HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Political signs on the roads and their removal
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 09, 2007 10:11PM

Am I alone in saying these things piss me off? I dont think they are legal, so can we get our friends Connely and cuccinelly arrested for putting them up?

Also, whats the legality of just pulling them out? Id love to take some down, especially those ones between Clifton rd and the parkway on rt 29. Damn they are thick there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Political signs on the roads and their removal
Posted by: Dave ()
Date: September 09, 2007 10:21PM

Surprise, surprise, the politicians have crafted the law so that political signs are exempt from the laws pertaining to signage posted on highway-rights-of way. If you are spotted removing the signs you could be arrested for larceny. I hate the signs as well and agree that they are litter on a stick.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: September 09, 2007 10:38PM

I saw a campaign sign the other day that said on the bottom: "sign permit #xxxxxx". Can't remember who the candidate was.

I don't mind the signs but why do they need like 50 of them for the same candidate at one intersection?

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: September 09, 2007 11:11PM

Herrity has one on Fairfax Parkway that blocks the view when you are turning left. It is the biggest sign for a politician I have ever seen.
I guess him getting elected is much more important than someone getting t-boned because they cant see oncoming traffic.

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: September 10, 2007 05:03AM

The Parkway is a mess with the signs, which is very distracting.

Of course, if these signs weren't endangering drivers, how would we know who's running? It's interesting how the names change as you cross the political subdivisions.

Of interest, also, are the really illegal signs posted with the legal ones. These are the folks who should be paying fines for unlawful posting. I often wonder if anyone is influenced and call any of these people--I make a point not to.

Posted by: qwertyuiop ()
Date: September 10, 2007 06:02AM

Isn't it at least legal to take them down after the election? We used to drive around and take them to use the stakes as kindling. They burned well but they would sort of "pop" a lot.

Posted by: bk ()
Date: September 10, 2007 09:47AM

Even if it's illegal to remove them (which of course it shouldn't be), it seems like you should just be able to pull them out of the ground and lay them face down on the ground if you were so motivated.

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: September 10, 2007 10:05AM

Herrity has one on Fairfax Parkway that blocks the view when you are turning left. It is the biggest sign for a politician I have ever seen.
I guess him getting elected is much more important than someone getting t-boned because they cant see oncoming traffic.

Where? I'm sure if you called his campaign office, he'd have it moved. If you're not so inclined, just call VDOT's maintenance number and tell them it's interfering with sight distance.

Date: September 10, 2007 07:08PM

And these modern signs don't have wooden stakes anymore....they use heavy gauge wire....which I imagine plays hell with the mowing equipment.

Date: September 10, 2007 07:29PM

It was on the Parkway at the old folks home. Someone either read the post or did it on their own but the sign is now on the ground. But no matter a hundred more have sprouted up to take its place.
If I called VDOT about every sign on the parkway that causes a sight hazard I would be on the phone for the next twenty years. They shouldnt be allowed on any public property. They are a hazard and a menance when mowing is done.
If someone feels so strongly about electing these parasites then put the sign in your own fucking front yard, but I forgot that would screw up the looks of your homne and we cant have that.

Date: September 11, 2007 10:51PM

I checked today and it is gone. But happily someone has placed over 40 Obrien signs in its place. I mean how many signs do you really need to get your point across to vote for whoever this asshat is.
I would slow to get a picture but it is a very dangerous part of the parkway and you dont dare slow down. Just go on the parkway east as you cross over 95 and they are right at the emergency vehicle turn sign going into the hospital. Be a shame if an ambulance turning left didnt see a car thanks to Obrien getting his message out there.
Yes I did call VDOT and the lady said they dont touch political signs as they are allowed, no limit either. I asked if they tear up the mowers with the metal sign posts and she said " yup sure do". Didnt sound like the first time she was asked that question.

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: September 12, 2007 02:26PM

Well, actually it evidently is illegal for the campaign signs to be posted. Check out this link:

http://bsdetector.blogspot.com/

He actually quotes the Code of Virginia and no where in it does it exempt campaign signs. I suspect it might be a local law, county by county, but I can't find anything that specifically says they can litter the roads as they do.

