOOL FOOD:

1. School meals are free for the children who really need them.

This is certainly the intent of the National School Lunch and Breakfast programs, which offer free and reduced meals to children, based on their families' income, as well as full-price meals to any student. Currently, students are eligible for free meals if that income is below 130 percent of the federal poverty line -- $23,803 for a family of three, for instance -- and for reduced-price meals if it is somewhat higher -- up to $33,874 for that family of three.

Unfortunately, these thresholds are unrealistically low, especially in areas with high living costs. The 2008 Household Food Security survey by the U.S. Department of Agriculture found that more than a fifth of households with the most severe form of food insecurity -- in which children themselves sometimes went without meals -- had incomes above the cutoff for reduced price school meals.

Even some children whose family incomes are low enough to qualify for free school meals never actually get them. The process for establishing eligibility is cumbersome, expensive and prone to mistakes. In a recent USDA study, more than a third of children denied certification for free or reduced price meals were found to have been denied in error. And even after getting approval, at some schools a child must wait each time as a cafeteria cashier checks eligibility.
ad_icon

Finally, there is a stigma attached to free meals, which deters some families from applying and discourages some students from eating the meals for which they qualify. Direct certification, a process in which state or local welfare agencies notify schools of eligible children, has been shown to reduce mistakes and bring more kids into the program. The new law contains a modest expansion of that procedure. But the only way to fully eliminate the errors, the administrative burden and the stigma, is to provide school meals the way we provide books, desks and chairs: free for all.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: December 19, 2010 05:30PM

Per FCPS website:

"Families who earn less than 130 percent of the poverty level are eligible for free meals and those with incomes between 130 and 185 percent of poverty level qualify for reduced price meals. Today, approximately 24 percent of the student enrollment qualify for free and reduced price meals. The prices for paid breakfast and lunch are determined by the School Board and the price of reduced price meals are established by the federal government."

My math that indicates that a family of 4 with income around $40,000 per year could qualify for reduced price lunches, and thereby qualify for a basket of other freebies from the County. While that may sound low by this area's standards, remember that there are many in this area (self employed, commission employees, recently separated) that could occasionally drop below this threshold, yet normally live a middle class lifestyle. Used to be that most of these borderline cases wouldn't apply but as Mr Dylan said the times they are achangin.

I don't know how well Fairfax polices these things. However if you are bothered by it that much, next time you are around one of these abusers when they start running their mouth, pull out your cell phone and start recording it. You can then take it to whoever polices these things, post it on your Facebook page or whatever.

Posted by: my school has no free lunch kids ()
Date: December 19, 2010 05:49PM

Guess my school?

Posted by: Let Me See ()
Date: December 19, 2010 05:55PM

You home school your kids.

Posted by: Josey Wales ()
Date: December 19, 2010 06:02PM

my school has no free lunch kids Wrote:
> Guess my school?

I guess the Catholic HS in Fairfax. Maybe lunch is part of some package deal with tuition

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: December 19, 2010 06:25PM

I never once ate lunch in school. Not once. I'd eat when I got home.

Posted by: FCPS food is gross ()
Date: December 19, 2010 06:32PM

All they serve is junk. I feel sorry for the kids who do not have a choice. My mom has always made my lunch. I think it is cheaper too.

Posted by: Carol J ()
Date: December 19, 2010 07:52PM

THere should be an o

Posted by: What the F Carole J ()
Date: December 19, 2010 08:22PM

Option?

Posted by: Pat ()
Date: December 20, 2010 06:31PM

Mount Vernon HS can tell you about the free and reduced program.

Date: December 20, 2010 07:53PM

Just like when minorities don't pay their electric bills they get grant applications in the mail and payment plan applications. When illegal spics are involved in illegal activity, there is always some casa de maryland-esque pro-bono lawyer willing to jump through hoops for them. But yet if some kids parents don't make enough and are on public assistance, they are labeled "dirt bags" by liberal Democrat minority pieces of shit like 'TheMeeper'. I bet that nigger 'TheMeeper' was holding back on calling their parents 'rednecks' maybe that's because 'TheMeeper' remembers all those $160 dollar Nike Air Jordan wearing problem-child niggy babies that were ALL *PROUD* possessors of "Free Lunch" tickets.

Posted by: How about we all pay for are own kids? ()
Date: December 20, 2010 08:15PM

If you cannot afford lunch for your child you should have used birth control. Hello people, the pill has been around since the 60's. Plus men could wrap it up too.

Date: December 20, 2010 08:38PM

GAB EHCUOD = 'repeeMehT' Wrote:
> that's because 'TheMeeper' remembers all
> those $160 dollar Nike Air Jordan wearing
> problem-child niggy babies that were ALL *PROUD*
> possessors of "Free Lunch" tickets.

