HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Townhouse - expenses?
Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: September 13, 2007 11:13AM

Hi all,

I am interesting in find out from those of you who lives in a townhouses - how much your utilities are.

I am interested in 2, 3 or more level townhouses, doesnt matter what area.

How much are you paying for power?
How much for gas?
How much for water?

ALL PER MONTH...

Just the major expenses.

Also, if any of you lived in a single family house before and moved to TH since, please share your view on reduction, if any, of above expenses.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Townhouse - expenses?
Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: September 13, 2007 11:32AM

Dominion Va Power - approx 120.00/month
Washington Gas - approx 35.00/month even in winter
LCSA - trash and water - approx 68.00/month

You may want to add costs to this depending on the number of people in your family - as the above is just for one person in a 3 level townhome.

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: September 13, 2007 12:24PM

Dang Tia2,

1 person with all of those floors? What do you do with all of the extra rooms?

;~)

Date: September 13, 2007 01:20PM

Let's see.

The master bedroom is mine, one guest bedroom is decorated to be just that, the 2nd guest room is my office etc., the living room, dining room, and kitchen are rarely used except to exit onto the middle level deck that has a gazebo with deep seating furniture under it, the family room is where I hang especially in the winter because it has a remote controlled gas fireplace, the garage is used for my car, and the lower level back yard is an all slate patio with a table, chairs and 2 lounges.

Why do you ask?

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 13, 2007 01:21PM

I lived in a four level(strange layout) townhouse for a while by myself. Electric heat and stove. The utilities and extra's ran about $600.00 a month. That's power, phone, cable\internet & water, etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2007 01:23PM by Lurker..

Date: September 13, 2007 01:25PM

Tia2 has it about right, your milage may vary depending on season. A/C run off electric will cost you more in electric bills in summer but less in gas bills. Heating run off gas will cost more in gas bills in winter but less electric... etc. My water bills are much, much less though, and I dont know how much it is for garbage in my area. Also take into account any HOA fees.

Date: September 13, 2007 01:44PM

Whoops -
HOA fees - $178.00/quarter...

Posted by: j ()
Date: September 13, 2007 02:53PM

$200.00 per mo/NOVEC Power
$70.00 every 3 months/Fairfax Water
$35.00 per mo in summer & $90 in winter/Washington Gas

There are 3 of us in a 3 level townhouse - and btw we are trying to get out of our lease so if anyone knows of anyone looking...http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/419601874.html

Posted by: slimey ()
Date: September 13, 2007 04:04PM

How much floor space? How high the ceilings? Perhaps if the current owner would
share that info with you. Homeowners Association fees are important. How much do
they go up each year? I moved from a small single family home in South Arlington
to a TH in Fairfax. Better deal. Electric stove and heat/AC. Better deal there too
because the electricity rates dont fluctuate nearly as much as gas sometimes can.
Neighbors expect you to keep the stereo down too. No problem for me but my son sometimes had a problem with volume of guitar amp before he went off to college.
Pets? Any restrictions? Parking is sometimes a problem. This development was built
back in 70 when most households only had one or two cars. Now they have 3-4.
I like living here much better than S. Arlington. One of the primary reasons for
moving was to get my kids away from the Future Gangsters of America along Columbia
Pike and Four Mile Run. Later, my kids told me that the other kids at FFx HS were
too busy spending money on themselves to join a gang. English is more frequently spoken here too.
here too.

Posted by: Henry R. ()
Date: September 13, 2007 09:16PM

Tia2,
I can move in tomorrow, if you let me pay your monthly townhouse expenses.

I am very fit. I've never been successfully convicted of a violent crime. I have excellent diction.

AND MORE!

Posted by: ladymacb29 ()
Date: September 22, 2007 10:42PM

If you're seriously looking at places, the realtor who is listing should be able to find out the average utilities of the property for you.

Too much information about electricity?
Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: September 26, 2007 04:38PM

We pay just under $100/month in electric in our 35-year-old 3 br townhouse, but I'm guessing others tend to pay more. Have electric everything (stove, HVAC, dryer). Being a middle unit definitely helps--when we go out of town in winter and shut our HVAC off, the house doesn't get below 60, probably. Sorry, neighbors, if we're sucking up your heat.

I think it used to be more, but have installed almost all compact fluorescent light bulbs. It should be noted that we don't turn down the heat/AC during the day b/c my wife is home with the kids. I'm sure it would be significantly less if we both worked (have a programmable thermostat)

Re: Too much information about electricity?
Posted by: Moron ()
Date: September 29, 2007 09:02AM

One of the disadvantages on living in a townhouse community is that your RE taxes that you pay do not go towards the upkeep on roads, sidewalks, and other infrastructure. Your HOA is responsible for those items. If the HOA has not sufficiently provided adequate reserves, you might be left with an expensive surprise. You should look at the HOA financial statements before you move.

Re: Too much information about electricity?
Posted by: no-cop ()
Date: October 02, 2007 06:49PM

Moron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the disadvantages on living in a townhouse
> community is that your RE taxes that you pay do
> not go towards the upkeep on roads, sidewalks, and
> other infrastructure. Your HOA is responsible for
> those items. If the HOA has not sufficiently
> provided adequate reserves, you might be left with
> an expensive surprise. You should look at the HOA
> financial statements before you move.

Yep, this is true. Luckily my HOA has plenty in "Reserve" and re-did the sidewalks and Private streets.

It is also your resoponsibility to clear snow from t he sidewalk in front of your home, eve though you don't "own" it. You are responsible.

Make sure you get a copy of the By-Laws for the HOA at settlement.

Date: October 05, 2007 02:44PM

That reminds me...

We just faced off with our Board of Directors regarding shoveling. We all shovel the sidewalk in front of our homes in addition to our driveways, while the common area sidewalks remain snow and ice covered.

We pointed out the VA ordinance at a Board meeting emphasizing the fines, and voila - common area sidewalks will now be shoveled by Brinkman.

I guess a little intimidation goes a long way...

Date: October 05, 2007 02:45PM

decided against TH.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: October 05, 2007 03:37PM

did you go condo?

vaburbia.com

Date: October 05, 2007 04:19PM

No, I went single family.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.