Posted by: hkjdnvk ()
Date: September 13, 2007 01:26AM

political signs....how bout go get laid...and u wudnt care...

Date: September 13, 2007 08:12PM

Thanks Suburbanite, I am going to call VDOT tomorrow and see what they have to say. I wouldnt be so pissed off but the things are everywhere. I think 40 signs on twenty yards of median is a little much for one candidate. In case you are wondering it is Jay Obrien for state senate. This jerk could fix the state budget crunch if he used the money he spent on signs and gave it to the state treasury.

If the house washers and buy your home now people dont get the prime free ad space then why should the politicians? At least the house washers do a service the politicians are just out to keep a cushy job and take care of their rich friends.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 14, 2007 04:14AM

hkjdnvk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> political signs....how bout go get laid...and u
> wudnt care...

what's your email address? i would like to sign you up for a lot of spam... you know, because "u wudnt care..."

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: September 14, 2007 07:53AM

I think they suck for having 11ty billion of em. What I have a problem with is the fact I never see anyone out there cleaning them up after the elections. I don't think those campaigners get back out there to do so. I think it's left up to the county's clean up people. Can anyone prove me wrong that campaigners don't go back out?

vaburbia.com

Date: September 14, 2007 08:44AM

I think it's left up to the county's clean up people

What county clean up people? The sheriff's team doesn't have that kind of manpower.

Date: September 14, 2007 05:59PM

Wait until the mowers start trying to cut the grass and they cough up those metal rods holding the signs in place. Nice to think of a pointed metal rod flying at you at 100 mph from the mower blades. But it is a small price to pay for the politicians to get their votes.

I wonder is a study was ever done to find out if someone can be influenced by thousands of signs on a one mile stretch of road to vote for Jay Obrien.
If any of his people are reading how about doing the right thing and take down the 40 plus signs you have blocking the view on the Parkway at the entrance to the Springfield Hospital.

The ambulances turn here and it would be nice if they had a clear view of oncoming traffic.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: September 14, 2007 07:00PM

MBF Wrote:
> I think it's left up to the county's clean up
> people
>
> What county clean up people? The sheriff's team
> doesn't have that kind of manpower.

Once in a while I see a FFX Co Police truck or other truck go around and take down signs.

vaburbia.com

Date: September 17, 2007 09:26AM

Once in a while I see a FFX Co Police truck or other truck go around and take down signs.

Exactly, that's why I mentioned the sheriff's office, but that's it. You don't see any other county trucks taking down signs because it's in the state right of way.

Posted by: joe d. ()
Date: September 17, 2007 09:36AM

Do you really ride down the road and think...Oh...I am going to change my vote...I know those things do not sway my vote....How bout the hill over by GMU, near Roberts I think it is...crazy!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:48PM

one of these days i am goign to be "distracted" by my phone or cd player and "accidentally" run down a swath of the signs

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 18, 2007 02:51PM

Next time I see a guy cutting grass next to the signs I'm going to flip him a five to keep right on going over the signs.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: September 18, 2007 03:10PM

rumor has it that there is a "interference with a political campaign" charge that you can get slapped with for removing the signs. I wasn't told whether that was a local, state, or federal "law" that established that "offense".

The source of this rumor said he and a buddy ran down the median on reston parkway with a geo tracker and wiped out a broad path of signs, and that they got pulled over by a cop who noticed the damage but didn't see it happen, and so couldn't nail them for anything.

YMMV.

Posted by: ladymacb29 ()
Date: September 22, 2007 10:31PM

Back home we have laws about how long you can have campaign signs up for and, I think, they have to have them *all* down within 48 hours of the election.

We don't really have this "let's put up 40 million signs five months before the election" problem.

Of course, they then put up fewer, but larger signs. Grr...

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: September 24, 2007 10:47AM

IANAL, but I'd bet it's legal to remove these signs from public areas.

