HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Legal system question here.
Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: September 11, 2007 06:05PM

I have a question that I just know that one of my helpful fellow F.U.ers can hopefully answer for me.

Someone I used to be friends with committed a crime. A pretty bad one. They decided to plead guilty before their hearing (was supposed to be on Monday 9/17). How does that work? I mean do they still go in on the 17 and plead then? And then how long before sentencing happens usually.

I wouldn't mind finding this info on my own, but really, I have no clue how to. It's just luck (??) that I can figure out how to post here.

Thanks guys!

And I posted this here because it is in the Fairfax County courts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2007 06:06PM by SaMiViMa.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Legal system question here.
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 11, 2007 06:17PM

It depends on the type of crime as to how the court will handle it.

Date: September 12, 2007 08:39AM

It is an involuntary manslaughter charge, if that helps.

Thanks!

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: September 12, 2007 08:48AM

Have your "friend" contact the local bar association. For a nominal fee, ($35-$50) he can "talk to a lawyer and the fee goes to charity.

I am no legal expert, but I would imagine that this charge is a very heavy one that would normally require at least some jail time. Was it drunk driving that caused the IVM? A bar fight? A jilted lover? These things I am sure come into play.

;
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: September 12, 2007 09:18AM

;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 11:37PM by inkahootz.

Date: September 12, 2007 09:44AM

I am not looking for a lawyer. I am sure there is already one involved. And the case was to go to trial on Monday. I was supposed to testify but got a call that the person was pleading guilty so I didn't need to be there. I was just wondering how it goes after the decision is made to plead guilty.

It was not a bar fight, jilted lover, or involve a vehicle.

If anyone knows how the system works and can answer the question, PM me and I will let you know more details. I guess I just want to know because this person was a friend once, and I guess I'm just a little nosey.

Thanks.

Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: September 12, 2007 09:55AM

SaMiViMa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was not a bar fight, jilted lover, or involve a vehicle.

So...your friend helped someone od?...was helping someone clean a gun??

> and I guess I'm just a little nosey.

so everyone else in this forum....

Date: September 12, 2007 10:11AM

I think, and I'm guessing here, what will happen is that your friend will still show up in court on Monday. The judge will read the charge and ask for the plea. Your friend will plead "guilty" and the State prosecutor will respond with agree or add any stipulation. Then the judge will set a date for a sentencing trial.

I hope he/she got some type of deal for pleading guilty. I don't think that I would ever plead guilty to anything.

Date: September 12, 2007 10:15AM

I am sure there was a deal. I don't know. They are not my friend any longer and I was actually set to testify against them.

Thanks for your help Lurker.

Date: September 12, 2007 10:27AM

I would call the court clerk to make sure if you plan on attending the hearing. The number should be on the letter or summons and ask if the trial will still be scheduled at the same time.

I am curious to hear what the clerk says.

Posted by: § ()
Date: September 12, 2007 07:46PM

The defense attorney calls the prosecutor's office directly to make plea arrangements. The prosecutor's office then notifies the clerk of the court to amend the docket. There's no need to wait until the hearing date. Plea amendments can be done anytime prior to the hearing.

You should call the clerk, with case # in hand, and ask if the new verdict has been filed. Some courts list their dockets on the internet as well -- you could check there. There will be a new hearing scheduled for your friend's disposition where you will find out how much time you have to mack on his girlfriend while he's away. -§

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 13, 2007 01:17AM

SaMiViMa Wrote:
> It is an involuntary manslaughter charge, if that
> helps.

involuntary as in shot him in the face with a gun involuntary? ;)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 13, 2007 08:44AM

OK. "He" is a she. And so am I.

And I don't know what "mack" means, but I don't think I want her S.O.

And Gravis, I always wondered about "involuntary" manslaughter. Is there a "voluntary" manslaughter?

Thank you all for your help everyone. Maybe I will call the courts. Wouldn't hurt to make sure it was the detective that called and not someone from the other side. ;)

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 13, 2007 08:57AM

Voluntary is where you intended to cause harm and wound up killing someone as a result. It's different than murder because they don't have to prove you acted in malice. Involuntary is when your criminally negligent behavior kills someone.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 13, 2007 09:11AM

Lurker. Wrote:

>I don't think that I would ever plead guilty to anything.

Don't think so? When you have some free time, you really should watch this http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/plea/ (online). Scary.

Date: September 13, 2007 10:09AM

Lurker. Wrote:

>
> I am curious to hear what the clerk says.

I called and the clerk said that there was a plea being entered on the 17. That's all she said.

So, I guess I'll find out the outcome after then. It may make the news, as it did when the crime was committed.

As I said, I knew this person once and I'm just nosey what happens now.

Again, thanks all!

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: September 14, 2007 01:45AM

At the plea, the judge in circuit court will read the indictment (unless the defendant waives the reading) and will then accept the plea document from the prosecuting attorney. The judge will then ask the defendant all the questions required by law and inform him of his rights (trial by jury, waive rights to appeal, plea freely and voluntarily,etc.). After all the hoopla the judge will most likely acknowledge that the defendant understands his rights and intends to plea guilty to a felony freely and voluntarily and without promise or coercion. The judge will then find him guilty and set a sentencing date, which usually happens within a month, to give the court time to get a pre-sentencing report. That is the gist of it.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: September 14, 2007 12:22PM

SaMiViMa Wrote:
> And Gravis, I always wondered about "involuntary"
> manslaughter. Is there a "voluntary"
> manslaughter?

yes: its just called "Manslaughter"

Date: September 14, 2007 01:40PM

trogdor! Wrote:
> Lurker. Wrote:
>
> >I don't think that I would ever plead guilty to
> anything.
>
> Don't think so? When you have some free time, you
> really should watch this
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/plea
> / (online). Scary.

Thanks for the link trodgor!

Frontline is one my favorite PBS shows along with NOVA and the Ken Burns series. I really like the fact that I can now watch all the PBS shows online. Shows on the Internet rock! Better than TiVo and Cable OnDemand.

Chapter three of the show is interesting. I didn't know people on probation had to pay "probation fees."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2007 01:42PM by Lurker..

Date: September 20, 2007 08:53AM

Hi all. I'm back with a related question.

Is there anyway I can go about finding out the sentence that this person received? Can I get it by calling the courts, the jail, or do I have to go to the courts? She is currently in the FFX ADC.

You guys are great!! (Most of you anyway!) :D

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.