We didn't have black or hispanic kids where I grew up. It's funny you mention the sneaker thing though. I had a sweet pair of Air Jordan high-tops, at the time I was surprised my parents let buy such an expensive pair of sneakers. Those fuckers were comfortable and lasted forever. The white trash kids, well, the dumb poser ones wore K-Mart Jordans. Plasticy red-white-and-black ripoffs they found for 30 bucks at the local K-Mart.

We made fun of that shit too. All the time.

Dirtbags who wore K-Mart Jordans and got free lunch tickets were constant objects of scorn and ridicule during my childhood.

Date: December 20, 2010 09:01PM

TheMeeper = Plasticy Red, White and Black Fake-Me-Out Payless/Kmart Nike Air Jordan knock-off shoe wearing niggy baby, -who's parents didn't give a fuck about enough about him to give him their crack money/foodstamp money so that he could feel he was better than the poor country honkeys because his parents realised he was just a worthless cock roach colored shit-stain pauper nigger tar-baby.

TAKES A REAL NIGGER TO THINK A PAIR OF *CHEAP* CHINESE MADE SHOES MAKES YOU A BETTER MAN.

GO BOUNCE A BASKET BALL YOU FUCKING OBNOXIOUS SPEAR CHUCKER.

Date: December 20, 2010 09:06PM

'TheMeeper' wrote :
----------------------------------------
> 'we made fun if that stuff too"

YEAH, I WOULD BET MY LIFE SAVING YOU WERE THE SAME LOSER GETTING MADE FUN OF A A KID, THAT YOU ARE NOW AS AN ADULT.

BUT THANKS FOR THE INDEPTH -"BLACK RED AND WHITE" GLIMPSE INTO YOUR
PATHETIC EXISTENCE AS A YOUNG WELFARE VOUCHER, KNOCK-OFF JORDAN WEARING LOSER CHILDHOOD THAT WAS YOURS.

Posted by: deprived ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:10PM

My parents had money but would not buy any of us that expensive pair of shoes. We learned how to save for retirement so we would not depend on anyone else.

Date: December 20, 2010 09:29PM

THEMEEPER = STUPID NIGGER Wrote:
> TheMeeper = Plasticy Red, White and Black
> Fake-Me-Out Payless/Kmart Nike Air Jordan
> knock-off shoe wearing niggy baby, -who's parents
> didn't give a fuck about enough about him to give
> him their crack money/foodstamp money so that he
> could feel he was better than the poor country
> honkeys because his parents realised he was just a
> worthless cock roach colored shit-stain pauper
> nigger tar-baby.
>
> TAKES A REAL NIGGER TO THINK A PAIR OF *CHEAP*
> CHINESE MADE SHOES MAKES YOU A BETTER MAN.
>
> GO BOUNCE A BASKET BALL YOU FUCKING OBNOXIOUS
> SPEAR CHUCKER.

I'll end this with our typical 8th grade taunt:

"Haha, you're Dad is poor!!"

Posted by: taxesgotmymoney ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:43PM

Sticks and stones can break my bones - now get on the subject of the free lunch program that all the schools have and us as tax payers pay for it

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:58PM

I say we go to a pay for what you use system. If you go to school you pay for school. This system would lower taxes for everyone. No kid you don't pay for school. You want to drive you pay a road fee.

Posted by: oinky oink ()
Date: December 20, 2010 10:38PM

I just asked my kid too. She said all her hottest friends brag about being on the free lunch program and then they get rich little nerdy boys to buy them extra food.

Posted by: Davis ()
Date: December 20, 2010 11:37PM

I remember my freshman year of hs (03) kids who had reduced or free lunches were secretive about it and you heard it secondhand, (he gets free lunch) by my senior year kids were flaunting it thinking it was funny or cool or something.(I never found out) You need a license for everything in this country exept for having kids. Raising a child, despite being the most important, challenging and having the farthest reaching consequences is open to anybody. You can be as stupid and poor as you want and have 8 kids who dont weigh on you...just everyone else. and since it weighs on everyone else the kids dont realize that they're a weight on america as a whole, and feel free to have 4 kids with 3 different girls by the time they're 25 cause their dumbass mom (no dad) is/was too stupid to instill any realistic sense in them about morals,money and relationships. Boom- theres crime, poverty and the idiocy of youth in america in one. You wanna know why the 'man' is still around? its cause 'square' white people generally dont have kids unless they can support them, and they parent them such that they become successfull and assume positions of influence and authority.

