HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How is the GSM coverage in this area?
Date: September 09, 2007 02:04AM

I was wondering how good the GSM cellular coverage (Att/Cingular et al) is in this area. How does it compare to Verizon's CDMA coverage, for instance?

I think Verizon is supposed to have the best coverage, but I think the GSM phones are better. I like that all you have to do is switch SIM cards, and I think that AT&T doesn't cripple the phones like Verizon does. I want good coverage though, in case of an emergency.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How is the GSM coverage in this area?
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 10, 2007 03:27PM

Ahh yeah thats the problem. Verizon has great coverage (everywhere but the very center of clifton) but they disable just about everything in their phones so its gay.

Cingular makes great phones (so ive heard) but coverage is spotty in many places. So much for fewest dropped calls. But i imagine the service must be moderatly ok since many ppl i know use it

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 10, 2007 03:44PM

I was talking with my neighbor over the weekend and he said they would have to to pry his cingular phone from his dead hands before he switched to another provider. He swears it has the best coverage all of the phones he has owned.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: September 10, 2007 03:46PM

Phone doesn't mean much, if you can't get a signal when you need it.

Verizon has very good coverage in the DC area, and if you consider wireless data, EVDO is a way to go, no questions asked.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: September 10, 2007 03:53PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Cingular makes great phones (so ive heard) but
> coverage is spotty in many places. So much for
> fewest dropped calls. But i imagine the service
> must be moderatly ok since many ppl i know use it

Cingular doesn't make phones as far as I know, but yes their coverage can be spotty at times.

Posted by: huge phone user ()
Date: September 10, 2007 05:01PM

I can tell you after having used many carriers that in major metro areas, coverage is going to be a wash for the most part.

If you go to Cingular/AT&T's Web site they have street-level maps of coverage strength so you can check that out.

My suggestion is to go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap $20 Cingular/AT&T prepaid Motorola phone and make test calls with it in areas you use most. That way you don't have to deal with any contract issues and you can test at your own pace. If you like the coverage then you can port, plus use the cheapo phone as a backup (with a SIM-swap).

I was with Verizon for years, but after a while I couldn't stand the difficulties one has with changing phones for a weekend on Verizon... often it doesn't work with their online tool, and when you call them to make the change they try to hit you with a $20 charge to do it. $40 total to change a phone for a weekend and change it back? No fucking way. I'll take the SIM swap route thanks.

Posted by: pohyh ()
Date: September 10, 2007 05:11PM

This is a major area; coverage is fine. The only thing that may hinder your signal is the type of building you're in. All phones you get from the carrier will be branded and crippled to a certain extent. If you're not going to be getting the phone from the carrier, make sure your phone is compatible with the intended network (850/1900 for At&t).

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: September 10, 2007 06:57PM

T-Mobile offers street-level maps of exactly where their towers are and what kind of service you can expect: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/default.aspx?zip=22030

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 13, 2007 12:19AM

all these problems would go away if they just unified the systems like they did with telephone lines. if such was done, you could use either band. this would also prompt installing hardware for the better of the two protocols. the current wasy cellphone system works is fucking stupid.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: September 13, 2007 12:36PM

I use to have T-mobile and I use to bitch about the service. I got verizon and it's not bad but not much better then T-mobile. Nice thing about verizon is it works in the metro.

EoM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.