From what I understand, permits are required for posting the signs; while it is rude to remove someone else's signs, I don't think there's anything saying you can't do it. I also believe there are fines for leaving a sign up after the date set in the permit.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 24, 2007 07:38PM

Where's the guy who painted the 95 signs when you need him.

Had I seen the guy who plowed down the signs with his GEO tracker I would of bought him a case of beer!

We need to get a petition together to get rid of those signs, it's way out of control. I've seen as many as 40 or 50 in a row for the same candidate with in feet of each other. It's makes the County look like a trash dump.

Posted by: JoshuaTree ()
Date: October 02, 2007 07:48PM

I don't care, the signs are obnoxious, and everywhere.

Drive up or down FFX Co Parkway, and there are like 20 in a row.

It's ugly.

Posted by: yo ()
Date: October 03, 2007 07:46PM

So's your mom.

Posted by: Volunteer ()
Date: October 06, 2007 02:49PM

I volunteered to put up political signs sparingly on rt 29 and rt 28 in the western part of the county. Hours later they were removed or surrounded by the opponent's signs. I think removing signs of the other political opponent is very mean spirited and shows lack of character.

Date: October 07, 2007 04:28PM

Volunteer Wrote:
> I think
> removing signs of the other political opponent is
> very mean spirited and shows lack of character.

i think the people putting up signs is a public nuisance specifically because YOU DONT EVER FUCKING TAKE THEM DOWN! DIE IN A FIRE.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Grav1s ()
Date: October 07, 2007 05:40PM

Gravis Wrote:
> Volunteer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think
> > removing signs of the other political opponent
> is
> > very mean spirited and shows lack of character.
>
> i think the people putting up signs is a public
> nuisance specifically because YOU DONT EVER
> FUCKING TAKE THEM DOWN! DIE IN A FIRE.

And YOu are a Moran whorshipper.

Drive the FFx Co. Parkway, it's a cluster f**k of Political signs, is ugly, and blocks views on intersections.

You Die In a Fire you stupid piece of shiat.

I really don't understand why you even post here. Your posts are alway mean, demeaning, and hate-ful.

OH!!! I'll bet your real last hame is Albo...

Maybe I'll make a late-night run and pull all that shiat up Albo.

Posted by: yo ()
Date: October 07, 2007 05:46PM

Gravis,

Hiding you email addy...???

What's up with that?

You speak like a County Official, yet hide. Publish it. I agree with the above poster, You have an aggenda that you are hiding.

Hi Albo -- waves --

Out of office soon... Count you days, plus I've seen multiple Ffx. Co. Bar complaints against you. Bye Bye...

Burger King is Hiring... ooops, maybe you shoud start at McDonald's and work you way up. You may achieve KFC one day.

Dick

Date: October 08, 2007 10:21PM

yo Wrote:
> Gravis,
>
> Hiding you email addy...???

yo, seriously, posting twice in a row is pathetic. if you wish to contact me, please just send me a PM.

Date: October 09, 2007 07:33PM

Hey, anybody go by Braddock & Shirley Gate RDs today?

There's a hillside there that is peppered with political signs...a hundred or more including the huge ones. Somebody went through there like a tornado and stomped them all to the ground. LOL

Date: October 09, 2007 07:37PM

I will give credit where credit is due. I wrote to the Cuccinelli website and asked them to take down the huge sign on the Fairfax Parkway eastbound at Rolling Road. In the morning it blocks the view of the stopped cars just around the bend and was a hazard. Either someone from his staff or an angry driver had it down the next day.

Posted by: Finch ()
Date: October 09, 2007 10:39PM

My big complaint is that graffiti is illegal, but these signs aren't.

One of my friends is talking about putting up his own signs.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 10, 2007 08:50AM

Finch Wrote:
> My big complaint is that graffiti is illegal, but
> these signs aren't.

LOL. Hey, you should go write some letters to your local congressmen and county supervisors, explaining to them the benefits of legalized graffiti. Let them know that you and your friends (the ones putting their own signs up), will no longer stand for the gross injustices against our nation's spraypainters. Let your voice be heard!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.