Posted by: agree ()
Date: December 21, 2010 05:11AM

Davis everything you said is 100% actual. I volunteer at a high school and it makes me wonder why I the kids are rude and think the deserve everything if they don't get it they are very loud ad demanding. One of their favorite lines is my mother is going to call the school board. I very seldom see any other person other than a white person volunteering. The white kids do have more self repect. There might occasionally but the one bad apple.

Posted by: free lunch=rude ()
Date: December 21, 2010 08:22AM

We need to do away with the free lunch for any child out of elementary school. I bet these parents have cell phones, flat screen tv's, cable, and video games. Enough already. The parents should also prove they legal to live here.

Posted by: broke ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:13PM

If you have free lunch and almost free housing you get a cell phone with 60 minutes a month for free. Bet you didn't know that. Found out last week myself.

Posted by: Liar ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:22PM

Prove the free cell phone. Is this given by the state of Virginia? I hope this is false.

PS I bet it is the same folks who get free lunch. They are looking to scam the system every chance they can get.

Posted by: ObamaPhone ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:33PM

Liar Wrote:
> Prove the free cell phone. Is this given by the
> state of Virginia? I hope this is false.
>
> PS I bet it is the same folks who get free lunch.
> They are looking to scam the system every chance
> they can get.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/home.aspx

aka the Obamaphone.

If you ask me, that phone should be neon green and have the word parasite on the screen as the background.

Posted by: numbers don't add up ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:40PM

The county should definitely do an audit and verify eligibility.

Many schools have FRM populations in excess of 40%.

Even if you live in a modest single family house in Annandale or Springfield you are looking at a minimum of $2000 per month on rent for a 3 bedroom house.

So how does someone CLAIM to make $40k yet live in a neighborhood where JUST rent is running $24k per year. Add in utilities, car payment, etc...no way.

It does not add up.

There must be underreported income going on. Restaurant workers (tips), cab drivers, whatever.

This is getting old. The rest of us are paying for the fraud. Time to do something about it.

Posted by: Fairfax county can't get shit right ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:56PM

Just ask the parents at Clifton elementary. Oh and I think no child at Clifton has ever asked for a free lunch.

Date: December 21, 2010 06:58PM

For the cell phone do a google for Safelink. Govt gives a phone and 60 minutes a month and if they pay 5 dollars they get 250 minutes.

Posted by: To broke ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:59PM

I am sorry. You were right. Now how can we stop this BS. My taxes are paying for free cell phones? I now feel like a sucker for working so hard.

Posted by: Ling Ling ()
Date: December 21, 2010 07:05PM

Every morning on my way to work, I used to stop by McDonalds for breakfast. Now that I'm enrolled in the "Free and reduced lunch program", I just go by the nearest school cafeteria for my free breakfast!

Thanks FCPS!

Posted by: Who thought of this? ()
Date: December 21, 2010 07:06PM

I am so angry. Our gov't is just giving it away. Who knew?

PS I am going to try and get a phone and see if anyone can do it. I will report back.

Date: December 21, 2010 07:18PM

It has gotton to a point where someone or politician needs to really look what is going on in out country. I don't want to sound mean but there has to come a time when people start taking responsibility for themselves. By helping people all the time they are not trying to help themself. I don't mean for a random time in someones life but the ones who are one it forever and their parent was on forever. There (in the eyes) is no need to better themself. They do get everything for free.
Here is a list of things that I know :
Housing - some 100% or 85%. Might only have to pay $150 on $1850
Utilities - Voulters - some up to $400 (electric or gas)
Food stamps
Free and reduced lunch - covers all school expenses
Cell phone
Medical - medicaid
Child Care
In the grand picture - why work - just lets the ones that are working now take care of 3 other families.
Sorry at Christmas time when I am trying to get things for my family I see how much goes to ones that want the govt to pay their way and I get a little angry. My family does with less and people who dont work get a lot more than I do. And they have the nerve to complain.
At my office we collected to help a family and the person we helped came in and wanted the receipts because she wanted "nicer" so she would reture and add money to it and get something better for her daughter.
People feel entitled not thankful.

Date: December 21, 2010 07:21PM

Please let me know about the phone. I am so sorry for venting.

Posted by: Dole is more than bananas and senators! ()
Date: December 21, 2010 07:21PM

broke Wrote:
> People feel entitled not thankful.

I'm thankful for my free entitlements. Now go out and pay more taxes so my standard of living increases, jackass! You owe me!

Thanks!

Posted by: To Mr. Dole ()
Date: December 21, 2010 07:51PM

Why not, Mr Dole, whats one more person.

Posted by: I will now stop giving. ()
Date: December 21, 2010 08:27PM

I see this and I am done with giving donations. Those living in Nothern Va do not need help. I can now save more. Thank you for letting me see the light.

PS God helps those who help themselves.

Posted by: Work for a living ()
Date: December 21, 2010 09:59PM

I will now stop giving. Wrote:
> I see this and I am done with giving donations.
> Those living in Nothern Va do not need help. I can
> now save more. Thank you for letting me see the
> light.
>
> PS God helps those who help themselves.

Agreed. I was in Mexico last week on vacation. There was a fundraiser at a local bar for the "dump kids." The poor there live in a landfill. It looks like it's straight from one of those old Sally Struthers donation commercials. There are no jobs. There is little to no social welfare. You either work and live a decent life or you don't work and you live in a landfill.

Here, people are just lazy and live off the system. Screw them.

I'll never give another penny to the poor in the US.

Posted by: MuffDiver ()
Date: December 21, 2010 10:13PM

What gets me about this program...the student says they are free and reduced lunch, but bust out a damn Iphone and sporting an expensive pair of shows and has a North Face to match. How is this free/reduced. Working the system

Posted by: to work ()
Date: December 22, 2010 05:15AM

On my way to my first job and today is my part time job in the evenig so I can afford to pay for my family and someone elses while they sleep till 11 and the go out to lunch with their money while I and everyone else that works pays for their kids. The American deram is wonderful. And in some cases you don' even had to speak english. If you are poor or illegal life is grand.

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: December 22, 2010 11:01AM

I pack my kids lunch Wrote:
> My son swears they reheat old food. He also said
> the milk is not cold. Gross! It is easy and
> cheaper to make the kids lunch. I feel bad for the
> kids whose parents are too lazy to do this.

Really?? I've looked over my elementary school child's menus and they are awesome, in my opinion! They offer so many vegan, allergy & general choices. We've just recently moved from Waples Mill school zone to Signal Hill in Manassas and both the menus and quality are comparable.

Are you people referring to middle and high school lunches, maybe?

Posted by: To Elle ()
Date: December 22, 2010 12:06PM

That is great if your kids will eat it but my kids will not. I can make a better lunch at less cost. Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, low-fat cheese sticks, H20 and a cookie. Who is too lazy to do that?

Plus I am not on the free lunch program.

Date: December 22, 2010 12:10PM

My son is 6...And lunch is $2.10/day. How much cheaper does it really need to be?

I make his lunches at times, as well. I do think it depends on the school as far as taste and quality are concerned.

Date: December 22, 2010 12:11PM

Also, his school lunches do consist of choices such as whole wheat, multigrain, etc...

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: December 22, 2010 12:22PM

Elle Diabla Wrote:
> My son is 6...And lunch is $2.10/day. How much
> cheaper does it really need to be?
>
> I make his lunches at times, as well. I do think
> it depends on the school as far as taste and
> quality are concerned.

Ummm.....Its $2.65...So, perhaps you're bullshitting us (or you're not in Fairfax, which makes things more interesting)........................Perhaps Manassas? Fits the M.O.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 12:25PM by ITRADE.

Date: December 22, 2010 12:45PM

Wtf is the M.O. you are referring to?

I live on the border of Clifton and the Manassas Park...Nothing close to ghetto here, if that's what you're trying to push out here.

$2.65, huh? Still incredibly cheap. Well, maybe I'm incorrect on the price, but my opinions and views on the quality of choices still stands.

Date: December 22, 2010 01:37PM

I didnt think there was anything nice about Manassas Park. Fits perfectly though.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: December 22, 2010 01:40PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> I didnt think there was anything nice about
> Manassas Park. Fits perfectly though.

Manassas Park is a fucking dump. One of my in-laws lived over there for a time. Seriously - there's nothing good about it unless you like illegal immigrants, white trash, teenage pregnancy, and meth.

Date: December 22, 2010 01:57PM

Don't forget DIRTY ILLEGAL-DAYLABORER MEXICAN IMMIGRANTS,
because that's all that's left in Manassas now !

Posted by: Signal Hill school and PWC ()
Date: December 22, 2010 02:31PM

Signal Hill has a trailer park village behind it. It is also near Manassas Park. I have friends who moved out of PWC since the schools are not as good as Fairfax. Just look at the % rate of kids who finish high school. It is low.

Hey, but the lunches are wonderful.

Date: December 22, 2010 03:42PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> I didnt think there was anything nice about
> Manassas Park. Fits perfectly though.

Not sure what you're getting at, but you should've stopped at 'think'.

This is an aerial shot of where I live. We just moved here in November. I don't see any trailers, but, your desperate attempts are cute.
Attachments:
aerialview.jpg

Date: December 22, 2010 03:43PM

Signal Hill school and PWC Wrote:
> Signal Hill has a trailer park village behind it.
> It is also near Manassas Park. I have friends who
> moved out of PWC since the schools are not as good
> as Fairfax. Just look at the % rate of kids who
> finish high school. It is low.
>
>
> Hey, but the lunches are wonderful.

It's a good school. Better to raise my child here, away from pompous arrogance and congestion that is Fairfax.

Much more peaceful.

Date: December 22, 2010 03:44PM

SASSANAM = PMUD REROBALYAD Wrote:
> Don't forget DIRTY ILLEGAL-DAYLABORER MEXICAN
> IMMIGRANTS,
> because that's all that's left in Manassas now !

Sure, if you shop at the Walmart on Liberia. It's disgusting and I've learned my lesson to stay away. I'll stay between Costco and Harris Teeter.

Date: December 22, 2010 03:46PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> ITRADE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I didnt think there was anything nice about
> > Manassas Park. Fits perfectly though.
>
>
> Manassas Park is a fucking dump. One of my
> in-laws lived over there for a time. Seriously -
> there's nothing good about it unless you like
> illegal immigrants, white trash, teenage
> pregnancy, and meth.

Yep, just like most inner cities, they are nasty.

Almighy Fairfax is not immune to nasty areas, lest you forget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 03:46PM by Elle Diabla.

Posted by: If you are Spanish.. ()
Date: December 22, 2010 03:52PM

Your kids will fit right in.

Posted by: Where is the school on your map? ()
Date: December 22, 2010 04:00PM

What % of free lunch does Signal Hill have?

PS I will stay here in elite Fairfax county. I don't live in the ghetto area.

PSS Also Faifax was named as the top in jobs and money producers in the country.

Date: December 22, 2010 04:03PM

>
>

Oh, by the way...aerial of Signal Hill Elem...Where's the trailer park, for argument's sake?
Attachments:
notrailers.jpg

Date: December 22, 2010 04:04PM

Where is the school on your map? Wrote:
> What % of free lunch does Signal Hill have?
>
> PS I will stay here in elite Fairfax county. I
> don't live in the ghetto area.
>
> PSS Also Faifax was named as the top in jobs and
> money producers in the country.

I haven't a clue what the percentage is, but since you're so educated, Mr. Anonymous, why don't you tell me?

On a side note: I saw a WAY higher percentage of hispanics at Waples Mill elementary than I have seen here @ Signal Hill...

Posted by: To Elle ()
Date: December 22, 2010 04:11PM

Glad you love Manassas! Now stay off the Fairfax county underground. You can now make up your own site for PWC.

Date: December 22, 2010 04:15PM

>
>

Lastly, here are the boundaries for Signal Hill...No inner city of Manassas getting bused in. Also, I'd like to know who graduates high school from en elementary school? (Since, you have chosen to attack the area on your assumptions).
Attachments:
boundary1.jpg
boundary2.jpg
boundary3.jpg
boundary4.jpg

Date: December 22, 2010 04:15PM

To Elle Wrote:
> Glad you love Manassas! Now stay off the Fairfax
> county underground. You can now make up your own
> site for PWC.

Aww, is someone upset?

Posted by: I just looked at your last post ()
Date: December 22, 2010 04:25PM

In a previous post YOU called your area ghetto. You know the post about the stores on Libera Ave? Those that are right around the corner from Signal Hill school. That is where you live? Haha

Date: December 22, 2010 04:34PM

I just looked at your last post Wrote:
> In a previous post YOU called your area ghetto.
> You know the post about the stores on Libera Ave?
> Those that are right around the corner from Signal
> Hill school. That is where you live? Haha

I never called WHERE I LIVE, ghetto. I called the areas that I specifically referred to as a place where ghettofabulous folk congregate...

Every single store is laden with minorities in Fairfax, who's to talk here? The ONLY places that aren't, are Wholefoods, Target, and Wegmans.

Just like here...only I shop at Harris Teeter now, since nearest Wegmans is too far.

Please, let me know where you go to shop for groceries and general items? I suppose you have everything driven to you by your personal assistant?

lol! Your reality is humourous!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 04:34PM by Elle Diabla.

Date: December 22, 2010 04:52PM

You should look ate Meghan's list report for that area. Sheesh.

Posted by: To itrade ()
Date: December 22, 2010 05:03PM

I did not understand you. Please write back.

Posted by: Elle is a liar, look up her past posts ()
Date: December 22, 2010 07:57PM

Good living in Manassas! NOT!

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.